PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2011, 1:09 AM
Dammit. My really insightful post didn't go through!

Oh well. Coles notes:

740,000 in forty years? Out of the question. We don't have a city the size of Toronto spilling over into our borders.

200,000 in twenty years, very feasible. We may be hurt by dwindling numbers from northern NB, but the economy is strong and diversified. it wouldnt' take long for the slowdown in population growth to cause a real strain on employment growth. This would make the city that much more attractive to immigrants and migrants from the rest of Canada.

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2011, 1:11 AM
And you're quite right. Urban sprawl will be an ever-increasing issue here. The city has no natural constraints on any side. Land is extremely cheap by national standards. And low housing costs mean just about anyone can afford a single detached home.

Jstaleness
Feb 12, 2011, 2:05 AM
As you probably realized the comparison wasn't necessarily about the numbers but more of about how quickly a place can go from small to populated. I think it's pretty fair to say that Moncton could be at 200,000 within 20 years. Maybe more if it continues to out perform Saint John and Freddy as the place to be in Southern NB.

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2011, 2:31 AM
Fredericton's growing quickly, yes. But Moncton has a 50-60,000 person head start, which would take a massive growth spurt to overcome. Saint John has seen relatively slow growth over the last decade, but growth nonetheless.

Very little growth in the region has come at the expense of the other two cities.

Regardless of how each city does on it's own, it's critical for the entire province for all three cities to succeed.

LordFalchion
Feb 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
:previous:

Costco would certainly appeal to a different demographic than David Tea or Victoria's Secret.............:haha:

Champlain Place is actively promoting itself as a "fashion mall", which means that there isn't too much there for male members of the population.

As far as Costco is concerned, I don't get the impression that the Moncton location is that much less busy than before the SJ Costco opened. I think the majority of the shoppers there are local, from the north of the province and from PEI and northern NS.

Not sure what you mean by, "Champlain Place is actively promoting itself as a "fashion mall", which means that there isn't too much there for male members of the population. "

Can't males have fashion? Just wondering.

MonctonRad
Feb 13, 2011, 1:01 AM

Yes, of course you're right, but most men do not lay as much emphasis on fashion as women do.

The vast majority of new store openings in Champlain over the last several years have clearly been oriented towards women (clothing, jewelry, lingerie, housewares & linen etc). Meanwhile, male friendly stores such as Future Shop have decamped for stand alone stores in the power centre. As such, the balance at Champlain has clearly been tipped in favour of the fairer sex.

This is actually a smart move on the malls part. Studies have clearly shown that it is women who control most of the financial decision making in the household and also are responsible for at least 80% of the shopping.

It only makes sense that Champlain would target this demographic. :)

NBNYer
Feb 13, 2011, 1:55 AM
I'm not convinced that Champlain Place made a conscious decision to shift towards more women's fashion retailers. It's just that the majority of what's out there is women's fashion.

I'm reluctant to call Champlain Place a "fashion mall" as long as Wal-mart is in the mix. Having The Bay fill that spot would improve the mall's status I think.

LordFalchion
Feb 13, 2011, 7:18 PM
I have been to some very large malls in the US and they seem to have a good mix between women's and men's fashion. Right now there isn't much choice out there for a men's "fashion" store. You will find stores that have both men's and women's (Eddie Bauer, HM, Gap etc). I have been in some of those "men's fashion" stores and they don't give you the time of day (depending on how you are dressed when you walk in) or they do not have the selection.

mylesmalley
Feb 13, 2011, 7:58 PM
I like the selection at Tip Top, but I've found there's a direct correlation between the level of service you get, and the quality of sport-coat or suit you're wearing when you walk in.

David_99
Feb 13, 2011, 10:44 PM
I like the selection at Tip Top, but I've found there's a direct correlation between the level of service you get, and the quality of sport-coat or suit you're wearing when you walk in.

Not me! I get service right away. It helps that years ago I taught two of the salesmen Graphic Design... Although that doesn't say much for my teaching ability...

mylesmalley
Feb 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Inside connections always help!

I've found the same thing at their Fredericton store as well. Maybe it's just a quirk of corporate culture.

MonctonRad
Feb 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Luckily I don't have to wear suits at the hospital. :haha:

That's probably why fashion is anathema to me. :tup:

theshark
Feb 13, 2011, 11:46 PM

I hear!!! ya work uniforms are the best!

MonctonRad
Feb 14, 2011, 2:33 PM
Things are quiet lately.

The old Ponderosa location on Mountain Road didn't stay vacant long.

I just noticed that Maritime Beauty Supplies is moving in there.

Taeolas
Feb 14, 2011, 11:18 PM

Welcome to the forums LordFalchion.

Yes, I've seen the sign today too. It's interesting to note that the store will be renamed GameStop, which is the US parent company of EB Games.......I wonder if they will be renaming the entire chain or only certain stores.

The EBGames in Regent Mall in Fredericton has moved to a temporary location and renamed itself Gamestop as well; and they're renovating the original one into a permanant Gamestop location. I'm sure the one on Prospect street will be renamed at some point too.

So all in all, I suspect that EBGames Canada is disappearing for Gamestop Canada.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 15, 2011, 4:23 AM
The EBGames in Regent Mall in Fredericton has moved to a temporary location and renamed itself Gamestop as well; and they're renovating the original one into a permanant Gamestop location. I'm sure the one on Prospect street will be renamed at some point too.

So all in all, I suspect that EBGames Canada is disappearing for Gamestop Canada.

They were always the same weren't they? Kinda of like Best Buy and Future Shop or CD Plus and Zeus, Indigo, Chapters, Coles ect.

Taeolas
Feb 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
Not always the same, Gamestop bought out EBGames years ago, but the name stuck around, with "Gamestop" in smaller print usually. But it looks like they're finally getting ready to get rid of the game.

mmmatt
Feb 15, 2011, 7:39 PM

Speaking of YOUR work outfits...a new scrub store opened up in Dieppe across from Jean Coutou on Champlain...was in there the other day with my wife...they have a decent selection (all MOBB)

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2011, 2:51 AM
Moncton Flight College in receivership
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 | 7:41 PM AT
CBC News

The Moncton Flight College is in receivership.

Matthew Harris of Ernst and Young confirmed to Radio-Canada Tuesday that his company had been brought in as receiver.

Harris said all 110 staff have been retained and classes continue at the Moncton campus as attempts are made to sort out the financial situation.

An agreement is being negotated with CANLink Aviation, which runs the college's Fredericton campus, to take over the Moncton operation.

The college was founded in 1929 and teaches hundreds of students each year.

Harris said he's hopeful that a deal will be reached by the end of the week and that Canlink could take over the Moncton campus permanently in eight to 10 weeks.

Last January, Business New Brunswick provided the college, which bills itself as one of the largest and oldest flight schools in the country, with a $1.5-million repayable loan. A Business New Brunswick spokesperson says no payment has been made on that loan to date.

The Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour had also previously handed over $184,000 to subsidize wages for 41 employees.

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2011, 2:41 PM

From the sounds of it, this will end up being more of a reorganization of the business than anything else.

MFC has always been a "not for profit" company, which made it difficult for them to borrow for ongoing operational needs. This was the source of their current financial distress. CANLink (their Fredericton subcontractor) on the other hand is a traditional for-profit enterprise, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The transition will hopefully be smooth and in the meantime the business will continue to operate normally.

With over 250 students and 110 employees, MFC is one of the largest (if not the largest) flight training academies in the country. It has a formal relationship with Mount Allison University so that a bachelors degree in aviation can be offered.

mylesmalley
Feb 16, 2011, 5:36 PM
They have a similar program through UNB at the school in Fredericton.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2011, 1:32 AM
Staff, students to return to Moncton High School

New school planned to replace 75-year-old building in 2013
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 | 7:13 PM AT CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/01/08/tp-moncton-high.jpg
Moncton High School was closed last year so engineers could examine the 75-year-old building. (CBC)

Moncton High School will be replaced by a new, state-of-the-art building, New Brunswick's education minister said Wednesday, but staff and students will have to return to the old one in the fall.

Jody Carr said the new school is scheduled to open in 2013. The location and design of the school will be determined in consultation with parents and with the local school district, he said.

Roughly 1,300 students and staff members were displaced in October when the 75-year-old Moncton High School closed due to environmental and safety concerns over the building. The students are finishing the year at a range of other schools around the city. The minister told staff and students they will return to the old school in the fall.

Many teachers told CBC News they were disappointed with having to return to what they see as an unsafe environment and planned to seek legal advice to prevent the government from compelling them to do so. None wished to go on the record for fear of ramifications.

Carr said the government would provide $2 million in remediation so students and teachers could use the current school and that it would be inspected first.

"The [new] school will provide anglophone high school students in Moncton with a modern and dynamic learning environment, complete with all the tools their teachers require to provide an enriched educational experience," Carr said in a media release.

Preserving old school

Claude Williams, the transportation and infrastructure minister, said they will talk to developers and community organizations about how they might use the old school when the new one opens.

"The provincial government understands how important Moncton High School is to the community of Moncton," Williams said. "Our goal is to preserve this building for the enjoyment of future generations."

"I understand the uncertainty surrounding the future of Moncton High School has been challenging for everyone impacted by the unexpected closure of the school last fall," Carr added. "I would like to commend all parties …. students, parents, teachers and support staff for being engaged in the development of tangible solutions."

The provincial government set aside $10 million in the 2011-12 budget to begin the new school.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/02/16/nb-new-moncton-high-school.html#ixzz1E83QLe86

Personal note:

I'm not sure if the government will satisfy anyone with this decision (except for perhaps the parents associations at Edith Cavell and Northrop Frye schools).

Most people will be disappointed that the grand old dame (the existing MHS) will be decommissioned in 2013. It is a building with distinctive architecture and a distinguished history. It will be sorely missed. I'm sure that whatever "modern" building that replaces it will be a non-descript cookie cutter high school that would not look out of place in Mississauga or Richmond BC (yawn). It will have no sense of place or of history.

It will be interesting to see if the new MHS will be located downtown somewhere. I certainly hope so. If we are ever going to make any headway on densification of the core, then we must maintain a downtown infrastructure of schools, churches, recreational facilities and basic retailing.

Where will they build it? I suppose they could perhaps put it in the existing MHS parking lot, but that would be pretty tight. The old CFB Moncton property would be large enough but this site is within spitting distance of Harrison Trimble High School. I don't know if the province would put two anglophone high schools less than a km from each other. I fear that they might locate the new MHS in the Lewisville area of the city and thus abandon the core. Thoughts anyone?

And of course we must consider what happens to the old building itself. If it isn't used for a high school then what? The auditorium certainly would be valuable as a community arts centre, but I fear that the rest of the building would be difficult to repurpose and could lay abandoned for a decade or so before ultimately being torn down.

I have no illusions that the old MHS will be saved.... :(

mylesmalley
Feb 17, 2011, 1:51 AM
So where would a new school go? High schools seem to have a larger dependence on bussing, so location is a little more flexible than an elementary school. But for practical purposes, you'd want it to be as close to as many students as possible. The only end of town that doesn't currently have a school is the north end. But then again, the East End is only served by a French school. Would it make more sense to put one next to l'Odyssee? Or something out on Gorge Road?

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2011, 2:00 AM
So where would a new school go? High schools seem to have a larger dependence on bussing, so location is a little more flexible than an elementary school. But for practical purposes, you'd want it to be as close to as many students as possible. The only end of town that doesn't currently have a school is the north end. But then again, the East End is only served by a French school. Would it make more sense to put one next to l'Odyssee? Or something out on Gorge Road?

You could put the new MHS in the northwest end. It's the fastest growing section of the city and there are at least 25,000 people living west of Wheeler Blvd. The collector high school for this neighbourhood is currently Bernice McNaughton.

If the new MHS was built in the northwest end, then BMHS could be repositioned as the high school for downtown Moncton (and the east end). This would cause a topsy-turvey shift in school loyalties though, with current BMHS students suddenly going to MHS and vise-versa. I can't see it happening.

I think building the new MHS in the Lewisville area is more attractive. Many of the existing MHS students are from the east end (and even bussed from as far away as Shediac (and beyond)). If you want to maintain the same catchment area for MHS, an east end location makes most sense.

Of course, I would prefer that they built it downtown instead....

macas539
Feb 17, 2011, 2:08 AM
As a graduate from Moncton High School (class of '05) I am saddened by the fate of the school. A new high school would definitely be the best option for students, but I hope that they will find some way of preserving the old building in its entirety. I also hope they can find a way to keep it useful to the community so that it doesn't merely lay empty and in disrepair.

Perhaps use the rest of the building as some sort of heritage museum? Give tours of the building to show how it has played such a role in the city's history. Maybe even open up some sort of public library or city archives centre. If it doesn't work as a public school maybe it could be turned into a campus for a post secondary institution?

Those are just my wild thoughts. I fear that if the building merely lays vacant it will just deteriorate even more and will eventually just be torn down. In order for it to be saved it must have a usefulness to the community. More must be done to save it! Moncton has lost a lot of nice older buildings that were really part of the city's culture. I think that this one should be saved! I know development of new buildings is necessary for the growth of a city but I don't understand why cities feel the need to tear every old building down in favour of new buildings that don't reflect the culture of the region.

mylesmalley
Feb 17, 2011, 2:22 AM
There's plenty of land along Assumption...

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2011, 2:29 AM
There's plenty of land along Assumption...

True, but I think that land would be more profitably used for mixed use developments, condos and commercial complexes.

mylesmalley
Feb 17, 2011, 2:36 AM
I agree. Though it would be neat to have a high-rise high school in Atlantic Canada.

Not to mention you could make the case that it'd be good for the local merchants.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2011, 2:44 AM
Perhaps use the rest of the building as some sort of heritage museum? Give tours of the building to show how it has played such a role in the city's history. Maybe even open up some sort of public library or city archives centre. If it doesn't work as a public school maybe it could be turned into a campus for a post secondary institution?

All excellent thought macas539

When you think of it, the city is planning on expanding the Moncton Museum with a new "transportation discovery centre". Perhaps it would make sense to relocate the entire museum to the MHS site. The gothic architecture of MHS would be ideal for a museum! :tup:

Alternatively, using the building for a post secondary education purpose is also a very good idea. I have always fantasized about a (secondary) Moncton campus for Mount Allison University.........

Perhaps there is hope for the Grand Old Dame after all.

macas539
Feb 17, 2011, 3:29 AM
The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto has an older section to it that is similar to the Gothic style of MHS.

If they were to turn MHS into a museum, it would take a lot of restructuring inside to utilize it as such. But I'm sure it could be done.

I also think the location would make a wonderful building to host a centre for the performing arts. The auditorium would definitely be great for shows and what not. I think Moncton could use a facility that caters to people who want to get into acting and singing and dancing. It would be great to have it all combined into one location.

I also hope that once the new high school is opened they will still return to the old school to make use of the old buildings auditorium for the drama club and to put on shows. I used to love watching the plays and musicals there!

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 17, 2011, 2:04 PM
Really, Really saddened by this decision by the government...and I didn't even go there and am not originally from Moncton.

This is a really bad decision...so they are putting $12 Million dollars into the remediation and the construction of a new school...that would go a long way into the needed renovations of MHS.

What happened to partially replacing parts of MHS with modern structures?

JL

Sunnybrae
Feb 17, 2011, 3:04 PM
I wonder if the track & field down on the marsh off Church St. and along side Wheeler could fit a new MHS. Does UdeM own the land?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=moncton&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.024225,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Moncton,+Westmorland+County,+New+Brunswick&ll=46.098219,-64.78112&spn=0.00523,0.01369&t=h&z=17

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 17, 2011, 5:58 PM
I wonder if the track & field down on the marsh off Church St. and along side Wheeler could fit a new MHS. Does UdeM own the land?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=moncton&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.024225,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Moncton,+Westmorland+County,+New+Brunswick&ll=46.098219,-64.78112&spn=0.00523,0.01369&t=h&z=17

I was thinking the same spot actually...but it will likely be an ugly concrete box like the new school on Ryan St. :yuck: :hell:

JL

acrew79
Feb 17, 2011, 6:12 PM
As a grad of MHS - Class of 97.

Sure this school / building has great history. I am glad the government has decided not to tear it down. I believe the governments decision is a WIN/WIN simply for the fact that 1.. the building will be staying untouched, 2. Students get a new updated school to facilitate their education..

Yes.. so the building wont be MHS anymore.. the same thing happened in 1935 when Aberdeen was decommissioned as moncton's High School.. its simply a changing of the venue..

The arguments we were having was wether or not to tear it down.. I prefer having the Building saved and decommissioned.. rather than parts rebuilt for the sake of keeping it a school.

NEW VENUE

1. I will be saddened that the new school as with all new governement buildings are cookie cutter, " shipped-in-a-box" constructions ( ie.. rogers call centre, all blgs at Emmerson Tech park, the new northrupt Fry school). I can only assume that MHS2 will be similar.

2. Location. the government will be looking at areas that are large enough to have a proper football/ track field on school property. so ultimately .. that will definately reduce the amount of viable options especially if they are looking at the Downtown Core..

3. Optoins -
a. Perhaps building the school in the Emmersion buisiness park. ? its next to the four Plex and therefore they dont need to build a field. Lots of Bussing options.. still Downtown. and Ultimately Safe.. and since the province seems to like putting schools next to round-abouts ( new french one in Ryan street).. then the new school would be a perfect fit right next to the proposed 6 way roundabout planned for R.Howard, Purdy, Killam, Collishaw. :D

B. Lewisville area is fine.. however.. i find it very out of the way.. but like previous posters have mentioned.. most of the Populous of MHS came from the Lewisville,Humphrey area. :rolleyes:

C. I personally dont think the North End is the answer.. there are already 2 new schools up there.( 1 done.. 1 planned) . if they are going to look at population .. they would be more apt to build the school in Dieppe ( HA HA) .. afterall.. the Moncton Airport was in Dieppe for years before it was renamed to Greater Moncton Airport :P why not put the HS in Dieppe and call it the Greater Moncton High School? ( i know awful thought... no offence dieppe) . :haha:

Toughts??? :shrug:

Cheers :cheers:

Sunnybrae
Feb 17, 2011, 6:54 PM

I certainly don't know what the criteria for site selection is for a new high school, but is a "proper" track/football field a necessity considering the original location didn't have one?

acrew79
Feb 17, 2011, 6:57 PM

I certainly don't know what the criteria for site selection is for a new high school, but is a "proper" track/football field a necessity considering the original location didn't have one?

Not sure if it a "requirement" however, i heard in an interview this morning that "they" would like to make it an option.. since the current HS doesnt have one.. etc..

Sunnybrae
Feb 17, 2011, 7:29 PM
Wow, that does limit selection then if you want to stay close to downtown. Only other spot I can think of would be behind the Nissan dealership. I guess the only thing for sure is that whatever location is selected, there will be controversy.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2011, 7:53 PM
Wow, that does limit selection then if you want to stay close to downtown. Only other spot I can think of would be behind the Nissan dealership. I guess the only thing for sure is that whatever location is selected, there will be controversy.

I hadn't thought of the land behing the Nissan dealership. That might work.

The trouble with this land (and the old CFB Moncton property), is that they are old industrial lands and might require extensive remediation. I can't imagine the government wanting to cough up the money for this......

Emerson Park has already been remediated. Lewisville remains a consideration.

I would think they definitely would want a sports field at the new school. My son is on the BMHS football team and they make use of the sports fields behind their school all the time.

So, list of possible sites for the new school:

- CFB Moncton (brownfield)
- Emerson Business Park
- Behind Nissan dealership (south of West Main St., another brownfield)
- Football field behind DFO (probably too small).
- Lewisville (somewhere)

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 17, 2011, 8:29 PM
Personally I don't like the idea of Lewisville...should stay in the 'core-ish' area of town.

Emerson is my vote...

BlackYear
Feb 18, 2011, 12:42 AM
Emerson has my vote for the perfect location.

- 11 baseball fields within view
- 2 hockey rinks within view
- 5 soccer fields within view
- an indoor soccer/golf dome within view
- YMCA across the street
- Vaughan Harvey & Millennium blvd infrastructure already set
- Centennial Park within walking distance
- Centrally located inside the Wheeler blvd circle
- Room enough to add a track&field which will blend nicely with the soccer fields.
- Walking distance to many corner stores. Yes, kids do have money to spend on lunch hours.

So there you have it. No reasons not to build a modern, high efficient, technologically advanced, multi-level high school right there in this spot.

Kids will be begging their parents to go to school everyday if you let me design this facility. :worship:

David_99
Feb 18, 2011, 2:07 AM
Emerson has my vote for the perfect location.

- 11 baseball fields within view
- 2 hockey rinks within view
- 5 soccer fields within view
- an indoor soccer/golf dome within view
- YMCA across the street
- Vaughan Harvey & Millennium blvd infrastructure already set
- Centennial Park within walking distance
- Centrally located inside the Wheeler blvd circle
- Room enough to add a track&field which will blend nicely with the soccer fields.
- Walking distance to many corner stores. Yes, kids do have money to spend on lunch hours.

Also about a 3 minute walk to Tremble :haha:

For some reason I always thought that'd be a nice spot for a UNB Moncton Campus.

mylesmalley
Feb 18, 2011, 2:21 AM
Also about a 3 minute walk to Tremble :haha:

For some reason I always thought that'd be a nice spot for a UNB Moncton Campus.

Or a 5 minute walk to Bernice MacNaughton!

And yeah, you're right. that'd make a great spot for a university campus - centrally located, adjacent to great facilities, and a much better use of land than big-box call center buildings. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Unless of course the city decides to give another wad of money to Crandall. But I don't want to see a university there that badly...

BlackYear
Feb 18, 2011, 3:40 AM
Ok, so maybe it is too close to MacNoughton and Harrison Trimble.

Plan B, or maybe this is plan A.

How about this location. Across from the CBC & George Dumont Hospital, next to Ocean & Fisheries? The old "Lanes Bakery" lot.

In the image below, there's already 2 houses in the blue box which have been demolished. You can easily expropriate the other homes.

This footprint is big enough to offer underground parking for the teachers and staff, bus access from both University Ave & Lutz, a new main floor gymnasium, new main floor theatre and cafeteria, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and possibly 5th floor classrooms with a roof top ecosystem.

Modern multi-level futuristic facility with plenty of large windows. Think outside the box.

The track & field is right there in the backyard, kids still have access to all of the same stores in the neighborhood, lots of room to expand parking facility next to the T&F area.

You can even link a new road that connects Lutz to University Ave. next to the school, which will provide drop off access points to the school on 3 sides.

You're welcome Moncton! :worship:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/newMMH2.jpg

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 18, 2011, 5:37 AM
What about off of assumption somewhere near the new bridge. They have a bunch of fields down there. Or in the Vision lands?

mylesmalley
Feb 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
Neat idea, but there are a few issues with that lot.

- the cost would be enormous
- high school construction in NB over the past few years (St Anne in Freddy, l'Odyssee on MacLaughlan) has shown that a fairly significant piece of land gets used up for bus drop off areas, and their turning around. I just don't see where you'd have room for that many buses on that lot. Let alone how badly they'd tie up traffic by the hospital.
- I'm sure someone would make the point that putting a school next to a hospital might open the area up for accidents or people hospital bound getting stuck behind stopped busses...

David_99
Feb 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
- I'm sure someone would make the point that putting a school next to a hospital might open the area up for accidents or people hospital bound getting stuck behind stopped busses...

I could see a schoolbus stop with it's red flashing stop sign sticking out, not allowing an ambulance to pass it.

MonctonRad
Feb 18, 2011, 12:37 PM
Moncton High plan angers heritage supporters
Last Updated: Friday, February 18, 2011 | 6:41 AM AT CBC News

Heritage preservationists are upset about the provincial government's plan to stop using Moncton High as a school.

Education Minister Jody Carr announced this week the 75-year-old building will no longer be used as a school after 2013.

Carr said the provincial government will look for development opportunities to find an alternate use for the school.

Moncton Coun. Paulette Theriault said she's totally against the idea of turning Moncton High School into something else.

The city councillor, who is a member of the heritage board, said Moncton High should remain a school.

"It's more than just preservation of a building. It's also keeping people in our downtown," Theriault said.

"We want to keep our city alive and we have a vision for how we want to develop our downtown — Moncton High School is a part of that."

Meanwhile, Theriault said even if it involves fundraising, Moncton High should be saved.

And although the provincial government has made a decision on it's future, she said she's not giving up the fight.

School needed downtown
Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said people on the heritage board are concerned with the provincial government's plan for Moncton High.

"I'm sure that they many of them would like to see it continue on in its use as a school but from a heritage standpoint certainly it's important that we do all we can to try and restore and make that building, provide a good use for that building," LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc said he's also concerned the new school won't be built in the downtown core, which he said is necessary for a healthy and vibrant downtown.

The provincial government will invest $2 million in repairs to make Moncton High School safe for reopening.

Carr said he the building will be safe for students and staff to return to the school in the fall. A new school will be built in Moncton and should be ready for students in two years.

Dick Carpenter, a Moncton property developer, has been involved in a number of high-profile restorations, including the Eaton's building and the old Marvin's building.

He said Moncton High is an architectural gem and should be used for its original purpose.

"It is a school and that's the highest and best use if I were looking for the highest and best use for a building it's as school," Carpenter said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/02/18/nb-moncton-high-heritage-554.html#ixzz1EJUdNQPO

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 18, 2011, 1:56 PM
Porter Expanding Moncton Service...

Daily flights to Ottawa and Toronto to begin in March; twice-daily flights will be offered in June

By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

Porter Airlines is expanding its service in Moncton and in April will begin offering a daily round-trip flight from here to Ottawa, continuing to Toronto.
In the busy summer season, Canada's third-largest scheduled carrier will double its Moncton schedule, providing twice-daily round trips to the Ontario cities.

Currently, the airline offers four round-trip flights each week to Ottawa, continuing to Porter's downtown base at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

Brad Cicero, spokesman for the airline, says Porter is in the process of acquiring two more Bombardier Q-400 turboprops, which is allowing them to expand service in certain markets.

Cicero says Atlantic Canada as a whole has been good for the airline, which also has flights to and from Halifax and St. John's.

"We've been able to get a lot of good support in the entire region as we've grown," he says.

Porter announced its Moncton plans yesterday, in addition to plans to bolster its Montreal-Halifax service and St. John's-Montreal service, which connects in Halifax. Additional flights between Toronto and Ottawa were also announced.

The new schedule begins April 13.

The twice-daily summer schedule on the Moncton-Ottawa-Toronto route begins June 27.

Rob Robichaud, president and CEO of the Greater Moncton International Airport, says the additional flights in and out of Moncton provide "tremendous flexibility" to Metro Moncton and to the province.

"It clearly cements Porter's service within New Brunswick," he says.

"It provides our community with daily service - you no longer have to worry about when you get back and forth from Toronto Island; you now can plan your meetings and know that you're going to get back the next day."

Robichaud "hopes it's the beginning of something even bigger down the road," for the airport and Porter.

Kevin Silliker, director of business and tourism development with the City of Moncton, says the city also hopes Porter adds additional flights from Moncton to other destinations in the future.

"The more connections that we have, the more opportunities abound in meeting and convention markets," Silliker says. "It's all about moving people in and out of your centre, and having additional flights really aids our business model as far as promoting Moncton as a meetings and convention destination."

Cicero says there are no other new flights or plans to announce at this time.

"We'll take it step by step," he says. "We're kind of restricted in terms of aircraft availability, so we want to make sure that we're supporting the markets that we're in, at the same time growing a little bit beyond that as time goes on."

In addition to providing businesspeople in Metro with direct flights to our nation's capital and to the hub of the Canadian business world, connectivity is key when it comes to landing major events in Moncton, Silliker explains.

He uses Moncton's successful hosting of the IAAF World Junior Championships last summer and its bid to host the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup as examples.

"All of these things, when you submit proposals, they ask about connectivity and being able to move participants or media or event-goers in and out of your city centre."

He says that the Greater Moncton International Airport is a big asset the city leverages regularly in trying to attract business and events.

Silliker notes that with more airlines and options available to consumers, they also benefit from increased competition.

Porter Airlines has captured a niche in the Canadian airline market, offering comfortable airport lounges, free in-flight wine, beer and premium snacks aboard modern turboprop aircraft that cruise at speeds comparable with jets.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=665884&size=500x0

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1381339

MonctonRad
Feb 18, 2011, 2:06 PM

The people in SJ and Freddy won't be happy about this. They were lobbying for Porter to start serving their airports instead.

I do agree about the improved flexibilty that additional flights to the GMIA will bring. I was in Toronto in the fall and would have tried out Porter, but at the time, the scheduling out of the GMIA made it impractical. I flew Air Canada instead.

Good news! :tup:

nwalbert
Feb 18, 2011, 5:29 PM

The people in SJ and Freddy won't be happy about this. They were lobbying for Porter to start serving their airports instead.

I do agree about the improved flexibilty that additional flights to the GMIA will bring. I was in Toronto in the fall and would have tried out Porter, but at the time, the scheduling out of the GMIA made it impractical. I flew Air Canada instead.

Good news! :tup:

This may be the best thing that could have happened for the province as a whole. An attempt to consolidate the routes in one hub.

Unfortunately I think the route will be gone within 12 months as there will not be enough passengers to sustain it, but only time will tell. Business people typically dont use Porter as it lacks a FF program, and most tourists are going to the US.

BlackYear
Feb 19, 2011, 4:02 AM
I'm still liking this idea, so here's a little something more.

Providence St is extended straight through to Lutz with this new corner having signal lights.

Parking lot across the school dedicated to buses only. Entry to parking lot is one way. All buses will exit onto University Ave. Entry can be done down Lutz or any side streets off Church street.

Underground garage for teachers and staff can be accessed off Lutz street.

The building on the lot is a copy from UdeM. Not sure which building it is, but I like the design. It's only a 2 story, but you can always go up as needed. 3 or 4 floors.

Again, lots of room for more parking down the hill next to the track & field.

There's only half a dozen homes that would need be expropriated. Most of them are not even maintained anyways, last time I drove by.

I think this area would work fine.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/MHS1.jpg

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 19, 2011, 5:57 AM
Build a 3-4 storey uniquely designed High School on the corner northwest corner of Foundry and Assumption. Take out part of waterloo street.
Hire Ekistics (http://www.ekistics.net/) to do the design of the building, the landscape and to redesign the fields south of Assumption Blvd. to best fit the needs of the school. The school would feature a Gymnasium (with bench seats for up to 500 per side and a balcony with seats for 250 per side with a running track behind the seats, Cafeteria-Auditorium with seating for up to 1000 for assemblies; 500 for banquets. , Automotive Shop, Woodworking Shop, Welding Shop, Computer Labs, Band Room, with Dramatic Arts Theatre (with seating for up to 1,500: main floor 750, balcony 2 500, balcony 3 250)
Don't hold anything back from this school. Having it be right downtown is the perfect oppourtunity to give it this big theatre and big gymnasium.

David_99
Feb 19, 2011, 6:59 PM
Good job, man! Also there's a white apt building behind your school. That lot would be great for teacher parking. (no offense to people that live there!)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/MHS1.jpg

MonctonRad
Feb 19, 2011, 7:07 PM
I still think Budyser that this is way too small a footprint for a new MHS. I think you would have to expropriate the whole city block to make this happen. Also, with the Dumont Hospital, the CBC, the Gulf Fisheries Centre and the St. Pat's Family Centre all next door, that there would be traffic chaos, especially in the early morning. Parking would also be a huge headache.

All due respects to your efforts, I think MHS will have to go somewhere else....:)

I'm interested in hearing what other people think that the existing MHS could be repurposed for. We have already heard suggestions that it could become a museum, an academic campus of some form or a community arts centre. Any other ideas?

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 19, 2011, 9:28 PM
Some picture from my mom, she's originally from Riverview.
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=16&cp=-1&attdepth=16&imgsrc=cid%3aACCA7778780F4A0FAE370A26A718D2D5%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_ecaff0737dc28f83ac363b96ff92ca6b96cd25e85f91d3f6d95baf39717485ca&oneredir=1http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=15&cp=-1&attdepth=15&imgsrc=cid%3aD9665AA9B3724A64A5DEFDBE4DA5A067%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_c342e8b22143a998877dc01276f6713bc85590fe75ee6548274b1a45aa18613a&oneredir=1http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3a3E8840F75B87478DA0735A1F4C9D1D29%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_429a832b8c4e5f973d654ee6cf52ad523b1881c078a8473beab45e8a9f7750ea&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=13&cp=-1&attdepth=13&imgsrc=cid%3a64A36F7E33DD440CBD643EC7C05DA285%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_a0a4ea71cc583c78cc8b3741936e7c7c98a91ce3ec887013fd830554f9562721&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=1&cp=-1&attdepth=1&imgsrc=cid%3aA643EFB65479410D856692EA09A704D9%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_244bcd71518263d4436fd6f5c4f647b57732b4e57cc40fe4769e60f33dd971d0&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=2&cp=-1&attdepth=2&imgsrc=cid%3a448A7925B65C4449A48997F6CE27DC5F%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_c9449c9019e2dbaabed16606bcd332a021844386ee859de39d1a5a4fb0e69d44&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=3&cp=-1&attdepth=3&imgsrc=cid%3a0F5E420E304241C38A0E103A7119BC33%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_19715023b30a711091feeaf0e45348146f2676afebba198ad095f104a9c3497b&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=7&cp=-1&attdepth=7&imgsrc=cid%3aEC33CF6A83CA4000B762A30B4787A8B1%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_15c1d8cc7e96aa51607bf499dc6e9140fa8fc92c7d0d7b65c09dff88755a738c&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=10&cp=-1&attdepth=10&imgsrc=cid%3aAF234F585B604C87A7F6162325242734%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_cf390af6195e446c1a77989eb7918ad3eb4dcb2f9c6efab9bb25e503710ae861&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=22&cp=-1&attdepth=22&imgsrc=cid%3a17248D98E8F5453CA77DB23DD44D1CAA%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_43e5090e3637bdbe81e0d61a348fbf4a92e497529533e1e1ccfef01e9c78bf75&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=11&cp=-1&attdepth=11&imgsrc=cid%3a66ECCAA7D91546DC818EFA7FF2BD159C%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_103c6ff23027857cf076e2ad29793935ec7912da44bd99abf407d517503744ea&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=14&cp=-1&attdepth=14&imgsrc=cid%3a3DFFA2F88F364C7FB2930B947942F5BC%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_6c1b7fe408e49a4b6cd2a55e0861465de6b5049a2ba62af671b6f9faf428eafa&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=23&cp=-1&attdepth=23&imgsrc=cid%3a4B4C16BCCCD8451D8D7FBADC2FFABCDC%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_0419bd1076876e16a73219bb9c369afc5cc639a937924c34a7c3a76c83b21011&oneredir=1
http://64.4.56.119/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=fcf481bb-3aea-11e0-8970-002264c154ba&attindex=7&cp=-1&attdepth=7&imgsrc=cid%3aEC33CF6A83CA4000B762A30B4787A8B1%40JoyPC&hm__login=josh_loves_jesus&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.25.156.8&d=d6334&mf=0&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2019%20Feb%202011%2021%3a25%3a33%20GMT&st=josh_loves_jesus&hm__ha=01_15c1d8cc7e96aa51607bf499dc6e9140fa8fc92c7d0d7b65c09dff88755a738c&oneredir=11
The pics aren't working, message me your email if you wanna see some more. I will email them.

mylesmalley
Feb 19, 2011, 9:40 PM
Most practical would be either offices or renovated into apartments. that said, that wouldn't capitalize on the theatre aspect. I wonder how many local venues like that can be supported though. Because there's a theatre across the street, the Peace Centre is repurposing the church for performances, the capitol, and there might be something in the Aberdeen Cultural Centre. Plus there will be a new one at the future Moncton High as well...

BlackYear
Feb 20, 2011, 11:32 PM
I realize the small foot print, but when you compare the wider angle satellite view to the current MHS, the foot print isn't really that much smaller, specially when my plan is the go up 4-5 floors with an underground parking garage.

I like the density of the whole project. As for the extra traffic, yeah, maybe some extra traffic for an hour in the morning and an hour after school, other than that, nothing else changes.

As for the future of the old MHS after 2013, I don't get it.

If the cost is too much to bring it up to code for another 20 + years of schooling, then how is it feasible to convert the place into a museum, condo, office complex, etc?

Taeolas
Feb 20, 2011, 11:40 PM
I think what a lot of people are thinking isn't just to build a high school the same size as MHS now, but to build a facility that either has room for future expansion and/or access to more services (dedicated field space especially) that the current site may not have. So finding spots at the current footprint size isn't really enough.

If MHS is turned over for Condo development for example, or some other use in the private field, they would be the ones covering the renovation/repair/upgrade costs, instead of the government, which is a lot easier to swallow in this climate than to rebuild a building that may barely be meeting modern teaching needs as it is.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 21, 2011, 5:32 AM
If you were to build MHS the same size, it would be a step backwards. If you build a new building you have to go all out!!!

C_Boy
Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
From the Airport thread...

Airport runway to get major funding boost

Cathy LeBreton - News Staff Feb 21, 2011 10:48:36 AM

MONCTON, NB - National Revenue Minister Keith Ashfield is in New Brunswick today where he's set to announce funding for three major infrastructure projects.

The announcements include 4 million dollars to extend a runway at the Greater Moncton International Airport.

The money, which will be matched by the provincial government will help extend the airport's main runway from 6,150 to 10,500 feet to accommodate larger wide-bodied and heavy aircraft.

Ashfield is also announcing a 4.5 million dollar investment in SaintJohn's cruise gateway project and 5.2 million dollars to upgrade the airport in Fredericton.

Sunnybrae
Feb 22, 2011, 1:29 AM

Can someone in the know please explain to me why they would lengthen the shorter runway? To me, the 8000' runway would have been the more logical choice since it is right alongside the cargo operations and would be less expensive to lengthen. Actually, I thought the 8000' was the main runway...... at least for cargo ops. :shrug:

MonctonRad
Feb 22, 2011, 2:36 AM

Look at the bright side, this means that the GMIA will have both 8000 ft and 10,500 ft runways for principle operations. :)

As to why they did this, I'm not sure but perhaps this has something to do with prevailing winds? :shrug:

In any event, this means that the GMIA will now be able to handle the largest of jumbo jets. They made a similar announcement today for Halifax Stanfield International as well...

mylesmalley
Feb 22, 2011, 3:29 AM
Prevailing winds, and apparently it would take an unbelievable amount of fill to extend the other runway due to the topography of the area.

Steelcowboy
Feb 22, 2011, 5:54 AM
would be nice to set a spotting location along the runways like they have in some European cities....I would love to see the BIG birds come in on a regular basis..747 cargo's or passenger would be nice :)

mylesmalley
Feb 22, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hah. Come by my office!

Sunnybrae
Feb 22, 2011, 1:20 PM
Prevailing winds, and apparently it would take an unbelievable amount of fill to extend the other runway due to the topography of the area.

Just read the article in the paper. All my questions were answered. No mention of taxiways but that would cost a pretty penny.

I wish the airport could invest in a spotting area for visitors like asian and european airports. I remember my father taking my brother and I to the airport to watch planes. We loved it. We would park alongside the old terminal building for hours and never be bothered. Today, post 9/11, your asked politely to leave and don't even think about taking a picture of a plane.

macas539
Feb 22, 2011, 7:37 PM
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
I remember my father taking my brother and I to the airport to watch planes. We loved it. We would park alongside the old terminal building for hours and never be bothered. Today, post 9/11, your asked politely to leave and don't even think about taking a picture of a plane.

My father used to do the same with me, we would go to the old airport. I remember watching the old Air Nova planes land and some of the larger cargo planes. We would sit there for hours on end! I remember even being given a tour of an Air Canada jet one time....my how times have changed! We went a few days after 9/11 to see planes taking off (there were some huge jets stuck in Moncton that at that time were not normal to see in the city) but we were told to leave quite quickly! I just can't remember if the new terminal was open then or if that was still at the old one....pretty sure it was the old one.

But nowadays if you asked to tour a plane without being a passenger you would be arrested immediately for suspicion of posing a threat to national security.

I do agree though, it would be really nice to have a viewing area at the airport. If it is far enough away I really don't see how it could be of any security threat to the aircraft.

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
I remember my father taking my brother and I to the airport to watch planes. We loved it. We would park alongside the old terminal building for hours and never be bothered. Today, post 9/11, your asked politely to leave and don't even think about taking a picture of a plane.

I used to take my sons to the old terminal building quite frequently too. It's actually a favourite memory of mine from when they were small. I throw my support in for a viewing area at the airport as well. :tup:

Steelcowboy
Feb 23, 2011, 12:39 AM
Either by the old terminal and adjacent to the ramp could be classified as viewing areas and it can simply be monitored by camera at the old terminal and both camera and RCMP should provide good security for the ramp area, The airport could adapt a similiar project to what the BNSF railway have in the USA...a list of names that frequent trackside areas and can employee these people to contact the RR if something suspicious is found...Citizens on Patrol.
Have people who are genuinly into plane spotting help patrol these areas..for free :) the airport/RCMP would just have access to your license plate and phone number in case there were any suspicious activity. I don't know....JUST SAYING :P

Steelcowboy
Feb 23, 2011, 12:41 AM
oops....not can "employee" but employ these people (volunteer of course).

macas539
Feb 23, 2011, 2:33 PM
I think that Moncton could really use a restaurant "district". The city has retail districts and centres but nothing for restaurants. They are scattered all over the city. I think that a little centre of a bunch of stand alone restaurants should be opened somewhere. And even bring new brands to the city, Moncton has a pretty limited selection of good restaurants.

I would like to see Jack Astors, Alice Fazoolis, Milestones, Baton Rouge, Applebees, maybe even The Pickle Barrel... I think if all of these restaurants--plus some of the ones that are already in Moncton-- opened up in one sort of centre they would do great.

As for the location of this, I'm not really sure, I was thinking along Mapleton as that seems to be a high traffic area that would get a lot of exposure. Also, if there is any land available for development near the Casino, I think it would flourish there and catch a lot of the visitors from that venue as well as highway traffic.

In Toronto there are lots of areas like this. There will usually be a combination of several restaurants and a movie theater right around the corner.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel Moncton has a pretty limited restaurant selection?

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2011, 3:12 PM

I agree with you about Milestone's (a spectacular roadhouse style restaurant), Applebee's and Jack Astors. Baton Rouge is actually owned by Moncton's own Bernard Imbeault, so I could also see them opening here eventually as well.

As for possible locations for a "restaurant district", I can think of two:

- next to Casino NB (there are actually sites available on Casino Drive where they could be built).
- in association with the proposed downtown arena/events centre.

NBNYer
Feb 24, 2011, 12:14 AM
Yes, a restaurant "district" would be really nice. Although I wouldn't like to see a power centre style big box agglomeration of restaurant out in the middle of a parking lot. This type of development would be much better downtown. A strip of restaurant terraces facing a side street off Main possibly within the "events centre" as proposed by MonctonRad.

I really enjoyed Crescent st. in Montreal when I lived there and I'm sure something along that line would be great for Moncton, on a smaller scale of course. I would also prefer original restaurants/pubs versus a strip of chain restaurants...in general.

I find terraces in chain restaurants in parking lots, such as on Trinity, very unwelcoming.:yuck:

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 24, 2011, 3:58 AM
What about near Montana's, St. Huberts, Tim Hortons and A&W? Extend that road a little father down past the car dealership and build a Milestones, Olive Garden, Kelseys, Red Lobster, Jack Astors, Applebees etc.

mylesmalley
Feb 24, 2011, 4:09 AM
The big chains all have their selling points, don't get me wrong. But I find that it's hard to find big differences in either the atmosphere or the food. Eventually though, they all just seem to blend together. Montanas is to Red Lobster as Appleby's is to Jack Astor's. I'd much sooner see people support the excellent restaurants we currently have, like the Pumphouse, Mavericks, City Grille, etc.

Obviously there's always room for improvement, but I think the city's food options have gotten much better in recent years. We've got a lot more variety. We've got the quantity.

As for having a restaurant district. I agree that it would be great. But decentralization is the order of the day right now for everything in Moncton. It'd be fantastic to have an entertainment district, one for bars and clubs etc as well.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 24, 2011, 4:37 AM
I find it Ironic that Red Lobster is a Seafood Restaurant chain, and there is not even a location in Atlantic Canada or B.C.

gehrhardt
Feb 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
I find it Ironic that Red Lobster is a Seafood Restaurant chain, and there is not even a location in Atlantic Canada or B.C.

It's most likely because local seafood restaurants can provide a fresher, better prepared lobster dinner than a US chain restaurant. It's like comparing Burger King's poutine to the poutine at any small Acadian restaurant. :)

They're probably smart to stay out of this area.

macas539
Feb 24, 2011, 3:21 PM
It's most likely because local seafood restaurants can provide a fresher, better prepared lobster dinner than a US chain restaurant. It's like comparing Burger King's poutine to the poutine at any small Acadian restaurant. :)

I agree, I have tried Red Lobster in Ontario and they really aren't that good. Maybe some people who have never been to the Maritimes and eaten fresh seafood would think it is great. But for me being from the coast, I know what fresh lobster is all about, and Red Lobster just can't compare to some of those fresh seafood restaurants in Fundy or in Shediac!

Haliguy
Feb 24, 2011, 3:36 PM

This is very true....they wouldn't be able to compete. Who would go to Red Lobster when there are so many local places with fresh lobster to buy from. There would be no market for Red Lobster and they know that.

kirjtc2
Feb 24, 2011, 7:49 PM
Red Lobster actually tried in Bangor in the early 90s and flopped.

Nashe
Feb 24, 2011, 8:15 PM
It may be a chain, but I'd still like an Olive Gardens in Monkeytown. :)

gehrhardt
Feb 25, 2011, 2:05 PM
It may be a chain, but I'd still like an Olive Gardens in Monkeytown. :)

+1 for Olive Garden. Put me down for Chilis, Boston Market, and Cracker Barrel too. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 25, 2011, 2:32 PM
+1 for Olive Garden. Put me down for Chilis, Boston Market, and Cracker Barrel too. :tup:

+1 for all of those too, especially Olive Garden and Cracker Barrel.

Steelcowboy
Feb 25, 2011, 11:58 PM
"+1 for Olive Garden. Put me down for Chilis, Boston Market, and Cracker Barrel too" DITTO for me...all are great restaurants :) add BOB EVANS to that list.

MonctonRad
Feb 26, 2011, 12:23 AM

Sorry to disappoint you gentlemen, but most of the restaurants that you have listed in the last few posts are American based with limited (or zero) penetration of the Canadian market (although I do recall eating at a Chili's in Calgary once).

macas539
Feb 26, 2011, 2:39 AM

Sorry to disappoint you gentlemen, but most of the restaurants that you have listed in the last few posts are American based with limited (or zero) penetration of the Canadian market (although I do recall eating at a Chili's in Calgary once).

Chili's is also in Ontario. Awesome ribs!

mctnguy
Feb 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
I'd be really happy to get a Jack Astor's in Moncton. mmmmmmmmmm :cheers:

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 27, 2011, 1:44 AM
From The Mackay Group website:
http://www.mackaygroup.ca/Tenant-Locations-Needed.page
National restaurant chain looking for a pad site location in the Moncton area. Preferably in the Mountain Road area. 25,000 sq ft. +/-

National coffee chain seeking a downtown location in the Moncton area. 1,800 sq ft. +

I'm going to guess the coffee chain is Tim Hortons, not sure of the other one. If I do recall, weren't the supposed to (or talk of) build a Olive Garden in the Trinity Plaza?

mylesmalley
Feb 27, 2011, 2:21 AM
25,000 sq ft for a restaurant? That's going to be quite the place...

Steelcowboy
Feb 27, 2011, 3:30 AM
Maybe its like the MANDARIN CHINESE restaurant (buffet) they're a big chain with large space. Not like we're lacking in that dept, it would be nice to have like a BUFFET WORLD with international foods (Polish, Italian, Ukrainian, North American) that would be cool.

MonctonRad
Feb 27, 2011, 4:28 AM
National coffee chain seeking a downtown location in the Moncton area. 1,800 sq ft. +

I'm going to guess the coffee chain is Tim Hortons?

It had better not be Timmie's, I think 35 Timmie's in the Moncton market is more than enough, thank you very much!

All due respects to the new Starbucks at the Delta, they really need to have a downtown streetfront store as well. I vote for Starbucks. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 27, 2011, 5:23 AM
It had better not be Timmie's, I think 35 Timmie's in the Moncton market is more than enough, thank you very much!

All due respects to the new Starbucks at the Delta, they really need to have a downtown streetfront store as well. I vote for Starbucks. :tup:

I was thinking more or less a move from Highfield Square and replacement of the former Main St. Location. Plus there isn't any Tim's downtown that I can think of. Both would be awesome though. I remember when I was in Ottawa in the summer there was a corner downtown with a Tim's, Starbucks, First Cup and Country Style.

mylesmalley
Feb 27, 2011, 5:29 AM
I was thinking more or less a move from Highfield Square and replacement of the former Main St. Location. Plus there isn't any Tim's downtown that I can think of. Both would be awesome though. I remember when I was in Ottawa in the summer there was a corner downtown with a Tim's, Starbucks, First Cup and Country Style.

St George at King,
Mountain at Queen? (a block from city hall)
At City Hall in the connecting area between it and the BMO building.
Albert St.

C_Boy
Feb 27, 2011, 6:13 AM
St George at King,
Mountain at Queen? (a block from city hall)
At City Hall in the connecting area between it and the BMO building.
Albert St.

The is also the one right on Main St at Alma....right in front of Assumption Place lol... Everyone forgets that one but it is in that beautiful building! :)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=46.088662,-64.776769&spn=0,0.005161&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=46.088646,-64.776904&panoid=ngeMHxGxae_mdnp-HCfTGw&cbp=12,40.34,,0,-1.64

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 27, 2011, 3:13 PM
Ok being from PEI I don't seem to have that good of a memory of downtown Moncton haha. I'd imagine the one off of Albert St. has lost bussiness since the bridge opened.

mylesmalley
Feb 27, 2011, 3:43 PM
The is also the one right on Main St at Alma....right in front of Assumption Place lol... Everyone forgets that one but it is in that beautiful building! :)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=46.088662,-64.776769&spn=0,0.005161&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=46.088646,-64.776904&panoid=ngeMHxGxae_mdnp-HCfTGw&cbp=12,40.34,,0,-1.64

Sorry, that's what I meant when I said Mountain at Queen....Main at Alma :haha: :cheers: And you're right. That is the nicest Tims in the city.

As for hte one on Albert, possibly, although it's just down the street from several office buildings, and not far from Assomption. The new bridge has been open for a couple years now and they haven't closed. Must be doing alright.

MonctonRad
Feb 27, 2011, 4:09 PM
Strange how this thread seems to come back to discussing coffee shops every few months :haha:

The person who owns the vacant lot on Main Street (where the Hell's Angels firebombing a decade ago happened) has a sign up stating "will build to suit". I know that one of the other forumers (about 20 pages back) posted a nifty picture of a storefront Starbucks located in a small downtown brick building that would fit in quite nicely there. Perhaps these people should talk......

National restaurant chain looking for a pad site location in the Moncton area. Preferably in the Mountain Road area. 25,000 sq ft. +/-

Plaza Corp has pad sites available on Mountain Road on either side of the Northwest Centre. This is where the second Swiss Chalet location and a Second Cup cafe with drive-thru are rumoured to go. There is potentially room in the lot in front of NBCC for an additional restaurant or store to locate......

curious
Feb 27, 2011, 5:15 PM
what happened to this? i went downtown yesterday and it looks like major renos? or are they gone?

mylesmalley
Feb 27, 2011, 5:43 PM
Until we get past the 'I need to be able to park directly in front of where I'm going' mentality, the best we should expect from lots like that are local retail like restaurants and coffee shops.

kirjtc2
Feb 28, 2011, 12:18 AM

Second Cup? They have a very successful downtown Fredericton location.