PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Columbus: Population increase hasn't translated into retail growth

Wheelingman04
Dec 30, 2006, 5:36 AM
Downtown Columbus
Population increase hasn't translated into retail growth
http://www.thisweeknews.com/?story=s...ws-284708.html
Thursday, December 28, 2006

By KEVIN PARKS
ThisWeek Staff Writer Now troubled, City Center Mall reversed a trend when it opened

Around 1950, downtown Columbus boasted 90 retailers and a dozen sit-down restaurants along High Street alone.

In 1989, just prior to the opening of the City Center mall, only 25 retailers and five sit-down eateries remained along High Street, local retail analyst Christopher D. Boring said in a June 2004 report to the Columbus Metropolitan Club.

The opening of an urban shopping mall represented, at least temporarily, a complete reversal of a trend to suburban shopping centers that may well have been started, curiously enough, right here in Columbus.

On the Web site of the local real estate development company Casto, founder Don Monroe Casto Sr. is cheerfully given credit for opening the nation's first regional shopping center.

According to the history section of the firm's Web site, Casto began developing single-family homes in Upper Arlington in the mid-1920s, but had trouble selling them "because there was nowhere nearby to shop ... "

"In 1928 he opened Grandview Avenue Shopping Center, the first shopping center built to serve a trade area beyond its immediate neighborhood," the site states.

Spurred by the success of that more-modest development, Don Casto Sr. went on to open Town and Country in Whitehall in 1949.

'"Immediately after the opening of the first section of Town and Country, we knew that a great industry had been born,' said Casto, who moved swiftly to secure other sites before land values soared. He then constructed and opened 16 more shopping centers in the Midwest during the 1950s.

City Center, a "smash success" when it opened, according to Boring's Metropolitan Club presentation, was utterly unlike its shopping mall brothers and sisters, in that it was in the heart of downtown and not in the suburbs.

City Center today is a far cry from its "smash success" era.

Retail analysts are more than a little disappointed with the performance of the mall's current owner, the Maryland-based Mills Corp., according to Boring. The company had a reputation for innovation, Boring said, and many expected great things when City Center joined the Mills Corp. portfolio of shopping centers.

That hasn't happened, in large part, Boring said, because of an accounting scandal at the firm.

"The bottom line is, nothing is happening at City Center," Boring said. "It's just sitting there."

To some extent, he said, City Center was a "quick fix" that hasn't worked over the long term.

"City Center was built as a suburban mall," Boring said. "It just happened to be downtown."

As longtime downtown resident Michael Wilkos put it, City Center was "downtown in location, not in spirit."

Boring predicted, however, that perhaps some mixed-use development of offices and retail may yet keep City Center alive.

-- Kevin Parks

It seems a peculiar contradiction: At a time when unprecedented numbers of relatively affluent people are setting up residence in downtown Columbus, retail stores in the central business district are fading and fleeing and folding. Or are long gone.

City Center, once the crown jewel of downtown retail, is but a shadow of itself, more meeting space and charter school than merchandising and charge-card shopping.

With Macy's down to a single anchor store from three in its heyday, and with an occupancy rate perhaps below 50 percent, many feel the handwriting is on the wall for the urban mall.

This is in spite of a tax abatement-fueled spate of loft and condo conversion projects that have created about 4,000 new dwelling units, some of them going for handsome prices, in the past four years.

What's up with that?

"We believe that retail is among the most nimble of industries, and that it follows people," offered Michael S. Brown, press secretary to Mayor Michael B. Coleman. "Thus our focus on bringing people back to downtown as a priority of the business plan. In just three years, we've seen the construction or development of 4,000 housing units, and are bringing more than 2,300 jobs downtown. This is a great start and we believe, as the population density and jobs increase, retail will stabilize and grow again.

"That said, we don't necessarily see downtown ever being a retail giant around City Center as it was many years ago."

That's a conclusion with which Christopher D. Boring agrees wholeheartedly.

Boring is the president of Boulevard Strategies. His economic development consulting firm, based in Columbus, specializes in retail development.

"You're just going to have to be patient," Boring said in a recent interview.

He pointed out that 4,000 new dwelling units in downtown hardly represents "critical mass" in terms of attracting shop owners to the area.

If the trend of more and more loft, condo and apartment development continues, Boring anticipates some degree of turnaround for downtown, but doubts it will ever be the "retail giant" it once was.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the retail analyst indicated.

Michael Wilkos concurred.

"It's only one of multiple reasons people live downtown," said Wilkos, a one-time urban planner who is now director of neighborhood development for United Way of Central Ohio.

Wilkos moved to downtown Columbus 11 years ago and as such, can remember a time when the urban streetscape was dotted with shoe retailers, clothing stores, bookshops and jewelers.

"It is odd that we had so much more thriving retail 10 years ago than we do today," he admitted.

Still, for downtown dwellers, places such as dry cleaning establishments, coffee shops and a full-service grocery store are much more important than the kind of spending opportunities represented by a thriving mall, according to Wilkos.

If having a shopping mall within walking distance is a major reason for deciding where to live, Wilkos pointed out, then hundreds would have taken up residence in downtown Columbus when City Center opened in 1989, and that certainly didn't happen.

However, he added, if the rate of growth in downtown housing continues over the next decade, that's almost bound to bring about some rebirth of retail trade.

Likewise, retail analyst Boring predicted that down the road, there will be more stores opening in downtown Columbus, possibly "off-price fashion retail" outlets. Boring expressed some surprise that no office-supply chain has taken the plunge to open a downtown store and predicted that the Macy's department store in City Center could remain "viable."

"I think it still has a chance, especially during the holiday season, to attract the office workers," Boring said.

<b>kparks@thisweeknews.com

toddguy
Dec 30, 2006, 8:05 AM
Well City Center is suffering a lingering death due to Polaris and Easton opening up. Just like Westland is suffering from Tuttle mall and Northland felt the death blow from Easton/Polaris as well. What retail life there was downtown was just sucked out. Ever since WW2 suburban shopping has taken off in Columbus and City Center was really an aberration.

Hopefully Nationwide can get their hands on City Center and work some magic by incorporating it in some masterplan for RiverSouth. In a way it would make more sense to have, instead of a regional mall plopped in the middle of downtown, a neighborhood center with a grocery store and other establishments split between being oriented toward a permanent downtown resident population and the 9-5 downtown working population.

I never did like how City Center just sat there like a bunker and wtf with that ugly concrete barrier wall along S.High street..and that grassy vacant spot at S. High and (Main I believe) with that cheesy skyline silhouette painted on the concrete..:yuck: If there is a God then Nationwide will get ahold of things down there and turn that area around.

Maybe they can knock it down and put up a plaza with a non-working fountain that is turned into a failure of a rink..the word 'Centrum' comes to mind!!:D

*Nationwide had better move some of those workers back downtown after the 'renovations' of it's downtown buildings too..don't make me go after you now Nationwide..*

miketoronto
Dec 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
You tell me how a downtown is suppose to see retail growth when you have a Columbus City Council that is mall happy, and is allowing suburban malls like Easton to pop up like weeds throughout the suburban parts of the city?

No one is to blame for the decline in downtown retail, but Columbus City Council. Columbus had one of the more stronger downtown retail areas in the country, and had maintained downtown as the central retail area of the region with the City Centre Mall.

Columbus decided to undo that by allowing other malls that were not needed to be built within their limits.

So blame the mayor, council, etc.

Evergrey
Dec 30, 2006, 2:13 PM
You tell me how a downtown is suppose to see retail growth when you have a Columbus City Council that is mall happy, and is allowing suburban malls like Easton to pop up like weeds throughout the suburban parts of the city?

No one is to blame for the decline in downtown retail, but Columbus City Council. Columbus had one of the more stronger downtown retail areas in the country, and had maintained downtown as the central retail area of the region with the City Centre Mall.

Columbus decided to undo that by allowing other malls that were not needed to be built within their limits.

Columbus residents voted with their dollars. If anyone's to blame, it's ColDayMan.

the pope
Dec 30, 2006, 2:50 PM
miketoronto bitching about about easton?

what's next, jen eating and stories of grandiose payless shoes?

miketoronto
Dec 30, 2006, 3:00 PM
The Pope,
I have never been a supporter of EASTON. Columbus did not need that mall.

toddguy
Dec 30, 2006, 10:13 PM

What do you mean 'allow'??? Just like Polaris the developers can build it within city limits, or they will build it outside the city limits in New Albany or unincorporated Delaware county-but the developers WILL build it. what would you have them to do? Do you really think the city council really could have done crap to stop those things getting built? This for better or for worse is not exactly The People's Republic of Central Ohio so the developers and big business run pretty rampant. At least this stuff like Polaris is within the city limits even if it is clear in another county. Better than having the crappy suburban stuff built in a suburb where there then would be no benefit whatsover to the city or it's tax base.

If you, we, or anyone should be blaming anyone it is the developers and their greed and the general stupid public that loves shit like Easton and Polaris.

*Also the downtown had long lost the 'retail hub' of the area to Northland, Eastland, and Westland long before City Center hit the scene. And it is Center, not Centre..this is not Canada ya know..(just joking with ya)*

Wheelingman04
Dec 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
^ I agree. If those malls were not built in Columbus they would have just been built in the suburbs. Obviously the city gets lots of tax dollars from these malls and surrounding businesses. Also Mayor Coleman has done a great job of promoting urban housing downtown and the revitalization of other central city neighborhoods.

Buckeye Native 001
Dec 30, 2006, 10:42 PM
This is clearly Michigan's fault.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Dec 30, 2006, 11:50 PM
I recall Center City when it first opened. It was pretty impressive in terms of retail. Some very nice stores, one of a kind stores, in that mall. I mean, a Marshall Fields outside of Chicagoland. And then that J Crew store and Gucci and also a Sharper Image (the first one that I was in).

It really was the topflight shopping center in those early days, yet oddly enough it was in the heart of the city with pay parking. Easton and Polaris probably did kill it as they are in growing areas and have the all-important free parking

But its interesting the conclusions in that article that a big influx of downtown residents will not translate into a growth in retail or return of retail into a center city.

J. Will
Dec 31, 2006, 5:57 AM
If only The Cheesecake Factory had opened downtown.

mhays
Dec 31, 2006, 6:01 AM
If you're a shopping mall or department store, a few thousand residents is a drop in the bucket. You need to reach a sizeable percentage of metro residents, augmented somewhat by tourists.

The new residents should be drawing an increase in resident-oriented retail such as corner stores, dry cleaners, etc.

ColDayMan
Dec 31, 2006, 6:28 AM
If you're a shopping mall or department store, a few thousand residents is a drop in the bucket. You need to reach a sizeable percentage of metro residents, augmented somewhat by tourists.

The new residents should be drawing an increase in resident-oriented retail such as corner stores, dry cleaners, etc.

Bingo.

miketoronto
Dec 31, 2006, 2:38 PM
Downtown Columbus shopping before malls killed it. And check out the article at the bottom of this post. That article sums up the problem Columbus has very well.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04391_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL02855_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04444_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04381_lrg.jpg

http://columbusoh.about.com/library/blrant07.htm
Columbus Malls
Overmalled All Over

For years I've been watching in utter amazement as malls and shopping centers keep popping up around Central Ohio like dandelions in my yard. "How can we support all this?" I kept asking. "Don't worry," friends would say, "they wouldn't build them if we couldn't handle it".

Really? Just look at the carnage. City Center, once so full of shoppers you could hardly walk, now has an empty Jacobsons, a soon empty Lazarus, several empty smaller stores, and a miracle that Kaufmanns took over Marshall Fields.

Look around town: Westland is a ghost town, Lane Avenue is being torn down and replaced with something smaller, Worthington Mall is suffering, Northland is boarded up, Big Bear is closing stores it had for decades like Town and Country, the Sawmill and 161 area that was once so full of traffic you could hardly move has shopping centers and New Market Mall that are almost totally empty, Columbus Square and Kingsdale are struggling, Brice Outlet Mall (is that what they're calling it this week?) has new tenants every time I drive by, even new malls like Tuttle Crossing and Polaris are seeing stores close. And remember The Continent?

Gee, do you think we built too much? Hmm…like I said ten years ago?

And remember the malls that almost were…like Federated Blvd. at Sawmill and 161 that was supposed to be a mall, remember? Or the glass box mall at 161 and Muirfield? Think what would have happened if those had come true?

Perhaps we are all to blame. We don't want to drive two miles to shop-we want it all next door. And when money moves outward to newly covered up cornfields, the shops want to move to be next door, leaving the old (ten years old, old by Columbus standards) areas as ghost towns.

But my question now is, how do we recover? These empty buildings are a drain on companies and communities, costing money but returning little.

I don't have an answer, but I do know this: all those rotting retail shells can have a purpose. The next time someone wants to build another mall, just drive them past all these corpses and say, "See what happened the last time someone said that!"

toddguy
Dec 31, 2006, 3:10 PM
Downtown Columbus shopping before malls killed it. And check out the article at the bottom of this post. That article sums up the problem Columbus has very well.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04391_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL02855_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04444_lrg.jpg

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/images/AL04381_lrg.jpg

http://columbusoh.about.com/library/blrant07.htm
Columbus Malls
Overmalled All Over

For years I've been watching in utter amazement as malls and shopping centers keep popping up around Central Ohio like dandelions in my yard. "How can we support all this?" I kept asking. "Don't worry," friends would say, "they wouldn't build them if we couldn't handle it".

Really? Just look at the carnage. City Center, once so full of shoppers you could hardly walk, now has an empty Jacobsons, a soon empty Lazarus, several empty smaller stores, and a miracle that Kaufmanns took over Marshall Fields.

Look around town: Westland is a ghost town, Lane Avenue is being torn down and replaced with something smaller, Worthington Mall is suffering, Northland is boarded up, Big Bear is closing stores it had for decades like Town and Country, the Sawmill and 161 area that was once so full of traffic you could hardly move has shopping centers and New Market Mall that are almost totally empty, Columbus Square and Kingsdale are struggling, Brice Outlet Mall (is that what they're calling it this week?) has new tenants every time I drive by, even new malls like Tuttle Crossing and Polaris are seeing stores close. And remember The Continent?

Gee, do you think we built too much? Hmm…like I said ten years ago?

And remember the malls that almost were…like Federated Blvd. at Sawmill and 161 that was supposed to be a mall, remember? Or the glass box mall at 161 and Muirfield? Think what would have happened if those had come true?

Perhaps we are all to blame. We don't want to drive two miles to shop-we want it all next door. And when money moves outward to newly covered up cornfields, the shops want to move to be next door, leaving the old (ten years old, old by Columbus standards) areas as ghost towns.

But my question now is, how do we recover? These empty buildings are a drain on companies and communities, costing money but returning little.

I don't have an answer, but I do know this: all those rotting retail shells can have a purpose. The next time someone wants to build another mall, just drive them past all these corpses and say, "See what happened the last time someone said that!"

Yes I agree completely. It just goes in repetitive cycles. Back in the day Great Western( I can remember those wonders of the world there..just barely..:( ), Northern Lights, Town and Country ...started the siphoning from downtown. Then they themselves were hit when Westland, Northland, and Eastland went up. Then Westland and Northland were hit(along with City Center) when Tuttle, Easton, and Polaris went up. It is like an endless cycle..and downtown has been hit all along. With the Downtown Lazarus now history and City Center on the skids it is just the continuation of what has been happening for half a century now. Suburban shopping centers and office parks have really hurt the downtown. Downtown retail has suffered and look at the office vacancy rate. And as has been pointed out City Center is dead as a regional shopping center. Better to accept that and move on with recreating it.

Hopefully something can be done to arrest this pattern. But I guess you have to look at the positive developments while acknowledging the problems IMO. Hopefully they can do an 'Arena District' in River South.

I know City Center is a bunker and is basically on life support now..but I really really HATE the idea of just bulldozing it. Knock some holes in it, redesign it, whatever..but just bulldozing a 17 year old complex that I can remember very well being built and going to when it was completed -and that has nothing really structurally wrong with it(beyond the inward-looking bad design) is just disgusting to me.

*prays for Nationwide to get it's hands on CC and work some magic.*

^^ If this can happen I will build a small portable shrine which I will take weekly down to Nationwide and High and will conduct a small service of thanks and goodwill for Nationwide :) ..(and will even forget all about the loss of Herbie's:D )

miketoronto
Dec 31, 2006, 3:21 PM
Here is an easy way to stop the cycle. By the way guys I know this could never happen, so don't think I am communist :)

BACK TO THE CENTRE PLAN

1. Set up a Metropolitan Columbus Gov to control planning in the entire Metro Columbus region.

2. Ban suburban/power centre mall development in the entire metro area.

3. Raise taxes on all suburban malls and power centres. Increase taxes as much as double or three times the rate it is now. This would make it unprofitable for these malls to continue, and the retail would be moved downtown, which would not be subject to the high tax rates.