PDA

View Full Version : Austin Resource Center for the Homeless

JAM
Dec 20, 2006, 7:22 PM
Since I live downtown, and it would be hard for me to provide money to each and every homeless person that asks for it each night I'm out, I was wondering if there was a place that I could at least direct them to. Ran across this bit of information:

Homelessness: The Big Picture
BY CHERYL SMITH

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/issue/story?oid=oid%3A429276

The 175-bed Austin Resource Center for the Homeless holds a nightly bed lottery. Managers say the center is able to accommodate everyone on most nights, but the recent cold weather has resulted in extra-long lines, and there are plans to increase the capacity to 200 the next time the temperature dips to freezing. These people are waiting in the alley behind the center for the lottery to begin.
photo by Jana Birchum

When nighttime temperatures dipped into the 20s a couple of weeks back, a handful of local churches opened up their doors to the homeless. As usual, the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless' 175 beds were all taken; next door, the Salvation Army's 100 slots reserved for homeless males were filled as well. Anywhere between 50 and 70 people typically spill into the church shelters when they open on nights the temperature falls to 32 degrees, said Carol Swicker, program director with Front Steps, formerly the Capital Area Homeless Alliance.

According to an analysis of the local homeless situation released last month by the Community Action Network, a public-private partnership between local organizations, government offices, businesses, and individuals with a focus on health and well-being issues in Austin and Travis County, the shelter-seeking crowd made up only a fraction of Austin's homeless population. Among the highlights of "Facts and Questions About Homelessness," an update of CAN's 2001 "Homelessness Assessment Report" and its 2002 Homelessness FAQ (see www.caction.org/reports.htm), are these disconcerting statistics, paraprashed directly from the analysis:

• Over a 12-month period, there were more than 6,200 homeless people in the Austin area.

• From Sept. 12, 2005, to Sept. 12, 2006, 6,242 unique individuals received services from Austin-area homeless service providers (Homeless Management Information System).

• On any given day, there are about 4,000 homeless individuals, 1,900 of them Downtown (Homeless Count 2004).

• More than 1,500 children are affected by homelessness in AISD. In this school year, AISD Project Help served 1,556 homeless students. (See p.80 for more on Project Help.)

• The high cost of living contributes to homelessness. Austin has the highest housing costs for an urban area in Texas (Texas A&M Real Estate Center Report 2005).

• Low wages contribute to homelessness. Of the top 10 occupational categories in the Austin area, nearly 30% of jobs have a median wage under $10 an hour (WorkSource).

"The primary reasons that people become and remain homeless are poverty and lack of resources" – specifically, a lack of affordable housing – said Rick Rivera, chair of Austin's Homeless Task Force, one of CAN's several planning arms. Unfortunately, Austin has plenty of the former and a scarcity of the latter. According to U.S. census figures, 15.7% of Travis Co. residents live below the federal poverty line – $19,350 for a family of four. Considering that federal poverty line numbers tend to be conservative estimates, the 15.7% figure only hints at the extent of poverty here. (For more, see "Beyond the Poverty Line," Jan. 20, 2006.)

Unless you've been living on another planet, you're already aware that affordable housing is hard to come by in the Austin area, where, according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, fair market rent for a two-bedroom apartment is $836. According to Lisa Garcia, vice president of assisted housing for the Housing Authority of the City of Austin, about 5,900 families are on the local waiting list for Section 8 vouchers and 4,680 are on the list for public housing.

Despite the gloomy stats, however, Austin was one of a select number of local governments across the country recognized in a report released Oct. 31 by the National Alliance to End Homelessness for its efforts to work with its homeless population. (For more, see "A New Vision: What Is in Community Plans to End Homelessness?," www.naeh.org/content/article/detail/1397.) However, without a combination of good affordable-housing programs and significant homelessness-prevention plans in place, well-intended community efforts to make a dent in the local homeless population won't make a lasting difference, said Nan P. Roman, president of the National Alliance to End Homelessness. "You can't cherry-pick a few pieces and think that they are going to work," said Roman. Simply focusing on rapid rehousing without prevention programs won't work, for example, because "as soon as you empty out the shelter … the beds are just going to fill up again," she said.

Austin's Ending Chronic Homelessness Task Force, also affiliated with CAN, has focused on rehousing through collaborations with housing nonprofits like Caritas of Austin and Foundation Communities, noted Rivera, but overall homelessness-prevention efforts – such as making child care more affordable, raising the minimum wage, and offering accessible substance-abuse programs, for example – haven't been as strong, he said, because the funding simply isn't there. Considering, Rivera added, that 15% to 20% of the Austin-area homeless population is classified as chronically homeless – continuously without a home for at least a year or temporarily homeless at least four times over a three-year period, according to a HUD definition cited in CAN's FAQ – and that the chronically homeless consume about 50% of all services used locally by homeless people, putting money into prevention efforts at all levels – local, state, and federal – makes sound economic sense. "It's a matter of time and resources." And if governments don't invest more in these types of programs, "we're going to continue to have our community experience this," he said.

Other links:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/1099/arch_1099.htm

http://www.udg.com/zARCH.html

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/ms_homeless.htm

http://www.udg.com/NewFiles/ARCH.jpg

tennreb
Dec 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
Nothing like spending tens of millions of dollars to enable drug addicts.

Double L
Dec 21, 2006, 3:47 AM
In a case like Austin where you've got high housing prices creating 6,000 homeless living in the city, 1,500 of them children; I think something like this is needed to help them get up off their feet. Because high cost of living is a definitely serious issue.

JAM
Dec 21, 2006, 4:28 AM

That's the Christmas spirit we need! Seriously, there are a few that have that problem, but a lot are just down on their luck. I hope and pray it never happens to my family. If you do a little research, you'll find that a drug problem often relates to a mental illness.

M1EK
Dec 21, 2006, 2:37 PM
In a case like Austin where you've got high housing prices creating 6,000 homeless living in the city, 1,500 of them children; I think something like this is needed to help them get up off their feet. Because high cost of living is a definitely serious issue.

High housing prices have next to nothing to do with it. News stations do exposes every so often about the guys that are out there begging for money - and without exception, the money goes straight into booze.

The few that actually want to work generally get help and eventually get jobs. It's unfortunate that the Reagan-era policy of opening the doors of the mental hospitals hasn't been reversed; but don't be fooled - most of the beggars out there making it difficult to convince people downtown is a good place to live are just bums, not "down on their luck".

JAM
Dec 21, 2006, 4:53 PM
My impression of most of the guys out on the streets of Austin is that they are not professionals, they are not trying to make a living at it. They are usually pretty easy going and will leave you alone. I often walk at night with no money to walk off a little excess JAM. When I tell them I'm just out for a walk and have none, they are satisfied with that answer. Contrast that with Houston or other cities that I've lived in. Those guys are pros. They see you coming from a few blocks away. If you cross the street to avoid them, they cross too. They will follow you, and work on you until you run or give them money - they are making a living out of it, and are pretty good at it. (I'm not saying it is a good living)

tennreb
Dec 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
That's the Christmas spirit we need! Seriously, there are a few that have that problem, but a lot are just down on their luck. I hope and pray it never happens to my family. If you do a little research, you'll find that a drug problem often relates to a mental illness.

Yes, most of them have mental illnesses and secondary drug problems. I have worked in public mental hospitals and know all about it. Due to the nature of their mental illness, they do not seek treatment. The Catch-22 is that you can't force it on them. Therefore, circumstances must be that treatment is their only option. A facility such as this gives them an option besides treatment. Now they have a place to stay so they can sustain their drug abuse and under-treated mental illness. The answer to homelessness is better mental health care.

austlar
Dec 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
I agree with Tenreb. Mental illness is pervasive amongst the homeless, especially the downtown homeless, and most are self medicating with drugs and booze. There are also a number of hardcore crack addicts living downtown and nearby who probably do not have serious mental illlness. The Arch does make it easier to maintain this lifestyle; however, the place does try to provide transitional services and has helped a lot of people get off the streets or obtain services. I view it as a kind of mixed blessing that, along with the Sally, is in an unfortunate location.

It is inaccurate to place all the blame for homelessness on Reagan era cuts in spending. The problem really began in the late 1960's after the advent of psychotropic drugs that made it possible for severely mentally ill people to be treated and released from hospitals. Indeed, the courts mandated that the mentally ill must be released unless they were deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. The idea was that the mentally ill would be treated on an outpatient basis in commmunity based outpatient mental health centers. State legislatures were more than happy to downsize or shut down expensive state hospitals, but most states failed to adequately fund outpatient programs. Addtionally, this new outpatient population proved to be difficult to treat and frequently resistant to taking medication. The mentally ill, especially those without families or support, began to slip through the cracks, and by the late 1970's a large homeless population began to become visible in most large cities. The Reagan era spending cuts only exacerbated an existing and growing problem, but it is a problem that our society has refused to address now for over a quarter of a century. The homeless and the mentally ill don't vote and don't have a voice. It is really pretty sad. In the old days we used to lock them up and forget abot them. Now we just forget about them. Maybe this is better. I really don't know. I do know that mental health services need to be provided, and as things now stand only the most determined and compliant are able to get anything resembling help from MHMR. The rest are too frustrated and/or disturbed to even try, so they turn to the easy way out with drugs and booze.

texastarkus
Dec 23, 2006, 1:40 PM

I've lived in Austin for all of my 47 years and I think it's stupid way to spend my tax dollars.

JAM
Dec 23, 2006, 6:04 PM
^^^^^ That was somebody else that said "Nothing like spending tens of millions of dollars to enable drug addicts." Please don't quote me out of context.

It is vital to a community to handle its homeless situation. IMO Austin has done a decent job of it. Go to other cities where it is not handled so well. It gets scary for people to go downtown. Drives business away and tax dollars away. Suddenly those few dollars spent on helping the homeless look like peanuts compared to the dollars lost in tax revenue. Plus, you might even feel good about helping them.

Double L
Dec 27, 2006, 2:45 AM
I could SO argue this one, I just don't feel like taking the time to do it.

KevinFromTexas
Dec 27, 2006, 7:08 AM
Well, as someone who has extended family, (through marriage), that is homeless, I can tell you that some of them don't care to help themselves. He has Bipolar disorder and refuses treatment or any kind of help. He's been homeless for atleast 3 years now, (I think, he comes and goes). Anyway, this isn't true for all of them. Some really are down on their luck or do have mental problems which keep them from functioning. However, if they refuse treatment, that's their fault, even if they do have mental problems. Legally, they can't force treatment and help, just offer it.

Double L
Dec 27, 2006, 9:53 AM
We know that there are a higher percentage of Homeless in Austin compared to most Texas cities. It's homeless numbers are the exact same as Dallas at 6000. This statistic has to be a result of the higher housing prices in Austin. The higher housing prices are parallel to the higher homeless rate. A two bedroom apartment averages $800 a month in Austin.

Also, this is not the highest quality housing, there is plenty of incentive for them to try and achieve better. This is pretty much only a roof over their heads and a bed to sleep on (correct?). So we are providing the basic necessities for housing and they will want to do better.

Plus, this is a necessity because it is a safety issue, these people are possibly freezing at night, we should give them a roof over their heads.

Finally, Austin Independent School District reports 1500 homeless children in Austin. That is not a product of mental illness.

M1EK
Dec 27, 2006, 4:09 PM
We know that there are a higher percentage of Homeless in Austin compared to most Texas cities. It's homeless numbers are the exact same as Dallas at 6000. This statistic has to be a result of the higher housing prices in Austin.

No, it doesn't. It's far more likely to be caused by the state services here which don't exist in Dallas or Houston -- think about all the mental hospitals here compared to there, for instance.

JAM
Dec 27, 2006, 4:12 PM
I wonder what the comparison is between San Antonio and Houston. I would rather be on the streets in Austin over Dallas due to weather conditions. Dallas might not be a good comparison. It may also be safer to be on the streets in Austin over Dallas.

Double L
Dec 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
A two bedroom apartment averages $800 a month in Austin.

This will give people a roof over their heads so they aren't freezing at night, this will attract people to services that will help them. I can't bring myself to want to put them out on the street. Austin housing prices leave Austin in a situation where housing is more difficult to find so to compensate, we need this new development.

Again, this gets people off of the streets and gives them services that can help them get off the ground. Austin is a more difficult city to get housing in. We need these quality services.

Double L
Dec 27, 2006, 11:50 PM
Also, aren't there more services in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio? Houston is world class for its medical services, both Houston and Dallas have more access to regionwide public transportation (Fort Worth in particular) and San Antonio has more people who will give change with all of its tourist areas.

Yes, mental health is an issue but so is housing prices and when people fall on their luck this will attract them to a facility which will give them services and possibly get treatment.

tennreb
Dec 29, 2006, 12:10 AM
We know that there are a higher percentage of Homeless in Austin compared to most Texas cities. It's homeless numbers are the exact same as Dallas at 6000. This statistic has to be a result of the higher housing prices in Austin. The higher housing prices are parallel to the higher homeless rate. A two bedroom apartment averages $800 a month in Austin.

If you believe that, you are a fool. There are plenty of housing options available. Do you know how easy it is to get Section 8? Most of these people have mental issues, and they still get free housing. I've worked in mental health services getting people housing on discharge. They end up homeless because they get kicked out of where they live for drinking or drugging or not taking their meds, or they just go psychotic and leave. Your statement is about as idiotic as the popular liberal myth that there are tens of millions of American children that are starving.

Double L
Dec 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
Except that the proof is in the numbers. There are 1500 homeless children in Austin and Austin has both higher homeless population along with higher housing prices in Texas cities while there are more services for them in other Texas cities.

Double L
Dec 29, 2006, 12:52 AM
We can't leave them out on the street. I don't believe in lacking in services.

Most of them have mental illnesses but in the case that somebody does fall flat on their face we need to give them the services which will give them help. Also, this will attract them to a place which will give services and heal mental illness. You talk of getting them help and treatment; this is the place that will do it, once they are attracted there they will be given the help they need.

Overgeneralizing them and saying "they all have mental illness so they should get a job" is to be out of touch with the situation. If somebody does fall back Austin is a difficult city to get housing in. This will attract them to the services they need. And isn't this the exact same thing as "section 8"? Except this will give the homeless treatment and make sure they aren't on the street.

tennreb
Dec 29, 2006, 8:54 PM
Except that the proof is in the numbers. There are 1500 homeless children in Austin and Austin has both higher homeless population along with higher housing prices in Texas cities while there are more services for them in other Texas cities.

The 1500 "homeless children" includes runaway 16 year-olds with drug problems. How many are actual children whose homelessness is out of their control? I'll bet very few if any at all. Another examples of liberals lying with statistics. Who can forget Dan Rather claiming that there were 20 million American children going hungry every night? Maybe if Austin wouldn't support these runaway drug-addict teenagers, the only place they would have to go is home to their parents where they can get some help. Austin has more homeless than other Texas cities because the people in Austin support homelessness, while other cities won't tolerate it.

KevinFromTexas
Dec 30, 2006, 6:08 AM
There is a related topic over at Current Events. Check out that thread at the below link:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=122686

M1EK
Jan 2, 2007, 3:00 PM
Responding to a bunch:

By "extra state services" I meant that a lot of mentally ill people get committed to various state hospitals here in Austin (which exist in disproportionate numbers here) and then some of them eventually get released here (to the streets).

As for housing costs - measuring by the cost of a two bedroom apartment is a misleading game by homeless 'advocates'. There are efficiencies (or garage apartments) available all over town at the sub-$500 level that aren't even in dangerous parts of town. If my family were at risk of sleeping on the street vs. being crammed into an efficiency, do you think I'd stay on the street until I had enough money for a two-bedroom?

austlar
Jan 3, 2007, 10:16 AM
Keep in mind that Austin has a mild cliimate, a fairly low violent crime rate, a reputation for tolerance, and is thought to be "laid back" and safe. I know one young homeless drug addict who came all the way to Austin from Dayton, Ohio. He had been told by somebody he met in jail in Ohio that Austin was a great place to be homeless. He came here to be homeless and that is what he has done. Is he mentally ill? Yes, he has bi-polar illness and does not like to take medication, preferring to self-medicate with all sorts of drugs. His judgement, consequently, is completely impaired and urealistic. He exists in and out of jail, drifting from situation to situation, petty crime to petty crime, substance to substance. If he is in jail, he'll take meds. Once he's out, it is back to the streets. There are hundreds just like him living in the shadows in and near downtown. Similarly, there are a others over near the Drag doing things their way; some of them are counted among the homeless children. Most are in their mid to late teens and are runaways, not victims of the high cost of housing. The visible homeless population you see downtown or on the Drag or flying signs at freeway off-ramps are not in the housing market. They exist in a kind of alternate reality that has NOTHING to do with the high cost of housing in the Austin area.

tennreb
Jan 3, 2007, 8:44 PM
Keep in mind that Austin has a mild cliimate, a fairly low violent crime rate, a reputation for tolerance, and is thought to be "laid back" and safe. I know one young homeless drug addict who came all the way to Austin from Dayton, Ohio. He had been told by somebody he met in jail in Ohio that Austin was a great place to be homeless. He came here to be homeless and that is what he has done. Is he mentally ill? Yes, he has bi-polar illness and does not like to take medication, preferring to self-medicate with all sorts of drugs. His judgement, consequently, is completely impaired and urealistic. He exists in and out of jail, drifting from situation to situation, petty crime to petty crime, substance to substance. If he is in jail, he'll take meds. Once he's out, it is back to the streets. There are hundreds just like him living in the shadows in and near downtown. Similarly, there are a others over near the Drag doing things their way; some of them are counted among the homeless children. Most are in their mid to late teens and are runaways, not victims of the high cost of housing. The visible homeless population you see downtown or on the Drag or flying signs at freeway off-ramps are not in the housing market. They exist in a kind of alternate reality that has NOTHING to do with the high cost of housing in the Austin area.

You are absolutely correct. Homelessness will continue as long as we enable it.

Double L
Jan 4, 2007, 1:40 AM
So I guess they should all just freeze in the cold or die of overdose since there aren't any places they can go in which people will show them how to get off their feet. :tup:

tennreb
Jan 4, 2007, 6:37 AM
So I guess they should all just freeze in the cold or die of overdose since there aren't any places they can go in which people will show them how to get off their feet. :tup:

No, they should be in mental health centers or rehab getting help. If there is nowhere else to go, they will end up there.

Double L
Jan 5, 2007, 1:54 AM
Or we should do both.

tennreb
Jan 5, 2007, 8:17 PM
Or we should do both.

That might work in fantasyland, but not in the real world. The thing about mental illness is it is accompanied with a lack of insight. They don't know they're ill. They won't get help unless that is the only option. Since the courts ruled that we can't force them, they have to seek it on their own. This homeless center gives them an option besides treatment. That is how it encourages homelessness. It gives people the option of being homeless.

Double L
Jan 5, 2007, 8:58 PM
They have a right to that option, that is their decision, but they don't have a right to death. We need to protect them. So we should give them shelter. Also, we need to give them services which will help them get off the ground. We can bait them into those services by giving them shelter and food. Once they come here they can talk to a counseler who will help them with whatever they need. Also, the quality of life in this complex is as low as it can be without being left straight out on the streets. They will not necessarily want to stay here. I don't want them in the cold or in the rain, or high on drugs without anybody to help them. They come here and they get the exact help you are talking about. It is not a mental illness issue only, it is also an issue of drug addiction, laziness and housing situation. We need to protect their basic right to safety from outdoor dangers.

KevinFromTexas
Jan 6, 2007, 7:20 AM
There are several success stories among people who "get help" in their homeless situation. I'm not familar with these people personally, so I'm not sure that they're mentally ill or not, but there are two low income housing complexes within 2 miles of my house. They aren't what you think either. One was a former nursing home that closed its doors and was almost demolished and probably would have become more apartments, but it was purchased and turned into low income housing for the homeless. Now, these aren't drunk staggering panhandlers, actually, they have jobs, they own cars, (the parking lot is full of them), and they have a home now. The neighborhood is also no worse off with them there than it was without them. In other words, it's just like any other apartment complex, I often forget that is is for low income housing. The other one is a former 5-story Ramada Inn hotel a bit farther north near Ben White that closed its doors. It was bought by a developer of these types of properties and renovated the building. I think rent there is about $300 if I remember correctly from the article about it. The top floor has a common area with a great view of downtown. Both of these facilties are a positive thing in my view. They haven't brought down the neighborhood or property taxes, (I can assure you of that!)