PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

otnemarcaS
Jan 31, 2007, 8:31 AM
With all the new restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, lounges, galleries and other entertainment opening up in downtown/midtown Sacramento, I thought we should have a dedicated thread for it.

Earlier this evening, I was driving down J street towards Alhambra and later back up K to L to I-5. Just saw the McCormick and Schmick's on J from outside looking in. Should be a sweet restaurant once it opens next month. Saw a sign for Parlare Euro Lounge (www.parlarelounge.com (http://www.parlarelounge.com)) which I think is a Mason's (The Park) style lounge. Not sure if they are open yet. Drove by a recently opened place, Timarind Vietnamese Eatery, which is near Kru (one of my favs) at 25th and J. Saw a new place (I think it was called Level Up Lounge or something like that ... I was driving by) opening above Thai Basil restaurant at 24th and J. Also drove past Black Pearl which I read is going to be converted to something else.

As I later hovered back up K street towards the freeway, I saw that True Love coffehouse is back (Beach Hut deli currently occupies their old site on J street) at 23rd and K. Next to it was, I think, a Tea House or cafe or store or something opening called Hina's Tea. Driving on, I also saw a building with MARRS sign at 20th and K. Not sure if it's the project coming up nicely. Additionally, looks like a new gay club, Badlands, has been added to that entertainment area accross from Faces.

One weekend recently, friends and I had beer after work at Streets of London at 18th and J. Then walked by a dueling piano place called twisted 88s and over to Lucca at 16th and J for dinner. Then went to Mikuni on 16th to watch the rest of the King's game and have some more drinks. Then walked by Bistro 33 to Masons/the Park Downtown at 15th and L to finish up the night with music, dancing and entertainment.

Was just intrigued by how much one is now able to go to several places for a night out without the need to drive in midtown and the parts of downtown. Also so many new dining options keep croping up. It's no Gaslamp District in San Diego but it's a start.

Also, while driving down Broadway the other day, I saw a place called Bali Wine Bar and Grill. I think it may be an Indonesian restaurant. Looked good from outside and seemed to be worth checking out. May stop by in the next few days for dinner. Anyone been there?

Also looks like Sweet Fingers Jamaican restaurant has also been replaced with Queen Sheeba Ethiopian restaurant at Broadway and 17th. Got to try that out too. Just love the ethnic restaurant mix on Broadway.

sugit
Jan 31, 2007, 5:08 PM
That area around 16th and J is great. Ton of places to walk to.

I walked by Parlare last weekend and took a peek inside, still a lot of work to do.

It says they are going to be open in Feb, but I highly doubt that. Slick looking place though. Right along the line like you said of The Park.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3982/untitledvv6.png

Even though it's a chain, I'm really looking foward to McCormick and Schmick's. The Elks is such a cool old building, nice to see some life get put back into that building. Now if they can just put the nightclub back on the top two floors, that would be awesome.

SactownRob might have a problem with that though ;)

Also, I heard the MARRS project is going to have another bar/club in it as well. Adding Bedlands and the new place to that corner is going to make it even crazier. That'll be 6 bars/clubs on like 2 blocks.

otnemarcaS
Jan 31, 2007, 8:50 PM
Also, I heard the MARRS project is going to have another bar/club in it as well. Adding Bedlands and the new place to that corner is going to make it even crazier. That'll be 6 bars/clubs on like 2 blocks.

It's a good entertainment area ..... if you are not straight. Wish they had similar congestion of bars/clubs but for the straight crowds. Maybe the MARRS project will add a non-gay club to the area. I did stop at Headhunter Bar and Grill for a meal one time and it was a decent meal.

Here's a pretty good list of many bars and nightclubs in downtown/midtown - http://midtowngrid.com/nightLife.shtml Not sure how comprehensive it is or how often it's updated as you don't see on it places like The Park Downtown/Mason's, Avalon, R15, Bistro 33, Mikuni's, 815 L, Capitol Garage, Centros etc

sugit
Jan 31, 2007, 9:07 PM
I hear ya able the need for another similar congestion of bars/clubs in Sac, I still think R Street is going to be our best bet for that.

My brother (straight) says Faces is easily the best place to pick up a girl. He says he's 3 or 3. lol

Females love that area, they can go dance and party with out (so they think) guys hitting on them. A lot of straight people go party at Faces and the bars around that area, seems like it's been that way for a little while now.

Plus, Hot Rods has bomb as burgers...

TowerDistrict
Jan 31, 2007, 9:09 PM
the midtown website is pretty damn extensive. I know it's a pay to play website for those who want to be listed. That's pretty funny to not see a couple of the bigger guys on there. Maybe they don't need the exposure?

some of the ones you mentioned, like Mikuni and Cap Garage are actually listed there.

econgrad
Jan 31, 2007, 9:52 PM
Cool thread! This is my expertise...
Last night was Lipstick (Old Ironsides).
Almost like a Soho nightclub, great DJ, the place is packed. If you ever want to show out of town friends who like to dance (probably under 30 crowd) and are into the trendy fashion, go there...Strong strong drinks! It is somewhat a mixed crowd as well (gay friendly) but not the majority. Very urban.

sugit
Jan 31, 2007, 10:39 PM
The city yesterday approved a 700K loan to the owners of The Kitchen for their new 'Ella Dining Room' at 12th and K in the The Cathedral Building.

I am really looking forward to this place. The Kitchen (http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/) has received a lot of kudos and write ups in Wine Enthusiast, Sunset Mag and New York Times for the food, wine and demonstration dinners. They are $$$$ though, $125 a person for a 5 course demonstration dinner, without wine. From the reviews I've read on places like Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/-ldH2TWWDiRO2vumQE5FXQ) people rave about the place as one of the best in CA

UXUS Design (http://www.uxusdesign.com/) out of Amsterdam is designing the place so I think we are in store for something special on K Street.

They said they would be open in June.

Also, the K Street Central project at 10th and K is going to have a Carnigie Deli meet Cheesecake Factory type deli place in addition to the Caberet Theatre and 2nd story bar/lounge.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......meat.
http://newyorkmetro.com/listings/restaurant/maincarnegiedeli.jpg
http://www.vegas.com/restaurant/images/carnegiedeli.jpg
http://www.slashfood.com/images/2005/11/cheesecake.jpg

otnemarcaS
Jan 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
I've actually been to Faces twice. Once with an ex-girlfriend and another time with a straight buddy when it was the only place that looked lively one 3-day holiday weekend. But this was more than 5 years ago. When I went with my ex for the first time, I was actually impressed with the size and the vibe of the place. Looked small from the outside but is somewhat expansive once you get inside. I can only imagine what it's like now with all the renovations and expansions taking place there.. I do know female friends that also like to go there because they say guys don't bother them as much as straight clubs. Yeah, right.

I also wanted to try Hot Rods one evening but the line was too long and the place was crowded so we went elsewhere. Gotta return to try the burgers sometime.

TD, I still don't see Mikuni's and Cap Garage on the link I put above.

william
Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 PM
The city yesterday approved a 700K loan to the owners of The Kitchen for their new 'Ella Dining Room' at 12th and K in the The Cathedral Building.

I am really looking forward to this place. The Kitchen (http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/) has received a lot of kudos and write ups in Wine Enthusiast, Sunset Mag and New York Times for the food, wine and demonstration dinners. They are $$$$ though, $125 a person for a 5 course demonstration dinner, without wine. From the reviews I've read on places like Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/-ldH2TWWDiRO2vumQE5FXQ) people rave about the place as one of the best in CA

UXUS Design (http://www.uxusdesign.com/) out of Amsterdam is designing the place so I think we are in store for something special on K Street.

They said they would be open in June.

Also, the K Street Central project at 10th and K is going to have a like Carnigie Deli meet Cheesecafe Factory type deli sandwich place in addition to the Caberet Theatre and 2nd story lounge.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......meat.
http://newyorkmetro.com/listings/restaurant/maincarnegiedeli.jpg
http://www.vegas.com/restaurant/images/carnegiedeli.jpg
http://www.slashfood.com/images/2005/11/cheesecake.jpg

Wow, I'm just so impressed with the Sacramento club/dining scene. When I was running around, I think we had club 2-Me and that was about it:banana: . Oh yeah, there was Confetti out near Arden Fair and Friday's, Tequila Willie's and a third place whose name escapes me all near each other on Howe.

But now, just look at it. Fabulous clubs/restaurants opening every couple of months. Another example of proving the doubters wrong. Parlare looks like it could open in Vegas and it's just one of many.

Although The Kitchen isn't downtown, this is yet another Sacramento secret with an international reputation. It's like going over to Emeril's house for an evening of showbiz cuisine and education that's nothing short of spectacular. I went a couple of years ago. The experience is like nothing in California. Whatever Selland is bringing downtown, it should help make downtown Sacramento a culinary center worthy of its agricultural heritage.

I hope you guys are enjoying it.

sugit
Jan 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
Oh man, Club 2-Me . Now THAT is a great dive bar! Some of the old ones never really get old.

Fusey
Jan 31, 2007, 11:13 PM
This is a great idea for a thread; I was about to ask for downtown restaurant suggestions for Valentine's Day in the Sac Proposals one. :haha:

TowerDistrict
Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
nothing like fried egg on a cheese burger. :)

Backward Sacramento, I meant to say they're on that website, just not under that category. I think it's a pretty good and realiable site in general. The Midtown Guru does some good writing on the subjects we hit on a lot here - check it out here. (http://midtowngrid.com/blog/index.php)

sugit
Jan 31, 2007, 11:26 PM
This is a great idea for a thread; I was about to ask for downtown restaurant suggestions for Valentine's Day in the Sac Proposals one. :haha:

What kind of price range, atmosphere, and food are you looking for?

If you don't mind dropping a little coin, my 4 horsemen for fine dinning are Waterboy (20th and Cap), Mason's (15th and L) and Mulvanny's (19th Between L and Cap), I haven't quite found the 4th yet, I hope Ella fill the gap. I bet The Kitchen would be up there, but I haven't been there yet.

I will say though, it seems like going on big days like V-Day resturants are super busy and never seem to be on point with food or service those nights. My opinion though.

otnemarcaS
Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, I'm just so impressed with the Sacramento club/dining scene. When I was running around, I think we had club 2-Me and that was about it:banana: . Oh yeah, there was Confetti out near Arden Fair and Friday's, Tequila Willie's and a third place whose name escapes me all near each other on Howe.

I remember Confetti's on Arden way. That place has really gone thru several transformation in the last 20 years. Confetti's became Yucatan Liquor stand which became Piranha Room (with the huge fish tank inside) which became Polly Esters which became In Cahoots country club and is now Tropicana Latin Dance club.

Also, there was Carlos Murphy's and Charlie Browns in that area. I think Tequilla Willie's is now El Toritos on Howe. TW was a fun place going to Sac State too.

The place that would have really done well in Sacramento now was America Live at Sacramento which was replaced by the Hard Rock Cafe and Copelands sporting goods store in the downtown plaza. I think that place was way ahead of it's time for downtown Sacramento at a time when people rarely went downtown for nighttime entertainment. Would fit perfectly now. That was six clubs plus restaurants in one.

Also Club 2-me was a staple going to Sac State.

Sachornet
Jan 31, 2007, 11:32 PM
Has anyone had a chance to check out the Twisted 88's dueling piano bar? Sounds like a cool concept and something different than your typical bar/club.

william
Jan 31, 2007, 11:35 PM
Has anyone had a chance to check out the Twisted 88's dueling piano bar? Sounds like a cool concept and something different than your typical bar/club.

There are three dueling piano bars in San Diego and they are a riot. Highly recomended.

otnemarcaS
Jan 31, 2007, 11:48 PM

Stopped in before they officially opened one week but they did not have the dueling piano players playing then. A buddy of mine said he was going to a new club opening last Friday.... at the site of, or maybe next to, Twisted 88s which he said was closing. But when I drove down J st yesterday, it still looked like Twisted 88 was still there although they did not seem to be open on Tuesdays.

The other dueling pianos I know of in Sac is 2 Grand Saloon in Old Sacramento. Been to it one Saturday and it was lively and fun.

TowerDistrict
Jan 31, 2007, 11:50 PM

two places that are great, but fly under the radar a lot are Chanterelle (in the Sterling Hotel) and my favorite... Moxie. For contemporary Japanese, I highly reccommend Kru. For small plates, cool atmosphere and interesting drinks, check out Kasbah.

I thought you were in Davis for some reason... if you are and don't feel like coming out to Sacramento, check out Osteria Fasulo. I had to go there after the owner shut down his downtown location called Il Posto, and it was excellent.

Fusey
Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I moved downtown last year I really haven't had much of an opportunity to check out most of the bars and restaurants with school/work occupying most of my time. Price isn't too much of an issue. The only hints I've gotten from my girlfriend are "somewhat fancy and with a view."

Sacdelicious
Feb 1, 2007, 4:27 AM
Stopped in before they officially opened one week but they did not have the dueling piano players playing then. A buddy of mine said he was going to a new club opening last Friday.... at the site of, or maybe next to, Twisted 88s which he said was closing. But when I drove down J st yesterday, it still looked like Twisted 88 was still there although they did not seem to be open on Tuesdays.

The other dueling pianos I know of in Sac is 2 Grand Saloon in Old Sacramento. Been to it one Saturday and it was lively and fun.

I don't believe Twisted 88's has offically opened yet...I know they had an 'grand opening party', but I walk by every day from work at 6ish, and it has yet to be open, plus last week, I could peek in and see that the back (behind that first wall) was still being completed. It's def. NOT closing, just looks like it's going through finishing touches before they actually open.

SacTownKing916
Feb 1, 2007, 4:49 AM
Has anyone been to The Town Lounge out in roseville. Do you guys think this would be a good place for valentines day.

otnemarcaS
Feb 1, 2007, 2:29 PM
Bob Shallit: Java City is leaving Loehmann's
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PST Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

The popular Java City cafe at Loehmann's Plaza has closed. In its place, by May, will be the first local presence for Boudin (pronounced Bo-DEEN), a historic San Francisco bakery and restaurant known for its distinctive sourdough bread.

The new place will be one of the first of the firm's new-concept "Boudin SF" eateries, offering a lunch and dinner menu.

"It's a flagship-type tenant," says Paul Bollinger, an exec with the company that owns Loehmann's.

He envisions the restaurant and its surroundings as a destination location -- a "third place" (besides home and work) for people to spend their time.

Boudin also will be opening at The Fountains, a lifestyle center that the Peter P. Bollinger Investment Co. is building in Roseville.

Both restaurants are modeled after one the company opened two years ago at Fisherman's Wharf.

Besides Boudin SF, Loehmann's has signed up four other retailers in what property manager Yoncie Griswold calls a "major re-merchandising" of the center's tenant mix.

Other newcomers will be the area's first Pendleton woolen clothing store, Massage Envy, CitiFinancial and Sports Clips hair-cutting salon. Griswold also reports that landscaping changes -- including the addition of fountains and lighted patio areas -- are planned for the 22-year-old center.

What a shame it's closing. If you lived in that area or went to Sac State, that Java city coffehouse was a regular place to hang out for many, many years.

SacTownAndy
Feb 1, 2007, 3:35 PM
I'm really excited for the MARRS project to be completed. That whole two block radius around there is turning out to be quite the dining and entertainment epicenter. Have they announced any of the tennants? I remember hearing something about a jazz club, but that was about it.

sugit
Feb 1, 2007, 5:08 PM
I've only heard rumors about MAARS. The folks at Bistro 33 are looking to do place there (something different though), Lugi's Pizza is looking to do a late night pizza by the slice jount, and the new bar (which could have been a jazz club)

greenmidtown
Feb 1, 2007, 5:10 PM
I hear ya able the need for another similar congestion of bars/clubs in Sac, I still think R Street is going to be our best bet for that.

My brother (straight) says Faces is easily the best place to pick up a girl. He says he's 3 or 3. lol

Females love that area, they can go dance and party with out (so they think) guys hitting on them. A lot of straight people go party at Faces and the bars around that area, seems like it's been that way for a little while now.

Plus, Hot Rods has bomb as burgers...

On R st. the R15/Cafe' Bernardo is one of my favorite spots. Trendy but cheap. Not to mention you can play pool for a buck or play x-box. I appreciate any bar that keeps me entertained. As for Faces, I was their recently and it's getting an enormous face-lift, the extra space will double it's size with 2 floors and they're adding a pool in the back. Badlands across the street will be 3 stories and have a 2nd story patio overlooking K st.. It would be great if R st. can provide a mixed-club district that doesn't involve ridiculous cover charges and bad entertainment like Empire.

greenmidtown
Feb 1, 2007, 5:11 PM
Sorry, double post

sugit
Feb 1, 2007, 5:55 PM
Yup, R15 has been my spot recently too. Good prices (how can you mess with a $4 crown shot and $2 PBR!), cool atmosphere, pool tabls and xbox are def a plus. All they need is a foosball table like Streets!

Empire has so much potenial to be a great mid size venue for traveling shows and bands like Slims, and they do bring in shows every once in a while...but it's basically a club first and foremost that does a few shows. I wish it were the other way around.

TowerDistrict
Feb 1, 2007, 5:58 PM
Lavendar Heights is really a model for the rest of the central city to pay attention to. Though I'm straight, I probably spend more time in that neighborhood than any other part of downtown and midtown. During the weekdays there are realestate companies, banks, architects, printers. There are good places to eat lunch and dinner, and few cool shops too. Then there are the clubs at night, which i don't go to - but that basically means that even though it's a "gay" neighborhood, it's a place i could find myself 12 hours a day. I wouldn't necessarily want R Street to end up a straight club neighborhood. The straight population is large enough to not need to band together.

Unfortunately Empire has kind of ended up a thug spot. But Empire also books some really good bands that don't fit in anywhere else in Sacramento. I mean I saw Sonic Youth play at Empire.... where the hell else could they have played downtown?

greenmidtown
Feb 1, 2007, 6:10 PM
Yup, R15 has been my spot recently too. Good prices (how can you mess with a $4 crown shot and $2 PBR!), cool atmosphere, pool tabls and xbox are def a plus. All they need is a foosball table like Streets!

Empire has so much potenial to be a great mid size venue for traveling shows and bands like Slims, and they do bring in shows every once in a while...but it's basically a club first and foremost that does a few shows. I wish it were the other way around.

And a ping pong table, maybe even some old school arcade games. The Empire does have potential and you're right about the shows. I just prefer cheap covers which is why I hit up the Press Club or Old I if I want to dance. On weekends the only club I feel I can take my g/f to is Faces. And of course their's the Park but that's more than my budget allows. For live shows I've found Marilyn's a K st. impressive, you can make a night watching an indie flick at the Crest then walking to Marilyn's for a drink and a show.

greenmidtown
Feb 1, 2007, 6:22 PM
Lavendar Heights is really a model for the rest of the central city to pay attention to. Though I'm straight, I probably spend more time in that neighborhood than any other part of downtown and midtown. During the weekdays there are realestate companies, banks, architects, printers. There are good places to eat lunch and dinner, and few cool shops too. Then there are the clubs at night, which i don't go to - but that basically means that even though it's a "gay" neighborhood, it's a place i could find myself 12 hours a day. I wouldn't necessarily want R Street to end up a straight club neighborhood. The straight population is large enough to not need to band together.

Unfortunately Empire has kind of ended up a thug spot. But Empire also books some really good bands that don't fit in anywhere else in Sacramento. I mean I saw Sonic Youth play at Empire.... where the hell else could they have played downtown?

:jester: I was worried somebody would take me literally. I should've said we need a strip of clubs that aren't targeted to any particular group. Not that we don't have those options, but it'd be nice to have a sunset strip type mixed-club/live venue area and gay clubs in between. In Portland they don't have any gay districts like lavender heights, the gay clubs are interspersed between other clubs and venues. But in Lavender Heights their isn't really any space for that, it's the gay district of Sac. Which is cool but another mixed-area is needed.

innov8
Feb 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
Sacramento Museum Day Returns February 3rd!

You can't get better than FREE admission

Twenty-five (25) greater Sacramento area museums—more than ever
before—will be offering free admission during the Ninth Annual Sacramento
Museum Day presented by the Sacramento Association of Museums and
proudly supported by Starbucks Coffee Company. Sacramento Museum Day
takes place Saturday, February 3, 2007, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (all
participating museums close at 5 p.m.). Free shuttle buses will serve many
of the participating museums (all routes begin/end/transfer at the California
Museum for History, Women & the Arts, which can be accessed via Regional
Transit Light Rail – Archives Plaza station).

Aerospace Museum of California
5934 Price Avenue, McClellan
www.aerospacemuseumofcalifornia.org

California Foundry History Museum
5301 Price Avenue
McClellan Park
916.929.8001, 916.933.3062
www.foundryhistory.com

California State Military Museum
1119 2nd Street, Old Sacramento
www.militarymuseum.org

California Museum for History, Women and the Arts
1020 O Street, Sacramento
www.californiamuseum.org

California State Capitol Museum
Capitol Building, 10th and L Streets, Sacramento
www.statecapitolmuseum.ca.gov

California State Indian Museum
2618 K Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

California State Railroad Museum
2nd and I Streets, Old Sacramento
www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org
Train Ride Fee

Crocker Art Museum
216 O Street, Sacramento
www.crockerartmuseum.org

Discovery Museum's Gold Rush History Center
101 I Street, Old Sacramento
www.thediscovery.org

Donald F. Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum
4030 Lennane Drive, Sacramento
916.779.1410 ext. 331
www.pharmacyfoundation.org

Explorit Science Center
2801 2nd Street
Davis, CA 95618
www.explorit.org

Fairytale Town
3901 Land Park Drive at Sutterville Road
www.fairytaletown.org

Folsom History Museum
823 Sutter Street, Folsom
www.folsomhistorymuseum.org

Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park
1526 H Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

Heidrick Ag History Center
1962 Hays Lane, Woodland
www.aghistory.org

Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park
802 N Street, Sacramento
www.lelandstanfordmansion.org

Museum of Medical History
5380 Elvas Avenue, Sacramento
www.ssvms.org/museum.asp

Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
1200 Front Street, Old Sacramento
www.oldsacschoolhouse.org

Sacramento Historic City Cemetery
1000 Broadway at 10th Street, Sacramento
Archives Center: 916.264.7508
Tour Information: 916.448.0811
www.oldcitycemetery.com

Sacramento Zoo
3930 W. Land Park Dr.
at Sutterville Rd.
www.saczoo.com

Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
2701 L Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

Towe Auto Museum
2200 Front Street, Sacramento
www.toweautomuseum.org

Wells Fargo History Museum
1000 2nd Street, Old Sacramento
www.wellsfargohistory.com

Wells Fargo History Museum
400 Capitol Mall, Sacramento
www.wellsfargohistory.com

http://www.sacmuseums.org/

Grimnebulin
Feb 2, 2007, 4:52 AM
Been a long time since I posted but...FWIW - McCormick and Schmick's kitchen is mostly up and running as of Tuesday night. They have a bunch of really nice Blodgett equipment in there and the rest of the construction seems to be going well too.

Some recent rambling thoughts...Kru always has some inventive dishes and good quality sushi - a nice alternative to the always-packed Mikuni. Can't go wrong with the quality and scene at Taro's too. I just found out where Nishiki's is - duh - any recent reports from there?

Mulvaney's is my current favorite in Midtown, though I haven't been to Waterboy in over 5 years. I still hear lots of good things about 55 Degrees. And the wine, food, and small snacks at 58 Degrees keeps it as one of my favorites.

Just got a pie the other night from Giovanni's on Folsom - if you like your pizza NYC style, this is the best I've had yet, though the crust wasn't charred enough for me.

Sad to see Java City go - I worked there one summer a long time ago....

My parents went to dinner at Chanterelle last weekend with some friends, and no one really liked their food and they said the service was terrible. They say it's gone down hill quite a bit from the last time they went.

Savannah BBQ is good for meats, terrible for sides - everything was canned (green beans) or boxed (Mac-n-Cheese).

Aioli is still my favorite tapas place in town, and trust me, you don't want to hear about the kitchen at Tapa the World.

And Joey B's (does anyone go there?) has changed names and is now a sports bar. Funny, that's what it seemed like before...

When's the next MEAT? Maybe Sushi? Sake? Beer? All three combined in a roll at Mikuni - the Sake Bomb Roll? Well, you never know...

greenmidtown
Feb 2, 2007, 8:50 PM
yes, McCormick and Schmick is looking really nice, I'll definitely be hitting up the bar. With that opening real soon and paralare euro lounge, that stretch of J st. which has been oddly neglected will start to connect to its surroundings. Also with the boutique hotel being renovated nearby and the renovations and developments planned for K st., it looks like downtown is really coming around. Soon enough it'll become clear to everyone that demand far exceeds supply in the downtown core and inevitably more bars, nightclubs, coffeeshops, restaraunts, and hotels will follow. :cheers:

otnemarcaS
Feb 2, 2007, 9:45 PM
Aioli is still my favorite tapas place in town, and trust me, you don't want to hear about the kitchen at Tapa the World.

And Joey B's (does anyone go there?) has changed names and is now a sports bar. Funny, that's what it seemed like before...

Is that supposed to be good or bad about the kitchen at Tapa The World? I do kinda like that place. Longtime Sacramento staple. Wish we had a Spanish place like Cascal in downtown Mountain View. Awesome Spanish cuisine and live music. Tapa The World's the closest to it so far, though much smaller than CAscal.

Joey B's used to be a "luxury" sports bar. The owner had to give up the restaurant because he opened up another business near Barstow, CAlif. Under regulations of the Dept of Rehabilitation's Business Enterprises Program, he (owner was legally blind, I believe) can only operate ONE permanent business site at a time. So he gave up Joey B's. I did not know that the new place was already up and running nor did I know that it was another sports bar. Gotta go check it out. Really only went to Joey B's during the Kings heydeys a couple of years ago.

urban_encounter
Feb 3, 2007, 6:56 PM
yes, McCormick and Schmick is looking really nice, I'll definitely be hitting up the bar. With that opening real soon and paralare euro lounge, that stretch of J st. which has been oddly neglected will start to connect to its surroundings. Also with the boutique hotel being renovated nearby and the renovations and developments planned for K st., it looks like downtown is really coming around. Soon enough it'll become clear to everyone that demand far exceeds supply in the downtown core and inevitably more bars, nightclubs, coffeeshops, restaraunts, and hotels will follow. :cheers:

I really hope St. Anton and John Saca find some way to get their towers built at 11th and J and 10th and J respectively... It would really add a lot to J street.... I wont hold my breath though. If anything happens, we're probably talking a few more years down the road.

Pistola916
Feb 3, 2007, 8:10 PM
I always pictured J street to be the Michigan Ave of Sacramento. The premier shopping and dining district. As well as, nothing but mid to high-rise buildings along the stretch of 7th to 15th street. Every building at least at minimum 350 feet tall. Hopefully, the additions, Metropolitan, Cathedral, and Capitol Grand come to fruition someday.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 4, 2007, 6:34 AM
Yeah, those are some of the most important properties/projects with all that's going on, IMO. Along with those K st Central towers, J st will be lookin' great. I really hope we can see Cathedral soon, but with the Towers being delayed, I wouldn't think the Metropolitan would start any sooner than 2010. Here's hoping those great projects make it, especially with all the new ground floor retail that will be added by them.

friedpez
Feb 4, 2007, 7:13 AM
^ Maybe towers like the Metropolitan and other mid-range ones would do better because they'd target a larger clientel who wouldn't necessarily want a spa, expensive stores, etc all on one site? I think Saca should press forward with the Metropolitan just to see how it does, although it may "drain" potential buyers from the Towers as well...

downtownserg89
Feb 4, 2007, 7:32 AM
what's the building that's supposed to have a restaurant on the top floor? was it 500CM? is there any word on what the restaurant is going to be?

oh and is the 524 Mexican food place on 12th & F st going to reopen or is it going to be a different restaurant?

Sacdelicious
Feb 4, 2007, 6:44 PM
FYI: Badlands, the new nightclub across the street from Faces, will be opening in 3/4 weeks, just a little bit off their last estimate of full service by New Year's Eve.

And someone I think posted that it is three floors, which is incorrect. I've been inside of it already, and it's just two floors.

Grimnebulin
Feb 5, 2007, 5:26 AM
Is that supposed to be good or bad about the kitchen at Tapa The World?

Let's just say that I much prefer to go to Aioli over Tapa. :sly:

Joey B's used to be a "luxury" sports bar. The owner had to give up the restaurant because he opened up another business near Barstow, CAlif. Under regulations of the Dept of Rehabilitation's Business Enterprises Program, he (owner was legally blind, I believe) can only operate ONE permanent business site at a time. So he gave up Joey B's. I did not know that the new place was already up and running nor did I know that it was another sports bar. Gotta go check it out. Really only went to Joey B's during the Kings heydeys a couple of years ago.

Yeah - the old owner is blind. I didn't know about those regs though. I just thought the bar was changing because no one ever went there...:shrug:

I think the wine bar at 16th and L should've opened by now - anyone gone yet? They have benches outside now and the interior is pretty nice, with wood paneling along the back wall going all the way up to 20 ft. ceilings...and the lighting fixtures were pretty modern too. Any word?

sugit
Feb 5, 2007, 5:12 PM
This sounds pretty cool. Like "Scary Movie" for Broadway musicals.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7721/kstreetno0.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1121/untitledbf2.png

Schmoe
Feb 5, 2007, 7:28 PM
I wish someone would do a thread like this for Salt Lake. I'm dying to find good places to eat and hang out.

urban_encounter
Feb 5, 2007, 9:37 PM
I wish someone would do a thread like this for Salt Lake. I'm dying to find good places to eat and hang out.

I hear Denver or Colorado Springs has some good eats....

;)

:D

Schmoe
Feb 6, 2007, 5:22 PM
Any place is better than SLC, as far as I can tell.

sugit
Feb 6, 2007, 8:18 PM
I think the wine bar at 16th and L should've opened by now - anyone gone yet? They have benches outside now and the interior is pretty nice, with wood paneling along the back wall going all the way up to 20 ft. ceilings...and the lighting fixtures were pretty modern too. Any word?

I drove by there last night and saw someone at the cash registar, but no one else, so I'm not sure if they are open or not. They don't have any signage and it's really tucked away in that small corner, so if they are open, it's really hard for people to tell. I think I'm going to have do a reconnaissance to find out what is going on :drunk:

The one I am looking more foward to though is L Wine Lounge at the 18th and L project.
http://www.lwinelounge.com/index.html

The chefs have had stints at The Kitchen, so I'm hoping they picked up a thing or two from Selland.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 6, 2007, 9:02 PM
Any place is better than SLC, as far as I can tell.

You just need to get up to Park City. ;)

innov8
Feb 7, 2007, 6:07 PM
A couple of 'firsts'
Pair's wine bar-restaurant sets some precedents
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Last Updated 12:04 am PST Wednesday, February 7, 2007

There are plenty of "firsts" at L Wine Lounge and Urban Kitchen, soon to open in midtown.

It's the first entrepreneurial venture for husband-and-wife partners Marcus and Kolea Marquez, after years of working for other restaurateurs. It's the first local restaurant designed by Kristi Daggett, whose previous projects have been in L.A. It features furniture and a huge wine vault designed by Sacramentan William Earle, who's done work for celebs such as Courteney Cox and Macy Gray but never a restaurant.

Then there's the "first" connected with the graphics now covering the windows as workers race to finish in time for a mid-March opening. Most developers -- the unimaginative ones -- cover windows with brown construction paper or newspaper during the construction phase. More inventive ones use graphics that announce a business is "coming soon."

The folks at L Wine -- whose menu will feature 75 vintages and 15 light dinner plates -- went a step further and personalized their windows.

Each of the project's key movers -- the Marquezes, executive chef Ame Harrington and wine director Jonathon Klonecke -- is pictured sipping wine while sitting on lime-green Italian-made couches that will grace the wine bar's lounge area.

It's a new kind of promotional technique, at least in Sacramento, says wine bar investor Andrea Lepore, who modestly acknowledges it was her idea to use life-size portraits of the project's big shots.

"I thought since they're all young and good looking, we didn't need to hire models," she says.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5905/lstreetwinebar2ey9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

sugit
Feb 11, 2007, 4:18 AM
I drove by McCormick & Schmick's today, they open to the public on the 19th.

Looking at the menu, they have a $1.95 happy hour food menu (http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/media/Bar_Menu.pdf) with a ton of good stuff..sweet!!

Grimnebulin
Feb 11, 2007, 7:11 AM
I drove by McCormick & Schmick's today, they open to the public on the 19th.

Looking at the menu, they have a $1.95 happy hour food menu (http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/media/Bar_Menu.pdf) with a ton of good stuff..sweet!!

FWIW - McCormicks is having a private reception on Sat the 17th. from 5:30 to 8:30pm. You need to call in by the 12th and have a flyer to get in - invite is for 2 people.

Quickly checked out a few Second Sat places tonight - Old Soul coffee was really busy. They officially have their retail license now - not sure how long they've had it though it sounds recent. Also stopped by Naked Coffee last night and had an Americano. It was good enough that I also bought a half pound of their Guatemalan beans - they smell very good, looking forward to trying them on Monday morning. The guy behind the counter was encouraging people to stop on by their roastery at Broadway and 36th. Said if you stop in and they're around, they'll give a free cup of coffee - I might just have to check it out and see...look a picture of a woman for the entrance. Naked? I'm not sure.

Also, I'm moving to 1801 L next month - place seems a bit nicer than St. Anton here and the people were pretty cool. Met a guy who used to be the head of S.A.C.T.O. (Sac Trade Org) and a group of Germans who just moved here to work for SunTech (a sub of Conergy - a German alternative energy company) and their new HQs are in downtown Sac. They had some pretty interesting things to say about Bio, Solar, and Wind power technologies that they are developing here. I think their company may have been in the Biz Journal recently, but I'm not quite sure about that though.

Dieler
Feb 11, 2007, 4:34 PM
FWIW - McCormicks is having a private reception on Sat the 17th. from 5:30 to 8:30pm. You need to call in by the 12th and have a flyer to get in - invite is for 2 people.

Do you have the phone number to call and would you share it?

Grimnebulin
Feb 11, 2007, 6:37 PM
Do you have the phone number to call and would you share it?

You and Sugit have PM. :cheers:

Grimnebulin
Feb 12, 2007, 1:35 AM
I was able to get 3 extra invites (2 ppl each) if anyone would like one.

Update: All invites are now spoken for - Brandon12, Costa, and Costa's friends are the winners.

sugit
Feb 12, 2007, 2:59 AM
Looks like an Irish Pub has signed a lease for 4000 sqaure feet at the Firestone building. They are supposed to breakgound next month on the project.

California Pizza Kitchen has signed a lease along with Fleming Steakhouse. Roy's might round out the building.

While I'm not all that excited about the resturants, a good new Irish Bar is always sounds good to me.

brandon12
Feb 12, 2007, 3:05 AM
I know I'll get shot down in this forum for saying so, but I think CPK is a coup of sorts. Those places really pack them in and might attract young families to come downtown for dinner that haven't yet.

friedpez
Feb 12, 2007, 3:14 AM
Is the Firestone Bldg the one at the corner of 16th and L?

sugit
Feb 12, 2007, 3:15 AM
Yeah, 16th and L. There is also another retail development going up across the street on that surface parking lot.

http://www.cordanoco.com/project_pdfs/firestone4.pdf

B - I admit, they do turn out some tasty pizzas. You know me and chain restaurants though...

You are right though, I bet it does bring out a lot of families

Hopefully the bar keeps with the true Irish sprit.... pub atmosphere, lots of fun, soccer on every TV, lot of good beers on tap...and some irish whiskey!

sugit
Feb 12, 2007, 3:25 AM
and brandon12 singing irish folk songs topless on the bar....

shiver :cheers:

brandon12
Feb 12, 2007, 3:33 AM
per the terms of my parole, I'm no longer permitted to take my shirt off in any Irish pub. At least until 2009. Then all bets are off again.

sugit
Feb 12, 2007, 3:39 AM
The bar isn't supposed to open until May 2008, so we'll say July after delays.
That's only 6 month until 2009...Sacramento watch out...

otnemarcaS
Feb 12, 2007, 6:33 AM
Agree with Brandon, California Pizza Kitchen is a coup for that area. Their restaurants always pack 'em in and their food is really good IMO. I was a regular visitor at the Arden Fair CPK when I lived near Cal Expo and also to the one near my place on Van Ness blvd in SF when I lived in the city. While Sacramento is a played out chain town, there's still chain restaurants that people looked forward to opening in town before they came. E.g McCormick & Schmick's, Ruth Chris Steak house, and even Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs. As long as it's not Sizzler, IHOP, Lyon, Denny's types and fast food types (except maybe In 'n Out burgers), it's a little palatable. It would be good though if downtown and midtown continues to open up more independent type restaurants and leave the chains to the 'burbs.

sugit
Feb 12, 2007, 11:47 PM
Twisted 88's at 16th and J is no more, in comes another "Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge "

Didn't Cabanna at 12th and K JUST open with the same motif?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/sacramentodatingclub/lovestinks.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/sacramentodatingclub/miaminightflyer1.jpg

________

http://www.myspace.com/azukardowntown
Located on 1616 J Street ..

Azukar Cocina & Bar will be Sacramento's Newest Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge with over 12,000 square feet on two levels featuring 10 Bars, Ultra Lounge, Open Air Lobby Bar, Restaurant and Dance Floor
with a capacity of over 1,000 guests.

Serving High End Mexican Cuisine in Sacramento's finest Location. Mikuni's, PF Chang's, Bistro 33 and Lucca's all in walking distance!! Azukar's ultra-chic design concept couples LED lighting with cutting edge décor. Jet-setters and Hollywood’s A-list flock to this modern space featuring Zen glass fixtures, natural hide sofas, dramatic columns, and a dramatic water wall.

Add us for updates, VIP Specials and most importantly :
OUR GRAND OPENING : Early Spring 2007 ..

TowerDistrict
Feb 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
seems like cuban food would've been a more logical and intriguing choice of cuisine. :/

brandon12
Feb 13, 2007, 2:37 AM
^that's what my wife just said. There's hardly any Mexican influence in Miami, of course it's all Cuban. Plus there's tons of Mexican places already. They should really think about this.

brandon12
Feb 13, 2007, 2:43 AM
And this quote really made me laugh my ass off: "Jet-setters and Hollywood’s A-list flock to this modern space"
what a joke.

otnemarcaS
Feb 13, 2007, 4:22 AM
Wow, so Twisted 88 is really closing. Is that a Sacramento record for the quickest a club has opened and closed without being shut down by the police? Didn't they just open up in late Dec?

And the new place certainly should be bold enough to try a cuban/carribean/spanish themed cuisine. Geez, I miss Cha Cha Cha restaurant in San Francisco with their awesome sangrias served to boot.

TowerDistrict
Feb 13, 2007, 9:22 PM
Weak! :(

Thank you for your interest in McCormick & Schmick's Pre-Opening Event on Thursday, February 15th. Unfortunately, we are at capacity and are no longer accepting RSVPs. Please feel free to come to the restaurant once it opens to the public at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 19th. Once again, we apologize for being unable to accommodate you at this time. Thanks!

Grimnebulin
Feb 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
Weak! :(

Thank you for your interest in McCormick & Schmick's Pre-Opening Event on Thursday, February 15th. Unfortunately, we are at capacity and are no longer accepting RSVPs. Please feel free to come to the restaurant once it opens to the public at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 19th. Once again, we apologize for being unable to accommodate you at this time. Thanks!

The flyer I have says the event is the 17th. I guess there are two different ones going on? I'm dropping off a flyer to Brandon today so I'll double check but I'm 99% sure the event I know of is the 17th.

brandon12
Feb 14, 2007, 6:03 AM
^ got it Grimnebulin, thanks for swinging by.

The flyer does say it's for the 17th.

Sacdelicious
Feb 14, 2007, 7:30 PM
From today's Bee:

Feeling crabby: We don't usually write about media events -- gatherings staged for no other purpose than to capture TV or newspaper attention.

But we're making an exception for the festivities planned in advance of Thursday's VIP party celebrating the upcoming opening on Monday of the McCormick & Schmick's seafood eatery in the Elks Building at 11th and J streets.

Early Thursday morning, a "giant crab" will make an appearance on the Capitol's east lawn. How big a crab? "Really big," says Jana Sanders Perry of Merlot Marketing. She won't provide more details.

Sometime later in the day, a big salmon -- a real one, unlike the crustacean -- will arrive at the restaurant via limo, be "tossed" from one exec to another, then perhaps cooked and eaten following a ceremonial cutting of ... a fishing net.

"We don't do the traditional, stale ribbon cutting," says Perry, who also promises a Sacramento River Cats connection to the festivities.

Definitely a media event. But maybe a rarity among such happenings: one worth covering.

TowerDistrict
Feb 14, 2007, 7:50 PM
too bad they didn't bother to save enough room for the people they invited.

turds! :hell:

Grimnebulin
Feb 15, 2007, 3:56 AM
I just found out I get to go to both M&S events. :D

Someone got me a reservation for the Thursday event too without me knowing. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/thumbsup.gif Confirmed too.

innov8
Feb 15, 2007, 4:16 PM
There is a giant blow-up crab on the north side of the Capitol today that
probably measures 20x20 feet. There's also lots of media and talking heads
promoting the McCormick & Schmick's restaurant.

TowerDistrict
Feb 15, 2007, 5:53 PM
I just found out I get to go to both M&S events. :D

Someone got me a reservation for the Thursday event too without me knowing. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/thumbsup.gif Confirmed too.

whatever... i hope you get crabs. ;)

Sacdelicious
Feb 15, 2007, 9:45 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9936/0215071313mo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Grimnebulin
Feb 15, 2007, 9:55 PM
whatever... i hope you get crabs. ;)

Me too! :haha:

TowerDistrict
Feb 15, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hot spot: Speaking of the Elks Building, Steve Ayers reports the historic tower is nearly leased up. It was half empty when he and several partners bought the place three and a half years ago.

They've fixed it up and recruited what he calls "the right mix of tenants" -- mostly associations and lobbyists that do business at the Capitol along with McCormick & Schmick's.

With the likely signing this week of "a large statewide association" to occupy the third floor, 93 percent of the building's 118,000 square feet will be occupied, he says.

That doesn't count the basement, where there's a swimming pool -- a remnant of the building's days as an Elks hangout. We hear there's a proposal to put water in the pool, cover it with a translucent dance floor and turn the space into a club.

Ayers isn't commenting on that. But he does say he's had more serious talks with folks interested in opening a wine bar there, with sales, tastings and storage.

Aren't we saturated with those, with 58 Degrees and The Grand already open downtown and The L Urban Wine Lounge opening soon? Not yet, Ayers says.

Tenebrist
Feb 15, 2007, 11:13 PM
I know I'll get shot down in this forum for saying so, but I think CPK is a coup of sorts. Those places really pack them in and might attract young families to come downtown for dinner that haven't yet.

I agree. I like that these big names are coming to DT! They can't all be one-off, locally owned restaurants. CPK will bring people in.

I love all these restaurants opening up, but I'd really like to see some new retail (not just the big-sticker boutiques sprinkled along J & K)

Tenebrist
Feb 15, 2007, 11:31 PM
Twisted 88's at 16th and J is no more, in comes another "Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge "

Didn't Cabanna at 12th and K JUST open with the same motif?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/sacramentodatingclub/lovestinks.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/sacramentodatingclub/miaminightflyer1.jpg

Notice that the flyers say "Twisted88s presents Azukar". I'm guessing it's the same owners, but a different theme.

I remember the night I first learned of Twisted88s. I was standing outside of some salon/art gallery/fashion show on a particular Second Saturday night and some dude comes through the crowd handing out "free pizza" cards. I never went and haven't thought of the place until I read the above post. The thought of "dualing pianos" doesn't excite me much. That being said, I probably won't be going to Azukar either. It's my opinion that all theme nights/clubs are pretty lame.

otnemarcaS
Feb 15, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hot spot: Speaking of the Elks Ayers isn't commenting on that. But he does say he's had more serious talks with folks interested in opening a wine bar there, with sales, tastings and storage.

Aren't we saturated with those, with 58 Degrees and The Grand already open downtown and The L Urban Wine Lounge opening soon? Not yet, Ayers says.

Saturated? In a metro size like Sacramento's? Bob Shallit... puhleeeeze. Oh so Sacramento like thinking. Not even 15 to 20 wine bars or lounges around town would constitute saturation IMO.

TowerDistrict
Feb 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
it's also worth noting that 58° and The Grand are both very small. 58° has a big space, but only about 1/3 of it is the bar area. And what is The Grand? 350 sq. ft.?

Grimnebulin
Feb 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
And what is The Grand? 350 sq. ft.?

That's probably about right - The Grand might be 15' deep by 20-25' wide, and it loses a lot of space to the bar area and the door which cuts across at an angle. Which makes it a trapezoid? Can't remember Geometry - if only I had paid attention...:shrug:

I really can't see saturation yet...

Grimnebulin
Feb 16, 2007, 5:09 AM
Back from M&S - verdict......couldn't get in because the line was soooooooo long. Got there about 7pm - the line stretched from the entrance on J St. all the way around to corner, past the entrance to the Elks Bldg. The line was not moving at all. I think everyone got there at 6pm and they were only letting people in as people left. We stood in line for 10 mins, moved about 5 feet (out of several hundred to go) and decided to go to The Grand.

It had some great style inside - enclosed wine racks to the 20ft. ceilings. Warm atmosphere. We didn't try anything but they do have an extensive wine list of about 40 wines by the glass in the $5 to $15 dollar range, with a lot of European selections. Bordeauxs, Rhones, Burgundies, some California wines, etc. Also have a very large bottle listing as well. Met a young guy who seemed to be the owner/manager - name started with a Z....overall I'd return to check it out again.

Ended up at Zocalo - had a few beers and some chips, place was starting to clear up as we arrived at 7:30 or so. The tables were pretty full, but he bar was only abut 2/3rds full.

And the weather was great - fun night to be out, though the M&S thing didn't work out so well. If you're going to M&S Saturday, I'd recommend showing up early for the 5:30pm opening after seeing tonight's lines. I'll probably try to get there early to meet up with Costa, but I'm going on a drive with some friends so I'm not sure what time I'll be back...shooting for 5-530 at M&S at this point.

TowerDistrict
Feb 16, 2007, 6:24 AM
yeah i thought the M&S marketing was far too agressive. i figured if they invited me then they must've invited the whole damn region. ;)

So was the Grand cool? Did the small space prevent you from getting a glass? I'm gonna check it out sometime this weekend. I love wine, and I can't imagine a time when a city at the center point of the USA's wine bidniss is "saturated" with wine bars.

in an ironic twist.... Merlot Marketing (http://www.merlotmarketing.com/about.html) does McCormick & Schmick's marketing and not a single wine bar on L Street????

Grimnebulin
Feb 16, 2007, 6:37 AM
yeah i thought the M&S marketing was far too agressive. i figured if they invited me then they must've invited the whole damn region. ;)

So was the Grand cool? Did the small space prevent you from getting a glass? I'm gonna check it out sometime this weekend. I love wine, and I can't imagine a time when a city at the center point of the USA's wine bidniss is "saturated" with wine bars.

in an ironic twist.... Merlot Marketing (http://www.merlotmarketing.com/about.html) does McCormick & Schmick's marketing and not a single wine bar on L Street????

I must have been aggressive marketing as they invited my secret source - my 60+ y/o Dad. :D

The Grand was pretty busy (15-20 people) when we first drove by on our way to M&S at about 6:50pm - even a number of people hanging outside. By the time we got back there around 7:30 or so, most of the place had cleared out. Of the remaining 5 people, I suspect a number of them were family. So, no problem getting a glass after 7:30pm. Otherwise, earlier, looked a bit busier.

And Merlot Marketing - kind of a bad/unlucky name choice for them after Sideways came out...though they did stick it out. Check on the origins of the name on their about us page - to paraphrase: Merlot MKTG sounded good after a few glasses of...Merlot. :haha: :P

TowerDistrict
Feb 16, 2007, 6:58 AM
kind of a bad/unlucky name choice for them after Sideways came out...

hahaha... i actually have a bottle of hitching post pinot noir right here. got it at the restaurant in soledad. :tup:

Grimnebulin
Feb 16, 2007, 7:08 AM
hahaha... i actually have a bottle of hitching post pinot noir right here. got it at the restaurant in soledad. :tup:

I've tried it before and it's pretty good. My dad has eaten at the bar in the Hitching Post II restaurant where they filmed the movie. Twice. The Horror! :haha: Pinots were my favorite years before the movie came out - the movie ruined it for me. Though I still enjoy a good one now and again, I'm drinking Syrah/Rhone and the occasional Grenache and Zin nowadays. And Spanish-style wines too.

TowerDistrict
Feb 16, 2007, 7:21 AM
I've tried it before and it's pretty good. My dad has eaten at the bar in the Hitching Post II restaurant where they filmed the movie. Twice. The Horror! :haha: Pinots were my favorite years before the movie came out - the movie ruined it for me. Though I still enjoy a good one now and again, I'm drinking Syrah/Rhone and the occasional Grenache and Zin nowadays. And Spanish wine too.

It's probably one of the more bold pinot's which is why i like it. thought you now pay a hefty hollywood fee if you want a bottle. i think the best region is still healdsburg. if you've never made it out there, i highly recommend Frick Winery (http://www.frickwinery.com/). If you like the more typically used blending grapes like Grenache.. you'll love their 100% Cinsaut. it's one of a kind. say what's up to Lucia!

Grimnebulin
Feb 16, 2007, 6:11 PM
Yup - the bold one's are really the only Pinots which appeal to me nowadays. I've tried Frick at a few tastings and they're pretty good. I've also tried a few Cinsault wines before - it's a pretty interesting grape though it's mostly used in smaller %s in the Rhone blends, right?

sugit
Feb 16, 2007, 6:20 PM
I picked up a couple bottles of Hitching Post pinot from 58 Degrees a while back. When I saw it I had to buy it. Damn Sideways! I really like it.

When L Wine Lounge opens, we should do a wine bar hopping meat in that area!

econgrad
Feb 21, 2007, 12:07 AM
Whats a meat? Is it all you guys meeting? If it is, that sounds cool...

TowerDistrict
Feb 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
yup... you just missed us all at R15 on Saturday night. be sure to come out to the next one!

Grimnebulin
Feb 21, 2007, 5:38 AM
Whats a meat? Is it all you guys meeting? If it is, that sounds cool...

It was a blast. It was my first time...*blush*. Everyone was really fun to hang out with. Make sure you catch the next one...

Therefore - I propose - Sushi Meat! Tamaya? Zen Sushi? Or maybe sugit can hook us up at Nishiki? What does everyone say? Or maybe everyone says no....

ozone
Feb 24, 2007, 8:59 PM
Hey has you guys seen the new Sactown Magazine? I'm really excited about it. The best new zine in town! Blows Sacramento Magazine out of the water.:tup:

http://sactownmag.com/home.php (http://sactownmag.com/home.php)

creamcityleo79
Feb 25, 2007, 1:58 AM
SactownRob is the editor. I think all of us have subscriptions. It's VERY exciting!

TowerDistrict
Feb 26, 2007, 10:06 PM
So when i come home off the freeway at 29th and P, i notice this former oil change / tune-up shop is shut down. In its place coming in summer of 2007 is a new burger joint called Suzie Burger (http://www.sro-inc.com/suzie/index.html).

Apparently Suzie was formerly located off 24th street for years. Now they're reopening under the wing of the 33rd Street Bistro group called Standing Room Only (http://www.sro-inc.com/).

I'm thinking this place will be really cool. That group has done nothing but tasteful projects across this region. 33rd street and Riverside are neighborhood mainstays, and Bistro 33 fits the location perfectly. I can't wait to see what they do with that old 50's 60's style garage building.

Grimnebulin
Feb 26, 2007, 11:32 PM
Nice find! Sounds promising.

Digressing a little, I wash Sacto had a cool bar like Father's Office (http://www.fathersoffice.com) in Santa Monica. If you've never been, it's a little hole-in-the-wall style bar with great beer on tap, pretty good fresh bar food, board games, etc...maybe this place exists and I haven't found it yet? Someone please show me the light.

Sacdelicious
Feb 27, 2007, 12:54 AM
FYI: Faces' long awaited expansion is opening the weekend of March 9th/10th. If you bring their ad in Mom Guess What (perhaps the greatest name for a gay-themed magazine), you get free cover both nights!

Grimnebulin
Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 AM
FYI: Faces' long awaited expansion is opening the weekend of March 9th/10th. If you bring their ad in Mom Guess What (perhaps the greatest name for a gay-themed magazine), you get free cover both nights!

That is a great name. :haha:

Is Badlands going to be opening up about the same time? Not knowing much about Lavender Heights developments, are Faces and Badlands any way related? Or is there just going to be some good competition between the two? As I drove by today on the way home from work, Badlands look like they're pretty close to opening from the outside.

rs913
Feb 28, 2007, 7:19 PM
I have a question for any of you Sacramento forumers...I may have some free time (most of a day) in downtown Sac next week. Any quick suggestions for interesting stuff for a 1st-time visitor to check out on foot? So far I was thinking the state capitol, the CA history museum, and Old Sacramento...