View Full Version : The google rumors thread II

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 10, 2006, 8:42 AM
The old one seems to have vanished.

Check this out - I just saw an ad for this here on SSP and clicked on the link:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/seattle2/

SeattleHusky82
Dec 10, 2006, 4:48 PM
Google has offices here in Kirkland and Fremont, I wouldn't look too deep into these job postings as signs that they are coming to Bellevue.

MrVandelay
Dec 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Google looking in Seattle; Bellevue tower developer casting net for tenants
By Amy Martinez
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003477909_webgoogleoffice14.html
Seattle Times business reporter

It could be a while before Google finds office space in the Seattle area.

A month ago, commercial real-estate brokers were saying they heard that Google had signed a letter of intent with Texas-based Hines development company to lease about 300,000 square feet at Tower 333, a 20-story office building under construction at Northeast Fourth Street and 108th Avenue Northeast in downtown Bellevue.

Now, they're saying Google's move to Tower 333 is no longer a go.

"They're considering other alternatives," said Parker Ferguson, co-founder of Seattle brokerage Flinn Ferguson, which is looking for office space on Google's behalf.

Google started talking with owners of other office buildings in the Seattle area last week, Ferguson said.

Although a letter of intent suggests that a deal is imminent, it's not legally binding, meaning either side could walk away at any time.

Google's expansion plans have been the subject of much speculation within the Seattle brokerage community for about a year. The California-based company reportedly requires anyone with whom it has discussed its plans to sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Brokers said it's not clear why Google is now looking beyond Tower 333 for new offices, but Bellevue's loss could be Seattle's gain.

Oscar Oliveira, a broker at Colliers International in Bellevue, said he believes Google has turned its attention to parts of Seattle, such as Belltown and South Lake Union, that tend to be popular with young technology workers.

"I heard they're looking for something that better fits their California tech image," Oliveira said

Another possible explanation might be last month's fatal construction crane accident in downtown Bellevue. A crane working at Tower 333 collapsed Nov. 16, damaging three nearby buildings. Matt Ammon, a Microsoft attorney, died when the 210-foot crane crashed into his apartment.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 15, 2006, 1:40 AM
^
I merged your thread with the other one I had created a few days ago.

MrVandelay
Dec 15, 2006, 5:13 AM
^
I merged your thread with the other one I had created a few days ago.

no problem :)

I'll be a bit disappointed if Google decides on Seattle other than Bellevue, but either way as long as they add jobs to the NW, its good. And this is coming from a MSFT guy :D

Hoodrat
Jan 9, 2007, 2:38 AM
Bump

James Bond Agent 007
Jan 9, 2007, 3:10 AM
^
Yeah where's some news on this?

I'm getting impatient. :mad:

Bear
Jan 13, 2007, 12:56 AM
^
Yeah where's some news on this?

I'm getting impatient. :mad:

They are buying a parcel in Fremont to do a build to sit for approx 100,000 sf

mhays
Jan 13, 2007, 1:06 AM
Any details? Is this the site next to Adobe, i.e. the next phase of the project straddling the bridge? Elsewhere?

James Bond Agent 007
Jan 13, 2007, 1:23 AM
Interesting.

If true, I guess this means Fremont will become too expensive to be The Center Of The Universe anymore. :D

pablo
Jan 13, 2007, 3:22 AM
that sucks, i was hoping they'd end up in Bellevue :-(

Hoodrat
Jan 13, 2007, 5:12 AM
Doesn't Google just want some sort of boutique "brain lab" up here to sponge up all the disgruntled Microsoft (and other tech) talent?

James Bond Agent 007
Jan 13, 2007, 5:45 AM
^
It's been my impression from the various articles I've read that they want a bigger research center than just that. At one point they were talking about taking up most of the Bellevue Tech Tower (or whatever it's called now).

Capitol Hill
May 18, 2007, 9:57 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2003712850_webgoogle18.html

Google is taking 60,000 s.f. from Getty Images in fremont.

James Bond Agent 007
May 19, 2007, 1:24 AM
^
That's it?

240 workers isn't bad I suppose, but with all the talk surrounding this I would have suspected it would be much bigger than that.

*shrugs*

Capitol Hill
May 19, 2007, 5:08 AM
Well, as the article says, it sounds like they are shifting their employment plan in the area versus what they were talking about a year ago.