PDA

View Full Version : When cities become small towns - thoughts.

Segun
Jan 5, 2007, 1:42 AM
"_____ is the largest small town"

Growing up in Chicago, my mother and I would always take long El trips to destinations in various areas across the city. We often would ride the El for periods of an hour or more. Everything outside of the North and South sides seemed like a new country to me. I would kneel on the seats staring out the window at these alien landscapes: places such as Pilsen, Ravenswood, or Garfield Park. I'd sit in the front of the Blue Line as it made its descent into a tunnel with the skyline looming ahead, peering over the window thinking I was Batman. I can also remember sitting in the backseat of a rented car as my Mother and Stepfather went cruising for clubs in brand new up and coming neighborhoods such as Wicker Park. It all seemed so exciting and new to me.

Now that I've been nearly everywhere in Chicago (thanks to this site), I don't feel like its a large city anymore. If I'm shopping, Michigan Avenue has simply been reduced to "that Walgreens on the corner of Lake street". I speak of it like its some little cornerstore around the block. Major clubs become lil' ol' juke joints to me, and the citywide Lakefront might as well be the town park. I feel like some character ripped from the movie Pleasantville:

"I see good ol Mr Fields sold his store to some Macy's guy and it has a new name"

"You don't say. I hope he still has those good chocolates. Don't forget to come to annual mayoral cake frosting festival"

It looks so epic in pictures, but in my mind, its underwhelming, but its, like, 700 miles of streets, it shouldn't be. I shouldn't be able to look at a picture of a bank branch and tell you where it is based on a minute building detail such as a fuckin cornice.

Even when I visit cities, this mentality kicks in. In my case it takes only a couple of days for a city to lose its grandiosity, even in a place such as NYC. After spending some time there, I wouldn't want to live in NYC, cause I prefer being bored in my own hometown. I like NYC as an outsider, because no matter where I go, every neighborhood will have a novelty factor. I'd hate to move there and wear it out by the end of the year. The way I explore neighborhoods, I could see that happening. The first time I visited, it , within 2 days, Times Square went from amazing to a hassle, I got tired of the 1 and 9 line like I am with the Red Line here. I kept running in to the same people, the same train stations, the Marshalls on 125th, etc....

I could just picture myself sitting at home in NYC on a saturday night grumbling to myself, "there ain't shit to do in this town"

Even when I returned for a couple of brief visits years later, this small town effect already hit me. How did I end up in the exact same pizza joint on Broadway and 94? How did I end up on that random street in lower Manhattan with the exact same vantage point, looking at the exact same Ethiopian restaurant?

(first picture by me 2004, 2nd by ColDayMan 2006)
http://www.streetsandsoul.com/nyc1/ec35.jpg
http://www.urbanohio.com/OtherStates/NewYork/NYC/Manhattan/Manhattan23.jpg

So what comes next, Tokyo? If I lived there, Would I be making trips to the Ginza district to pick up a bag of Cheetos and going back home directly afterwards? I know I can't be alone in this thinking.

So, to summarize this rambling, when it comes to cities, are you a person who can totally be stimulated by the sights and sounds of the city, no matter how many times you've seen it, or someone who gets bored quickly with it? And does anybody else have any stories or thoughts about this?

Cirrus
Jan 5, 2007, 1:47 AM
Do even the largest cities seem small once I'm there? Yes.

Does that make them boring? Ehhhh, can't say so.

Trantor
Jan 5, 2007, 1:57 AM
Your neighbors lawn is always greener.

When its summer, I miss the winter. When its winter, I miss the summer.

This is all very human, isnt it?

Mavrick
Jan 5, 2007, 2:12 AM
Feeling like a big city is getting smaller, it sure happens to me. Getting bored and tired of a city, no way!!

Midwesterner
Jan 5, 2007, 2:23 AM
I seem to be the opposite of you. I walk down the same streets because it's a different experience every day. And granted I've never lived in the city (or a truly urban part of it), so I wouldn't know what's it's like to experience the same commute every day or visiting the same stores and restaurants. If anything it's made me enjoy the city much more.

Right now the last three or four years of my life looks like it reflects your childhood in the sense that I've been to places in the city that I've never been before (thanks to being able to drive) and it's a neat experience. Although sometimes when I'm randomly wondering/driving around town for pics, I'll stop and be like: this looks like a nice shot, then I'll realize I've taken the same pic three or four times.

JivecitySTL
Jan 5, 2007, 2:39 AM
Goonsta, I love your honest and colorful insight. I don't think there is an urbanite in the world who wouldn't agree. You spend enough time anywhere-- even a really big city like Chicago-- and it will eventually begin to feel small. But its that same feeling that gives a place that hometown warmth. I definitely get that feeling in New York. It's kind of like a Sesame Street type of aura about it-- with the corner stores, the familiar faces, the neighborly consciousness. Great stuff, goon. Your threads rock.

CGII
Jan 5, 2007, 2:51 AM
I know the exact same of what you talk about, goonsta. It's happened to me with Milwaukee (though every once and a while I find something new). It does rub a little of the excitement and curiousity out, but I've adopted a love for the known ever since 'seeing it all,' if you know what I mean.

ctman987
Jan 5, 2007, 3:49 AM
I go to school in NYC so for a good 9 months of the year I live in NYC and quite honestly I never get sick of this city. Every single time I go to Times Square for adventure I never get bored of it. Seeing the thousands of people walking around and taking in an actual city...as opposed to Disney Land or Ocean City.

There is so much to explore in NYC. Besides exploring Manhattan which goes past the 96th street area that most maps show of Manhattan there are four other boroughs...each with their own identity and character. Brooklyn would be the country's fourth largest city and one could spend ages exploring brooklyn from downtown Brooklyn which is one of the areas's largest CBD's to the upscale Park Slope. Up to Bronx and there is the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Garden, Yankee Stadium, Fordham University, Arthur Avenue, Van Cortland Park, Riverdale and Kingsbridge. Over on Staten Island is home to more then a mall and Coney Island...for example Wagner College.

I will never get sick of New York....

Now one could easily say thats because its New York...I never get sick of Hartford, CT where im from. A city of 17 square miles and 121,500 people and yet I never get sick of walking down the same streets, driving through the same neighborhoods and checking in on new progress throughout the city

bryson662001
Jan 5, 2007, 3:52 AM
What you say is true of everyplace segun which is why we appreciate a city that is growing and changing, putting up new buildings and expanding into new areas. It keeps things fresh.

Derek
Jan 5, 2007, 3:55 AM
I will never get sick of New York....

Now one could easily say thats because its New York...I never get sick of Hartford, CT where im from. A city of 17 square miles and 121,500 people and yet I never get sick of walking down the same streets, driving through the same neighborhoods and checking in on new progress throughout the city

i couldnt have said it any better...i say the same exact thing about SD...though it is much larger...i always find myself walking down the same streets...always watching them change...it is quite a unique experience!:yes:

brickell
Jan 5, 2007, 5:29 AM
I think we all agree that the repition becomes rote and makes the most bizzare or beautiful just another day. I think what sepparates a Chicago or New York however is the wow factor. Every time I cross the Rickenbacker Causeway here in Miami, I get that feeling. Every time I look out at the Statue of Liberty, or gaze up from the bottom of the JH, it's a "god damn!" moment. Like great movies or great songs, it's these little moments that keep us coming back.

UrbanSophist
Jan 5, 2007, 6:12 AM
I think a little break from the neighborhood exploration is good. I've done this when I felt like I already knew Chicago too much, and then 6 months later I went back on another adventure to be basically astonished at how large and colorful Chicago is. So, I guess it really just is about whatever you're used to. We're sorta wired that way by nature... at least I am.

kool maudit
Jan 5, 2007, 6:55 AM
it's nice to move away for this reason; after a year in london, montreal was new and strange again, even though i remembered all of the landscapes.

ColDayMan
Jan 5, 2007, 7:12 AM
Basically.

mthq
Jan 5, 2007, 8:02 AM
I think I can relate although it involves driving and not walking. While it's no Chicago or NYC; Anchorage is actually one of the largest cities in America in terms of land size. As soon as I got my drivers liscense however, I have probably driven about 10,000 miles worth of joyrides in the last 2 years which have certainly made the city feel smaller.

As a result, two nights ago a friend called and wanted to abandon his gf at a store (she drove) after a rough fight the night before at a new years party. Knowing that she will drive to his house and look for him, I whisked him away and we left town at around midnight and just drove around a couple of smaller (but very spread out) towns 50 miles north.

Of course we could have just stayed in the city, but he knows I wore it out and I'm already getting familiar with the towns in Southcentral Alaska, so why not head out there?

Attrill
Jan 5, 2007, 8:33 AM
I understand what you're saying, but I think what makes a city vibrant and alive are the people and the transitory events - I go out about 4 nights a week and still the list of things that I wish I had seen is immense (bands, art exhibits, sporting events, etc.). Just today I found out about two newly opened restaurants to add to my list of places to go (and it's a long list).

I feel like I know all the nooks and crannies of Chicago (as well as anywhere the CTA goes - Berwyn, Oak Park, Evanston, etc.) but there are still so many things happening on any given night that I know I'm missing a lot. I think the difference is in looking at everything in detail, the big picture of the city may not change drastically, but what is happening in that space is alive and continually changing.

DeadManWalking
Jan 5, 2007, 4:03 PM
I remember being a kid and thinking downtown Kansas City, Missouri was magical and really special. Then I worked there and it turned into nothing more than just another place.