PDA

View Full Version : So what does everyone do?

Pages : [1] 2

CCF
Dec 5, 2006, 6:59 AM
I'm a student at the U of R.

skrish
Dec 5, 2006, 7:03 AM
4th year business student at the U of C in my last year *knocks on wood*

SHOFEAR
Dec 5, 2006, 7:05 AM
3rd year Civil Engineering student at the U of A.

Boris2k7
Dec 5, 2006, 7:19 AM
2nd Year Urban Studies student at the UofC

Hardhatdan
Dec 5, 2006, 7:21 AM
Professional asshole.

dubiousmike
Dec 5, 2006, 7:24 AM
GIS Technician.

I moonlight as a depressed, cynical alcoholic.

drew
Dec 5, 2006, 7:26 AM
P.Eng. Completing a masters in structural engineering by the end of this year come hell or high water...

I just accepted a job at a small consulting firm in the city that starts in the New Year.

mersar
Dec 5, 2006, 7:35 AM
3rd year Computer Science/Economics at U of C, all the while working as a computer tech for Social Science at U of C

squeezied
Dec 5, 2006, 9:42 AM
1st year UBC engineering freshman!! to my dismay, im doing terribly

1ajs
Dec 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
doing some temp work demolition and moving furniture for 1 more day then i am out of work again then its back to job hunting

harls
Dec 5, 2006, 3:30 PM
I'm a journalism news type-guy.

circle33
Dec 5, 2006, 3:36 PM
Geophysical type guy. Collect, QC & map airborne geophysical data. My dream is be a snow plow driver. One day.

Greco Roman
Dec 5, 2006, 3:53 PM
I'm a student in my 7th year at the U of A doing a double major in environmental sciences. Oh God, I need to finish school like you would not believe.

CorporateWhore
Dec 5, 2006, 4:13 PM
Art Director of I.D. Magazine

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Dec 5, 2006, 4:17 PM
3D Lighter at Nelvana, but I'm also a modeler and texturer.

circle33
Dec 5, 2006, 4:28 PM
/\ Are you guys still on Jefferson.? My old company sold 47 Jefferson to Nelvana and moved to Richmond Hill. I never forgave either of them.

SteelTown
Dec 5, 2006, 4:36 PM
Second year in Biotechnology. Currently on my co-op term.

Coldrsx
Dec 5, 2006, 8:44 PM
Mcdonald's burger flipper

caltrane74
Dec 5, 2006, 11:09 PM
Advertising.

On the weekend Im a dancing machine at the club.

Dalreg
Dec 5, 2006, 11:28 PM
Wow I'm one of very few who actually do physical work for a living. I'm a shop foreman for a farm machinery manufacturer.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Dec 5, 2006, 11:34 PM
Architectural Technologist working for a small residential design firm.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Dec 5, 2006, 11:44 PM
Architectural Technologist working for a small residential design firm.

waterloowarrior
Dec 6, 2006, 12:01 AM
2nd/3rd year Planning student at the University of Waterloo

Xelebes
Dec 6, 2006, 4:16 AM
Packer Operator at a cement factory. Nothing like lifting 60 lbs, 3 000 times a day.

Dalreg
Dec 6, 2006, 4:20 AM
Packer Operator at a cement factory. Nothing like lifting 60 lbs, 3 000 times a day.

Yeah have to love that repetition. For me it is an impact gun tightening bolts hundreds of times a day. Pay is good but the work sucks.

Beltliner
Dec 6, 2006, 4:25 AM
Full-time student (BA English/Russian) making a run at grad school, part-time municipal affairs gadfly :jester: , part-time research consultant, and full-time babysitter to my beautiful, beloved wife AKA world's biggest four-year-old (typical weekday morning conversations out of a Denis Leary monologue--"Close that door! Gimme that bag of Oreos! You're not having Oreos for breakfast! Check your e-mail at work! Give me that bag of Oreos!"). :haha:

graupner
2nd year mathematics and actuaries student at universite de montreal. I have passed 2 exams and getting ready for 3 more. I am starting to work for an insurance company this summer.

e909
2nd year electrical engineering student @ the u of a

The Jabroni
Dec 6, 2006, 4:26 AM
First year in my three and a half years into Electronic Engineering Technology at Red River College in Winnipeg.

I also hump vegetables and fruits. Seriously, I'm a produce clerk working my ass off more than what I should for less.

West_aust
Dec 6, 2006, 4:28 AM
1st year student, msc in finance at Université Sherbrooke

Boris2k7
Dec 6, 2006, 4:32 AM
Whoa, it's Beltliner. I remember seeing you way back at a CUI Meet (in April or so?). You finally made a post! :yes:

habsfan
Dec 6, 2006, 4:39 AM
i work in Corporate Real Estate. I lease office space in Downtown Montreal and pretty much anywhere else my clients might need my help! i get to see the insides of all the skyscrapers!hehehe!

Xelebes
Dec 6, 2006, 4:48 AM
Yeah have to love that repetition. For me it is an impact gun tightening bolts hundreds of times a day. Pay is good but the work sucks.

I actually like the repetition. Harder to screw up on the job.

Beltliner
Dec 6, 2006, 5:21 AM
Yeah, it's been a while, Boris. Lurking, patching up with the wifey-poo, settling into the new place (could start that story with a "Call me Ishmael" or two.... ;) ), getting back to school, conjuring barmy schemes to make Calgary a better place--you know, the usual. And how are things with you?

Boris2k7
Dec 6, 2006, 5:32 AM
LOL, it's frantic on this end... hopping from one project/exam to the next... otherwise okay. :)

Smron
Dec 6, 2006, 5:39 AM
Electrician

vanman
Dec 6, 2006, 5:47 AM
I'm a longshoreman, I work at the port.

IntotheWest
Dec 6, 2006, 5:59 AM
IT Business Consultant for the past 10...or so...years - with a focus on CRM in the Cdn Telcos and FIs.

Oh...and part-time watercolour/acrylic artist (part of the "retirement" plan).

malek
Dec 6, 2006, 6:39 AM
software engineer tired of being one.

my life saver is weekend nightlife photography.

Snashcan
Dec 6, 2006, 6:46 AM
3rd yr BAA Student of Integrated Land Planning Technologies (Urban planning and Landscape Architecture combined). I'll be the in the first graduating class of this program.

Also have a 3 year diploma in Landscape Design

Both at Fanshawe college in London

In the summer i work at a Landscape Architecture/Urban Planning firm in Burlington.

1ajs
Dec 6, 2006, 6:57 AM
now i am out of a job back to full time hobyist photography and job hunting...

trueviking
Dec 6, 2006, 7:20 AM
I just accepted a job at a small consulting firm in the city that starts in the New Year.

congrats...which one?

i'm an architect....

i am also a part time advocate for the abolition of capital letters and proper punctuation.

trueviking
Dec 6, 2006, 7:22 AM

seriously?...wow, awesome....that is a great magazine....how did you land that gig?

biggiebear
Dec 6, 2006, 7:31 AM
I handle chain account sales for a major tobacco company, and no you can't have any free smokes.:D

CorporateWhore
Dec 6, 2006, 3:01 PM
seriously?...wow, awesome....that is a great magazine....how did you land that gig?

well, I'm friends with the Editor in Chief and previous Art Director at I.D, so when he decided to leave to start his studio, they asked if i wanted to take over. being in the right place at the right time i guess!

CorporateWhore
Dec 6, 2006, 3:02 PM
Wow I'm one of very few who actually do physical work for a living. I'm a shop foreman for a farm machinery manufacturer.

I thought the foreman just stands there bossing around all the other people who actually do the physical work. ;)

keninhalifax
Dec 6, 2006, 3:12 PM
4th year Geography student at Carleton; applying for Masters in Urban Planning (UofT, McGill). I also work for the family travel business, but not for much longer.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Dec 6, 2006, 4:45 PM
/\ Are you guys still on Jefferson.? My old company sold 47 Jefferson to Nelvana and moved to Richmond Hill. I never forgave either of them.

My building is on Atlantic, the other is on Liberty.

MolsonExport
Dec 6, 2006, 4:52 PM
Professor of Marketing (Western). Also, father/husband.

swilley
Dec 6, 2006, 4:52 PM
Teacher

valleyflyfisher
Dec 6, 2006, 5:08 PM
Tree Faller...TIMBERRRRR!:)

West Coast of BC

Lyle
Dec 6, 2006, 5:24 PM
Journalist, communications advisor for a union federation, communications consultant, father, 3rd base softball, Brotherhood fan, sore neck from counting stories in skyscrapers.

dougtheengineer
Dec 6, 2006, 5:43 PM
4th year civil engineering student at Queen's University.....graduating in May, anyone want to hire me?

drew
Dec 6, 2006, 6:22 PM
^ come to Winnipeg. From the experience of my recent job hunt here, I can only assume that I am the only engineer with some amount of qualifications that hasn't already packed up for Alberta.

Bigtime
Dec 6, 2006, 6:31 PM
Senior Buyer and Integrity Manager for a retail/wholesale Building Supply company here in Calgary.

I'm also a Board of Directors member for the WRLA(Western Retail Lumber Association), and for my condo board.

CCF
Dec 6, 2006, 7:12 PM
Professor of Marketing (Western). Also, father/husband.

If you don't mind me asking...

What sort of payscale range is there for a proffessor? assistant prof.? associate prof?

Do you like what you do?

I hope to one day become one....but it's obviously hard work and a long ways away.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Dec 6, 2006, 7:13 PM

Sorry, they do have that building as well.

IntotheWest
Dec 6, 2006, 8:11 PM
^ come to Winnipeg. From the experience of my recent job hunt here, I can only assume that I am the only engineer with some amount of qualifications that hasn't already packed up for Alberta.

One of my friends from Winnipeg moved BACK to Winnipeg a couple years ago from Calgary for a role at Earthtech...you're not alone. I have at least 3 other engineer friends working in the Peg and have no intention of leaving (one at Agra, and another at Standard).

bigcanuck
Dec 6, 2006, 8:20 PM
Application Development Manager for large telco.

ungodlycrosscheck
Dec 6, 2006, 8:26 PM
Senior consultant/lobbyist with a "boutique" lobby firm

Greco Roman
Dec 6, 2006, 8:32 PM
One of my friends from Winnipeg moved BACK to Winnipeg a couple years ago from Calgary for a role at Earthtech...you're not alone. I have at least 3 other engineer friends working in the Peg and have no intention of leaving (one at Agra, and another at Standard).

This is not shocking news to me at all.

Plenty of people who moved to Alberta are now considering going back to where they came from (myself included) for varying reasons. It's just a fact of life. I guess the whole "grass is greener on the other side" saying works for some, but not for everyone.

TheMeltyMan
Dec 6, 2006, 8:36 PM
I'm a surveyor and a 2nd year urban planning student.

drew
Dec 6, 2006, 9:18 PM

Plenty of people who moved to Alberta are now considering going back to where they came from (myself included) for varying reasons. It's just a fact of life. I guess the whole "grass is greener on the other side" saying works for some, but not for everyone.

I'm not so much arguing about the grass is greener, but it's just a lack of skilled professionals to fill all the openings here in Winnipeg. It was really obvious when I was searching for jobs. No one even asked for references...

In the engineering field, the differential in pay between provinces isn't huge, and your bang for your buck in unsurpased in Winnipeg.

jeffwhit
Dec 6, 2006, 9:39 PM
I'm a professional musician.

bc2mb
Dec 6, 2006, 9:40 PM
journalist

kool maudit
Dec 6, 2006, 9:56 PM
now i am out of a job back to full time hobyist photography and job hunting...

is photography your field?

a friend of mine is thinking of moving to winnipeg, but i hear it is sort of hard to find work there.

what sort of thing are you looking for?

harls
Dec 6, 2006, 10:13 PM

my brother's a mech. eng. in Winnipeg. Bastard gets to go to Australia once a year for 2 weeks, all expenses paid.

why didn't I go into engineering?

AuxTown
Dec 6, 2006, 10:22 PM
I'm a 3rd year medical student at uOttawa

samne
Dec 6, 2006, 10:28 PM
I work for a consulting engineering co. in the 'burbs. A jack-of-all trades with the rest of my time.

Only The Lonely..
Dec 6, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'm a U of Wpg computer science / business student..

I work part time at an architecture firm in town, and am a compulsive gambler / horse player.

God, I love the track..There's just something so magical about entrusting your hard earned tuition to a midget and a barnyard animal.

salvius
Dec 6, 2006, 10:47 PM
Currently a paper pusher for an insurance company but will be going back to school next September for an M.A. and not a moment too soon!

trueviking
Dec 6, 2006, 11:56 PM
a friend of mine is thinking of moving to winnipeg, but i hear it is sort of hard to find work there.

there's jobs for everyone in winnipeg!....you could get a new one every day if that was your wish...the jobs here fall from the sky like snowflakes in a january blizzard.

i've started and quit three different jobs already this week, and its only wednesday.

:D

Arriviste
Dec 7, 2006, 12:13 AM

Wow. I pick up every issue. I really liked the "Running on Empty" piece in the Sept/Oct issue. Nice work, and if you ever have a spot for an intern with a fine art degree let me know!

What do I do? I am a fine art student majoring in photo and drawing. Currently I am considering taking 1 more year of undergrad to get a minor in architecture. I'm going on to grad school to study architecture.
Other than that, I work at a store on Stephen Ave, and keep busy within the art community.

Rusty van Reddick
Dec 7, 2006, 12:23 AM
If you don't mind me asking...

What sort of payscale range is there for a proffessor? assistant prof.? associate prof?

Do you like what you do?

I hope to one day become one....but it's obviously hard work and a long ways away.

CCF, I'm a professor too, sociology. University Affairs, the "industry paper" for higher ed in Canada, publishes surveys of academic pay (among other personnel issues) for every university in Canada as well as national/provincial averages.

A starting assistant professor in an arts/sciences discipline can expect to earn, on average, about $64,000/yr. Average for associate professors is in the mid-80s, and for full professors, around $105,000.

Of course these are averages and will vary (though generally not by much) from school to school, and some departments/faculties have higher pay- you can guess what these might be (engineering, business, etc), but it should be noted that the discrepancy between arts and professional faculties is not nearly as high in Canada as it is in the US. The last place I taught in the states saw an English prof starting at $30,000 a year whereas a business prof started at $70,000. I am not aware of this sort of inequality in Canada- which is good for English profs, of course. This is one reason why Canadian academic positions are so coveted by Americans. Salaries, for most of us in academia, are better in Canada. Of course this is not the case if you get hired at MIT or Stanford, but nobody realistically has much of a chance of getting those jobs, not when you compete with 300 other qualified applicants.

IntotheWest
Dec 7, 2006, 12:35 AM

I wasn't trying to sound shocked...it of course is a fact of life. I too have considered it recently, since most of my friends are still there, it really is a great city (grass is greener theory), and our house having increased about $200k in 3 years means we could live mortgage free...and my job would really allow me to pick where I want to live.

CCF
Dec 7, 2006, 12:50 AM
CCF, I'm a professor too, sociology. University Affairs, the "industry paper" for higher ed in Canada, publishes surveys of academic pay (among other personnel issues) for every university in Canada as well as national/provincial averages.

A starting assistant professor in an arts/sciences discipline can expect to earn, on average, about $64,000/yr. Average for associate professors is in the mid-80s, and for full professors, around $105,000.

Of course these are averages and will vary (though generally not by much) from school to school, and some departments/faculties have higher pay- you can guess what these might be (engineering, business, etc), but it should be noted that the discrepancy between arts and professional faculties is not nearly as high in Canada as it is in the US. The last place I taught in the states saw an English prof starting at $30,000 a year whereas a business prof started at $70,000. I am not aware of this sort of inequality in Canada- which is good for English profs, of course. This is one reason why Canadian academic positions are so coveted by Americans. Salaries, for most of us in academia, are better in Canada. Of course this is not the case if you get hired at MIT or Stanford, but nobody realistically has much of a chance of getting those jobs, not when you compete with 300 other qualified applicants.

Thank you for that.

Part of my intentions for starting this thread was to get some information about being a prof. Right after I asked this question though, there was coincedently an article in the Leader Post (Regina paper) regarding the pay for profs.

But again, thank you for the information.

ReginaGuy
Dec 7, 2006, 12:59 AM
I'm a student right now, taking civil engineering technology

WHY-T
Dec 8, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've just finished my undergrad in Civil Engineering at McGill this past summer and have now just begun an MEng at UofT in Civil Engineering (Transportation Engineering).

Jared
Dec 8, 2006, 3:28 AM
Engineering at UBC here.

RWin
Dec 8, 2006, 4:49 AM
Professional asshole.

At which law firm?

m0nkyman
Dec 8, 2006, 5:23 AM
I'm a Jeweller.
<= that's one of my family's two stores.

kool maudit
Dec 8, 2006, 6:10 AM
i work as an editor at a newspaper.

1ajs
Dec 8, 2006, 6:23 AM
is photography your field?

what sort of thing are you looking for?

somthing to do with drafting... photography is just a hobby i am doing to keep from geting board outa my mind

i probly could find a job if i looked harder...

also my resume i don't feel is up to par for drafting stuff but i have no clue how i would tayler it for that feild...

itom 987
Dec 8, 2006, 6:35 AM
Friday will be my last day working as a Graphic Production Supervisor.

Monday will be my first day working towards becoming a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker.

It's good to see my mega career change and job hunt come to a close. :)

Hardhatdan
Dec 8, 2006, 7:05 AM
^Hurry up and get good, I need to redo the heating system in my house!

Blitz
Dec 8, 2006, 3:34 PM
Currently a Master's student....starting in January I'll be a part-time professor in Manitoba.

jaydee
Dec 8, 2006, 4:14 PM
English teacher, even though I have a degree in physics and astronomy. Maybe one day I'll find a job in my field of study, but after I graduated from university, I didn't want to see any numbers or equations :) It's more of a hobby for me now, though.

trueviking
Dec 8, 2006, 6:08 PM
i work as an editor at a newspaper.

yes...you should be.

itom 987
Dec 8, 2006, 10:49 PM
^Hurry up and get good, I need to redo the heating system in my house!

Yes sir!

Wooster
Dec 8, 2006, 11:44 PM
Currently a graduate student at Queen's in Urban and Regional Planning. Will work as a professional planner in Calgary, perhaps go into development, potentially into civic politics later.

cornholio
Dec 9, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'm a longshoreman, I work at the port.

Best job ever:tup:

Personaly I feel sorry for people who go to school for years and end up geting average paid jobs where their stuck in cubicles and forced to work full time (no more no less) with limited vacations.

I though work for a shiping company(when i work), and am in the process of starting a business with my 2 bro's and one of our friends. Our vision "To become leading provider of software solutions that will power the new wave of web applications".

Lot of work but things are looking realy realy good now and we are just a few months away from launching.

Jay in Cowtown
Dec 9, 2006, 12:52 AM

I'm a Highway Maintenance Foreman (aka - Department of Holidays)... pretty much stress free job, just poker playing and coffee drinking... unless it's snowing!!!

biguc
Dec 9, 2006, 2:37 AM
Student at university of Manitoba. Double majoring in philosophy and economics, and doing well--probably more to my surprise than anyone else's.

Dalreg
Dec 9, 2006, 3:29 AM

Big change coming very soon. I am moving up the corporate ladder. Job title will be "Production Team Leader". I will now be the shop foremans supervisor. Best part is a move from small town Saskatchewan to sunny Perth, Australia! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

vanman
Dec 9, 2006, 11:14 PM
Best job ever:tup:

Personaly I feel sorry for people who go to school for years and end up geting average paid jobs where their stuck in cubicles and forced to work full time (no more no less) with limited vacations.

I though work for a shiping company(when i work), and am in the process of starting a business with my 2 bro's and one of our friends. Our vision "To become leading provider of software solutions that will power the new wave of web applications".

Lot of work but things are looking realy realy good now and we are just a few months away from launching.

What shipping company do you work for? what type of work is involved?

Greco Roman
Dec 9, 2006, 11:18 PM
Big change coming very soon. I am moving up the corporate ladder. Job title will be "Production Team Leader". I will now be the shop foremans supervisor. Best part is a move from small town Saskatchewan to sunny Perth, Australia! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Congrats ! :tup:

I have relatives down under, and am seriously considering fleeing North America myself, but only if the right opportunities present themselves.

boden
Dec 10, 2006, 3:24 PM
I am a Marine Artist. Here is a sample.
http://www.pbase.com/gaffer/image/36484437.jpg

Lucky 24
Dec 10, 2006, 4:21 PM
I work for TD Waterhouse...currently as an IRO and studying for the CFA at the moment.

Dalreg
Dec 10, 2006, 4:52 PM
Congrats ! :tup:

I have relatives down under, and am seriously considering fleeing North America myself, but only if the right opportunities present themselves.

For me my ship came in.

Long story short, the pay almost doubles, a house is provided free of charge, and a company vehicle is parked in the driveway. Not to mention a round trip ticket back to Canada every summer.

Call me crazy but can't pass that up!:koko:

Andy6
Dec 10, 2006, 5:10 PM
Student at university of Manitoba. Double majoring in philosophy and economics, and doing well--probably more to my surprise than anyone else's.

Wow...University of Manitoba philosophy. I'd hate to think where that could lead. Especially when combined with alcohol.

Are you studying David Hume? If so you can consult my great trilogy of masterpieces on the subject: in Hume Studies (Nov 04) and Journal of the History of Economic Thought (Sep 05) and British Journal for the History of Philosophy (next issue).

As for me, I'm a lawyer/writer who dabbles in the black arts of the history of philosophy.