http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2466/pc100005ga4.jpg

thanks to miamisuncity for the pics

westsider
Dec 12, 2006, 12:28 AM
Fantastic!

Ex-Ithacan
Dec 12, 2006, 12:32 AM
Holy hootchie mama. Is that Dubai? ;) :D

Nice find Bob. Miami looks quite busy in those pics. Thanks.

toog05
Dec 12, 2006, 1:16 AM
Miami, a mini-Dubai!

LouisianaRush
Dec 12, 2006, 1:43 AM
No Dubai is a mini Miami. ;-)

Sacto
Dec 12, 2006, 3:04 AM
Miami still has a long way to Dubai...you gotta face it.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 12, 2006, 3:05 AM
I just came in my pants.

Coldrsx
Dec 12, 2006, 5:50 AM
mambai....

Urbanguy
Dec 12, 2006, 6:11 AM
Dayum! Great find Bob! :D

Jularc
Dec 12, 2006, 6:27 AM
I just came in my pants.

LOL! :haha:

Wow Go Miami!

mSeattle
Dec 12, 2006, 7:24 AM
That looks great.

He11razor
Dec 12, 2006, 2:20 PM
The real question is.. did you go into Varadero Liquors?

Trantor
Dec 12, 2006, 2:52 PM
imho, one of the least interesting skylines in US. Sorry :(

Miami skyline somehow resembles Panamá City. But Panamá has a better skyline...

I dont understand the irony of the "crazy 3rd world city". Ok, there was that republican who called Miami third world, but is the thread trying to show Miami is far from being 3rd world? (i think its obvious Miami is not 3rd world, but skyline pics wont serve the purpose of showing so...)

bunt_q
Dec 12, 2006, 3:40 PM
Yes, awesome city... on behalf of all the Colorado forumers I have to apologize for that cockbite Tom Tancredo... thankfully, I don't live in his district (we have some forumers who do though, but I won't name names :))

Trantor
Dec 12, 2006, 3:41 PM
even if they live in his district, doesnt mean they voted for Tancredo, right?

LSyd
Dec 12, 2006, 4:51 PM
damn.

-

Buckeye Native 001
Dec 12, 2006, 4:53 PM
Miami! :tup:

Amanita
Dec 12, 2006, 4:57 PM
I'm jealous..I WANT some Tower cranes, dammit.

Complex01
Dec 13, 2006, 8:29 PM
Build it Up...

:yes:

zerokarma
Dec 13, 2006, 8:43 PM
Good shot

cabasse
Dec 13, 2006, 8:48 PM
I just came in my pants.

jive bond gasm 007???

that can't be an american city... nahhhh. what a boom it's going through though.

boden
Dec 13, 2006, 11:44 PM
You gotta love all those utility poles...I know I do.

glowrock
Dec 14, 2006, 12:50 AM
Yes, awesome city... on behalf of all the Colorado forumers I have to apologize for that cockbite Tom Tancredo... thankfully, I don't live in his district (we have some forumers who do though, but I won't name names :))

If you were thinking about me, I was one of those people voting for Perlmutter, Brent... ;)

Aaron (Glowrock)

PS: Yes, Tancredo's a cockbite...

bobdreamz
Dec 14, 2006, 1:12 AM
^ haha Tancredo the douche bag will be in Miami tomorrow to speak at a Rotary Club meeting about immigration.

CONative
Dec 14, 2006, 1:46 AM
Tancredo's visit has been cancelled.

DetroitSky
Dec 14, 2006, 2:16 AM
Thats a lot of cranes...

newplace
Dec 31, 2006, 7:34 AM
Born and raised in Miami (Baptist hospital), lived in Miami springs now family lives in Boca. It is like a third world country down there. In the terms that there is no middle class and the very very poor serve the very very rich. I feel bad for the English speaking people because unless you’re educated, you have a hard time finding a job unless you speak the native language down there which isn't English. Miami is a large third world like city period. Its not pc to say so but who cares.

Paintballer1708
Dec 31, 2006, 10:53 PM
Miami does remind me a lot of Dubai. Miami is just a bit greener.

SLC Projects
Dec 31, 2006, 10:56 PM
Makes me want to move to Miami after seeing those pics with all those new towers poping up. :yes:

architect1
Dec 31, 2006, 11:40 PM
wow I new miami was crazy but not that much cranage. Nice

skyscraperfan23
Jan 1, 2007, 2:55 AM
Born and raised in Miami (Baptist hospital), lived in Miami springs now family lives in Boca. It is like a third world country down there. In the terms that there is no middle class and the very very poor serve the very very rich. I feel bad for the English speaking people because unless you’re educated, you have a hard time finding a job unless you speak the native language down there which isn't English. Miami is a large third world like city period. Its not pc to say so but who cares.

But don't worry things are gonna change.

RockHillJames
Jan 1, 2007, 4:19 AM
Mercy that's sweet.

Talk about evolution of a skyline.

SoFla951
Jan 1, 2007, 5:44 AM
Nice pics, personally I think the skyline is getting to long and sporadic, tons of construction EVERYWHERE but no cohesion, which I like. I think they rushed to get some new building codes with Miami 21 to control development, correct me if I am wrong, but its too late imo. One thing those pics don't show is that all those condos being built have been bought by investors or snowbirds so the desired result of people actually living in downtown miami isnt really happening. I was there a couple weeks ago and while the bayside and miami beach are lively downtown is dead and kinda dirty. It is third worldish is alot of areas, especially while driving down 95, but I think Miami will be very different ten years from now for the better. Miami has a long way to go compared to cities like SF, Boston, and New York but it has the potential.

rican_papi
Jan 1, 2007, 6:10 PM
I think Miami need to build more tall brick buildings really man getting out of place for when i look at it but still nice don't give me wrong but it need more color in it skyline everything starting to blend with all that gray but I only see short buildings that are brick buildings???.....

rican_papi
Jan 1, 2007, 6:12 PM
Miami does remind me a lot of Dubai. Miami is just a bit greener.I don't like Dubai its not my type but i like how is in Panama City is!!!

Stratosphere
Jan 1, 2007, 7:18 PM
Miami does remind me a lot of Dubai. Miami is just a bit greener.
...and way sexier.

DGM
Jan 1, 2007, 8:06 PM
I think Miami need to build more tall brick buildings really man getting out of place for when i look at it but still nice don't give me wrong but it need more color in it skyline everything starting to blend with all that gray but I only see short buildings that are brick buildings???.....

All of the buildings in Miami are concrete because of stringent hurricane related building codes. Don't count on seeing any tall brick buildings in Miami any time soon.

Amanita
Jan 4, 2007, 5:31 PM
Holy freaking crap, all those cranes!! Too bad moving to the US is such a bitch, otherwise I might just pack up and go..I want a crane of my own, dammit..

ColDayMan
Jan 4, 2007, 7:13 PM
Nice!

phillyskyline
Jan 4, 2007, 7:19 PM
Me likes, thanx for the pics!

BuildCTPlace
Jan 5, 2007, 1:57 AM
Is Miami is a third world city? That's kind of subjective. Instead I would like to list cities that have a higher percentage of the population speaking English than Miami:

1. Berlin
2. Frankfurt
3. Copenhagen
4. Stockholm
5. Oslo
6. Munich
7. Geneva
8. Singapore
9. Mumbai
10. Hong Kong
etc.

BuildCTPlace
Jan 5, 2007, 2:06 AM
Is Miami is a third world city? That's kind of subjective. Instead I would like to list cities that have a higher percentage of the population speaking English than Miami:

1. Berlin
2. Frankfurt
3. Copenhagen
4. Stockholm
5. Oslo
6. Munich
7. Geneva
8. Singapore
9. Mumbai
10. Hong Kong
etc.

crisp444
Jan 5, 2007, 2:53 AM

1. Berlin
2. Frankfurt
3. Copenhagen
4. Stockholm
5. Oslo
6. Munich
7. Geneva
8. Singapore
9. Mumbai
10. Hong Kong
etc.

At first glance, this seems bogus. Please post a source, because until you do, I really don't believe this.

crisp444
Jan 5, 2007, 3:00 AM
[QUOTE=newplace;2538993]It is like a third world country down there. In the terms that there is no middle class and the very very poor serve the very very rich. IQUOTE]

What BS. Most of Miami-Dade county is middle class. Not rich, not poor. Who buys the $300,000-600,000 homes througout the county? Oh yeah... the middle class. The rich and the poor are a minority here; the middle class is the majority. Visit this website and input various zipcodes in the county and you will see what I am saying: http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

mthq
Jan 5, 2007, 8:25 AM
awesome find, Bob!

PhillyRising
Jan 5, 2007, 2:41 PM
The Miami skyline has literally doubled in size since I was last there in 2002. I assume most of those buildings are residential?

bobdreamz
Jan 5, 2007, 4:50 PM
^ yes they are mostly residential but there are office towers going up downtown as well

newplace
Jan 7, 2007, 4:56 AM
[QUOTE=newplace;2538993]It is like a third world country down there. In the terms that there is no middle class and the very very poor serve the very very rich. IQUOTE]

What BS. Most of Miami-Dade county is middle class. Not rich, not poor. Who buys the $300,000-600,000 homes througout the county? Oh yeah... the middle class. The rich and the poor are a minority here; the middle class is the majority. Visit this website and input various zipcodes in the county and you will see what I am saying: http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

If anyone else has the time, I would say give this factfinder thing a go go. Its pretty good, my statement earlier was right. Miami Dade county per-capita is poor, very very poor and very very rich. Find some zip codes and punch them in add up some percentages you'll see what i mean. Also these links tell a similar story.

http://www.collinscenter.org/publications/publications_show.htm?doc_id=170080

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/15903770.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?For-the-Middle-Class,-Miami-is-a-Paradise-Lost&id=350248

A-town
Jan 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
That's just insane, so much building.

SteveD
Jan 7, 2007, 8:01 PM
Awesome pics! Atlanta is going through a historic building boom too, but we don't have nearly that many cranes in the air...just a testament to the unreal amount of construction in progress in Miami!

pj3000
Jan 8, 2007, 12:11 AM
Miami is not a Third World city as has been popularly assumed by many on this thread. To hold that it is the "3rd world" just because a large portion of the population are not native English speakers is terribly ignorant.

BillM
Jan 8, 2007, 12:33 AM
Miami is not a Third World city as has been popularly assumed by many on this thread. To hold that it is the "3rd world" just because a large portion of the population are not native English speakers is terribly ignorant.
There is definately an exotic 3rd world feel to Miami.

SoFla951
Jan 8, 2007, 12:56 AM
Just to cover myself I never said in my post that Miami is third world because most of its residents are not native. My opinion is based on strictly on my experiences in the many impoverished, downtrodden, and unkept areas in Miami. I have no problem with ppl speaking their native language. I am learning Spanish right now and enjoying it. I think it makes Miami unique. I must say though that I think that all immigrants should at least be trying to learn English because I think it is vitally necessary thing to be successful in this country and also helps them be incorporated into American society. If I moved to a country where they spoke another language I would try to learn the language.

newplace
Jan 8, 2007, 4:28 PM

English is my 2nd language and I grew up in Miami. (Downtown is the exception in the statement I’m about to make) the infrastructure in Miami is 3rd world highways, gov. buildings ect... The middle class is moving out of the area at an alarming rate. Their numbers are small to begin with. The level of education college grad, and skilled workers are a huge cause for concern in Miami and has been for years. that’s all I’m saying… 3rd world-ish, 3rd world like city. is that so bad to say. Miami as a city was bankrupt in 99' 00. I think ignorance would be not knowing the facts. I do live in Canada know because of my work but i grew up in south Florida and my family still lives there. We have been saying this for years, its really nothing new.

pj3000
Jan 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
English is my 2nd language and I grew up in Miami. (Downtown is the exception in the statement I’m about to make) the infrastructure in Miami is 3rd world highways, gov. buildings ect... The middle class is moving out of the area at an alarming rate. Their numbers are small to begin with. The level of education college grad, and skilled workers are a huge cause for concern in Miami and has been for years. that’s all I’m saying… 3rd world-ish, 3rd world like city. is that so bad to say. Miami as a city was bankrupt in 99' 00. I think ignorance would be not knowing the facts. I do live in Canada know because of my work but i grew up in south Florida and my family still lives there. We have been saying this for years, its really nothing new.

Well I also lived in Miami for a number of years and we obviously have far different outlooks on the city as a whole. Just to comment on your points: if Miami's highways and government buildings make Miami 3rd world, then the highways and buildings in PA, NY, and NJ (among other states) must make those states somewhere around the 5th world or so. As for the middle class moving out at an "alarming rate"... Moving out of the city proper, probably, owing to how ridiculously expensive living in nice areas of the city has become. It has become one of the least affordable cities to live in in the US. Case in point: my friend bought his 2 bdrm home in the Roads area near Brickell in 1997 for $190,000... last year it was assessed at over $800,000. The suburbs to the west, north, and south continue to grow at a rapid pace - that's where your middle class is (just like anywhere else in the USA - the suburbs).

A highly-educated, skilled workforce is a concern for just about every city; especially industrial cities in the Northeast and Midwest. Does this make Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc. 3rd World? And as for the "bankruptcy" claim... do you realize how many cities across the nation are considered financially distressed or bankrupt still? Miami has more than emerged from that financial mess and did so without consolidation of the city and Dade county as was proposed at the time.

I realize that Miami serves as one of the largest ports of entry for immigrants, especially those from various nations of Latin America and the Caribbean (places many consider to be developing countries or "3rd world"). Does this add to giving Miami an exotic feel and a mix of cultures that are not present anywhere else in the US? Yes. Does the majority of the city speak Spanish? Yes. Do a high percentage of these immigrants lack higher education. Yes. Do these factors warrant that the entire city of Miami be termed "3rd world"? No.

And if one really thinks about it, if Miami is "3rd World", then why is it home to:
- one of the nation's most important financial centers
- one of the nation's busiest ports
- numerous international consulates
- a private, research university that is among the nation's best (UM)
- the largest medical center in the southeast and one of the largest in the nation (UM/Jackson Memorial)
- many corporate HQs for multinational corporations
- an enormous, thriving international tourism destination
- a higher percentage of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, etc. than I've seen anywhere
- one of the wealthiest "suburbs" in the US - Coral Gables

If one has ever been to a true "3rd World" place, then it's more than apparent that Miami does not fall into this category.

newplace
Jan 9, 2007, 2:47 AM
Well I also lived in Miami for a number of years and we obviously have far different outlooks on the city as a whole. Just to comment on your points: if Miami's highways and government buildings make Miami 3rd world, then the highways and buildings in PA, NY, and NJ (among other states) must make those states somewhere around the 5th world or so. As for the middle class moving out at an "alarming rate"... Moving out of the city proper, probably, owing to how ridiculously expensive living in nice areas of the city has become. It has become one of the least affordable cities to live in in the US. Case in point: my friend bought his 2 bdrm home in the Roads area near Brickell in 1997 for $190,000... last year it was assessed at over $800,000. The suburbs to the west, north, and south continue to grow at a rapid pace - that's where your middle class is (just like anywhere else in the USA - the suburbs).

A highly-educated, skilled workforce is a concern for just about every city; especially industrial cities in the Northeast and Midwest. Does this make Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc. 3rd World? And as for the "bankruptcy" claim... do you realize how many cities across the nation are considered financially distressed or bankrupt still? Miami has more than emerged from that financial mess and did so without consolidation of the city and Dade county as was proposed at the time.

I realize that Miami serves as one of the largest ports of entry for immigrants, especially those from various nations of Latin America and the Caribbean (places many consider to be developing countries or "3rd world"). Does this add to giving Miami an exotic feel and a mix of cultures that are not present anywhere else in the US? Yes. Does the majority of the city speak Spanish? Yes. Do a high percentage of these immigrants lack higher education. Yes. Do these factors warrant that the entire city of Miami be termed "3rd world"? No.

And if one really thinks about it, if Miami is "3rd World", then why is it home to:
- one of the nation's most important financial centers
- one of the nation's busiest ports
- numerous international consulates
- a private, research university that is among the nation's best (UM)
- the largest medical center in the southeast and one of the largest in the nation (UM/Jackson Memorial)
- many corporate HQs for multinational corporations
- an enormous, thriving international tourism destination
- a higher percentage of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, etc. than I've seen anywhere
- one of the wealthiest "suburbs" in the US - Coral Gables

If one has ever been to a true "3rd World" place, then it's more than apparent that Miami does not fall into this category.

Points well made. I agree with you on all of them except for the fact that an extreme high cost of living in an area like Miami is what moves the middle class away, not draws them in. I think the question is what salary defines a middle class family or a single adult these days. This is a debate in microeconomics of south florida. I'm not an expert but you made such a good argument i tend to agree with much of it. on a side not, homestead, florida city, kendal, cutler ridge area are all included in the argument i was making, pretty much miami-dade county as a whole.

harls
Jan 9, 2007, 5:37 PM
Holy shit.. nice pics! Never knew it was that booming.. now I do!

ltsmotorsport
Jan 9, 2007, 9:19 PM
I knew Miami was going crazy, but those pics really put it into perspective.

pj3000
Jan 9, 2007, 10:38 PM
Points well made. I agree with you on all of them except for the fact that an extreme high cost of living in an area like Miami is what moves the middle class away, not draws them in. I think the question is what salary defines a middle class family or a single adult these days. This is a debate in microeconomics of south florida. I'm not an expert but you made such a good argument i tend to agree with much of it. on a side not, homestead, florida city, kendal, cutler ridge area are all included in the argument i was making, pretty much miami-dade county as a whole.

I agree that defintion of middle class has beome blurred and is an economic issue that I am not schooled in. I feel that what constitutes the "middle class" differs for different cities and that the amounts and limits of salary ranges are not easily characterized, especially in a city like Miami.

Domo Arigato
Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
What exactly is "holy shit"? Is it a mushroom growing on cow dung?

Just curious.

boohiggy lizard

SLO
Jan 10, 2007, 2:40 AM
I've been in Miami once a year for the past 8 years, and it has been incredible to watch. While the pictures are incredible, it doesnt do the boom justice....

Miami is a great American city with a latin heart, fun place to visit.

Prahaboheme
Jan 10, 2007, 3:48 AM
^You are right, there are even more midrise and infill developments u/c all over the city it is hard to keep track.

JoLeMaMa
Feb 1, 2007, 7:49 PM
Wow, and I thought Atlanta was shooting up!!!

bobdreamz
Feb 4, 2007, 1:43 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/378005826_f371d326a4_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/377961963_07f93c2c1e_b.jpg

three of our newest 500+ footers :

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/378003075_94ce3b4a79_b.jpg

new condos north of the CBD in the Arts District:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1127/dsc2904ue0.jpg

topped off Opera Tower :

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/377936058_02722fa228_b.jpg

all pics by jamesgood 72

Charles23
Feb 4, 2007, 2:06 AM
What is the status of Ten Museum Park? It looks like it is finished. I don't drive that far north too much lately, doing lots of work in Dadeland actually.

Chuck