PDA

View Full Version : Rough Guides: World Party - Canadian events

IntotheWest
Jan 16, 2007, 9:20 PM
I came across a new book in Chapters titled "World Party" (published Dec 2006 by Rough Guides) and decided to have a quick look...especially at what events were listed for Canada (I always like to see how these books from outside Canada "rank" our events).

For the "North America and Caribbean" section, no Canada events were spotlighted (such as Mardi Gras, etc) - but three were listed in the "Best of the Rest" at the end of the chapter; Calgary Stampede, Quebec Winter Carnival, and Toonik Tyme.

Three other Canadian events are listed on their website (below); Niagara Wine Festival, Canadian Oktoberfest, and Festival du Voyageur (which you can vote on with all other World Party events).

Did they miss some good ones? Of course they did...They actually want to know about it:

http://worldparty.roughguides.com/worldroot/wp_cms/website/index.cfm?page_id=378

The existing ones in their DB is listed here:

http://worldparty.roughguides.com/worldroot/wp_cms/website/index.cfm?page_id=65

For the "Best of the Rest" three they listed, here's what they say:

Quebec Winter Carnival

Bills itself as the best Winter Carnival on the planet, and, despite strong Scandinavian (and US) competition, generally lives up to the title pretty well. The two-week extravaganza has it all – mad ice slides, skidoo races, dyed-snowball-fight competitions and some of the most raucous après-ski you’ll find anywhere. Thousands of people take part in the fire-lit night-time parades through the street of Québec that more often than not turn into all-night parties. Come dawn, if you’re brave enough - or just plain drunk enough – you can join in the traditional morning dip in the freezing St Lawrence river, which is guaranteed to cure any hangover. The carnival even has a mascot, a lovable snowman called ‘Bonhomme’, and after two weeks of snow-induced hysteria you too will be sobbing into your scarf as he waves farewell for another year.

Calgary Stampede

An orgy of all things cowboy and cowgirl, the Calgary Stampede brings around a quarter of a million spectators and participants to this likeable Canadian city every year. It’s not just about chaps-in-chaps, this is the real thing, ten days of seriously manly events that kicks off on the first Friday with a traditional parade, featuring the several thousand Stampede participants and their horses. Thereafter, the focus of activity is Stampede Park, a vast open area which contains an amusement park, concert and show venues, bars, restaurants and all sorts of stalls. At the heart of the action are the rodeo competitions, including bronco-riding, bull-riding, branding, steer-wrestling, cow-tackling – fiercely competitive affairs that draw the bravest and most talented cowboys from every corner of the continent. Equally compelling are the enormously dangerous chuck-wagon races. These are held once each night, and the four top drivers go through to a final on the last night – a fitting and exciting conclusion to the festival. Other things to see include a native tepee village, lots of livestock displays, and the cracking world blacksmith competition; check out also the outdoor stage, used for late night country-and-western performances. But really it’s the guys and gals on horses that steal the show. If you want to go, be sure book accommodation well ahead of time. It’s popular.

Toonik Tyme

Towards the end of April, Iqalit (also known as Frobisher Bay), the tiny capital of the newly proclaimed Canadian region of Nunavut, throws off the hard Arctic winter blanket with Toonik Tyme, a week-long showcase of Inuuit skills and northern life. Toonik is the mythical herald of spring, and as the festival gets underway, vague sightings of him are made around town – even if he does look suspiciously like a man dressed in caribou skins. Fishing and hunting sprees are central events (followed up by a seal-skinning contest) along with an endurance snow-mobile race over the icy plains surrounding the town. If these don’t appeal, try your hand at building an igloo, using only traditional knives and the odd hardware tool to shape the blocks – the winning structure has to be able to support a man standing on the roof, and if you can build one in ninety minutes you’re doing well. After this you might want to take in one of the ancient Broadway shows that come to town during Toonik Tyme, but those after a more authentically Innuit experience might prefer the traditional throat-singing competitions, where the singers’ voices seem to bubble up from the vocal chords, bypassing the mouth completely. The winner is, of course, the singer who manages to reduce all the others to laughter.

Coldrsx
Jan 16, 2007, 9:36 PM
yup, that sums up canada...

winter-cowboys-winter

IntotheWest
Jan 16, 2007, 9:40 PM
yup, that sums up canada...

winter-cowboys-winter

If you read mid-way down, you'd see that they are openly inviting people to point them to festivals and events that they may have overlooked...and it obviously doesn't have to be unique.

I think some of Edmonton's festivals are definitely worth pointing out - Fringe for sure, and maybe even the Street Performers.

EDIT: And actually, if you cared to look, the Toonik Tyme is actually in Spring - not winter.

raggedy13
Jan 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'd never even heard of Toonik Tyme. Sounds interesting.

Calgarian
Jan 16, 2007, 10:54 PM
What else is there that is worth mentioning in a global context?

1ajs
Jan 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
Canada day!
victoria day!
------

folkarama
folkfest

Greco Roman
Jan 16, 2007, 11:41 PM
Canada day!
victoria day!
------

folkarama
folkfest

Don't forget the Fringe Festival!

shreddog
Jan 16, 2007, 11:43 PM
Let's see ..

Caribana.

Winterlude ('cept this year).

Jazz Festival. IMHO, neither the comedy nor the F1 have the same street party atmosphere as The Jazz.

BTW, again IMHO for truly national/world festival/party, if you have to mention the city, perhaps it ain't that well known??

CCF
Jan 17, 2007, 12:42 AM
No Craven Jamboree!?

elsonic
Jan 17, 2007, 4:46 AM
the best festival I've ever been to is Festival de théatre de rue de Shawinigan.

and I'm glad you don't believe me, it's not too crowdy, commercial and molson dried yet.

Doug
Jan 17, 2007, 5:33 AM
http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com

m0nkyman
Jan 17, 2007, 6:01 AM
Just for Laughs/Juste pour Rire. (http://www.hahaha.com/)

1ajs
Jan 17, 2007, 6:14 AM
o ya fringe fest

hey do they still do a parade for fringe?

MaThQc
Jan 17, 2007, 6:26 AM
Festival d'été de Québec ou la Fête nationale du Québec à Québec sur les plaines d'Abraham!

Summer festival of Quebec City or the Quebec Day in Quebec City.

IntotheWest
Jan 17, 2007, 7:13 AM
Just for Laughs is a good one, so is Jazz Festival for sure.

The book also has Cannes Film Fest down, so I would imagine Toronto Film Fest deserves a mention - since it is the largest or second largest now (and a good one too!).

I put the links on the first post for any that are interested in passing them the info...they have a lot more listings for the US, and have definitely overlooked many in Canada.

malek
Jan 17, 2007, 2:29 PM
F1 weekend beats everything else in this city hands down as to intensity and excitement.

a 10 days jazz festival is just a long stretch imo and has no "orgy ending", i'm not even gonna bother commenting the 'music'.

Greco Roman
Jan 17, 2007, 2:36 PM
CBC Winnipeg Comedy Festival

Taller Better
Jan 17, 2007, 7:00 PM
Toonik Tyme?

For Toronto I would list Caribana, Gay Pride, the Santa Claus Parade, and maybe New Year's Eve
at Nathan Philip's Square. I think Rough Guides is British or Australian so it stands to reason they would
not list a lot of Canadian events. I think most travel guides are terribly done, and they cannibalize each other.
When you read travel guides, they all sound the same, because they have researched each other's work and cribbed a lot of cliches.

IntotheWest
Jan 17, 2007, 7:09 PM
Toonik Tyme?

For Toronto I would list Caribana, Gay Pride, the Santa Claus Parade, and maybe New Year's Eve
at Nathan Philip's Square. I think Rough Guides is British or Australian so it stands to reason they would
not list a lot of Canadian events. I think most travel guides are terribly done, and they cannibalize each other.
When you read travel guides, they all sound the same, because they have researched each other's work and cribbed a lot of cliches.

Yes, Rough Guides from UK. I think it's more like LonelyPlanet not Fodors/Frommers - so I think they really listen to feedback they receive. "They" do try the different events to rank them in their book, but the website DB is voted by readers.

Toonik Tyme was a bit of a surprise, but it did make the "Best of the Rest" as mentioned - so they obviously enjoyed it, and it would be quite unique.

My personal opinion of leaving certain events out is you can't bitch about it if you haven't at least tried to point out things they overlook (not on this forum ;) )...it is a big world, and a lot of events to cover for any book. I also do think tourists do rely on these kind of books - so its good to get the info out there.

sync
Jan 17, 2007, 7:10 PM

heh.

LordMandeep
Jan 17, 2007, 7:49 PM
Gay pride, Caribana, the Celebrate Toronto and the Danforth festival each draw a million people...

I liked the vibe of the jazz festival in Montreal.

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
yeah i would think Caribana would be on there

perhaps though its like one of those things where people have to pay to be put in the book ?

MonkeyRonin
Jan 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
TIFF and Montreal Pride Parade as well.

LordMandeep
Jan 18, 2007, 3:47 AM
TIFF has become a massive event in like 3 years.

Its easily tied and just behind Cannes for biggest festival in the world. Surprised by that.

SpongeG
Jan 18, 2007, 4:52 AM
why?

it's at the right time for the industry - they can push all their big year end films and its very close to home so many people can go easily

shappy
Jan 18, 2007, 5:30 AM
^ there's a little more to it than that ;). As far as the top film festivals go, it's very easily accessible to the public, which is unique. The programming is also stellar. The amount of international stuff is fantastic. And Torontonians are generally really into film (and I don't just mean the Hollywood stuff), so the audiences are intelligent and interested. I think this is Toronto's premier event. Caribana is big and cool but the influence is very shallow compared to TIFF. Pride is also awesome. Easily one of the best and biggest in the world (or at the very least NA).

Only The Lonely..
Jan 18, 2007, 5:48 AM
For Winnipeg...Festival du Voyageur is pretty unique.

Our Folk fest and Fringe fest are pretty big deals too. CNN comes up to the Peg to cover the Folk Fest from time to time.

Taller Better
Jan 18, 2007, 6:12 AM
Also Toronto International Film Festival benefitted hugely by the decision to move the Oscars to Feb, from March. For some reason that made TIFF even more important for launching Oscar hopefuls and it is mushrooming hugely the past four years, like Lord Mandeep said. They have always worked extremely hard, and have never tried to "copy" another festival (which has been the kiss of death of some film festivals), and they geared themselves toward the industry for deal making, etc.. The breadth of the programming is amazing- it is not just Hollywood blockbusters. And the citizens of Toronto have played their part by so enthusiastically enjoying it every year. All things add up to an amazing film festival.

IntotheWest
Jan 18, 2007, 6:46 AM
Also Toronto International Film Festival benefitted hugely by the decision to move the Oscars to Feb, from March. For some reason that made TIFF even more important for launching Oscar hopefuls and it is mushrooming hugely the past four years, like Lord Mandeep said. They have always worked extremely hard, and have never tried to "copy" another festival (which has been the kiss of death of some film festivals), and they geared themselves toward the industry for deal making, etc.. The breadth of the programming is amazing- it is not just Hollywood blockbusters. And the citizens of Toronto have played their part by so enthusiastically enjoying it every year. All things add up to an amazing film festival.

I attended a premier gala event in Yorkville for a Pierce Brosnan film way back in 2002 when I worked out there...it was very cool.

Mentioning the TIFF to the Rough Guides is definitely worth it.

@only the lonely - Festival du Voyageur is on their website, and their write-up is interesting ;)

LordMandeep
Jan 18, 2007, 8:27 PM
I would take Stampede from Calgary...
TIFF from Toronto
For Winnipeg Festival du Voyageur
Winterlude for Ottawa
The Jazz fest for Montreal.

BlackRedGold
Jan 18, 2007, 9:06 PM
Winterlude for Ottawa

Canada Day is a much bigger deal in Ottawa then Winterlude.

Xelebes
Jan 19, 2007, 12:57 AM

Shambhala and WEMF indeed.

Also Motion Notion outside of Edmonton - though it's only 4,000 people at most. Could have lots more.

But we do have Big Valley Jamboree by Camrose (hour south-east of Edmonton.)