PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

wburg
Sep 4, 2008, 6:39 PM
Maybe it's not hard to get for you wburg to get over to Broadway but what about the office worker on a lunch break? They are not going waste most of their break time in traffic just for a Big Mac.

I agree that there are already a lot of chain sandwhich and coffee shops I guess I was meaning hamburgers specifically. I like to eat out at, as you call, them 'high-class' restaurants but I'm not happy about spending more money and time on a simple hamburger, fries and coke.

I work downtown and can name about a dozen places within short walking distance for hamburgers, plenty more if you include all the pizza by the slice and quick Chinese and Mexican places...and if I have a hankering for chain-burgers, there's a Carl's Jr. and a food court in the mall.

ozone
Sep 4, 2008, 7:18 PM
Humm. So you are not keen on investing with me on an In-and-Out Burger on J and 17th? I don't work downtown that's why I was talking about Midtown. There's a lot of employment in the West Central Midtown/East End area, a lot of people walking around looking for a bit to eat.

wburg
Sep 4, 2008, 7:28 PM
If I was at J and 17th and wanted a burger, I'd go to Hamburger Mary's or Jim-Denny's, and there are a couple of dozen non-burger options in the same perimeter. In & Out seems awfully auto-centric for midtown--don't they normally have a drive-through?

Cynikal
Sep 4, 2008, 9:25 PM
I've never seen an urban In & out and I agree with wburg, they are car focused (hence the name). I am a fan of In & Out but Willies is a close second for that type of burger. I bet a second location in midtown would do very well.

ltsmotorsport
Sep 4, 2008, 9:25 PM
I think it's a requirement for them (drive-throughs).

doriankage
Sep 5, 2008, 2:24 PM
From KCRA3.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- 55 Degrees, an upscale eatery on Capitol Mall, will shut down today as a result of tough economic times.

The owner said the costs of food, fuel and other expenses are making it difficult to make a profit.

The restaurant was counting on a surge of customers spilling over from two downtown building projects that never materialized.

Fins, a seafood restaurant, is also closing two locations, including its eatery at 19th and R streets.

ozone
Sep 5, 2008, 3:20 PM
I think it's a cop out to blame their low performance on the unrealized "surge of customers spilling over from two downtown building projects that never materialized", however, it does point once again to fact that we need more people living downtown in order for downtown businesses to thrive. The reason discount stores survive downtown is that they are supported by the low-income population that lives there.

ozone
Sep 5, 2008, 3:36 PM
I think it's a requirement for them (drive-throughs).

Well I know there's an In-N-Out Burger at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/1449/innoutsn7.jpg

BTW Hamburger Mary's is now Hamburger Patties and bet it's still overpriced, dirty and not very fast. And I've never even heard of Jim-Dennys.

otnemarcaS
Sep 5, 2008, 5:14 PM
:previous:

I've been to the In-N-Out at Fisherman's Wharf when I lived in SF. It's obviously in a high volume tourist area with lots of foot traffic.

Many hamburger places, like junk-in-the-box, do almost 70 percent of their sales in drive thru. Can't imagine a drive thru being allowed in midtown but I think most residents will welcome a drive thru-less In-n-Out anywhere in midtown rather than another high priced steakhouse or even sushi restaurant.

Hamburger Patties and Jim-Denny's are sit down restaurants with pricey burgers mostly in the $7 to $10 range. Regardless of what Wburg thinks, midtown has a lot of young residents too, without huge disposable incomes, that want burgers at the reasonable prices a quick service Mickey D's or In-n-out provides.

wburg
Sep 5, 2008, 5:46 PM
otnemarcaS: Jim-Denny's has a walk-up window on the side of the building, and their "five cent burger" is a combo with fries that costs about six bucks. I know midtown has a lot of young residents with small disposable incomes, I used to be one of 'em until I got old (and still don't have much disposable income.) There are plenty of places to eat cheap in midtown, trust me, that's where I eat!

Pistola916
Sep 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
I would def. welcome an In & Out in the central city. I remember when I was young my mom would take me to the McDonalds on K street, that was a hoppin place.

BrianSac
Sep 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
As I suck down a chocolate shake from In&Out I'm dreaming of a In&Out in the space where 55 degrees was located. I bet the place would be packed at lunch time!

tronblue
Sep 6, 2008, 7:26 AM
Are you guys kidding. Go to nationwide and eat a real burger and support something local.

wburg
Sep 6, 2008, 3:19 PM
*headslap* that's right, nationwide! 20th and H. Bottom line is that there are cheap eats to be found in midtown as well as downtown. It's the tens of thousands of state workers who keep the downtown cheap eateries open, not the one thousand or so SRO residents--do the math. Also note that is why most downtown places are only open really crappy hours, like 10 AM- 3 PM monday-friday. We need another few thousand people DOWNTOWN if downtown restaurants and entertainment are going to be viable after 5 PM.

goldcntry
Sep 6, 2008, 4:35 PM
Nationwide does dish out a buger worthy of 5-6 napkin stars! They're almost as good as a Glenda Burger from Glenda's Cafe in Jackson (now closed :sad:). The problem with Nationwide is that they are sooooo far from the Capitol Mall west corridor. The problem with 55o was that they were too expensive and didn't want to cater to the hundreds of state employees on the mall. They made Il Fornaio prices look like McValue Meals in comparison! And judging by the volumn of folks I get to stand in line with at Il Fornaio's, a lot of other folks prefer IF to 55o.

While it's fun to think of an In-and-Out on the Mall, it really wouldn't fit. And as long as the owner's of the 555 building continue to try and make up their declining revenue from exiting tenants by rising their tenant fees, I see that place staying shut for a very looooong time.

:tomato:

ozone
Sep 6, 2008, 4:46 PM
Look I don't need a lecture on supporting small, locallly-owned businesses. If I can get it in Midtown (where I live and my business is) I will -even if it cost me a little more. I'm not a big hamburger guy but there are times I have a craving. Plus some of my staff are not able to drop $15-$20 every time they go to lunch. There is not a fast, inexpensive hamburger joint in Central West Midtown/East End. Of course, I'm not a fan of the auto-moblie, but I wouldn't mind if Harv's carwash were replaced with drive-thru -J/K. Patrick would have a fit.

I do not like Nationwide. Plus it's kind of out of the way. Like Zelda's and Luigi's and some of the other old time local institutions it is way overrated.

Yogi916
Sep 6, 2008, 7:12 PM
"Burgers & Brew", from the same owners as Crepeville, with a location in Davis open till 3am, will be opening in our mixed use project at 14th & R St.

ozone
Sep 6, 2008, 10:33 PM
Yogi916 that's great! What is the 14th and R project? Is it under construction now and when is it expected to be finished? "Burgers and Brew" -never been but I'm excited for that part of R Street. It's probably still too far for me to walk on my lunch though. But I will certianly check it out.

sugit
Sep 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
Yogi916 that's great! What is the 14th and R project? Is it under construction now and when is it expected to be finished? "Burgers and Brew" -never been but I'm excited for that part of R Street. It's probably still too far for me to walk on my lunch though. But I will certianly check it out.

Check out the last page of "Sacramento Preservation/Adaptive Reuse Projects" for some photos and such. It's the brick building next door to Empire and R15 / Cafe Bernardo.

Here is the website as well:
http://www.1409r.com/

It was in the Bee a couple weeks ago that they have signed a specialty market and a cafe /deli as well.

ozone
Sep 7, 2008, 1:03 AM
Oh yeah that's right. It's a start.

wburg
Sep 7, 2008, 1:33 AM
ozone: In my book, if you're going on about how there needs to be a bunch more chain restaurants in midtown, then yes, you do need a lecture. There are plenty of places in your neck of the woods to get lunch for $5...heck, I can't afford to drop $15-20 on dinner, let alone lunch!

otnemarcaS
Sep 7, 2008, 3:10 AM
If you only had $5 for lunch, I'm not sure there's many local places in midtown that you can go for a complete meal i.e food and drinks plus tax. Like a burger, fries and soda or chicken, potatoes and soda. In that respect some chains fill that gap with dollar menus and combo specials. Also, you can rotate between taco, or burgers, or chicken or fish etc rather than going to the same "local" again and again.

Wait and see. This is why places such as 55 degrees and Fins are closing while a chain such as California Pizza Kitchen will be undoubtedly successful when they eventually open at the firestone building. Affordability.

Phillip
Sep 7, 2008, 9:50 AM
The Davis Fins was in a strip shopping center anchored by Safeway and RiteAid. Quizno's and Dos Coyotes seem to do well there. Fins might have been too expensive for the students. I like seafood but the name "Fins" put me off. It calls attention to an inedible part of the fish. Like naming a steakhouse "Gristle".

If Midtown gets more fast food I hope it's a Wendy's. They're my favorite. I think the closest one to Midtown is at I-80 and Northgate. Off the 99 cent menu you can get a cheeseburger, fries, side salad, and soft drink or frosty for $3.96 plus tax. And no tipping. That 99 cent menu is transitioning to a $1.09 and $1.19 menu though. You can still get four items for under $5.

And some of the Viet places are charging $7.00 for a bowl of pho now. No longer poverty food.

TowerDistrict
Sep 12, 2008, 5:32 PM
did you write that 8 months ago?

innov8
Sep 12, 2008, 6:09 PM
arlier this evening, I was driving down J street towards Alhambra and later back up K to L to I-5. Just saw the McCormick and Schmick's on J from outside looking in. Should be a sweet restaurant once it opens next month. Saw a sign for Parlare Euro Lounge (www.parlarelounge.com (http://www.parlarelounge.com)) which I think is a Mason's (The Park) style lounge. Not sure if they are open yet. Drove by a recently opened place, Timarind Vietnamese Eatery, which is near Kru (one of my favs) at 25th and J. Saw a new place (I think it was called Level Up Lounge or something like that ... I was driving by) opening above Thai Basil restaurant at 24th and J. Also drove past Black Pearl which I read is going to be converted to something else.

As I later hovered back up K street towards the freeway, I saw that True Love coffehouse is back (Beach Hut deli currently occupies their old site on J street) at 23rd and K. Next to it was, I think, a Tea House or cafe or store or something opening called Hina's Tea. Driving on, I also saw a building with MARRS sign at 20th and K. Not sure if it's the project coming up nicely. Additionally, looks like a new gay club, Badlands, has been added to that entertainment area accross from Faces.

Weird... I don't get it. McCormick and Schmick's opened nearly a year ago :koko:

TowerDistrict
Sep 12, 2008, 6:29 PM
Tamarind is gone now, True Love has moved again now there's Sanad's next to Hina, Black Pearl is gone, so is Gianni's and now it's Aura, Level Up has been open for over a year and MARRS is practically the hub of Midtown.

wburg
Sep 12, 2008, 6:48 PM
True Love is still around, they just moved upstairs in the same building: True Love upstairs, Sanad's downstairs.

TowerDistrict
Sep 12, 2008, 7:00 PM
oops, i said beach hut when i meant true love.

Surefiresacto
Sep 12, 2008, 7:01 PM
I think it's pretty funny. It's like this guy fell out of a time warp. With more posts like this we'll be out of the market slump and back to the high demand market of the 2004 era. Maybe we'll see a comment about the missing Towers project.:jester:

arod74
Sep 12, 2008, 7:42 PM
Yeah, better not mention driving around the Towers site and seeing pile driving. Looks like the thread got spamed.

econgrad
Sep 12, 2008, 8:59 PM
I like the shoddy copy and paste job missing the e in "earlier" "arlier"..

otnemarcaS
Sep 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
Folks, this guy (or gal) is :koko: whomever they may be. I post the above comments over 20 months ago. That was the very first comment in the first post (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=124686&postcount=1) when I opened this thread back in Jan 2007. (S)he simply cut and paste part of my comments. Either they've gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs or they just signed on as a front to have us click on their energy recruitment link from a website in the Netherlands. Weird.

Fusey
Sep 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
:lmao: The bot is plagiarizing!

Majin
Sep 12, 2008, 10:32 PM
Guys its a spam bot. Look at the link under his name and his signature.

tronblue
Sep 13, 2008, 1:16 AM
Here is my version of some shameless spam:
In case you're not sure about where to eat on Second Saturday, how about Tuli Bistro? I know that some of you mentioned that it was a good place to eat. I hope to get over there myself soon. But if you are planning on going there on Saturday or in the next month, plan on also seeing some art work on the walls.

http://a734.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/l_53215516abfa732374deba77ed1bd89d.jpg

Surefiresacto
Sep 13, 2008, 7:11 AM
At least it didn't mention eating at Earl of Sandwich or something like that. It's actually kind of interesting reading what was exciting and pending from a few months back.

Web
Sep 13, 2008, 4:06 PM
At least it didn't mention eating at Earl of Sandwich or something like that. It's actually kind of interesting reading what was exciting and pending from a few months back.

or the downtown hof-brau....brother of the one on watt.

or the downtown arbys

or better yet Gov Deukmajian:jester:

wburg
Sep 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
well, I'm still kinda hoping that we get a new hof brau in downtown/midtown. About the closest thing we have is Bud's Buffet, and they aren't open for dinner hours.

sugit
Sep 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
Too bad the hof-brau at 14th and R didn't pan out...that would have been awesome.

SactownTom
Sep 14, 2008, 2:13 AM
I'd love to see a place like Chow (http://www.inetours.com/Pages/Dining_Archive/Chow.html) in Midtown. Nice low to mid price dinning, very casual. I'm sure a place like that would do gangbusters.

thekid@455
Sep 15, 2008, 8:41 AM
Check out the last page of "Sacramento Preservation/Adaptive Reuse Projects" for some photos and such. It's the brick building next door to Empire and R15 / Cafe Bernardo.

Here is the website as well:
http://www.1409r.com/

It was in the Bee a couple weeks ago that they have signed a specialty market and a cafe /deli as well.

D&S Development are developer/owners. I thought paragary's group owned the entire block -- from r15 all the way down to 14th? Anyhow, D&S did the adaptive reuse project at the Mechanics Bank Bldg in Old Sac, last year or the year before, and they hit a smart price point with a good project.

Long live Adaptive Reuse!

goldcntry
Sep 16, 2008, 2:49 PM
Long live Adaptive Reuse!

You're just trying to make wburg swoon, aren't ya?? :jester:

Back to food! (Unfortunatly my favorite subject). We need a modern Hof Brau/Buffet to go in 55o's now blank space. Serve upbeat, hip food buffet style, catering to the younger state employee and bank analyst... :slob:

wburg
Sep 16, 2008, 4:24 PM
What, exactly, is "upbeat, hip food"?

TowerDistrict
Sep 16, 2008, 4:54 PM
Maybe food that doesn't end your day at 3:00 and give you a heart attack at 45?

Phillip
Sep 16, 2008, 7:55 PM
Back to food! (Unfortunatly my favorite subject). We need a modern Hof Brau/Buffet to go in 55o's now blank space. Serve upbeat, hip food buffet style, catering to the younger state employee and bank analyst...

I think of Jack's Urban Eats as sort of a modern take on the Hofbrau concept...fresh carved meats served cafeteria style in an informal setting. I don't know if a Jack's would work in the 55o space though. That's probably a tough location for any restaurant now...no walkby traffic after 5pm or weekends and limited parking. That 55o spot was a Bank of America branch when I first moved to Sacramento and I had my checking account there.

Phillip
Sep 16, 2008, 8:08 PM
I would def. welcome an In & Out in the central city. I remember when I was young my mom would take me to the McDonalds on K street, that was a hoppin place.

I visited Sac over Labor Day weekend. I saw they were building a new In & Out next to IKEA in West Sac. Not quite central city, but they're getting closer.

If they ever build one in Downtown/Midtown they'd probably want to be right off the Cap City freeway. In & Out is almost always within a couple blocks of a freeway exit ramp. The one that Ozone posted in Fisherman's Wharf is an unusual exception.

"In & Out" isn't a very accurate name. It takes forever to get your food there. I think they're slow on purpose. The wait is part of the chain's mystique.

Majin
Sep 16, 2008, 8:21 PM
I'm good with an In and Out in the grid, keep that chain crap out of my hood.

Phillip
Sep 16, 2008, 9:15 PM
I'm good with an In and Out in the grid, keep that chain crap out of my hood.

In & Out is a chain. Are you saying chain restaurants are okay in the grid as long as they're not near 800J?

Do you ever eat at that Afghan place almost across from 800J? I tried it once and thought it was pretty good.

wburg
Sep 16, 2008, 9:35 PM
Kabul Kabob is pretty good, it's a little spendy but I have hit their buffet once or twice. I liked the old India Restaurant that was there for years, but I don't miss the short-lived "Downtown Arena" restaurant at all (it always stank like an old mop.)

Majin
Sep 16, 2008, 9:53 PM
In & Out is a chain. Are you saying chain restaurants are okay in the grid as long as they're not near 800J?

Do you ever eat at that Afghan place almost across from 800J? I tried it once and thought it was pretty good.

I meant I DONT want in & out in the grid, I know its a chain.

Are you talking about that place on the corner of 8th and J? Kabul something? If so, no I've never ate there.

Phillip
Sep 17, 2008, 7:36 AM
I meant I DONT want in & out in the grid, I know its a chain.

Are you talking about that place on the corner of 8th and J? Kabul something? If so, no I've never ate there.

You don't want chain restaurants Downtown but you won't try the independent family owned restaurant that's across the street from you? You are hard to figure out, Majin. Or maybe you just don't like restaurants?

Kabul Kabob is pretty good, it's a little spendy but I have hit their buffet once or twice. I liked the old India Restaurant that was there for years, but I don't miss the short-lived "Downtown Arena" restaurant at all (it always stank like an old mop.)

It's probably been a year since I had lunch at Kabul. I think the buffet was only at dinner then. I'm glad to hear they're still in business. Sorry I missed the place that stank like an old mop.

Majin
Sep 17, 2008, 5:39 PM
You don't want chain restaurants Downtown but you won't try the independent family owned restaurant that's across the street from you? You are hard to figure out, Majin. Or maybe you just don't like restaurants?

Just because I happen to not have tried this one particular restaurant, I don't support independent family owned restaurants? Talk about extreme.

Phillip
Sep 17, 2008, 8:40 PM
I singled out Kabul Kabob because it's so close to 800J, like across the street. Since you're an enthusiast for locally owned non-chain restaurants I'm just surprised you haven't tried it once, since it's so convenient.

Now if you had said "I don't like Afghani food" that would have been a good reason.

Here's Kabul Kabob's dinner menu:

http://www.kabulkabobcuisine.com/menu.htm

It seems the buffet is at lunch, not dinner, like I wrote above. I must have been there for dinner then. I missed the buffet anyhow.

Is there a restaurant Downtown that you like?

Majin
Sep 17, 2008, 9:06 PM
No particular reason (I don't mind eating any kind of food, although I don't usually eat Afghani food), just happen to have not gone to that place yet. I have gone to Sakura directly across to street though and the sushi there is decent (sometimes). Zen Sushi on 15th and I is much better though, in my opinion the best sushi/japanese place in the grid. There are a lot of restaurants I like, tell me what kind of food and I'll tell you the place I think is best.

Phillip
Sep 17, 2008, 11:24 PM
I haven't beent to Zen Sushi. Next time I come to Sac I'll go there and look for you. That is if I have any money left. Down 450. UGH. :slob:

Majin
Sep 18, 2008, 12:02 AM
You think you're bad off? I own AIG.

Phillip
Sep 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
That's nothing, Majin. I'm Phillip Lehman.

urban_encounter
Sep 18, 2008, 1:07 AM
Zen Sushi on 15th and I is much better though, in my opinion the best sushi/japanese place in the grid. There are a lot of restaurants I like, tell me what kind of food and I'll tell you the place I think is best.

I tried Zen on your recommendation and it tasted like every other sushi place in and outside the grid, that dumps sauce all over their sushi.

Bottom line (nothing special)

Majin
Sep 18, 2008, 5:07 AM
I tried Zen on your recommendation and it tasted like every other sushi place in and outside the grid, that dumps sauce all over their sushi.

Bottom line (nothing special)

Then you obviously haven't been to every sushi place in and outside the grid because I've been to a lot of places where the sushi tastes like complete ass (most of which are outside the grid). If they are dumping sauce all over your sushi you are not even ordering the right stuff. I myself only eat sashimi and nigiri. Those exotic rolls with all that shit on it just delutes the taste of the fish.

urban_encounter
Sep 19, 2008, 1:58 AM
Then you obviously haven't been to every sushi place in and outside the grid because I've been to a lot of places where the sushi tastes like complete ass (most of which are outside the grid). If they are dumping sauce all over your sushi you are not even ordering the right stuff. I myself only eat sashimi and nigiri. Those exotic rolls with all that shit on it just delutes the taste of the fish.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the sashimi myself. For the record Taylors market will slice ahi for you (for sashimi) and their honest enough to tell you if it wouldn't make good sashimi.

Personally i still prefer Kru on J street.

econgrad
Sep 19, 2008, 2:24 AM
The Best Sushi in all of the area, maybe even Northern Ca is a place called Blue Nami. If you have eaten here and do not agree, then you know nothing about sushi.
Unfortunately for Majin, it is in Orangevale. I fondly remember being in Tokyo at a very exclusive sushi restaurant and laughing because Orangevale, CA had better sushi than where I was in Tokyo, the fish there is quite awful compared to what we get here.
Sorry mikuni disciples, but mikuni's is way over-rated. Tokyo Fro's is plain disgusting, Kru is very good, Samuri is eatable but not only average..there is others I am sure I am forgetting.

otnemarcaS
Sep 19, 2008, 5:17 AM

Sorry but calling any one particular sushi place the "best" in Sac/Northern Calif. is highly debatable. The best sushi place is the sushi place that satisfies personal individual preference. Period. That's like saying Ernestos or Zocalos or Centros or whatever is the best Mexican food in Sac. I've enjoyed and hated some menu items at many sushi places whether it's Mikuni or Zen or Oshima Sushi or Kru or Taro's or Tamaya or dozens of others in the metro area. I've tried places some have raved about only to hate it and others have tried some places I have recommended only to hate it too.

With that said, my personal favorite as well is Kru.

Majin
Sep 19, 2008, 5:20 AM
Stop taking it so seriously, it's all in good fun. Discussing favorite food spots is always debatable.

BrianSac
Sep 19, 2008, 6:02 AM
I ate at Zen Sushi today. I had maguro sashimi. It was delicious. Vegetable tempura was great. Firm, very fresh vegetables. Big pieces, light tempura batter. My friend had a huge pot of chicken udon noodle soup. The vegetables in the soup were very good, the broth very good. But, I hate udon noodles, doughy, thick worm like noodles, yuk. If udon noodles are your cup of tea, I'm sure you would have liked them. Another good japanese restaurant: Kamon on 16th....dont know if its still there; its been awhile since I've been there.

econgrad
Sep 19, 2008, 7:45 AM
Udon Noodles do blow cheese...

otnemarcaS: The Best Mexican food in town is Ernestos!

NikeFutbolero
Sep 19, 2008, 7:58 AM
Udon Noodles do blow cheese...

False. It's my mom's kitchen.

otnemarcaS
Sep 19, 2008, 9:02 AM

Better than Taco Bell or Del Taco?

Ernestos is awesome but way, way too many excellent Mexican restaurants in Sacramento to even pick a personal favorite. Ernestos, Vallejos, El Novillero on Franklin etc for full service restaurants. Then there are the taquerias like Taco Loco on J st. Then the quick service restaurants. Then the fast food mexican chains (my fav being Jimboys).

IMO, many of the tastiest authentic Mexican restaurants in Sac that I have visited are in the South area.

Majin
Sep 19, 2008, 9:19 AM
I ate at Zen Sushi today. I had maguro sashimi. It was delicious. Vegetable tempura was great. Firm, very fresh vegetables. Big pieces, light tempura batter. My friend had a huge pot of chicken udon noodle soup. The vegetables in the soup were very good, the broth very good. But, I hate udon noodles, doughy, thick worm like noodles, yuk. If udon noodles are your cup of tea, I'm sure you would have liked them. Another good japanese restaurant: Kamon on 16th....dont know if its still there; its been awhile since I've been there.

:tup:

Majin
Sep 19, 2008, 9:21 AM
IMO, many of the tastiest authentic Mexican restaurants in Sac that I have visited are in the South area.

The best non-american food comes from south sac.

Fusey
Sep 19, 2008, 3:34 PM
Did somebody say Mexican food??? :banana:

otnemarcaS
Sep 19, 2008, 5:04 PM

Yep, I agree.

goldcntry
Sep 19, 2008, 6:34 PM
I gotta agree: coming up with a favorite hispanic-food shop is too hard to do.

Ernestos is good, but crowded and kinda stuck on themselves too much; El Centro has my favorite huevos rancheros; El Novillero had the best chili verde and carnitas, but they've gotten kinda stale the last couple of times I've been there; local-chain Dos Coyotes is a family fav; and the across the river, Ema's Taco House is a perinial favorite (Senator Jack Schrader quesadillas FTW!); and Sal's has the best salsa bar...

Yep, way too dependant on our own personal tastes...

Grimnebulin
Sep 19, 2008, 10:55 PM
FWIW - I heard Masque has shut down....or will be shortly.

Also, The Cosmopolitain's kitchen will be fired up Monday and staff training should start shortly thereafter - opening in maybe a week - or two.

SactownTom
Sep 20, 2008, 4:01 AM

Huong Lan on Stockton and 65th has the best banh mi sandwiches outside of San Francisco. Can't go wrong for around 2 clams. I love the BBQ pork.

otnemarcaS
Sep 20, 2008, 6:04 PM
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, September 20, 2008
Story appeared in OUR REGION section, Page B1

Who's up next at 555?

We're hearing that a new restaurant tenant is close to occupying the space recently vacated by 55 Degrees at 555 Capitol Mall.

But who is it? That's still under wraps.

Grubb & Ellis senior VP Dan Chamberlain, who is marketing the space, says "things are looking very positive" regarding a new tenant. But nothing has been formalized.

Rumors say Paragary's Restaurant Group or the Wolfgang Puck chain are likely tenants.

It's not us, says Paragary boss Randy Paragary. "My hands are full," he says.

Nor us, says a spokeswoman for the Wolfgang Puck restaurant company in L.A. "First I've heard of it," she says.

Phillip
Sep 20, 2008, 8:43 PM
Maybe Downtown will get its long overdue Wendy's, at last.

wburg
Sep 20, 2008, 8:57 PM
I suppose hoping for 2 buck banh mi in that space is out of the question! I'm irked, this place opened on 21st selling a great banh mi for $2.50 and then they changed ownership!

econgrad
Sep 21, 2008, 12:11 AM
I suppose hoping for 2 buck banh mi in that space is out of the question! I'm irked, this place opened on 21st selling a great banh mi for $2.50 and then they changed ownership!

Wait, when did they change ownership?

wburg
Sep 21, 2008, 12:48 AM
They used to be First Choice, then there's an even newer "under new management" sign and the "$2.50 vietnamese sandwiches" sign that was in the window is gone.

Phillip
Sep 21, 2008, 1:57 AM
Fresh Choice or First Choice? Fresh Choice is a salad bar place on Howe. If you're talking about First Choice Chinese I used to order the Explosion Chicken there.

Explosion Chicken....such an image!

:wizard:

econgrad
Sep 21, 2008, 2:31 AM
Fresh Choice or First Choice? Fresh Choice is a salad bar place on Howe. If you're talking about First Choice Chinese I used to order the Explosion Chicken there.

Explosion Chicken....such an image!

:wizard:

:haha:

BrianSac
Sep 21, 2008, 4:37 AM
My Brother Vinny's Italian Restaurant: Sutter Street, Folsom

I was surprised, very good. Typical Italian, nice atmosphere, balcony above Sutter street. Great Service. I recommend it!!

For all you "urbanists" you can take light rail to the last stop in Folsom (Historic Folsom Station), walk up Sutter Street, Vinny's is upstairs, south side of street. Sutter Street is a happening fun little street.

Three people had:
Reasonable prices too
Mussels w/garlic, butter broth, excellent
Spaghetti w/meatballs, "sunday gravy", very good
Cheese Spiniach Raviolis, very good
Shrimp Scampi, very good
Shared a big fat Tiramisu (yum, yum)
Cambria Chardonay Wine, good

innov8
Sep 21, 2008, 4:55 AM
You sold me BrianSac :yes: My lady and I will check it out :cheers:

otnemarcaS
Sep 21, 2008, 5:56 PM
Speaking of Folsom, for those of you that want to play outside the grid, next week is Folsom Live 2008 (http://www.folsomlive.com/)on Sat Sept 27th. Over 15 bands will be playing on indoor and outdoor stages on historic Sutter street in Folsom. Sutter street will be closed to car traffic and the event starts at 5pm. Light rail is free from Sac to Folsom and back if you have a purchased ticket in hand. I think light rail service runs till midnite on that day.

http://www.folsomlive.com/sitebuilder/images/folsomliveintro5-438x600.jpg

wburg
Sep 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
While I still think the big terrarium they're sticking on the side of 926 J looks like crud, I'm still looking forward to seeing the project completed. I'm not sure what to think of the name for the restaurant ("Grange") but I'm guessing it won't focus too much on the super ultra lounge sushi on a stick aesthetic.

Bob Shallit: New Grange chef emphasizes fresh 'n local
Last Updated 2:54 pm PDT Monday, September 22, 2008

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/19/40-3B16BUILDING.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.JPG
An artist's rendering reveals what the Citizen Hotel in downtown Sacramento will look like when it opens at year's end.
William Murphy

The chef at Sacramento's soon-to-open Grange Restaurant isn't saying yet what's on his menu.

"I've been sworn to secrecy," says Michael Tuohy.

But this is certain: He'll be serving lots of locally produced organic foods -- beef and poultry, fruits and vegetables, cheeses and oils.

During an award-winning 22-year cooking career in Atlanta, Tuohy was a leader of the "farm-to-table" movement. And he says the abundance of locally grown ingredients was one of the draws of taking the Grange gig.

"So much of what the (Bay Area's top restaurants) use comes from up here, so why not be near the source?" he says.

Tuohy's posting here is a bit of a coup for Joie de Vivre Hospitality, the San Francisco-based operator of the Grange and the 197-room Citizen Hotel at 10th and J streets.

The 46-year-old veteran chef and his wife, Patti, had been considering a move to his native California and first looked into buying a restaurant in Sonoma. "Too expensive," he says.

Then Tuohy was offered a post as culinary director of the prestigious (but financially troubled) Copia wine, food and arts center in Napa. It "didn't feel right" to him.

That's when he heard about the Grange opportunity. The hotel company's CEO, Chip Conley say he's thrilled to get someone of Tuohy's caliber.

Touhy has been in town a month, meeting other chefs and city leaders, selecting china and silverware, venturing out to local farms. And of course, perfecting the details on that mysterious menu.

Sacramento, he says, suits him nicely. After watching Atlanta experience a huge growth spurt with accompanying urban problems, Tuohy says likes being in a place that seems committed to smart growth.

Sacramento, he says, is "not too small, not super-urban."

Just right.

otnemarcaS
Sep 25, 2008, 9:29 AM
http://www.sacdine.com/images/partners/grubcrawl/081108_grubcrawllogo5.jpg

Downtown Sacramento Grub Crawl is this weekend Sept 27th. It's like a pub crawl, except for food instead of alcohol. Price: $25

Scheduled restaurants this year -

5pm-6pm Fuzio
6pm-7pm Three Monkeys
7pm-8pm 4th Street Grill
8pm-9pm Zokku
9pm-10pm Table 260

www.sacramentogrubcrawl.com (http://www.sacramentogrubcrawl.com)

BrianSac
Sep 25, 2008, 6:18 PM
While I still think the big terrarium they're sticking on the side of 926 J looks like crud, I'm still looking forward to seeing the project completed. I'm not sure what to think of the name for the restaurant ("Grange") but I'm guessing it won't focus too much on the super ultra lounge sushi on a stick aesthetic.

I was looking at the terrarium the other day and what I like is the fact that when you are sitting in the dining room of this "terrarium" you will be able to see the oranamentation of what was the exterior of the building. Kinda cool!

wburg
Sep 25, 2008, 9:27 PM
I was looking at the terrarium the other day and what I like is the fact that when you are sitting in the dining room of this "terrarium" you will be able to see the oranamentation of what was the exterior of the building. Kinda cool!

That's kind of what I don't like about it. You used to be able to see the ornamentation on the exterior of the building from outside the building: now you have to be a paying customer to see it. They're also not going to restore most of the exterior facade that they ripped out: they're using the material from the side to restore the front facade. I'm not sure what they're using to clad the columns, although they have apparently talked to Gladding McBean and have the original specs for the tiles used on the exterior, and will match them in kind.

innov8
Sep 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
That's kind of what I don't like about it. You used to be able to see the ornamentation on the exterior of the building from outside the building: now you have to be a paying customer to see it.

Couldn't you just walk around to the J Street side and see ornamentation?
This buildings going to look great when finished and all I hear from you is that
it still is not good enough. This is reuse of a building at its best... isn't this what
you're always crowing about?

innov8
Sep 30, 2008, 3:12 AM
The Cosmopolitan Cabaret
Last night my wife and I were able to see the premiere performance
of "Forever Plaid" and we both enjoyed the show. The Cosmopolitan seems
to bring a new energy and street presents that K Street has been needing.
The Cabaret has both a contemporary bar and restaurant (by Paragary) with
a night club soon to be opening upstairs.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2039/1thecosmopolitan2008092re3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Forever Plaid's" a fun show that likes to get interactive with the audience.
The theater's cozy and gives everyone a good seat to enjoy the performance.
The production made me laugh and get into many songs from
the 1950's that were fun to hear in this setting. The Cosmopolitan’s defiantly
worth checking out. New life has been given to a street and corner that
deserves more entertainment like this.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/56/2thecosmopolitan2008092oq3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

wburg
Sep 30, 2008, 5:27 AM
Couldn't you just walk around to the J Street side and see ornamentation?
This buildings going to look great when finished and all I hear from you is that
it still is not good enough. This is reuse of a building at its best... isn't this what
you're always crowing about?

That's not really the point. Others here have complained about new building designs that look good from one side but are plain-jane on others: this is a case where a beautiful building facade and streetscape is being covered from public view, and public right-of-way converted to controlled, private space.

If all you hear from me is that it isn't good enough, you aren't paying attention: as I have mentioned before, I am glad to see the building reused, but I don't like this particular aspect of it. I'd call it reuse of a building at its second-best: for the most part, they're doing a great job, including getting the original Gladding-McBean specs for the replacement tilework. But the terrarium, well, I'm just not feeling it.

BrianSac
Sep 30, 2008, 6:47 AM
Hey Innov8,
Thanks for the pics and review. Maybe guests of the Citizen will be patrons of the Cosmopolitian too.

BrianSac
Sep 30, 2008, 6:55 AM
this is a case where a beautiful building facade and streetscape is being covered from public view.

I guess you will have to go inside the restaurant to enjoy the view, or stand outside in the rain and peer in the window.

otnemarcaS
Sep 30, 2008, 9:13 AM
That's not really the point. Others here have complained about new building designs that look good from one side but are plain-jane on others

Damn if they do, damn if they don't. I don't see anything terribly wrong with what is being done to this reused building, especially if it bolsters activity and foot traffic around that area. Wait till the final product before passing full judgement. Y'know, this isn't Burger King so you can't have it your way. Unless, of course, it's your money.

this is a case where a beautiful building facade and streetscape is being covered from public view, and public right-of-way converted to controlled, private space.

So what? Should we also shut down every other restaurant's sidewalk seating because they infringe on public right of way? Driving by J str, I noticed Parlare Euro lounge, across from the Citizen hotel, seems to have recently added sidewalk seating. No beef about that? You are really being anal about these so called issues. Maybe they should have just demolished the whole building and put up a four story Wal Mart just to really piss you off.

wburg
Sep 30, 2008, 11:18 PM
So what? Should we also shut down every other restaurant's sidewalk seating because they infringe on public right of way? Driving by J str, I noticed Parlare Euro lounge, across from the Citizen hotel, seems to have recently added sidewalk seating. No beef about that? You are really being anal about these so called issues. Maybe they should have just demolished the whole building and put up a four story Wal Mart just to really piss you off.

Outside sidewalk seating does require the city's okay, but a sidewalk seating area doesn't hide two stories of the exterior facade of the building, nor does it convert that area into the interior of the building. This terrarium does, so no, it's not exactly the same thing. You guys feel free to like it if you want to, I just don't.

Put it this way. It's kind of like seeing an immaculately restored 1925 Silver Ghost, except the owner has replaced the original wheels with 22s and "spinnaz."

otnemarcaS
Oct 7, 2008, 6:37 PM
Published 12:00 am PDT Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What slowdown?

A limping economy isn't worrying the local owners of the Crepeville restaurant chain.

They've just signed a lease to open their fifth restaurant – this one a Burgers and Brew – at the former Wonder Bread bakery/warehouse at 14th and R streets in downtown Sacramento.

"Business really hasn't slowed down for us," says co-owner Derar Zawaydeh, who contends higher-priced eateries are hardest hit by a downturn.

His "moderate-priced" restaurants may actually benefit, he says. "People still want to go out. They're just looking for better values."

Zawaydeh and Philippe Masoud, his brother and business partner, opened a Burgers and Brew in downtown Davis a year ago.

"It's packed all the time ... hopefully we can replicate that here," says Zawaydeh, who is self-financing his expansion.

As in Davis, the Sacramento outlet will offer half-pound burgers made with Niman Ranch beef, along with 12 beers on tap, 40 more in bottles and 30 wine selections. The new restaurant – expected to open in March – will have a fireplace, an indoor fountain and lots of exposed brick.

"It's not your typical burger dive," the owner says of his new cafe, part of a D&S Development project that includes 12 upstairs loft condos. Also atypical: It will stay open until 4 a.m. Thursday through Saturday and midnight the rest of the week.

otnemarcaS
Oct 7, 2008, 6:38 PM

No kidding? Moderately priced restaurants will fare better than high priced ones? No duh! Since midtowners/downtowners certainly cannot support these high priced places like Fins and 55 degrees without suburban dineros, the prudent thing to do is open up moderately priced places. This fills the gap.

For those of us that eat beyond the grid, I have been to the Burgers and Brew in Davis. Really good burgers and cold brew. It is great to have another late night dining option in the central city.

Surefiresacto
Oct 7, 2008, 8:01 PM
4am!?! That's awesome. Even later than Casbah.

innov8
Oct 10, 2008, 4:36 AM
Landmark Rusty Duck restaurant by the river closes
By Gina Kim - gkim@sacbee.com
Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Rusty Duck, the longtime Sacramento restaurant backed up to the American River off Interstate 5, hung up its oyster shuckers and closed its doors this week.

Workers were notified of the closure Tuesday, said a spokeswoman for Landry's Restaurants, the corporation that owns the restaurant.

The Houston-based restaurant chain also owns Joe's Crab Shack and the Chart House.

"The owners have decided to close the location and focus on other areas. The land and building are currently for sale," said a company statement.

Modeled after a hunting lodge on stilts, the rustic restaurant had a Swiss Family Robinson treehouse feel and was noted for its towering mud pie desserts.

It celebrated its 20th birthday in 1996, with prices rolled back to 1976 for one night, such as $10.95 for the saut�ed mustard-coated salmon and $16.95 for the Alaskan king crab.

Paul Robins, host and anchor of Fox40 Live, worked as a server at the restaurant from 1979 to 1984.

"You have hit me right in the chest - that breaks my heart," Robins said upon learning of the closure. "You have to give me a moment."

When Robins started working at the restaurant, it was all men who worked the dinner shift, he recalled. But by the time he left, the genders were largely equal, except that women wore leotards with flowered wraparound skirts that slit high up on the leg, while men wore long-sleeved shirts and slacks.

"The women suffered much more than the men outfit-wise," he said.

Servers took pride in knowing their seafood dishes, and pre-shift tastings were held every day, said Shawn Helwig who worked as a server at the restaurant in the late 1990s.

During its heyday, the restaurant drew many patrons who were in town for business or staying at nearby hotels. It was also known to be a nice date spot on the river, Robins said.

"Every time the prom season rolled around, we were swamped with goober kids in velvet tuxedos," he recalled.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1301709.html

TowerDistrict
Oct 10, 2008, 5:00 AM
with prices rolled back to 1976 for one night, such as $10.95 for the sauteed mustard-coated salmon and $16.95 for the Alaskan king crab.

wow.. was dinner that expensive in 1976? considering that a house in Sacramento was probably around 400% less, dinner sounds like it has been relatively stable?