PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

mylesmalley
Dec 2, 2008, 5:41 PM
just a couple of points...
1) not sure if this is ettique or not but it sucks when you attach the "quote" to your post just creates more wasted space

Probably not necessary in most situations, but it can make it a lot easier to see who/what someone is addressing specifically if you directly quote it. You're right, it's wasted space, but bandwidth is cheap ;)

2) is there not a page for pictures only?

There are a couple, depending on the theme. Stu_pendousmatt2 does a great job, along with others.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161175

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=160757

3) if it's in the paper is really neccessary to cut and paste the enite article in your post???

No, not at all. But in my opinion, it significantly increases the likelyhood that people will actually read or make note of them. Plus (personally) I find it makes the page flow better, because you can read continuously, without having to jump back and forth between web pages.

4) is the courthouse moving?? nothing is happening

There were some announcements a few weeks ago. about 5 pages back, there are renderings. It's going at the corner of Assumption where Beaver Lumber used to be.

EDIT:
Gerhart posted this scan from the T&T:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/3048215967_70a64236c9.jpg

MonctonRad
Dec 2, 2008, 6:27 PM
just a couple of points...
1) not sure if this is ettique or not but it sucks when you attach the "quote" to your post just creates more wasted space
2) is there not a page for pictures only?
3) if it's in the paper is really neccessary to cut and paste the enite article in your post???

4) is the courthouse moving?? nothing is happening

(1) - If you attach the quote to your reply, it just clarifies what exactly it is that you are replying to.
(2) - Yes there is/are pages for pictures but I am of the school of thought that pictures add colour to the main Moncton page and help to give visitors to our thread a bit of insight as to what our community is really like.
(3) - I think it is useful to paste relevant articles into the thread. Again, not all people who visit the thread are from Moncton and therefore do not necessarily read the T&T (or whatever). I think it can just help tie things together.

Regards.

mmmatt
Dec 2, 2008, 6:45 PM
(1) - If you attach the quote to your reply, it just clarifies what exactly it is that you are replying to.
(2) - Yes there is are pages for pictures but I am of the school of thought that pictures add colour to the main Moncton page and help to give visitors to our thread a bit of insite as to what our community is really like.
(3) - I think it is useful to paste relevant articles into the thread. Again, not all people who visit the thread are from Moncton and therefore do not necessarily read the T&T (or whatever). I think it can just help tie things together.

Regards.

Agreed

Dmajackson
Dec 2, 2008, 8:28 PM
(2) - Yes there is are pages for pictures but I am of the school of thought that pictures add colour to the main Moncton page and help to give visitors to our thread a bit of insite as to what our community is really like.

Regards.

Agreed also.

I'm one of those people who visit/post here but not from Moncton. Its really nice to have stuff directly on the page to read. To be honest if its a link I won't bother reading it usually. And well I'm not the type to flip through the online newspapers when I can get the intersting facts right here.

IMO the only spot you should not quote all the time is if you are referrring to the post previous to yours and the quoted message is short. Since you can view the message and the responce in one view its much easier to use either the ^ or :previous: symbols to tell people you are responding to the last post.

MonctonRad
Dec 3, 2008, 2:14 AM
I see that they are busy doing renovations to the former downtown Burger King location on Main Street, does anyone know what is going in there?

Personally, I've always thought that would be an ideal location for a downtown Starbuck's. It's just next door to the Blue Cross Centre, across the street from city hall and only a block away from both the Delta Beausejour and Marriott hotels. There would be an awful lot of coffee drinkers in the immediate neighbourhood.

mylesmalley
Dec 3, 2008, 2:39 AM
I see that they are busy doing renovations to the former downtown Burger King location on Main Street, does anyone know what is going in there?

Personally, I've always thought that would be an ideal location for a downtown Starbuck's. It's just next door to the Blue Cross Centre, across the street from city hall and only a block away from both the Delta Beausejour and Marriott hotels. There would be an awful lot of coffee drinkers in the immediate neighbourhood.

it's also got what has to be the world's shortest drive thru...

mmmatt
Dec 3, 2008, 6:15 AM
it's also got what has to be the world's shortest drive thru...

Not any more haha, they just took out the drive thru last week, its a regular window now. :P

mylesmalley
Dec 3, 2008, 7:05 AM
Not any more haha, they just took out the drive thru last week, its a regular window now. :P

I hope they do something with that land then...park or patio or something. I'd sooner see a disused drive thru street than a random patch of grass in the middle of downtown.

JimiThing
Dec 3, 2008, 1:16 PM
Speaking of Downtown, Did anyone try Pink Sushi, It has got to be the best sushi I have ever had. I can see them moving to another location. Every time I've went so far, it was packed. They could always add another, somewhere around Mapleton. ;)

Anyways Props for awesome tasting food. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 3, 2008, 3:07 PM
I heard on the weekend that 'The Sony Store' in Champlain is leaving the mall and moving to Trinity in the new year.

Jason

mylesmalley
Dec 3, 2008, 5:40 PM
As much as I despise that mall (I hate all malls with a passion), the refurbishment at Champlain Place does make the place look a lot more classy. It's such a popular place for tourists around Christmas time, it's nice to know that we're putting our best foot forward.

On a completely unrelated note. Has there been any word on the new condos supposed to go up along Main Street? Seemed like it was a big deal, until the courthouse was announced.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 3, 2008, 6:23 PM
Also...I just read in the paper that it 'is' ALLSCO that is going into the old Chrysler Building (75,000 sq ft) on St. George Blvd.

Jason

MonctonRad
Dec 3, 2008, 8:40 PM
There is some interesting activity going on at the Mapleton Power Centre site. They are using the same preformed concrete building techniques to erect the walls for the buildings there that they used for the new Lawton's pharmacy. The walls for building #1 went up in a single day.

C_Boy
Dec 3, 2008, 8:54 PM
Also...I just read in the paper that it 'is' ALLSCO that is going into the old Chrysler Building (75,000 sq ft) on St. George Blvd.

Jason

This could actualy be bigger news than we think. The Allsco owner also owns all the barracks and other buildings on what was part of the old base on John st. (Next to that nicely renovated building at 210 John). Right now those buildings are used for storage of windows and doors.

Beeing so close to the core, I think this may be a good spot for some high density residential. You have the YMCA next door, other sport amenities, Sobeys, Mountain rd not far away, Victoria park and the technology park etc...

I included a pic just to show the size of the area.

http://www.iWebPhoto.com/iWebPhoto_free_upload_photo/222599/Album1/Allscoland.jpg

What do you guys think?

MonctonRad
Dec 3, 2008, 10:39 PM
:previous:

I'm not sure this means anything for the old base property or not. Apparently, it is the Allsco showroom and display centre on Rideout in the MID park that is moving to the Chrysler warehouse.

It would be nice to see some further activity on the old army base. That may not be in the cards right now.

Are you privy to any inside information?

MonctonRad
Dec 3, 2008, 10:49 PM
ALLSCO moves showroom to new location
Published Wednesday December 3rd, 2008

Company set to move into former Chrysler parts distribution centre

A thriving Moncton business is making a big move.

ALLSCO Windows, Doors and Siding is moving its showroom, sales department and siding division to the former Chrysler LLC parts distribution centre at 615 St. George Blvd.

"This is an exciting time in ALLSCO's history," company president Gordon Lahanky said in a statement. "This major step is a long term investment in ALLSCO's future and is a significant strategic step towards growing our business and advancing ALLSCO's service level."

Gordon feels this transition will create many new opportunities for the company and the ALLSCO team.

"This 75,000 square foot, prominent building will certainly boost ALLSCO's exposure and give rise to many new opportunities as we advance the business."

The former Chrysler building is 75,000 square feet in size, which the company says will make it Atlantic Canada's largest vinyl window, door and siding store.

The company also hopes that their move will help rejuvenate the St. George Boulevard area, which has seen the loss of several key businesses over the last five years.

ALLSCO will be conducting a complete renovation of the facility, which they hope will be complete by February of next year. The renovations will include building a new showroom.

The Chrysler LLC parts distribution centre (formerly Daimler Chrysler Canada Inc.) closed Nov. 30.

In a statement several months ago, senior manager of corporate communication for Chrysler Canada Mary Gauthier said the closure was done in order to "remain globally competitive."

The Chrysler facility was the last of four industry facilities to leave St. George Boulevard, as Goodyear, General Motors and Firestone have all formerly had operations centres in the area.

Since its inception in 1976, ALLSCO has been a leader in the window, door and siding industry in Atlantic Canada.

In addition to their new location, ALLSCO has two other locations in Moncton; its head office and manufacturing plant at 70 Rideout St. and the factory discount outlet on 194 Barker St.

The company also has a sales office in Dartmouth, N.S., and one in Winslow, Maine.

mylesmalley
Dec 3, 2008, 11:04 PM
What happened to the hotel that was proposed for that area?

David_99
Dec 4, 2008, 12:26 AM
What happened to the hotel that was proposed for that area?

I've heard so many plans for that area over the years yet nothing has come of any of them. Even back in 2000-01, I was teaching at a local college, I remember my boss meeting with Claudette Bradshaw proposing a "Multimedia Community" in that area, refurbishing the old buildings. He had this big vision of having a bunch of the smaller graphic companies moving there, bidding for international projects, having a school where the students would work on real world projects from those companies. Even having a music school and store etc etc. Although many of Moncton's smaller graphics companies folded around the same time. So many that we even had to discontinue providing internships. So that one kinda fell through. Anyway, long story short, any other rumours that came out of that area never seemed to get of the ground.

Slightly off topic, but he also had plans for a school across from ALC that never happened either. Does that building have a name? The one between Graffitti and Personal Search on Main? Anyway, it's in rough shape. We went upstairs to check out a vacancy. The floor was wobbly and walls paper thin. Candy Cameleon moved from there and HER closed down. Does anyone know if there's any plans from that building?

C_Boy
Dec 4, 2008, 4:08 AM

I'm not sure this means anything for the old base property or not. Apparently, it is the Allsco showroom and display centre on Rideout in the MID park that is moving to the Chrysler warehouse.

It would be nice to see some further activity on the old army base. That may not be in the cards right now.

Are you privy to any inside information?

No I'm not but it would seem to make sense. Making a such a big investment like is beeing done may want to look at an option of revenue. I mean they will need windows and doors if they do build something there :haha: . But the article is a little confusing... ok they are moving the store there but says that the head office is on Rideout etc... So are they keeping all three ? If so, I would doubt they would keep those old barracks for storage??

It will be interesting to see what happens. I work at the nice building at 210 John st. They are always working on that area. Behind the building and in front of the buildings that are still used on the base. There are also always trucks at the barracks working as well. Does anyone know anything else?

And for the hotel I was not aware of anything but a mixture of high density residential and hotel would be good. Beeing close to downtown, technology park etc... good place for business people to stay.

mmmatt
Dec 4, 2008, 4:44 PM
Building permits strong

Published Thursday December 4th, 2008
T&T

A new five-unit retail plaza at 1579 Mountain Rd. and the next phase of work at Rocky Stone field led the way for the City of Moncton to post just over $7 million in building permits in November.

Other significant projects include renovations to the McDonald's restaurant on Ensley Drive and the interior fit up of the new Shoppers Drug Mart on Vaughan Harvey Boulevard. As well, Memco Controls will begin work on a new building on Frenette Avenue in Caledonia Industrial Estates.

The November figures are down sharply from the same period last year when there was $14 million in construction.

However, the number of permits issued November to November were virtually identical.

Meanwhile, the year-to-date total value of permits is $113,284,861, down about $15 million from this time last year.

Jimmy
Dec 4, 2008, 7:26 PM
hi, been lurking for a while, but first post...

Curious if anyone has any info on the rumored Sobey's going up on Harrisville Blvd.?

There's been a little work done at the site, but no signage indicating a Sobey's or anything else.

Thanks! Jim

ErickMontreal
Dec 4, 2008, 8:27 PM
http://www.careerbeacon.com/nbit-tinb/logos/logo_dieppe.jpg

Busy month of November

Dieppe – The building sector was once again active in the City of Dieppe for the month of November, with the issuance of 33 building permits with a value of $2,036,262 according to statistics released from the municipality`s Building Inspection Department.

The municipality issued 12 permits in the residential sector with a value of $1.1 million and 8 in the commercial sector worth approximately $800,000.

The total for the first 11 months of the year is $77.2 million compared to $71.1 million for the same period in 2007, an extremely busy year in Dieppe.

“With these figures in hand, it is obvious that our growth continues to the benefit of our residents”, said Mayor Jean LeBlanc.

mylesmalley
Dec 4, 2008, 8:50 PM

Curious if anyone has any info on the rumored Sobey's going up on Harrisville Blvd.?

There's been a little work done at the site, but no signage indicating a Sobey's or anything else.

Thanks! Jim

Welcome to the forums, Jimmy!

They were clearing land and putting in utilities along Harrisville and the Veterans Highway this summer. I don't think there's a firm date yet, but I would expect in the next year or two we'll see an announcement. The rate that end of town is growing, they'll need one soon enough.

mmmatt
Dec 4, 2008, 10:52 PM

Thanks! Jim

Hi Jim! Welcome to the forum :)

Like Myles said there has been no offical announcement as of yet, but I would expect to see one soon as well. Sobeys seems to be on the ball right now with opening new stores.

mmmatt
Dec 4, 2008, 11:49 PM
Employment on the rise in Moncton

Total Employment in Atlantic Canadian CMAs 2007-2008 (in thousands)

CMA---------Sept. 2007----Sept. 2008----Change

Halifax----------211.0--------209.4---------- - 0.8 %
St. Johns-------98.7---------101.6---------- + 2.9 %
Moncton--------73.8---------74.1----------- + 0.4 %
Saint John------67.5---------64.6----------- - 4.3 %

Data sources:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/081127/t081127d1-eng.htm (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/081127/t081127d1-eng.htm)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/071128/t071128d-eng.htm (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/071128/t071128d-eng.htm)

C_Boy
Dec 5, 2008, 3:32 AM

Thanks! Jim

Welcome to the forum Jimmy! Always good to have more peeps!

MonctonRad
Dec 5, 2008, 10:12 PM
Sales good, customers upbeat: Metro retailers
Published Friday December 5th, 2008

Local stores says it's 'business as usual' as holiday rush kicks into high gear
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

If you listen to forecasts of North America's economic future, it's a picture of gloom and doom.

If you listen to retailers in Metro Moncton, many are reporting that it's still business as usual this holiday season, despite fears over economic turmoil.

"Customers aren't down, they're happy and I find that traffic is more so than last year," said Barb Hambrook, store manager of Bowring in the Trinity Power Centre. "I think everybody is still happy-go-lucky and still spending and having a great time. There are definitely lots of sales." Heath Applebaum, a spokesman for retail-giant Champlain Place, says they remain "quite optimistic" about the holiday season.

"Based on our latest data, both the number of visitors and retail sales have increased compared to this time last year," he said, noting the number of visitors to the mall has increased by more than two per cent and sales from October were up three per cent as compared to last year. It's certainly an extremely important time of the year for retailers as well. Applebaum estimates that November and December sales at Champlain Place accounted for 26 per cent of the entire year's sales in 2007.

Amanda Wood, assistant manager of Stokes in Champlain Place, has noticed a small change in consumer habits this year, but says it hasn't necessarily affected sales.

"I think we expected a bigger hit (to sales) and we didn't really receive that, we're doing very well. I just find that people are more cautious in what they buy. They just spend extra time trying to find the exact right gift," she said. "It's still a madhouse in here though."

Wood says she has also seen a change in what consumers are buying, with a greater emphasis on entertainment items.

"I find in past years, pots and pans and dishes were really popular, but it's kind of switched that the entertaining comes first and the dishes come second," she said.

Along with reporting normal or above average sales, some retailers also claim more consumers are paying with cash as opposed to credit this holiday season, which seems to bode well for the amount of disposable income and planning consumers have.

"I find it's been more of a cash Christmas this year. We see debit, which is cash, being used more," said Steve Clerke, co-owner of Gifts Galore on Moncton's Main Street. "People are balancing themselves out this Christmas. If they have 20 people to buy for, they budget it through the year and make sure they have enough to cover that."

Clerke, like other area retailers, says his store has enjoyed great sales thus far this season. While Christmas can bring with it a hectic pace and feelings of being rushed, Clerke thinks shoppers are taking his commonly repeated advice to simply enjoy the season.

"We always tell people to try to enjoy the holiday season and to avoid places that give them stress and make them feel a little down . . . If they find they are getting grumpy, stay home and don't go shopping that night."

Brian MacPherson, store manager for the Mountain Road Canadian Tire, also says there have been more cash purchases this holiday season. Although he says consumers aren't shying away from popular big-ticket items like digital cameras, GPS systems and LCD televisions, he says the store has recently noticed a dip in sales.

"The last few weeks have been good for us, but this week is slower. I don't know whether it's related or not, the last month has been strong, but this week is definitely softer than last year," he said.

Bryan Moreau, floor manager of Sounds Fantastic on Bonnacord Street says with "very aggressive price points", they have been able to overcome any potential economic concerns on big ticket items like TVs.

"It's very, very busy," he said. "Honestly, I don't think we've been affected that much by the whole economy downturn."

MonctonRad
Dec 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Aberdeen Cultural Centre sets sights on major renovation project
By Yvon & Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

Moncton's Aberdeen Cultural Centre has a new director whose first duties will include overseeing plans for a major renovation campaign to upgrade the former Moncton school.

René Légère is a great addition with his credentials and vast experience helping produce major cultural events in the past, Marie-Renée Duguay, board chairman for the cultural centre, said this week.

"The centre is at a turning point in its existence as we will be undertaking an important revitalization project in the near future. Thanks to Mr. Légère's vast experience, we are confident in his abilities to steer this project to completion, allowing the centre to continue serving the community by offering an adequate infrastructure that meets the needs of artists and art organizations," said Duguay. Légère is a graduate of de Université de Moncton and Laval University in social sciences and radio journalism. Some of the projects he's been involved with in the past are FrancoFête en Acadie, Les défricheurs d'eau and 15 août des fous.

Légère also participated in the organizing the Summit on Acadian arts and culture in New Brunswick.

His prior experience includes the position of executive director of the Société Nationale de l'Acadie, where he was involved in several important projects on national and international levels including the first Acadian cultural events in Poitiers, Andrézieux-Bouthéon, Capbreton, and Île-de-Ré in France and helping organize as many as 20 official Acadian missions in France, Belgium, Italy, Louisiana, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and on the African Continent.

Planning for "revitalizing" the three-storey building has begun, with the work expected to cost more than one million dollars, said Duguay. The fundraising portion of the project is to begin soon, she said.

The actual renovations could begin as early as next year, she explained, adding the work won't affect the look of the heritage building.

MonctonRad
Dec 5, 2008, 10:25 PM
Old YMCA sparkles with new life
Published Friday December 5th, 2008

Marketing and communications company Colour/Couleur NB moves into downtown building

To a chorus of "oohs" and "aahs" as each new guest entered, the "who's who" of Metro Moncton dined on gourmet delicacies and old memories yesterday when they attended the official opening of new headquarters for Colour/CouleurNB in the building at 68 Highfield St., Moncton. The structure had previously served for many years as the Moncton YMCA.

The rejuvenated building, which many guests remembered fondly from their youth where they took their first swimming lessons, played their first basketball and jived to their first rock 'n roll, had been vacant since the YMCA moved to its new location at the corner of Vaughan Harvey Boulevard and John Street in 2004.

Property developers Ashford Investments Ltd. acquired it and initiated renovations in 2007. The Atlantic Ballet Theatre was the first tenant. Scotia McLeod and Colour/CouleurNB soon followed.

"We're delighted to participate in the restoration of a building that has played such an important role in the lives of so many Monctonians over so many years," said David Hawkins, president of Colour/CouleurNB.

"In our view, the ability of a community to recognize the value of its past and to re-purpose it for the future is a key indicator of a creative culture. Innovative projects like this are building Moncton's reputation as a leading edge city in Atlantic Canada."

Commenting on the project, Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc, who was present for the opening, said: "We are delighted with Couleur's continuing investment in our city and with the growth of the marketing and communications sector overall. It says a lot about the impressive talents of our people and the central role that the three-community region plays in Atlantic Canada's economy."

Interior designer Kim Murphy, who designed the Colour/Couleur NB offices, shared his enthusiasm.

"Designing for a creative agency is very rewarding," she said. "It affords an exciting opportunity to explore new media. I had the opportunity to try avant garde concepts that might never have even been considered in a more conventional office setting."

"Close integration of business and the arts is a hallmark of what Richard Florida calls the 'creative economy,' Hawkins said. "It's promising for the future of our city, our region and its people, that projects like this are taking place."

With offices in Halifax, Moncton and St. John's, Colour helps clients get closer to their customers, focusing on people and making meaningful connections.

Their work has helped to build brands including Atlantic Lottery, the Province of New Brunswick, City of Moncton, Major Drilling, Stewart McKelvey, Killam Properties, Fortis Inc., Petro Canada, The Chronicle Herald, Exxon Mobil Canada and more.

ErickMontreal
Dec 5, 2008, 10:41 PM
Dieppe looks to expand city hall
Proposed construction to develop building's third floor would cost $39,314

http://www.acadianconstruction.com/images/dieppecityhall.jpg

Published Thursday December 4th, 2008
A1
BY NICK MOORE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

As the population of Dieppe continues to grow, Mayor Jean LeBlanc says it only makes sense City Hall will need to grow too.

During a public budget meeting this week, council was told $39,314 should be reserved in the 2009 budget for new construction inside City Hall, a building which held its official grand opening last summer.

LeBlanc says the reserve of $39,314 in the budget for City Hall construction would specifically go towards developing unused space on the building's third floor. The space would be developed into offices which would be for staff the city expects to hire into permanent positions.

"We have new staff, but we don't have any place to put them," said city treasurer Nicole Rioux when introducing the figure at the meeting.

LeBlanc said nothing has been confirmed or passed by council yet, but said it would be responsible to include the figure because putting it off would be ignoring inevitable costs to the city.

"It may be prudent that we put some money aside to be able to finish those offices and make use of that space," he said. "Just in case we need it."

"We're obviously still in the deliberation stage."

This comes at a time when being frugal with municipal budgets is being recommended, and just a week after an additional $1.8 million was pegged to go towards the city's aquatic centre and sport complex. LeBlanc said the money for the aquatic centre is needed in order to finish the project, which began under a different mayor and council.

On Tuesday Greg Byrne, Minister responsible for Service New Brunswick, suggested all municipalities in the province should work to find cuts in their budgets wherever they can, now more than ever.

"Yes, they have increased costs," said Byrne of the province's many municipal budgets on Tuesday. "(But) in this time of restraint, perhaps it is time to look at whether they can be a little more prudent in how they manage their budgetary funding."

LeBlanc says all Dieppe councillors are dedicated to cutting all they can from the proposed budgets before them. However, he says he can't ignore the fact the city's population is growing. According the census results from 2006, Dieppe saw its population grow from 14,951 in 2001 to 18,565 in 2006 -- an increase of 24.2 per cent. LeBlanc says at the end of the day, a growing population will mean a growing budget.

"There's no way you're going to increase your population and lower the amount of expenses that you're going to use to serve that population," he said. "That equation just doesn't go."

Unconditional grant numbers were released by the province yesterday, and LeBlanc expects a complete budget will be put on the table at Monday's regular council meeting. He said the city's operating budget for 2009 is expected to tally more than $32 million, the biggest ever in Dieppe's history.

"That's to go along with the biggest population the city has ever seen and the biggest building boom the city has ever seen," he said. "This year has seen a record amount of building permits and construction in the city's history. We're talking about the fourth largest city in New Brunswick with the highest growth rate, so you can't take things in isolation."

City Councillor Dave Maltais said he found $600,000 worth of cuts that could be made during Tuesday's meeting. He wouldn't specify what they were, but said none of them would affect essential services the city provides such as roadwork and garbage pick up.

LeBlanc said Dieppe is in a unique situation where its high level of population growth means they have to acknowledge growth within City Hall.

"I can only look at our own city," he said. "In our city, we've had an increase in infrastructure and people moving to our city. We have to make sure those people have services. It's not something we can avoid."

"If we had a municipality that had a 10 or 15 per cent drop in its population over a few years then maybe you'd have to make those kinds of evaluations," he added. "But, for a city which is one of the fastest growing in Atlantic Canada, whose population is exploding, to consider you can serve more and more people, more and more infrastructure and more and more subdivisions with less and less money, I think that's an unrealistic expectation."

someone123
Dec 5, 2008, 10:57 PM
Employment on the rise in Moncton

Total Employment in Atlantic Canadian CMAs 2007-2008 (in thousands)

CMA---------Sept. 2007----Sept. 2008----Change

Halifax----------211.0--------209.4---------- - 0.8 %
St. Johns-------98.7---------101.6---------- + 2.9 %
Moncton--------73.8---------74.1----------- + 0.4 %
Saint John------67.5---------64.6----------- - 4.3 %

Data sources:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/081127/t081127d1-eng.htm (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/081127/t081127d1-eng.htm)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/071128/t071128d-eng.htm (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/071128/t071128d-eng.htm)

I guess this roughly amounts to trolling, but your data doesn't really make sense. You are using numbers from federal employment figures (as in, tables meant to show how many federal government employees there are, with the overall employment numbers being there just to give people a rough idea of the total) and the base employment numbers for the two years appear to be calculated differently.

These are the actual labour force statistics:

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/lfss03a-eng.htm

They don't have Moncton listed in this yet for some reason.

MonctonRad
Dec 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
I guess this roughly amounts to trolling, but your data doesn't really make sense. You are using numbers from federal employment figures (as in, tables meant to show how many federal government employees there are, with the overall employment numbers being there just to give people a rough idea of the total) and the base employment numbers for the two years appear to be calculated differently.

These are the actual labour force statistics:

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/lfss03a-eng.htm

They don't have Moncton listed in this yet for some reason.

I think Someone that the statistics are in complete agreement. Matt's post compared employment in the CMA's from Sept. 2007 to Sept. 2008. Your source compared employment between October 2008 and November 2008.

According to Matt, the employment level in September 2008 in Haligonia was 209,400. Your value for October 2008 is 209,000. I fail to see any significant difference.

Halifax (N.S.)--------Oct. 2008-----Nov. 2008
Population-----------318.1---------318.4
Labour force---------220.8---------224.2
Employment----------209.0---------212.5

The reason why Moncton's stats don't show up in all of StatsCan's data is that we are a brand new CMA. We only achieved CMA status in the last census. It will be 5-10 years before we are included in all the statistical analyses that StatsCan does.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 12:54 AM
^ As MonctonRad stated Moncton is a new CMA and so our figures will not be included in most surveys for a while. That is why I had to use the stats from the Fed. Employment table, otherwise I would have used the normal Labour Stats tables. Sorry for any confusion.

The stats are correct as of Sept. (If you notice note #2 on the bottom of the pages I referenced it says: "2. Data obtained from the Labour Force Survey" which is the table you referenced)

If I had seen more recent info for Moncton I would have posted it, unfortunately its hard to come by at this point. (plus StatsCans website is a disaster :P)

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 1:17 AM
Skyline Silhouette

From Champlain Place I assume. The pointy building in the center is the Marvens building.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/3076064906_3964df6562.jpg
Credit: bradburyjason on Flickr

stephan.richard
Dec 6, 2008, 1:58 AM
Is there a link to the project on the new Mapelton Power Center to see what will be going into that spot? And to see the Sony Store move out of Champlain place that will be another empty spot for the mall to fill up. But could it be because of the rent that it is taking time for Cadillac Fairview to fill up the vacant spots in the mall.
BTW the renovations done to the mall are looking great... Iti is good to see now that we have a first class mall.

Sony500
Dec 6, 2008, 3:04 AM
Two years ago there was a sign up along John St. with pictures of buildings proposed in that area of the base. The sign is gone so they must have had a change of plans. I live on one of the streets on the other side of john st. and I really wish they would do something with those old buildings.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2008, 3:40 AM
Two years ago there was a sign up along John St. with pictures of buildings proposed in that area of the base. The sign is gone so they must have had a change of plans. I live on one of the streets on the other side of john st. and I really wish they would do something with those old buildings.

Now that DMI has shifted a lot of it's focus to improvements to St. george, perhaps John Street will feel some love too. A similar thing happened to Gordon Street, which has undergone a lot of densification in the past five years.

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2008, 4:04 AM
Is there a link to the project on the new Mapelton Power Center to see what will be going into that spot? And to see the Sony Store move out of Champlain place that will be another empty spot for the mall to fill up. But could it be because of the rent that it is taking time for Cadillac Fairview to fill up the vacant spots in the mall.
BTW the renovations done to the mall are looking great... Iti is good to see now that we have a first class mall.

I am aware of no good link for the Mapleton Power Centre development. As for stores that may be moving in there, the potential line-up includes:

- The Brick (new)
- Best Buy (new)
- Jacob Connexion (new)
- La Vie en Rose (new)
- Trade Secret (new)
- Swiss Chalet (new)
- Starbucks (new)
- Bank (name to be announced)
- ? Cleve's Sources for Sport (moving from Trinity)
- ? Sony Store (moving from Champlain)

This is only a partial list. There are many more spaces available in this development for lease. The developer unfortunately is very tight lipped.

I have a strong suspicion that there will be at least one other restaurant in this development and there is space for a gas bar as well. It is possible that Mountain Equipment Co-op may move in there, but this is only an unsubstantiated rumour.

As for Champlain Place, the big announcement is that Swedish clothing store H&M is moving into the mall in the new year. There was a rumour that a Boston Pizza franchise might move into the old Don Cherry's space but I have seen no evidence of this happening.

Finally, I strongly suspect we might see a Baton Rouge Steakhouse franchise in the city in the next year. It is after all part of Bernard Imbeault's IMVESCOR empire. This could either go to Mapleton or Champlain.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2008, 4:44 AM
I am aware of no good link for the Mapleton Power Centre development. As for stores that may be moving in there, the potential line-up includes:

- The Brick (new)
- Best Buy (new)
- Jacob Connexion (new)
- La Vie en Rose (new)
- Trade Secret (new)
- Swiss Chalet (new)
- Starbucks (new)
- Bank (name to be announced)
- ? Cleve's Sources for Sport (moving from Trinity)
- ? Sony Store (moving from Champlain)

This is only a partial list. There are many more spaces available in this development for lease. The developer unfortunately is very tight lipped.

I have a strong suspicion that there will be at least one other restaurant in this development and there is space for a gas bar as well. It is possible that Mountain Equipment Co-op may move in there, but this is only an unsubstantiated rumour.

As for Champlain Place, the big announcement is that Swedish clothing store H&M is moving into the mall in the new year. There was a rumour that a Boston Pizza franchise might move into the old Don Cherry's space but I have seen no evidence of this happening.

Finally, I strongly suspect we might see a Baton Rouge Steakhouse franchise in the city in the next year. It is after all part of Bernard Imbeault's IMVESCOR empire. This could either go to Mapleton or Champlain.

I have it on good authority that Imvescor plans on expanding Baton Rouge into Halifax first. Now that's not to say they won't do both, but Baton Rouge is aimed at the larger markets.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 6:23 AM
Speaking of the Mall...I snapped a few pics when I went there a couple days ago to grab something just before close, worked out great for pictures, because at any other time of day you cant even see anything due to the number of shoppers haha.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/mall/DSCN1840b.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/mall/DSCN1838b.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/mall/DSCN1835b.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/mall/DSCN1841b.jpg

David_99
Dec 6, 2008, 3:29 PM
Now that DMI has shifted a lot of it's focus to improvements to St. george, perhaps John Street will feel some love too. A similar thing happened to Gordon Street, which has undergone a lot of densification in the past five years.

I'm hoping for a trickle-down-effect coming from St. George, as it connects to some "shifty" areas and side streets. Perhaps helping clean up streets like High and make it's way down to John. One can hope anyway.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 3:37 PM
N.B. job rate dips

Unemployment rate falls to 8.7 per cent, even with 4,600 more people in workforce

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Saturday December 6th, 2008

New Brunswick's unemployment rate fell last month despite a big influx of new people entering the workforce.

Province-wide, the labour force increased by 4,600 people compared to the same month last year, said Minister of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour Donald Arseneault, but the unemployment rate still fell to 8.7 per cent from 8.8 per cent in October.

Overall, fewer people were employed in November in this province, Statistics Canada's monthly report says.

"With today's economy and pressures on our markets, it is especially important that we monitor these numbers so we can be fully prepared for any possible adjustments to employment programs, if necessary," Arseneault said.

"We want to ensure that New Brunswickers have the tools they need to be engaged in our labour force."

Still, Metro Moncton generates the most jobs and has the biggest participation rate in the labour force, defined by the most people either working or looking for work.

Metro's participation rate is 78,000, or 71 per cent of the working-age population. For the sake of comparison, the province's second largest participation rate is seen in Fredericton, at just less than 52,000 or 70.7 per cent.

Metro also boasts the lowest unemployment rate in the province, at 3.6 per cent, and the highest employment rate at 68.4 per cent. Fredericton was second, at four per cent and 68 per cent, respectively.

Metro has about 2,800 unemployed people, slightly more than second-place Fredericton's 2,100,

In all, 367,400 New Brunswickers had jobs in November, down by 1,800 from October and down by 1,600 compared to November of last year. The labour force stands at 402,300 people either working or looking for a job.

Nationally, the big hit to the manufacturing sector due to a worsening economy, in particular in the United States where most goods are exported, cost thousands of jobs. Ontario shed 66,000 jobs of the national total of 70,600 lost jobs.

While New Brunswick's unemployment rate improved, it still trails that of other provinces except for Prince Edward Island (down to 10.7 per cent from 11.5 per cent) and Newfoundland and Labrador (steady at 13.7 per cent.)

Nova Scotia recorded the fourth worse rate at 7.8 per cent, up from last month's 7.5 per cent.

Stats Can says year-over-year in New Brunswick, jobs have been lost in areas such as manufacturing and in the sector of information, culture and recreation. Most of the new jobs were created in public administration, health care and social assistance.

About 5,700 jobs have been created this year in southeastern New Brunswick, the statistics show, with another 1,500 in the northwest.

The central region was almost unchanged.

In the southwest, 2,800 jobs were lost as well as 3,100 in Saint John.

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2008, 5:07 PM
From "the Sleuth"

J. Louis Levesque Arena to be refurbished

Well, ol' Santa is getting ready for his annual pilgrimage around the globe and Sleuth hears he already has something special in his sack of goodies for Metro Moncton.

This old gumshoe hears from his sources at Université de Moncton that Santa will be very "sporting" to the campus this year.

Sleuth hears officials with the Jean Louis Levesque Foundation will soon announce a $2.5 million refurbishment project for the university's arena that bears Levesque's name. The project will involve the construction of three major corporate box locations, two new score clocks, the installation of better heating and a total painting of the interior.

Apparently the work will begin soon and some will be completed by the time the Dieppe Commandos host the Fred Page Cup Eastern Canadian Junior Championship next March. All the work will be competed before the beginning of the 2009-10 hockey season.

This news will be greeted warmly not only by university officials, but also the larger Metro community that uses the Levesque. The rink is known to have some of the best ice in New Brunswick, but if you have ever attended a game there, you know you have to bring your mittens and toque -- it's a tad chilly.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 7:01 PM
^ Great news!

Moncton is all about arenas/stadiums lately, new 4 Ice Center, new Kay Arena, new stadium at U de M, Rocky Stone refurb, new "metro center" in the works, and now this! :D

ErickMontreal
Dec 6, 2008, 8:17 PM
It is possible that Mountain Equipment Co-op may move in there, but this is only an unsubstantiated rumour.

That's not gonna happen, at least in that form.

They pointed out earlier this year that Moncton was not on the radar.

They (MEC) generally refurbish old downtown buildings in order to turn them into "environmentally-friendly" type of building.

I mean I do not think they have much enthusiasm for suburban car-oriented development projet because, at the end of the day, it is at odds of what they do everywhere else.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 9:03 PM
^ True, ideal situation would be for them to build on the empty lot left over on Main after that old building burned down a while back (where the mural is).

Although I doubt they will come any time soon

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2008, 9:17 PM
^ True, ideal situation would be for them to build on the empty lot left over on Main after that old building burned down a while back (where the mural is).

Although I doubt they will come any time soon

I'm starting to wonder if that lot is cursed. Similar lots along Main have been redeveloped recently. It's been at least ten years with no action for that lot though.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 9:37 PM
supposedly this condo building is being built on Cameron st:

They are pre-selling now.

http://www.youronlineagents.com/listingphotos/1721/large_106212_284465_01.jpg
credit: Royal Lepage Atlantic

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2008, 9:40 PM

Where on Cameron? It should fit into that neighbouhood OK but sadly, I see more vinyl siding and no brick. :yuck:

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2008, 9:45 PM
That's not gonna happen, at least in that form.

They pointed out earlier this year that Moncton was not on the radar.

They (MEC) generally refurbish old downtown buildings in order to turn them into "environmentally-friendly" type of building.

I mean I do not think they have much enthusiasm for suburban car-oriented development projet because, at the end of the day, it is at odds of what they do everywhere else.

I know what you mean and I see your point. Like I said, it was an unsubstantiated rumour.

The MEC in Halifax is downtown and is a really nice store. I'd really like to see MEC here in Moncton, it's kinda a Canadian LL Bean. I think that they would do well. We're far enough from Halifax that the territories would not conflict too much.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 9:49 PM
Where on Cameron? It should fit into that neighbouhood OK but sadly, I see more vinyl siding and no brick. :yuck:

77 Cameron says the listing, and the map appears to place it at the corner of Gordon and Cameron. I think it will fit in there well, there is a similar building next door.

The listing: http://www.youronlineagents.com/rlpamoncton/viewlisting.php?id=106216

Also in apartment building news...when driving on the wheeler toward Dieppe there is a new fairly large building going up (its 3 floors so far) on the right just before you pass George Dumont...Have we talked about it before or what? haha, it kinda took me by surprise.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 9:51 PM
I know what you mean and I see your point. Like I said, it was an unsubstantiated rumour.

The MEC in Halifax is downtown and is a really nice store. I'd really like to see MEC here in Moncton, it's kinda a Canadian LL Bean. I think that they would do well. We're far enough from Halifax that the territories would not conflict too much.

Its true, and I know many people who drive from Moncton and Freddy to Hali just to go there. Im sure it would do well in Moncton...

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2008, 10:43 PM
Also in apartment building news...when driving on the wheeler toward Dieppe there is a new fairly large building going up (its 3 floors so far) on the right just before you pass George Dumont...Have we talked about it before or what? haha, it kinda took me by surprise.

If it's the building that I think you mean, it's actually closer to the Moncton Hospital than the Dumont Hospital. It will be a very nice building. No, we have not talked about this apartment building at all in the forum.

A large number of the apartments in this building are going to be reserved for medical residents from Dalhousie University Medical School who are training at the Moncton Hospital.

Many people are aware of the newly established medical training program at the Dumont Hospital administered by the Universite de Sherbrooke which allows young Acadians to recieve their full medical training at home without ever having to leave the province but I don't think as many people are aware of the fact that the Moncton Hospital is also heavily invoved in medical training as well.

Most of the time, there are between 20-24 medical students and residents based at the Moncton Hospital involved in programs administered by Dalhousie University. The largest of these programs is the Northumberland Family Medicine Teaching Unit. Family physicians can recieve their complete residency training at the Moncton Hospital.

Medical training at TMH will increase significantly in the next 2-4 years. UNBSJ will be offering a medical training program similar to the Dumont by 2010. This program will have a distributed learning model with 3rd and 4th year medical students being sent around the province. One of the principle hospitals that will be involved in their training will be the TMH. I would suspect that by 2012 there will be about 40 medical students and residents at TMH full time.

Of course we should not forget the UNB Moncton nursing school or the UNB training program in medical x-ray technology also based at TMH.

mmmatt
Dec 6, 2008, 10:43 PM
Just browsing randomly as Im bored at work haha...found this pic, I think someone mentioned recently the development at the army base...so here is a pic of it:

http://www.mid.nb.ca/media_uploads/jpg/1969.jpg
credit: Moncton Industrial Development

The development seems to be stalled however...

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
If it's the building that I think you mean, it's actually closer to the Moncton Hospital than the Dumont Hospital. It will be a very nice building. No, we have not talked about this apartment building at all in the forum.

A large number of the apartments in this building are going to be reserved for medical residents from Dalhousie University Medical School who are training at the Moncton Hospital.

Many people are aware of the newly established medical training program at the Dumont Hospital administered by the Universite de Sherbrooke which allows young Acadians to recieve their full medical training at home without ever having to leave the province but I don't think as many people are aware of the fact that the Moncton Hospital is also heavily invoved in medical training as well.

Most of the time, there are between 20-24 medical students and residents based at the Moncton Hospital involved in programs administered by Dalhousie University. The largest of these programs is the Northumberland Family Medicine Teaching Unit. Family physicians can recieve their complete residency training at the Moncton Hospital.

Medical training at TMH will increase significantly in the next 2-4 years. UNBSJ will be offering a medical training program similar to the Dumont by 2010. This program will have a distributed learning model with 3rd and 4th year medical students being sent around the province. One of the principle hospitals that will be involved in their training will be the TMH. I would suspect that by 2012 there will be about 40 medical students and residents at TMH full time.

Of course we should not forget the UNB Moncton nursing school or the UNB training program in medical x-ray technology also based at TMH.

Would those be one of the two buildings planned for the area? one was supposed to be 5 floors with 64 units, and another next door was 32 units with 4 floors. I forget the name of the street they were going on, but it was very near to the Moncton Hospital.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2008, 10:59 PM

Brick would be nice, but it would be in keeping with that end of Gordon/Cameron to use vinyl. More importantly, the more density down there, the better.

MonctonRad
Dec 7, 2008, 1:18 AM
Would those be one of the two buildings planned for the area? one was supposed to be 5 floors with 64 units, and another next door was 32 units with 4 floors. I forget the name of the street they were going on, but it was very near to the Moncton Hospital.

Those would indeed be the very same apartment buildings.

mmmatt
Dec 8, 2008, 3:51 AM
Not really development related but according to this article (http://tribunenb.canadaeast.com/blog/returnmoncton,504512) Monctons Santa Claus Parade is the 3rd largest in Canada! I didn't have any idea. Cool though.

mylesmalley
Dec 8, 2008, 10:02 AM
NBCC Moncton to get $20M upgrade
Published Monday December 8th, 2008
First $10M for renovation project included in $660M N.B. capital budget tomorrow
A1
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The provincial government will use its capital budget tomorrow to announce nearly $10 million towards a major renovation for Moncton's community college campus.

The funding is the first half of a $20-million project that will be completed within two years, the Times & Transcript has learned.

"This is a major upgrade and addition for new space," said a government source. "There will be approximately 400 new spaces that will be opened up for the community college."

Last month some students were forced to change classrooms because of a leaky roof.

Finance Minister Victor Boudreau is expected to announce $660-million in capital projects for the coming year.

Premier Shawn Graham has said government will spend a total of $1.2 billion on infrastructure over the next two years.

The Liberals have said infrastructure spending and tax cuts are the best way to help New Brunswickers deal with the economic uncertainty.

On Friday, Graham announced roughly $160 million of the $1.2 billion will focus on post-secondary education.

That figure includes $35 million for a new college campus in Edmundston and $45 million for Saint John's community college campus.

mylesmalley
Dec 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
Chamber endorses push for air cargo gateway

Plan to create direct cargo flights from Moncton to Europe gains momentum
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The idea of setting up a regular cargo link between Moncton and Europe is growing in popularity and has earned a glowing endorsement from the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce.

"The whole community and business can benefit from this," chamber chairman Terry Malley said Friday, following a presentation to the chamber by Cléo Savoie, executive-director of the Canada East Air Cargo Gateway.

The air cargo gateway is just a concept at the moment, but one that is starting to gain momentum and support from business and government.

Basically, it is a plan to set up regular cargo flights between Moncton and Europe so time-sensitive materials, like live lobster, can be sent directly across the ocean without first going to other airports like Boston, New York, Montreal or Toronto.

Savoie says the initiative would help Metro Moncton grow as a transportation and logistics hub, creating many new jobs and business opportunities along the way.

In his presentation to the chamber Friday, Savoie said a designated cargo flight would eliminate the "middle man" of other airports and open up a world of opportunity for both importers and exporters in Atlantic Canada.

Moncton is already a well-established hub for transportation and logistics, with 95 per cent of all goods coming to Atlantic Canada going through the region.

The Greater Moncton International Airport already has the capacity to handle large-scale cargo traffic and its highway links give the city 12-hour access to major centres like Boston, New York, Montreal and Toronto. Savoie said that 12-hour distance is important because that puts Moncton within a one-day drive for truckers.

Perishable items, like live lobster and other seafood, are normally transported to Europe in the cargo bellies of passenger aircraft, but those flights are often cancelled or the cargo removed because it is not a priority.

He said a reliable and quick air link would give fish producers and other exporters access to European and Asian markets. He explained that putting these products in a truck and driving them to Boston, Montreal or New York eats up valuable time. By loading cargo on a plane in Moncton and flying direct to Europe, the time saved could be effectively used to transfer the cargo onto another plane for shipment to Asian markets.

Savoie said opening up new markets in Europe and Asia is important to business operators in Atlantic Canada, especially during the current economic crisis.

He said economic conditions may force the incoming U.S. government of President-elect Barack Obama to get tough on imports in favour of home-grown products. As a major trading partner with the U.S., Canada should start looking for other markets.

Shipping our lobster directly to Europe would also help build our own identity, he said, referring to the practice of U.S. exporters re-branding Maritime lobster as "Maine lobster" before it is shipped overseas.

At the moment, the direct cargo flights do not have a proposed destination, but it will likely be somewhere in England, France or Belgium. Savoie's office is currently talking to several air cargo operators to see what kind of a deal can be worked out, but one of the sticking points is the question of what will be in the plane on the return trip.

Savoie said a large cargo jet can burn about $60,000 worth of fuel on a trip across the Atlantic. He's pretty sure it would be full of exported goods on the trip over, but the trick is to get it filled with income-generating cargo for the trip back. That could take some business savvy and development of new relationships between importers and exporters on both sides of the Atlantic.

Savoie said making the plan work will take some bright ideas from business operators who are prepared to change their way of thinking.

"We still have half-ton trucks loaded with lobster going to Boston. With a load that small I don't think that even pays for the gas. We need to start thinking differently."

Malley said the flights could make a difference but agrees it will take some new thinking.

"We need to educate people that there are better ways and more economical ways of doing things, but it's got to be different."

In his own business of building custom vehicles, Malley said he regularly imports parts and accessories from Europe and having them brought directly to Moncton could save time and money. The larger air cargo and courier companies send their planes to large distribution centres like Atlanta or Memphis.

Valerie Roy, executive-director of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce, agreed the plan is interesting and promises to benefit the local economy. She suggested the provincial and federal governments get more involved by promoting it when they send delegations on trade missions to countries in Europe and Asia.

MonctonRad
Dec 8, 2008, 3:31 PM
First $10M for renovation project included in $660M N.B. capital budget tomorrow
A1
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The provincial government will use its capital budget tomorrow to announce nearly $10 million towards a major renovation for Moncton's community college campus.

The funding is the first half of a $20-million project that will be completed within two years, the Times & Transcript has learned.

"This is a major upgrade and addition for new space," said a government source. "There will be approximately 400 new spaces that will be opened up for the community college."

Last month some students were forced to change classrooms because of a leaky roof.

Good news for NBCC Moncton. I presume that the money is going for more than just roof repairs. :haha:

The Moncton NBCC campus is old and needs significant renovations. The differences in the state of repair between the NBCC Moncton and CCNB Dieppe are quite startling. Hopefully this discrepancy will be at least partly addressed by this cash infusion.

Matt, you're a student there aren't you. What do you think?

mmmatt
Dec 8, 2008, 3:40 PM
A1
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

Thats awesome! The school is in pretty bad shape at the moment haha. And the "students" mentioned is my class :P.

I would say the roof is #1 priority...to me I think they should just tear the whole place down and start fresh (the building is 50+ years old and showing it). But This is much better than nothing. The roof has been in shambles for quite a few years according to my teachers, but maybe my class being forced to move was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back :)

sdm
Dec 8, 2008, 3:48 PM
Brick would be nice, but it would be in keeping with that end of Gordon/Cameron to use vinyl. More importantly, the more density down there, the better.

Would you not get more density by building up, instead of having cheap garden style appartments which will probably be built of wood?

mmmatt
Dec 8, 2008, 5:12 PM
Would you not get more density by building up, instead of having cheap garden style appartments which will probably be built of wood?

We're talking about Moncton here, and a three story vinyl/wood siding apartment building is better than three widely spaced run down houses.

sdm
Dec 8, 2008, 5:48 PM
We're talking about Moncton here, and a three story vinyl/wood siding apartment building is better than three widely spaced run down houses.

Understand, but would be so much better to have highrise (albeit 10 stories is far from a highrise) that are concrete construction instead of wood.

mylesmalley
Dec 8, 2008, 6:16 PM
Understand, but would be so much better to have highrise (albeit 10 stories is far from a highrise) that are concrete construction instead of wood.

Yes, of course.

Unfortunately there's no incentive for builders to go that high. Land is ridiculously cheap compared to just about every other CMA in the country. Construction costs rise considerably when you switch from wood based to concrete and steel construction which is required for greater height. As a result, most new apartment buildings in the city are in the 4-5 story range.

For now at least...

Sony500
Dec 8, 2008, 9:25 PM

There is an apartment building going up on Reade St. between Arden and Garfield. Is that one of them that you are talking about?

MonctonRad
Dec 8, 2008, 9:33 PM
There is a rumour that NuBody's is planning to open a new outlet in the Trinity Drive area next year. If so, this will be their fourth location in Metro.

- Downtown Main St. (old Dooley's location)
- Uptown Dieppe (Dieppe Blvd.)
- Main & Vaughn Harvey (ladies only, not yet open)
- Trinity Drive/Mapleton

gehrhardt
Dec 8, 2008, 10:26 PM
There is a rumour that NuBody's is planning to open a new outlet in the Trinity Drive area next year. If so, this will be their fourth location in Metro.

I was a member at the one in Dieppe a couple of years ago. Even back then the trainers there were talking about the new location that was going in the Trinity area.

MonctonRad
Dec 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
Part of Mapleton Road closed

Instability of retaining wall shuts down lane on brand new street

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Moncton officials are grappling this morning with a potentially significant problem that has developed in a new stretch of highway that just recently opened to the public.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=219353&size=500x0
truck drives in a single lane where the sidewalk and the exterior northbound lane of Mapleton Road, between Trinity Drive and Frampton Lane are closed.

The closure is a result of some slope instability in the retaining wall that runs parallel to this part of Mapleton Road. The lane and sidewalk will remain closed until the retaining wall is fixed. Only about one month after first opening the newly rebuilt section of Mapleton Road, the outside northbound lane of the four-lane street, between Trinity Drive and Frampton Lane, has been closed, as well as the sidewalk that runs beside it.

"The closure is a result of some instability in the retaining wall that runs parallel to this part of Mapleton Road," City of Moncton spokesman Paul Thomson says. A fix is likely to take "at least" three weeks, the city says.

In the meantime, the outside lane on the northbound stretch, located just north of where Wheeler Boulevard exits onto Mapleton and onto Trinity Drive, is blocked off by traffic cones and the sidewalk is closed to pedestrians as well. There is no sidewalk on the other side of Mapleton Road.

That stretch of highway receives heavy usage, especially during morning and evening rush hours and during this time of year as Christmas shoppers make their way to the popular shopping area.

While the road opened only last month after being completely rebuilt and expanded to four lanes, the retaining wall accommodates several new retail outlets that are in the process of being built. It is not known how the instability of the wall might affect that busy construction area. No one was working there yesterday.

Engineers working at the new fashion retail outlet notified the city of some undue settling of the slope that separates Mapleton Road from the under-construction retail centre. That prompted the city to close one lane of the road, plus the sidewalk, Thomson says. The retaining wall and slope will be observed for a period of time to gauge the extent of the problem.

"The city is erring on the side of caution," Thomson said last night.

"It's unfortunate but public safety is paramount."

It is "premature" to start discussing who will pay for repairs, if any are necessary, he said.

The problem is not with the road, but with the sloped land and the wall that retains it. However, any undue settling could badly affect the road and sidewalk above it.

Motorists proceeding north of Mapleton Road, or turning northward onto Mapleton from Wheeler Boulevard or Trinity Drive, are advised to watch out for the closed lane. Pedestrians are urged to exercise caution if they have to walk there and drivers should watch out for people on foot who might be walking along the side of the road.

The new section of Mapleton is but the first phase of the busy street's transformation from a bumpy two-lane road into a major entry point into the city. By this time next year, the plan is to have the road twinned all the way northward to the Trans-Canada Highway (Hwy. 2) and to double the size of the Mapleton Road overpass over Wheeler Boulevard to six lanes from three.

That work is expected to get under way in May.

C_Boy
Dec 9, 2008, 7:05 PM
I'm not sure who had mentioned that the Sony store was leaving Champlain mall but I doubt they will be moving in at Mapleton now either... Sony is cutting 16000 jobs and pulling out of businesses...

MonctonRad
Dec 9, 2008, 8:32 PM
I'm not sure who had mentioned that the Sony store was leaving Champlain mall but I doubt they will be moving in at Mapleton now either... Sony is cutting 16000 jobs and pulling out of businesses...

The number of job losses I've heard is only 8000 and these will only be from the electronics manufacturing division. This job loss is less than 5% of the global Sony workforce. I imagine there will be no impact on the Canadian retail sales division.

Personally, I'd rather keep the Sony Store at Champlain. It's one of the few reasons to go to that mall. Most of the stores there are high end women's clothiers. Not much to attract a middle aged male with no fashion sense.

mylesmalley
Dec 9, 2008, 8:45 PM
The number of job losses I've heard is only 8000 and these will only be from the electronics manufacturing division. This job loss is less than 5% of the global Sony workforce. I imagine there will be no impact on the Canadian retail sales division.

Personally, I'd rather keep the Sony Store at Champlain. It's one of the few reasons to go to that mall. Most of the stores there are high end women's clothiers. Not much to attract a middle aged male with no fashion sense.

There are reasons to go to Champlain Place?

gehrhardt
Dec 9, 2008, 9:14 PM

Well, to keep the wife happy. :haha:

mmmatt
Dec 10, 2008, 12:57 AM

Sony Store, Wal Mart, West 49, Boathouse, HMV, EB Games...there's some cool stuff. :)

mylesmalley
Dec 10, 2008, 1:34 AM
Sony Store, Wal Mart, West 49, Boathouse, HMV, EB Games...there's some cool stuff. :)

I suppose...

stephan.richard
Dec 10, 2008, 3:22 AM

I must agree with you STU.... Also i wish that they would fill in th vacant stores with good stuff.... Also I wish tha Aeropostale, Hollister and Abrecrombie and Fitch could move to Moncton.

mylesmalley
Dec 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
New jail part of $660M budget
Published Wednesday December 10th, 2008

N.B. capital budget unveiled, but finance minister won't confirm new detention centre will be built in Moncton
A1
By Mary Moszynski
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - A new jail will be built in southeastern New Brunswick as part of the Liberal government's plan to boost infrastructure spending.

Finance Minister Victor Boudreau announced the project during his capital budget released yesterday.

However, Boudreau refused to say whether the jail will be built in Moncton.

"We are going to be building a new detention centre, It's close to $35 million estimated over the next two ynext two years," he said. "It's a very positive project; I believe it's one that's been on the books for a few years now."

The former Conservative government committed to replacing the Moncton Detention Centre, doubling the capacity to 200 spaces, and set aside $500,000 for planning and design work.

However, the Liberals didn't follow through with the project. Last month Public Safety Minister John Foran told the Times & Transcript his department has completed a review of correctional facilities in the province and Moncton remains a priority.

The Moncton jail is overcrowded and in 2005 the jury in a coroner's inquest into the death of a prisoner at the detention centre called for a new jail as its main recommendation.

The Liberals refused to divulge any details yesterday, even though government officials released specifics on many of the other major projects prior to the actual release of the budget.

As well, the Liberals announced a new jail will also be built in Dalhousie.

In total, Boudreau announced roughly $661 million in capital spending for 2009-2010, an increase of roughly $175 million from this year.

Valerie Roy, CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce, said the Liberal government's approach of boosting infrastructure spending will help local businesses weather economic uncertainty. "The spending creates jobs right away and also there are a lot of spin-offs," she said.

Many of the projects outlined in the budget were previously announced or leaked to media over the past couple of days, including $20 million over the next two years for NBCC Moncton.

A total of $160 million will be spent on college and university buildings over the next two years, including $30 million next year for the province's four publicly-funded universities.

As well, Boudreau announced roughly $49.5 million will be spent next year on schools from Kindergarten to Grade 12.

Details of the projects will be announced when individual departments outline their spending during estimates in the coming weeks. However, Boudreau did say that government will soon issue a request for 'expressions of interest' from the private sector for the construction of new schools in Rexton and Moncton north.

Boudreau also announced $6.7 million for the Dr. Georges L. Dumont Regional Hospital to begin a major expansion.

As well, money will be given to the hospital to purchase new linear accelerators that will help address wait times for radiation therapy.

mmmatt
Dec 10, 2008, 2:59 PM
^ Great! A jail doesnt really belong downtown anyways.

Excellent news about the hospital too :), an expansion of bed capacity is greatly needed at that hospital.

MonctonRad
Dec 10, 2008, 3:22 PM
^ Great! A jail doesnt really belong downtown anyways.

Excellent news about the hospital too :), an expansion of bed capacity is greatly needed at that hospital.

I'm sure that the expansion at the Dumont has nothing to do with extra beds, although both hospitals could stand to have extra capacity.

The money I believe is for extra space in radiation oncology and medical imaging for new linear accelerators and a PET/CT scanner.

re: the jail, I'm certainly glad to see it vacate downtown. This will certainly free up all the land behind Assumption Place for a major development of some kind.

I don't really care if the new jail is built in Moncton or not but, since all the court facilities in southeastern NB are to be consolidated in the new justice complex, it would make sense to locate the new jail somewhere in the metro area. Perhaps it could go in one of the industrial parks, like it is down in Halifax.

mylesmalley
Dec 10, 2008, 3:57 PM
I'm sure that the expansion at the Dumont has nothing to do with extra beds, although both hospitals could stand to have extra capacity.

The money I believe is for extra space in radiation oncology and medical imaging for new linear accelerators and a PET/CT scanner.

re: the jail, I'm certainly glad to see it vacate downtown. This will certainly free up all the land behind Assumption Place for a major development of some kind.

I don't really care if the new jail is built in Moncton or not but, since all the court facilities in southeastern NB are to be consolidated in the new justice complex, it would make sense to locate the new jail somewhere in the metro area. Perhaps it could go in one of the industrial parks, like it is down in Halifax.

They could go for the convenience factor and put it in Dorcester. Medium, Minimum, and local, all on the same block.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 10, 2008, 5:51 PM
Where does it say anywhere in that article that it (jail) "won't" be built downtown...it doesn't...it would make sense to build it close to the police station and the new courthouse just for security and sheer logistics. What it does say is that it may not be built in Moncton...at all....which I view as bad, I'd take downtown somewhere over not at all.

The thing that confuses me...why was the 'new jail', not part of the justice complex!?!? Wouldn't it make sense to have the criminals go through private secure stairwell/elevator directly from the jail to the court rooms and back to the jail instead of having to transport them?

Jason

mylesmalley
Dec 10, 2008, 6:11 PM
Where does it say anywhere in that article that it (jail) "won't" be built downtown...it doesn't...it would make sense to build it close to the police station and the new courthouse just for security and sheer logistics. What it does say is that it may not be built in Moncton...at all....which I view as bad, I'd take downtown somewhere over not at all.

The thing that confuses me...why was the 'new jail', not part of the justice complex!?!? Wouldn't it make sense to have the criminals go through private secure stairwell/elevator directly from the jail to the court rooms and back to the jail instead of having to transport them?

Jason

It's probably a perception thing. It wouldnt' seem right if, for example, the police shared a building with the courts. While I have the utmost respect for the police, I also think that the judiciary should be seen as a completely independent body.

michael_d40
Dec 10, 2008, 7:51 PM
I must agree with you STU.... Also i wish that they would fill in th vacant stores with good stuff.... Also I wish tha Aeropostale, Hollister and Abrecrombie and Fitch could move to Moncton.

Well..... You can always come to Saint John for your Aeropostale fix :P

ErickMontreal
Dec 10, 2008, 8:23 PM
Well..... You can always come to Saint John for your Aeropostale fix :P

No offence but Aeropostale sells the same generic stuff than Urban Planet, American Outfitter, Bootlegger ect, why make a trip to SJ in order to find roughly the samething?

Sony500
Dec 10, 2008, 9:30 PM
Sounds like to me the article is saying that nothing "yet" will be done with the jail downtown. Maybe nothing at all will be done, but I don't take it that it will be vacated and torn down.

michael_d40
Dec 10, 2008, 9:52 PM
No offence but Aeropostale sells the same generic stuff than Urban Planet, American Outfitter, Bootlegger ect, why make a trip to SJ in order to find roughly the samething?

Why you ask? Well if you wernt so quick to respond with another sly comment, and read previous posts, you would be able to answer your own question. But to answer your question, as to WHY? Because people like stephan, as stated in their post LIKE IT. Wow..> Typical Monctonian is what you are.:yuck:

michael_d40
Dec 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
Well Well Well.. Look what i found in my inbox... TYPICAL MONCTONIAN... Sad Creatures I tell ya.

Private Message: Your a loser

Today, 06:11 PM

Your a loser

can you really f*** off seriously we dont go on the saint john thing and say s*** about stores and then mouth at someone. He pointed out the fact that they all sell the same type of clothing so why travel the distance for one store. Stay out of the moncton forum if you want to be a baby go to the bars and get drunk and mouth about moncton there becasue nobody wants to hear what you have to say you an immature, arrogant, asshole who needs to grow up je*** pull the stick out of your a** and act like man instead of a child.

Wishblade
Dec 11, 2008, 12:21 AM
^ Wow, what a loser.

Dmajackson
Dec 11, 2008, 12:42 AM
Okay people seriously just relax. I've read through and well I don't see how he was discriminating against Moncton. All he said was SJ had one store Monc didn't. So what, different cities have different stores, no need to get personal people.

I say we just all be careful of what we say and support one another. Besides the three cities who post on this thread are like sisters. SJ, Hali and Monc have been and always will be direct competitors but competition is healthy is it not?

:)

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2008, 12:43 AM

Another flame war (sigh) :yuck:

ErickMontreal
Dec 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
Why you ask? Well if you wernt so quick to respond with another sly comment, and read previous posts, you would be able to answer your own question. But to answer your question, as to WHY? Because people like stephan, as stated in their post LIKE IT.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, he likes the store, this is perfect to me.

Wow..> Typical Monctonian is what you are.:yuck:

BTW, did you ever come here to support your statement ?

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2008, 2:45 AM
Trying to steer the forum back on course.......

I think we are beginning to see the planets alligning for the future development of downtown Moncton.

In the past, there has been developmental paralysis because no one knew where the courthouse was going to be built and no one knew what the future of the old provincial jail was. Meanwhile, Verdiroc had city council under it's thumb for about a decade. This not only tied the hands of people interested in the Beaver Lumber lands and in the lands behind Assumption. It also cast uncertainty over the availability of other downtown properties for development as well; lands such as the Subaru dealership or even Highfield Square.

Now we know that the courthouse is going to the Beaver Lumber site. We know the jail will be relocated. Verdiroc is moribund. This frees up the lands behind Assumption Place for something significant. Meanwhile, other developers will look at the other properties downtown in a new light, knowing that these lands can be used for other projects.

The uncertainty is gone. I think we will see some significant projects downtown in the upcoming 3-5 years. Perhaps we will even see the fabled downtown arena/convention/commercial complex (I won't call it "metro centre"). :tup:

mmmatt
Dec 11, 2008, 3:14 AM
Trying to steer the forum back on course.......

I think we are beginning to see the planets alligning for the future development of downtown Moncton.

In the past, there has been developmental paralysis because no one knew where the courthouse was going to be built and no one knew what the future of the old provincial jail was. Meanwhile, Verdiroc had city council under it's thumb for about a decade. This not only tied the hands of people interested in the Beaver Lumber lands and in the lands behind Assumption. It also cast uncertainty over the availability of other downtown properties for development as well; lands such as the Subaru dealership or even Highfield Square.

Now we know that the courthouse is going to the Beaver Lumber site. We know the jail will be relocated. Verdiroc is moribund. This frees up the lands behind Assumption Place for something significant. Meanwhile, other developers will look at the other properties downtown in a new light, knowing that these lands can be used for other projects.

The uncertainty is gone. I think we will see some significant projects downtown in the upcoming 3-5 years. Perhaps we will even see the fabled downtown arena/convention/commercial complex (I won't call it "metro centre"). :tup:

Good points MonctonRad

My "downtown plan" haha. :tup:

Step 1 Justice Center built on beaver lumber site. (99% likely to start in less than a year)

Step 2 Downtown arena/convention/commercial complex the "former" jail site (50% likely to start in 3 years or less)

Step 3 Behind these developments would rise a 4-5+ floor parking garage, for Assumption, Justice Center, Arena, Hotel Beau.

Step 4 Develop the massive lot beside the Rogers Call center. Mid-high density residential, retail and commercial.

Step 5 Develop lot behind new Marriott to complete that end of Assumption.

Step 6 Focus development on side streets ie where the market is etc.

mylesmalley
Dec 11, 2008, 4:04 AM
Good points MonctonRad

Step 1 Justice Center built on beaver lumber site. (99% likely to start in less than a year)

Step 2 Downtown arena/convention/commercial complex the "former" jail site (50% likely to start in 3 years or less)

Step 3 Behind these developments would rise a 4-5+ floor parking garage, for Assumption, Justice Center, Arena, Hotel Beau.

Step 4 Develop the massive lot beside the Rogers Call center. Mid-high density residential, retail and commercial.

I think your third step is definitely going to happen. With the exception of the lot behind the Marriot, and the one next to Bore Park, there really aren't any vacant lots. Whatever isn't built up right now is currently used as parking. As these new buildings go up, the greater demand for parking will be augmented by the fact that the number of spaces will be shrinking at the same time. It's going to be a pretty high priority fairly soon.

I'd also really like to see the city resurface Lutz street from Main to Assumption. That street is a disgrace. It's uneven, narrow, potholed, and has really ugly above-ground power lines.

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2008, 4:33 AM
Good points MonctonRad

Wow Matt, you and I think a lot alike. That is pretty much exactly what I would like to see happen. I agree that the arena should go behind Assumption. That would certainly entail a large parking facility to serve the arena/convention centre and adjacent hotel as well as Assumption Place . If the lot behind the Marriott were developed as well (high end condos anyone?), the city would have a downtown core impressive in scope and large enough to act as a generator for future growth. We are just that close to seeing the dream realized!!

mmmatt
Dec 11, 2008, 5:41 AM
Color For the Page

Random topic this time haha... :P
Ships named after Moncton

Maersk Moncton
Container ship (Maersk/Sealand)
Built 1989 (renamed to Maersk Moncton in 2006)
I think she needs some paint haha
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Norfolk_Maersk/MskMoncton_080531-9276_b.jpg
credit: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk

HMCS Moncton (MM 708)
Kingston-class coastal defence vessel (Canadian Forces)
Built 1997
http://unheardunseen.com/db1/00028/unheardunseen.com/_uimages/HMCSMonctonLeavingYarmouthSmaller.jpg
credit: http://unheardunseen.com

HMCS Moncton (K139)
Flower-class corvette (Royal Canadian Navy)
Built 1941, decommissioned 1945, sold 1955, scrapped 1966
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/project_pride/all_images/photo_archive_images/Large/CN-1161.jpg
credit: Royal Canadian Navy

stephan.richard
Dec 11, 2008, 6:03 AM
Okay people seriously just relax. I've read through and well I don't see how he was discriminating against Moncton. All he said was SJ had one store Monc didn't. So what, different cities have different stores, no need to get personal people.

I say we just all be careful of what we say and support one another. Besides the three cities who post on this thread are like sisters. SJ, Hali and Monc have been and always will be direct competitors but competition is healthy is it not?

:)

I must agree with you these three cities have allways been direct competition. And all three cities are jealous of eachother. What Halifax has Monton and Saint John wants. And it has always been the case and it is healthy for the Maritimes.

But as far as developpment for the Downtown core in Mncton I could see a bunch of projects that could take off and that will take the construction of the courthouse, then the Metro Center and that could be the catalyst for many developpements for the downtown core. One more thing would be to move the jail from the downtown core and nove it to the moncton industrial park, Caledonia industrial park.. Or Even in Scoudouc. But if that can be done I can envision a convention center, high rise developpement, and a large condo project.

mylesmalley
Dec 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
No site yet chosen for jail
Published Thursday December 11th, 2008

FREDERICTON - The provincial government is unable to say where the new jail for southeastern New Brunswick will be built because it hasn't yet purchased land.

A government official said the Liberals aren't ready to announce the location of the new jail, or confirm whether it's located in Moncton, because the site selection must still be finalized.

Earlier this week, Finance Minister Victor Boudreau announced a new jail will be built in southeastern New Brunswick. The former Conservative government promised to replace the Moncton Detention Centre.

-----------------------
Why does the paper insist on politicizing everything? What difference does it make if the Conservatives promised to build a new jail; they never did.

David_99
Dec 11, 2008, 3:28 PM
Definitely. In the same vein Moncton needs to develop the side streets leading to the boardwalk park. A nice gateway. Right now if I'm walking downtown and want to go to the park, I end up cutting through the parking lot between Blue Cross and Studio 700.

I'd also really like to see the city resurface Lutz street from Main to Assumption. That street is a disgrace. It's uneven, narrow, potholed, and has really ugly above-ground power lines.

Hell yes. I drive my wife to work every day on Lutz and it is pitiful. I was almost disappointed when they added the expansion to the old Hawk building on the corner because I thought it would have been a great opportunity to expand Lutz to at least 3 lanes at the intersection and resurface everything below Main as you suggested.