View Full Version : South Shore Rail Line: Improvement Plans

Halovet
Dec 20, 2006, 7:36 PM
December 18, 2006

South Shore rolls through busy year
Rail line operator plans to improve service

By JOSHUA STOWE
Tribune Staff Writer
Passengers emerge from a South Shore train at South Bend Regional Airport. So far, some 4 million riders have used the South Shore this year, the most since 1957.
Tribune Photos/JOE KLINE
http://www2.southbendtribune.com/stories/2006/12/18/c_southshore121406b.jpeghttp://images.wndu.com/news/pics/pic_38565.jpg

SOUTH BEND -- As it nears the end of its busiest year in almost half a century, the South Shore Line is pursuing projects aimed at attracting more riders and cementing its standing as a popular way to travel.

The publicly owned railway is seeking improvements at a time when experts forecast an increasing demand for its services, as economic and population trends push consumers to seek more travel options.

As of this past week, some 4 million people had ridden the South Shore this year, the most since 1957, when 4.2 million people rode the line all year.

"We were surprised we hit it, that we reached that milestone," said John Parsons, a spokesman for the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District, the entity that owns and operates the South Shore.

The news comes as the South Shore takes steps to accommodate more passengers and to offer them a faster trip, Parsons said.

Projects planned

In January, the South Shore expects to buy 14 double-decker cars to meet growing passenger demand, Parsons said.

The $50.6 million project will give the South Shore a total of 82 cars, he said, and the double-decker cars will hold 30 percent more passengers than the traditional cars.

Once the South Shore has finalized the deal, it will take 18 to 24 months before the new cars are in service, Parsons said.

Although he doesn't expect any of the double-decker cars to serve the station at South Bend Regional Airport, Parsons said the move will free up additional cars for South Bend.

Meanwhile, the South Shore is moving forward with one relocation project in South Bend and studying another such project in Michigan City.

The South Bend project would mean modifying the route so that trains come into the airport from the west, rather than the east. The Michigan City project would entail moving the route south of its current location.

Together, the moves could shave a half hour off trips between South Bend and Chicago, officials say.

Officials could reach an agreement by January to have a feasibility study on the Michigan City project, Parsons said. In South Bend, the airport has begun acquiring land for the relocation, according to John Schalliol, the airport's executive director. It needs a total of 15 parcels, he said.

Meanwhile, the airport has submitted the draft of a mandatory environmental assessment of the relocation to the Federal Aviation Administration and

year expects to have FAA approval in early January, Schalliol said.

Parsons said other South Shore projects include in the works include:

The $4 million Kensington bypass project in Chicago that will allow South Shore trains to skirt a busy "chokepoint" section of track they currently share with Metra trains.

An attempt to provide wi-fi access to South Shore riders who pay for the service. The project is still in the testing stages, Parsons said, adding that the company that hopes to offer the service would pay to implement it.

A South Shore train pulls into the station at South Bend Regional Airport.

In addition, the South Shore has finished a $5.3 million project to provide high-level platforms at its busy Hegewisch station in Chicago in an effort to help passengers board more quickly.

Funding a challenge

The South Shore will continue to rely on help from the Indiana Department of Transportation and the state's general assembly as it seeks money for future projects, Parsons said.

It will work with state and federal lawmakers as it tries to meet the challenge of paying for such undertakings as the relocation efforts, he said.

Parsons said the Michigan City relocation will be far costlier than the South Bend one, which Schalliol estimated would cost some $7 million.

"That's going to be a real challenge ... these projects require a lot of funding," Parsons said. "It's our responsibility to make sure we have a plan laid out, to present an effective argument for funding, and number two, to be in a position to take advantage of the funding."

Schalliol said the airport will seek federal earmarks and Major Moves money for its line relocation project. It recently hired a lobbyist to work with the state legislature in the coming session.

Once the airport has received FAA approval for its environmental assessment, Schalliol said, "I'm going to go looking for money."

Experts see demand

Meanwhile, gasoline prices will lead more consumers to such public transportation options as the South Shore, said Jim Ostroff, an energy expert with Kiplinger Washington Editors in Washington, D.C.

"Gasoline prices are not going to go and tank ... they're going to be reasonably high and subject to spiking up in the summer," he said.

When drivers see price spikes of 25 to 50 cents a gallon -- and Ostroff expects they will again -- the scare will lead some of them to seek alternatives, he said.

"That really shocks and unnerves people and causes them not only to look at their shopping habits," he said, "but also to say, let me think about public transportation again."

Joe Schwieterman, a transportation expert at DePaul University in Chicago, said other factors will also drive more passengers to the South Shore.

In the short term, the Dan Ryan Expressway project will push more congestion-wary drivers to the railway, he said.

In addition, suburban growth in northwest Indiana is creating a stronger commuter market, and the popularity of downtown Chicago will continue to draw more riders as well, Schwieterman said.

"The South Shore Line is one of the great bright spots in a mixed transit picture for metropolitan Chicago," he said. "The growth of ridership, despite the obvious problems in the speed of service, illustrates its enormous potential ...I think there's still a lot of potential for ridership growth."

In particular, projects that trim travel time make the South Shore a more attractive option for people who might otherwise drive between South Bend and Chicago in an effort to save time, he said.

That's why the South Shore's improvement projects will be crucial in the coming years, NICTD's Parsons said.

"We're certainly going to have to continue to make those kinds of long-term investments," he said.

Staff writer Joshua Stowe:

jstowe@sbtinfo.com

(574) 235-6359

South Shore information
For South Shore schedules, fares, and other information, go to www.nictd.com, or call (800) 356-2079.

Contact the southbendtribune.com Web staff.
News coverage and editorial content provided by
the South Bend Tribune unless otherwise specified.
Copyright © 1994-2005 South Bend Tribune

BnaBreaker
Dec 20, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hooray!! Now it will only take 12 hours to get to Chicago by train!

liat91
Dec 20, 2006, 10:12 PM
Aren't they planning for extensions to Valparaiso and Lowell?

OhioGuy
Dec 21, 2006, 4:49 AM
Shaving a half hour off the travel time between downtown Chicago and South Bend would be great! Hope this works out more quickly than expected.

Halovet
Dec 21, 2006, 10:30 AM
Aren't they planning for extensions to Valparaiso and Lowell?Rumor has it we should here something within the coming year on Valpo. I'd like to see some kind of link to Fort Wayne, but that's probably a dream. I can't believe there's no straight shot to FTW, and it's only 70 miles away.:shrug:

Halovet
Jan 19, 2007, 9:01 AM
From South Bend Tribune
January 9, 2007

6:59AM

Party train

OUR OPINION

Are we the only ones who were surprised to learn that consumption of alcohol is permitted on the South Shore commuter train?

The fact that drinking en route generally is allowed is just asking for trouble, it seems to us. Alcohol beverages aren't sold on the trains, but passengers may carry on their own. Sometimes the South Shore turns into one big rolling BYOB party.

Rail officials have expressed concern -- both about the problems on the trains and inebriated passengers driving their automobiles after they reach their destination station.

It isn't that South Shore personnel don't realize there's a problem. That's why they've banned drinking on the trains on traditional party days -- during Taste of Chicago, St. Patrick's Day and New Year's Eve.

They've also assumed a share of responsibility. They try to intercept drunken passengers before they stumble to train station parking lots and drive away, risking their own lives and those of others. Dealing with drunken passengers is especially challenging after night Cubs games, according to the police chief for the South Shore line.

In spite of these concerns, on-board drinking continues to be permitted. The chief didn't mention in a recent news story the effect on the comfort of non-partying passengers, but we can imagine that could be a problem, too.

Even on commercial airliners where alcohol may be consumed, passengers are not allowed to bring their own bottles. Requiring them to purchase drinks from flight attendants gives flight crews some control over consumption and its consequences.

At the risk of sounding like fuddy-duddies, which the South Shore management clearly does not want to be, it makes sense to ban open alcoholic beverages on trains every day, not just on party-hearty holidays. It's a safety and passenger well-being issue.

Controlling the behavior of passengers who already are drunk when they board a train still would be a problem. But at least South Shore policies wouldn't be contributing to it.

Halovet
Jan 19, 2007, 9:10 AM
Who gives a Ratz Ass? I don't see a problem. I hardly ever drink, still, whenever I take "The Shore", I have someone pick me up. In fact, I have NEVER seen anyone drive away from the South Bend Station, not saying it's never happened. Point is, as long as someone is grown, and makes the right arrangments, they should be able to drink.

I'm willing to bet that's one good reason ridership is way up these days. This is just another attempt of a special interest group to force a religious right wing view on everybody.:yes:

Robert Pence
Jan 19, 2007, 1:33 PM
Rumor has it we should here something within the coming year on Valpo. I'd like to see some kind of link to Fort Wayne, but that's probably a dream. I can't believe there's no straight shot to FTW, and it's only 70 miles away.:shrug:

Actually, from my house near downtown Fort Wayne to the South Bend airport is right at 100 miles; staying within the speed limits it takes two hours to drive it taking US 30 to US 31. I'd love to have a direct connection, even a bus, or a direct rail connection to Chicago if it ran according to some kind of reliable schedule.

Most of my rides on the South Shore are weekday business hours or midday off-peak, with occasional weekend trips, so I've only seen obnoxious drunks a couple of times. I wasn't even aware until recently that passengers could carry alcohol and drink on the trains.

jpIllInoIs
Jan 19, 2007, 2:03 PM
Rumor has it we should here something within the coming year on Valpo. I'd like to see some kind of link to Fort Wayne, but that's probably a dream. I can't believe there's no straight shot to FTW, and it's only 70 miles away.:shrug:

Fort Wayne is a fast growing metro that could really use some passenger rail connections. That city and the State are going to have to lobby hard for consideration. Rockford, Il is much further along in this process and they are still a few years away from resuming Amtrak service. It takes a concerted effort by US senators, US Reps the Govenor and all the local reps and business community.

A Chicago-Merrillville-Valpo-Plymouth-Ft.Wayne-Lima,OH-Columbus,OH Amtrak line would be great!

BnaBreaker
Jan 19, 2007, 5:10 PM
Actually, from my house near downtown Fort Wayne to the South Bend airport is right at 100 miles; staying within the speed limits it takes to two hours to drive it taking US 30 to US 31. I'd love to have a direct connection, even a bus, or a direct rail connection to Chicago if it ran according to some kind of reliable schedule.

Most of my rides on the South Shore are weekday business hours or midday off-peak, with occasional weekend trips, so I've only seen obnoxious drunks a couple of times. I wasn't even aware until recently that passengers could carry alcohol and drink on the trains.

And if not that, there are usually taxis sitting at the airport.

Steely Dan
Jan 19, 2007, 5:39 PM
that would be a shame if they ban booze on the south shore, because that would just be one step closer to the banning of booze on metra as well, and it's a pure joy to sip on a beer while cruising the rails. they won't let us drink in automobiles anymore, so trains are one of the last places left to drink and go fast, at least on the ground.

Halovet
Jan 19, 2007, 8:53 PM
that would be a shame if they ban booze on the south shore, because that would just be one step closer to the banning of booze on metra as well, and it's a pure joy to sip on a beer while cruising the rails. they won't let us drink in automobiles anymore, so trains are one of the last places left to drink and go fast, at least on the ground.
Then, they will want to ban it on Airlines as well. What a crock of bull. Smoking I can see, but 90% (maybe more) of the drinking riders conduct themselves appropriately . I'm tellin you, if they ban it, they won't come.

rob_1412, don't forget The SB Airport is all the way across the city, on the NE city limits. From SB's Southern City limits to The FTW Eastern city line is 70 miles, even though it's farther from your house to the Airport.

Even with an added 30 miles though, the ride would sure go a lot smoother and quicker with a few drinks to take of the edge.:cheers: :drunk: :tongue4:

Robert Pence
Jan 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
... on the NE city limits ...
Even with an added 30 miles though, the ride would sure go a lot smoother and quicker with a few drinks to take of the edge.:cheers: :drunk: :tongue4:

NW city limits?

I'd rather be able to read or nap than drink during the ride. I usually try to nap on the way back to South Bend from Chicago. I'd like it if they'd ban ceaseless trivial cell-phone yapping.

And then there's this one motormouth female who seems to be in the same coach with me almost every time I ride. I should take her photo and study it so I'd learn to recognize her when she boards and move to a different car. She starts to yap before the train pulls out of Van Buren, at whoever has the misfortune to sit next to her, and doesn't stop. Apparently she has the ability to continue to talk while breathing, because she doesn't even stop blabbing long enough to take a breath. Maybe she's an android talking machine. :rolleyes:

Overall, though, I think NICTD does a good job; anyone who claims that public agencies can't do anything right should have his nose rubbed in it. The trains are clean, the equipment is in good condition, the employees are courteous and usually friendly, and the trains run pretty much on time. Can't beat the cost, either; as an old fart I pay just over $5 for a round trip between South Bend and Chicago.

Halovet
Jan 20, 2007, 1:06 AM
NW city limits?

I'd rather be able to read or nap than drink during the ride. I usually try to nap on the way back to South Bend from Chicago. I'd like it if they'd ban ceaseless trivial cell-phone yapping.

And then there's this one motormouth female who seems to be in the same coach with me almost every time I ride. I should take her photo and study it so I'd learn to recognize her when she boards and move to a different car. She starts to yap before the train pulls out of Van Buren, at whoever has the misfortune to sit next to her, and doesn't stop. Apparently she has the ability to continue to talk while breathing, because she doesn't even stop blabbing long enough to take a breath. Maybe she's an android talking machine. :rolleyes:

Overall, though, I think NICTD does a good job; anyone who claims that public agencies can't do anything right should have his nose rubbed in it. The trains are clean, the equipment is in good condition, the employees are courteous and usually friendly, and the trains run pretty much on time. Can't beat the cost, either; as an old fart I pay just over $5 for a round trip between South Bend and Chicago.Well you got to be older than me (I'm 52). As for "Ms. YapaLot", maybe she's drunk out of her mind before she even boards the dam train.:drunk: :lmao:

ajfroggie
Jan 20, 2007, 2:24 AM
I'm somewhat surprised that there's a regional line from Chicago going as far as South Bend...seems a bit of distance there.

As for Fort Wayne, IIRC the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative (MWRRI) is recommending that the high-speed line that will connect Chicago and Cleveland pass through Fort Wayne. Makes sense...if we're going to have 110 MPH trains, have them connect the major cities that aren't too far off the beaten path. In this case, Chicago-South Bend-Fort Wayne-Toledo-Cleveland.

BnaBreaker
Jan 20, 2007, 3:28 AM
I'm somewhat surprised that there's a regional line from Chicago going as far as South Bend...seems a bit of distance there.

Well it wasn't built yesterday. It's simply a small piece of the massive inter-urban rail network that once criss-crossed the entire eastern half of the country. The trains area always packed too. Besides, it's only about 90 miles.

Halovet
Jan 20, 2007, 7:12 AM

As for Fort Wayne, IIRC the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative (MWRRI) is recommending that the high-speed line that will connect Chicago and Cleveland pass through Fort Wayne. Makes sense...if we're going to have 110 MPH trains, have them connect the major cities that aren't too far off the beaten path. In this case, Chicago-South Bend-Fort Wayne-Toledo-Cleveland.Frog Man, Your mission is to get onto that MWRRI, and expidite this recommendation to a sucessful conclusion. Should you for any reason fail in your mission, you must through yourself in front of the South Shore (but get drunk first :notacrook: ).

Sorry, just watched MI-3. Seriously, I'd love to see that happen.

Robert Pence
Jan 20, 2007, 1:52 PM
Well you got to be older than me (I'm 52). As for "Ms. YapaLot", maybe she's drunk out of her mind before she even boards the dam train.:drunk: :lmao:

'bout fifteen years older.

Ms. Yapalot is a commuter, I think. She's just a motormouth.

There were two of those in the office where I once worked; they could yap for 20 minutes without pausing to breathe, and do it in full duplex, both talking simultaneously while carrying on a conversation. Usually I would just get up and go out into the factory when it got to me, but occasionally I'd have to ask them to stop.

A lounge car would be nice; the drunks and yappers could hang out there and give the rest of the passengers some peace. Not likely to happen, though; the trains already are running at capacity, and an amenity that didn't at least pay for itself by generating revenue or attracting more riders wouldn't be workable.

Halovet
Jan 20, 2007, 8:06 PM
'bout fifteen years older.

Ms. Yapalot is a commuter, I think. She's just a motormouth.

There were two of those in the office where I once worked; they could yap for 20 minutes without pausing to breathe, and do it in full duplex, both talking simultaneously while carrying on a conversation. Usually I would just get up and go out into the factory when it got to me, but occasionally I'd have to ask them to stop.

A lounge car would be nice; the drunks and yappers could hang out there and give the rest of the passengers some peace. Not likely to happen, though; the trains already are running at capacity, and an amenity that didn't at least pay for itself by generating revenue or attracting more riders wouldn't be workable. Think I'd be getting a Walkman with some dam good headphones.

Halovet
Jan 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
With all the talk of the South Shore these days, I figured we might add some history.

Here is some info for reference, followed by pictures. Sorry if they take a while to load, but I think, it's worth it!

Chicago, Illinois / South Bend, Indiana:
The South Shore Line

History and Description:

The South Shore Line, sometimes called "America's last electric interurban railroad," was originally built in 1908 as the Chicago, Lake Shore & South Bend Railroad. In 1925 it became part of Samuel Insull's transportation and utilities empire and was renamed the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend Railroad. After Insull's empire collapsed during the Great Depression, the CSS&SB outlasted the other interurbans with the help of significant freight revenues, and survived into the era of government subsidies. The portion of the line in Indiana is now owned by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District, which operates passenger service and grants a franchise for freight traffic to the Chicago SouthShore and South Bend Railroad (note no space in SouthShore!). All freight service is now hauled by diesel locomotives.

The South Shore does not use its own tracks into downtown Chicago. Instead, it shares the tracks of the Metra Electric (formerly Illinois Central) commuter rail lines between Kensington (115th Street) and the terminal at Randolph Street in downtown Chicago. Originally, the South Shore used 6600-volt alternating current power, and the Illinois Central lines were steam powered. There were some through coaches, but most passengers had to change trains at Kensington. After Insull took over the Illinois Central and the South Shore, he converted both lines to 1500-volt direct current power. Since 1926 the South Shore has run through to Randolph Street.

From its beginnings as the CLS&SB, the line was built to high standards. Most of it is on private right of way, with few sharp curves and little in-street operation mixed with automobile traffic. Peak speeds are now in the 65 to 70 mph range, and trains take 2 hours and 20 minutes to cover the 90 miles between Chicago and South Bend. During the Insull era, some trains managed to make the trip in just under two hours!

There were once three sections of in-street operation, in East Chicago (Indiana), Michigan City and South Bend. The East Chicago section was eliminated by a new route alongside the Indiana Toll Road in 1956, and the South Bend section was eliminated when the eastern end of the line was cut back to the outskirts of the city in 1970.

Between Gary and Chicago especially, the South Shore now feels like a suburban commuter railroad. But in Michigan City, trains still run down the middle of 10th and 11th Streets, and passengers still board electric interurban trains streetcar-style, the only place in the U.S. where this is still done. The eastern section of the line running from Michigan City to South Bend still has much of the flavor of the old rural Midwestern interurbans: a single-track line through meadows and cornfields.

From 1970 until 1992, the eastern end of the line was in the outskirts of South Bend, at a shabby concrete-block station shared with Amtrak, which uses a parallel freight line through South Bend. In 1992, the line was rerouted over a former industrial freight spur and some new trackage to the South Bend Regional Airport. The South Shore station is attached to the end of the airport terminal building, and part of the airport parking lot is set aside for railroad passengers.

A map of the South Shore Line (to scale)
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/Map.gif

System Map: Located at Hudson Lake

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/SystemMap.jpg

This view shows the South Shore terminal attached to the end of the airport terminal building, with a train waiting to leave. The platform is slightly longer than two cars, so the front car of this three-car train extends beyond the station.
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/AirportExterior.jpg
Passengers alight from a train arriving at the airport in the evening.
[img]http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/AirportNight.jpg
Bendix Drive, south Bend, after leaving SB Airport
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/Bendix1.jpg
Eastbound, New Carlisle, IN
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/OliveRunby.jpg

Hudson Lake is a flag stop, so passengers must signal to the engineer by activating a strobe light in order for the train to stop.
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/FlagStop.jpg
Michigan City
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/11thStreet.jpg
Inside Car
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/CarInterior.jpg
The elevated station at Gary was built in 1984, replacing a street-level station at the foot of Broadway. It is part of the Gary Metro Center, which also serves local and long-distance buses. Here we see a six-car eastbound train pulling out in late afternoon.
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/Gary.jpg
Van Buran st. Chicago
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/VanBuren.jpg
The cars that ran from the 1920s into the 1980s now survive only in museums, such as this one at the Fox Valley Trolley Museum in South Elgin, Illinois.

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/OldCar.jpg

In the dark days of the late 1970s, when the line came close to abandonment, and the old cars were kept running only with heroic efforts, they received this appropriate logo.
http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/images/Chicago/SouthShore/LittleTrain.jpg

Halovet
Jan 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
From the looks of that last photo, you can tell the line's come a long way over the years. Now if they con get some service to FTW and Valpo, things will really be happening!

Robert Pence
Jan 21, 2007, 5:50 AM
Filthy "vomit comet" cars at shabby Randolph Street around 1980
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/03_randolph_1980.jpg

Platform view at night around 1991. I always loved this view, no matter how nasty the weather
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/04_randolph_1991.jpg

Randolph Street boarding area pre-Millennium Park
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/07_randolph_1998.jpg

11th & Franklin, Michigan City 1991
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/17_michcity_1991.jpg

Crappy Bendix Station, South Bend pre-airport station. This place was filthier inside than out; the restroom was completely slathered with tags utterly disgusting - for emergencies only.
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/26_bendix.jpg

http://robertpence.com/south_shore/27_bendix.jpg

South Bend Airport station
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/78_south_bend_airpt.jpg

Randolph/Millennium Park Station platforms
http://robertpence.com/chicago_10-05-04/76_chicago_10-05-04.jpg

Millennium Park Station still under construction
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/20041207_chicago_058.jpg

http://robertpence.com/south_shore/20041207_chicago_060.jpg

http://robertpence.com/south_shore/20041207_chicago_061.jpg

brian_b
Jan 21, 2007, 4:21 PM
While improvements to the line will eventually cause Michigan City to lose the in-street tracks and move south, I will miss it.

If you are on a budget, the outlet shopping in Michigan City is nice, and an easy walk from the 11th street stop.

It's sort of interesting. Spent too much money on Michigan Ave? Hop on the train and make up for it at Lighthouse Place.

Halovet
Jan 21, 2007, 7:23 PM
While improvements to the line will eventually cause Michigan City to lose the in-street tracks and move south, I will miss it.

If you are on a budget, the outlet shopping in Michigan City is nice, and an easy walk from the 11th street stop.

It's sort of interesting. Spent too much money on Michigan Ave? Hop on the train and make up for it at Lighthouse Place.The 11th Street stop
might just survive for just that reason. People would miss it, and it's one of those things that gives the South Shore an identity other lines don't have. When I first came to South Bend in 1970, I was fascinated at this train cutting right through the middle of town, right in the middle of the street and everything. It was quite unique. That should not change for MC also. There should be a way to improve things without losing the traditional things that made the South Shore what it is.:shrug:

Robert Pence
Jan 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
A free shuttle to Lighthouse Place meets some South Shore trains at 11th & Franklin. I'm not sure if it's a regular thing, or just at peak shopping season, but even (especially) if the station were further away, I expect they'd continue the practice.

I love the street running, too. The emphasis now, I think, is on cutting time out of the schedule, and the trains could run quite a lot faster on private ROW.

In the past few years they've eliminated quite a few stops; I remember trains stopping at New Carlisle and even La Lumiere, a three-sided wood shelter beside the track at a road crossing in a cornfield. I've seen old timetables that show Lydick.

The move from Bendix to the Airport added 10-15 minutes to the Chicago-South Bend trip because of a circuitous route cluttered with street crossings. It cost a bundle, but was worth it for the improvement in facilities and location. I just wonder how much they could have saved in capital and operations if they had done it right in the first place instead of waiting until now to fix it.

When I read about under-two-hour times between the Lasalle Hotel and Chicago, with street running in South Bend, Michigan City and East Chicago, it kind of gives me a chill. They must have made some real speed in the open country, and I'll bet it was spectacular to watch those big Insull-era orange cars flying across the farmland west of South Bend after a heavy snow.

Even with those speeds, though, I think the South Shore rarely had serious accidents back in the day. The worst one I know of occurred in the current era, early 1990s, in Gary in a near head-on collision where the gauntlet track separated near a narrow bridge; I think ten people died in that one. They've since added a second bridge to eliminate the gauntlet track, added lots of double track west of Dune Park, and upgraded the signaling system to reflect current operations.

Things like this can be bad for business:
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/20_shops_1991.jpg

Halovet
Jan 22, 2007, 6:12 AM
Indeed, an accident like that could be bad for business, and I thought business would take a big hit after that, but obviously, they rebounded nicely. I cant wait for those 14 double-decker cars.

Seeing that pic also raises another question. The threat of terrorism. What added measures have been added post 9-11?

brian_b
Jan 22, 2007, 6:11 PM
I wonder if the ROW west of Michigan City is wide enough to allow double track the entire way. If they moved the Michigan City section to a private ROW that was double track, they should simply extend the double track all the way to South Bend. That would open up so much room for schedule expansion.

I still have family in NW Indiana and sometimes I take the train out to meet them and then ride the train back with them. Unfortunately, the farthest east where the schedules line up for a low turnaround time is the Gary Metro Center; though sometimes Miller matches up. If you go to Ogden Dunes or beyond, you can have a 1.5-2 hour wait before a return train shows up.

The only time it really works well is when a Chicago-bound train starts at Gary.

Robert Pence
Jan 22, 2007, 8:29 PM
Seeing that pic also raises another question. The threat of terrorism. What added measures have been added post 9-11?
I don't know how much extra security goes on behind the scenes, but from time to time there will be uniformed police with dogs (sniffers, maybe?) at Randolph/Millennium during rush hour, and there's a card in the timetable racks advising passengers to be aware of "suspicious activity" and report it. I wonder how many reports they get about the old guy with the camera who's always hanging around in out-of-the-way spots.:D

I wonder if the ROW west of Michigan City is wide enough to allow double track the entire way. If they moved the Michigan City section to a private ROW that was double track, they should simply extend the double track all the way to South Bend. That would open up so much room for schedule expansion.

I still have family in NW Indiana and sometimes I take the train out to meet them and then ride the train back with them. Unfortunately, the farthest east where the schedules line up for a low turnaround time is the Gary Metro Center; though sometimes Miller matches up. If you go to Ogden Dunes or beyond, you can have a 1.5-2 hour wait before a return train shows up.

Brian, I think they could accomodate quite an increase in South Bend ridership before they would encounter capacity problems on the single-track ROW at the west end of the line. Except when there are school charters, etc., two cars are more than adequate to handle the load even on weekends, and if they were to put in four-quadrant gates and tune up the track a bit, they could kick up the speeds to 80mph or so.

Combine that with a new, more direct access to the South Bend airport, and they probably could cut the 45-minute South Bend-to-Carroll Avenue running time to well under half an hour. That would allow them to run hourly service without double track or passing sidings, and they could easily double the train lengths without any capital expenditures. I wouldn't be surprised if they provide longer platforms as part of the reroute to the airport.

Incidentally, the turnaround times at South Bend on weekends and holidays are only about 20 minutes, just about enough time to get a cup of coffee in the terminal and get back on board.. That may be too far east for you, though.

Halovet
Jan 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
I don't know how much extra security goes on behind the scenes, but from time to time there will be uniformed police with dogs (sniffers, maybe?) at Randolph/Millennium during rush hour, and there's a card in the timetable racks advising passengers to be aware of "suspicious activity" and report it. I wonder how many reports they get about the old guy with the camera who's always hanging around in out-of-the-way spots.:D

Brian, I think they could accomodate quite an increase in South Bend ridership before they would encounter capacity problems on the single-track ROW at the west end of the line. Except when there are school charters, etc., two cars are more than adequate to handle the load even on weekends, and if they were to put in four-quadrant gates and tune up the track a bit, they could kick up the speeds to 80mph or so.

Combine that with a new, more direct access to the South Bend airport, and they probably could cut the 45-minute South Bend-to-Carroll Avenue running time to well under half an hour. That would allow them to run hourly service without double track or passing sidings, and they could easily double the train lengths without any capital expenditures. I wouldn't be surprised if they provide longer platforms as part of the reroute to the airport.

Incidentally, the turnaround times at South Bend on weekends and holidays are only about 20 minutes, just about enough time to get a cup of coffee in the terminal and get back on board.. That may be too far east for you, though.Rob, you sound like a consultent for the company. I would not be surprised if they use those suggestions. I'm thinking you retired from the company, or you're sitting around with a conductor's cap on, and about $100,000 worth of model trains running all over the place.:)

http://www.fairfax-station.org/gifs/train4.jpg

Robert Pence
Jan 24, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm thinking you retired from the company, or you're sitting around with a conductor's cap on, and about $100,000 worth of model trains running all over the place.:)

:D Neither, really.

For a long time I've felt that public transportation, both local and intercity, is one of the most important factors in providing quality of life for people regardless of income and ability while protecting the natural environment.

I'm a booster for the South Shore because I think it's a very good example of responsible public policy. It provides good value both for the tax dollars and for the fare prices. Although I'm not a regular Chicago commuter, I do need to go there a few times a year and it cuts a four-hour drive to two while sparing me the frustration of rush-hour traffic.

I don't own a conductor's cap or any model trains, but I'm intrigued by most things rail at almost a primal level. No matter how bad a day I've had, when I board a train and the wheels start to roll, soon everything is OK. Cab rides rule, and so does the back platform of a caboose. If I were to build a model layout, it would have to be at least 1/4 scale (15" gauge) and live steam, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

That said, a lot of "railfans" creep me out - the guys in engineer's garb upholstered with railroad herald patches and carrying a radio scanner and three cameras and endangering themselves and others trespassing and running across active tracks to get a photo, or chasing an excursion on a parallel road, speeding and blowing stop signs and oblivious to traffic. Get two of them together in the same coach, and all the other passengers will have to endure their loud "can-you-top-this" competition to tell the most fabulous railroad experience story. :yuck:

Halovet
Jan 25, 2007, 10:48 AM
:D Neither, really.

For a long time I've felt that public transportation, both local and intercity, is one of the most important factors in providing quality of life for people regardless of income and ability while protecting the natural environment.

I'm a booster for the South Shore because I think it's a very good example of responsible public policy. It provides good value both for the tax dollars and for the fare prices. Although I'm not a regular Chicago commuter, I do need to go there a few times a year and it cuts a four-hour drive to two while sparing me the frustration of rush-hour traffic.

I don't own a conductor's cap or any model trains, but I'm intrigued by most things rail at almost a primal level. No matter how bad a day I've had, when I board a train and the wheels start to roll, soon everything is OK. Cab rides rule, and so does the back platform of a caboose. If I were to build a model layout, it would have to be at least 1/4 scale (15" gauge) and live steam, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

That said, a lot of "railfans" creep me out - the guys in engineer's garb upholstered with railroad herald patches and carrying a radio scanner and three cameras and endangering themselves and others trespassing and running across active tracks to get a photo, or chasing an excursion on a parallel road, speeding and blowing stop signs and oblivious to traffic. Get two of them together in the same coach, and all the other passengers will have to endure their loud "can-you-top-this" competition to tell the most fabulous railroad experience story. :yuck:Now that you mention it, there is something relaxing about a train ride. Those railfans sound creepy indeed.

kalmia
Feb 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
It would be nice if an express train could be added someday that skips all but a few of the stops. There are some stops where it seems like no one gets on or off.

MayorOfChicago
Feb 21, 2007, 6:29 PM
http://robertpence.com/south_shore/20_shops_1991.jpg

Strange how I saw that and thought right away, "wow, looks like it got hit by a train!!". Then it dawned on me that it was a train (even if it DID get hit by a train).

Anywho, good luck to the South Shore. I haven't taken it, but I know people who have. They said it's a bit slow, but worth it. Lots of people who live in Chicago and are from Michigan and western Indiana take it home and have people drive to pick them up.

I'll have to go to the Mill. Park station and check it out, looks pretty cool.

Halovet
Feb 22, 2007, 9:39 AM
Strange how I saw that and thought right away, "wow, looks like it got hit by a train!!". Then it dawned on me that it was a train (even if it DID get hit by a train).

Anywho, good luck to the South Shore. I haven't taken it, but I know people who have. They said it's a bit slow, but worth it. Lots of people who live in Chicago and are from Michigan and western Indiana take it home and have people drive to pick them up.

I'll have to go to the Mill. Park station and check it out, looks pretty cool.It is cool! One thing though, if the train went faster, I fear some of those drunks might start barfing all over the place. Better keep it at a stedy pace.:jester: :cheers:

Robert Pence
Feb 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
It would be nice if an express train could be added someday that skips all but a few of the stops. There are some stops where it seems like no one gets on or off.

Perhaps when they get the new cars, the increased capacity will allow them to run more peak expresses. Under the current schedule, #106 westbound in the morning stops at only four of the eleven platforms between Carroll Avenue and Hegewisch. I think it only shortens the overall running time to Randolph Street by about five minutes. There are no corresponding eastbound expresses in the evening.

Most of the track is already good for higher speeds than are now the practice, and the equipment can run faster, too. The biggest improvement might come from fencing right-of-way in urban areas and installing more positive crossing protection.

ajfroggie
Feb 22, 2007, 11:28 PM
The biggest improvement might come from fencing right-of-way in urban areas and installing more positive crossing protection.

The latter is usually required for higher-speed operation anyway...

Halovet
Mar 28, 2007, 9:34 AM
Thought these were neat Posters! Classic South Shore Posters!:tup:
CLICK HERE to see all posters. http://www.southshoreart.com/
http://www.clcnwi.com/pics/south_shore.jpghttp://www.spicerweb.org/miller/mil_imgs/moonlightinduneland.jpg
http://www.niaaonline.org/gifts/posters/classic/cla060http://www.niaaonline.org/gifts/posters/classic/cla062.jpg.jpg[img]http://www.niaaonline.org/gifts/posters/classic/cla015.jpg

Robert Pence
Mar 28, 2007, 2:34 PM
You can find reproductions of classic South Shore posters and others at Poster Plus (http://www.posterplus.com/) on Michigan Avenue. There's an excellent book, Moonlight in Duneland, that contains more than thirty classic South Shore posters as well as some contemporary views by Mitchell Markovitz, a former South Shore train operator and still an employee of the road. Markovitz has excellent credentials as a rail author and as a formally trained fine artist.

I noticed on Saturday (March 24) that there are four-car trains running to/from South Bend now. I don't know if they're doing this on all trains or on weekdays, but both the trains that I rode on Saturday had four cars at South Bend. There were more South Bend riders than I've been accustomed to seeing in the past, too. Used to be, eastbound passenger counts really thinned out by Carroll Avenue, and all but two cars were dropped there.

Lincolnway West, the road that accesses the airport, is being reconstructed with roundabouts; I didn't expect that before my arrival last weekend, and it threw me off my routine until I figured it out. I don't know for sure, but I speculate that the new direct western railroad approach for South Shore trains figures into the new traffic pattern.

Halovet
Mar 28, 2007, 5:44 PM
You can find reproductions of classic South Shore posters and others at Poster Plus (http://www.posterplus.com/) on Michigan Avenue. There's an excellent book, Moonlight in Duneland, that contains more than thirty classic South Shore posters as well as some contemporary views by Mitchell Markovitz, a former South Shore train operator and still an employee of the road. Markovitz has excellent credentials as a rail author and as a formally trained fine artist.

I noticed on Saturday (March 24) that there are four-car trains running to/from South Bend now. I don't know if they're doing this on all trains or on weekdays, but both the trains that I rode on Saturday had four cars at South Bend. There were more South Bend riders than I've been accustomed to seeing in the past, too. Used to be, eastbound passenger counts really thinned out by Carroll Avenue, and all but two cars were dropped there.

Lincolnway West, the road that accesses the airport, is being reconstructed with roundabouts; I didn't expect that before my arrival last weekend, and it threw me off my routine until I figured it out. I don't know for sure, but I speculate that the new direct western railroad approach for South Shore trains figures into the new traffic pattern.

I knew nothing of the posters. They really are something.:yes: as for the reconstruction at LWW, it probably has to do with the Airport expantion going on. I believe much of that area across Lincolnway from the Airport is targeted for expantion of runways and such. I'ts really significant. suprised there is no thread about it.:shrug:

Halovet
Jun 18, 2007, 4:23 PM
Invest in South Shore For Future of Northwest Indiana

By: Pete Visclosky - U.S. Congressman, Indiana's First Congressional District

Category: Economic Development

"Bold, persistent, experimentation" is what novelist Anthony Burgess said is needed for a nation to succeed. Because of bold action taken over 100 years ago, Northwest Indiana became the manufacturing center of our nation.

With the extension of the South Shore Rail Line, we have another opportunity for bold action that will build a new economy in Northwest Indiana.

With his proposal to create a dedicated transportation-based funding source to match federal investment in the South Shore extension, Indiana State Rep. Chet Dobis has shown great leadership and a vision for the future.

Northwest Indiana is engaged in what has become a fierce competition that continues to accelerate. Nationally, policy must change to ensure the competition is fair. Locally, we need to take immediate action to be as competitive as possible, while ensuring that the quality of life for every citizen is second to none.

The first step to be taken this year is to improve and extend our rail system. In doing so, we're involved in another competition against other regions of the country for mass-transit funds. These funds come from the federal gas tax that Northwest Indianans pay every day, year after year, but cannot access. They may be pennies on a gallon, but they add up to hundreds of millions of dollars over the years. To access these transit funds, a non-federal funding source must be proven. If we don't act now, these funds will be invested by the federal government elsewhere.

What makes Rep. Dobis' legislation so compelling is that the revenue stream would not be effective unless federal funding is secured - a return of 100% for every dollar invested before factoring the consequent economic development. Because the extension of the South Shore is regional, Dobis has correctly chosen the RDA to host this important project.

The economic benefits of commuter rail are proven. NICTD commissioned a study last June that concluded the South Shore extension could increase disposable personal income by $600 million and create more than 7,000 new jobs. Enhanced rail service makes it easier to access the $350 billion economy of Chicago with 500,000 jobs downtown alone.

Illinois has invested heavily in rail - having developed a plan to invest $1.5 billion in Chicago-area rail improvements. That's after building a new rail line and adding to it during the last decade.

In Indiana , there is demand for a similar investment. One of the differences in the vibrancy of the Illinois economy is the 500 miles of commuter rail lines that do not exist in Indiana . Individuals have seen the need - ridership along the South Shore was at its highest in 50 years, carrying over 4.2 million passengers - now the political leadership of our region must act to fill it.

Communities targeted for commuter rail extension see its value and are working to incorporate mass-transit into their economic futures. Munster , Cedar Lake , and Valparaiso are identifying transit-oriented development, which will add to their tax base, create jobs, and reduce congestion. Our state government is supportive. In announcing a $3 million grant to purchase rail cars, Governor Daniels talked of the "potential" of the South Shore .

These statistics point to the immediate need for action. No longer should we lose access to federal gas tax funds - as other areas grow using our money - because there is no local match. Instead, we should use our resources to make an investment in commuter rail, which will create new jobs and new opportunities.

Chet Dobis has boldly led the charge to transform the economy of Northwest Indiana . Will others take action today to lay this cornerstone of our new economy? I believe we must.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/contributors.asp?ID=932#middle

MayorOfChicago
Jun 18, 2007, 5:42 PM
^ Excellent.

the urban politician
Jun 22, 2007, 4:28 AM
^ I second that. Great news

Halovet
Dec 31, 2007, 9:56 AM
Just herd that Gov. Daniels was interested in a sale or lease of the South Shore railroad similar to that of the Indiana Toll Road. Anyone know anything additional? How far along is he willing to go? God, I hate that guy.:hell:

the urban politician
Dec 31, 2007, 3:05 PM
^ Why's that such a bad thing? Privatize=raise money=allow a private ensortium to invest in it=more likely to get funding for expansion (if the market supports it)

Halovet
Jan 4, 2008, 7:11 PM
^ Why's that such a bad thing? Privatize=raise money=allow a private ensortium to invest in it=more likely to get funding for expansion (if the market supports it)

For one thing, 90% of the money went to Indianapolis, for projects in and around Indianapolis. The toll road is 160 miles away from Indianapolis. Cities that depend on The Toll Road as a Transit hub, Gary, South Bend, Elkhart, and to a lesser extent, Fort Wayne got didley~Squat. Northern Indiana residents, regardless of Party affiliation feel robbed. Most never wanted it in the first place for this reason. Something "Mitch" said would not happen. In a word, he lied, and when his first term is done, a democrat will once again take the Governor's seat. People want change, no more lies, and from the looks of what happened in Iowa, they just might get it.

but hey, this is a Rail Road forum. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!:offtopic:

Robert Pence
Jan 8, 2008, 7:47 PM
The South Shore continued to set ridership records in 2007, and the various planned improvements are still on track.

The last I read, the first two new bi-level cars will arrive around November 2008 for in-service testing. I think they'll be similar in appearance to the latest series of Metra Electric cars, with some functional differences lke restrooms and walk-over (reversible) seats:
http://robertpence.com/chicago_04-24-07/20070424-030.jpg

They've done some track work between Michigan City and South Bend that seems to have paid off in a better ride.

For those of us outside the circulation area of South Bend media, a fair source of info on South Shore plans and operations is the NICTD (www.nictd.com/) web site. The board meeting minutes are posted in the "corporate" section.

Halovet
Jan 8, 2008, 11:58 PM
The South Shore continued to set ridership records in 2007, and the various planned improvements are still on track.

The last I read, the first two new bi-level cars will arrive around November 2008 for in-service testing. I think they'll be similar in appearance to the latest series of Metra Electric cars, with some functional differences lke restrooms and walk-over (reversible) seats:
http://robertpence.com/chicago_04-24-07/20070424-030.jpg

They've done some track work between Michigan City and South Bend that seems to have paid off in a better ride.

For those of us outside the circulation area of South Bend media, a fair source of info on South Shore plans and operations is the NICTD (www.nictd.com/) web site. The board meeting minutes are posted in the "corporate" section.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS. I knew you would have the latest rob1412. :banana:

Halovet
Feb 16, 2008, 2:41 PM
South Shore route options weighed

February 15. 2008 6:59AM

STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

Support is growing for using sales tax dollars to extend the South Shore Railroad and, with major upgrades, speed up trips to and from Chicago.

In Michigan City, local officials still are contemplating whether it's best to relocate the tracks in that community or modernize the existing route that runs down the middle of streets and across numerous intersections in the city.

Oberlie, local business leaders and South Bend Mayor Stephen Luecke are the latest to reveal support for a funding mechanism in a bill that's now in the state Senate after winning House approval.

Currently, South Shore commuter trains move slowly through Michigan City, with tracks literally down the middle of 10th and 11th streets, cutting across numerous unguarded intersections on the way to the Carroll Avenue station.

One idea being explored is the possibility of reconfiguring streets to move trains now traveling down the middle of streets to the curb.

That might allow for more speed and less risk of contact with vehicles and pedestrians, Oberlie said.

Relocating that stretch of track about a mile to the south by Ames Field along abandoned right of way is another possibility to improve travel times and safety.

Moving the tracks could also be less costly.

But Oberlie said the existing route is probably best for tourism, as it is within a relatively short walk to the lakefront, Blue Chip Casino, Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets and other attractions.

If the bill is approved, Oberlie said, either option is now possible because a lack of financial resources locally will no longer be an issue.

In South Bend, travel times could be further reduced by relocating tracks leading to a passenger station at South Bend Regional Airport and eliminating 16 grade crossings.

Other work includes extending the South Shore commuter service to Valparaiso and Lowell. The bill allows a percentage of sales taxes in Lake, Porter, LaPorte and St. Joseph counties to be applied toward the project, which rough estimates put at $1 billion.

Copyright © 1994-2008 South Bend Tribune

James2390
Feb 19, 2008, 5:15 AM
I'm so glad to see Indiana pumping money into this.

I know this would very unlikely, but I always thought it would be such a cool idea if they extended the South Shore from South Bend to Detroit. I guess it really couldn't be called the South Shore anymore.

Halovet
Feb 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
I'm so glad to see Indiana pumping money into this.

I know this would very unlikely, but I always thought it would be such a cool idea if they extended the South Shore from South Bend to Detroit. I guess it really couldn't be called the South Shore anymore.
Sure, it would be the South Shore. The entire trip is along southern Lake Michingan, except when it shifts slightly north, while heading to Detroit.

Robert Pence
Feb 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
... I always thought it would be such a cool idea if they extended the South Shore from South Bend to Detroit ...

In 1927, South Shore introduced a joint venture with Shore Line Motorcoaches to provide once-daily service between Chicago and Detroit. Eastbound passengers left Chicago on a noon train that carried a dining car. At South Bend they transferred to deluxe motorcoaches with leather bucket seats, restrooms and all the other finest amenities of the era. I don't know when the route was discontinued.

Shore Line Motorcoaches also ran connecting service between Gary and Valparaiso and between Michigan City and St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Those services didn't have the deluxe amenities of the Detroit service.

If you love South Shore history, you'd do well to find a copy of South Shore, The Last Interurban, by William Middleton - Golden West Books, 1970. It's well-written and well-organized and provides maps, many excellent black-and-white photos and a detailed history of the operations and business aspects of the railroad, including freight service and associated bus lines.

February 15. 2008 6:59AM

STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

[...]

In Michigan City, local officials still are contemplating whether it's best to relocate the tracks in that community or modernize the existing route that runs down the middle of streets and across numerous intersections in the city.

[...]

From what I've read in board meeting minutes, South Shore management really wants to get rid of the street running. They've stated that it's the most expensive two miles of track to maintain in the entire system. Dealing with auto traffic and many cross-streets will slow down trains and present public-safety hazards no matter what changes they make, if they continue street running.

Running adjacent to CSX would allow higher speeds and shave time off the schedule. A new station at 11th street could have 400 parking spaces, twice the number now available at Carroll Avenue. And high-level platforms, one would hope?

brian_b
Feb 25, 2008, 6:47 PM
On the west side of the city, heading east, the South Shore goes along a large right of way, splitting off around 10th street and pretty much merging with the Amtrak line. Why not continue on and use the Amtrak station as the "downtown" South Shore station? Just east of the railroad bridge over Trail Creek is a right of way that heads southeast and meets up with the existing South Shore line - a few hundred feet east of the existing Carroll Ave. station!

It seems that this would be an improvement. That line would be closer to the lake front and marina, the same distance to Lighthouse place, and you could potentially add a 3rd "casino station" to the mix - it passes very close by...

Actually, now that I think about it, the Amtrak station is so close to Trail Creek that it would be trivial to add a water taxi over to the casino.

orulz
Feb 25, 2008, 6:59 PM
Given GYY's likely future as the 3rd major airport of the Chicagoland area, I'd like to see the South Shore rerouted so that it goes through the terminal. I've heard discussion of a spur line to GYY, but not rerouting the mainline to serve the terminal directly. Rather than turning south after Hammond station to parallel the Skyway, the South Shore should keep going straight through East Chicago, then curve southeast along Industrial Drive by the airport. Then rejoin the current alignment at a location about 1/2 mile east of Clark Road station.

Reg. Michigan City,
Why not continue on and use the Amtrak station as the "downtown" South Shore station? Just east of the railroad bridge over Trail Creek is a right of way that heads southeast and meets up with the existing South Shore line - a few hundred feet east of the existing Carroll Ave. station!That is the obvious route that makes the most sense, however, the swing bridge over Trail Creek complicates things quite a bit. I think this is the situation (someone else feel free to clarify if I'm wrong on something.) The bridge itself has a deck built for two tracks, so either Amtrak and South Shore could share two tracks, or South Shore could get one while Amtrak gets the other. So, in theory, it works.

The problem is the bridge's age. In its current condition, it does not meet modern standards. It is grandfathered in under old regulations, and is thus allowed to stay in operation for Amtrak.

The modifications required in order to allow South Shore trains to run under wire on this bridge would be significant enough to make it so the bridge is no longer grandfathered in, and would have to be brought 100% up to date with recent regulations. Presumably this would be a $millions or $10's of millions project.

brian_b
Feb 25, 2008, 7:51 PM
Given GYY's likely future as the 3rd major airport of the Chicagoland area, I'd like to see the South Shore rerouted so that it goes through the terminal. I've heard discussion of a spur line to GYY, but not rerouting the mainline to serve the terminal directly. Rather than turning south after Hammond station to parallel the Skyway, the South Shore should keep going straight through East Chicago, then curve southeast along Industrial Drive by the airport. Then rejoin the current alignment at a location about 1/2 mile east of Clark Road station.

Reg. Michigan City,
That is the obvious route that makes the most sense, however, the swing bridge over Trail Creek complicates things quite a bit. I think this is the situation (someone else feel free to clarify if I'm wrong on something.) The bridge itself has a deck built for two tracks, so either Amtrak and South Shore could share two tracks, or South Shore could get one while Amtrak gets the other. So, in theory, it works.

The problem is the bridge's age. In its current condition, it does not meet modern standards. It is grandfathered in under old regulations, and is thus allowed to stay in operation for Amtrak.

The modifications required in order to allow South Shore trains to run under wire on this bridge would be significant enough to make it so the bridge is no longer grandfathered in, and would have to be brought 100% up to date with recent regulations. Presumably this would be a $millions or $10's of millions project.

Yes, I suppose a new bridge would probably be needed. Think the Feds would chip in a few bucks?

jpIllInoIs
Feb 25, 2008, 9:14 PM
Great article on both infrastructure projects

Jon Hilkevitch | Getting Around
February 25, 2008
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-gettingaround25feb25,0,1640818.column

The fledgling low-cost carrier Skybus Airlines is scheduled to launch service on March 13 from Gary-Chicago. It will consist of two daily flights to Greensboro, N.C., and two return trips to Gary each day on Airbus A319 jets outfitted with 156 seats.

From Greensboro, Skybus offers flights to 11 other cities, but the logistics of making connections are complicated due to a limited number of travel-time options

Skybus chose to operate at Gary- Chicago due to its nearness to Chicago and because Gary offers an alternative to the congestion at O'Hare and Midway Airport, officials said.

"One of the big things that sold Skybus on Gary was when we got in the car at the airport with their director of pricing and headed to Chicago," said Chris Curry, Gary-Chicago's director. "We arrived at Millennium Park in 30 minutes
For travelers who prefer not to drive, shuttle-bus service will begin operating March 13 to the airport from the South Shore Line commuter station about a mile away. The shuttle fare will be $1.25 a ride.

The South Shore runs between the Millennium Park rail station in downtown Chicago and South Bend, Ind., where the trains enter the terminal at South Bend Regional Airport. In the long term, if a second passenger terminal is built at Gary-Chicago, officials envision South Shore trains directly serving the airport.

The new rail routing could be incorporated into long-range plans costing at least $1 billion to extend the South Shore Line to Lowell and Valparaiso, Ind. The Gary-Chicago link is tentatively projected to cost about $130 million.

orulz
Feb 26, 2008, 2:56 AM
Yes, I suppose a new bridge would probably be needed. Think the Feds would chip in a few bucks?

I would say that completely refurbishing the bridge would probably wind up being cheaper, and will probaly eventually happen once it no longer moves, but that plus improving the northern route for the South Shore trains would still probably be more expensive than building the connection to the southern route.

As for who will pay for it, there is definitely federal grant money available for bridge work, even railroad bridges, but Indiana, Amtrak, and/or Michigan City would probably be expected to pitch in with matching funds.

orulz
Feb 26, 2008, 3:10 AM
BTW here is a post I did about the conceptual terminal design for GYY that includes the south shore line AND high speed rail (looks like a run-through track configuration to me.)

Since this thread seems to be dealing with all matter of airport issues around Chicago rather than just the O'Hare expansion, thought I'd post this here, as I don't think it's been posted yet.

It's the architect's page (http://www.scb.com/?mainpage=2&pagetype=Architecture&p=98&firstlevel=6&seclevel=2) for the new design for the Gary-Chicago airport. The architect is Solomon Cordwell Buenz. It's highly intermodal, and it's sleek and modern in a very European sense.

It clearly involves relocating the South Shore line, probably to the north of the airport. This would bypass the current Clark Road and East Chicago stations, but probably bring the line through downtown East Chicago instead.

Wonder whether this is just a dream, or whether The Gary Chicago Airport Authority has the pull to make it happen. Regardless, this sounds WAY better than some massive airport way out in the boonies that chews up farmland and doesn't connect to transit.

http://www.scb.com/images/project/98/1.jpghttp://www.scb.com/images/project/98/2.jpghttp://www.scb.com/images/project/98/3.jpghttp://www.scb.com/images/project/98/4.jpg

Halovet
Feb 26, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'd sure like to see that happen.:yes:

UglymanCometh
Feb 26, 2008, 2:04 PM
I'd LOVE to see it happen.

ethereal_reality
Aug 16, 2008, 4:34 PM
quick question.

I'm taking my mother into Chicago on the South Shore Line and I want
to be sure that there are restrooms on board.

Metra didn't have restrooms when I used to commute.
So I just want to make sure. Thanks.