PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Architects

Pompuss
Dec 8, 2006, 4:51 AM
Hey everyone,
I am an architecture student and have a huge interest in the field of transportation, airports and train stations mainly. I have especially enjoyed the recent post about the European high speed network and stations. What I’m thinking about now is architectural firms that do transportation projects, either as a significant part of their portfolio or a little, but they do interesting work. In the US Leo Daly (Numerous Airports), Cesar Pelli (Washington National), and maybe SOM (San Francisco, Toronto, Hong Kong Airport) come to mind. In Europe I think of Norman Foster (Bilbao Subway Station), Richard Rogers (Stansted Airport Terminal), Calatrava (Train Stations), and a project or two of Renzo Piano (Kansai Airport). I know there is a ton of firms in Asia. If you know of some outstanding work please comment and pictures would be great. Thanks for your help.

micro
Dec 8, 2006, 6:21 PM
On this page (http://mic-ro.com/metro/metroart.html) are pictures of examples of interesting subway station architecture. Where available, information about the architects or architectural firms involved are provided next to the photos.

Pompuss
Dec 9, 2006, 8:04 AM
Great, Thanks, I didn't know about this site.

bmfarley
Dec 9, 2006, 9:24 PM
Hey everyone,
I am an architecture student and have a huge interest in the field of transportation, airports and train stations mainly. I have especially enjoyed the recent post about the European high speed network and stations. What I’m thinking about now is architectural firms that do transportation projects, either as a significant part of their portfolio or a little, but they do interesting work. In the US Leo Daly (Numerous Airports), Cesar Pelli (Washington National), and maybe SOM (San Francisco, Toronto, Hong Kong Airport) come to mind. In Europe I think of Norman Foster (Bilbao Subway Station), Richard Rogers (Stansted Airport Terminal), Calatrava (Train Stations), and a project or two of Renzo Piano (Kansai Airport). I know there is a ton of firms in Asia. If you know of some outstanding work please comment and pictures would be great. Thanks for your help.

I think you should consider transportation engineering firms. Parsons Brinkerhoff and Bechtel come to mind. In my opinion archetectural firms dabling in transportation facilities often confuse which should take precidence in design; function or form. Architects often land on 'form'. However, facilties don't work if function is not respected.