PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Just an Islander
Feb 20, 2014, 1:44 PM
Does anyone know of any new restaurants that have opened up in the Moncton area in the last few months that would be a food chain.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 20, 2014, 2:16 PM
I think the Mountain Road Swiss Chalet and Moxies are the newest chains Moncton if I'm not mistaken.

Steelcowboy
Feb 20, 2014, 3:55 PM
Although its been open for almost 1 year and here after Swiss Chalet and Moxie's. There's the chain from the GTA>>>St Louis bar and grill on Mountain rd.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 21, 2014, 9:01 PM
The CFC stone Church building located at 90 Park Street is for sale through Colliers. Its listed at 1/4 million. I hope something nice happens with it and that its not tore down. It's a beautiful building!

KnoxfordGuy
Feb 26, 2014, 1:47 PM
I'll put this number in the Moncton thread for you lucky people :)

I see that Moncton had a CMA population of ALMOST 145,000 people as of July 1st, 2013. That is pretty awesome. However, Saint John went down between July 2012 and 2013 to 127,883. I can't wait until Fredericton is a CMA! I want our nubmers too lol.

Here are the CMA numbers as of July 1st, 2013.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...26b001-eng.htm

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 26, 2014, 9:09 PM
I was checking out some photos of vintage Moncton and got stumped. What building is this:
http://vintagemoncton.com/wp-content/gallery/1890s/trishyoung8.jpg
I also really like this shot! You can see the spur line that was behind Assumption Place.
http://vintagemoncton.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/scan_pic0014.jpg

MonctonRad
Feb 26, 2014, 9:13 PM
The first building is the old Intercolonial Railways headquarters building. It used to be where Highfield Square is now.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 26, 2014, 9:56 PM
Wow. How could they tare down such a beautiful building like that! Moncton hasn't been very nice to its historic buildings or its environment in the past eh.

mylesmalley
Feb 26, 2014, 10:19 PM
I didn't know that the Delta was expanded.

MonctonRad
Feb 28, 2014, 4:15 PM
Conference Board of Canada Economic Projections for Greater Moncton:

Indicator______________________2013________________2014

Population 145,000 148,000
Real GDP $6.26 billion $6.38 billion
Total employment 73,000 74,000
Unemployment rate 6.5% 6.3%
Income per capita $36,831 $37,621
Housing starts 1,122 916
Retail sales $2.25 billion $2.35 billion

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 28, 2014, 6:32 PM
Wow. How could they tare down such a beautiful building like that! Moncton hasn't been very nice to its historic buildings or its environment in the past eh.

Agreed! Still blows my mind some of the structures that have been torn down in this city! :shrug:

swish
Feb 28, 2014, 8:40 PM
Yes unfortunately Moncton has been more interested in the latest trendy thing at the cost of its past heritage very sad.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 PM
I'd be surprised if Moncton High and Castle Manor aren't next on the demolition block...

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 1, 2014, 7:27 PM
I'd be surprised if Moncton High and Castle Manor aren't next on the demolition block...

How are they not designated heratige properties? They shouldn't be allowed to be touched in their appearance. I doubt the counsel would let them be torn down.

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 3, 2014, 4:24 PM
How are they not designated heratige properties? They shouldn't be allowed to be touched in their appearance. I doubt the counsel would let them be torn down.

I'm pretty sure that they are not designated, but someone in here may know better than I. :shrug:

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 3, 2014, 5:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that they are not designated, but someone in here may know better than I. :shrug:

Thats crazy! There is some buildings here in PEI that are really dumpy looking but just cause they are old they are heritage designated!

MonctonRad
Mar 7, 2014, 9:10 PM
from CBC:
Pepsi Closures in Dartmouth, Moncton Leave Dozens Jobless

Armour Logistics of Moncton will take over the work
By Paul Withers, CBC News Posted: Mar 07, 2014 11:31 AM AT
Last Updated: Mar 07, 2014 11:31 AM AT

Soft drinks giant Pepsi is shutting down its warehouse operations in Dartmouth and Moncton, throwing 43 people out of work.

"While these are difficult decisions, we are committed to supporting affected employees by offering packages and comprehensive career transition support," PepsiCo Beverages Canada spokesperson Sandy Lyver told CBC in an e-mailed statement on the shutdown.

Word of the layoffs at the Burnside operation spread late Thursday.

PepsiCo said Armour Logistics of Moncton will take over the work.

"This transition will enable us to stay competitive while meeting the needs of our business," Lyver wrote.

"PepsiCo Beverages Canada remains dedicated to serving its Atlantic Canada customers and consumers and employs approximately 369 people across the region."

Aside from a franchise bottling partner Cape Breton Beverage Ltd, the Burnside warehouse was the company's only operation in Nova Scotia.

Seems like good news, bad news for Moncton. While Pepsico will be closing down their local distribution business, Armour Logistics may be poised for expansion as a result. I wonder if the Pepsico employees will be offered positions at Armour…...

MonctonRad
Mar 10, 2014, 2:45 AM

Castle Manor is on the Registry of Historic Places
:http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=2733

Moncton High School is not…… :(

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 10, 2014, 2:28 PM
Castle Manor is on the Registry of Historic Places
:http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=2733

Moncton High School is not…… :(

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but when the department of education ceases to use this building, it becomes property of the department of public works. They then have to offer it to any other department to see if they have a use for it. They they don't, then they have to offer it to the City. Only THEN does it go for public auction. I think the city should look into buying it to preserve it and put out a tender for proposals for the reuse of it.

MonctonRad
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM
from today's T&T:

Moncton recognized as kid-friendly
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Times & Transcript
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12530

A new list by citiesjournal.com   shows Moncton ranks number seven in Canada as one of the “fun cities” for kids, the only metropolitan area in Atlantic Canada in the website’s top 17.

The website said “safety, education, and entertainment are important features for family friendly towns, and Canada has several cities with those features in abundance. Air quality, housing affordability, and childcare availability also tend to be important for many families.”

In citing our area, the website said, “families will enjoy their time in Moncton with the affordable cost of living that offers low housing costs and inexpensive gas. Average commuting time is also fairly short in Moncton and residents get to live in a town without much crime and some terrific outdoor opportunities for kids and families.”

Calgary topped the list, followed by Edmonton; Guelph, Ont.; Kitchener, Ont.; Vancouver; Barrie, Ont.; Moncton; Winnipeg; Oshawa, Ont.; Markham, Ont.; Blainville, Que.; St. Albert, Alta.; Strathcona County (Alberta); Terrebonne, Que.; Repentigny, Que.; Gatineau, Que.; and Regina.

Here's the actual link to the article:
http://www.citiesjournal.com/top-17-cities-and-towns-for-kids-in-canada/
Having raised three sons in Moncton, I can vouch for the fact that this is a great place to raise a family. There's a lot to do in the city (zoo, Magic Mountain, Crystal Palace, Wildcats/Miracles, theatres etc), the local minor sports programs are very well organized and there are excellent sports facilities (like the Four Ice Centre and Rocky Stone Field). Also, Shediac and Parlee Beach are right next door and Fundy Park and Kouchibouguac aren't far away at all.

BlackYear
Mar 15, 2014, 3:08 PM
Love looking at this photo. Two things stands out for me, color of the river, and the almost non existence of surface parking.

http://vintagemoncton.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/scan_pic0014.jpg

MonctonRad
Mar 15, 2014, 4:38 PM
Well, this is sad…..

Big changes coming to News 91.9

Station sold to Acadia Broadcasting
Jeannie MacGillivray
from the station currently known as News 91.9
Mar 14, 2014 04:15:40 PM

MONCTON, N.B. – The airwaves in Greater Moncton will sound a bit different later this year.

News 91.9, also known as CKNI-FM, has been purchased by Irving-owned Acadia Broadcasting from Rogers Communications.

Acadia says they plan to change from the current news/talk format to music.

They say the revamped CKNI-FM will be ready to launch mid-summer.

Acadia owns twelve stations in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario.

News 91.9 began broadcasting in 2005.

personal note - News 91.9 was always somewhat sparse as a news source, but it did provide an alternative to the CBC and the Irving controlled T&T. Now the media concentration of the Irving empire increases yet again, and apparently the format will change to music rather than news/talk/sports. We already have about a dozen music stations in Moncton as it is. Do we really need another? I imagine whatever genre they choose will already be covered by one or another other station. I suspect that since Irving will own the station that the Wildcats broadcasts will continue, but I imagine this will mean the end of Blue jays coverage on the radio in our market. :(

mylesmalley
Mar 15, 2014, 5:47 PM
I'm really not surprised. I was disappointed when I heard a few months ago that they were considering changing formats, but honestly, News919 has really gone down hill in the past year.

They tried to apply a format that I'm sure works well in larger centers, but I can't help laughing every time the 'traffic report' comes on and they warn us about moderate volumes on Weldon St. Then they fired half of their talk show staff a few months ago. What's left leaves a lot to be desired.

L'homard
Mar 15, 2014, 7:30 PM
Money talks. I strongly suspect that if there was any kind of coin to be made by broadcasting chat shows and by reading abridged versions of stories that they blatantly plagiarize from the local newspaper's website, then they'd not switch formats.
BTW, don't they have to apply to the CRTC to change formats? If anyone objects to the changeover, there is your opportunity to make your objection. Not sure it would help, but anyway.....
I did like their talk shows despite how they'd go off half-baked on subjects they know nothing about, as if they were experts. But I just enjoy talk shows. I remember the good Councillor Daniel Bourgeois spending an hour on their afternoon chat show explaining that he isn't necessarily against mega-concerts and stadiums, he just wants a proper accounting of the expenses so he can see if they are good value for the money. The broadcaster would have none of it and focused solely on Daniel as being "the councillor who is against concerts and stadiums," no matter how many times he was corrected. That's just one example. I finally stopped tuning in and, given the format change, suspect I'm not alone.

MonctonRad
Mar 16, 2014, 2:23 AM
from the City of Moncton website:

Community Open House for repurposing of Moncton Coliseum
March 14, 2014

MONCTON – The City of Moncton invites residents and media representatives to a community open house at Legends Lounge in the Moncton Coliseum on Tuesday, March 18 at 6 p.m. On the agenda will be the future use of the Moncton Coliseum Complex should the construction of a new Downtown Centre come to fruition.

Residents will have an opportunity to take a tour of the Coliseum Complex, which will be followed by a presentation by the project planning team on the options for repurposing the Coliseum. Residents will then have an opportunity to speak to members of the planning team about any aspect of the proposed options and share their ideas.

This is an opportunity for the community to view the options being considered for repurposing the Moncton Coliseum, which is part of the City’s due-diligence process in preparing for the possible construction of a new Downtown Centre.

Walk then Run
Mar 16, 2014, 7:23 PM
I don't know what the city planners have up their sleeves for the Coliseum's second life, but my two cents worth is to possibly team up with Magnetic Hill Zoo and create an indoor botanical garden with a restaurant and walking track (which I believe was proposed before).

This would add to the tourism impact the city already has and give the locals another thing to do all year round. To my knowledge I don't know of anything like this in Atlantic Canada, so why not. ;)

I wish I could attend the meeting, walk around. Anxious to hear about it if anyone goes.

Walk then Run
Mar 19, 2014, 9:56 PM
Did anyone here attend or know someone who made it to the community open house regarding the potential future use of the Coliseum? I'm curious as to what was proposed.

MonctonRad
Mar 20, 2014, 12:48 AM
I wasn't there, and it sounds like only about 20 people were, so I doubt that any contributors to the forum made it.

Here is the T&T article about the tour:

Coliseum could be big rec centre
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Times & Transcript
By: Alan Cochrane

If and when a new multi-use metro events centre is constructed in downtown Moncton, the 40-year-old Coliseum/Agrena complex should live on as a massive trade show and recreation facility, consultants said during a community open house last night.

“If the downtown centre is built, the trade show activity would not transfer to the downtown centre, but the big spectator events (like hockey, basketball and concerts) will transfer downtown,” said Conrad Boychuk, the director of recreation and venue development for CEI Architecture in Vancouver.

During last night’s open house, Boychuk presented four different options for repurposing the Coliseum. The options include leaving it as another hockey arena or removing the seats and ice surface to create better use of the available space for various forms of community recreation and trade shows.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12554

Walk then Run
Mar 21, 2014, 8:38 PM
Thanks for the post MonctonRad. Should be interesting, especially if the Events Center starts gaining steam.

CdnEh
Mar 22, 2014, 6:16 PM
Well, this is sad…..

Big changes coming to News 91.9

Station sold to Acadia Broadcasting
Jeannie MacGillivray
from the station currently known as News 91.9
Mar 14, 2014 04:15:40 PM

MONCTON, N.B. – The airwaves in Greater Moncton will sound a bit different later this year.

News 91.9, also known as CKNI-FM, has been purchased by Irving-owned Acadia Broadcasting from Rogers Communications.

Acadia says they plan to change from the current news/talk format to music.

They say the revamped CKNI-FM will be ready to launch mid-summer.

Acadia owns twelve stations in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Ontario.

News 91.9 began broadcasting in 2005.

personal note - News 91.9 was always somewhat sparse as a news source, but it did provide an alternative to the CBC and the Irving controlled T&T. Now the media concentration of the Irving empire increases yet again, and apparently the format will change to music rather than news/talk/sports. We already have about a dozen music stations in Moncton as it is. Do we really need another? I imagine whatever genre they choose will already be covered by one or another other station. I suspect that since Irving will own the station that the Wildcats broadcasts will continue, but I imagine this will mean the end of Blue jays coverage on the radio in our market. :(

Meh - Acadia Broadcasting stations seem to be pretty good. The Wave in Saint John is very listenable and the on-air personalities are great and long-term, not a revolving door of people in and out.

Much better than MBS Radio, who operates MAX 103.9, 99.9 Choix FM, and K94.5 in Moncton. MBS has had employees on strike at multiple stations for the past 22 months and has been pre-recording their shows and operating the stations remotely out of Halifax.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/striking-saint-john-radio-employees-to-mark-18-months-on-picket-line-1.1600974

Monctoncore
Mar 24, 2014, 7:18 PM
The Greater Moncton Sewerage Commission is taking steps to clean up the Petitcodiac River.

As it stands, wastewater effluent pumped into the Petitcodiac River undergoes only primary treatment — a process the involves removing solids that float or sink.

But the commission is taking steps to comply with the federal standards of secondary treatment by 2020, which would see dissolved organic material also removed.

The plan is to have construction start on a secondary treatment plant next year, and be in operation by 2018, said commission chairman Winston Pearce.

The wastewater treatment facility upgrade is estimated to cost $60 million, which may be covered by the city, or could include assistance from the provincial and federal governments, or a public-private partnership, he said.

Pearce says it's important to get the work done because the Petitcodiac is already drawing international surfers to ride the tidal bore.

"It didn't give me a great deal of satisfaction to see it, but that's OK, they're doing it. We're trying to fix the problem and we have made changes," he said. "We shut the plant down for a few hours when this is happening, just before the tide comes in, we shut it down and there are fewer problems."

The commission is looking to do ultraviolet treatment, said Pearce.

"What it does is it produces more of the solids, which we take out to the compost plant and we're going to probably produce 25 per cent more compost than we've been producing up to now," he said.

"Believe it or not, the compost plant produces about as much compost as it would take to fill a 100-car train" in a year

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-sewerage-commission-aims-to-clean-up-petitcodiac-river-1.2584193

MonctonRad
Mar 26, 2014, 3:12 AM
Reposted from the Downtown thread. It might be more appropriate here……..

Here is a link to the pdf of the presentation regarding the repurposing of the Moncton Coliseum if the downtown events centre goes ahead.

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Business+English/Downtown+Centre_ENG/Coliseum+Repurposing+Presentation.pdf

Some interesting reading here…….

MonctonRad
Mar 27, 2014, 1:29 PM
Moncton gets top billing for cost competitiveness
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Times & Transcript
By: Cole Hobson

For the second consecutive time, a KPMG study has named Moncton as the most cost-competitive city to do business in Canada.

Kevin Silliker, the city’s director of economic development, said they “couldn’t be happier”with the result,which he said reaffirms that Moncton is a“good place to establish your business, set up your business and expand your business.”

“I think that overall Atlantic Canada is a small marketplace … Moncton wants to help grow the overall pie of not only New Brunswick but also Atlantic Canada, so I think that news like this certainly bodes well for the region”he said. “We’re happy to be leading the pack again. We certainly do see ourselves as a centre of commerce, a centre of enterprise,a centre for startups.We’re definitely pleased that the region and Moncton has come out on top.”

KPMG has released the 2014 Competitive Alternatives report, which is an extensive study that compares business cost competitiveness in locations across Canada and more than 100 cities in 10 countries around the world.

Moncton came out on top for Canadian cities and also ranks fourth, behind only the two Mexican cities studied and Manchester in the United Kingdom, among all 107 featured cities.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12599

Monctoncore
Mar 27, 2014, 2:42 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/moncton-downtown-events-centermoncton

Feneant
Mar 29, 2014, 6:36 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/moncton-downtown-events-centermoncton

Thank you, is that the one CBC was referring to or is there another? Only the mayor seems to have a clue on the council. Rest of them are happy spending over 100k per extra seat over what we have now, that's absolutely nuts.

mylesmalley
Apr 1, 2014, 12:19 AM
Well I'll say one thing. Moncton in a power outage is pretty spooky. Looks like just about all of Dieppe except Acadie Ave south of Champlain is out. Mountain Road from Main to Vaughan Harvey is out. Downtown north of Queen...

Monctoncore
Apr 1, 2014, 2:48 PM
This is actually a really great idea, starting in Moncton and Finishing in Moncton.

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12629

A green light for ‘nature tourism’

Tuesday, April 01, 2014
Times & Transcript

‘Green tourism’has been much discussed and promoted in New Brunswick over the last decade but progress has been relatively slow in our view. Thus, it is certainly welcome news that international firm World Expeditions is adding the Fundy Footpath to its offerings.Given that the company includes such locations as Mount Everest on its tours, the company’s interest in the Fundy Coast adds new cachet to promotional efforts by the New Brunswick government to have the Fundy Coast recognized as one of the world’s greatest natural wonders.

World Expeditions is well named,asitisaglobalplayer inthe‘greentourism’industry and sees the potential of the Fundy Footpath, a 41-kilometre stretch of ‘expert’ trail connecting Fundy National Park to Big Salmon River along the longest, wildest stretch of undeveloped land on the Fundy Coast. What we particularly like about the vision of World Expeditions is an eight-day ‘green tourism’ package that begins and ends in Metro Moncton.

Monctoncore
Apr 1, 2014, 2:49 PM
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12630

Why is Moncton accepting ‘no’ as an answer?

Tuesday, April 01, 2014
Times & Transcript
By: Alec Bruce

Metro Moncton richly deserves its pride of place as one North America’s most attractive municipalities for businesses. In fact, according to a new KPMG report, pound-for pound, the Hub City might be the most free-enterprising on the continent.

As the 2014 Competitive Alternatives report states,“The cost leaders in the New England/Atlantic Canada region are the Atlantic Canada cities of Moncton, Charlottetown, and Fredericton, all with costs nine per cent or more below the U.S. baseline. Costs are somewhat higher in Halifax, St. John’s and Bangor, while Manchester (New Hampshire) and Burlington (Vermont) have the highest business costs among the smaller cities in this region.”

Monctoncore
Apr 1, 2014, 2:53 PM
Fifty jobs to be added in the tourism business in Moncton

Tuesday, April 01, 2014
The New acadie
By: Damien Dauphin

A North American company specializing in business travel installs a branch in Moncton . Premier David Alward made ​​the announcement Monday afternoon in a cozy room at the Delta Beauséjour.

Canada News: Damien Dauphin Prime Minister came to support the creation of 50 new jobs in Greater Moncton . - This is a David Alward who appeared visibly relaxed with Daniel Allain, Deputy Minister, Agency management and administration, and ministers Sue Stultz and Marie-Claude Blais, respectively deputies of Moncton West and of Moncton North. Stultz officiated as master of ceremonies.

"New Brunswick provides an environment for businesses to increase their success. Here today, HRG is an example by choosing to settle in New Brunswick, "she said in her introduction.

Hogg Robinson Group (HRG) is an international company headquartered in the United Kingdom. Its network extends to over 120 countries. Specializing in business and data management services and travel expenses, the firm recently won a seven-year contract with the federal government for a total of $ 211 million. Today she comes to settle in Moncton .

To support the creation of 50 permanent jobs over the next two years, Invest NB HRG grants financial assistance of up to $ 200,000 in the form of a rebate on wages.
"Once all positions have been filled, the investment will be an annual contribution of $ 1.8 million in gross domestic product of the province, "announced David Alward.

The Prime Minister thanked Greg Treasure, President HRG North America, for the collaboration that will be implemented so that the campus NBCC / CCNB and Oulton College to train a skilled workforce, including the ability to bilingualism was stressed.

"A bilingual workforce, employees taking their commitment seriously in their work, in addition to its expertise and capabilities, will ensure a strong future for HRG in the province", welcomed David Alward.

Greg Treasure welcomed NB investing has helped his company to install a new office in Moncton . It only remains to find the right candidates to cover positions that are open.

"The 50 people employed in New Brunswick will join a global and successful business, Mr. Treasure promises. They offer a first class service to our clients, for which we are recognized through the provision of advice our outstanding business travelers. " In an interview with the media after the press conference, the Prime Minister has not estimated that 50 jobs accounted for a small amount on the labor market. He was convinced to see HRG grow in the province and increase over time, the number of employees. According to him, this is a great opportunity to retain a qualified and bilingual region in the workforce.

This is translated from Acadie Nouvelle

Monctoncore
Apr 3, 2014, 5:41 PM
Great news for the cathedral on St. George, if I am correct, this was mentioned months ago but was not a done deal, well now it is and they plan on helping fund the 7 million needed to repair the church.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/historic-moncton-cathedral-saved-from-wrecking-ball-1.2596936

MonctonRad
Apr 3, 2014, 7:48 PM
:previous:

Indeed. The future of the cathedral now appears much more secure than it did last year. Getting the Acadian societies to pitch in by renting space in the cathedral is a very sound solution to fund the necessary renovations and repairs.

The article states that the groups are renting out space on the "ground floor". I presume they don't mean the sanctuary; perhaps the basement???

So, the cathedral is now safe. I presume that Moncton High School will also be saved in some manner due to governmental involvement. This just leaves Castle Manor at risk. Does anyone know what's happening there? I know that the owners received a conditional offer on the property when they got national attention over the fact that you could buy a castle in Moncton for less than the cost of a bungalow in Vancouver. I haven't heard anything since. Enquiring minds want to know…… :shrug:

NBNYer
Apr 22, 2014, 10:57 AM
Google streetview has been updated. The images look to be a bit less than 1 year old.

mylesmalley
Apr 22, 2014, 12:20 PM
Late summer, it appears. Good catch!

MonctonRad
Apr 24, 2014, 12:12 AM
from the City of Moncton's website:

Wild winter slows start of Moncton’s building season

April 22, 2014

MONCTON - A winter marked by unrelenting snowstorms, howling winds and freezing temperatures delayed the start of Moncton’s building season during the first quarter of the year. However, there were clear indications of a quick recovery by the end of March.

“Building permits were relatively solid in the first quarter despite the long and harsh winter", explained Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc. “We are pleased with the investment in residential and commercial projects and we expect to see things pick up significantly over the next number of weeks as we head into a busier time of year for construction".

In fact, March totals this year inched ahead by $603,920 over totals for March, 2013. Total number of building permits issued for March of this year amounted to $5,889,865 and the year-to-date total is $15,580,862.

However, that is down from $24,234,005 recorded at the end of March, 2013.

Commercial construction amounted for $680,500 of the March totals.

Heading the building permits in value was a $175,000 permit issued to Duparc Real Estate Group to conduct interior renovations to the basement, first and second floor of the building located at the corner of Main and Church streets, to create the restaurant Piatto Pizzeria and Enoteca.

The restaurant will serve authentic Neopolitan pizza and is set for a June 1 opening. Described by owner Brian Vallis as a “cool and hip” restaurant, it will feature an open mezzanine and an oven imported from Naples, Italy.

A building permit for $170,000 was issued to the Aberdeen Cultural Centre. Among the work being done is a complete overhaul of the third-floor of the multi-use theatre. The almost 100-year-old Botsford Street building is also getting a state of the art professional theatre for dance and other showcases.

Place Broadway at 700 St. George Blvd. has a permit for $140,000 to conduct renovations include fitting up Terra Verde.

Institutional construction amounted to $548,000 for March, led by a $523,000 permit to Moncton Hospital for interior renovations to an operating room.

Residential construction totaled $4,313,265.

February’s overall building statistics figures were down to $5,841,629 compared to last year’s total of $6,817,959.

February’s figures were bolstered by a $5,000,000 building permit issued to Merchants Bank Developments Ltd. at 230 Frenette Avenue for the construction of a 100,000 square foot warehouse.

Another $125,000 went to for a permit to start renovation work at the Capitol Theatre that will ultimately see $500,000 in upgrades.

January’s building permits were down to 26 from the previous year’s 45. Total value this year for January was $3,849,368, compared to $12,130.101 for the same period in 2013.

“There are a number of big projects in the works for 2014, so we are confident our construction season will take a considerable hike over the next quarter of the year as winter eases and our builders can get started on outdoor projects,” said Kevin Silliker, director of economic development for the City of Moncton.

Monctoncore
May 2, 2014, 5:54 PM
So the other day the government was asked what was to be done with Moncton High, the said they had something in the works... now this article comes out, obviously they had nothing in the works and now its going up for sale.

http://www.news919.com/2014/05/02/moncton-high-school-building-officially-on-the-market/

MonctonRad
May 2, 2014, 8:54 PM

Interesting:

So, we can presume that the restrictions placed on the RFP by the province for repurposing the old MHS obviously were too onerous for any developer to consider.

This is very bad news. Now they are going to try and sell the property on the cheap, hoping that someone, anyone will take it off their hands. :hell:

I predict the property will be allowed to go fallow for several years - just long enough to allow the populace to despair over the fate of the building; and then some "white knight" will come along with a hair brained proposal to turn the building into a flea market (but at the same time arguing that they will maintain the "architectural integrity" of the building). Finally, after a couple of years of dodgy ownership, an "electrical fire" will occur razing the property to the ground; allowing the development of yet another surface parking lot for the downtown.

And so will end the long and storied history of MHS - in conflagration and ignominy. :hell:

MonctonRad
May 6, 2014, 8:04 PM
From today's T&T:

Moncton tourism grows in tough times
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12749

The Moncton area has once again bucked a falling trend when it comes to tourism in Atlantic Canada, according to a veteran tourism industry consultant.

Rod Cunningham, the president of McKellar, Cunningham and Associates, went before Moncton city council last night to deliver a good news/ bad news look at tourism in 2013.

When you look at the state of the industry in Atlantic Canada, “don’t judge it by what’s going on in Moncton,” Cunningham warned.“It has not gone well in the Maritimes the past five years.”

Of the five major tourism centres, four saw hotel room sales fall in 2013 compared to 2012. But while Halifax, Charlottetown, Saint John and Fredericton all saw slides, Moncton’s room sales grew by 8,000 room nights, this despite the fact the previous year had also seen growth over the year before that.

Not that Moncton’s ride wasn’t bumpy too. The first part of the year started out slowly but the second half surged, Cunningham said.

“You had an ominous beginning, but a happy ending,” he told council. “It looked like you were about to lose all the ground you’d gained in the past few years.”

The Moncton area, despite the lack of a major outdoor concert last year, managed to turn it around especially in July and August. “You ran at 82 per cent (accommodations) occupancy,”he said, calling that the equivalent of essentially being sold out in the hotel industry.

Last year’s CFL game took place in September, so it doesn’t explain the booming July and August either, though the ever popular and ever growing Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza was of course a big help in July. As has been noted before over the years, the Atlantic Nationals also does a good job of drawing a demographic that will attend the show and then has the time and money to make Moncton their base for a tour of the Maritimes.

Whatever the causes of last summer’s success, “that was the best performance by a Maritime destination in a decade,” he noted.

To some extent, even the tourism expert was baffled by our continued strong performance, he admitted.

“There’s no reason Moncton should have run at 82 per cent in July and August, when Halifax had its worst summer ever.”

Because the Maritimes is a market in trouble overall, Cunningham said the only way a centre like Moncton has been able to gain market share is by taking it from other centres in the region.

“The problem you have is the provinces are not delivering the traffic,” he said, adding that Moncton’s happy experience has been an ability to steal those room nights away from the other centres. That might explain how Moncton grew 8,000 room nights while Halifax alone lost 16,000.

The tourism expert did offer four observations of key ways Metro has succeeded.

First we’re not dependent on a single market of travellers. Instead of say, relying heavily on the tour bus market, we have that, but also other types of travellers from around the region, from the rest of Canada and abroad, as well as peak season and off season travellers.

He also said when it comes to the accommodations business, “you have a skilled industry here that knows how to price right.”

He explained pricing of hotel rooms is a very complex business and suggested Halifax for instance, is overpriced.

“There’s a very price sensitive component of the market,” he explained, noting the same people who will decide to stay an extra night in Moncton because their room costs about $100 will not stay the extra night in Halifax where rooms are about $200 a night. And once they’ve decided to drive home to spend a night in their own beds, they’re no longer in Halifax spending their money in restaurants or on entertainment or shopping.

Third, our “attractions are not burning out,” he said. He praised local attractions for regularly investing in improvements and making efforts to stay fresh.

By contrast, he said a number of traditionally popular attractions in the Maritimes have not done so and he used Fortress Louisburg as an example saying for about 15 years it had seen declining visits and had failed to do much about it. He noted however the historic Cape Breton site did manage to leverage its 300th anniversary with a new emphasis on programming and marketing and turn things around.

But if Moncton’s attractions are doing a good job, the Magnetic Hill Zoo was at the top of the heap, with a 17 per cent growth in attendance last year.

In response to Cunningham’s report Mayor George LeBlanc voiced his appreciation of the success of the zoo Zoo manager Bruce Dougan was attending the council meeting because a tender award for Phase 3 of the new Amur tiger exhibit was also on the agenda.

“I want to take the opportunity to congratulate you for your leadership and your team for their hard work We’ve had a very glowing review of tourism here tonight and the zoo continues to excel,” LeBlanc told Dougan “You’re doing everything Mr. Cunnigham said tonight.”

And while this aspect of Metro Moncton’s appeal doesn’t translate into hotel rentals, the fourth reason Cunningham identified for our area’s success is the fact we are centrally located and offering the amenities to be an attractive “day’s drive” destination, a good place for people from around the region to visit for the day.

MonctonRad
May 8, 2014, 12:24 AM
Editorial in todays T&T regarding the above article:

One purple violet among the onions
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Times & Transcript
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12756

A presentation to Moncton City Council this week supports what we have believed all along: that ‘retail destination tourism’ is an undervalued part of the civic economy that will likely continue to grow – so long as we never rest on our laurels and more importantly, keep municipal politics out of it.

Let us put in stark contrast council’s grindingly slow progress on an events centre and complete lack of a pulse for the now-moribund Magnetic Hill Music Festival against the larger city’s phenomenal success with the kind of retail development that draws people here from all over the Maritimes. This, to the tune of more than 80 per cent occupancy for Metro hotels in an era when all other large Maritime cities are losing ground.

Certainly credit is due such traditional and evidently supremely durable draws as Magic Mountain and the Magnetic Hill Zoo (the new tigers are great but manager Bruce Dougan deserves a pair of giraffes or rhinoceroses next) and exciting new ones like Casino New Brunswick.

But what gets New Brunswickers really talking about Metro? Look no further than the frothy excitement surrounding the arrival of outdoor speciality mega-shop Cabela’s next year and even the possible addition of its global rival Bass Pro Shops. Think of the buzz surrounding the impending arrival of lingerie giant Victoria’s Secret: the Metro shopping world’s worst kept secret indeed.

These great new developments occur against a backdrop of such enduring successes as Moncton’s Costco store – said to draw three times the traffic of either the Saint John or Fredericton outlets – and smaller, generational businesses like Colpitts Mens Wear.Folks literally do come from miles around to shop, eat and stay the night in Metro.

What it tells us is that the future of tourism will remain in good hands if it is kept away from government and left with the people who know what they’re doing: the business community and Enterprise Greater Moncton. As they say, less government is more.

To my mind, Moncton has a very diversified tourism base:

- there is the retail tourism alluded to above, which will only get stronger in the future, especially if BPS comes on board (as well as, if I dare say it, a Tanger Factory Outlet development - purely speculative). :rolleyes:
- there is also recreational sports tourism, which is particularly welcome in the off season, strengthened by our ability to host large tournaments with the 4-Ice Centre, the CN Sportsplex and our other facilities like the CEPS and the velodrome in Dieppe. Sports tourism draws entire families to the city for extended periods of time.
- sports tourism also encompasses certain aspects of events tourism such as the upcoming FIFA events, as well as past events like the CFL games and the World Men's Curling Championships, the IAAF U18 World Track & Field Championships and the Memorial Cup. Moncton has developed a reputation for this both regionally and nationally.
- traditional family tourism does well with family friendly attractions such as the zoo, Magic Mountain and Parlee Beach, and also special events like the Atlantic Nationals. These attractions bring people from around the region to Moncton.
- for people from further afield, Moncton's central location is a draw in itself. It is very easy to do day trips from Moncton to many other parts of the central Maritimes, so people might consider spending several days in Moncton instead of vagabonding from place to place every night. In some ways this would be more relaxing than packing and unpacking every night.

- all these sectors are doing well, and in many ways all these different tourism strengths feed off one another. The only tourism sector falling flat these days is entertainment tourism. Magnetic Hill needs a major annual music festival like Osheaga. The downtown events centre needs to be built so that major touring acts will return again to the city. Our reputation as an entertainment hotbed must be reestablished.

The casino does well as a venue for medium sized show, but it desperately needs to be supplemented by a new downtown events centre and a revitalized Magnetic Hill concert site. If this happens, then Moncton's long term tourism future will definitely be secured!. :tup:

riverviewer
May 8, 2014, 11:18 AM
[B].
Times & Transcript http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12756

.... in stark contrast council’s grindingly slow progress on an events centre and complete lack of a pulse for the now-moribund Magnetic Hill Music Festival against the larger city’s phenomenal success with the kind of retail development that draws people here from all over the Maritimes.

What it tells us is that the future of tourism will remain in good hands if it is kept away from government and left with the people who know what they’re doing: the business community and Enterprise Greater Moncton. As they say, less government is more.:

What are they saying here? That Government shouldn't invest in tourism? Is Business offering the millions of dollars to build the arena and bring the big acts? I'm sure Government isn't standing in their way. The fact that business isn't fronting the money, and instead wants hand-outs from the tax-payers is not the fault of too much government. Rather it speaks to too little subsidization on risky business ventures by government.

I'm all for business building whatever makes profit for business. But it is irrelevant to the argument around citizens building infrastructure for social benefit.

Monctoncore
May 15, 2014, 10:20 PM
Interesting fact, I was looking at the Fifa under 20's tickets and sections 2 to 6 are already sold out including the vip section. That is for the England vs korea match and Mexico vs Nigeria.

You can see hear that quite a few seats are already sold! Great news!

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/match-05-eng-v-kor-moncton-new-brunswick-08-06-2014/event/10004B6D4A39DBB4?artistid=1928863&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11&tm_link=artist_msg-0_10004B6D4A39DBB4

MonctonRad
May 16, 2014, 2:18 AM
Further to the above

Artificial turf laid at stadium
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Times & Transcript
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12780

Turf Masters owner Andy Streatch is not just idly boasting when he says that the artificial turf now being installed at the Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium is the absolute best in the world.

"Artificial turf comes in many forms and quality, and FIFA has requested specifically the FieldTurf Revolution,“ said Streatch.

FieldTurf is the most expensive level of turf available, and it will be used for the upcoming FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada in August of this year and for the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada in June and July of 2015.

Yesterday, crews began installing and sewing together the giant rolls of the patented product. The painstaking process can easily be affected by weather in general, but especially wind. If wind gets underneath the turf and rolls it up, getting it back in place and the ground underneath it properly prepared is a major endeavour. Streatch said it will take three to four weeks to complete the job.

Stéphane Delisle, venue general manager in Moncton for both women’s FIFA events, says that the work being done and the resulting quality of the stadium field will benefit the local community well into the future.

“Laying the artificial turf is a very important milestone for Moncton as an official host city of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014 and FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015. It is exciting to see the first pieces of turf being sown together. The turf, along with the equipment to maintain it, will be one of the most tangible legacies left to the City of Moncton,” said Delisle.

The grass field at the stadium needed to be replaced with artificial turf so that all venues had the same playing surface.

“Artificial turf is a requirement to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015, to ensure all athletes compete on the same surface across Canada. Locally, artificial turf will also enable athletes, including Université de Moncton’s Aigles Bleu(e)s and local community sports groups, to take advantage of a longer outdoor season and more hours of access to Moncton Stadium,”said Delisle.

FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014 will take place from Aug. 5 to 24, and Moncton is one of four host cities, along with Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. Moncton will host eight matches over five days, including a quarter-final and semifinal, with games taking place on Aug. 6, 9, 12, 17 and 20.

Tickets can be purchased online at FIFA.com/canada2014 or by calling 1-855-915-2015.

mylesmalley
May 16, 2014, 12:32 PM
Surely... SURELY there has to be a better name for that place than Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium.

Nashe
May 16, 2014, 1:03 PM
Surely... SURELY there has to be a better name for that place than Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium.
Our penchant for making names bilingual instead of having both an English and French name makes a lot of em come out odd. The website for the Farmer's Market in Moncton is "www.marchemonctonmarket.ca" for example.

habs33
May 16, 2014, 1:54 PM
it's not the Stade ... Stadium part that is odd, it's the Moncton 2010 part.

L'homard
May 16, 2014, 2:03 PM
Totally agree. It's ludicrous.
Stade Romeo LeBlanc Stadium.
Stade Moncton Stadium.
Stade Anything Stadium.

BlackYear
May 16, 2014, 2:11 PM
Exactly, just get rid of the 2010 already.

I got myself some front row seats on the center line for the Sat and Sun games. They had presales last week for Visa card holders, Groups, etc. General public went on sale a couple of days after that. :yes:

mylesmalley
May 16, 2014, 2:59 PM
Yeah, the bilingual part doesn't bother me at all. It seems that they wanted to connect it with the 2010 IAAF track games, but just tacking a year number on there makes no sense.

David_99
May 16, 2014, 4:11 PM
Yeah, the bilingual part doesn't bother me at all. It seems that they wanted to connect it with the 2010 IAAF track games, but just tacking a year number on there makes no sense.

Yeah, put a small "Est. 2010" in the logo or whatever but don't put it in the freakin name.

MonctonRad
May 28, 2014, 3:38 PM
Karma Gaming expands to Moncton, creating 26 jobs

Invest NB will provide payroll rebate of up to $350K to Halifax-based company
CBC News
Last Updated: May 27, 2014 4:53 PM AT

Karma Gaming International is opening a new development studio in Moncton with help from the New Brunswick government, officials announced on Tuesday. Twitter

A Halifax-based gaming company plans to expand into Moncton, creating up to 26 full-time jobs over the next three years with help from the New Brunswick government.

Karma Gaming International, which specializes in web-based products for the regulated lottery industry, will be opening a new development studio in the city, officials announced on Tuesday.

Invest NB will provide a payroll rebate of up to $350,000 over four years to support the positions, which will include game designers, programmers and HTML5 developers.

"Creating jobs that will provide opportunities for talented New Brunswickers to work here at home is the foundation of our plan to grow our communities,” Premier David Alward said in a statement.

The investment will contribute an estimated $1.4 million to the province's gross domestic product annually, once all of the positions have been filled, government officials said.

“Lotteries all over the world are looking to revitalize their product offerings and become relevant to a digital generation,” said company CEO Paul LeBlanc.

“We are focused on meeting the needs of this demographic. Having access to the tech community in Greater Moncton and an experienced workforce in the regulated lottery industry is a tremendous advantage to our company," he said.

Karma Gaming seems to be part of a growing trend in Moncton, said Nora Lacey, director of research and marketing for Invest NB.

"What we've seen over the last 12 to 18 months is a bit of a cluster in the gaming sector. Typically it's quality assurance and testing and that seems to be happening in the Moncton area," Lacey told CBC News.

"We've had four announcements now with similar types of companies, all doing quality testing for gaming, video and lottery. And so it's certainly a sub-sector that we're interested in developing further."

MonctonRad
May 30, 2014, 9:49 PM

Further to the above, CBC reported today that with this announcement, there will be 100 companies of varying size employing over 3,000 people in the gaming industry in greater Moncton. Many of these jobs are in manufacturing, quality control, marketing and sales and thus are well paying permanent jobs which contribute significantly to the local economy.

Gaming has become an important component to our business community over the course of the last 10-15 years. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 4, 2014, 4:03 PM
It appears they are building some kind of walking trail from just behind the first apartment building on Connaught, after the Wheeler overpass...along the fence on that side of Wheeler. Perhaps to connect the new apartment buildings to the main street?

It's almost complete by the look of it... :tup:

MountPleasant
Jun 5, 2014, 12:23 PM
Horrible news, stay safe.
Much love, Moncton.

Smevo
Jun 5, 2014, 8:02 PM
Stay safe everyone! I'm watching the updates and hoping for a resolution soon!

Walk then Run
Jun 5, 2014, 8:09 PM
To my home town folks and Codiac RCMP officers (uncle and friend)...my thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

MonctonRad
Jun 6, 2014, 7:38 AM

Got the bastard!! :tup:

Fischbob
Jun 6, 2014, 3:57 PM
Glad to hear it ended peacefully, and that as always, the RCMP got their man in the end! My thoughts remain with all Monctonians - especially the dead and wounded officers, their family and friends - as the healing process begins.

I'll add no more, because I think your motto says it best: Resurgo :heart:

MonctonRad
Jun 17, 2014, 11:43 PM
Moncton council pursues centre of curling excellence
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Moncton city council has voted unanimously to throw its support behind a plan to make the city a centre of curling excellence.

At last night’s public meeting of council, the councillors approved something discussed at a private meeting on June 11, three actions that will help Curl Moncton double the number of ice sheets at the Beauséjour Curling Club from five to 10.

First is the donation of City of Moncton-owned land, valued at $250,000, to give the Beauséjour rink, at 80 Lockhart Ave., the room to expand.

Second, the city will provide an immediate $238,000, 10-year repayable loan, to be repaid through equal annual payments at no interest but with appropriate security on that portion. One of Curl Moncton’s two other properties, either the Beaver Curling Club or Moncton Curlers Association club, will be the security or collateral. The loan and matter of collateral will be firmed up only if Curl Moncton manages to secure other funding for the project and goes ahead with it.

Third, the City of Moncton will provide another $605,837 interest-free, 10-year repayable loan to be repaid through equal annual payments. This will be used for municipal infrastructure relocations, parking lot design and paving costs once the project is a go and all other funding is in place.

Curl Moncton’s goal is to continue creating a centre of excellence and enhance the training for New Brunswick competitive curlers. They hope the measure will also help preserve curling in Moncton as well as place Moncton in the forefront for curling in Atlantic Canada.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13069

FarmerTom
Jun 18, 2014, 9:10 PM
Not sure why they are spending huge money to add more sheets, when they closed the beaver curling club. Its sitting there use it instead

MonctonRad
Jun 18, 2014, 10:24 PM
Metro ranks well in business tax competitiveness
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Eric Lewis

Metro Moncton is ranked second in Canada in terms of its“business tax competitiveness”in a new study compiled by KPMG.

Yesterday, KPMG – an audit, tax and advisory firm – issued the Competitive Alternatives 2014: Focus on Tax report, a study that compares business tax competitiveness in locations across Canada and in more than 100 cities among 10 countries.

Four of the top five Canadian cities are located in Atlantic Canada. While it’s Moncton that is ranked second, Brent Spencer, KPMG office managing partner in New Brunswick,said that includes the surrounding area.

Edmonton came in tops among the 15 Canadian cities profiled this year in the biennial study, with Moncton at a close second and Fredericton third, followed by St. John’s and Halifax. The study also confirmed that all Canadian cities studied are more tax competitive than the most tax competitive U.S. city.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13080

MonctonRad
Jun 20, 2014, 12:29 AM
Here is the new website for 3+ Corporation (Enterprise Greater Moncton):
http://www.3plus.ca/#about

I stole this image form their new website. It is about the best aerial perspective I have ever seen of the downtown core. It gives the visual impression of density and in some trick of photography (mostly perspective and telephoto lens), does an admirable job of hiding the blight of surface parking in the core. :tup:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/53330c79e4b06945e5d103dc/t/53969ccce4b0ce1df11cf7d7/1402379476389/Moncton?format=1500w

NBNYer
Jun 20, 2014, 11:23 AM
Great shot. Thanks for sharing, MonctonRad.

Downtown sure has it's challenges, but I've noticed it is getting busier. The foot traffic on Main can be huge, it's not given enough credit sometimes on here.

Sunnybrae
Jun 20, 2014, 12:04 PM
I gotta say though that the Assumption Place building looks like a big tombstone. Too bad they couldn't update it somehow.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 20, 2014, 3:39 PM
I gotta say though that the Assumption Place building looks like a big tombstone. Too bad they couldn't update it somehow.

Yeah it's pretty hard to update building like that! The old Dominion building in Charlottetown recently went through a revocation and it is almost the same and they even gutting the building. Unless you stripped it down to the beams it's probably going to stay looking like a Tombstone :(

NBNYer
Jun 20, 2014, 4:04 PM
Yeah it's pretty hard to update building like that! The old Dominion building in Charlottetown recently went through a revocation and it is almost the same and they even gutting the building. Unless you stripped it down to the beams it's probably going to stay looking like a Tombstone :(

Not necessarily. They could redo the windowed facades and add a glass curtain wall. It might end up looking like a mini UN headquarters building.

http://www.unaaqld.org.au/wp-content/gallery/icons_gallery/un-headquarters.jpg

Taeolas
Jun 20, 2014, 4:23 PM
Or just build more similarly tall buildings around it. Part of the reason it looks like a tombstone is because it towers over everything else. If it had a variety of similarly sized bretheren around it, it wouldn't look as bad in context.

Sunnybrae
Jun 20, 2014, 4:26 PM

Well the Bell Alliant tower received a makeover and it looks really good, and they didn't need to strip it down to the core..... I think. Maybe it just needs a really good cleaning. :shrug:

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 20, 2014, 7:55 PM
It would help for sure if there was other towers in Moncton!

mylesmalley
Jun 21, 2014, 1:00 AM
I feel like I'm the only one on here who likes brutalist architecture :( Agreed on needing more towers though.

MonctonRad
Jun 21, 2014, 2:40 AM
I have always thought of the Assumption Building as being a large phallus (a concrete brutalist phallus at that) thrust upwards into the heavens in the centre of downtown Moncton. It makes a statement all right - just a very unfortunate statement…….

The building is completely out of scale with the remainder of the core, and is so ugly that it literally brings tears to ones eyes. Unfortunately, it isn't going to go away, and the best we can hope for is that it will eventually get hidden by other surrounding tall buildings as the downtown grows. This unfortunately will take centuries to occur……. :(

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 21, 2014, 4:54 PM
It's funny that it was built a while ago but there hasn't really even been any proposals to build something to even come close to being as tall as it.

Sunnybrae
Jun 21, 2014, 11:20 PM
I have always hoped for a 10 or 15 story residential building downtown but around here, condo style apartments seem to be the preferred choice. I tried once to get a top floor apartment on Lorentz Dr. but they rarely become available. It's interesting that they use to build apartment buildings 5+ story but not anymore. :(

mikeohara
Jun 27, 2014, 1:30 PM
Are they tearing down the parking garage behind the Crowne Plaza on Main & Highfield?

MonctonRad
Jun 27, 2014, 1:36 PM
Are they tearing down the parking garage behind the Crowne Plaza on Main & Highfield?

Yes

MonctonRad
Jun 29, 2014, 6:26 PM
Photo of the Moncton 2010 Stadium showing the new artificial turf infield that has been installed for the upcoming FIFA tournaments this year and next.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202014/42CB760B-D36F-447D-AB8A-3C1E4205693A-3443-0000052AA18E97CF_zps1cf46944.jpg

benvui
Jul 17, 2014, 12:18 PM
GTECH (the company that bought Spielo) has acquired IGT, the largest producer of casino slot machines in the world. GTECH is a world leader in VLT and combined with IGT will create a company that has an end to end solution.

I work for GTECH in Moncton and there has been no word yet on what that will mean for employees here. There will be some overlap and some cuts but no word on where they will be yet.

Here (http://www.gamingintelligence.com/manda/26895-gtech-creates-new-global-gaming-giant-with-6-4bn-igt-acquisition) is an article about the deal

MonctonRad
Jul 17, 2014, 1:44 PM

Well, at least it's GTech doing the buying out and not the other way around.

Also, the Moncton plant has not suffered (AFAIK) since the buyout of Speilo, so maybe any adjustments here in Moncton may not be so bad. You never know, perhaps this is an opportunity for further growth in the future.......

benvui
Jul 17, 2014, 6:42 PM
It will be some time before we know the fallout of the acquisition. Nothing will be announced until after the sale is final (expected Q1 2015) and after that they expect at least 4 years before the integration to be completed and that maybe generous. I think when GTECH bought Spielo there was less overlap because at the time GTECH did not produce VLTs and that is all that Spielo did. Since then the company has acquired other companies and has grown to cover all markets (some better than others) so there will be some overlap but again, there is no indication if it will affect the jobs here in Moncton or if the combination of departments will happen in other offices around the world.
It is definitely interesting to be a part of this as the company will become a world leader in all aspects of the gaming industry and they will continue to have an office here in Moncton.

Gnarly
Jul 22, 2014, 1:32 AM
Canada's premier marching band is coming to the Moncton area this summer.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-07-20/article-3807341/Burlington-Teen-Tour-Band-coming-to-the-Gold-Cup-Parade/1

It will be nice to be 'down East' again.

RaginRonic
Jul 31, 2014, 1:25 PM
Some disappointing news...

https://twitter.com/NickMooreCTV/status/494834399268311041

NEW: Dieppe's Crystal Palace amusement park closing Sept. 1. Being replaced with new Bas Pro Shops, Cadillac Fairview confirms.

Blue Blazer
Jul 31, 2014, 1:47 PM
Some disappointing news...

https://twitter.com/NickMooreCTV/status/494834399268311041

I heard the hotel is closing as well is this true ? i cant bring up twitter at work

mctnguy
Jul 31, 2014, 1:56 PM
http://www.news919.com/2014/07/31/crystal-palace-complex-to-close/

"DIEPPE, NB–The new Bass Pro Shops location in Greater Moncton has been revealed, but it will mean the end of another iconic attraction in the region.

The 110-thousand square-foot outdoor retailer will be taking over a potion of the Crystal Palace complex near Champlain Place in Dieppe.

That means the Crystal Palace Amusement Park will close at the end of August along with the Ramada Plaza Crystal Palace Hotel and Convention Centre and McGinnis Landing Restaurant which will cease operations at the end of October.

Bass Pro Shops stores offer a retail experience, but also host free events to help families have fun while learning how to better enjoy the outdoors through hunting, fishing, camping, boating, hiking, outdoor cooking or other activities.

There has been no word yet on any job losses resulting from the takeover.

The Maritime Fun group of companies has acquired the rides. Maritime Fun owns Magic Mountain Waterpark in Moncton, and Shining Waters and Sandspit , which are located in Cavendish, PEI."

mctnguy
Jul 31, 2014, 2:59 PM
Champlain Place to welcome New Brunswick’s first Bass Pro Shops store

http://cadillacfairview.com/notesdata/hr/CF_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/Champlain+Place+to+welcome+New+Brunswick%E2%80%99s+first+Bass+Pro+Shops+store

MonctonRad
Aug 1, 2014, 12:50 AM
MONCTON ECONOMY TO GROW THIS YEAR: REPORT
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Tess Allen

The city’s economy is poised for growth in 2014, according to a new report from the Conference Board of Canada.

In its newly released Metropolitan Outlook for summer 2014, Moncton’s real gross domestic product is expected to grow by 2.1 per cent this year, up from 1.2 per cent in 2013, thanks to a modest recovery in construction and decent gains in the finance, insurance and real estate sector.

“There’s lots to be positive about Moncton,” said Jane McIntyre, economist with the Conference Board of Canada responsible for the Moncton forecast.

While the finance, insurance, and real estate sector will “lead the way” this year, the report states that decent gains are also expected for the primary and utilities sector, the transportation and warehousing sector, and wholesale and retail trade.

Growth in manufacturing output will remain muted this year at 0.9 per cent, states the report, indicating that weaker demand at home and south of the border following a post-recession surge are the main factors behind this industry’s weakness.

“While demand is expected to pick up in 2014, the manufacturing industry will be hampered by the closure of Maple Leaf’s Moncton plant – a move that will lead to more than 450 layoffs,” it states, adding, however, that continued improvements in demand should contribute to a “3.8 per cent increase in manufacturing output in 2015.”

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13421

Good2go
Aug 6, 2014, 8:30 PM
Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC
Moncton's Castle Manor has officially sold, says realtor Kathy Guitard. No details being released. Had been listed at $699,900.

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 6, 2014, 9:11 PM
Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon‏ @BJMCBC
Moncton's Castle Manor has officially sold, says realtor Kathy Guitard. No details being released. Had been listed at $699,900.

Hopefully this is good news. I wonder who bought it.

MonctonRad
Aug 7, 2014, 1:35 AM
Here's the full CBC story:

Moncton's Castle Manor has been sold
No details being released, but historic landmark building had been listed at $699,900
CBC News Posted: Aug 06, 2014 5:57 PM AT
Last Updated: Aug 06, 2014 5:57 PM AT

Moncton's historic Castle Manor has a new owner, says realtor Kathy Guitard.

"I am happy to announce our wonderful castle has all conditions removed from the agreement to purchase so it is officially sold," she stated in a release late Wednesday afternoon.

No details about the terms of the sale are being released, she said.

"There will be an announcement made once the property closes," said Guitard, adding she is unable to disclose when that will be.

The landmark building, located on Mountain Road, had been listed at $699,900.

It went on the market in January and Guitard accepted a conditional offer a short time later.

At that time, Guitard had estimated it would cost between $500,000 and $1.5 million to restore the Gothic Revival-style structure, built in the early 1900s.

It had been vacant for several years.

The real estate listing, which referred to the building as a "must see" for developers looking for a multi-unit project, special care home or bed and breakfast, had captured national attention.

The website of the Vancouver newspaper The Province featured a story about the sale, showing the 19,000 sq. ft. building is more affordable than some bungalows in the city's east end.

Castle Manor, which formerly housed a Catholic school, has a chapel on site, original mill work and stained glass.

It was put up for public auction in May 2013 after the former owner defaulted on the mortgage, but there were no bids.

A Toronto-based development company was the latest owner.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1209674.1407358351!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/hi-nb-castle-manor-moncton.jpg

MonctonRad
Aug 9, 2014, 1:24 PM
News 91.9 is no more. It has been replaced by CKNI 91.9 - The Bend.. The new station will be Top 40 I believe, but promises to "carry on" the tradition of local news coverage established by it's predecessor.

Not a bad name actually. It is a bit sad to see News 91.9 go, but really, over the last couple of years it has been dominated by talk radio based out of Halifax focussing mostly on issues of interest to the HRM. Local news was pretty limited, and there wasn't really any local phone in shows any more either.

I wonder if the new station will carry on the tradition of carrying Moncton Wildcats games?

Website - http://www.919thebend.ca

MonctonRad
Aug 10, 2014, 1:21 AM
A few pictures of the Moncton Stadium during the England vs Mexico round robin match earlier today:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/FFC80A7C-F993-461F-BD2C-A102748E7C45.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/5ED696B9-A1E5-4B54-9E22-A4D15935C55F.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/6A3CDF7A-1B61-405A-AD1A-67DBB3A94660.jpg

The teams played to a 1-1 draw. The game was moderately entertaining at times, but I must admit I am not really a soccer fan. Hockey and Canadian football are much more to my liking.

The crowd in the opposite stands looks sparse, but as usual, there were more people in the western grandstand than the east one. I would estimate there may have been 3,500 at the game. I watched the Canada vs Ghana game on TV from the "National Soccer Stadium" in Toronto last week, and despite the home country playing, BMO Field only looked about half full of spectators, so I am not surprised. I expect attendance will be higher for the quarter and semi final games at the Moncton Stadium later next week and the week after that.

JHikka
Aug 10, 2014, 5:45 PM
The crowd in the opposite stands looks sparse, but as usual, there were more people in the western grandstand than the east one. I would estimate there may have been 3,500 at the game.

Official attendance was 4,636. They used identical attendance figures for games on the same days.

Average attendances at the four locations after four games each:

Toronto........15,669
Edmonton......10,063
Montreal........5,828
Moncton........4,112

MonctonRad
Aug 10, 2014, 7:12 PM
Official attendance was 4,636. They used identical attendance figures for games on the same days.

That's probably because they sell day passes only. The tickets are good for both games each day. There were a lot of people who left after the England/Mexico game (moi included), so I imagine the attendance for the Korea/Nigeria game the same day was a lot less. Of course some people would have stayed for both games.

Thanks for providing the attendance figures for each venue JHikka. Given the size of the individual stadiums and the other cities hosting the event, I think Moncton isn't doing too bad at all. :)