PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Majin
May 7, 2008, 11:15 PM
Once KJ gets elected these NIMBYs will be a non-factor.

I hope they all pack their shit and get out. We don't need them.

TowerDistrict
May 8, 2008, 12:01 AM

You're probably right about that. Some neighborhood group will argue a project exceeds a particular restriction and KJ will say he has no knowledge of such restriction.

econgrad
May 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
^ Wishful thinking. How do you guys know this about KJ? I will wait and see if he gets elected, and then see what he does before I get my hopes up.

wburg
May 8, 2008, 4:30 AM
Good to see Steamers is coming back...it was the best place in Old Sac for a cuppa coffee!

Cynikal
May 8, 2008, 6:07 PM

Do you have anything to support this? Your statement conflicts with his current neighborhood door-to-door campaign.

Grimnebulin
May 10, 2008, 10:16 PM
Just got word last night that Fleming's Steakhouse is out of Firestone and a sushi/sake bar is taking its place...I hope this hasn't already been mentioned and I missed it.

wburg
May 10, 2008, 11:59 PM
Kind of a bummer to hear that...we've got plenty of sushi downtown but not all that many steakhouses. I met the guy doing the Irish pub while getting coffee at Weatherstone the other day, he seems really excited about the project.

Grimnebulin
May 11, 2008, 12:07 AM
Kind of a bummer to hear that...we've got plenty of sushi downtown but not all that many steakhouses. I met the guy doing the Irish pub while getting coffee at Weatherstone the other day, he seems really excited about the project.

There's Morton's, The Broiler, Chops - all of which serve steaks plus The Firehouse, Ella, Empire Grill, and Mulvaney's have steaks on their menu too, so I don't feel we're too steak place poor. However, I also heard the proposed sushi place owners want to use the place more as an upscale sake bar with sushi/Japanese food on the side. Maybe like a 58 Degrees/Nectar(SF) concept. But the concept is still a bit fluid right now. I think he also said an AT&T store will be next to him - I didn't realize they'd have retail like that in there.

I think that brandon12 or sugit knows the Irish Pub guy...I think it's sugit if I had to guess.

otnemarcaS
May 11, 2008, 12:19 AM
There's also Chops Steak and Seafood at 11th and L for steakhouses. But agree with Wburg, already too many sushi places downtown. Would have liked to see something less common downtown like Korean or Mongolian, just not Japanese or Thai.

arod74
May 11, 2008, 12:44 AM
A brazilian steak house would be nice too. I thought I read that there is one going up somewhere downtown/midtown.

sugit
May 11, 2008, 3:26 AM
There is no shortage of Steak or Sushi....both are well represented in downtown and midtown.

A brazilian steak house would be nice too. I thought I read that there is one going up somewhere downtown/midtown.

There is one going in on 14th and H, across from Brew it Up. It will actually feature both sushi and steak...go figure.

otnemarcaS
May 12, 2008, 6:46 AM
I can hardly wait for the Brazilian steakhouse to open up downtown. But if you really crave Brazilian food now then venture over to A Taste of Brazil restaurant at 5207 Madison Ave. Awesome food.

Majin
May 12, 2008, 6:50 AM
Madison Ave? LOL

otnemarcaS
May 12, 2008, 4:54 PM
Madison Ave? LOL

Yes, Madison Ave. Get off your midtown high horse and you'd see that there's a lot of good or interesting restaurants all over town. Many of the cuisine types don't even exist in the central city. I've driven to Madison for the Brazilian food just like I've driven to Quinta Ct (near Mack/99) for West African food at A Taste of Africa restaurant or Bradshaw for Korean food at Oz Korean BBQ or Davis for Czech food at Little Prague to name a few.

I guess as long as you can go to one of the dozens of Subway restuarants or Starbucks in DT/MT then you are cool like that.

Oh wait, you did venture to Lai Wah on Freeport blvd. Freeport blvd? LOL.

Steven Fong
May 12, 2008, 6:53 PM
There's also Chops Steak and Seafood at 11th and L for steakhouses. But agree with Wburg, already too many sushi places downtown. Would have liked to see something less common downtown like Korean or Mongolian, just not Japanese or Thai.

Midtown is begging for a Korean restaurant. There is a place I frequent off of Folsom Blvd that has awesome Korean food (Willow Tree near the KFC). They are always pretty empty whenever I've eaten there and I can only imagine how packed that place would be if they were midtown.

jsf8278
May 16, 2008, 12:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good happy hour place in midtown...looking for cheap drinks and food. Any suggestions?

TowerDistrict
May 16, 2008, 12:39 AM
Spataro and McCormick & Schmicks are the best Downtown.

Zocalo, Bistro 33, Dragonfly, Uncle Vito's for Midtown.

sugit
May 16, 2008, 3:38 AM
I dig Bistro 33 and Spataro. Some good cheap eats and drinks. Well, cheap for a nicer type place. Check out the websites for more info. Also depends what type of atmosphere you are looking for..more upscale? Dive? Uncle Vito's is good for a more low key type place.

arod74
May 16, 2008, 7:42 PM
I would suggest Ink's on N St in midtown if you are looking for more of an off beat place. They have a pretty big menu so just about anything you might be in the mood for and the prices are fair. The bartenders are really cool too. It's also one of the few places open late serving food!!

http://www.inkeats.com

otnemarcaS
May 16, 2008, 8:47 PM
Cheap drinks ... Torch Club, Limelight and probably most of the dive bars around midtown (eg Old Ironsides, Press Club, Zebra, Q Bar and grill etc).

For atmosphere ... Zocalos, Bistro 33, 58 Degrees and Holding

econgrad
May 16, 2008, 8:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good happy hour place in midtown...looking for cheap drinks and food. Any suggestions?

Unless your into losers that think they are cool because they have tattoos, avoid Q Street (Benny's) and Zebra and Press club, Limelight is a great place to find big frat dudes from CSUS who want to brawl. Brew it up is a good place but it is not cheap. Kasbah on Jay street is really good, as well as INK. If your looking for something cheap and still has class (which can be rare downtown and midtown in many areas) go to Fox and Goose. Some of the bars on K street maybe "Gay Friendly", but you will find more professional service and cleaner atmospshere and some really good food at those places. Other places worth checking: The Uppper Level (I think thats the name, its on a 2nd floor on Jay Street), and some places in East Sac. Pine Cove is nicer than it used to be.

Cynikal
May 16, 2008, 10:03 PM
For an upscale happy hour you should try Mason's. Great (and cheap) appetizers and the drinks are fair.

jsf8278
May 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
Unless your into losers that think they are cool because they have tattoos, avoid Q Street (Benny's) and Zebra and Press club, Limelight is a great place to find big frat dudes from CSUS who want to brawl. Brew it up is a good place but it is not cheap. Kasbah on Jay street is really good, as well as INK. If your looking for something cheap and still has class (which can be rare downtown and midtown in many areas) go to Fox and Goose. Some of the bars on K street maybe "Gay Friendly", but you will find more professional service and cleaner atmospshere and some really good food at those places. Other places worth checking: The Uppper Level (I think thats the name, its on a 2nd floor on Jay Street), and some places in East Sac. Pine Cove is nicer than it used to be.

I've been meaning to check out Upper Level, it looks pretty cool.
Thanks for the heads up on the places frequented by frat guys and losers with tattoos. Not really my crowd.
I think I'll check out Fox and Goose.

otnemarcaS
May 17, 2008, 1:41 AM
The name is Level Up not Upper Level if you are referring to the food and lounge above Thai Basil on J street.

jsf8278
May 17, 2008, 4:35 AM
oh yeah I meant Level UP...bad proof read on my part!

econgrad
May 17, 2008, 6:02 AM
The name is Level Up not Upper Level if you are referring to the food and lounge above Thai Basil on J street.

Thanks for the correction.

Pistola916
May 18, 2008, 6:20 AM
Hip, artsy heart beats in Sacramento's midtown
'Grid' turning into the place to hang out
Spud Hilton, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, May 17, 2008

It used to be the most you could say about Sacramento's midtown was that it has pleasant, tree-canopied streets and row after row of Victorian-era homes, most remarkably well-preserved.

Yawn.

What used to be a cultural dead zone and excitement black hole between downtown and the burbs, however, quite suddenly has a hot, hip, walkable neighborhood at its heart, with dozens of stylish white-linen restaurants, of-the-moment boutique shops and galleries, and a sophisticated bohemian vibe not typically associated with, well, Sacramento.

It still has the trees and Victorians, but hardly anyone notices those anymore.

The midtown - officially called "the Grid" by locals and some savvy marketing firm - is still a work in progress, but it easily offers enough new diversions for a Sacramento weekend that have nothing to do with Gold Rush history or gargantuan shopping malls. The whole of the Grid is about 2 square miles, but at its center are about 24 square blocks (from 16th to 24th and from J Street to Capitol Avenue) that offer an accessible concentration of hip bistros and shops, including one intersection from which a well-thrown baseball could hit two funky coffeehouses, a wine-tasting shop and adjacent bar, three eclectic boutiques and four restaurants that would rate well by San Francisco standards.

Among the newer businesses is Newsbeat, a magazine, candy and smoke shop on 20th Street that carries a mind-boggling array of titles (usually a positive sign about neighborhood sophistication). Owners Janis and Terence Lott had a downtown store, but closed it to move into the MARRS (Midtown Art Retail Restaurant Scene) building, a bunkerlike retail development built into a 1940s warehouse. Now it has umbrellas and a wooden deck that provides bistro dining and sipping for Peet's Coffee, Luigi's Pizza Parlor, Mexican restaurant Azul and, eventually, a chic lounge and restaurant to anchor it.

"We're very excited about it all," said Janis Lott. "We feel like we're right at the heartbeat of everything."

Why go now: This latest incarnation of this neighborhood is barely old enough for preschool, which means it's growing - in size and sophistication - without yet succumbing to the pretentious crowds and the insufferable trendiness typically associated with an "arts district."

Backstory: Much of the renaissance can be attributed to new mixed-use loft housing that has sprouted in the past year or two (including two projects that filled what had been longtime vacant lots), as well as to savvy retail developers making sure that the young professionals who move in have a sophisticated selection of restaurants and shops.

Checking in: Lodging is relatively sparse, save for the cookie-cutter chains nearby that cater to conventioneers. Amber House Bed and Breakfast was highly recommended, but was booked for my weekend. I stayed instead at the Residence Inn Capitol Park (Marriott) near the east end of the park. A little pricy, but includes full breakfast, free wireless access and a full kitchen - which comes in handy with refrigerating and reheating leftovers from the previous night's bistro-hopping.

Spend your day: Start off at Plum Blossom Chinese Stir-Fried and Bakery Express (slogan: "Authentic yet progressive") for coffee and all manner of buns, from cheese to spicy beef to pineapple. Stroll over to Capitol Avenue and turn toward the state Capitol, making sure to notice the wealth of vintage homes - Queen Anns, California-style bungalows, Arts and Crafts cottages - including an impressive number converted to businesses, including law firms, yoga studios, salons and tattoo parlors. After spending a little time in Capitol Park (technically not in the Grid, but worth the brief detour), head to Capitol and 18th Street for outdoor lunch at Crepeville or Paesanos, taking time to admire outdoor seating at five restaurants at the intersection. Survey the snacking and shopping options at the MARRS building over at 20th and J streets, but return to get an afternoon java at the funky Old Soul Co. coffeehouse, a former warehouse where the baking is a spectator event (no walls separating kitchen from lounge). Browse the shelves at Zanzibar Trading Company (Buddhas and candles) and the French-themed Le Petit Paris (French stuff), and do a little wine-tasting at 58 Degrees on 18th Street before dinner at Zócalo.

Dining: Zócalo is a gorgeous, upscale eating place built into a 1930s car dealership that prides itself on its decor (all artwork and design by Guadalajara, Mexico, artist Ernesto Cruz), its authentic and modern dishes and a truly impressive margarita menu. During the day and on warm nights, the staff opens the giant windows, making even the interior feel like outdoor seating. (Guides labeled Eat the Grid and Shop the Grid are available at most businesses, although quite a few good restaurants are not listed in Eat the Grid, so don't rely solely on its recommendations.)

Don't miss: The Second Saturday Art Walk, a rollicking gallery and boutique event that started small but now requires closed-off streets and crowd control.

Don't bother: Skip Old Town Sacramento on this trip. Relax, stroll and dine with the locals instead.

Word to the wise: Parking is strictly monitored and can be a mess around lunchtime. Leave the car at the hotel (if possible) and walk everywhere

Pistola916
May 18, 2008, 6:32 AM
I also wrote a story earlier in the semester for the San Francisco State magazine on Midtown. Good to see my hometown growing up.

Majin
May 18, 2008, 8:36 AM
Uh, "The Grid" refers to DT and MT, not just MT.

wburg
May 18, 2008, 3:49 PM
Nice story, but yeah, the "grid" is the entire old city: from the train tracks to Broadway, from the river to Alhambra.

I'd beg to differ about the idea that Sacramento was a cultural wasteland up until a couple of years ago: there was plenty of stuff going on, but most people just didn't hear about it. Most of the people behind Sacramento's current bounce into the public eye are folks who have done things here for decades--like Newsbeat, which has always had that mind-boggling array of magazines, they were just downtown rather than midtown.

otnemarcaS
May 18, 2008, 5:32 PM
Skip Old Town Sacramento? Looks like Old Sac needs to step it up else lose their spot as Sac's top tourist attraction. Nah, like SF's Fisherman's wharf and Pier 39, there'd always be tourists mingling around stores selling cheap t-shirts and the like. I watched a play last weekend at Delta King at about 2pm and Old Sac was absolutely crowded with folks walking around everywhere.

TowerDistrict
May 19, 2008, 6:04 AM
Yeah, all comments and articles about Sacramento by an outside source have to begin with a backhanded compliment. It's a big brother type of mentality. The article was cute. It's nice to see Midtown get some deserving attention.

The "grid" mistake is an understandable one too - It sounds like the author was paying attention to a lot of the promotional material that the Midtown Grid (http://www.midtowngrid.com/) puts out. And they primarily cover Midtown, with a few Downtown exceptions. They really do a good job at it too, obviously.

Majin
May 19, 2008, 6:09 PM
Yeah, all comments and articles about Sacramento by an outside source have to begin with a backhanded compliment. It's a big brother type of mentality.

I agree.

Stop sending SF money damn it, you're just feeding their mentality. Stop visiting SF, in fact don't cross Solano/Yolo county line. Don't buy their news papers, don't support anything that comes out of that place. Keep it in the family. Keep it Sactown.

Don't even mention them on this forum again.

wburg
May 19, 2008, 7:55 PM
San Francisco have to justify the ungodly rents they pay somehow--thus their assumption of the basic uninhabitability of any city outside their 7x7.

As much as Econgrad will razz me for saying it, I will give the influx of urban transplants (and suburban visitors) credit for something: they provide customers! Sacramento has always had its interesting creative outlets, but growing beyond a certain size or attracting people to those outlets was always a challenge. It was simply assumed that there was no way Sacramento could have any sort of cutting-edge entertainment, even when we did, because, well, because it was in Sacramento.

Folks washing out from the Bay Area and Los Angeles come in expecting to spend money being entertained, and once local creative folks realized the market was expanding, they started working to take advantage of it. There's a trope called the "creative class," basically the new "yuppie," consisting of professionals who like to spend money being entertained. In many ways, perhaps the name "consumive class" is more appropriate, in that they consider themselves to be creative by the quantity and hipness of creative entertainment that they consume (in the form of clothing, food, music, etcetera.) Now, in some ways, appealing to this class of customer requires a certain amount of 'selling out' in that you are sometimes marketing to an audience instead of creating for your own muse. But for the artist a bit sick of playing to empty rooms, it provides an opportunity to make more of a living off of one's art.

So, for the real creative class, looking at the incoming waves of manscaped urban hepcats can produce both a certain angst at the increase in rents, crappy parking, and the sense of invasion, and also the opportunity to harvest the mighty crop of cash that these newcomers bring to town.

TowerDistrict
May 19, 2008, 9:26 PM
Heh... you always sound so apologetic for Sacramento's more recent success.

Not that I don't get what you're saying. Most of these types of articles are willfully ignorant of the past but how else can they claim they discovered "it" first, if "it" was always happening?

econgrad
May 19, 2008, 9:40 PM
No razzing from me wburg. I will just sit back and be happy for our inner City! It's good to read a positive article.... :cool:

SactownRob
May 19, 2008, 9:51 PM
Boy, when it rains it pours...

Sacramento heats up
Lively arts, restaurant, nightlife scene make it a trendy destination
By Linda Zavoral / San Jose Mercury News
May 18, 2008

Suddenly, Sacramento is a Destination. Some may credit movie star-turned-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for raising the profile of California's capital, but the renaissance actually started long before that. Thousands of young professionals, artists and chefs have been moving there over the past decade - and they've shunned the suburbs in favor of an urban existence.
Now, the town that used to snooze at 5 p.m. when state employees streamed out of the parking garages has one of the state's hottest restaurant scenes, half a dozen wine bars (including one at the airport), new boutique hotels, a thriving arts and theater community, and not one but two slick city magazines (Sacramento and Sactown).

Here are the hot spots to hit on a summer getaway:

THE TRENDY TABLES

Upscale dining
Fabulous restaurants near the Capitol may soon outnumber the lobbyists. At the new and wildly popular Ella Dining Room and Bar (11th and K streets), buzz is the operative word: From the open kitchen to the party-of-12 tables to the speed-walking staff, this is one chic hive of culinary activity. Try the wood-grilled specialties and the designer cocktails. Other culinary and architectural standouts: Mason's at the Park Downtown (1116 15th St.); Restaurant 55 Degrees (555 Capitol Mall); Spataro (1415 L St.); Bistro 33 Midtown (1020 16th St.).
For high-end steaks and chops: The Broiler (1201 K St.); Chops (1117 11th St.); Esquire Grill (1213 K St.); Morton's (521 LSt.).

Budget-friendly
Three of the newer Midtown eateries appeal to families: At 2416 J St., Chicago Fire, owned by an Illinois expatriate, serves up deep dish and thin crust nightly from 4 p.m. on. Fins Market & Grill (1901 S St.) specializes in fresh seafood; at $7.95, the calamari and salmon sandwiches are a deal. Suzie Burger, in a restored service station at 29th and P streets, aims to re-create the '50s drive-in experience with hamburgers, hot dogs and fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Wine bars
Pair small dishes or entrees with any number of wines by the glass at the L Wine Lounge & Urban Kitchen (1801 L St.) and 58 Degrees and Holding Co. (1217 18th St.). In Old Sacramento, the Discover California! Wine Bar (114 J St.) showcases small, boutique wineries from throughout the state. Even Sacramento International Airport passengers can swirl and sip: Vino Volo pours wine flights daily in Terminal A.

Capital classics
Biba (the cuisine of Emilia-Romagna); Ernesto's (order the carnitas); the Firehouse (elegance in Old Sac); Frank Fat's (Chinese with a side of politics); Paragary's (introduced the capital to California cuisine).

THE ARTS AND FESTIVAL SCENE

Sacramento Jazz Jubilee
What started 35 years ago as a traditional jazz festival has evolved into a celebration of many genres: blues, Latin, zydeco, big band, swing, Western swing, gospel and ragtime. This year's Jubilee will present 110 bands over the long Memorial Day Weekend (May 23-26) at 32 venues throughout Old Sacramento and downtown. Headlining is New Orleans jazz-funk trumpeter Kermit Ruffins and his Barbecue Swingers. Daily tickets, $20-$40. Details: www.sacjazz.com.

Second Saturday Art Walk
Sacramento's pleasant summer evenings lend themselves to strolling - and the city's art galleries are happy to oblige by throwing open their doors on the second Saturday night of each month. Most of the action is in Midtown. Upcoming dates: June 14, July 12, Aug. 9. Find a map, guide and parking tips at http://2nd-sat.com.

Sacramento French Film Festival
Francophiles can view new French film releases as well as showings of French classics in the renovated Crest Theatre downtown. All films are shown with English subtitles. This year's event runs July 18-27. Details: sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org.

Gold Rush Days
It takes 200 tons of dirt to bring the Gold Rush to life. Yep, those were dusty days, so they cover the paved streets of Old Sacramento, then bring in an array of "living history" characters - gold miners, gunslingers, musicians, soldiers, card sharps, saloon girls, temperance union scolds - to help turn back the hands of time. Kids can pan for gold, play games. Details: Aug. 29-Sept. 1. Free admission. www.discovergold.org.

Capital classics
Music Circus (theater in the round) and the B Street Theatre; California State Fair (Aug. 15-Sept. 1); California State Railroad Museum (don't miss the Pullman sleeping car); Crocker Art Museum (on until July 27: four centuries of nudes); and Sacramento River Cats (Triple-A baseball).

A PRIMER ON VISITING SACRAMENTO

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, Amtrak's Capitol Corridor travels from San Jose to Sacramento - and stops right next to Old Sacramento, making it convenient for Jazz Jubilee fans and others. Schedules, rates: www.capitolcorridor.org.
Downtown vs. Midtown
Both areas are just north of Interstate 80. Downtown runs from the Sacramento River/Old Sacramento to 16th Street. The area known as Midtown - or "the grid" to the hip crowd - consists of the blocks from 16th Street east to the Capital City Freeway (Business Interstate 80).
Where to eat
Many of the restaurants listed on Page 1TR are participating in the second annual Sacramento Wine & Dine, June 7-14. This event allows diners to sample three- to four-course dinners at a discount. For a full list, check www.sacramentowineanddine.com.
Need more options? We enjoy (and trust) the reviews by the Sacramento Bee's team of Mike Dunne (fine dining) and Allen Pierleoni (casual dining). Find them at www.sacbee.com. under Entertainment, then Dining.

Where to stay
In the downtown/Midtown areas
Amber House Bed and Breakfast Inn, 1315 22nd St., two historic mansions. (800) 755-6526, www.amberhouse.com.
Embassy Suites, 100 Capitol Mall, is on the Sacramento River, next to Old Sacramento. (916) 326-5000, www.sacramento.embassysuites.com.
Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza, 300 J St., near Old Sacramento. (916) 446-0100, www.holidayinnsacramento.com.
Hyatt Regency, 1209 L St., across from the state Capitol. (916) 443-1234, www.sacramento.hyatt.com.
The Inn & Spa at Parkside, 2116 Sixth St., in a 1936 mansion. (800) 995-7275, www.innatparkside.com.
Marriott Residence Inn at Capitol Park, 1501 L St. (916) 443-0500, www.marriott.com/sacdt.
Sheraton Grand Sacramento, 1230 J St., located next to the convention center. (916) 447-1700, www.sheraton.com/sacramento.
Coming soon: A boutique property by Joie de Vivre, the Citizen Hotel, will open this fall at 926 J St. Details: www.jdvhotels.com.
New hotels in other areas
Le Rivage, 4350 Riverside Blvd., is a new luxury hotel along the riverfront, a couple of miles south of Old Sacramento. (916) 443-8400, www.lerivagehotel.com.
Lion's Gate Hotel & Cottage Suites, 3410 Westover St., Bldg. 150, is on the grounds of the former McClellan Air Force Base. (916) 643-6222, www.lionsgatehotel.com.

Deals, discounts
The Sacramento Gold Card, available free to all guests of participating hotels, offers an assortment of savings. Among them:
• Two-for-one admissions: Aerospace Museum of California, California Museum for History, Women and the Arts, California State Indian Museum, California State Railroad Museum, Crocker Art Museum, Discovery Museum Gold Rush History Center, Esquire Imax Theatre, Fairytale Town, Governor's Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento Theatre Company, Sacramento Zoo, Sutter's Fort State Historic Park, Towe Auto Museum.
• Discounts: Escape Sacramento Tours, Hysterical Walks & Rides, River Cats baseball, Sacramento River Train.
• Restaurant discounts: Fourth Street Grille, Brew It Up! Brewery and Grill, Brookfields, Chops Steak Seafood, Esquire Grill, Hard Rock Cafe, Paragary's, Pyramid Ale House, Rio City Cafe, Spataro.
Tourism info
The Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau maintains a calendar of events and lots of other helpful information on its Web site, www.discovergold.org. Phone (800) 292-2334.
- Linda Zavoral, Mercury News, (408) 920-5960, travel@mercurynews.com

wburg
May 19, 2008, 9:53 PM
TD: Perhaps because I consider it a qualified, limited sort of success, one that came with certain costs. And perhaps because I don't rule out that some of the folks moving here are creative in their own right (nothing draws artists like cheap rent.) Articles like this often suggest that the influx of Bay Areans brought the gift of culture to us unwashed dirt merchants in Sacramento, which naturally gets on my nerves.

That, and the bit about people hardly noticing the trees and Victorians kinda sticks in my craw. The trees and the Victorians are, in my profoundly subjective opinion, two of the main reasons why Midtown works and downtown doesn't.

wburg
May 19, 2008, 9:58 PM
Okay, I posted the above post before the new article went up...I should note that I'm referring to the one posted on Saturday the 17th in the above post. Although the "Bay Areans moving to Sacramento in the past decade" is featured prominently in this article too...the only real incongruity is that the author doesn't realize that downtown Sacramento is *south* of I-80, it is Highway 50 that runs south of downtown and the freeway that connects 50 back to 80 is Business Loop 80 and not the interstate...and he's apparently also buying into the "midtown, not downtown, equals 'the grid'" nonsense.

TowerDistrict
May 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
When I'm out and about, it seems less like Bay Areans clammoring to grab a piece of Sacramento, and more like Sacramentans who just discovered their own city again. And I like that.

If Downtown/Midtown attracted just 5% of the City's population to come out each weekend - we would have first, second, third and fourth Saturdays. Maybe even businesses open on Sundays too!

BrianSac
May 19, 2008, 10:23 PM
This article appears in the May 2008 issue of VIA Magazine.

CAPITAL GAINS
Sacramento is All Grown Up

By Bruce Newman

SACRAMENTO’S REPUTATION AS A COW TOWN persisted long after the herds had actually left. As the western terminus of the nation’s first transcontinental railroad, the city was a natural gathering point for cattlemen, although later the bovine references probably had more to do with state legislators who stampeded out of town to the suburbs every night. "But people are starting to realize that Sacramento isn’t a cow town anymore," says Diane Tempest, whose Galleria Tempest shares space with Blooming Art in the Midtown district, the city’s lively eating and schmoozing hot spot. A wildly popular art walk through the neighborhood’s galleries and boutiques on the second Saturday evening of every month has helped transform Sacramento’s sundown stampede into a galloping nightlife.

"It was time for the town to grow up," says Ame Harrington, executive chef at L Wine Lounge & Urban Kitchen, where nightly winetastings take flight.

The alluring mix that makes Midtown a draw is reflected in Tempest’s combination of work by local artists, her daughter’s cutting-edge floral designs, and the wine bar next door. A block away at Bows and Arrows, vintage furniture and clothing treasures share what co-owner Olivia Coelho calls "three thousand square feet of ’60s and ’70s awesomeness."

The 2nd Saturday Art Walk emerged from the trunk shows of a few scattered Midtown boutiques in the ’90s, and now virtually every shop, café, and valet parking spot has an exhibition or an easel up, with music playing somewhere close by. Zanzibar Tribal Art Gallery at 18th and
L streets is a good place to start at 6 p.m. Pick up a map there or get one at www.2nd-sat.com.

"If you want to buy art for under $200, check out the coffee shops and boutiques," Coelho advises. Stroll along J Street to Cuffs Urban Apparel, which imports deejays on the art walk night, and the Spanish Fly Hair Garage, where you might hear a band and see a fashion show.

Sacramento’s greatest hits
CALIFORNIA HALL OF FAME
Founded by California First Lady Maria Shriver two years ago, it spotlights state luminaries such as Walt Disney, Jackie Robinson, and Sally Ride. 1020 O St., (916) 653-7524, www.californiamuseum.org.

CALIFORNIA STATE CAPITOL MUSEUM
Daily tours show state history and lawmaking. 10th and L streets., (916) 324-0333, www.capitolmuseum.ca.gov.

CALIFORNIA STATE RAILROAD MUSEUM
For insight into the technology behind the opening of the West, visit this dazzling stable of iron horses. 111 I St., (916) 323-9280, www.csrmf.org.

CROCKER ART MUSEUM
The oldest continuously operating art museum west of the Mississippi River is in the midst of an expansion that will triple its size. 216 O St., (916) 808-7000, www.crockerartmuseum.org.

OLD SACRAMENTO
A riverside re-creation of Gold Rush days. Front Street between I and L streets, (916) 442-7644, www.oldsacramento.com.

That’s a lot to experience in three hours, but Sacramento has summer evenings that encourage late meals outside. "It can get hot during the day," says Tempest, "but around 6:30 or 7 the delta breezes come in and it’s glorious."

Hip dining spots in Midtown include palatepleasing hangouts such as the Waterboy (known for its sweetbreads, sometimes sauteed with marsala, bacon, and mushrooms), and the high-end Mexican restaurant Zocalo, in the theatrically reconstituted Arnold Bros. auto showroom. Zocalo’s pozole verde—a tangy hominy stew with pork, cabbage, and lime—is
a must.

Sacramento has become what many cities aspire to be: a great walking town. Along Midtown streets, under a canopy of Dutch elm trees, the scene hums. You can hear it, too, in the disagreement over the proper temperature at which to chill wine that is being subtly waged between Restaurant 55 Degrees and nearby 58 Degrees and Holding Co.

Art and food have become so intertwined in Midtown that the second Saturday easels-and-eats crawl includes a stop at Michelangelo’s Italian Art Restaurant, where dining and painting are both alfresco. The spaghetti comes with just one meatball, but it’s the size of a softball. Get a table along the east wall and you can add your signature to others by a painted mural. Then visit the adjoining gallery to see how the pros do it.

The art at Moxie restaurant is all in the way owner Adam Chaccour reels off more than a dozen Italian specials as if he were performing an aria. If you prefer the main menu, try his hearty meat loaf.

Sacramento’s cuisine may be nouvelle, but its history is Old West. It’s an easy walk from Moxie to the area’s first European settlement at Sutter’s Fort. About nine times a year, the fort has Pioneer Demonstration Days. On May 17, docents will reenact candle making, blacksmithing, and bread baking in a beehive oven.

If you have a passion for Victorian architecture, tour the Governor’s Mansion at 16th and H streets and the Leland Stanford Mansion at Eighth and N streets, both now state historic parks. The posh Governor’s Mansion, built in 1877 and furnished with fireplaces of Italian marble, gives you a glimpse of how the Golden State’s chief executives lived from 1903 until 1967, when it was briefly inhabited by California’s first actor-turned-governor, Ronald Reagan. Contrast this with the grandeur of Leland Stanford’s 19,000-square-foot former estate and its 19th-century-style gardens.

On Midtown’s southern border along Broadway, the fabled but now defunct Tower Records chain got its start under the neon beacon of the Tower Theatre. The cinema still thrives on a schedule of independent and foreign films. The Tower Cafe next door offers outdoor seating, and it’s a favorite breakfast stop for locals addicted to the delicious blueberry cornmeal pancakes.

From Midtown, a quick drive takes you to family-friendly Old Sacramento, west along the Sacramento River, and to William Land Park, south of Broadway. The park contains the zoo—which is home to endangered animals such as the white-handed gibbon—and the toddler-oriented Fairytale Town, where Mary’s Little Lamb will put her hooves right up on the rail to give you a woolly greeting. "All the doorways are low here," says a park ranger, "so the kids feel they’re in charge for a while."

After viewing animals—wild and tame—families can acquaint themselves with the ground-beef triangle formed by Ford’s Real Hamburgers, Willie’s Burgers & Chiliburger, and Suzie Burger. At Ford’s you can try what is unmistakably the city’s finest banana milk shake. Willie’s thoughtfully provides paper towel dispensers on the wall next to its tables. Suzie dishes up both burgers and cheesesteaks and is scenically located in what was, until recently, a gas station.

Fill ’er up. Whether you’re seeking a classic burger or a hopping gallery and dining scene, this town is now a capital destination.

If you're going . . .

Pick up the Northern California & Nevada TourBook and Sacramento North–Citrus Heights and Sacramento South–Elk Grove maps. For more information, contact the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau: 1608 I St., (916) 808-7777, www.discovergold.org. Area code
is 916.

EATS
Ford’s Real Hamburgers 1948 Sutterville Rd., 452-6979. Suzie Burger 29th and P streets, 455-3500, www.suzieburger.com. Tower Cafe 1518 Broadway, 441-0222, www.towercafe.com. Waterboy 2000 Capitol Ave., 498- 9891, www.waterboyrestaurant.com. Willie’s Burgers & Chiliburger 2415 16th St., 444-2006, www.williesburgers.com. Zocalo 1801 Capitol Ave., 441-0303, www.zocalosacramento.com.

SLEEPS
Inn Off Capitol Park From $104. 1530 N St., 447-8100, www.innoffcapitolpark.com. Le Rivage Hotel From $209. 4350 Riverside Blvd., 443-8400, www.lerivagehotel.com. Sterling Hotel From $189. 1300 H St., 448-1300, www.sterlinghotel.com.

Photography by Catherine Karnow

BrianSac
May 19, 2008, 10:39 PM
:previous:

I predicted Sacramento would be getting this sort of attention several years back. Part of my vision was that we would have Saca's 301 Capitol Mall and Aura as iconic backdrops to this "new" Sacramento that California and the Nation would be discovering. With a few adjustments and additions to Sacramento's economy, Sacramento really could become one of those "cool'' cities to move to in the coming decade, similar to Seattle in the 90's and Austin and Portland today.

wburg
May 19, 2008, 10:51 PM
The VIA article irritated me worse than the other two, partially just because we were never a cattle center (our business was railroading and vegetable processing, not slaughterhouses!) and the absolutely laughable "ground beef triangle" idea.

Majin
May 19, 2008, 11:04 PM
The trees and the Victorians are, in my profoundly subjective opinion, two of the main reasons why Midtown works and downtown doesn't.

No.

Majin
May 19, 2008, 11:11 PM
The VIA article irritated me worse than the other two, partially just because we were never a cattle center (our business was railroading and vegetable processing, not slaughterhouses!) and the absolutely laughable "ground beef triangle" idea.

Yeah seriously.

There are real "cowtowns" out there (Dixon, etc), but I don't seen how Sacramento has every qualified as one since it's incorporation in 1849.

wburg
May 20, 2008, 12:58 AM
I used to live in Dixon (my mom even worked at the Milk Farm) in the early seventies--the whole town smelled like cow poo When riding from Sacramento to the Bay Area or Davis I used to be able to tell where Dixon was by smell alone.

Before someone goes and looks it up, there were slaughterhouses and even some cattle ranching in the vicinity of Sacramento--notably the Heilbron and Swanston families--but their slaughterhouse operations were well outside town, as they tend to smell really, really bad. Nothing on the order of Chicago's massive slaughterhouses.

The "cow town" moniker gets applied to a lot of working cities, better known as blue-collar centers regardless of their primary industries--Pittsburgh, Portland, Cleveland, what have you--or their actual level of local sophistication. Portland, for example, was overshadowed by Seattle for most of its existence, much as Sacramento has sat in the shadow of San Francisco. When Seattle's early-nineties hipness started to go sour and rents got too high, Portland started to attract expatriates--and I'm willing to bet that within a few years Seattle travel writers started writing "Portland's not a cow town anymore!" articles...

creamcityleo79
May 20, 2008, 1:35 AM
I used to live in Dixon (my mom even worked at the Milk Farm) in the early seventies--the whole town smelled like cow poo When riding from Sacramento to the Bay Area or Davis I used to be able to tell where Dixon was by smell alone.

Before someone goes and looks it up, there were slaughterhouses and even some cattle ranching in the vicinity of Sacramento--notably the Heilbron and Swanston families--but their slaughterhouse operations were well outside town, as they tend to smell really, really bad. Nothing on the order of Chicago's massive slaughterhouses.

The "cow town" moniker gets applied to a lot of working cities, better known as blue-collar centers regardless of their primary industries--Pittsburgh, Portland, Cleveland, what have you--or their actual level of local sophistication. Portland, for example, was overshadowed by Seattle for most of its existence, much as Sacramento has sat in the shadow of San Francisco. When Seattle's early-nineties hipness started to go sour and rents got too high, Portland started to attract expatriates--and I'm willing to bet that within a few years Seattle travel writers started writing "Portland's not a cow town anymore!" articles...
That's a great comeback argument! "Chicago was once a cow town!"...and I find it even more hilarious that the biggest person in recent history to call Sacramento a cow town was none other than Phil Jackson, former coach of the CHICAGO Bulls!

TowerDistrict
May 20, 2008, 3:28 AM
well what do basketball players know about cities anyway?

heheh ;)

econgrad
May 20, 2008, 4:01 AM
^ Unfortunately the term "Cow Town" which I agree with all of you has been mis-used for decades and decades. What they (they meaning the assmonkeys that used that term) meant by "Cow Town" is Sacramentans are unsophisticated people. Its a more acceptable term than "White Trash", which is what they really meant when they said "Cow Town". It really has nothing to do with cows or ranching at all. Sacramento has or had an image problem being trashy and unsophisticated. I hate the "Bay Area Transplants saved Sacramento" false belief more than any of you know. My God! I agree with Wburg!

Majin
May 20, 2008, 6:17 PM
Damn I think this is a topic we can finally all agree on :)

goldcntry
May 20, 2008, 6:28 PM
Forget the full-moon theory... the planets must be in alignment if we're all agreeing on the same thing! :yes:

L8 4 Tahoe
May 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
Another plus for our dining and nightlife here in town is I got an email a couple of days ago from Zagat informing me that they are doing a survey here in town. If you vote in the survey they will send you a free guide when it gets published. Nice to see Sacramento get included in this!

Pistola916
May 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
^
Im happy Sac is getting notice for its dining experience...Maybe down the road Frommers, Lonely Planet will do a Sacramento edition

travis bickle
May 20, 2008, 11:58 PM
Another plus for our dining and nightlife here in town is I got an email a couple of days ago from Zagat informing me that they are doing a survey here in town. If you vote in the survey they will send you a free guide when it gets published. Nice to see Sacramento get included in this!

My understanding is that Sacramento is to be incorporated into the San Francisco book which covers all of Northern California. Zagat has recently been moving toward more regional guides, so this inclusion is all good. I too cringe at the notion that Sacramento was rescued by Bay Area transplants, but this migration undoubtedly played some role. I suspect that role was more in getting the word out than it was in actually generating local taste. For Sacramento, which not very long ago was considered a culinary cesspool, Zagat recognition is a real acknowledgment of growing sophistication and maturity.

For generations, Sacramento's best and brightest felt they had to move away to achieve greatness and enjoy a stimulating lifestyle. That is simply no longer the case. This is just more evidence of that. Yea! :cheers:

Majin
May 21, 2008, 12:23 AM
My understanding is that Sacramento is to be incorporated into the San Francisco book

:yuck:

SactownRob
May 21, 2008, 12:43 AM
My understanding is that Sacramento is to be incorporated into the San Francisco book which covers all of Northern California.

Nope. We'll be included in their 2009 America's Best Restaurants guide along with about 40 other cities. We blogged about it the other day:

http://www.sactownmag.com/blog/?p=63

Very good news for Sacramento!

travis bickle
May 21, 2008, 3:22 AM
Nope. We'll be included in their 2009 America's Best Restaurants guide along with about 40 other cities. We blogged about it the other day:

http://www.sactownmag.com/blog/?p=63

Very good news for Sacramento!

Well that's great news Rob! It's great to see Sacramento get recognized with 40 other of America's best culinary towns. I know you played a part in this so please accept this "atta boy." Please clarify, does this mean that Sacramento will get a separate Zagat guide or does this mean that Sacramento is included in a single edition that covers about 41 cities across America?

SactownRob
May 21, 2008, 5:34 AM
Well that's great news Rob! It's great to see Sacramento get recognized with 40 other of America's best culinary towns. I know you played a part in this so please accept this "atta boy." Please clarify, does this mean that Sacramento will get a separate Zagat guide or does this mean that Sacramento is included in a single edition that covers about 41 cities across America?

It will just be part of the national guide with the 40-42 cities. Only a small handful of the biggest cities get their own full-sized guide (New York, L.A., etc), so it's no slight that we don't have one.

Sachornet
May 22, 2008, 5:13 PM
It looks like there is another ultra lounge opening up on 7th and J called "Image VIP Lounge". According to their website, they'll be open on May 29th. http://www.imageviplounge.com/index.html

Has anyone heard anything about this place?

wburg
May 22, 2008, 8:30 PM
I saw the sign go up, there is some work going on in the building--there was recently some work on the other side of the same block. It used to be Ricci's Bar.

The news I heard that I'm pretty excited about is an all-ages music venue going into MARRS: small, capacity less than 100, with KDVS DJ Rick Ele doing the booking. The owner is concerned that the corner isn't busy enough from 8 PM-11 PM, and a live music venue will keep things hopping in the later evening.

TowerDistrict
May 22, 2008, 8:45 PM
The news I heard that I'm pretty excited about is an all-ages music venue going into MARRS: small, capacity less than 100, with KDVS DJ Rick Ele doing the booking. The owner is concerned that the corner isn't busy enough from 8 PM-11 PM, and a live music venue will keep things hopping in the later evening.

That's awesome news. Especially about who would be doing the booking. I love DJ Rick's show on KDVS (http://artforspastics.blogspot.com/). I'm not a fan of house shows and I don't go to Davis for anything. Midtown has been sorely lacking since Fools Foundation closed. This will be perfect!

otnemarcaS
May 22, 2008, 9:33 PM
It looks like there is another ultra lounge opening up on 7th and J called "Image VIP Lounge". According to their website, they'll be open on May 29th. http://www.imageviplounge.com/index.html

Has anyone heard anything about this place?

Indeed, that used to be the old Ricci's bar and restaurant. It was also a nightclub for the longest time but I think it went downhill of late and they decided for an image (pun intended) change.

BrianSac
May 27, 2008, 7:58 PM
The following article appeared in the Bay Area Reporter, and the writer manages to promote Sacramento without taking potshots and jabs at our fair city. Also note TJ Bruce will be addding another nightspot/bar to his little empire.

Swingin' in Sacramento

In the Bars
A tale of two clubs, a burger joint and a hotel
Published 04/24/2008 in the BAY AREA REPORTER

by Mike Sher

Make-a-Date Mardi Gras night at The Depot. Photo: Courtesy The Depot

If you're looking for action in Sacramento, you can't go wrong at the corner of 20th and K Streets. On the corner at 2001 K is The Depot, a long-standing video bar. Right next to it at 2003 K is Badlands Sacramento, a pulsating dance club a little over a year old. Right next door, under the same management, is Hot Rod's, a classic burger, shakes and fries joint. And there's more to come. T.J. Bruce, owner of all three, tells us that soon, he's going to start building a country and western gay bar in the space above Hot Rod's.

Badlands Sacramento has no connection at all with Badlands in the Castro, which has seen its share of controversy. But Bruce is a consultant and contractor who helped Les Natali build the San Francisco Badlands. He'd been operating The Depot for a number of years, and decided to build something glitzier.

The result is something spectacular, worth a special trip to Sacramento. There are three stories of fun, and four different bars, one of which doubles as the coat check. A little to your right as you enter is a large oval bar with TV screens. In back is a large dance area. There are plasma TVs throughout, and an outdoor smoking area complete with waterfall.

Every Monday is Mad Monday, with two-for-one cocktails day and night. Tuesday is Noche de Hombres, with a special Latin flair. Wednesday is Girls' Night Out, and Thursday has seductive go-go boys. Friday is F.A.G. Friday, standing for Fabulous And Gay. Saturdays have high-energy dance videos, and Sunday features tea dancing, with $1 domestic and $2 import drafts.

Bruce is very committed to charitable events. He's held fundraisers for Stonewall Democrats and for the group CARES, helping people living with AIDS. In June, there will be a float in the gay parade.

The Depot is for drinking and TV watching, but every Sunday from 4-8 p.m. you can play bingo. It's hosted by Misha Kennedy with Bingo Bunnies Felicity and Rusty. There are $1 drafts and $3 pitchers, and bingo is free with a drink purchase. At 6 p.m., there's free pizza with a drink purchase. Winners can spin the prize wheel for a chance at hundreds of dollars of prizes.

Sunday nights, you can see live strippers and, during the season, football. During the new season, you can follow Desperate Housewives. Mondays, it's two-for-one cocktails and free pool all day. You can cheer them on in Monday night football, and follow The L Word. Fridays are F.A.G. Fridays at the Depot, too, with two-for-one premium cocktails, $1 well cocktails and $1 domestic drafts. Saturdays feature comedy with a beer bust from 4-8 p.m. spotlighting $1 draft Pabst and $3 pitchers.

When it's all over, a great place to crash for the night is the Sheraton Grand Sacramento, not too far away at 1230 J Street. It's in the beautifully restored Public Market Building. We stayed on the 26th floor, and the view was so spectacular that we didn't draw the curtains at night, preferring to let the gorgeous scenery and stars shine in. There's a club with morning snacks and evening cocktails. For dinner, we tried Morgan's, named after one of the original vendors in the building, not the financier. The floor of Morgan's is vast, and you can tell it used to be the original marketplace. The kitchen is open to view in back, and we enjoyed everything from a rich cream of mushroom soup to succulent short ribs. The hotel is not only convenient to the bars, but is close to the State Capitol, and who knows, you might even spot the #1 hunk, Governor Arnold.

For drinking, dancing and cavorting, a trip to Sacramento can't be beat.

The Depot, 2001 K St., Sacramento, (916) 441-6823, www.thedepot.net. Badlands Sacramento, 2003 K St., Sacramento, (916) 448-8790, www.sacbadlands.com. Both bars open from 4 p.m.-2 a.m. daily. Sheraton Grand Sacramento, 1230 J St. (916) 447-1700.

Sachornet
May 27, 2008, 11:26 PM
I waited too long and never got around to checking out Gianni's Trattoria.

May 26, 2008
Peter Torza Pulls the Plug
After vacillating for weeks over the future of his Gianni's Trattoria in midtown Sacramento, Peter Torza is closing down the business and putting it on the market. Last call is this coming weekend.

"I gave this my all, but it jut didn't work. It hurts," said Torza Monday afternoon after dispatching a media email to announce his decision. "Rewards were many, but at my age this place takes just too much of my time. And time is pretty precious," wrote Torza.

He opened the sleek Gianni's in April of 2007 as a successor to his Black Pearl Oyster Bar in the same quarters. The Black Pearl had become too much of a bar scene for his taste and he hoped Gianni's would strike a better balance between restaurant and lounge, but that equilibrium never materialized. The restaurant was doing fine, but the bar business had fallen off. "You need the two of them."

He also speculated that Gianni's may have been hurt by the larger and splashier G.V. Hurley's restaurant and bar that opened recently next door, and by high gas prices that could be discouraging suburban residents from driving into Sacramento for dinner, especially midweek.

The final straw came this weekend, when business was "horrible," said Torza. "I loved doing it, but I don't want to work this hard this late in my life."

His plans are uncertain, though he indicated he'd be giving more of his time to nearby Harlow's, in which he is a principal. He's also thinking of relocating to Italy for a few months. He's also thinking of being a restaurant consultant, helping design new places but not operating them. "I feel my job is done," said Torza. "At this point, I think I'd enjoy building them more than running them. But I am going to miss the food here. I love that calamari."

Posted by mdunne at 4:02 PM

wburg
May 28, 2008, 12:34 AM
Nice article above, aside from one inaccuracy: Morgan's, the restaurant in the Sheraton, is not named after one of the building's original vendors (although many of the conference rooms at the Sheraton are.) It is named for Julia Morgan, the architect who designed the Public Market building, along with some other little places like Hearst Castle.

ozone
May 28, 2008, 1:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Gianni's Trattoria is closing. OK blame your failure on everything and everyone else. I've tried many times over the last few months to eat at Gianni's but it was never open. The couple of times that I ate there I really liked the food but the music was so loud I could not fully enjoy the dinning experience.

otnemarcaS
May 28, 2008, 1:45 AM
Yeah, too bad Gianni's Trattoria is closing down. It added to the vibe on that block but G.V. Hurleys has absolutely sucked business from GT. I've only eaten at GT twice. The food was okay but kinda pricey. IMO, he should have taken the cue from Centro's next door and opened a place with more moderate prices to attract midtowners too and not just suburbanites driving in.

Actually, it looks like Peter Torza may have bitten more than he could chew. He just recently closed I Dragoni which was the sandwich and pizza-by-the-slice place that replaced It's a Grind coffee cafe. Based on my experience of service at I Dragoni, that place couldn't close fast enough, although I did enjoy their pizza (which came from Gianni's Trattoria's oven).

This was the article on I Dragoni closing -

Peter Torza Cuts Back
Northern California's increasingly expensive and unsteady economy hasn't led to a shakeout of restaurants, but in another sign that restaurateurs are uneasy Peter Torza has closed his I Dragoni Pizzeria in midtown Sacramento and cut back the days that his adjoining Gianni's Trattoria is open.

I Dragoni, open only two months, just didn't catch on, and to cut losses and to focus on his primary restaurant Torza decided to quickly pull the plug. Over the weekend, he met with employees to discuss options for Gianni's. The group agreed to start closing Tuesdays effective tomorrow to reduce operating costs about 17 percent. While Gianni's has been busy at the end of the week and during weekends, business has slowed appreciably earlier in the week, said Torza. Gianni's already closed Mondays.

Torza also will be trimming some dishes from the Gianni's menu to reduce preparation time and to focus on dishes that already sell well.

"The staff is upbeat and we're trying to come up with better ideas to encourage business," said Torza.

SacTownAndy
May 28, 2008, 5:21 PM
I was just checking out some of the photo threads and had an idea. If anyone is up for it, it would be really cool to see a photo thread of second saturday next month.

What is a Rivercat?
May 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hey all, what do you think is the BEST fine-dining restaurant in metro Sac?

Looking to take the wife out.

BrianSac
May 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
:previous:
Depends on what you and wifey prefer.

My first choice for fine dining is Waterboy (20th & Capitol), next is Mulvaney's Building & Loan Restaurant. (19th & L).

Happy Dining!

Cynikal
May 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
Two solid choices above. Also, check out Moxies.

ltsmotorsport
May 29, 2008, 12:54 AM
Is the Firehouse in old sac still considered one of the top places in the city?

urban_encounter
May 29, 2008, 3:03 AM
I waited too long and never got around to checking out Gianni's Trattoria.

May 26, 2008
Peter Torza Pulls the Plug
After vacillating for weeks over the future of his Gianni's Trattoria in midtown Sacramento, Peter Torza is closing down the business and putting it on the market. Last call is this coming weekend.

"I gave this my all, but it jut didn't work. It hurts," said Torza Monday afternoon after dispatching a media email to announce his decision. "Rewards were many, but at my age this place takes just too much of my time. And time is pretty precious," wrote Torza.

He opened the sleek Gianni's in April of 2007 as a successor to his Black Pearl Oyster Bar in the same quarters. The Black Pearl had become too much of a bar scene for his taste and he hoped Gianni's would strike a better balance between restaurant and lounge, but that equilibrium never materialized. The restaurant was doing fine, but the bar business had fallen off. "You need the two of them."

He also speculated that Gianni's may have been hurt by the larger and splashier G.V. Hurley's restaurant and bar that opened recently next door, and by high gas prices that could be discouraging suburban residents from driving into Sacramento for dinner, especially midweek.

The final straw came this weekend, when business was "horrible," said Torza. "I loved doing it, but I don't want to work this hard this late in my life."

His plans are uncertain, though he indicated he'd be giving more of his time to nearby Harlow's, in which he is a principal. He's also thinking of relocating to Italy for a few months. He's also thinking of being a restaurant consultant, helping design new places but not operating them. "I feel my job is done," said Torza. "At this point, I think I'd enjoy building them more than running them. But I am going to miss the food here. I love that calamari."

Posted by mdunne at 4:02 PM

Too bad, but he probably shouldn't have tinkered with the success of the Black Pearl.. That's a gamble that didn't pay off..

sugit
May 29, 2008, 3:11 AM

If $$$ is no object. The Kitchen. $125 per person. 5 course meal with a Sushi/sashimi intermission. You can ask for 2nds, 3rds, 4ths of any course you want. You'll eat excellent food until you are stuffed and be thoroughly entertained the whole time. It's almost like a dinner and show.

Reservations are tough to get though. Probably need at least a month in advance

Here is the May menu for an example:
http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/menus/may.html

After than, I'm with Brian Waterboy and Mulvaney's are neck and neck for me.

If you want something more upscale and hip. Mason's has a very good menu as well with lots of meats and fished not found on many Sac menus. They are losing their Exec Chef though, so I'm not sure how things have been recently though.

Hasn't been to Ella's yet, but reviews are mixed. Some love it, some not so much.

BrianSac
May 29, 2008, 4:01 AM
Yeah, too bad Gianni's Trattoria is closing down. It added to the vibe on that block but G.V. Hurleys has absolutely sucked business from GT. I've only eaten at GT twice. The food was okay but kinda pricey. IMO, he should have taken the cue from Centro's next door and opened a place with more moderate prices to attract midtowners too and not just suburbanites driving in.

Actually, it looks like Peter Torza may have bitten more than he could chew. He just recently closed I Dragoni which was the sandwich and pizza-by-the-slice place that replaced It's a Grind coffee cafe. Based on my experience of service at I Dragoni, that place couldn't close fast enough, although I did enjoy their pizza (which came from Gianni's Trattoria's oven).

This was the article on I Dragoni closing -

Peter Torza Cuts Back
Northern California's increasingly expensive and unsteady economy hasn't led to a shakeout of restaurants, but in another sign that restaurateurs are uneasy Peter Torza has closed his I Dragoni Pizzeria in midtown Sacramento and cut back the days that his adjoining Gianni's Trattoria is open.

I Dragoni, open only two months, just didn't catch on, and to cut losses and to focus on his primary restaurant Torza decided to quickly pull the plug. Over the weekend, he met with employees to discuss options for Gianni's. The group agreed to start closing Tuesdays effective tomorrow to reduce operating costs about 17 percent. While Gianni's has been busy at the end of the week and during weekends, business has slowed appreciably earlier in the week, said Torza. Gianni's already closed Mondays.

Torza also will be trimming some dishes from the Gianni's menu to reduce preparation time and to focus on dishes that already sell well.

"The staff is upbeat and we're trying to come up with better ideas to encourage business," said Torza.

Gianni's Trattatoria: We gave this place a go about 5months ago, the food was horrible, the drinks water-down and the prices way way too high for pasta. They served chilled red wine and warm white wine. There was something wrong about the whole place; I'm not surprised at all that he is turning in the keys.

After experiencing real Italian trattorias in Rome calling this place a trattoria is a crime worthy of a public gladiator lashing. Trattoria=inexpensive, really good pasta and pizza in a very casual setting where you can order the food to-go if you prefer, not some "hip" joint where they push hard booze. By the way, the pizza in Rome is way more like California style pizza then anything in NY or Chicago. Also, the best, mouth watering pasta I've ever had was in the ristorantes and trattorias in Rome...duh.

BrianSac
May 29, 2008, 4:11 AM
Is the Firehouse in old sac still considered one of the top places in the city?

Good question, i've been to a wedding reception in the firehouse courtyard and the food was good, but never been to the restaurant.

Grimnebulin
May 29, 2008, 2:43 PM

My personal preference is for Mulvaney's...even though it may not be as formal as some other places around town, I really love the food there as many of the ingredients are sourced from small local farms and all their combinations usually work out great. :tup:

Grimnebulin
May 29, 2008, 2:45 PM
As for Gianni's and the sandwich shop next door, what do they say about karma? ;)

What is a Rivercat?
May 29, 2008, 3:22 PM
thanks all, I'll try the Kitchen and see if we can the a table

travis bickle
May 29, 2008, 3:28 PM
thanks all, I'll try the Kitchen and see if we can the a table

Rivercat,

One thing about The Kitchen. Although I feel that it is the best and most unique dining experience in town with outstanding food and an experience that can't be matched by anyplace in California, it is more showbiz than it is romantic. If you're searching for a more romantic setting, you may want to go with Waterboy. In addition to what others have mentioned, Masque in El Dorado Hills is also outstanding.

SacTownAndy
May 29, 2008, 3:36 PM

I know Majin will probably chastise me for saying this, but one of my favorite high end places is Masque in El Dorado Hills. My parents live in EDH and every time I come back into town we usually head there for dinner one night.

econgrad
May 29, 2008, 8:13 PM
^ EDH is in the top five most wealthiest areas in the entire State. Anyone who does not like areas like EDH, also must hate areas like Palo Alto, La Jolla, Carmel, North Star/Truckee, etc. Sacramento is very lucky to be close to EDH. We need more wealthy people to invest in the city.

Majin
May 29, 2008, 9:22 PM
Yes I hate those areas too.

Majin
May 29, 2008, 9:23 PM
Sacramento is very lucky to be close to EDH.

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: Wow GTFO of here. Suburbs that way --> :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Grimnebulin
May 30, 2008, 1:25 AM
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: Wow GTFO of here. Suburbs that way --> :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/iagree.gif

Maijin cracks me up! You going to be around for this Second Saturday? I kinda want to buy him a drink just to see what he's really like...it's great entertainment watching him stir sh!t up. :haha:

otnemarcaS
May 30, 2008, 7:51 AM

Maijin cracks me up! You going to be around for this Second Saturday? I kinda want to buy him a drink just to see what he's really like...it's great entertainment watching him stir sh!t up. :haha:

He certainly cracks me up too. He can talk smack all he wants about MT/DT and evil suburbanites but even he goes beyond the grid and enjoys other areas that Sac metro has to offer. Probably one of those closet explorers that condemns what they secretly enjoy. Really, if you live, work and play only in the grid 24/7 then you really, really, really need to get out more often.

econgrad
May 30, 2008, 7:37 PM

Jealousy amuses me.. :haha:

Majin
May 30, 2008, 8:58 PM
Jealousy amuses me.. :haha:

Oh please, what jealousy? :koko:

I know I have a lot of fans and followers on this forum (and others, sac bee for example who love me and my ideas, most are just too afraid to speak up.

I'm going to be starting a Majin club pretty soon where we meet once a week on Thursdays. We'll go out for drinks and talk about grid issues and such.

Grimnebulin
May 31, 2008, 6:41 AM
I'm going to be starting a Majin club pretty soon where we meet once a week on Thursdays. We'll go out for drinks and talk about grid issues and such.

I'm in... :yes: :tup: :cheers:

urban_encounter
May 31, 2008, 6:05 PM
I know I have a lot of fans and followers on this forum (and others, sac bee for example who love me and my ideas, most are just too afraid to speak up.

:uhh:

This is rich.... Are you sure you don't want to talk about Majin instead of the happenings inside grid? I mean you probably owe it to your throngs of fans...:cool:

Majin
May 31, 2008, 10:08 PM
Oh come on urban don't act like you're not one of my fans.

urban_encounter
Jun 1, 2008, 2:13 AM
Oh come on urban don't act like you're not one of my fans.

:haha:

I admire your passion for the city; but lets not get carried away here.

wburg
Jun 5, 2008, 5:21 PM
From this week's SN&R:

Saving Second Saturday
Local officials salvage the city’s monthly art walk from its own success

By Nick Miller
nickam@newsreview.com
More stories by this author...
The Second Saturday art walk is Sacramento’s most popular event. Thousands visit Midtown’s grid streets each month, stimulating the gallery, boutique, restaurant, bar and club economy. But supporters worry that Second Saturday’s very success may doom it to failure, in much the same way that large, unmanageable crowds undid the Thursday Night Market at K Street Mall a decade ago.

This spring, complaints about Second Saturday have warmed along with the weather and center on the lack of parking, gridlocked traffic, alcohol violations and the noise caused by outdoor musicians, explained Teresa Jackson of the city parks and recreation department.

“The March Second Saturday drew quite a crowd in the downtown area, and a number of residents expressed concerns,” she said. “It wasn’t necessarily that people were upset. They were just concerned about the lack of control, and whether things would get worse in the summer months.”

The April 12 art walk pushed the city to the brink. An unprecedented number of people—some estimate nearly 15,000—converged on Midtown for the monthly to-do. Bands, deejays and artists flooded the streets; vendors occupied every corner. Traffic was a bumper-to-bumper nightmare. One car even got stuck on the J Street railroad tracks, a freight train fast approaching. Clearly, the monthly event, like the Thursday Night Market before it, is in danger of spinning out of control.

Fights, vandalism, theft and crime plagued the weekly K Street event during its last legs, and city officials have no intention of repeating that debacle. However, when Midtown businesses first requested assistance with parking, transit, permits and police presence for Second Saturday, the cash-strapped city balked at writing the check, according to Midtown Business Association board member Shawn Eldredge.

“This is a great event that we’re all creating here, but the city had a lot of push-back at first,” he said. After the April Second Saturday fiasco, business owners, city officials, police and Alcoholic Beverage Control representatives convened. Business owners argued that certain streets needed to be closed. The city resisted with an unspoken fear: “Somebody’s got to pay for it,” one attendee surmised of the prevailing attitude. ABC was present because residents complained that the city was permitting open containers on the streets. “Permit the hell out of all of it” was the city’s knee-jerk reaction.

Then literally over a weekend, the city’s stance dramatically changed. “All of the sudden it was ‘Never mind. We’re going to eat it. We’ll take care of it. We’ll handle it,’” Eldredge said of officials’ about-face. “They scared the crap out of all of us,” he continued. “We thought we were doomed.” Eldredge seriously worried that the city might “eliminate everything” and compromise art-walk attendance. There was, of course, reason for his alarm: The Thursday Night Market unsuccessfully pioneered similar territory 10 years ago.

On May 8, a mere two days before that month’s Second Saturday, the city distributed a flier, titled “Second Saturday Art Walk: Things to Consider to Make it Safe and Successful,” which was intended to both stave off a possible K Street market scenario and remind businesses of the permit requirements. The flier specifically targeted newcomers to the Second Saturday festivities, explaining the various permit processes for alcohol, music and street-vending.

But for some business owners, the flier sent a mixed message. Joanie Hope-Ferry, who runs 20th Street Art Gallery, was uncertain. She’d always acquired permits to serve alcohol at events, but was worried that the flier might be a precursor to new, unexpected enforcement. “I’m a rabble-rouser,” she admitted, so she called up the offices of council members Fong, Cohn and Mayor Heather Fargo looking for answers.

Other businesses shared her sentiment. Many boutiques serve wine during the art walk, for which permits are required from both ABC and the police department. Years ago, ABC cracked down on local galleries serving wine on Second Saturday, and since then most businesses have acquired the proper permits. Sue Brown, of Councilman Cohn’s office, assured Hope-Ferry and others that the art walk would occur without hiccups. Instead of issuing code violations, officials will educate participants about the permitting process.

Sure enough, the May 10 Second Saturday went off without a hitch. “The city’s game; they’re into it,” Eldredge said. “I’m totally impressed, honestly.” No individuals or businesses were cited during the May event, according to Jackson.

This enforcement philosophy will continue for the June Second Saturday. Two blocks of 20th Street will be shut down near the MARRS complex. A free shuttle will run attendees from the Mercy parking lot on N Street down L Street up to 16th Street, then back up J Street toward 29th Street. The city will foot the bill for the shuttle and the street closures, along with funds from the MBA, and will bolster the police force in high-traffic areas.

In June, the city also will continue to enforce new rules regarding amplified sound. In the past, businesses needed to apply for an entertainment permit for indoor amplified sound, which costs hundreds of dollars. But now on Second Saturdays, indoor amplified sound is OK without a permit, so long as businesses don’t charge a cover or fee for entrance. Outdoor amplified sound on public and private property still would require a permit. “But the city is not charging for Second Saturday permits,” Jackson explained. There are discussions of a free, one-step, all-encompassing Second Saturday permit, but it’s yet to be implemented.

Furthermore, musicians claim that live music is instrumental to the art walk’s appeal, and that the city needs to restructure its broader music-permit rules. “There has been discussion about re-evaluating the entertainment code,” the city’s Jackson revealed. “There was a lot of work that went into it—and it does work—but as Midtown and downtown change, there may be a couple areas that may be modified.”

On July 27, a dedicated 18-and-over live-music venue will open in the heart of art-walk turf on 20th Street between J and K streets. Called Luigi’s Fun Garden, its success could determine the future of live-music permits in the city.

Some art galleries complain that too many street vendors, hair salons and non-gallery boutiques display art, taking away from what they uniquely have to offer. So far, the city has yet to crack down on competing art vendors. Other galleries remain wary of fully embracing the monthly art-walk spectacle. Shirley Dubnick, executive director of the Solomon Dubnick Gallery in Midtown, no longer serves food or drink on art-walk days and conducts her opening receptions on Thursdays instead.

“It’s not about art. It’s a scene,” said Dubnick, who has to hire two security guards each Second Saturday to help control the crowds at her popular gallery destination. “Nobody’s gotten unruly. They just get really annoyed if they can’t get something to eat.”

econgrad
Jun 5, 2008, 6:23 PM
^ I will never understand the stupidity of many downtown residents. Choosing to live in DT and MT knowing inner cities are noisy and crowded, especially during festivals and events, and yet complaining about it. With this logic, I should have complained about the traffic and street noise to the city of New York when I lived in Manhattan.

TowerDistrict
Jun 5, 2008, 6:30 PM
That's such Sacramento style... create success, then condemn it.

And for fuck's sake, if you don't want "the scene" with "the art" then go a couple blocks away to downtown, south midtown or del paso. There are fantastic galleries there that get barely a fraction of the traffic.

Majin
Jun 5, 2008, 8:32 PM
I didn't read the article but so what, let them bitch

The city needs to start adapting the policy of "we are going to do what we want, if you don't like it pack your bags and the the fuck out."

Knowing Fargo this won't happen. Grats wburg.

wburg
Jun 5, 2008, 8:51 PM
What's with the negative nellies here? The article is about concern due to problems being caused, and near as I can tell, the city is taking a pro-active stance to maintain public safety while preventing potential problems. The article isn't condemning Second Saturday, but rather about how to solve a potential problem.

I just don't get you kids sometimes. Success brings problems as well as benefits, and addressing those problems before they get out of hand seems like the smart way to go about things. It's a lot smarter than ignoring the problem until it reaches crisis proportions and then blaming the mayor!

TowerDistrict
Jun 5, 2008, 9:05 PM
I mainly taking exception to Shirley Dubnick's view of the matter. Had she never been on an art walk before she opened in MARRS? In my years around here, that has always been the epicenter of "the scene".

Sounds like what the city is doing with the N Street lot is a great idea. The state leased garage was getting pretty crowded.

otnemarcaS
Jun 5, 2008, 9:22 PM
I still suggest they break this into 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month so that those that'd like to attend won't feel that if they miss one month then it's a two month wait from the last event they attended. This will also spread out the crowds on both days. Or maybe make the 2nd event a different day like 4th Sunday. This will also help drive people into midtown/downtown on normally slow quiet Sundays.

TowerDistrict
Jun 5, 2008, 10:07 PM
maybe, but the thing is that the Art Walk is only crowded during these absurdly pleasant months. When the heat starts to really bear down, the crowd dips a bit. And in the winter you can do cartwheels down 20th.