PDA

View Full Version : Passenger numbers up 37.5 % at Grande Prarie Airport

SpongeG
Jan 30, 2007, 12:56 AM
Expansion plans are being accelerated at airports in Grande Prairie and Edmonton after travel numbers shot way up in 2006 and thousands more people took to the skies.

Both airport authorities released their 2006 passenger numbers Friday and they showed a dramatic increase, far above national and international averages.

The growth in air travel is a reflection of the economy and the growth of northern Alberta, but few expected such a dramatic rise.

Passenger numbers at the Grande Prairie Regional Airport showed 314,923 passengers went through its gates in 2006, a 37.5-per cent increase from 2005.

Meanwhile in Edmonton, a record-breaking 5.2 million passengers went through the Edmonton International Airport, a 15.2 per cent increase from 2005.

What stands out for many, however, is the growth in traffic from Grande Prairie into Edmonton. From January 2006 to October 2006, Grande Prairie traffic into Edmonton increased 54 per cent, the largest increase of any northern community into Edmonton, beating Fort McMurray, Yellowknife and Saskatoon.

Jim Rudolph, spokesman for Edmonton International, said traffic from Grande Prairie is up in both business travel and recreational.

"It's both - you're seeing more business travel, but because there's money in Grande Prairie and Alberta, more people are travelling."

Edmonton Airports President and CEO Reg Milley visited Grande Prairie to meeting with the business community late last year and said the Edmonton airport hopes to offer more direct flights in the future and is targeting areas that could benefit the north.

The airport's new direct flight to London, England starts daily April 1, and the flight is timed to meeting with connections from the north so Grande Prairie travellers aren't left waiting. Direct flights to Houston, Tex., Dallas, Tex., and New York are all being considered for the oilpatch business traveller and other direct flights to Florida and Frankfurt, Germany are being targeted. The Edmonton airport is also planning to spend $250 million in the coming years to expand the airport to 21 gates from 17, add more parking, increase room for American departures and partner with a company to build a 187-room hotel at the airport.

Grande Prairie Airport CEO Brian Grant couldn't be reached for comment Friday, but in a released statement said expansion plans at the local airport are being sped up.

"Scheduled air service in Grande Prairie is running at near full capacity and we recognize that seats are not always available at the most convenient times," he said in a statement.

The airport will spend $11 million in the next two years to further expand the air terminal and parking spaces.

One local business owner who specializes in travel confirmed the industry is certainly booming.

"The population has seen a big increase ... and there's more money for travel," said David Biltek, owner of V, The Vacation Store. "We're seeing an increase in destinations everywhere. South and Central America has never been busier for us."

Biltek said the one flight Grande Prairie is missing that would benefit travellers here is a regular direct Grande Prairie to Vancouver flight - a direct connection where one doesn't travel through Edmonton or Calgary first.

B.C.-based Hawkair once offered Grande Prairie-to-Vancouver flights but they were pulled in May 2005.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/z_passengernumbers0129.lasso

Coldrsx
Jan 30, 2007, 1:25 AM
"Direct flights to Houston, Tex., Dallas, Tex., and New York are all being considered for the oilpatch business traveller and other direct flights to Florida and Frankfurt, Germany are being targeted."

go yeg go

well done YGP

lubicon
Jan 30, 2007, 2:59 AM
[QUOTE=Coldrsx;2598047
well done YGP[/QUOTE]

Actually it's YQU if I am not mistaken.:D

CanadianCentaur
Jan 30, 2007, 5:54 AM
Lubicon, you're not mistaken - YQU is Grande Prairie.

YGP is the IATA code for Gaspé, Quebec.

I saw that stuff about YQU's passenger traffic increase in GP's local paper online today. From what I've been told, it is indeed getting incredibly crowded at peak hours. There's only one baggage claim conveyor belt and two gates (one of them is nothing more than a hallway). That's why the airport has to be expanded ASAP.

I'd definitely agree with Biltek (I also know him personally) that GP needs a nonstop to Vancouver. I remember even as a kid when CP Air used to fly 737s from GP to Vancouver back in the late '70s. I don't know exactly for sure, but I won't be surprised if there are indeed quite a few in GP who do fly to YVR. AC Jazz could probably put a CRJ on that route, and that'd be about just under 1.5 hours - about the same as YEG-YVR.

The city itself has been growing like hell, too. It had 1,624 total housing starts for 2006 - the highest outside Edmonton and Calgary, and even surpassed that of Wood Buffalo (Fort Mac). That info can be found here. (http://www.alberta-canada.com/statpub/files/pdf/weh_January12_2007.pdf)

GP is planning a census for this spring, because they say the population may have likely gone past the 50,000 mark by now. The 2005 census result showed 44,631 people there.

Boris2k7
Jan 30, 2007, 6:00 AM
GP is planning a census for this spring, because they say the population may have likely gone past the 50,000 mark by now. The 2005 census result showed 44,631 people there.

That's pretty impressive if it turns out to be true.

SpongeG
Jan 30, 2007, 6:45 AM
wow

I used to go to GP a lot - and remember passign the airport but never going into it

about 50% of the people I graduated highschool with went to college in Grande Prarie I think

it was like the closest "city" we could reach for a day trip

chuber
Jan 30, 2007, 4:29 PM
Good for Edmonton and GP. I flew to GP for the first time this year (driven many times though). I really like the city. I also flew from GP to Fort Nelson. Now there is a tiny/shitty airport. lol

Coldrsx
Jan 30, 2007, 6:20 PM
but YGP sounds so much cooler....

chris
Jan 30, 2007, 10:27 PM
Wow that's really impressive for Grande Prairie and Edmonton YEG. It's hard to imagine that they are expanding YEG AGAIN! They last expanded the airport back in 2000, and now they need to expand again. Good for them!

Coldrsx
Jan 31, 2007, 1:44 AM
Wow that's really impressive for Grande Prairie and Edmonton YEG. It's hard to imagine that they are expanding YEG AGAIN! They last expanded the airport back in 2000, and now they need to expand again. Good for them!

hitting 2015 projections in 2007....not bad.

Brokenhead
Apr 4, 2007, 1:20 AM
Should put this back into Alberta.

vid
Apr 4, 2007, 3:23 AM
This is in the Mansack forum, so I thought it was talking about Portage La Prairie. I was going to say, I had absolutely no idea there was an oil patch in Portage La Prairie, and was perplexed as to why 315,000 people were flying from it. :)

Interestingly, the airport has longer runways than CYQT, but only half the passengers. What are the craft movement numbers though? Is it mostly bush planes like us or lots of bigger jets?

Greco Roman
Apr 4, 2007, 3:31 AM
Move this please! :cool:

trueviking
Apr 4, 2007, 4:09 AM
get back on the other side of the fence!

you are not welcome here anymore.

vid
Apr 4, 2007, 4:12 AM
"First, they came for the Albertans..."

lubicon
Apr 5, 2007, 5:23 PM
This is in the Mansack forum, so I thought it was talking about Portage La Prairie. I was going to say, I had absolutely no idea there was an oil patch in Portage La Prairie, and was perplexed as to why 315,000 people were flying from it. :)

Interestingly, the airport has longer runways than CYQT, but only half the passengers. What are the craft movement numbers though? Is it mostly bush planes like us or lots of bigger jets?

Grande Prairie's airport has 2 runways, one is 6200' the other 6500'. YQT also has 2 runways, 5300' and 6200' so really the airports are about the same size. GP has about half the population as Thunder Bay. There is not the 'bush' flying like their is out of YQT. Both Jazz and Westjet serve the airport as well as a number os smaller airlines (Peace Air and Swanberg for example). There is also a large number of smaller twin engine planes using the airport for crew changes on the rigs. YEG and YYC would be the major destinations for passengers.

Not sure of the actual aircraft movement numbers.

Oh yeah, and I agree, please move this thread back into the Alberta section.

itom 987
Apr 6, 2007, 5:50 AM
The thead has been moved.

SHOFEAR
Apr 6, 2007, 3:30 PM
So much for the "international is not convienant for northern communities" horse shit.

CanadianCentaur
Apr 6, 2007, 5:00 PM
So much for the "international is not convienant for northern communities" horse shit.

AMEN

ctown.myth
Apr 9, 2007, 8:29 PM
Grande Prairie's airport has 2 runways, one is 6200' the other 6500'. YQT also has 2 runways, 5300' and 6200' so really the airports are about the same size. GP has about half the population as Thunder Bay. There is not the 'bush' flying like their is out of YQT. Both Jazz and Westjet serve the airport as well as a number os smaller airlines (Peace Air and Swanberg for example). There is also a large number of smaller twin engine planes using the airport for crew changes on the rigs. YEG and YYC would be the major destinations for passengers.

Didn't someone just say that YQT is GP? Ignore me if I'm being an idiot again.

mersar
Apr 9, 2007, 8:32 PM
YQU actually.

e909
Apr 9, 2007, 9:02 PM
wow, i'm impressed.

ctown.myth
Apr 9, 2007, 9:10 PM
YQU actually.

So GP has two airports? See quote:

mersar
Apr 9, 2007, 9:27 PM
YQU = Grand Prairie
YQT = Thunderbay

ctown.myth
Apr 10, 2007, 2:27 AM
I'm glad I don't work for the airport industry.