PDA

View Full Version : No snow for Christmas?

harls
Dec 20, 2006, 8:41 PM
Certainly looks like it for Eastern Canada. In the past 5 years I've been living out here (Montreal, Ottawa), it's never been as springlike so late in December as it is now.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/snow/images/snowca.jpg

right now it's 7° and partly cloudy as I look out my second floor office window. I'm sure glad I invested in those new rims for my winter tires this year. Oh well.

What's the chance of a green Christmas where you live?

SteelTown
Dec 20, 2006, 8:46 PM
Suppose to be 9°C this Sunday at Hamilton. So chances of snow during Christmas are next to nil.

habsfan
Dec 20, 2006, 8:58 PM
bah! I'm not worried, we've had a few close calls in the last 10 years, but we always manage to get a dump of a few centimeters a few days before X-mas!

mersar
Dec 20, 2006, 9:01 PM
Friday - Sunny. Low minus 7. High plus 2. Saturday - Sunny. Low minus 5. High plus 4. Sunday - Sunny. Low minus 4. High plus 2.
I take that as not much of a chance for Calgary area either. Possibly a light dusting but nothing more if that.

circle33
Dec 20, 2006, 9:02 PM
What's the chance of a green Christmas where you live?

Zilch. We've had record amounts of snow already. That said we're quite a bit warmer than normal right now, just not snow meltin' warm.

Riise
Dec 20, 2006, 9:05 PM
Dreams of a white Christmas fade with forecasts

The probability of seeing a White Christmas in the 1960s was:
• Calgary: 73 per cent
• Charlottetown: 93 per cent
• Edmonton 100 per cent
• Toronto: 60 per cent
• Montreal: 80 per cent

But the chances have dropped across the board, and in the past decade the probabilities are:
• Calgary: 47 per cent
• Charlottetown: 67 per cent
• Edmonton: 73 per cent
• Toronto: 33 per cent
• Montreal: 67 per cent

Link to full story. (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061218/white_christmas_061218/20061218?hub=TopStories")

MolsonExport
Dec 20, 2006, 9:07 PM
Good ol' global warming. Sure, it still snows, and gets cold quite often. But those warm spells during the winter have intensified (ridiculous highs of like 12-15 C) and multiplied (every couple of weeks, it seems). And Winter comes later, and vanishes earlier. This would all be good, except it is an indicator of Global Warming, which will eventually make molehills out of all the disasters faced by humanity beforehand.

drew
Dec 20, 2006, 9:08 PM
It'll be white in Winnipeg - as per usual.

Kevin_foster
Dec 20, 2006, 9:21 PM
It was like this in Edmonton last year. I remember it being 8*C here on XMAS day!! We could have worn shorts :)

big W
Dec 20, 2006, 9:54 PM
It was like this in Edmonton last year. I remember it being 8*C here on XMAS day!! We could have worn shorts :)

I know in Feb my friend was still riding his motorcycle and I was walking around in a t shirt last winter.

caltrane74
Dec 20, 2006, 9:59 PM
Itz freaky freaky

someone123
Dec 20, 2006, 10:12 PM
It's been mostly cold here. It's colder in Halifax than it is in Whitehorse right now.

Blitz
Dec 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
6 of the past 7 Christmases have been white in Windsor but this one is looking like it'll be green, actually brown is more like it.

Kilgore Trout
Dec 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
green christmas here in montreal. it snowed barely a centimetre yesterday and now the temperature's up to 5 degrees above freezing; it's forecast to be 3 degrees on christmas day.

not that i'm complaining! since i grew up in calgary, snowless christmases are normal for me.

caltrane74
Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
the grass is slowly turning green. I predict by January it should be totally brown.

Not that itz cold here, I guess lack of rain is slowly killing our grass.

MTLskyline
Dec 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think its supposed to rain on Christmas here..

At least its better than getting -20C :yuck:

vid
Dec 20, 2006, 11:43 PM
5% in Tundra Bay. We might get a dusting of snow (>5cm) on Saturday, but I doubt it will stick. It will probably go up above zero on Sunday or Monday, clearing most of it away. We have less snow now than we did in mid-October, and no one is in the Christmas Spirit. There are much less lights up this year than last. Add that to the shorter days, and it makes for a very sad Christmas. :(

We sure are living up to our Tundra stereotype. Not so much the cold, but the dry. There are still active fires out there.

SpongeG
Dec 21, 2006, 1:18 AM
Vancouver has a 10% chance of a white christmas

I can only think of 1 that we have had in 15 years

Calgarian
Dec 21, 2006, 2:20 AM
I can't even remember the last white Christmas Calgary had.

mersar
Dec 21, 2006, 2:32 AM
2 or 3 years ago. I remember driving home from Okotoks in a blizzard with guys in big trucks speeding past me doing 110 down the #2 while I was doing 60 and barely sticking to the road.

Calgarian
Dec 21, 2006, 3:20 AM
I remember the last few years in a row i was outside in a t-shirt playing basketball on Christmas day, except for a couple years ago when i was in BC maybe that was the one you are referring to.

Taller Better
Dec 21, 2006, 5:57 AM
I'm completely o-tay sans snow. For the rest of my life, actually.

MaThQc
Dec 21, 2006, 1:55 PM
Quebec City :

23 and 24 december : rain and +3

Taller Better
Dec 21, 2006, 2:47 PM
I remember the last few years in a row i was outside in a t-shirt playing basketball on Christmas day, except for a couple years ago when i was in BC maybe that was the one you are referring to.

You might get your chance again this year... the forecast calls for a short spike peaking around Christmas Day! :tup:

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Dec 21, 2006, 2:56 PM
I'm completely o-tay sans snow. For the rest of my life, actually.

I agree, now that I live in the core and bike everywhere I go, I can do without the white stuff. Keep it north of the city!

Taller Better
Dec 21, 2006, 3:08 PM
I agree, now that I live in the core and bike everywhere I go, I can do without the white stuff. Keep it north of the city!

I'm still biking to work, and loving it. Will have to park the bike once the white stuff comes...

Got up to 8c yesterday, and forecast of 6c for today. And the nice thing is it is not fluctuating wildly at night... nights are still very mild.

Smevo
Dec 21, 2006, 5:18 PM
Fredericton, +2 and sun after 2 days of showers.
Sydney, +1 and chance of flurries after a day of rain.

Neither city has any snow on the ground right now. :(

Dalreg
Dec 21, 2006, 7:10 PM
Zilch. We've had record amounts of snow already. That said we're quite a bit warmer than normal right now, just not snow meltin' warm.

I can handle what we have now. That just below freezing and sunny will make for a good Christmas. Plus the couple of FEET of snow sitting around makes for the Perfect atmosphere.

circle33
Dec 21, 2006, 7:15 PM
/\ I have no problem with it either. Hard to take a 2 year old tobogganing on a grassy hill.

Jay in Cowtown
Dec 21, 2006, 7:49 PM

I did wear shorts last year... it was about 16 degrees in Calgary.

I always hope to hell it don't snow on or around Christmas, because if it does I have to plow snow on the Trans Canada... if it don't, I have a week off with stand-by pay!

big W
Dec 21, 2006, 9:00 PM
The snow continues to melt here in Edmonton with plus 8 right now. I think its pretty much all gone and we had record snowfalls in November.

CanadianCentaur
Dec 21, 2006, 11:29 PM
The snow can't be mostly gone in Edmonton by now!? You know there's been so much that where it's not been plowed or well-shoveled, that last I saw as of yesterday there was still at least 20 cm on the ground despite recent mild spells.

In case you tell me to go look out my window - I'm in Vancouver right now, where it's darkly overcast and pouring with rain.

vid
Dec 22, 2006, 12:30 AM
Will have to park the bike once the white stuff comes...

Rear fender, gloves, good jacket and a scarf. There, you can ride all year! Hundreds of people do here. You'd have to go a couple days without until the sidewalks got plowed but after that I can't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Our forecast was updated, we're expected to see 10cm of snow starting tomorrow evening to Saturday night, and with temperatures slightly below 0 until around the 27th, it probably won't melt. Not much of a white Christmas, but a white Christmas nonetheless. :)

Kilgore Trout
Dec 22, 2006, 2:12 AM
Hundreds of people do here

50,000 people do here!

it's very much possible... i see winter cyclists all the time and they don't seem too bad off. besides, considering that snow only seems to stick around a few days at a time these days (especially in toronto), it's only the cold that is a problem.

vid
Dec 22, 2006, 2:15 AM
you have to understand that everyone here is stupid and might not know how to ride a bike. Oh, and we're about 10 degrees colder every day. But good for Montreal. When a city is as urban and dense as yours, it is easier to ride bikes daily throughout the winter.

CMD UW
Dec 22, 2006, 6:38 AM
2 or 3 years ago. I remember driving home from Okotoks in a blizzard with guys in big trucks speeding past me doing 110 down the #2 while I was doing 60 and barely sticking to the road.
Two years ago. I was in Calgary on the 27th of December and recall driving through alot of snow and driving back to Edmonton in a blizzard. Not fun.

Taller Better
Dec 22, 2006, 7:04 AM
I know people who cycle all winter but I think they are nuts. The streets are slippery and slushy. Not for this cowboy.

someone123
Dec 22, 2006, 2:59 PM
it's very much possible... i see winter cyclists all the time and they don't seem too bad off. besides, considering that snow only seems to stick around a few days at a time these days (especially in toronto), it's only the cold that is a problem.

I wonder what the accident statistics are like for winter bike riders. They're bad enough to begin with during the rest of the year.

Taller Better
Dec 22, 2006, 3:43 PM
^^^ I cannot fathom why a cyclist would want to take his life in his hands by riding on a slippery wet/freezing sidewalk. Not only could he wipe out and wind up under a moving vehical, there is a good chance that a car might slam into him, having deminished control. What for? To save a couple of bucks on TTC or to prove something? Life is way too short for that. I will ride my bike on days when the streets are dry, but nothing else. I'd rather walk.

Dalreg
Dec 22, 2006, 6:50 PM
^^^ I cannot fathom why a cyclist would want to take his life in his hands by riding on a slippery wet/freezing sidewalk. Not only could he wipe out and wind up under a moving vehical, there is a good chance that a car might slam into him, having deminished control. What for? To save a couple of bucks on TTC or to prove something? Life is way too short for that. I will ride my bike on days when the streets are dry, but nothing else. I'd rather walk.

To be honest if you have any notion of what you are doing riding a bike in winter is no worse than in summer. I did it for a few winters going to school and didn't have one bit of trouble.

big W
Dec 22, 2006, 6:54 PM
The snow can't be mostly gone in Edmonton by now!? You know there's been so much that where it's not been plowed or well-shoveled, that last I saw as of yesterday there was still at least 20 cm on the ground despite recent mild spells.

In case you tell me to go look out my window - I'm in Vancouver right now, where it's darkly overcast and pouring with rain.

I cant comment on outer areas, but for downtown and Oliver I dont see much anymore.

Taller Better
Dec 22, 2006, 7:59 PM
To be honest if you have any notion of what you are doing riding a bike in winter is no worse than in summer. I did it for a few winters going to school and didn't have one bit of trouble.

Well, I do have some teensy, weensy notion of riding a bicycle, but I still have trainer wheels on the back! :)

IntotheWest
Dec 22, 2006, 9:11 PM
For EC's definition of "white christmas" (2cm on ground at 7am), Calgary has barely had a white one 4 out of the last 10 years (of course, measured at the airport):

2005 14.7c 0 on grnd
2004 4.6c 0 on grnd
2003 4.4c trace on grnd
2002 7.2c 0 on grnd
2001 4.3c 3cm on grnd
2000 -1.7c 2cm on grnd
1999 11.2c 0 on grnd
1998 -11.2c 3cm on grnd
1997 3.5c trace on grnd
1996 -18.5c 19cm on grnd

But, just as surprising - and I doubt will make the news until its "official" in a couple years, but Jan daily high temperatures on the prairies have increased by up to 5 degrees in the last 30 years (based on the 30 year rolling period recalculated every 10 years).

For example, Calgary will have gone from an "average" high of -5.9c in 1980, to -3.6c in 1990, to -2.7c now...and heading for -1.3c in 2010 (assuming "average" of -2.7c for years 2007-2010 right now).

Lobstick
Dec 23, 2006, 3:45 AM
I'm quite sure that we will all die soon. :shrug:

And by that I mean, people are over reacting...

Note the year.... 1974:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914-1,00.html

Present day=lots of ice:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SNOW/

So it's been a warm decade, big deal:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/All_palaeotemps.png

Taller Better
Dec 23, 2006, 7:28 AM
"For EC's definition of "white christmas" (2cm on ground at 7am), Calgary has barely had a white one 4 out of the last 10 years (of course, measured at the airport)"

The last ten years have been warmer in all cities in Canada. I find the long term statistics to be more accurate. Toronto is 50-50 for white Christmas' over the history of record keeping.

CharlesMunroe
Dec 23, 2006, 7:00 PM
http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/warnings/SWS_bulletins_e.html?prov=on

"ON BOXING DAY..IT APPEARS THAT SUFFICIENT COLD
AIR WILL BE TAPPED THAT THE RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW.

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THIS STORM MAY BECOME SIGNIFICANT ENOUGH
TO PRODUCE A MAJOR SNOW STORM FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN
ONTARIO COMPLETE WITH THE USUAL SUITE OF HEAVY SNOW..STRONG WINDS
AND DRIFTING SNOW."

:banana:

vid
Dec 23, 2006, 7:40 PM
Well, our 10cm of snow turned into 2cm of sleet! Which has melted with our 2° high! Looks like another brown Christmas for us. :( Hard to believe Christmas is in 2 days.

IntotheWest
Dec 24, 2006, 4:46 AM
"For EC's definition of "white christmas" (2cm on ground at 7am), Calgary has barely had a white one 4 out of the last 10 years (of course, measured at the airport)"

The last ten years have been warmer in all cities in Canada. I find the long term statistics to be more accurate. Toronto is 50-50 for white Christmas' over the history of record keeping.

Yes, EC uses a 30 year period for trends...I was just simply showing how it's been over the past 10 years...that's it.

It is definitely warming across Canada (and the US), but no where in southern Canada will feel the extra degrees more than the prairies. This mostly has to do with the seemingly weakening affects of the polar vortex, and the pacific jetstreams reaching further east.

boden
Dec 24, 2006, 5:38 AM
The only snow in Belleville remains in small piles where it was plowed at the parking lots. It has been so warm lately I'm amazed they haven't fully melted.

asher11
Dec 24, 2006, 5:14 PM
Brown & green here - I just hope the sun shines tomorrow if it ain't going to snow. That'll at least be better than a grey and overcast Christmas Day.

Actually, with the sun so low in the sky, the sun shines in the east, south and west facing windows all day long and reflects across the floors into all the rooms throughout the house - which makes it nice and bright (till it gets dark just before 5PM).

vid
Dec 24, 2006, 5:34 PM
The snow is all gone now. :( But it's back below zero. Only 5 degrees above normal today. :(

Taller Better
Dec 24, 2006, 5:48 PM
6c and sunny today- no chance of a white Christmas this year.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6656/dec2406qd9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AlbertaBeef
Dec 24, 2006, 6:19 PM
Definately a white Christmas here, I can't remember when I last saw grass.

SpongeG
Dec 24, 2006, 8:28 PM
the weather channel is nothing but a RED warning here

the windstorm has started - it was expected - the island is being blasted right now - they said that parts of the island are already getting hurricane 2 force winds

it should hit vancouver anytime today

Tone
Dec 25, 2006, 7:18 PM
Mery Christmas to everybody!!!!!!

dubiousmike
Dec 25, 2006, 8:30 PM
Calgary must be one of the only cities where you can say "I'm going to bundle up and go work on my tan."

harls
Dec 25, 2006, 9:22 PM
we lose.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/333109863_bf40e17557_o.jpg

it's supposed to start snowing tonight. 10-15cm... one day too late.

zerokarma
Dec 26, 2006, 4:12 AM
Merry Christmas!

No Snow here either, just some rain this evening.

1ajs
Dec 26, 2006, 5:20 AM
well then move to winterpeg if you want a white christmas thats all there is to it

circle33
Dec 26, 2006, 5:20 PM
We need some new snow here. The yellow parts are starting to overtake the white parts.

MaThQc
Dec 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
well, Quebec City is now getting 20 cm of snow after a green christmas for his first time of histoire.

harls
Dec 26, 2006, 10:18 PM
well, Quebec City is now getting 20 cm of snow after a green christmas for his first time of histoire.

y aura-t-il de la neige pour le 1er janvier? moi j'y vais ce weekend..(famille là-bas)!

awesome.

WHY-T
Dec 27, 2006, 12:05 AM
Snow finally came to Montreal on Boxing Day. Though not much accumulation, like just a few centimeters of wet slush. Anything on the streets were pretty much melted by afternoon, just some on the grass and roofs. It's hanging around the freezing mark here, so the snow/rain will continue for tomorrow.

harls
Dec 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
^ it probably looks like this shit...

http://images.orfay.com/i/photos1/2006/12/26/13/4/7/f/47f720cbe98b025d9943d0f4c12d24070_large.jpg

I can still see lawn. No Deal.

SpongeG
Dec 27, 2006, 1:14 AM
it was so warm last night here in vancouver

Taller Better
Dec 27, 2006, 1:26 AM
We managed to dodge it today with a high of 4c, but tomorrow may see flurries as it will be closer to normal temps. Tomorrow's predicted high is 1c which is about a degree milder than normal. Would be kind of nice to see some snow. Not many Boxing Days in Toronto will you find brave little snapdragons still alive:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2695/dec2606boxingdaysnapdraeg8.jpg

or the very occasional rosebud still shivering:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/203/dec2606boxingdayrosebudnr1.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4690/dec2606boxingdayrosebudzj8.jpg

SpongeG
Dec 27, 2006, 6:24 AM
haha poor flowers

MaThQc
Dec 27, 2006, 2:50 PM
y aura-t-il de la neige pour le 1er janvier? moi j'y vais ce weekend..(famille là-bas)!

awesome.

Oui supposé...

IntotheWest
Dec 27, 2006, 6:38 PM
We managed to dodge it today with a high of 4c, but tomorrow may see flurries as it will be closer to normal temps. Tomorrow's predicted high is 1c which is about a degree milder than normal. Would be kind of nice to see some snow. Not many Boxing Days in Toronto will you find brave little snapdragons still alive:

Wow, eh? Though, that rose bud is looking like it won't open...not bad for Boxing day though!

boden
Dec 27, 2006, 9:19 PM
We got some white stuff on Boxing Day...and a little more this morning. At least it is looking and feeling a bit more seasonable here in Bellevegas.

Taller Better
Dec 27, 2006, 9:48 PM
Wow, eh? Though, that rose bud is looking like it won't open...not bad for Boxing day though!

Would you open if it were close to 0c? That baby is destined for doom pretty soon! LOL! I'll be surprised if it sees the end of 2006.

SpongeG
Dec 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
weather people say this winter will be one of the worst - so prepare for january - march to be snowy and cold

they said the NE of the US will be hit hard this winter

it was on an american channel so no talk of what canada will get

crazyjoeda
Dec 27, 2006, 11:12 PM
Vancouver has a 10% chance of a white christmas

I can only think of 1 that we have had in 15 years

We have had snow on the ground at least twice in the last 15 years.
This year we did not.

SpongeG
Dec 27, 2006, 11:49 PM
i don't remember that long ago anyway

dubai 1
Dec 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
to me there's no better answer then Global Warming