PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Universities

paul451
Jan 15, 2007, 8:45 PM
Hey all,

I am currently applying to College, I have decided to go back to Canada (I currently live in Munich but I am Canadian).
Being so far away from Canada I would really appreciate some input from anyone who has any experience with the system.

I want to study Management or international business. Below are the universities I currently have on my list:

• University of Toronto
• Ryerson
• Brock
• University of Ottawa
• Carleton
• Concordia
• Dalhousie

Does anyone have anything they can tell me about any of these or any other universities, I am trying to stay on the east coast if it is possible?

Also how long does it take from the time your application has been submitted for them to give a response?

Paul

Coldrsx
Jan 15, 2007, 9:13 PM
^those are great choices and each have informative and helpful websites.....but dont discount

www.ualberta.ca

alps
Jan 15, 2007, 9:23 PM
Hi Paul,

All good choices. I haven't had any real experience with Dalhousie, but the campus and location is terrific (very central), and it is in general a very respected university.

I've heard from one person the Sobey School of Business (http://www.sobey.smu.ca/) (at St. Mary's University (http://www.smu.ca/), also in Halifax) is very good, apparently better than Dal's business program. They're in a fairly new building, and the government pumped a lot of money into the school a little while ago.

MolsonExport
Jan 15, 2007, 11:13 PM
I am a Concordia Alumni (PhD, MSc, BComm), and I highly recommend the place for the combination of business education and the fact that it is in the heart of Montreal.

Have you considered Western (The University of Western Ontario), which has the world-class IVEY school of business?

BlackRedGold
Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 AM
Have you considered Western (The University of Western Ontario), which has the world-class IVEY school of business?

I'd avoid Western for business. You don't apply directly to get in the business program. You have to go to Western for a year and then apply to get into business.

I took business at Carleton and my wife at UOttawa. I can't say that I was really impressed with Carleton and the incompetent administration but things might have changed now and they do have an International Business option where you spend a year abroad.

Carleton's harder then UOttawa but UOttawa is in a better location.

graupner
Jan 16, 2007, 1:41 AM
Hey all,

Also how long does it take from the time your application has been submitted for them to give a response?

Paul

Usually, if you plan to start you study in September 2007, you have to submit an application by March 2007 to get a response in decent time.

Also, it doesn't seem to be in your initial choices, but Montreal is the biggest University city in Canada and one of the biggest in North America ( along with Boston). It is on the East Coast btw.

HEC Montreal ( Montreal's main bussiness and administration school) ranks amongst the best schools in the world. You can choose to study in French, English, and some programs are offered in Spanish too.
Ontario has some very good bussiness schools too. Wherever you choose to go, I'm sure you will enjoy Canada!

http://neumann.hec.ca/photos/ecole500.jpg
http://neumann.hec.ca/photos/atrium500.jpg

chris
Jan 16, 2007, 1:57 AM
I highly recommend Concordia's John Molson School of Business if you want to study Management or International Business. Concordia's JMSB is one of the best business schools in the country.

adam-machiavelli
Jan 16, 2007, 1:58 AM
Apparently Queen's has a good business school. It has to if you're paying $10,000 per year to go there.

malek
Jan 16, 2007, 2:18 AM
go with the ones that employers will recognize the name the most around the world... McGill and University of Toronto.

Who really cares about the content of the programs ;)

samne
Jan 16, 2007, 3:20 AM
Ryerson School of Business has a brand new state-of-the-art faculty building on Bay St.

http://www.ryerson.ca/faculties/business/index.html

If you can spare a week, you can probably get to see all those campuses aside from Dalhousie.

LeftCoaster
Jan 16, 2007, 3:33 AM
go with the ones that employers will recognize the name the most around the world... McGill and University of Toronto.

Who really cares about the content of the programs ;)

Thats the thing though, employers DO know which individual schools have good business programs. I would put in a shameless plug for Queens which I beleive to be the best business school in the country, and honorable mention to HEC and Ivey, both very good schools as well.

CCF
Jan 16, 2007, 6:19 AM
Thats the thing though, employers DO know which individual schools have good business programs. I would put in a shameless plug for Queens which I beleive to be the best business school in the country, and honorable mention to HEC and Ivey, both very good schools as well.

I think every schools claims to have the "best" buisness school.

Do you know how many times I have heard Haskayne is the best school?

paul451
Jan 16, 2007, 8:52 AM
Wow, I did not expect such a great response.

I have been to visit during fall break of last year all of the colleges on my list. Apart from Dal.

Also for me Montreal is not a problem as I speak and understand french on the same level as english, I just cant write it to good.

I have also looked at the Macleans guide but I did not think it was very helpful.

Thanks alot for the pointer you have all put.

Paul

flar
Jan 16, 2007, 1:24 PM
University of Western Ontario has and excellent Administrative and Commercial Studies program that many students take prior to entering the Ivey School of Business. Almost everything at Western is top notch as well.

barneyg
Jan 16, 2007, 1:38 PM
About the "best" business schools: whether one's looking for an undergrad business degree (BBA) or an MBA is a totally different ball game.

At the undergrad level, as far as Canadian universities are concerned, there's not much of a difference in either the quality of education you're going to get, or the way you'll be perceived by employers once you graduate. I have a background in accounting, and I've never heard someone (or seen a statistic) say that UofT (Rotman) or Queen's or McGill or HEC graduates have it easier than Carleton or Dalhousie or Laval U.

At the MBA level, it's probably different once you take into account what you want to do next. Whether you want to work in investment banking in TO or in int'l business for a big consulting firm is going to be very different from looking for not as glamorous, but otherwise solid-looking prospects in the business world. At the IB/international level, UofT and Western (and maybe Queen's, or out west UBC and U of Alberta) have better reputations. Then McGill and York are also pretty well known. As far as I'm concerned HEC is an OK choice, but you shouldn't overestimate its impact outside Quebec, and I don't think it's any better than Concordia, which used to be "just alright" but is getting better every year. I've been in Pittsburgh for 2 years now, and in the (few) discussions I've had about Canadian universities, U of T, McGill and UBC are always the most widely recognized names. Sometimes people know about Queen's, U of Alberta and Waterloo, too. Nobody knows about York, HEC, Ryerson, Brock, Carleton, McMaster.. again, I'm not saying these schools suck because they don't.

TheMeltyMan
Jan 16, 2007, 7:24 PM
I'm a current Concordia undergrad and its Urban Planning program is rather understaffed and underwhelming. I'd still recommend it but depending on your major, you might be stuck with either incredibly urbane or middle of nowhere because of the dual campuses.

paul451
Jan 16, 2007, 8:27 PM
I'm a current Concordia undergrad and its Urban Planning program is rather understaffed and underwhelming. I'd still recommend it but depending on your major, you might be stuck with either incredibly urbane or middle of nowhere because of the dual campuses.

I know when I went to visit Concordia, what struck me was the distance between the two campuses, also the lack of housing was strange.

I also went to visit York at Glendon and Trent, I was very disappointed by both, Trent was the worse, it was really mundane, seemed to have not had any development in like 30 years and was in the middle of no where.

York at Glendon, just left me with a bad feeling not to sure why, I think it was the really small size.

LordMandeep
Jan 16, 2007, 8:31 PM
Borat came to Ryerson.....

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 16, 2007, 10:24 PM
I am a Concordia Alumni

No, you're an alumnus.

MolsonExport
Jan 16, 2007, 10:33 PM