PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Jul 29, 2008, 1:59 AM
Where exactly is this windfarm going? How many turbines?

Specifically, You can find the project site if you take the Turtle Creek Road south almost as far as Caledonia Mountain, then turn right on Prosser Brook Road and then go maybe 5-6 km. The entrance to the site will be on your left.

In terms of capacity, the farm will consist of 32 wind turbines with a power output of 96 MW. This is apparently enough to power 17,000 homes or, (assuming 4 people per household), roughly about half the population of metro Moncton.

Each tower will be 80 m tall with the turbine blades being 45 m in length. This means that each windmill will be a grand total of slightly over 100 m tall (or about the height of a 30 storey building).

According to the interview on CBC Radio today, the windfarm will be visible from Lutes Mountain/Magnetic Hill with good quality binoculars. This is a distance of slightly over 30 km.

There are two other wind farm projects which have been approved for the Tantramar Marshes, one each on either side of the Nova Scotia/New Brunswick border. Both of these projects will also contain multiple turbines.

Suddenly the horizon of southeastern New Brunswick will be dominated by giant windmills.

kirjtc2
Jul 29, 2008, 2:41 AM
If you've been on the new TCH near Perth-Andover, there's a similar windfarm project in Maine that you can see for miles from the highway. They're absolutely huge, but very elegant in a way.

mylesmalley
Jul 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
Moncton among top business cities in Canada
Published Tuesday July 29th, 2008

Accounting firm rates Hub City behind only St. John's as most tax-friendly urban centre in which to do business
A1
By David Shipley
Canadaeast News Service

MONCTON - Two New Brunswick cities are in the top three when it comes to the most business tax friendly urban centres in Canada, says a new report.

According to international accounting firm KPMG LLP, Moncton ranked second and Fredericton third in a new ranking of the corporate tax competitiveness of cities in Canada.

St. John’s was the most tax competitive Canadian city.

“If you look at places like Moncton and Fredericton...they’re way lower than places like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto as far as tax costs go,” said Greg Wiebe, KPMG’s Canadian Managing Partner for Tax.

The study was released yesterday morning.

New Brunswick’s adoption of the Harmonized Sales Tax is one reason its cities are so competitive, said Wiebe.

Harmonizing provincial consumption taxes with the federal Goods and Services Tax exempted businesses from the HST, he said.

Weibe noted that other Canadian provinces, except for Alberta, have provincial sales taxes that are a cost both to businesses and individuals.

“That really creates a competitive advantage compared to other cities in Canada,” he said.

The KPMG survey was a comprehensive look at all aspects of business taxes, said Wiebe.

“Every time you see surveys on taxation, they tend to be on the published corporate taxes and they really don’t get into the nuts and bolts that will be attracted by business when they actually try to go in a set up a business,” he said.

“So we thought it was about time that we looked at not only corporate (income) tax rates but other corporate tax rates that apply — payroll taxes, statutory labour taxes, capital taxes, sales taxes, capital, property taxes ...

and try and bundle them altogether to get a true sense for what all the taxes might look at for a corporation.”

Wiebe say if the province follows through on a proposal to cut corporate income taxes from 13 per cent to as low as five per cent, it could further improve its tax competitiveness.

John Thompson, chief executive officer of Enterprise Greater Moncton, said Moncton’s secondplace finish on the survey is great news for the Hub City.

Independent survey results such as the tax study can be used to help sell Metro Moncton as the place to establish and grow a business, he said.

“It’s invaluable,” he said.

“We can go out and say ‘KPMG, a world-recognized organization has recognized us as having a very solid tax regime,” said Thompson.

He also noted that KPMG has named Moncton the best city in which to do business in Atlantic Canada and New England for two years in a row.

Don Fitzgerald, executive director of Team Fredericton, the capital city’s marketing and promotion division, which focuses on economic development, said the survey results are “terrific news.”

“It confirms that we present real value to companies looking to locate here. It’s certainly something that we’ll be promoting along with the result of our value proposition, including being one of the top seven intelligent communities in the world.”

Business New Brunswick Minister Greg Byrne said the tax competitiveness survey results are good news for the entire province.

“Those accolades are invaluable in selling New Brunswick as a great place to do business,” he said.

“It’s one thing for me as minister of Business New Brunswick to say to a business audience that New Brunswick is a great place to do business...but when you have credible independent sources verifying that, it just adds immensely to the credibility of the statement itself.”

JasonL-Moncton
Jul 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
Saw some 'different' activity at the Maplton site this morning, looks like things are beginning.

PersonPlaceorThing
Jul 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on how the opening of the causeway gates will impact development along the waterfront?

When I was living in Moncton, I was impressed with the pathway along the river (though I never did get to use it as effectively as the running room crew). I imagine people would like to live in close proximity to that pathway and the water. Are there many multi-family residential options near the river?

MonctonRad
Jul 29, 2008, 3:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on how the opening of the causeway gates will impact development along the waterfront?

When I was living in Moncton, I was impressed with the pathway along the river (though I never did get to use it as effectively as the running room crew). I imagine people would like to live in close proximity to that pathway and the water. Are there many multi-family residential options near the river?

I agree that the footpaths and trails along both sides of the Petitcodiac River are really an underappreciated gem in the heart of metro Moncton. Even the part of the trail that goes through the former landfill is really quite nice. It feels secluded and quiet yet it exists in the heart of a metropolitan area with a population approaching 130,000.

As far as opening the gates of the causeway is concerned, I must admit that I personally am a little wary concerning this "project". Don't get me wrong, the building of the causeway in 1968 was truly an ecological catastrophe of near epic proportions. It should never have been done. I'm just not sure that the best way to remediate the situation is by opening the gates.

As it stands now, the government is going to open the gates next year and then "study" the situation for a couple of years prior to deciding whether or not to replace the causeway with a partial bridge. Meanwhile the feds have been quite explicit that they have no intention to provide any funding to build a new bridge. At a cost approaching $100 million, I don't think the province would build a bridge on its own.

By opening the gates, you will drain the Lake Petitcodiac head pond thus removing its recreational value. All that would be left is exposed mud flats that will reduce adjacent property values. Meanwhile the causeway will remain in place and thus constitute a "choke-point" that will continue to inhibit the flushing action necessary to clean out the river downstream. In fact, what I'm willing to predict is that Bay of Fundy silt will be transported upstream on the incoming tide, get trapped behind the causeway and this will result in rapid siltation of the former head pond. Thus without removing the causeway, all you will end up accomplishing is a heavily silted riverbed both above and below the causeway.

Something needs to be done. No question about it. I just thing that the current plan is hairbrained, poorly conceived and consists of half measures that will only make things worse.

Any other opinions?

JasonL-Moncton
Jul 29, 2008, 4:37 PM
I agree that the footpaths and trails along both sides of the Petitcodiac River are really an underappreciated gem in the heart of metro Moncton. Even the part of the trail that goes through the former landfill is really quite nice. It feels secluded and quiet yet it exists in the heart of a metropolitan area with a population approaching 130,000.

As far as opening the gates of the causeway is concerned, I must admit that I personally am a little wary concerning this "project". Don't get me wrong, the building of the causeway in 1968 was truly an ecological catastrophe of near epic proportions. It should never have been done. I'm just not sure that the best way to remediate the situation is by opening the gates.

As it stands now, the government is going to open the gates next year and then "study" the situation for a couple of years prior to deciding whether or not to replace the causeway with a partial bridge. Meanwhile the feds have been quite explicit that they have no intention to provide any funding to build a new bridge. At a cost approaching $100 million, I don't think the province would build a bridge on its own.

By opening the gates, you will drain the Lake Petitcodiac head pond thus removing its recreational value. All that would be left is exposed mud flats that will reduce adjacent property values. Meanwhile the causeway will remain in place and thus constitute a "choke-point" that will continue to inhibit the flushing action necessary to clean out the river downstream. In fact, what I'm willing to predict is that Bay of Fundy silt will be transported upstream on the incoming tide, get trapped behind the causeway and this will result in rapid siltation of the former head pond. Thus without removing the causeway, all you will end up accomplishing is a heavily silted riverbed both above and below the causeway.

Something needs to be done. No question about it. I just thing that the current plan is hairbrained, poorly conceived and consists of half measures that will only make things worse.

Any other opinions?

The paths are nice...but VERY under utilized. There is a LOT of plans in the project to protect the existing shoreline and the dump area thus I believe that the paths will be protected and eventually will be along a much nicer waterway than is currently there.

Opening the gates is just the 'first step' in the process, I agree two years of study is a bit ridiculous, but as long as other 'prep' work continues during this time it is fine.

If the current federal government is re-elected it will be 'embarrassed' into kicking in some financial money and will look like the 'saviors' of the project...wait and see. If the Liberals are elected, just last week Liberal Leader Stephane Dion stated that he would financially support the changes if elected.

There is VERY little recreational 'value' to Lake Petitcodiac (they don't live in 'lakeview' they live in 'riverview'). If they wanted to continue to have a 'marina' (the current one being a joke) they could have a 'tidal' marina. A tidal marina has a 'gate or lock' that closes when the tide recedes leaving marina levels at a 'constant' while the water is lower outside the marina. The true 'value' would be once the river flows free again and without the gates in place you could go anywhere in the world (which used to be possible) from the downtown GMA.

Also, part of the plan is to 'widen' the existing channel at the 'gate' location to roughly 225m (675 feet) which will allow for a much freer flow of the river and allow 'larger' boats to traverse the waterway.

This is a all a 'good thing'...

Jason

mylesmalley
Jul 29, 2008, 4:57 PM

Any other opinions?

First and foremost, I am absolutely opposed to the residents along the lake who's only concern is a drop in property value. I find that completely self-serving and selfish and I question the motives of a lot of people who claim to have 'the will of the citizenry at heart'. I can, however, appreciate the argument that opening the gates will destroy the 'new' ecosystem of the lake. That said, it isnt' much of an ecosystem at all, and being artificial, the natural way would be preferable.

I don't know exactly what will happen when they open the gates. Certainly, the water level in the lake will suffer but it's hard to say if that will be permanent. As it stands, you could probably walk across Lake Peticodiac and not get your shoulders wet until you get to the channel on the Riverview side. Personally, I think if the gates are opened and the river let be, the tides will gradually flush out a lot of the silt and sediment. As JasonL said, the plan is to significantly widen the channel after two years. If i'm right, that'll go a long way to clearing more out.

While you might be right about silt catching behind what's left of the causeway, I'm not sure that will be the case, MonctonRad. If that were so, in theory, silt should build up everywhere along the river where water isn't afforded the path of least resistance. What's left of the channel should have gradually filled in from the causeway down-river.

As for the feds. I think it's hypocritical that they'll fund harbour cleanup projects in Halifax and Saint John but not help to fix a river that's consitently ranked one of Canada's worst.

The project is expected to cost a lot of money, but in my opinion, it will be well spent. Believe it or not, a lot of tourists still visit the bore-in all it's splendor. Restoring a once-mighty attraction right in the heart of the city could be very good for the economy and attractiveness of the city, as well as being good for the environment.

JasonL-Moncton
Jul 29, 2008, 5:11 PM
As for the feds. I think it's hypocritical that they'll fund harbour cleanup projects in Halifax and Saint John but not help to fix a river that's consitently ranked one of Canada's worst.

It's because the P-River isn't a revenue generator like they are which is a joke.

Here are examples of a tidal lock Marina:

http://www.hythemarinaassociation.org.uk/HMA/Marina/marina_images/empty_lock.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Private_Boat_Lock_In_Viaduct_Basin.jpg/800px-Private_Boat_Lock_In_Viaduct_Basin.jpg

http://www.stampedecruising.com/Oswego%20Canal/Oswego%20Canal_files/image003.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Canallock.png

Not a lock Marina...but the same principal:

http://www.maltesefalcon.ca/images/uploaded/IMG_2998.JPG

mylesmalley
Jul 29, 2008, 5:16 PM
It's because the P-River isn't a revenue generator like they are which is a joke.

Here are examples of a tidal lock Marina:

http://www.hythemarinaassociation.org.uk/HMA/Marina/marina_images/empty_lock.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Private_Boat_Lock_In_Viaduct_Basin.jpg/800px-Private_Boat_Lock_In_Viaduct_Basin.jpg

http://www.stampedecruising.com/Oswego%20Canal/Oswego%20Canal_files/image003.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Canallock.png

Not a lock Marina...but the same principal:

http://www.maltesefalcon.ca/images/uploaded/IMG_2998.JPG

Great idea, but the town of Riverview was too damn cheap to build a four lane road around town. I doubt they'd spring for a major public works project like that...

JasonL-Moncton
Jul 29, 2008, 6:47 PM
I know, those were 'large' locks...the one here would never be on that scale, at least not for decades.

But hey...if Bruce Fitch becomes leader of the PC party...Riverview may have deeper pockets ;)

MonctonRad
Jul 29, 2008, 9:07 PM
To clarify (I wrote my original opinion quickly while on lunch break), I am not against the idea of opening the causeway gates and something does need to be done to restore the river to at least a semblance of its former glory.

My main concern here is that there has been no firm commitment of funds to building a replacement bridge. While the provincial government states that this is their ultimate goal, the feds are not on board. Because of this, there could be significant delays in ultimately building the bridge. The anticipated delay is two years but it could be five years, ten years or even longer. During this time siltation will occur upstream, permanently impairing the flushing abilities of the river.

My own preference would be to build the replacement bridge first; carry out any remediation necessary downstream (including channel dredging and firming up embankments) and only then open the causeway gates and remove the old causeway. To do it any other way (IMHO), may only make the existing situation worse.

Mind you, I am not a hydrodynamic engineer so I may be somewhat ill informed but I do know how blood flows in a stenotic carotid artery so I am not a complete wingnut on this issue.

Finally, it should be remembered that the Petitcodiac River will never be completely restored and will remain a shadow of its former self. The tidal bore will never be mighty again. The issues here are purely ecological. The river should be allowed to flow freely. The main question is "what is the best way to do this?"

I still think Shawn Graham is running off half cocked on this issue. Nothing should be done until funding is firmly in place and a strict timeline of events towards building the new bridge has been established.

mylesmalley
Jul 29, 2008, 10:14 PM
To clarify (I wrote my original opinion quickly while on lunch break), I am not against the idea of opening the causeway gates and something does need to be done to restore the river to at least a semblance of its former glory.

My main concern here is that there has been no firm commitment of funds to building a replacement bridge. While the provincial government states that this is their ultimate goal, the feds are not on board. Because of this, there could be significant delays in ultimately building the bridge. The anticipated delay is two years but it could be five years, ten years or even longer. During this time siltation will occur upstream, permanently impairing the flushing abilities of the river.

My own preference would be to build the replacement bridge first; carry out any remediation necessary downstream (including channel dredging and firming up embankments) and only then open the causeway gates and remove the old causeway. To do it any other way (IMHO), may only make the existing situation worse.

Mind you, I am not a hydrodynamic engineer so I may be somewhat ill informed but I do know how blood flows in a stenotic carotid artery so I am not a complete wingnut on this issue.

Finally, it should be remembered that the Petitcodiac River will never be completely restored and will remain a shadow of its former self. The tidal bore will never be mighty again. The issues here are purely ecological. The river should be allowed to flow freely. The main question is "what is the best way to do this?"

I still think Shawn Graham is running off half cocked on this issue. Nothing should be done until funding is firmly in place and a strict timeline of events towards building the new bridge has been established.

I should probably qualify that I have no training as an hydrodynamic engineer either. I was more or less restating the plan that's been presented in the newspaper. Also, I'm sorry if I came off like I was disagreeing with you. I think we're both of a similar mind on the issue, in that something needs to be done. I just really wanted to get that point in about the property owners in the area. I find all too often, a drop land values is the only argument they seem to care about.

MonctonRad
Jul 29, 2008, 11:23 PM
I should probably qualify that I have no training as an hydrodynamic engineer either. I was more or less restating the plan that's been presented in the newspaper. Also, I'm sorry if I came off like I was disagreeing with you. I think we're both of a similar mind on the issue, in that something needs to be done. I just really wanted to get that point in about the property owners in the area. I find all too often, a drop land values is the only argument they seem to care about.

Rest assured Myles, I did not take offense at what you said. It's certainly stimulating to have serious debates on the issues here in this forum. I just wanted to clarify my position re: the causeway.

Whatever the fate of the river (and I have no doubt that the causeway will be replaced); it is a resource that we as Monctonians should cherish. The riverfront trails are a gem. The "bore" will return (to some degree) and will continue to be a tourist attraction of some form (if for no other reason than the irony of its name).

There is all sorts of land available along the riverbank that can be developed to benefit the city in the future (but hopefully in a carefully planned and ecologically friendly manner such as along the Ottawa River in our nation's capital).

Any thought about what should be done along the riverbank?

1- A linear parkway along the banks of the river should absolutely be maintained, including the hiking and biking trails.
2- The city has previously stated that it would like to extend Assumption Blvd. all the way to the existing causeway. Do the other forumers here think this is a good idea? Is it necessary?
3- What should be done with the former landfill? It has been remediated quite nicely and the existing riverfront trails through the area are pleasant. Should the whole site be turned into a park? There was some talk at one point that it could be turned into a golf course. Is this a good idea? What do people think?

mylesmalley
Jul 29, 2008, 11:41 PM
Rest assured Myles, I did not take offense at what you said. It's certainly stimulating to have serious debates on the issues here in this forum. I just wanted to clarify my position re: the causeway.

Whatever the fate of the river (and I have no doubt that the causeway will be replaced); it is a resource that we as Monctonians should cherish. The riverfront trails are a gem. The "bore" will return (to some degree) and will continue to be a tourist attraction of some form (if for no other reason than the irony of its name).

There is all sorts of land available along the riverbank that can be developed to benefit the city in the future (but hopefully in a carefully planned and ecologically friendly manner such as along the Ottawa River in our nation's capital).

Any thought about what should be done along the riverbank?

1- A linear parkway along the banks of the river should absolutely be maintained, including the hiking and biking trails.
2- The city has previously stated that it would like to extend Assumption Blvd. all the way to the existing causeway. Do the other forumers here think this is a good idea? Is it necessary?
3- What should be done with the former landfill? It has been remediated quite nicely and the existing riverfront trails through the area are pleasant. Should the whole site be turned into a park? There was some talk at one point that it could be turned into a golf course. Is this a good idea? What do people think?

Personally, I'd like to see the area turned into some form of urban forest, like Mapleton has become. Because the land was a former landfill, I really doubt it'd be worth it to turn it into much else. The trails are nice, but the area can be rather bleak with so few trees. And who knows, all those toxins from the landfill might create some neat plant growth... another tourism idea.

I'd like to see Assumption extended, but not to the causeway. I doubt the city or province would be willing to pay to build an interchange as complex as would be needed there. That traffic circle in its current configuration is barely capable of handling the four major roads that meet there as is. I'd sooner see Assumption continue roughly straight forward towards Main and meet up somewhere around Upton or Newton street.

In theory, that would create a second major entrance to downtown and create a continuous 4 lane road through the city centre. It could act somewhat like the 'missing' stretch of Wheeler between the traffic circles along the waterfront. It would greatly improve access to the river, as well as any further projects, such as a new arena, and hopefully higher-density residential development along the water. Most importantly, I think it would take a lot of the congestion off Main created by people going from the West end and going to Dieppe.

MonctonRad
Jul 30, 2008, 3:12 AM
Personally, I'd like to see the area turned into some form of urban forest, like Mapleton has become. Because the land was a former landfill, I really doubt it'd be worth it to turn it into much else. The trails are nice, but the area can be rather bleak with so few trees. And who knows, all those toxins from the landfill might create some neat plant growth... another tourism idea.

I'd like to see Assumption extended, but not to the causeway. I doubt the city or province would be willing to pay to build an interchange as complex as would be needed there. That traffic circle in its current configuration is barely capable of handling the four major roads that meet there as is. I'd sooner see Assumption continue roughly straight forward towards Main and meet up somewhere around Upton or Newton street.

I like the idea of an "urban forest". Additional parkland along the river I think would be quite attractive and would enhance the existing trail system. The landfill could never be used for traditional development purposes in any event (too many toxins and all that methane building up in the basements would not be a good thing). Green space is about all that it could be used for. Tastefully done, the urban forest concept would be great for the city.

I'm not really a fan of the golf course idea. There are already about 8 or 10 courses within a half hour of downtown now and I don't think we need any more; especially downtown.

Extending Assumption Boulevard is a good idea. I agree that it would help to alleviate the traffic situation on Main Street and should also divert traffic flow to the riverfront which in turn likely would help to stimulate growth in the downtown core south of Main street. If I recall the plans in the newspaper from a couple of years ago Myles, I think that the idea was that Assumption would form a "T" intersection with the causeway south of the existing traffic circle. Traffic pressure on the traffic circle thus would be diminished.

Finally; on a completely different topic. I found out this evening from a moderately reliable source (a friend who knows somebody in city hall) that Starbucks plans to build a standalone store in the Mapleton Power Centre.

Anyone want a grande low fat decaf double shot latte with extra foam?:D

mylesmalley
Jul 30, 2008, 3:38 AM
I like the idea of an "urban forest". Additional parkland along the river I think would be quite attractive and would enhance the existing trail system. The landfill could never be used for traditional development purposes in any event (too many toxins and all that methane building up in the basements would not be a good thing). Green space is about all that it could be used for. Tastefully done, the urban forest concept would be great for the city.

I'm not really a fan of the golf course idea. There are already about 8 or 10 courses within a half hour of downtown now and I don't think we need any more; especially downtown.

Extending Assumption Boulevard is a good idea. I agree that it would help to alleviate the traffic situation on Main Street and should also divert traffic flow to the riverfront which in turn likely would help to stimulate growth in the downtown core south of Main street. If I recall the plans in the newspaper from a couple of years ago Myles, I think that the idea was that Assumption would form a "T" intersection with the causeway south of the existing traffic circle. Traffic pressure on the traffic circle thus would be diminished.

Finally; on a completely different topic. I found out this evening from a moderately reliable source (a friend who knows somebody in city hall) that Starbucks plans to build a standalone store in the Mapleton Power Centre.

Anyone want a grande low fat decaf double shot latte with extra foam?:D

If I understand you correctly, I think they'd be crazy to put a controlled T intersection right near a roundabout. Every time you'd get a red light going across the causeway, traffic would back up on Main, Salisbury and Wheeler. That's kind of a moot point anyway. I can't see the city taking that on for years.

I think the biggest reason against it is, as you said, the land along the water towards the causeway is really not useable. Wouldn't be very practical to build a road that runs perfectly parallel to Main street, especially if there's nothing on it.

JasonL-Moncton
Jul 30, 2008, 12:15 PM
What I see them doing with assumption is extending it so that it connects with the 'new' bridge to Riverview that is replacing the causeway. This would make more sense, with and ability to either enter the bridge or exit onto wheeler blvd.
Take that damn useless roundabout out...whomever decided to build a traffic circle for 3 major road and a causeway at the bottom of three hills below sea level was a complete imbecile.

JL

mylesmalley
Jul 30, 2008, 12:57 PM
What I see them doing with assumption is extending it so that it connects with the 'new' bridge to Riverview that is replacing the causeway. This would make more sense, with and ability to either enter the bridge or exit onto wheeler blvd.
Take that damn useless roundabout out...whomever decided to build a traffic circle for 3 major road and a causeway at the bottom of three hills below sea level was a complete imbecile.

JL

I'm actually a big fan of roundabouts. They're relatively cheap, and can handle a lot of traffic. I think the causeway circle's big downfall is that it's just too small. If a dedicated lane going from wheeler to salisbury was installed, it would reduce a lot of congestion there at rush hour. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to narrow salisbury road to one lane just as it hits the circle ought to give their head a shake, too.

As for the sea-level thing... that certainly wasn't the brightest idea to come out of city hall. I can appreciate the predicament they're in though. To raise the circle, the tracks would need to be realigned or raised. They can't close the train tracks because that would cripple train traffic between saint john, halifax and montreal and would cost a fortune. Because they can't fix the tracks, they're limited by the fact that trucks need to be able to go under the bridges. So, long story short, they're screwed.

gehrhardt
Jul 30, 2008, 1:01 PM
I actually like the idea of having Assomption extended all the way to the causeway. That land is almost all former landfill and while the walking trails are nice, ultimately, you're walking on garbage. If an extended Assomption would run parallel to the railroad tracks, I think it would be great. The trails could continue closer to the river and there would be an alternate route away from Main st. The traffic there can get pretty bad.

As for connecting it to the causeway traffic circle, I think we can all agree that something needs to be done there anyway. It floods all the time. The traffic at rush hour is awful. The rail bridge is low and narrow. I could go on... A proper highway-style interchange at that point should take care of most of the problems. Even blocking off West Main st at the causeway, or having it connect strictly to the Salisbury rd or Baig Blvd might be an option and ease congestion.

The main traffic flow would be from Wheeler to Assomption with an interchange to go across the new bridge or causeway (or whatever) to Riverview. If main st and Salisbury road connected underneath this new interchange, it would make things a lot simpler. With an exit or two across the tracks to intersections on Main st (Mt. Royal and Milner, maybe?), I think it would work.

If done properly, it could turn into a "collector" road that circles the city core. If only there was some way to connect the existing end of Assomption (by the Marriott) up to the Dieppe traffic circle.

A small parking lot or official entrance to the waterfront area could be added to this new roadway as well. An entrance in the middle of that area would make it more accessible. Heck, put an "eco centre" for the Petitcodiac river there. That should attract a few tourists. :)

I'm no civil engineer, but I think it would be a good way to ease traffic on West Main st and at that crappy traffic circle. :)

As previously stated, none of my rambling matters, since the gov't will never foot the bill for all that. :rolleyes:

MonctonRad
Jul 30, 2008, 9:59 PM
I think we are stuck with the causeway traffic circle. The mere fact that the CNR mainline passes directly over the top of the traffic circle would likely make it impossible to correct this situation without spending million of dollars. I agree with MylesMalley; traffic circles and roundabouts can work quite well. They are very common in Great Britain. It's just that we are not used to them here in North America.

The main problem with the causeway traffic circle is that it floods during major rainstorms. This is because the drainage pipes below the causeway have long since silted up. This needs to be addressed. The cheapest solution is to build a proper pumping station, just like the pumping station they built for the new Vaughn Harvey underpass underneath the CNR mainline next to the Gunningsville Bridge. This project should be a major provincial priority.

I envision an extended Assumption Boulevard as a riverfront parkway similar to the Ottawa River Parkway in our nations capital. I don't know if many of the other forumers are familiar with this road but it is a four lane relatively low velocity (70 km/hr) express route into downtown Ottawa from the west. It is built through nicely manicured parkland along the banks of the Ottawa River and is a limited access highway with no adjacent development. It would nicely complement the "urban forest" idea of MylesMalley and would provide direct access to the downtown from the west.

A "T" intersection with the replacement bridge for the causeway should not be a problem. The plans I saw had this intersection at some distance from the existing traffic circle. I don't think congestion backing up onto the traffic circle would be a major problem.

mylesmalley
Jul 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
Construction begins on new Riverview seniors complex
Published Thursday July 31st, 2008

72-bed nursing home, 60-unit special care facility provide multiple levels of care on one site
A7
By John Pollack
Times & Transcript Staff

Greg Agnew/Times & Transcript
The $11-million Shannex nursing home, behind Royal Court Parkland Estates will open in August 2009.
But they won't be returning to any sort of post-secondary institution. On the contrary, they will be living in a retirement complex currently being built behind Royal Court Parkland Estates on Coverdale Road.

Yesterday marked the official launch of the complex that will incorporate the existing 122-unit seniors' apartments with a new 60-unit special care facility and 72-bed nursing home.

Many of the seniors already living at Royal Court are excited for the complex to open because it means when they need a higher level of care they won't have to go very far.

"We've got it right here," says Royal Court resident president Ray Gallant. "All we've got to do is wait until age overtakes us and then move on."

Minister of State for Seniors Eugene McGinley says this new facility will be a big help in what he called the nursing home crisis.

"(This) will help us address what has become an emergency situation in long-term care," he says.

The $11 million facility, due to open in August 2009, is being built and will be operated by the privately owned retirement living and senior care company Shannex. The company's head of operations is in Halifax, but they have created a New Brunswick branch as they are building similar facilities in both Fredericton and Quispamsis.

Shannex currently owns and operates six nursing homes and four retirement complexes, most of which are in Nova Scotia.

This is a five-year pilot project testing how well public-private partnerships work in delivering long-term care to seniors. Nursing homes in New Brunswick have traditionally been run by non-profit groups from which the government buys the services.

But Robert Duguay, communications officer for New Brunswick social development, says Shannex will provide the services cheaper than other nursing homes. On average, nursing homes currently cost $240 per senior per day of which the senior pays, to his or her ability, up to $70 a day. The province struck a deal with Shannex to provide the services for $213 a day.

Shannex is able to offer the senior care services cheaper in part because their campus-style complexes share necessary services like cooking and cleaning.

McGinley also commends Shannex for how fast they have moved forward with the project.

"We didn't have the luxury of waiting," says McGinley. "There is a crisis. We have to provide those beds for those waiting lists."

The complex is expected to be complete less than two years after it was announced, whereas most nursing homes take four years to complete.

The site has been cleared and construction has already begun.

The footing is already in place and plumbing will be installed soon.

Jason Shannon, chief operating officer for Shannex, has been largely responsible for Royal Court since his family company bought the retirement living facility 10 years ago. He says the residents have wanted this for some time now.

"Residents have been looking forward to this for a number of years," he says. "It gives them a great amount of relief to know that if they require more care down the road that there's more services in the location that they're living."

mylesmalley
Aug 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
From the CBC

Nova Scotia to allow double-trailer transports on province's highways

Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008 | 4:22 PM ET
Canadian Press: THE CANADIAN PRESS
HALIFAX - Nova Scotia will allow several transport companies to haul double trailers on the province's 100-series highways as part of a pilot project.

Transportation Minister Murray Scott says as many as six companies have shown an interest in using the longer trailers as they look for ways to save fuel and increase their competitiveness.

At the moment, the so-called long combination vehicles have to stop at the New Brunswick boundary with Nova Scotia.

Companies that take part in the pilot project will be subject to a number of restrictions that include staying off the road in heavy rain, sleet or snow.

Scott says drivers of the trucks must have five years' minimum experience and the speed of the vehicles will be limited to 90 km/h.

The trucks will only be allowed to enter the province through New Brunswick and travel on 100-series highways to Dartmouth's Burnside industrial park.

Scott says the restrictions are aimed at protecting public safety.

---

I think this is great, and something NB considers for Rts 1, 2, 15, and 95. Companies and government in this region seem to have a real hate on for railroads, so I guess this is a step in the right direction. I don't know if they still do, but Australia used to have massive truck trains with many trailers for hauling goods across the country's interior.

MonctonRad
Aug 1, 2008, 11:43 PM
Backstreet Boys tonight at the coliseum.....
The Eagles, KT Tunstall, John Fogarty & Sam Roberts tomorrow at Magnetic Hill.....
Avril Lavigne later this month at the coliseum &.....
Elton John next month at the coliseum!!!

Does it get any better than this?

Moncton; concert centre of the Maritimes!!!

Let's hope the rain gods stay away tomorrow.:drowning:

MonctonRad
Aug 2, 2008, 3:26 PM
A new pub is about to open in the former Sasha's location at 196 Robinson Ct.

Tatlock's AleHouse has a wide variety of beers, a full pub menu and invites customers to build their own sandwich during lunchtime.

The new pub is owned by Dean Pritchett and Darren Legacy. Tatlock's has a large outdoor patio and a private room available for meetings and private parties. The opening should be welcome news for former patrons of Sasha's, which closed around Christmas last year.

I believe this means that all the storefronts on Robinson Court will now be full. For those who don't know it, Robinson Court is a pedestrian only lane off of Main Street lined with restaurants, pubs and coffee shops. A very people friendly place.

Smevo
Aug 3, 2008, 12:44 AM
From the CBC

Nova Scotia to allow double-trailer transports on province's highways

Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008 | 4:22 PM ET
Canadian Press: THE CANADIAN PRESS
HALIFAX - Nova Scotia will allow several transport companies to haul double trailers on the province's 100-series highways as part of a pilot project.

Transportation Minister Murray Scott says as many as six companies have shown an interest in using the longer trailers as they look for ways to save fuel and increase their competitiveness.

At the moment, the so-called long combination vehicles have to stop at the New Brunswick boundary with Nova Scotia.

Companies that take part in the pilot project will be subject to a number of restrictions that include staying off the road in heavy rain, sleet or snow.

Scott says drivers of the trucks must have five years' minimum experience and the speed of the vehicles will be limited to 90 km/h.

The trucks will only be allowed to enter the province through New Brunswick and travel on 100-series highways to Dartmouth's Burnside industrial park.

Scott says the restrictions are aimed at protecting public safety.

---

I think this is great, and something NB considers for Rts 1, 2, 15, and 95. Companies and government in this region seem to have a real hate on for railroads, so I guess this is a step in the right direction. I don't know if they still do, but Australia used to have massive truck trains with many trailers for hauling goods across the country's interior.

"At the moment, the so-called long combination vehicles have to stop at the New Brunswick boundary with Nova Scotia.

The trucks will only be allowed to enter the province through New Brunswick and travel on 100-series highways to Dartmouth's Burnside industrial park."

They can't come in yet and are restricted to going to Dartmouth...that's funny since I've already seen a couple (at the end of June travelling the 105 in Cape Breton). Considering the number of scale stations they have to pass, I guess the people enforcing the rule didn't realise they weren't allowed yet. :shrug:

I agree though, they are a good idea, but could make the untwinned sections a little more dangerous. They should have to have a warning about their length on the back...the ones I saw didn't even though I've seen the warnings on the trucks travelling through NB.

mmmatt
Aug 3, 2008, 5:10 PM
The Eagles were AWESOME! Ill post pictures soon...

My favorite part was at the beginning, the lead singer was like "welcome to the biggest city in New Brunswick!" and the crowd went wild :)

mylesmalley
Aug 3, 2008, 5:52 PM
The show was incredible. The only problem was getting out of there...
The city seems to put all it's effort onto the arrival part, and forget about how everyone's supposed to get out.

Thank god it didn't rain, either...

man, i love hotel california...

kwajo
Aug 4, 2008, 1:25 AM
In the spirit of togetherness, from a Saint Johner to all of you Monctonians, I'd like to wish all my fellow New Brunswickers a Happy New Brunswick Day! May the coming years bring us all a renewed sense of provincial pride, and let's all work together to ensure that NB not only weathers the global economic storm, but rises above it as well!

Cheers! :)

SJTOKO
Aug 4, 2008, 3:04 PM
Happy NB day Moncton!!!!!

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 5, 2008, 12:40 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/2726595129_218be08892_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2729976336_de064dce23_b.jpg

The Eagles! :)

Jason

ErickMontreal
Aug 5, 2008, 1:52 PM
Retails growth in Metro tops in Atlantic Canada
Published Tuesday August 5th, 2008
A1
BY NICK MOORE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

For years, shoppers have seen Metro Moncton as the retail hub of Atlantic Canada.

And the numbers back up the anecdotal evidence, showing that Metro is the go-to place for Atlantic Canadian shoppers on a mission -- and it looks like even more growth is in store.

"We are the retail hub of Atlantic Canada and that's how we're positioning ourselves," says Eric Pelletier of Enterprise Greater Moncton.

Part of Pelletier's job is attracting corporate investment to the area by encouraging companies to expand or relocate here. Pursuing leads and building relationships with potential clients is made easier, says Pelletier, when statistics already put Moncton ahead of its regional counterparts in the retail bracket.

According to the Retail Market Rating Index for 2008 (which indicates consumer buying power), Metro Moncton comes out on top when compared to all other metropolitan areas in Atlantic Canada.

It's estimated Metro's retail sales will be 32 per cent above the national average this year (besting Saint John with sales expected to be 14 per cent below the national average and Halifax with sales expected to be eight per cent above the national average).

And estimations about the retail sector and its future in the Moncton area show even more growth.

Metro Moncton is expected to see its retail sales grow by almost 25 per cent over the next five years -- the most in Atlantic Canada. Retail sales are estimated to reach upwards of $2.2 billion this year alone, about $45 million more than the estimate for 2007.

"The numbers are definitely going up each year and with the addition of retail offerings we don't foresee any slow down," says Pelletier.

Even in the wake of Nova Scotia altering its Sunday shopping laws to allow businesses to open on the traditional day of rest (something seen as a strong advantage to this area's retail numbers back when Nova Scotia businesses were forced to remain closed), Greater Moncton is still holding its own.

But even with encouraging news like this, Pelletier isn't about to rest on his laurels. He says competition for the retail dollar is a fierce as ever before.

"Where 15, 10 years ago you didn't have that many Wal-Marts in New Brunswick... all these smaller communities across New Brunswick are getting Wal-Marts," he says. "So we need to stay on our toes and make sure we attract unique retailers to the region to make sure we keep bringing in people to shop here."

Metro Moncton is already home to some of these unique retail offerings, hosting New Brunswick's only Costco, The Bay, Eddie Bauer, Princess Auto, The Shoe Company, Bowring, Mexx,Tommy Hilfiger, Virgin Mobile and Feetfirst amongst others. And even more stores are waiting in the wings.

"Looking around you can see we have a lot of retail development under way," says Pelletier. "All together we're probably looking at around $50 million in retail construction this year alone."

Champlain Place in Dieppe has been a jewel in Metro Moncton's shopping crown for 32 years, attracting more than 10 million customers annually from all over New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, the Gaspé Peninsula and the northern New England states. Now the shopping centre is in the midst of a $14-million renovation to update its look and 'shopping experience.'

Electronic retail giant Best Buy, the big-box home fashions store Linens 'n' Things and The Brick furniture store are all expected to set up shop near the northeast corner of Mapleton Road and Trinity Drive soon.

The area near the Trinity Drive Power Centre is emerging as a brand new shopping brand -- the Mapleton Power Centre.

Meanwhile, Dieppe and Riverview have their own retail irons in the fire with development of the Uptown Dieppe Lifestyle Centre, expected to be a mix of housing, recreational, and high-end retail outlets, and the Riverview Retail Centre, which has an ideal retail location near the Gunningsville Bridge.

ErickMontreal
Aug 6, 2008, 5:01 AM
Permits for $4.8 million in July

Dieppe – The City of Dieppe delivered $ 4.8 million in construction permits during the month of July according to statistics released by the city’s inspection department.

Within that period, the city approved 87 construction permits for $2 million in the single family, $875 000 in the multiple dwelling and $1.4 million in the commercial sector.

Since January, the city authorized 432 construction permits, creating 225 units, for values of more than $46.6 million. The total at the same period last year was $38.5 million.

ErickMontreal
Aug 6, 2008, 3:09 PM
Courthouse delays hamper development: mayor
Other projects up in air until gov't picks site for building

Published Wednesday August 6th, 2008
A9
by Adam Huras

Delays in the decision as to where Moncton's new courthouse will be built is stalling city plans to act on new landmark developments, according to the mayor.

George LeBlanc says he is talking to developers on almost a daily basis, but until he knows where a government-promised courthouse will go, he can't build around it.

The mayor says a new convention facility or metro centre hangs in the balance.

"We need to know what the government is going to do here," said LeBlanc.

The provincial announcement is now slated for the end of August, the latest in a long history of delays.

Prime downtown real estate sits on the corner of Assomption Boulevard and Westmorland Street, just south of the city's main street and north of the Petitcodiac River.

Known as the former Beaver Lumber property, it is one of the proposed sites for the courthouse, but to LeBlanc it will be home to something iconic to Moncton regardless if the justice facility finds a home there or not.

"When it comes to the Beaver Lumber property, well we need to know if it's there or not," said LeBlanc. "If it is, fine. Then we move forward from that standpoint. If it's not, that land opens up again for development."

LeBlanc says he has plans for Moncton to go vertical, with high-rise towers that will combine commercial developments of boutiques and shops with entertainment complexes as well as some residential buildings.

"If you look at the big picture you're going to see a lot of asphalt and parking lots," said LeBlanc of the city's current downtown.

"The most successful, vibrant downtowns aren't built that way."

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 6, 2008, 4:13 PM
LeBlanc says he has plans for Moncton to go vertical, with high-rise towers that will combine commercial developments of boutiques and shops with entertainment complexes as well as some residential buildings.

I'm really glad this guy got voted in...he's so much more progressive than the last few Mayors we've had.

ErickMontreal
Aug 6, 2008, 4:50 PM
I'm really glad this guy got voted in...he's so much more progressive than the last few Mayors we've had.

You`re right. I think he really understands Downtown needs to increase density in order to enhance both attractiveness and viabilty of the area. To me ,obviously, highrise towers could be part of the solutions to properly solve the problem in a efficient manner.

I think we could get a great masterplan of what we could see popping up out there in couple months or so.

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2008, 5:31 PM
"At the moment, the so-called long combination vehicles have to stop at the New Brunswick boundary with Nova Scotia.

The trucks will only be allowed to enter the province through New Brunswick and travel on 100-series highways to Dartmouth's Burnside industrial park."

I agree though, they are a good idea, but could make the untwinned sections a little more dangerous. They should have to have a warning about their length on the back...the ones I saw didn't even though I've seen the warnings on the trucks travelling through NB.

I think they will only be allowed into Dartmouth because of three reasons;
-close to Hali
-they are building a inland terminal kind of thing.
-and the path to the proposed park is twinned.

Maybe when more highways are twinned they might let them on to them.

ErickMontreal
Aug 6, 2008, 5:57 PM
Moncton's LeBlanc open to area's amalgamation

A5
Adam Huras
Telegraph-Journal

MONCTON - The mayor of Moncton says he supports amalgamating the city with Dieppe and Riverview to form a municipal powerhouse in the province - if his neighbours want it to happen.

George LeBlanc sees the move as a step toward the creation of a competitive regional force.

Riverview's Mayor Clarence Sweetland says, thanks, but they're not interested.

"If Riverview and Dieppe wanted to partner with the city and make one community, I would certainly not be against it," says LeBlanc. "There is a good case to be made for one large community here."

His comments are not meant to offend his sister communities, LeBlanc says.

"It would make us more competitive and I think it would make us a bigger player in the region," he says. "There certainly is a good argument to be made for a regional approach to things."

The Moncton mayor says the issue is something he wanted to tread lightly on.

"It's not a hot issue, it's a dead issue," says Sweetland. "There is no appetite whatsoever for any thoughts of amalgamation. The word has been a dead issue for years now and we don't expect to see it rise again."

Sweetland says Riverview is perfectly happy as the largest town in New Brunswick and, while he understands the City of Moncton's views, there's no interest in combining the area's three municipalities.

"It sounds like a gracious statement on his part," he says. "If we wanted to amalgamate he would be prepared to work for this and be part of a greater city. Maybe Moncton sees a greater population, maybe they see a greater tax base.

"But in Riverview in particular, people are very satisfied with the town, the way it's been run, and the services provided."

The province's self-sufficiency task force endorses the collaboration of municipalities to create governments that serve substantially more citizens and contain a larger tax base.

"Fragmentation limits the ability to offer quality services and to apportion the costs fairly," reads the task force report. "It also leads to a lack of common perspective and purpose that can lead to unhelpful competition between municipal bodies in a single urban region."

The report also says there are additional costs to the taxpayer to maintain these municipal structures.

David Bruce, professor and director of the Rural and Small Town Programme at Mount Allison University, sees both the positives and negatives of amalgamation.

"For example if you have three separate water departments or five separate fire departments you may be able to distribute the costs over a larger number of taxpayers and reduce administration to a certain extent," says Bruce.

He says positives would come in the form of eliminating overlap or duplication with the goal to try to create better efficiency, while also creating the ability to distribute goods and services over a larger area.

He added that standardization of levels of service can also be obtained through amalgamation.

Reasons against amalgamation include the real or perceived loss of identity, according to Bruce.

"I am very sensitive to the fact that Dieppe has its own identity," says LeBlanc. "And I think that in order for there to be any consideration of this, there has to be a desire all the way around to do it.

"Whether that's amalgamation or some other form of regionalization I'll let other people decide that."

Dieppe Mayor Jean LeBlanc was unavailable for comment.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mayor pushes for decision on new Moncton courthouse
A5

Adam Huras
Telegraph-Journal

MONCTON - Delays in deciding where Moncton's new courthouse will be built are stalling city plans to act on new landmark developments, according to the
George LeBlanc says he is talking to developers on an almost daily basis but until he knows where a courthouse promised by the province will go, he can't build around it.

The mayor says the location of a new convention facility or metro centre hangs in the balance.

"We need to know what the government is going to do here," says LeBlanc.

The provincial announcement is now slated for the end of August, the latest in a series of delays.

Prime downtown real estate sits on the corner of Assomption Boulevard and Westmorland Street, just south of the city's main street and north of the Petitcodiac River.

The former Beaver Lumber property is one of the proposed sites for the courthouse, but to LeBlanc it will be home to something iconic to Moncton whether the justice facility finds a home there or not.

"When it comes to the Beaver Lumber property, well, we need to know if it's there or not," says LeBlanc. "If it is, fine. Then we move forward from that standpoint. If it's not, that land opens up again for development."

LeBlanc says he has plans for Moncton to go vertical, with high rise towers that combine commercial developments of boutiques and shops with entertainment complexes and resident buildings.

"If you look at the big picture, you're going to see a lot of asphalt and parking lots," says LeBlanc of the current downtown.

"The most successful, vibrant downtowns aren't built that way."

LeBlanc already has plans.

"From my standpoint, it would be an integrated development, but it would possibly hold a new coliseum development," he says.

"But not just that, it would also include meeting and convention facilities, entertainment and recreation facilities and, hopefully, some commercial (development) as well."

The mayor says council will soon put out a tender on a feasibility study for a new civic centre.

The idea of a new courthouse was sparked by the former provincial Conservative government in 2005 when a sod-turning was held for the facility at the corner of Assomption and Westmorland.

Last year, the current Liberal government picked up the idea, seeking a public-private partnership under which a private developer would build, own and operate the facility and lease it to the province.

A deadline was set for early July, then moved to late July and then extended another month.

The province had little to say about the delays, other than it was requested by the four selected developers.

"We are being as accommodating as possible to ensure we get a solid proposal for the new courthouse. It's important to get the project right," says Judy Cole, spokeswoman for the Department of Supply and Services.

Cole says the government could not comment on discussions that take place with the developers.

The location of the new courthouse and the private-sector partner will be announced in the fall. Construction is slated to begin this year.

The completion date for the courthouse remains scheduled for September 2010.

The building will house 15 courtrooms and court staff as well as sheriff services, victim services, probation services, family support services, Crown prosecutors and a law library.

MonctonRad
Aug 6, 2008, 8:51 PM

Sounds to me like George has the "vision thing". He was an excellent choice for mayor. My gut feeling is that he will be quite aggressive about attracting investment to Moncton.

Let's all hope that the Justice Complex will not be built on the Beaver Lumber site. If it goes somewhere else (like the site of the present Subaru dealership), this will free up the Beaver Lumber site for a substantial development, like a downtown arena/convention centre with an adjacent commercial/residential mix. If a couple of new towers could be built in that area, it would make Assumption Place look less like a giant phallus in downtown Moncton.:D

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 7, 2008, 12:31 PM
It's interesting that GL brought up amalgamation, I think perhaps that ship has sailed when Dieppe gained it's city status, but perhaps he knows something we don't.

I agree that having three municipal governments and services is a total waste of tax payer funds...the government of Riverview says the townspeople want the status quo but if they could be shown how much tax money is wasted on three governments and how efficient one government would be for the three communities in 'Moncton' with 'suburbs' of Riverview and Dieppe...they (the people) might change their tune.

We already have one police force, Codiac, based in Moncton. We have two hospital's, in Moncton. Bus service, Moncton....and much more, but there should be more combining of services and government in my opinion.

Go George!

Jason

PS> I just mentioned it to two co-workers who live in Riverview...they freaked and said they'd rather build a wall at the end of the bridge than join with Moncton and Dieppe. They started bitching about how their roads are always plowed in winter and our aren't etc, etc...wow.

ErickMontreal
Aug 7, 2008, 3:38 PM
Hampton Inn ready to open
120 rooms will be ready for guests on Tuesday, another seven in a few weeks

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=166753&size=500x0

Published Thursday August 7th, 2008
C2
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The Hampton Inn & Suites, located off Highway 2 (the Trans-Canada Highway) near Northwood and Mapleton Roads, will officially open its doors Tuesday. The building's exterior is finished and general manager Pascal Pisegna said finishing touches are being made inside.

"After the contractors blow through, we have to do a lot of cleaning," said Pisegna.

A staff of about 40 is also preparing to welcome the inn's very first guests.

"They're getting geared up," said Pisegna. "They've had about four to five weeks in this building and they've been phenomenal in their training."

Last summer, the inn made a request to City Hall to see if the building could be built higher than what was originally planned for. Originally, it was to house 96 guest rooms. The request to build higher was approved and now a total of 120 rooms will be ready for guests next week. Seven rooms are still under construction and will be added to the mix in a few weeks.

Each room includes a flat screen television and refrigerator. Jacuzzi's are featured in six of the suites. A pool and twirling waterslide (16 feet high) will also be amenities inside the inn, but will still be under construction for a few more weeks.

Pisegna said the inn's location close to Highway 2's on and off ramp will be great for their business.

"It will attract all kinds of clients for us," he said making reference to business and leisure travellers.

Rates for a night's stay at the new Hampton Inn will vary between $125 (for a room with two queen beds) and $220 (for a king size bed in a suite).

Moncton's Hampton Inn & Suites will be the second New Brunswick location in the chain; the Saint John location opened late last year.

MonctonRad
Aug 7, 2008, 9:59 PM
Commission's approval needed before $90M project can move ahead

By Aloma Jardine
Times & Transcript Staff

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=166756&size=800x0

Tonight will be a big night for Casino New Brunswick.

If all goes well for the proponents, the meeting should yield more or less the final site plan for the casino.

Details of the $90-million project were announced in July.

The casino is to be built on a 44-acre (18-hectare) piece of land located off Mountain Road between Sunshine Drive and Charles Lutes Road in the Magnetic Hill area.

The main entrance to the site will be between the Petro-Canada station and the Amsterdam Inn.

The site design as it now stands includes three buildings linked by enclosed walkways -- one housing a 128-room hotel, one the casino, and one what the proponents call the Palladium, with convention centre and entertainment space for up to 1,500 people. The buildings run roughly perpendicular to Mountain Road with the hotel located closest to Mountain Road and the casino furthest away, the Palladium in the middle.

The casino has taken on a lighthouse theme and will include a lighthouse built into the centre of the casino portion of the building.

One of the three items before the planning commission for approval is a request to allow more than one main building on the site, as well as to allow more than two driveway openings and the construction of a building of more than 4,700 square metres (50,590 square feet).

Another item deals with several variances requested by Sonco Gaming New Brunswick Ltd., the company selected by the province to build the casino, such as exceeding the maximum width for entrances and exits and the maximum building height.

The third item up for approval will no doubt generate the most discussion at the public meeting.

"There is a subdivision application which essentially creates a new street system into the land to provide access to the hotel and casino and Palladium development," says Bill Budd, executive director of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission. "The subdivision also creates lands for public purposes -- basically a buffer area they are proposing to provide behind a number of residential properties along Sunshine Drive and Ryan Road."

Plans as they were presented in July included a secondary access to the property by extending Muirfield Drive.

Residents of the area appeared before Moncton City Council on July 21 to express their displeasure with the plan and the 18-metre (59-foot) buffer zone.

Residents were concerned the access road would cause increased traffic through the residential neighbourhood and were hoping a wider buffer could be built.

For safety reasons, the site requires as secondary access, but council was sympathetic to residents' concerns and suggested the developer come forward with another option.

Even if the Muirfield connection is approved by the planning commission, it must still come before council for approval at its Aug. 18 meeting.

When details of the casino were unveiled in July, Sonco said it hoped to begin construction at the end of August. Casino New Brunswick spokesman Jim Warren says construction timelines will depend on when final decisions are made by the planning commission and city council.

"People have to make decisions and we have to let them make those decisions in due course," he says. "I think the timeline is to go (tonight) and see what happens."

If approval is granted by the planning commission, city council approval on any secondary access would be the final hurdle before construction could begin.

The casino is expected to open in the spring of 2010.

It will include 600 slot machines, 20 table games, and eight poker tables. Games will include most casino standards such as roulette, blackjack, mini baccarat, wheel of fortune, and craps.

MonctonRad
Aug 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
Mayor hopes to have decision from province by end of month

By Aloma Jardine
Times & Transcript Staff

A string of delays on choosing a location and developer to build Moncton's new courthouse isn't hampering any of the City of Moncton's plans -- yet.

However, the delay is causing some frustration for those who are waiting on the details of the project to determine how to proceed with their own plans.

"We don't like to say the word 'frustrated' but we would like to see the decision more promptly. It would certainly help us," says Daniel Allain, executive director of Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc. "Day after day I speak to restauranteurs and people that have businesses and the absence of a decision certainly has an impact on builders and developers. If there is a spinoff to be made -- and there will be -- they want to be part of it."

But until a decision is made on where exactly the justice complex will be, it is impossible for anyone to build their plans around it.

"Once we know that little piece, then we can work on other pieces," Allain says. "Once we know where that justice facility will be, don't you think building owners around the facility will want to take advantage of what is going on?"

Allain uses the coming Moncton casino as an example.

Although the casino is not being built downtown as Downtown Moncton had hoped, now that everyone does know where it is going, downtown has been able to regroup and start building connections with Magnetic Hill so the downtown area still benefits from the project.

A decision on a location for the justice centre has been delayed several times. Four developers were invited to submit proposals and bids were originally supposed to be submitted by June 27.

That closing date was subsequently pushed back to July 24 and then to the end of August.

Possible locations include a lot on Main Street as well as the Beaver Lumber property on the corner of Assomption Boulevard and Westmorland Avenue, the site originally designated for the facility.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc says the ultimate decision on where the courthouse will be built will have a huge impact on how the city will proceed with developing downtown Moncton.

Either the Beaver Lumber property will be freed up for another significant development or the city will have to look at other locations to build something like a metro centre, one of the potential big projects the city is looking at bringing downtown.

LeBlanc says one of his goals is to take a good hard look at the Beaver Lumber property this term and try to nail down a purpose for it.

"There are all kinds of options," he says. "I wouldn't want to say that a metro centre is the only option, but it is up for consideration. I would think that if the justice facility does not go downtown, (the Beaver Lumber property) is one of the properties that would be up for consideration. From my standpoint I would like to start fresh and see what are the possibilities down there. All the options are on the table."

Whatever does eventually go on the site, LeBlanc says it should be a "significant development that is going to contribute to our downtown."

The repeated delays don't have LeBlanc questioning the province's commitment to the justice centre project. He says he's looking forward to hearing the province's decision at the end of the month.

"Obviously we would like to see the justice facility proceed and we believe it is going to proceed," he says. "I'm delighted to see that this is getting closer to a decision . . . I don't have any knowledge of the reasons for the delay, but I believe the province is very interested in seeing a justice facility. I think it will be a great project for Moncton."

The Department of Supply and Services did not respond to a request to speak with Minister Jack Keir yesterday and a department spokesperson said only that nothing has changed since the delay of the closing date for bids was announced at the end of July.

MonctonRad
Aug 8, 2008, 12:34 AM
I took a slightly different route home from work this evening and made several observations:

(1) - There is definitely activity going on at the site of the Mapleton Power Centre. There is now a construction trailer on site and it looks like final site preparation prior to construction is underway.

(2) - The curbing for the centre median is being laid for Mapleton Road north of Wheeler Blvd. It will be impressive when Mapleton becomes a full boulevard all the way out to the Trans Canada Highway!

(3) - They are definitely doing site preparation for the remainder of the development where the Hampton Inn has been built at the corner of Mapleton and the TCH. I don't know what the final plans for that area are but in the original conceptual drawings, the area was to be developed as a "highway commercial zone" with possibly a service centre, retail strip and a restaurant.

Another five years and that section of the city will be unrecognizable!

:tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 8, 2008, 2:56 PM
I took a slightly different route home from work this evening and made several observations:

(1) - There is definitely activity going on at the site of the Mapleton Power Centre. There is now a construction trailer on site and it looks like final site preparation prior to construction is underway.

(2) - The curbing for the centre median is being laid for Mapleton Road north of Wheeler Blvd. It will be impressive when Mapleton becomes a full boulevard all the way out to the Trans Canada Highway!

(3) - They are definitely doing site preparation for the remainder of the development where the Hampton Inn has been built at the corner of Mapleton and the TCH. I don't know what the final plans for that area are but in the original conceptual drawings, the area was to be developed as a "highway commercial zone" with possibly a service centre, retail strip and a restaurant.

Another five years and that section of the city will be unrecognizable!

:tup:

I drive past the Mapleton area every morning on Wheeler and it appears they have been laying 'piping' and culverts and such for about a week now...construction will be beginning soon by the look of it.

The 'steel' is already up for the new St. Hubert in front of Home Depot, and the 'billboard' picture in front shows what is going to be a 'really' nice building when it's done.

Another five years MR?...it's almost unrecognizable now!

ErickMontreal
Aug 8, 2008, 3:10 PM
New building breaks ground
Three-storey office building latest sign of progress in western part of downtown

Published Friday August 8th, 2008
A7
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

The ground was broken for a new three-storey office building on Weldon Street Tuesday, the latest bit of welcome in-fill and urban renewal for the downtown west of the subway.

The 60,000 square foot (5,400 sq. metre) building will sit on what is currently an expanse of parking lot in behind the former Tim Hortons at Weldon and Main.

The building will also be very near the back entrance of the Government of Canada federal building at 1081 Main St., which has been the motivator for the private development going ahead, according to Daniel Allain of Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Inc.

Roughly 40 per cent of the building will be occupied by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which has outgrown its space at 1081 Main St. According to CFIA spokesman Etienne Chiasson, the agency is currently housing overflow employees temporarily in the Highfield Square complex.

The building is being constructed by South Willow Development Ltd., a Nova Scotia firm. It is designed by Jost Architects of Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.

Documents from the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission show the building as a rectangle with the long facade facing west onto Weldon. The commission approved the plans, which include an exterior clad in materials similar to those used in the attractive recent restoration of the decrepit former Headstart building on John Street.

Allain said the new development is just the latest good news in the evolution of the western end of downtown. Just behind the new project is an Elm Street restoration about to become downtown condominiums. That project saw the gutting and complete rebuilding of what had been a vacant eyesore and flophouse for drug users.

"A lot of security problems we talk about in our downtown security roundtables have been improved by development," Allain said.

A similar restoration at the corner of Weldon and Gordon has also filled a vacant property that had been used for undesirable uses in the past. The building has been renovated and now houses condos and the offices of SIDA/AIDS Moncton.

Meanwhile, on St. George Street between Highfield and Weldon, a new apartment building featuring an attractive facade of stone and wood is well under way. Allain said all three of these residential projects are signs of the times.

"With the price of gas, people want to live downtown again." With increased eyes on the street, bringing new residents into the city centre is also expected to reduce crime.

As well, Allain pointed to the St. George Street project, next to Shoppers Drug Mart, as a sign of how civic thinking and developer thinking have evolved.

The same developer was responsible for the Ariane apartment building on St. George at Bonaccord four years ago. While the Ariane is a perfectly fine design for some parts of the city, some have criticized its vinyl siding as inappropriate for the downtown zone.

"It was four years ago. It slipped through the planning commission before the days of Bill Budd and Tim Moerman," Allain said. (The executive director of the commission and one of its planning officers are often credited with being a key part of the push for better urban design standards in the city).

The Ariane was also built before the creation of a downtown development vision in 2006, something Allain said has helped developers focus on what the city wants from them as far as design standards go.

Allain argues the activity in this western part of downtown within the newly expanded boundaries of the business improvement area is yet another sign of the impact the Vaughan Harvey Boulevard extension has had. He said his office is now getting "five to 10 serious inquiries every week" from developers interested in the area.

Ben Champoux, the City of Moncton's business development specialist, last week described a similar situation at his office. He cited the construction of a casino complex and a sports stadium, as well as plans to host international curling and track events, not to mention the hosting of large outdoor music events as all part of raising Moncton's profile.

Champoux said his guesses at the causes of widespread interest in Moncton were admittedly not scientific, "but whatever the reason, we're getting more calls from farther away than ever before."

60 000 S/F is roughly the same size than BMO Bank building along Main which has 6-story. Therefore, it will become another flat building. I guess its better than nothing.

MonctonRad
Aug 8, 2008, 8:48 PM
New building breaks ground
Three-storey office building latest sign of progress in western part of downtown

Published Friday August 8th, 2008
A7
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

The ground was broken for a new three-storey office building on Weldon Street Tuesday, the latest bit of welcome in-fill and urban renewal for the downtown west of the subway.

The 60,000 square foot (5,400 sq. metre) building will sit on what is currently an expanse of parking lot in behind the former Tim Hortons at Weldon and Main.

The building will also be very near the back entrance of the Government of Canada federal building at 1081 Main St., which has been the motivator for the private development going ahead, according to Daniel Allain of Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Inc.

Roughly 40 per cent of the building will be occupied by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which has outgrown its space at 1081 Main St. According to CFIA spokesman Etienne Chiasson, the agency is currently housing overflow employees temporarily in the Highfield Square complex.

The building is being constructed by South Willow Development Ltd., a Nova Scotia firm. It is designed by Jost Architects of Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.

Documents from the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission show the building as a rectangle with the long facade facing west onto Weldon. The commission approved the plans, which include an exterior clad in materials similar to those used in the attractive recent restoration of the decrepit former Headstart building on John Street.

Allain said the new development is just the latest good news in the evolution of the western end of downtown. Just behind the new project is an Elm Street restoration about to become downtown condominiums. That project saw the gutting and complete rebuilding of what had been a vacant eyesore and flophouse for drug users.

"A lot of security problems we talk about in our downtown security roundtables have been improved by development," Allain said.

A similar restoration at the corner of Weldon and Gordon has also filled a vacant property that had been used for undesirable uses in the past. The building has been renovated and now houses condos and the offices of SIDA/AIDS Moncton.

Meanwhile, on St. George Street between Highfield and Weldon, a new apartment building featuring an attractive facade of stone and wood is well under way. Allain said all three of these residential projects are signs of the times.

"With the price of gas, people want to live downtown again." With increased eyes on the street, bringing new residents into the city centre is also expected to reduce crime.

As well, Allain pointed to the St. George Street project, next to Shoppers Drug Mart, as a sign of how civic thinking and developer thinking have evolved.

The same developer was responsible for the Ariane apartment building on St. George at Bonaccord four years ago. While the Ariane is a perfectly fine design for some parts of the city, some have criticized its vinyl siding as inappropriate for the downtown zone.

"It was four years ago. It slipped through the planning commission before the days of Bill Budd and Tim Moerman," Allain said. (The executive director of the commission and one of its planning officers are often credited with being a key part of the push for better urban design standards in the city).

The Ariane was also built before the creation of a downtown development vision in 2006, something Allain said has helped developers focus on what the city wants from them as far as design standards go.

Allain argues the activity in this western part of downtown within the newly expanded boundaries of the business improvement area is yet another sign of the impact the Vaughan Harvey Boulevard extension has had. He said his office is now getting "five to 10 serious inquiries every week" from developers interested in the area.

Ben Champoux, the City of Moncton's business development specialist, last week described a similar situation at his office. He cited the construction of a casino complex and a sports stadium, as well as plans to host international curling and track events, not to mention the hosting of large outdoor music events as all part of raising Moncton's profile.

Champoux said his guesses at the causes of widespread interest in Moncton were admittedly not scientific, "but whatever the reason, we're getting more calls from farther away than ever before."

60 000 S/F is roughly the same size than BMO Bank building along Main which has 6-story. Therefore, it will become another flat building. I guess its better than nothing.

It's supposed to be three stories tall I guess. Kinda short, but still, it's nice to have some new urban infill. BTW, where did this building come from? I had no idea that it was even in the planning stage. It's kinda a surprise!

ErickMontreal
Aug 8, 2008, 9:27 PM
It's supposed to be three stories tall I guess. Kinda short, but still, it's nice to have some new urban infill. BTW, where did this building come from? I had no idea that it was even in the planning stage. It's kinda a surprise!

Yeah, you`re right, it going to be a nice infill notwithstanding the height of it, its great to see a parking lot being developed.

I found out a rendering of a building with the same height, along with the same square footage as well as the same form (rectangular), that could help out to get a idea.

http://twgi.com/images/picMcKinneyExtRendCLarge.jpg

ErickMontreal
Aug 8, 2008, 9:35 PM
The commission approved the plans, which include an exterior clad in materials similar to those used in the attractive recent restoration of the decrepit former Headstart building on John Street.

Here`s the building on John street they pointed out :

http://www.mid.nb.ca/media_uploads/JPG/2324.JPG

ErickMontreal
Aug 9, 2008, 2:19 PM
CFL wants to discuss future in Moncton

Canadaeast news service
Published Saturday August 9th, 2008
Mayor plans to call league to discuss expansion options
A13

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League says the climate is right for expansion, and he looks forward to a call from Moncton's mayor to discuss it.

It's just a matter of finding a city with a stadium and a strong local financial backer to intrigue the league to Atlantic Canada, says Mark Cohon.

According to Moncton North MLA Mike Murphy, the Hub City has a stadium coming, it knows the financial resources are there, and the time is now right for the city to again push for a team.

The mayor of Moncton says he has plans to give Cohon a call.

"I think there is an argument to be made that a CFL team can be successful here," said George LeBlanc. "I will be taking the opportunity sometime down the road to talk to these folks and see if there is an opportunity for that here in Moncton."

Cohon says the league is in a position to look at expansion with last year's average stadium attendance reaching its highest since 1983. Television ratings are up 19 per cent so far this season.

"We are now going to start really thinking about what are the new opportunities for the league and expansion is definitely on our agenda and is something we need to explore," said Cohon. "I am looking forward to the mayor calling me."

The CFL last tested the waters for possible expansion into the Maritimes in 2005 with an exhibition game held in Halifax.

At that time, former commissioner Tom Wright was looking at the feasibility of adding a 10th CFL franchise by 2008, but only if a 25,000-seat stadium was in place and the league was convinced private financial backers were in place.

The dream died when financial instability hit other teams in the league in 2006 which culminated in the indefinite suspension of the Ottawa Renegades.

In March of this year the CFL granted an expansion team back to the nation's capital which will see a team return either in 2010 or 2011.

Cohon says the addition of a 10th team is again a possibility but only to a city with a stadium and the right local ownership.

"Those are the two key components that we have to find and if the mayor is interested in talking to me about those fronts I would be happy to talk to him," he said. "We are starting to think about what are the parameters of whether it's Moncton, whether it's Halifax or Quebec City, what would have to go into it."

An advocate for a team in 2005, Murphy believes Moncton is the only Atlantic Canada city where a team could be feasible noting its geographical location in the centre of the Maritime provinces.

He also said the reasons why a bid fell apart in 2005 is no longer a problem.

"When we had talks in 2005 there was no stadium, now there is going to be a stadium and we have proven as a city we can attract crowds," said Murphy. "It's all there now, there's just no reason not to do it."

April's announcement to expand the plans for an outdoor arena set to welcome the World Junior Championships in track and field in 2010 will bring a stadium with a capacity of up to 20,000 spectators to the Université de Moncton.

Cohon said that stadium comes close to the 25,000 attendance needed for a CFL franchise to succeed.

It now has Murphy calling for the city to take charge to find financial backers and create the business plan to entice a league which is visible everywhere else in the country except Atlantic Canada.

"Who can step up to the plate and tell me it can't be done?" said Murphy. "It's not massive money. This is not the NFL."

The CFL began enforcing a salary cap of $4.05 million per team in 2007, a year after expanding active rosters to 42 players. The league minimum salary is $39,000.

Murphy said the economic viability is there, as he was approached by business with interest in sponsorship in 2005.

Mapleton project on schedule

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=167681&size=0x400
Crews work putting in curb and gutter on Mapleton Road below Trinity Drive this week. Work on the road is expected to wrap up this fall.

A7
by dwayne tingley
times & transcript staff

Not so long ago, Mapleton Road was a seldom-used gravel road that a handful of north end Monctonians used as a shortcut to the Trans-Canada Highway. Children discovered it was the steepest hill with next to no traffic they could find so they used it for daredevil tobogganing during the winter and hell-bent bicycle races in the summer.

These days, it has become a major gateway into one of Moncton's busiest shopping districts and by the end of September Mapleton Road will be five traffic lanes wide with bicycle lanes and sidewalks on each side, ready for more stores and development.

Marc Robichaud, a project engineer with Moncton's engineering and environmental services department, says the Mapleton Road widening project is going well and crews are aiming for their end of September deadline to have the work completed.

"Most of the current work, such as the excavating, isn't greatly impacted by rainy weather," he says.

"Some types of work, like asphalting, are more difficult to accomplish in wet weather. The current rain is quite typical and is expected on projects with a duration of several weeks, such as this one.

"Traffic is also flowing smoothly as there are currently two lanes open to traffic. There is a detour going around the culvert, but it isn't impacting traffic."

Work has been ongoing all summer. So far, crews have placed most of the crushed rock, placed the curb from Frampton Lane to Trinity Drive (on the west side) and started to excavate to install a culvert just north of Frampton.

Storm sewers are also complete and utility companies are moving their poles and lines to accommodate the widening project.

Robichaud says the installation of an 11-metre wide culvert will begin sometime in the next couple of weeks. The culvert will have to be installed in 26 sections. It will allow for the construction of an underground sidewalk that will link Mapleton Park with the commercial development on the other side of the road.

Documents filed with the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission show electronics giant Best Buy, home fashions outlet Linens 'n' Things and furniture store The Brick are among the retailers prepared to set up shop in the new Mapleton Fashion Centre.

Meanwhile, Robichaud says crews will need to complete curbing, sidewalks and asphalt as well as aesthetic details such as line painting.

Mapleton Road will feature five lanes of traffic, two in each direction and a middle lane for left turns only.

Left turns will only be permitted at traffic lights.

"This is expected to be able to accommodate traffic associated with the city's growth for many years to come," Robichaud says.

Frampton Lane work consists of adding an additional lane to take pressure off streets in the adjacent subdivision.

Meantime, Moncton's $1.05 million work on Botsford Street, which includes improved access to the city's new fire station, was completed earlier this week. One northbound through lane was added to Botsford, making it easier for motorists to access two major arteries -- Lewisville Road and Wheeler Boulevard.

A tender will be called soon for work on a Route 15 overpass (westbound) between Botsford and Mapleton Road.

Paving will also soon begin on Route 15 in the Lewisville Road area. Crews have been milling the ramps to prepare for paving.

Homes for sale on the rise
Lower prices, slower sales due to increased inventory

A1
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

With increased numbers of houses for sale throughout Metro Moncton, there are plenty of options for potential home buyers looking to purchase real estate.

Not only are their many newly built homes for sale in Metro Moncton, but also large numbers of pre-owned homes on the market, such as these in the Grove Hamlet area.

David Lyman, of Moncton-based Pro Realty, says the number of houses for sale is up about six per cent from this point last year.

"Percentage-wise, looking at the big picture, there's some more listings than normal and if you're going to sell your house there seems to be more competition out there," he says. "You have to be a little more price-conscious when marketing your house."

Lyman says the total number of houses listed to date this year is 4,070 while last year it was 3,842. There were 3,971 homes listed at this point in 2006.

With more listings, the market changes, albeit minor, will be felt in pricing and sale time for listed homes -- which could be good news for buyers, according to Lyman.

The realtor stresses that with so much competition, prices for houses typically are lower than what they might normally be, although it may take longer to sell your home when a buyer has so many different options and choices.

Despite that fact, he says the average price of a sold house thus far this year is $157,938, which is up from $153,337 last year. Lyman says the discrepancy could be a result of higher-bracket homes gaining in popularity or general shifts in the market which increase prices around the country.

"The biggest market in this area seems to be for homes between $160,000 and $180,000," he says, noting the $120,000 to $140,000 range is also increasing in popularity.

"There also seems to be a strong demand for new construction -- especially in the same range."

While the number of housing listings are up in Metro Moncton to date this year, total sales to date are down five per cent. After a harsh winter that had negative impacts on the real estate industry, the summer months are expected to help bring sales numbers back closer to par with previous years.

"I think things will balance out overall. Mind you, the housing market in Moncton, I don't want people to think it's weak. Right at the moment it's still quite strong," Lyman says. "I would say right now, it's kind of a balanced market."

Donny Legere, franchise owner of PropertyGuys.com Moncton, says they've noticed a huge increase in the number of people listing with their website, although it has as much to do with the business taking off as it does with the market increase.

"We're talking a 97 per cent increase (in listings) over last year at this point on a month-to-month basis. We're seeing tremendous growth as far as listing counts, but I don't know if that's a result of the market increase or just our popularity increasing," he says, adding that the market certainly isn't slumping.

"In relation to the market I just think we're getting more market share. If the market stays the same we'd still be ahead, if the market increases it helps us get ahead."

As for the reasons so many more houses are going on the market, Legere says homeowners' reasons for selling are as varied as the number of different homes available on the market.

"A lot of the older houses people are selling because they're building new. I see a lot of people that are in a home two years and that's it, they're moving on to the next one. It's almost like they're trading cars or something," he says.

However, he says more available housing is definitely not a bad thing.

"More inventory means more clients, but that does bring prices down just a little bit because everyone wants to be competitive," Legere says.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Job seekers flock to Metro as unemployment rises
Older employees fastest growing sector of N.B. labour force

D2
By MARC HUDON
Times & Transcript Staff

OTTAWA - The unemployment rate in Moncton has spiked nearly two per cent in the past 12 months as thousands of job seekers flood to the Hub City in search of work, says an analyst with Statistics Canada.

"There's an increase in the number of people who are coming into the labour force," says Vincent Ferrao.

He says more workers searching for fewer available jobs means higher unemployment.

Ferrao says a total of 72,800 people were working in the Moncton area in July, up less than one-third of a per cent from this time last year.

Almost 2,000 new workers have flooded the Metro job market in the past 12 months, says Ferrao.

New Brunswick was one of four provinces to see its workforce expand in July as 2,000 people found work while 2,700 more New Brunswickers held jobs than a year earlier.

Older workers also continued their strong contribution to the economy with about 4,000 workers over 55 years old joining the workforce in the past 12 months.

The number of older workers in New Brunswick continues to flourish, expanding eight per cent since last year while outpacing national growth by a full percentage point.

Meanwhile, fewer youth ages 15 to 24 were working as 2,800 left the labour force.

The unemployment rate (NB) stood at 8.8 per cent in July, down almost a full percentage point from June.

Ferrao says most employment gains were made in the service sector, including health care, transportation, and warehousing.

mmmatt
Aug 10, 2008, 5:56 AM
On mapleton right now there is a huge steel pipe going in...Im assuming thats the underground sidewalk...its pretty massive...I drive down the street basically every day it fun now because they have to route traffic differently all the time based on what they are working on at the moment, its a new adventure every day haha. It will be awesome when its done though, that whole area is exploding with development right now...I just saw on mountain road recently a new rendering for a 4 story apartment building that I had never heard about before. Its near where home hardware is.

mmmatt
Aug 11, 2008, 1:44 AM
EAGLES!!!

sorry it took me a while...here is a montage I made of some of the better pics I took at the Eagles concert

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/Eagles/Eagles.jpg

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Apparently there is a "Sobeys" going up somewhere by the Home Hardware on Mountain Road...haven't heard much more than that.

MonctonRad
Aug 11, 2008, 4:17 PM
Apparently there is a "Sobeys" going up somewhere by the Home Hardware on Mountain Road...haven't heard much more than that.

I presume "by the Home Hardware" means out by Magnetic Hill. No, I had not heard that but I guess that it is possible since that area of the city is growing so explosively. There apparently are plans for another new Sobey's on Harrisville Blvd. near the overpass over the Shediac 4-lane (route 15 by the airport). Apparently it is to be built in the next couple of years.

Speaking of Magnetic Hill, it was in the paper last week (although not reported here) that a Microtel motel is to be built out there with an opening by sometime in 2009.

kirjtc2
Aug 11, 2008, 6:04 PM
I wonder if this would replace the one at Northwest Centre or if it would be a completely new store...or if the new one in Dieppe would replace one of the existing stores there.

MonctonRad
Aug 11, 2008, 7:15 PM
I wonder if this would replace the one at Northwest Centre or if it would be a completely new store...or if the new one in Dieppe would replace one of the existing stores there.

The new Sobeys on Harrisville Blvd (Moncton BTW, not Dieppe) is definitely not a replacement store. It is being built to service the new subdivisions off Dieppe Blvd and Shediac Road.

I also doubt that Sobeys would close the Northwast Centre outlet if a new store is built at Magnetic Hill; thats at least 4 km further out of town.

gehrhardt
Aug 11, 2008, 7:42 PM
I agree that they wouldn't close the one in the Northwest Centre. They have two of them in Dieppe that are practically across the street from each other, so 4-5km away is almost in another city. :)

ErickMontreal
Aug 12, 2008, 9:13 AM
$67M in road, bridge projects under way

Published Tuesday August 12th, 2008
A1
BY NICK MOORE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

MUNDLEVILLE - As a child, Premier Shawn Graham says he spent many summers jumping off the roof of the St. Nicholas River covered bridge near
The $6.8-million replacement for the Mundleville Bridge is well under way near Rexton. The original covered bridge burned down several years ago and area residents have made do with the temporary bridge seen at the left of the photo.

"This was my favourite swimming hole when I was a youngster growing up in Kent County," he recalled yesterday while standing close to where the old bridge once stood. "There are a lot of fond memories of swimming here."

The old 150-metre-long (492 foot) covered bridge -- which was at one time the second-longest covered bridge in Canada -- burned in February 2001 because of faulty electrical wires inside the structure. It was replaced later that spring with a wooden-structure steel trestle bridge which allowed for one way traffic and was meant as a temporary fix.

Now, seven years later, local residents have received word that construction on a new $6.8-million bridge is scheduled to be completed next year.

The St. Nicholas River bridge is one of 40 tenders issued for road work and bridge construction this summer in southeastern New Brunswick. Premier Graham said such work in the area is important for the movement of goods to market and also for people living in the residential area.

"In southeastern New Brunswick we recognized the importance of a healthy transportation budget this year," he said. "It's important to remember that our roads just aren't in the urban areas, they're in the rural areas as well."

The Department of Transportation's capital budget for 2008-09 is nearly $340 million for the entire province, making it the largest transportation capital budget in New Brunswick history, excluding any payments as part of public-private partnerships. About $67 million from that budget has been earmarked for road and bridge projects in Albert, Kent and Westmorland Counties.

In addition to the new bridge over the St. Nicholas River, construction of a new $6.3-million bridge over the Memramcook River on Highway 2 (the Trans-Canada Highway) continues. Also, demolition of the current bridge over the Cocagne River will soon begin, setting the stage for a new $11.7-million bridge to be open for traffic in 2010.

The government plans to chipseal close to 200 kilometres of highway in the area under this budget and several local roads will be resurfaced including Routes 465, 475, 480, 485, 495, 515 and 525.

About 18 kilometres (11 miles) of new pavement will be laid on Route 11 between Shediac and Richibucto, 27 kilometres (18 miles) of pavement on Route 15 between Barachois and Moncton, 10 kilometres (6 miles) of pavement in the Tantramar area on Route 2, and more than 24 kilometres (15 miles) of new pavement on Route 126 between Miramichi and Moncton.

Graham said the government plans to be more pro-active across the province to begin fixing troublesome roads before they become even bigger problems by taking "the politics out of paving" and restoring roads before they become too costly to repair in the long term.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Sewage treatment options debated
$150M cost of enhanced treatment system proposed by Riverkeeper said to out of reach by sewerage commission

Published Tuesday August 12th, 2008
A4
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The Greater Moncton Sewerage Commission's vision for the future may conflict with that of the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper, but commission chairman Ron LeBlanc is confident that expanding capacity while protecting the environment is the right way to go.

The sewage treatment facility in Riverview is seen from Bore Park in Moncton yesterday.

Tim Van Hinte, head of the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper lobby group has suggested Moncton move forward from a primary treatment system toward secondary and tertiary treatment programs that are carried out in other jurisdictions.

LeBlanc says that day may come, but it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars. For now, the priority is to expand Metro Moncton's sewage treatment plant to keep up with the city's growing population while at the same time minimizing its effect on the environment as a whole.

Van Hinte said in an interview yesterday the river lobby group was troubled by the recent news that the Greensboro Subdivision -- on the Riverview side of the Petitcodiac but outside the town's limits -- has been pumping raw sewage into the river since the 1970s. He said the Riverkeeper has filed an official letter of complaint with the environment department and hopes for a response within a month.

In the meantime, the Riverkeeper has embarked on a survey to find out how other municipalities along the Petitcodiac deal with raw sewage from toilets, bathtubs, sinks and other sources of industrial, commercial and residential liquid waste. Van Hinte said the intent of the survey is to understand how much sewage is going into the river. But the Riverkeeper is running into roadblocks because the Greater Moncton Sewerage Commission isn't legally required to provide an answer to the questions.

"We take it for granted that when we flush our toilets it goes to the sewage treatment plant. But we think that in some cases that isn't true," Van Hinte said.

He is concerned about Metro Moncton's aging sewer system, which transports both raw sewage and water runoff from rainstorms and melting snow, and what could happen if they overflow.

Van Hinte said the Riverkeeper organization sees sewage as a threat to the Petitcodiac similar to the causeway, which has blocked flow of the river for about 40 years.

The ultimate goal, he said, would be to improve sewage treatment in the watershed. He suggested increasing the treatment from the current primary method through secondary and tertiary treatments. Metro Moncton currently has a primary system, which screens out the sediments and solids but doesn't remove chemicals an heavy metals. A secondary system breaks down organic materials, while a tertiary system would treat waste water through a system of lagoons to put nearly potable water back into the river.

"The process would take a lot of time and money but we should agree and get started."

But chairman Ronald J. LeBlanc says the Greater Moncton Sewerage Commission has its own path to the future, which begins by increasing the capacity and treatment.

"Our plant will never be finished," he said, explaining that the changing demands and technology will result in a constant evolution of Metro Moncton's sewage treatment plant, located on the Riverview side of the Petitcodiac.

He said sewage treatment has come a long way since 1983, when there was basically none. The city has grown tremendously over the last 25 years in both population and production of waste water. The current sewage treatment system is located in a 12-storey building (nine of them undergrond) that can currently handle about 115,000 cubic metres (25 million gallons) of waste water per day. The primary treatment system removes about 60 per cent of the solids from water before sending it back into the Petitcodiac. The solids that are removed are now taken to a compost facility that was officially opened earlier this year.

One of the priorities for the plant will be a second collection line to transport the sewage under the river from Moncton to the plant. There is already a 1,100-metre tunnel running under the river between Moncton and Riverview, and 30 kilometres of collector sewers. Several other capital projects are planned, but can't begin until the funds are available.

LeBlanc said the commission applied for $26 million in government funding last year but didn't get it. The plant is also looking at solar panels, windmills and other sources of electricity to cut down on its carbon footprint.

"We don't just treat waste water, we have to think of all the environment," he said, noting that putting on extra treatment systems would use more power and actually do more environmental harm.

And just because secondary and tertiary systems are being used in other places like Halifax, Saint John, St. John's and Montreal doesn't mean it's right for Metro Moncton. He explained that Moncton doesn't draw its drinking water supply from the river like other places that use their harbours or other large bodies of water as both a dumping pot and a drinking dipper.

Metro Moncton's drinking water supply comes from the Turtle Creek Reservoir, not too far from the Petitcodiac, via the water treatment plant.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc yesterday said council stands behind the sewerage commission, which has earned accolades for its accomplishments over the last 25 years. He said the protecting the environment is a priority for his council but moving to a secondary and tertiary system seems financially out of reach, especially at a time when maintaining a good source of drinking water for a city of over 100,000 would be a higher priority.

MonctonRad
Aug 13, 2008, 12:31 AM
Does anyone know what is happening on the lot next to the VIA Rail station? I drove by there this evening and it certainly looks to be more than just a "soil remediation" site. There is fencing all around the lot and stakes are in the ground everywhere. There is active excavation going on and signs around the site proclaim it as a "construction site".

If there is anything being built there, I would imagine that it is going to be retail, especially as it would be right across from the new Sobeys.

Any ideas?

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know what is happening on the lot next to the VIA Rail station? I drove by there this evening and it certainly looks to be more than just a "soil remediation" site. There is fencing all around the lot and stakes are in the ground everywhere. There is active excavation going on and signs around the site proclaim it as a "construction site".

If there is anything being built there, I would imagine that it is going to be retail, especially as it would be right across from the new Sobeys.

Any ideas?

Good question...I saw that too and was wondering the same thing!

Anyone?

P Unit
Aug 13, 2008, 2:15 PM
Maybe it's another power centre! We need more of those!

MonctonRad
Aug 13, 2008, 4:54 PM
Maybe it's another power centre! We need more of those!

I don't think you are familiar with the area P-Unit, the location in question is not nearly large enough. :)

I claim no inside knowledge; but if I were a betting man, I would suggest that the site would be a good location for a Shoppers Drug Mart. The status of the Shoppers at Highfield Square is pretty tenuous. Crombie Properties (which manages Highfield Square) is only offering mall tenants leases on a month by month basis. The mall is now about 75% vacant. The only major tenant left (aside from The Bay), is Shoppers.

There are strong rumours that a major (forklift) upgrade is coming for Highfield and that all existing tenants (except for The Bay) will have to get out. If Shoppers wants to keep a store in that section of downtown, the lot next to the VIA station would be a good location for them.

This is all educated speculation.

kirjtc2
Aug 13, 2008, 7:53 PM
I claim no inside knowledge; but if I were a betting man, I would suggest that the site would be a good location for a Shoppers Drug Mart.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was Shoppers. They've gone the big-box route lately and abandoning a lot of their older mall stores.

sdm
Aug 13, 2008, 7:57 PM
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was Shoppers. They've gone the big-box route lately and abandoning a lot of their older mall stores.

How about lawtons as it is run by Sobeys

gehrhardt
Aug 13, 2008, 8:09 PM
It's probably another Tim Horton's. They did shut down that one on Main...

mylesmalley
Aug 13, 2008, 9:19 PM

I have it on reasonably good authority that it is a Shoppers. They're one of the last stores left in Highfield Square and I think they're anxious to move on.

ErickMontreal
Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
Where will practice track be built?
Sackville won't pursue practice facility for 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=170100&size=500x0
Now that the Town of Sackville has given up on the idea of building a practice track for the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships, the search is on for another location, but it is doubtful the location will be in Metro
Published Thursday August 14th, 2008

A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Now that the Town of Sackville has given up on the idea of building a practice track for the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships, the search is on for another location, but it is doubtful the location will be in Metro

Both the English and French school districts have been hopeful they would have the practice track.

"We're still very interested in having it built next to l'Odyssée school," said Anne-Marie LeBlanc, superintendent of School District 1, which manages French-language schools southeastern New Brunswick. "l'Odyssée is near UdeM and the track facility would be a good addition for the new school."

Aubrey Kirkpatrick, director of finance, administration and communications for District 2, says the English-language district would also love to have the facility constructed on the current site of the Moncton High School football field and track. The field is just a short walk from the high school building on Church Street and not far from l'Université de Moncton. Kirkpatrick said the district would continue to lobby for the facility and offer the use of the Moncton High School building during the 2010 event.

Ian Fowler, the City of Moncton's manager of parks and recreation, said Sackville's decision is unfortunate but merely another problem to be resolved as organizers move toward the event. He said it would definitely be preferable to have the practice track in the Sackville area, within walking distance of the dorms at Mount Allison University where the majority of the athletes will be staying. He doubts it would be located in Metro Moncton.

"There are still lots of options."

Fowler said Sackville's decision to pull out of the practice track plan is unfortunate, but he believes another location can be found. He noted there is also a track at Mount Allison University and another in nearby Memramcook that could be upgraded to the standards required by the international athletic association that sanctions the event.

The track on the Mount Allison campus surrounds the football/soccer field. It is located directly behind the university's student centre, which was completely refurbished this year and will have its official opening next month. The student centre is home to offices, training facilities and the international student office. It has a media centre and broadcast booth which overlook the football field.

Officials at Mount Allison say the field does not currently meet the requirements of the athletic association but could be upgraded. The Memramcook facility is located behind the village's arena. It has a running track, soccer field and room to expand.

The 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships will be hosted by Moncton and expected to draw more than 2,000 athletes, coaches, support staff and media from 180 countries, making it one of the biggest events ever hosted by the city.

The centre of the event will be a new stadium on the campus of l'Université de Moncton which is now under construction.

Sackville was expected to be a partner by constructing a practice track on town land near Tantramar Regional High School. But Sackville Town Council decided at Monday's meeting that it could not carry out the plan set in motion by the previous council. Sackville Mayor Pat Estabrooks told the Times & Transcript yesterday that the practice track would cost approximately $3.9 million. Council had asked the federal and provincial governments to share one-third of the cost, and was also looking for financial partnerships from Mount Allison and the City of Moncton.

Estabrooks, who was elected mayor in May of this year, said the deal was set in motion by the previous council, which had promised to invest about $600,000 of town money. Estabrooks said she tried in vain to follow-up with both the federal and provincial governments to find out what was happening with the funding application. Unable to get an answer, she said council had no choice but to back out of the deal.

"It's very unfortunate and I hope the athletes will still be coming here," Estabrooks said yesterday. She said the town has more pressing capital projects -- including a water tower, new RCMP building and new fire station -- that will take priority over a running track and also require funding assistance in the coming years.

Bruce MacFarlane, corporate secretary for the New Brunswick Regional Development Corporation, said Sackville's application for funding is still under review. He said if the town withdraws the application, the organizing committee for the 2010 games could try to secure funding for another location. But they would have to start with a fresh application.

Dominic LeBlanc, the MP for Beauséjour and Sackville's representative in Ottawa, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sackville's decision comes just as planners for the games are getting organized. Fowler said a news conference will likely be held next week to introduce the organizing committee and explain how the city will prepare for the big event. With over 2,000 people coming from around the world, he said it will be a major cultural event.

Construction of the new stadium on the campus of l'Université de Moncton is already under way. The project received $7.5 million from the federal government, $5 million from the province and another $5 million from the city. Fowler said phase one includes groundwork, site preparation and construction of the track and bleachers. Tenders for phase two, the main building, will be issued soon.

Meanwhile, Mount Allison University stands ready to roll out the red carpet for more than 1,000 athletes from around the world.

"It is our hope and intention that the university will continue to be a big partner with the games," Gloria Jollymore, vice-president of external relations at Mount Allison said yesterday.

Jollymore said Mount Allison has accommodations available for up to 1,200 athletes, coaches, chaperones and others coming to Metro Moncton in two years for the world track and field championships. It also has a large cafeteria, fitness centres, weight rooms and therapeutic facilities normally used by university athletes. She said Mount Allison is also proud of its international student centre and displays the flags of students from other countries attending the university.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Moncton retail growth just 'tip of the icebegr'
Retail developer says many more retail projects 'in the hopper'

A1
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

The retail world in Metro Moncton continues to grow and is showing no signs of slowing down, says the chairman of the 2008 Atlantic Provinces Idea Exchange, a retail sector event taking place today in Charlottetown, put on by the International Council of Shopping Centres.

Peter Mackenzie, spokesman for ICSC who by day works for CB Richard Ellis, a worldwide commercial real estate company that does regular business in Moncton, says the city has two things going for it -- new development and reinvestment.

The new development, of course, comes in the way of the coming Mapleton power centre and other sites like Dieppe's uptown development which currently features a new Co-op grocery store and a gym. Sobeys' new Vaughan Harvey Boulevard location is another example, he says.

And on the reinvestment side, Mackenzie points to the longtime cornerstone of Moncton's retail world, Champlain Place shopping centre. For years, the mall has brought in traffic from other cities for shopping purposes and, in the last few months, the mall has seen major renovations.

"They're basically pulling apart the interior of that mall and putting it back together again," he says.

In addition to the major developments in the mall and at the new power centre site on Mapleton Road, Mackenzie says there are many other things coming down the pipe that haven't made it to the "public process" yet, he says.

"I think what people don't necessarily realize is, with something like the Mapleton power centre for example, that's a four to five year project, between the time that you acquire the land until you start to talk to retailers, you get all the construction costs done and then you actually start to build and open the thing.

"So, in terms of what's in the hopper for Moncton, there is quite a bit," he continues. "There are a lot of land sales in the works, there are a lot of people that have tied up some properties so they have the option of purchasing some land for retail."

Mackenzie wasn't divulging any secrets on what stores we might see come our way, but he's optimistic that Metro Moncton's growth isn't about to slow down.

However, he says the one thing that could affect the market here and across Canada is the economic downturn in the United States.

Mackenzie says many of the major retailers in Canada are U.S.-based, and they may slow growth in this country because it has slowed stateside.

On the other hand, he says it is possible that these companies could see Canadians' continued willingness to spend as a reason to spur further growth in the country.

"I think the message is, the stuff that you're seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg," he says of Moncton's growth.

"Moncton has the reputation of being a good, solid retail destination. So it is attracting people almost from the Quebec border, and in some cases, people will come from the Quebec border to get to Champlain Place, for example."

He says people across New Brunswick and from Prince Edward Island regularly travel to the Hub City to shop.

"What you have to appreciate is that a shopping centre in Montreal, for example, or Toronto, would draw from four or five kilometres around it. And there's such a population density within that four or five kilometres that those shopping centres tend to do well.

"In Moncton, that circle can be much, much bigger than that, and it's not necessarily a circle. You can talk about the population radius 100 km away or 200 km away because that's where you're drawing from."

He says Moncton remains the dominate retail centre in New Brunswick and one of three key destinations in Atlantic Canada, including Halifax and St. John's.

The Mapleton Road development is arguably the biggest development on the go now, with stores such as The Brick and Best Buy reported to be moving in. The development will have 350,000 square feet of fashion and home decor stores in addition to a few restaurants.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Japanese restaurant opens in Moncton
Pink Sushi features large menu including various kinds of sushi, meat and veggies

C2
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

When Peter Roh began travelling to New Brunswick several years ago, he says he sought out "high quality" Asian food.

Master Youn Ho Kim shows of a tasty plate of sushi now available at the Pink Sushi and Terayaki restaurant on Main Street in Moncton.

Roh, a Korean immigrant who now lives in Toronto, then came back and opened his own Japanese restaurant.

A tax accountant by trade, Roh has partnered with a Saint John woman, Lauren Kim, on Pink Sushi, a restaurant that serves Japanese and Korean food in downtown Moncton.

The restaurant opened this week on Main Street next to Subway, where Quizno's sub shop used to be located.

On its first day, the restaurant was fairly busy during its lunch hour. On the menu is everything from sushi to grilled salmon or chicken teriyaki, wahame salad (seaweed with dressing), lobster salad, wonton soup, shrimp tempura (large pieces of shrimp battered and served with sauce), salmon sashimi (raw salmon), jabokai (stir-fried noodles and veggies) and much more.

For those who assume Japanese food begins and ends with sushi and other raw fish dishes, you'll find you're sorely mistaken.

Most of the restaurant's meals run in the $8-15 range, though there are several larger take-out orders available for groups that run anywhere from $40-90.

For Roh, Pink Sushi is a business, but it's also something he loves. "When I was a business student, they taught us that the best entrepreneurs enjoy their work," he says.

Japanese food is his personal favourite, and he says it is Moncton's turn to try high quality Japanese and Korean foods.

Pink Sushi features an open concept kitchen, so you can see master chef Youn Ho Kim and his staff at work.

Kim trained in Korea and Japan and has worked for years in the Toronto market, where Japanese restaurants are common.

Roh says much of Pink Sushi's menu and concept comes from Kim.

The restaurant is medium-sized with Asian decorations and it features a private room for meetings or a more private eating experience.

Roh hopes to eventually open Pink Sushi restaurants in other New Brunswick cities such as Fredericton. He says perhaps one day he will take the brand across the Maritimes.

Currently, in addition to the Moncton restaurant, a Pink Sushi kiosk is located in the Brunswick Square Mall in Saint John.

Pink Sushi is located at 720 Main St. in Moncton. It is open 11 a.m.-10 p.m. daily. Roh says he may extend the hours on Fridays and Saturdays and perhaps shorten them on Sunday, depending on demand.

P Unit
Aug 14, 2008, 2:25 PM
I don't think you are familiar with the area P-Unit, the location in question is not nearly large enough. :)

I'm quite familiar with the area, actually. While not a large enough site to build something to the scale of the monstrosity off Wheeler Blvd., there is the room (and, from several quotes in the TT a few months ago, the political will) to build suburban style low density retail in the area. A stand-alone Shoppers Drug Mart would fit into this category. I think development like this is a travesty. Moncton has been presented with an opportunity that many other cities would envy. There is a huge swath of land directly bordering downtown available for development. It is essentially a clean slate that could accommodate any number of uses. Why is there always an insistence in this town to throw up the first thing that some two-bit developer offers to build? Why is there no overall plan for the area? (If there is one, please point me to it. I don't live in the city any more and, try as I may, I don't always catch all the news). This site has the potential to eventually become a crown jewel to downtown and provide a western anchor to the entire core, and it seems as if it's willingly being thrown to the first businessman willing to put up another homely, low grade retail project.

mylesmalley
Aug 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
No worries for practice tracks: officials
Published Friday August 15th, 2008

Final decisions due in fall for 2010 track & field locations
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFFs

Final decisions on the locations and funding for training and warmup facilities for the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships likely won't be made until this fall when a delegation from the sanctioning body makes an inspection trip to Moncton, but that shouldn't pose any problems in staging the event, city spokesman Ian Fowler said yesterday.

1 OF 2

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=170791&size=500x0

"This issue is not throwing the event off track," Fowler said. He said final decisions won't be made until officials from the International Association of Athletics Federation make an inspection visit to Moncton in October and officially approve Moncton's plans for facilities.

More than 2,000 athletes from more than 100 countries are expected to be in Moncton for the international competition in 2010, which will make it one of the biggest events the city has ever hosted.

Construction has already begun on the new stadium where competitions will be held, but there is still a question of where the practice, training and warmup facilities will be. Fowler said yesterday that two practice facilities will likely be required, at a combined cost of about $6 million depending on how and where they are constructed. The source of funding for the facilities is still in question but Fowler said he is confident it will be forthcoming as soon as plans are finalized.

Speaking following a meeting of the Conservative Party of Canada's Atlantic caucus in Fredericton yesterday, the minister responsible for ACOA, Peter MacKay, said funding for the practice facilities has not been ruled out.

"I am not in a position to say what that amount will be, and what the final negotiations will result in," said McKay.

"I understand that there is still a lot of discussions about the other facilities. As you know we have put money into the main stadium, and I know there have been applications put forward."

Choosing a location and securing the funding will be among the many jobs of the event's organizing committee. A news conference is expected next week to introduce members of the executive committee and their plan to bring the event to fruition.

Fowler explained that under the terms of its agreement with the IAAF, the host city needs to provide the main stadium, a practice track and a warmup facility. The IAAF is also the sanctioning body for the Olympics. It is represented in Canada by Athletics Canada. The Ottawa office said senior officials with Athletics Canada are in Beijing for the Olympics. Attempts to reach them for comment on the Moncton situation have so far been unsuccessful.

Construction of the new 20,000-seat, $20-million stadium began in April on the campus of l'Université de Moncton. It is being funded through contributions by all three levels of government, including $7.5 million from Ottawa and $6.5 million from Fredericton.

Fowler said pouring of the surface at the main stadium will be done this fall, and it is hoped the surface for other facilities will be done at the same time. Moncton will also be the host of the 2009 and 2010 editions of the Canadian national junior track and field championships. The 2009 event is now less than a year away since it is scheduled for Aug. 6-9.

But plans for the practice and training facilities are still up in the air. Fowler said the host needs to provide a practice track and a warmup facility. The training or practice facility would include a six-lane running track and amenities for athletes to work on their high jump, pole vault and other skills prior to their competitions. It would basically be a full-scale replica of the stadium where competitions are held. The warmup facility would be smaller and give athletes a place to warmup just prior to their events.

Fowler said he had a first-hand look at the facilities in Beijing two years ago.

"The warmup facility and the training facility were in the same place, which was not ideal."

Under an agreement with Moncton, the Town of Sackville wanted to set up a practice facility in the town. This made sense because many of the athletes would be staying at dorms on the campus of Mount Allison University, a 45-minute drive away from the main competition stadium in Moncton. The town had applied for funding from the federal and provincial governments to help build the facility. But this week, with no sign of the money, Sackville's town council decided to give up on the idea. The Regional Development Corporation, a branch of the provincial government, said this week that Sackville's application is still under review. Patricia Field, a spokeswoman for the The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency said yesterday ACOA would not comment on the status of an application that has not been finalized.

With Sackville apparently out of the game, Fowler said the city still has options for the training facility. Five potential locations are Mount Allison University, behind the Memramcook arena, at the Anna Malenfant School in Dieppe, l'Odysée School in Moncton and the Moncton High School track on Church Street.

Both school districts in Metro Moncton have held out hope that the Moncton schools would be chosen because a track facility would be a valuable asset for future athletes.

Moncton MP Brian Murphy agrees.

"The practice track should be in Moncton," Murphy said yesterday.

"Moncton High, my alumnus, would be a great choice, but so would be a track near the new middle school (l'Odyssée). Unfortunately that school was built without athletic facilities because of a short-change operation from the last provincial government."

If it comes to push and shove, Murphy said he would lobby for a Moncton location.

"The people paying for this are the people of Greater Moncton and that track should be in the Greater Moncton area. It would be an affront if the practice track, which would be used by day-to-day competitors from the local area for a long time, was not put in Moncton."

Fowler said the organizing committee will look at all the sites to decide which would be the best one, and provide options for the IAAF representatives when they visit Moncton in October.

The idea is to have practice and warmup facilities that are convenient for the athletes and minimize the need for bus transportation between them and the main competition stadium. But it made sense to have the training facility as close as possible to the dorms at Mount Allison, where many of them will be staying.

Once the location and other details have been worked out, Fowler expects funding will come quickly. He said city officials have already been in talks with the provincial government and explained what will be needed, including cost estimates.

"The files are still active and waiting for additional information and input."

He said the facilities, if built separately, would cost about $3 million each. But that cost could vary depending on the location and many other factors. In the case of Moncton High, Mount Allison and Memramcook, they are all aging facilities that would need a lot of work to bring up to standards. But once they were complete, they would be valuable assets for their communities and the nearby schools.

Moncton was given the nod by the IAAF to host the 2010 World Junior Track & Field Championships in March of 2006. The city was competing with Bydgoszcz (pronounced Bid-gosh), Poland, which hosted the 2008 event last month. That event attracted 1,520 athletes from 166 countries and had an average attendance of 9,000 people per day. From 1986 to 2006, the event has been held in Greece, Canada (Sudbury), Bulgaria, South Korea, Portugal, Australia, France, Chile, Jamaica, Italy and China.

n With files from Jesse Robichaud

Smevo
Aug 15, 2008, 3:52 PM
I was going to say P-Unit used to live in Moncton (was one of the first Monctonians on the message board), but he beat me to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Highfield went the way of Fredericton Mall, ie- box stores and strip mall. It's sad that Highfield Square and the area around it could have been so much more, even with keeping the mall there.

mylesmalley
Aug 17, 2008, 12:44 AM
It's unfortunate for Sackville that council doesn't want to build that practice track. However, it'd be great to get an extra one in Moncton.

I wonder why they aren't considering upgrading the running track at Atlantic Baptist University? Back in elementary school, all our track and field meets used to be there. There's certainly plenty of room for expansion and the addition of proper facilities/stands.

MonctonRad
Aug 17, 2008, 8:18 PM
I wonder why they aren't considering upgrading the running track at Atlantic Baptist University? Back in elementary school, all our track and field meets used to be there. There's certainly plenty of room for expansion and the addition of proper facilities/stands.

Might be because ABU is a private institution. All the other potential sites mentioned are all public facilities. ABU is pretty much ignored by the city administration.

ErickMontreal
Aug 17, 2008, 8:30 PM
I'm quite familiar with the area, actually. While not a large enough site to build something to the scale of the monstrosity off Wheeler Blvd., there is the room (and, from several quotes in the TT a few months ago, the political will) to build suburban style low density retail in the area. A stand-alone Shoppers Drug Mart would fit into this category. I think development like this is a travesty. Moncton has been presented with an opportunity that many other cities would envy. There is a huge swath of land directly bordering downtown available for development. It is essentially a clean slate that could accommodate any number of uses. Why is there always an insistence in this town to throw up the first thing that some two-bit developer offers to build? Why is there no overall plan for the area? (If there is one, please point me to it. I don't live in the city any more and, try as I may, I don't always catch all the news). This site has the potential to eventually become a crown jewel to downtown and provide a western anchor to the entire core, and it seems as if it's willingly being thrown to the first businessman willing to put up another homely, low grade retail project.

You summed up the problem in regards to development perfectly.

Nothing more to add.

mylesmalley
Aug 17, 2008, 8:39 PM

To a certain extent, the city is still working off it's 1968 municipal plan. And quite frankly, the only time you'll ever hear the word 'vision' tossed around is when people are talking about how council needs mroe of it.

ErickMontreal
Aug 17, 2008, 8:54 PM
To a certain extent, the city is still working off it's 1968 municipal plan. And quite frankly, the only time you'll ever hear the word 'vision' tossed around is when people are talking about how council needs mroe of it.

Well said. :haha:

They could have link the "Via Rail building" along with the "Shoppers Drugs Mart building" in order to create a sort of market square which could have include a food-court as well as others stores. A medical clinic could have been take place in the upper floors.

MonctonRad
Aug 17, 2008, 9:52 PM

Sorry P Unit, I didn't mean to offend. I'm relatively new to the forum and had not come across your name before. It does indeed sound like you are familiar with the area.

I understand your frustration with city administration. That being said, some retail development around Vaughn Harvey and Main is necessary, and most of what is happening is simply existing retailers vacating Highfield Square and relocating in the immediate neighbourhood.

I think a more germaine question is: What do the Sobey's have in mind for the redevelopment of Highfield Square itself? If it is to just turn the area into a downtown big box development, I'm sure that everyone that contributes to this forum would be disappointed.

I would like to see a mixed use development of some form, including ground floor retail, condo towers and perhaps an office building built on the site. This could link up quite nicely with the existing Bay department store and with the pedway across to the federal building. With the Crowne Plaza Hotel kitty corner to area, this would truly make a "western gateway" to downtown.

It will be interesting to see what type of vision the Sobeys have for the area but I must admit, I'm not very hopeful

ErickMontreal
Aug 17, 2008, 9:54 PM
On a positive note, the material used by Heritage holding for the 2-story building under renovation along Main is kind of neat.

Helladog
Aug 17, 2008, 11:07 PM
I visited your fair city today; I took my son to crystal palace. I wish northrup would build one of those in Saint John at Eastpoint.

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2008, 12:32 AM
I visited your fair city today; I took my son to crystal palace. I wish northrup would build one of those in Saint John at Eastpoint.

Crystal Palace, I'm told, was built in anticipation of it becoming a casino when gambling was legalized, but when it never happened, I guess they figured the money they made from the amusement park made it worth while to keep it open. On it's own, I'm not sure it'd be all that successful, but with Champlain place as big a draw as it is, it makes for a pretty good combination.

kirjtc2
Aug 18, 2008, 2:00 AM

Bah...East Point is tacky enough as it is.

I walked around Crystal Palace for the first time in about 15 years a few months ago....it didn't look like that place had changed a bit since then, and it's starting to look a little worn. It seemed to me that the owners (Cadillac-Fairview?) seemed indifferent to keeping it fresh. How often do they get new rides/attractions?

Helladog
Aug 18, 2008, 2:18 AM
Bah...East Point is tacky enough as it is.

I walked around Crystal Palace for the first time in about 15 years a few months ago....it didn't look like that place had changed a bit since then, and it's starting to look a little worn. It seemed to me that the owners (Cadillac-Fairview?) seemed indifferent to keeping it fresh. How often do they get new rides/attractions?

It looks like a good place to send the kids in Summer; I'll bet in winter it gets slow there though. Is it a tourist draw at all?

In SJ, some owners and management of Market Square were planning to convert that venue into an amusement park but the primary owner, Scotiabank held it back...this after kicking out 2nd floor tenants and such...

For now they have a week-long carnival at Harbour Station, but it'd still be nice to have something more permananet, especially in Summer.

As for Eastpoint, the only reason I mentioned that as a venue was because it seems they're the most willing to shovel out cash for big retail- maybe they could sell those big lights on ebay.

Anyway, not trying to take over the thread for SJ discussions. Crystal Palace is the primary reason I go to Moncton.

ErickMontreal
Aug 18, 2008, 3:00 AM
:: UNDER CONSTRUCTION :: METRO MONCTON ::

Casino/Hotel/Convention Center | Magnetic Hill | 4/3/2-story | 90-million $
UDEM Stadium | University area | 10 000 seats/10 000 permanent bleacher
Ambulatory Care Centre/Moncton Hospital | 48-million $
Downtown Office | Downtown | 60 000 S/f | 3-story
Heritage Holding Office | Downtown (Main) | 20 000 S/F | Addition of 1 floor
St-George Apartment | Downtown | 40-Units | 4-Story
Downtown Condo | Downtown | 10-units | 3-Story
Uptown Dieppe (Phase 1) | Dieppe | 25-Units / 20-retail spaces | 2/4-Story
Aquatic Center | Dieppe | 16-millions $
Champlain Plan Facelift | Dieppe | 16-million $
Place Beausoleil | Dieppe | 2X 40-Units | 4-Story
Dieppe BLVD Office 1 | Dieppe | S/F Unknown | 2-Story
Post Canada Warehouse | Dieppe | 1-Story | 50 000 S/F
Chatersville Road Office | Dieppe | 2-Story
Ward Street 1 | University Area | 35-Units | 4-Story
Ward Street 2 | University Area | 25-Units | 3-Story
Morton Apartment | University Area | 64-Units | 5-Story
Humphrey Apartment | Central | 32/64 Units | 4/5-Story
Casa Condo | Riverview | 45-units | 5-Story
Mapleton Power Center | Mapleton | 300 000 S/F | Best Buy
Hampton Inn Complex | Mapleton | 6-Story | 130 rooms | Retail/commercial
John McManaman building | Mapleton | 30 000 S/f | Retail/Office| 2-Story
St-Hubert Restaurant | Mapleton | 1-Story
Mountain Road strip-mail 1 | Mountain Road | 15 000 S/F | Retail | 1-Story
Mountain Road strip-mail 2 Mountain Road | 20 000 S/F | Retail | 1-Story
Mapleton Street/ Paul Street | Infrastructure

It excludes residential subdivisions. Moreover, I likely forgetting some projects.

MonctonRad
Aug 18, 2008, 3:24 AM
Erick:

You neglected to mention the Ambulatory Care Centre at the Moncton Hospital. Construction nearing completion. $48 million.

ErickMontreal
Aug 18, 2008, 3:28 AM
Erick:

You neglected to mention the Ambulatory Care Centre at the Moncton Hospital. Construction nearing completion. $48 million.

I made the correction, thanks

MonctonRad
Aug 18, 2008, 3:35 AM
It looks like a good place to send the kids in Summer; I'll bet in winter it gets slow there though. Is it a tourist draw at all?

In SJ, some owners and management of Market Square were planning to convert that venue into an amusement park but the primary owner, Scotiabank held it back...this after kicking out 2nd floor tenants and such...

For now they have a week-long carnival at Harbour Station, but it'd still be nice to have something more permananet, especially in Summer.

As for Eastpoint, the only reason I mentioned that as a venue was because it seems they're the most willing to shovel out cash for big retail- maybe they could sell those big lights on ebay.

Anyway, not trying to take over the thread for SJ discussions. Crystal Palace is the primary reason I go to Moncton.

Helladog, glad that you enjoy Crystal Palace.

The complex opened in 1990, the year after I moved to Moncton. I must admit that I never thought that the place would last, but it does seem to fill a useful niche and the combination of the amusement park/multiplex cinema/hotel/restaurant and Chapters bookstore seems to work quite well, especially located as it is next to Champlain Place. It actually reminds me of the amusement park at West Edmonton Mall.

Crystal Palace may be a little long in the tooth but Cadillac Fairview is not neglecting it. There has been at least one major upgrade since the place has opened and just this year, several rides (including the Tivoli Swing) were taken apart and completely serviced.

The place is much less active in the winter time but actually is a destination during March Break. Since NS, NB and PEI all schedule their March Breaks differently, this means that Crystal Palace can be quite busy for three weeks at the end of February and the beginning of March.

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2008, 4:08 AM

It excludes residential subdivisions. Moreover, I likely forgetting some projects.

It's a lot when you see it all in one big list..
Good job, erick!

mmmatt
Aug 18, 2008, 5:48 AM
Thats a lot of stuff! Great job Erick!

Dont forget the new seinors complex U/C in Riverview...there is a fair ammount of money involved in that, and Im pretty sure they broke ground already.

Also the skatepark expansion is underway.

And finally the new Shoppers by the new Sobeys...There is more Im sure, just cant think of them right now haha.

Kinda sad not to see the Justice Center not on that list though, that was the project I was most looking forward to this summer... Hopefully they will get a move on soon!

mmmatt
Aug 18, 2008, 6:09 AM
As far as Crystal Palace goes they do a fairly good job of keeping it nice.

In the past three or four years they added a 40ft (approx) climbing wall, a ride which is kinda like hand gliders that spin around, and the "shooting star" which is a pneumatic powered thing that lifts you straight up and lets you down quickly.

a year or so before that they replaced a "science exhibit" thing they had for ages with the Laser Tag game. you can still see pieces of the science thing around the park i.e. the dude with a big head and ears etc.

They also add new arcade games fairly regularly.

And as far as being a tourist draw, I would say that people probably dont drive huge distances to Moncton just to go there but its usually is a stop for a family trip to the area which may also include Magic Mountain or The Zoo or shopping etc...

I know they do well with attracting local family's though, for example just last year they added a sizable addition to the building to accommodate a few extra birthday party areas. Its a very popular place for birthdays etc. (which I know well enough having a 9 yr old brother who goes there just about every second week for a friends birthday haha)...and on top of that he still bugs me to go all the time!

gehrhardt
Aug 18, 2008, 1:24 PM
I was driving through the Caledonia Ind park on the weekend and came across this sign. The picture is a little small, but it was raining and I didn't feel like getting wet.

It's on Harrrisville Blvd, across from Midland.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2774734904_8b0d8b82b5.jpg?v=0

Has anyone heard about this? There is no activity on the site yet, just the sign.

sdm
Aug 18, 2008, 1:34 PM

Whats with all the 4-5 storey apartments..........

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2008, 1:43 PM
Whats with all the 4-5 storey apartments..........

They'r emore cost effective than taller structures because they can be built out of wood instead of steel.

sdm
Aug 18, 2008, 2:19 PM
They'r emore cost effective than taller structures because they can be built out of wood instead of steel.

Understand that, but when will Moncton get with the program of building apartments in concrete....

MonctonGoldenFlames
Aug 18, 2008, 3:10 PM
Understand that, but when will Moncton get with the program of building apartments in concrete....

when the market tells developers people are able/willing to pay for the additional cost.

MonctonRad
Aug 18, 2008, 3:40 PM
I was driving through the Caledonia Ind park on the weekend and came across this sign. The picture is a little small, but it was raining and I didn't feel like getting wet.

It's on Harrrisville Blvd, across from Midland.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2774734904_8b0d8b82b5.jpg?v=0

Has anyone heard about this? There is no activity on the site yet, just the sign.

It's new to me.

I have noticed recently that there is not much discussion on this board re: industrial developments in the greater Moncton area. There has been a fair bit of expansion going on over the last couple of years, particularly in the Caledonia Industrial Park, which has not recieved much attention.

Aside from a couple of high profile projects such as the new Molson's Brewery, most of these developments have been flying under the radar.

gehrhardt
Aug 18, 2008, 5:23 PM
I agree. On the ~1km stretch of McLaughlin from Harrisville to Urquhart, a lot of new buildings have sprung up.

In the past 3 years, Carrier, Molson, Landrill, Keltic, and another couple of buildings (not yet complete) have been built. That stretch used to only have a couple of buildings on it. It's like a totally different area now. That's just one stretch of road too. Don't forget that not far away, there is a new Shell station, Tim Horton's, a Peterbilt dealership, a Kenworth dealership, RV dealership, etc, etc. I could go on. They may not be skyscrapers, but that's a lot of new development.

sdm
Aug 18, 2008, 6:18 PM
when the market tells developers people are able/willing to pay for the additional cost.

Very true, accept for the able part.

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2008, 7:04 PM
Very true, accept for the able part.

If you're in the market to build a 64 unit building, it's almost certainly cheaper and easier to build a huge 4 story building, rather than a more reasonable 8 stories.The fact of the matter is, real estate in Moncton is still very cheap compared to other cities. Although there are a few exceptions, we probably won't see any large-scale hi rise development until the cost of land rises significantly or council tries to force higher density.

That'd be neat...a minimum height for buildings..

Marcus99
Aug 19, 2008, 1:29 AM
Hey! just joined the forum, big fan of this kind of stuff Moncton's economic growth, etc...

Just bought a 12megapixel camera, Canon G9 so will be posting a lot of great shots from many angles and places,will take photos from my apartment on Main st.

mylesmalley
Aug 19, 2008, 1:46 AM
Hey! just joined the forum, big fan of this kind of stuff Moncton's economic growth, etc...

Just bought a 12megapixel camera, Canon G9 so will be posting a lot of great shots from many angles and places,will take photos from my apartment on Main st.

Welcome to the forums Marcus!

mmmatt
Aug 19, 2008, 4:04 AM

Welcome Marcus! :)

Looking forward to the photos