PDA

View Full Version : Surrey will bid on 2011 Canada Summer Games

SpongeG
Dec 24, 2006, 3:34 AM
Surrey is bidding on the 2011 Western Canada Summer Games.

The city will apply to host the event in five years, bringing to this area 2,500 athletes, coaches, officials, and performers.

Next year the Games are in Strathcona County, Alta., and organizers plan to hold the event in B.C. in five years.

The economic spinoffs are substantial.

“The 2007 Western Canada Summer Games host community estimates there will be a $10 million regional economic impact,” a Surrey staff report to council Monday states.

“Significant spenders are the Host Society itself, which uses many local suppliers and personnel to stage the Games, and the thousands of spectators who travel from throughout the Western provinces and territories to follow a family member or their team.”

The report notes the city would gain significant profile.

The municipal costs of holding the event are estimated to top $1 million, while the province would contribute $1.75 million and the federal government about $3 million.

This month, the city will send a letter of intent to bid, and must submit that bid by Feb. 16, 2007.

The host municipality will be announced in May.

http://www.peacearchnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=44&cat=23&id=799596&more=

raggedy13
Dec 24, 2006, 4:16 AM
The report notes the city would gain significant profile.

Although I'm sure being host would bring some benefit to Surrey, I don't see the event being that beneficial for raising Surrey's profile. I'm not even sure if I've ever heard of the Western Canada Summer Games. That being said, I'd still be happy to see them host it. I'm pretty sure they'll win the bid. Surrey already has quite a few recreational/sports facilities and parks, the weather is pretty ideal for sports in the Summer, its part of a major metro and therefore easy to travel to by air, and unless Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg compete to host as well, it will easily be the biggest city bidding.

SpongeG
Dec 24, 2006, 4:41 AM
i was thinking i have never even heard of these games and 2011 is an odd year

tuffyy
Dec 24, 2006, 4:46 AM
The 2007 summer games will have a spin off for Edmonton as they are held just a few minutes east of the city.Surrey is sure to win if it bids on 2011...

Dalreg
Dec 24, 2006, 4:59 AM
If not mistaken Selkirk had them last in 2003. With events in Gimli, Stonewall, and Beausejour. I don't know if these games rotate, but I've heard that 2011 is BC's turn, so it is just the matter of picking the host city.

newflyer
Dec 24, 2006, 5:05 AM
If not mistaken Selkirk had them last in 2003. With events in Gimli, Stonewall, and Beausejour. I don't know if these games rotate, but I've heard that 2011 is BC's turn, so it is just the matter of picking the host city.

ahhh yes.. the Summer Games in Selkirk. Not a bad draw for the area north of the Peg. Lots of fun!!