PDA

View Full Version : SEA ~ Developers scramble to meet apartment demand

mSeattle
Dec 6, 2006, 9:57 AM
http://www.djc.com/stories/images/20061206/OLIVIAN_web.jpg
The Olivian

Developers scramble to meet apartment demand
http://www.djc.com/news/re/11184611.html (Subscription)

The pace of construction is rising but one expert says it is still not enough.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
I hate to breach the topic, but they need more suburban apartments built, too. Badly. Not everyone wants to or can afford to live in a highrise apartment.

mhays
Dec 6, 2006, 9:02 PM
I want more suburban apartments too, preferably in dense urban village and suburban downtown locations. The tough part is that the math is questionable, since rents are still pretty low and construction costs have risen dramatically. For a lot of construction to happen in the suburbs, rents need to skyrocket first. That's not what you want to hear, but it's reality.

PS, Hanover says they're a 12/15 start. I've been waiting ever since the fence went up. I wonder if they have a building permit yet, or maybe they're just expecting to receive one.

mhays
Dec 6, 2006, 9:03 PM
PS, that's one sexy bitch.

blackc5
Dec 8, 2006, 2:53 AM
I really like the look of this building as well. This could be one kickass block in the future - Olive 8, Olivian and the 45-floor 8th and Pine building all right there. That is awesome density and should really help the retail core continue to expand. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Any idea how much setback there would be between the windows looking south from Olivian to those looking north from the 8th & Pine?

zappa
Dec 9, 2006, 12:07 PM
Jesus Christ! An architect actually put a curve and a bit of roof treatment on a building...Hallelujiah!

mSeattle
Dec 9, 2006, 6:31 PM
I hate to breach the topic, but they need more suburban apartments built, too. Badly. Not everyone wants to or can afford to live in a highrise apartment.

Aren't there some lowrise apartments going up in the Cascadia neighborhood a few blocks away? Also, Capitol Hill is putting up apartments, and stuff going up in Greenlake and in the U.D., oh and *Ballard*. Rainier Valley could see some more development. I don't know what's going on in Georgetown/West Seattle.

mSeattle
Dec 9, 2006, 6:34 PM
Jesus Christ! An architect actually put a curve and a bit of roof treatment on a building...Hallelujiah!

Yea, that's my feeling too.

CTroyMathis
Dec 9, 2006, 6:43 PM
PS, that's one sexy bitch.

Ha! Yes, indeed it is.

seaskyfan
Dec 9, 2006, 9:25 PM
Great design. I like how they broke up the Olive Way facade.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 10, 2006, 6:01 AM
Aren't there some lowrise apartments going up in the Cascadia neighborhood a few blocks away? Also, Capitol Hill is putting up apartments, and stuff going up in Greenlake and in the U.D., oh and *Ballard*. Rainier Valley could see some more development. I don't know what's going on in Georgetown/West Seattle.
I said suburban apartments (like, the Eastside).

If your job is on the Eastside it's not very practical to live in Seattle. But aside from some very expensive stuff going up in downtown Bellevue, there's very little apartment construction around here. Lots of condos, but few if any apartments.

77e
Dec 14, 2006, 10:41 PM
I don't know what's going on in Georgetown/West Seattle.

Haven't you heard? We stopped building things in West Seattle in 1986.

Georgetown looks the same -- lots of warehouses.

Hoodrat
Jan 9, 2007, 2:35 AM
Bump!!!!!

James Bond Agent 007
Jan 9, 2007, 3:10 AM
OK hoodrat, enough with the bumps.

Black Box
Jan 9, 2007, 5:32 AM
Columbia City needs more apartments. I'm hoping to see more development all along upper Rainier Avenue (north of 23rd Avenue South to Jackson Street), in the core of Columbia City and towards MLK Way South, from Rainier Avenue South to Orcas Street. Anyone have updates on the Goodwill site? There is a nice project going up in the commercial district of Columbia City. I do not recall the name, but they are live-work studios and lofts. A handsome townhouse project was just completed in Mt. Baker. I hope for more attractive infill similar to the Mt. Baker and Columbia City projects. Forgive me for being spare with the details, but I guess if I had a camera I could inform you all of what's shaping up in Seattle's southern reaches.

mSeattle
Jan 9, 2007, 5:41 AM
Where in Mt. Baker is this townhouse project? How many homes? I was in Columbia City in November but didn't get to look around much.

Black Box
Jan 9, 2007, 5:46 AM
It is located on a bluff on 31st Avenue South, oh, I cannot remember the cross streets, but if you are in the area, take Jackson Street to 31st, hang a right and meander around the bend towards the small commercial area. Have you heard of the Sweet and Savory Cafe? It's just due north of that strip. It's on the right side. The I-90 Mt. Baker tunnel is just under this area.

mhays
Jan 9, 2007, 8:48 PM
I've seen dozens of SE Seattle townhouse proposals in DPD. I haven't seen tons of construction though, at least on the way to my parents' place on the hill above Seward Park.

Black Box
Jan 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
Where in Mt. Baker is this townhouse project? How many homes? I was in Columbia City in November but didn't get to look around much.

It is located on 31st Avenue South, just north of Atlantic Street, right on the bluff there. Great views, Space Needle and all.

mSeattle
Jan 10, 2007, 6:38 PM
Ok thanks. Will see if I can get by there to check them out.