PDA

View Full Version : Coaster Revealed

Wheelingman04
Dec 14, 2006, 5:04 AM
Coaster Revealed

By MARIO MUSCAR Staff Writer
http://www.news-register.net/news/articles.asp?articleID=13839
http://www.news-register.net/news/image_generator.asp?path=E:\oweb.net\Intellnews\storyPhotos\shocktower2.JPG&Width=285

An artist’s rendering shows the ShockTower roller coaster, expected to be a highlight of Wild Escape at The Highlands. The German-designed roller coaster will be one of the centerpieces at the park coming to The Highlands, set to open Phase I in 2007.

Photo Provided
WHEELING — Strap yourself in and hold on — the “world’s tallest inversion” roller coaster will make its home at Wild Escape Theme Park, according to park president Steve Minard.

“It is a world-changing, best-of-the-world coaster,” Minard said.

Named the ShockTower, the German-designed roller coaster will be one of the centerpieces at the park coming to The Highlands, set to open Phase I in 2007.

Minard claimed the roller coaster will be the world’s tallest inversion but would not give a specific height. He noted it would be “taller than any building in Wheeling.”

Minard said the design of the roller coaster was “tweaked” while being developed to make it different from other roller coasters.

“There are aspects of this coaster that are revolutionary,” Minard said. “This is my pride and joy.”

One “revolutionary” feature is the type of cars riders will occupy. Minard said the cars are designed to include everybody, offering comfortable seating for different-sized people.

“The cars are designed to comfortably and safely contain everyone from a 48-pound girl to a 300-pound man, from a 7-foot-tall person to a 4-foot-tall kid,” he said. “We want everyone to be comfortable and have a good time.”

The individual cars will also have stadium seating so everyone has a clear sight line and can experience the “in the front feeling,” he said.

“You won’t have to be in the front to see what is going on,” Minard said.

Earth work is still under way and a preliminary blast plan for the site is being developed, he said.

After results from core borings are known, a final blasting plan will be approved.

Minard said after the pad is ready for construction, he will know exactly when the park will be completed.

“The land work takes the longest,” he said.

Minard said work on the site began nearly two years ago after the deal was finalized with the Ohio County Commission. When the project was announced at a groundbreaking in July, millions of cubic yards of earth already had been moved as part of the site preparation. Park plans are currently on schedule.

“We are very pleased where we are,” he said. “It is normal for a park this size to take five years to complete, and we are entering the final leg.”

Some attractions and rides already are being constructed off-site and will be assembled when brought to Ohio County, Minard noted.

Minard thanked county commission members for their dedication to the project, saying, “Ohio County Commission has their act together. From the many projects I have worked on, I don’t think there have ever been better people to work with.”

The park will be a year-round, entertainment-oriented park for all ages featuring music and concerts. It will be part of an “entertainment campus” that is expected to include spas, a hotel and shopping.

Wheelingman04
Dec 14, 2006, 5:13 AM
Here is the theme park's official website:
http://cmwv.wildescape.com/index.htm