PDA

View Full Version : Tell me, am I crazy for doing this?

BoiseAirport
Jan 1, 2007, 9:06 AM
Hello!

Tomorrow, I'm going to be flying BOI-MSP-HNL-LAX-PDX-GEG-BOI, spanning 2 days and allowing only 3 hours to be spent in Hawaii. Now why, do you ask?

I'm doing this so I can fly on what will probably be my last chance to fly a DC-10, one of, if not my favorite aircraft (barely) flying in the skies, and Northwest, who is the last US carrier to schedulely operate these beauties is set to retire them very very soon.

But, I ask, in sort of a joking way, am I crazy for doing this? Is it worth it? I think it'll be a hell of a jaunt, but it will be worth it. I'll bring my camera, and post pictures of the trip in this thread.

Anthony

urbanflyer
Jan 1, 2007, 9:16 AM
Not at all crazy. Sounds like a blast.

staff
Jan 1, 2007, 9:39 AM
Of course you're not.
I thought it was a milage run at first, considering the weird routing - but this is just as good a reason! :tup:

Have fun!

Jonas
Jan 1, 2007, 12:32 PM
As long as it makes you feel happy it's worth it. Simple as that. :)

M II A II R II K
Jan 1, 2007, 12:37 PM
What's special about a DC-10?

Robert Pence
Jan 1, 2007, 1:33 PM
Crazy in a good way. Sounds like an adventure!

vid
Jan 1, 2007, 1:43 PM
Whatever floats your boat. :)

boden
Jan 1, 2007, 3:32 PM
What do you like about the DC-10?

Major AWACS
Jan 1, 2007, 4:16 PM
Sounds like a milage run!

Good tailwinds.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man, landing is the 1st

Lexy
Jan 1, 2007, 5:58 PM
Not at all crazy. Sounds like a blast.

I agree! Consider yoruself very lucky to be flying on this bird.

Justin10000
Jan 1, 2007, 9:21 PM
I'd do it.

Frick. I remember one time, I travelled all the way to Montreal just to ride the Metro for a few hours, and then I travelled back.

10 hour trip for a 1.5 hour ride!

Go for it!

micro
Jan 1, 2007, 9:27 PM
^^ Sounds familiar. I once made a stopover in Moscow only to ride the metro. Can highly recommend it! (http://mic-ro.com/metro/moscow.html)

Xelebes
Jan 1, 2007, 11:45 PM
Sure, I might think you were a tad bit autistic but there is no harm in doing such.

JACKinBeantown
Jan 2, 2007, 3:11 PM
I once flew from Karachi to London. But instead of going straight there, I stopped in Paris for one night. I landed close to midnight, took a crazy Parisian taxi ride to a hotel right across the street from the Musee d'Orsay, got there at 1:30 a.m., went to the museum when it opened the next morning for about an hour and a half, then rushed to the airport and caught my outgoing flight at noon to London and New York.

You do what you gotta do. :)

nomarandlee
Jan 2, 2007, 6:06 PM
A little nutty. But if you have the disposable income, time, and like to fly why not?!!

I do agree about the DC-10. I love their look. Too bad they have are dwindling out of circulation.

BnaBreaker
Jan 2, 2007, 8:06 PM
I like the randomness of it. Better pack a few good books though! lol

wrightchr
Jan 2, 2007, 9:34 PM
But, I ask, in sort of a joking way, am I crazy for doing this?

yeah...your officially crazy!!!:D

MSPtoMKE
Jan 4, 2007, 4:29 AM
Have fun!

http://www.boomspeed.com/atucker7/TC_random_30.jpg

ajfroggie
Jan 5, 2007, 3:11 AM
A southeast wind at MSP...that doesn't happen often...

oliveurban
Jan 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
Not crazy, at all. If I had the extra time (and money), I would plan something very similar.

One of the very first planes I've ever flown on was a DC-10, from LAX-HNL on American, when I was only 4 years old. It was a great trip.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the 'ol bird.