PDA

View Full Version : What does R.O.C or Rest of Canada mean to you?

feepa
Nov 30, 2006, 3:29 AM
Salut, Excusez moi pour my english. Mon francais c'est terrib

Can someone from Quebec explain to me what R.O.C or Rest of Canada means and represents? I'm tired of hearing this phrase and not knowing what its meant to represent.

habsfan
Nov 30, 2006, 4:21 AM
Salut, Excusez moi pour my english. Mon francais c'est terrib

Can someone from Quebec explain to me what R.O.C or Rest of Canada means and represents? I'm tired of hearing this phrase and not knowing what its meant to represent.

it's quite simple...at least to me it is! It's the other 9 provinces and 3 territories!

Le Canada Anglais!

MTLskyline
Nov 30, 2006, 4:34 AM
R.O.C. takes a different definition depending on where you are.

Here, it would be everything outside Quebec's borders:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5704/mapcanadaquebeclq0.gif

I think this term is also often used in Toronto referring to the rest of Canada as well.

MolsonExport
Nov 30, 2006, 3:14 PM
ROQ= Rest of Quebec (outside Montreal)

Laurent
Nov 30, 2006, 4:18 PM
ROH = Rest Of Humanity -> everyone excluding oneself

ROU = Rest Of Universe -> everywhere in the Universe excluding the place you're standing/sitting/lying down on

for example, when I go to bed, I think to myself: "mmm, this bed is much more comfortable than the ROU." It's a way of putting things in perspective using precise technical terms.

elsonic
Nov 30, 2006, 4:19 PM
^ ROQ has never been used outside of this forum (the ROU)

and ROC means to me Honeymoon Suite and Ben Mulroney.

habsfan
Nov 30, 2006, 4:30 PM
ROU = Rest Of Universe -> everywhere in the Universe excluding the place you're standing/sitting/lying down on

Actually ROU means anything outside of Toronto...you know, TOronto being the Centre of the universe!;) :tup:

Doug
Nov 30, 2006, 4:32 PM
Everything east of Alberta Highway 2.

malek
Nov 30, 2006, 4:32 PM
heheheeh

kool maudit
Dec 1, 2006, 7:15 PM
sport sandals but no jester hats, lululemon yoga pants but no unnecessary scarves, eh but no hein, good sushi but shitty cheese, slurpee not sloche, one kiss not two, weird condescension/insecurity about america but not france, cold, neurotic films not cold, frenetic films, milk not cream, you know, canada.

MaThQc
Dec 1, 2006, 7:21 PM
ROC = by federalist ppl... and its not represent the english canada, 'cause they are french people in the rest of Canada.

When I talk about the rest of Canada, I used to say the Canada...

monctezuma
Dec 3, 2006, 12:58 AM
Legally speaking, rest of canada ROC is all of canada but quebec cuz we dont have the same private law system. Code Civile du Québec vs. Common Law for the ROC

feepa
Dec 8, 2006, 8:04 PM
Thank you all for your replies on this subject
I found this after I ask the question here, and for the most part, your comments seem to match what is defined here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_of_Canada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Rest of Canada)
Jump to: navigation, search

English Canada is a term used to describe either:

1. English-Canadians, a term for the English-speaking majority population of Canada.
2. The Canadian provinces which are majority anglophone. Today, this includes all of them other than Quebec.
3. English Canadian, in some historical contexts, is used to designate English-Canadians, Canadians of English origin (in contrast to Scottish-Canadians, Irish-Canadians etc.).
4. Among supporters of the two-nations theory, English-Canada is one of those two nations, the other being French Canada. English-Canada in this sense is often referred to either dismissively or ironically, depending on the speaker's point of view, as the "ROC" (Rest of Canada).

According to the 2001 Census of Canada, the population of English Canada is 25,246,220 using the first meaning, 22,513,455 using the second, and at least 5,978,875 using the third (the number of Canadians of English origin is likely much higher than 5.9 million, but 6.7 million people only reported their ethnicity as "Canadian", without saying from where their ancestors came).

malek
May 18, 2007, 1:43 PM
ROC:

From Maclean's

Montreal A Paradise For Pedophiles?
2007-05-18 06:21:11

An article in Maclean's magazine calls Montreal a paradise for pedophiles. According to Macleans correspondent Martin Patriquin, pedophiles don't feel persecuted here. He writes this is where they come to escape scrutiny, people like Richard Goldberg, Clermont Begin, Ian Hodgson and Robin Sharpe. Patriquin also says Montreal is home to Epifora, a company that provides hosting services to some of the most prominent pedophilia-related sites in North America, if not the world.

Guy Crémeux
May 18, 2007, 4:03 PM
R.est O.f C.rap

MolsonExport
May 18, 2007, 5:08 PM
How inspiring.

habsfan
May 18, 2007, 6:29 PM
R.est O.f C.rap

Let's not start a shit throwing contest!Please!:D

pscantland
May 18, 2007, 6:45 PM
for example, when I go to bed, I think to myself: "mmm, this bed is much more comfortable than the ROU." It's a way of putting things in perspective using precise technical terms.

:rolleyes: :haha: :haha:

ROFL

Rest of the floor... euh... Rolling on the floor laughing

pscantland
May 18, 2007, 6:53 PM
From Time
Toronto A Paradise For DP?

From NYP
Winnipeg a Paradise for MILF?

From MSNBC
Calgary Home of Penis Enlargement?

From Me
Is it supposed to be funny?

Kilgore Trout
May 18, 2007, 7:15 PM
^ ROQ has never been used outside of this forum (the ROU)

actually, i've seen it used in la presse a few times. in fact, in the early days of the election, i think alain dubuc used it in his column. maybe he reads the forum.

Kilgore Trout
May 18, 2007, 7:17 PM
by the way, the term ROC originated in quebec but it's now used by torontonians to refer to everywhere outside of the GTA.

someone123
May 18, 2007, 8:25 PM
Why don't the ancient Macleans magazines I read once every other year in a doctor's office have entertaining articles like that?

big W
May 19, 2007, 3:46 AM
I am not a Quebecor feepa but to me R.O.C. means anything in the 6 smaller provinces and the 3 territories. So there is British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and then ROC.