PDA

View Full Version : Texas gained 579,275 Residents

Trae
Dec 29, 2006, 9:28 PM
Texas gained a whopping 579,275 people, bringing the state's population to 23.5 million by July 1, 2006. As many as 160,000 of the new arrivals were driven by Hurricane Katrina, estimates demographer Steven Murdock, director of the Texas State Data Center.

Louisiana lost nearly 220,000 of its residents, clearly exporting the lion's share of its uprooted population to Texas.

Article Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4420136.html)

shane453
Dec 29, 2006, 9:56 PM
Holy crap... That's a lot of folks!

We only gained 36,000 between 05 and 06... And that was our biggest increase in a decade or so... Pretty dang sad...

alon504
Dec 30, 2006, 5:35 AM
God help Texas...it's very evident (and refreshing), living in New Orleans, noticing what segment of the population from Katrina they took on....Texas is a big state, though, they can afford to assist the former poor of New Orleans.

KevinFromTexas
Dec 30, 2006, 6:02 AM
:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the way to think of the situation. :tup:

SLC Projects
Dec 30, 2006, 6:23 AM
That is alot of people, i would hate to be on the freeways. :haha:

JAM
Dec 30, 2006, 6:43 AM
God help Texas...it's very evident (and refreshing), living in New Orleans, noticing what segment of the population from Katrina they took on....Texas is a big state, though, they can afford to assist the former poor of New Orleans.

Why is it that New Orleans could not afford to assist? Why do you say Texas can? Why is TX different than LA? Why is TX different than any other state?

21bl0wed
Dec 30, 2006, 8:19 AM
Why is it that New Orleans could not afford to assist? Why do you say Texas can? Why is TX different than LA? Why is TX different than any other state?

LA is a second tier state...Like...MO/VA/WA etc. Texas is in first tier like CA/NY/FL. On the state level TX is capable of much more than LA in terms of federal aid.

galaca
Dec 30, 2006, 8:24 AM

Yea, that's why the difference in crime rate here in NO pre and post-Katrina is negligble, maybe even an increase.

LouisianaRush
Dec 31, 2006, 12:44 AM

What a horrible thing to say. Have some class man. I have lost many friends in New Orleans who had to move to Texas (Houston) to make a living after the hurricane. Why would you ever want to see our own people loose their homes and move to another state?

Trae
Dec 31, 2006, 2:08 AM

You always bring this shit up. Not everyone that Texas (mostly Houston) got from New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana were full blown criminals. A lot (if not most) were hard working middle class families. I think the very wealthy have returned to New Orleans, but the middle class have found homes in suburban Houston.

I don't think anyone thought what you just said, though. It doesn't come up unless you bring it up.

alon504
Dec 31, 2006, 6:20 AM
What a horrible thing to say. Have some class man. I have lost many friends in New Orleans who had to move to Texas (Houston) to make a living after the hurricane. Why would you ever want to see our own people loose their homes and move to another state?

Oh don't take it to such heart. My own parents had 17 feet of water in their home (5 feet on the second floor). Their home recently got bulldozed. I have many friends and family that lost it all. But, truth be told, it's getting pretty old and stale, when people from Texas continue to talk about how all of the people have left here and have moved to Texas and aren't coming back. Now, that is the biggest crock of shit of it all.....Come to New Orleans and see firsthand...we're back. And, whether it is cold, classless, ignorant, whatever, the absolute truth is just about the only ones that aren't back are the poorest citizens that sustained themselves through government subsidies to their lives. It's the truth. And those that didn't come back that had high paying jobs and brains. Well, I understand, it has been a very painful experience. But, just because they didn't come back didn't mean their job left. That's why we have seen so many move to New Orleans from other cities in the last 9 months...because no fool would pass on a high paying job if it was offered to them.

Trae
Dec 31, 2006, 6:25 AM
We would have gained more than 460,000 people even without the evacuess for Louisiana. The article just stated that out of the 579,275 residents, 160,000 might have came from Louisiana. They did a piece on a couple that decided to stay, and one on who wanted to leave. Nothing more than that. Most of Texas' growth came from people around the country moving into its different metros.

alon504
Dec 31, 2006, 6:32 AM
We would have gained more than 460,000 people even without the evacuess for Louisiana. The article just stated that out of the 579,275 residents, 160,000 might have came from Louisiana. They did a piece on a couple that decided to stay, and one on who wanted to leave. Nothing more than that. Most of Texas' growth came from people around the country moving into its different metros.

I understand...Texas has been growing for sometime with transplants. I'm in Texas more than people on this forum would realize. I'm quite familiar with economic expansion in Houston and Dallas. I'm involved with economic expansion in Texas and Greater New Orleans. But, I just don't live in Texas. I live in New Orleans and it is where I'm staying. But, I understand the entire situation and have all demographics on Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and New Orleans right on my desk in front of me right now. Yes, New Orleans does intermingle with cities in Texas, daily, when it comes to the economy. I do it, myself every week. My company is expanding in Texas right now, but, it just happens to be happily based in New Orleans.

totheskies
Jan 1, 2007, 5:02 PM
Oh don't take it to such heart. My own parents had 17 feet of water in their home (5 feet on the second floor). Their home recently got bulldozed. I have many friends and family that lost it all. But, truth be told, it's getting pretty old and stale, when people from Texas continue to talk about how all of the people have left here and have moved to Texas and aren't coming back. Now, that is the biggest crock of shit of it all.....Come to New Orleans and see firsthand...we're back. And, whether it is cold, classless, ignorant, whatever, the absolute truth is just about the only ones that aren't back are the poorest citizens that sustained themselves through government subsidies to their lives. It's the truth. And those that didn't come back that had high paying jobs and brains. Well, I understand, it has been a very painful experience. But, just because they didn't come back didn't mean their job left. That's why we have seen so many move to New Orleans from other cities in the last 9 months...because no fool would pass on a high paying job if it was offered to them.

So without your impoverished class of people, and without your professional class of people, who's going to work at McDonalds'? You? Who's going to be a heart surgeon? You?? The city needs ALLL segments of the population to be truly sustained. I've been to New Orleans after the hurricane, and the city is no where near recovered. Sure, they pumped up the tourism real quick for Mardi Gras, but that city as you know it has changed forever, and isn't coming back anytime soon.

alon504
Jan 3, 2007, 5:29 AM
So without your impoverished class of people, and without your professional class of people, who's going to work at McDonalds'? You? Who's going to be a heart surgeon? You?? The city needs ALLL segments of the population to be truly sustained. I've been to New Orleans after the hurricane, and the city is no where near recovered. Sure, they pumped up the tourism real quick for Mardi Gras, but that city as you know it has changed forever, and isn't coming back anytime soon.

Your opinion is respected. But, it is wrong. You have no idea, it seems, about how recovery takes place in any city from a natural event. With this one, I'm right...in 5 years, you'll be hard-pressed to find remnants of Katrina in New Orleans. And I find it most interesting that the first thing TO come back to New Orleans is it's culture, food, and love of life. Watch this city recover. If you're smart, you'll watch now, as it is happening in front of your eyes.

Trae
Jan 3, 2007, 5:49 AM
Well, in five years you can still see signs of 9/11 in NYC. And that site was just a few acres.

alon504
Jan 3, 2007, 6:04 AM
Well, in five years you can still see signs of 9/11 in NYC. And that site was just a few acres.

What are you saying?

KevinFromTexas
Jan 3, 2007, 7:58 AM

Even if they had started rebuilding at Ground Zero in early/mid 2002, they'd just now be wrapping up on whatever building they had started considering their height. Buildings that big often take 4 to 5 years to complete and that's under normal circumstances; nevermind the fact that there will be atleast three 1,000+ foot tall buildings there when everything is said and done.

9/11 and Hurricane Katrina were two totally different disasters resulting in different outcomes. Ultimately, though, Katrina was worse and much more destructive and widespread, but because of what has to be rebuilt at Ground Zero, all the politics, public input, and emotions involved, it will take equally as long, (possibly longer), to fix as rebuilding New Orleans will.

austlar
Jan 3, 2007, 9:37 AM
I understand...Texas has been growing for sometime with transplants. I'm in Texas more than people on this forum would realize. I'm quite familiar with economic expansion in Houston and Dallas. I'm involved with economic expansion in Texas and Greater New Orleans. But, I just don't live in Texas. I live in New Orleans and it is where I'm staying. But, I understand the entire situation and have all demographics on Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and New Orleans right on my desk in front of me right now. Yes, New Orleans does intermingle with cities in Texas, daily, when it comes to the economy. I do it, myself every week. My company is expanding in Texas right now, but, it just happens to be happily based in New Orleans.

You mean there actually IS a business based in New Orleans? Who knew?

Trae
Jan 3, 2007, 4:24 PM
Even if they had started rebuilding at Ground Zero in early/mid 2002, they'd just now be wrapping up on whatever building they had started considering their height. Buildings that big often take 4 to 5 years to complete and that's under normal circumstances; nevermind the fact that there will be atleast three 1,000+ foot tall buildings there when everything is said and done.

9/11 and Hurricane Katrina were two totally different disasters resulting in different outcomes. Ultimately, though, Katrina was worse and much more destructive and widespread, but because of what has to be rebuilt at Ground Zero, all the politics, public input, and emotions involved, it will take equally as long, (possibly longer), to fix as rebuilding New Orleans will.

That was what I was saying. No one has even decided what to put on the land. The area is still real devastated (this just outside of the Superdome). If building two 1,000 footers took this long, imagine building over the square miles of land that got destroyed in New Orleans.

Visiteur
Jan 3, 2007, 4:54 PM
Well, if you meet someone that hates Texas and wants to move...just send them up here to the Northeast:tup: .

Complex01
Jan 3, 2007, 5:04 PM
LA is a second tier state...Like...MO/VA/WA etc. Texas is in first tier like CA/NY/FL. On the state level TX is capable of much more than LA in terms of federal aid.

Washington State is not a second tier state by any means. Its no were on the same level of MO and VA, if anything its much better.

Trae
Jan 3, 2007, 5:57 PM
Washington State is not a second tier state by any means. Its no were on the same level of MO and VA, if anything its much better.

Yeah it is. Virginia and Washington are on the same level. I think 21bl0wed meant to say that Louisiana was on the same tier as Arkansas/Mississippi/Missouri.

TexasBoi
Jan 3, 2007, 6:50 PM
Louisiana was on the same tier as Arkansas/Mississippi/Missouri.

1, maybe even 2, of these states do not belong.

goldnola
Jan 3, 2007, 7:55 PM
"Now, that is the biggest crock of shit of it all.....Come to New Orleans and see firsthand...we're back. "

My company (Shipping and barges ) moved to Houston after Katrina. That was 35 people making 50K to 125K all lost. And I know of a lot of other examples. I was lucky and found Portland Oregon.

After living somewhere else you really begin to realize that New Orleans is NOT a good place to live. It's a good place to visit. Its like Disney World, you would like to take the kids there, but you don't want to live there.