PDA

View Full Version : The Official PEI Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

braymondg
Mar 26, 2014, 1:20 AM
It's Final

as I said before,

the permit has been approved,

17-Mar-14
20 Babineau Avenue
New Canadian Tire Retail Store
Robin & Rotman Associates
7-Apr-14

:tup:

braymondg
Mar 26, 2014, 1:28 AM
APPROVED

Finally, after years of sitting empty, there may be life at this project.

21-Mar-14
194-198 Grafton street Commercial/Condo Building - Foundation Only
Phil O'Halloran
11-Apr-14

I wouldn't hold my breath though. The other O'Halloran project at the end of Richmond must hold the world record for the slowest condo development on earth, and it's still not finished.

The city should have a completion date for these projects.
Beyond ridiculous, if you ask me.

:yes:

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 26, 2014, 6:09 PM
Regarding the O'Halloran project , it could be worse. The Mapleton Centre in Moncton took like 5 years to get where it's at today, and it's still not done haha.

braymondg
Mar 27, 2014, 11:47 AM
Regarding the O'Halloran project , it could be worse. The Mapleton Centre in Moncton took like 5 years to get where it's at today, and it's still not done haha.

Must be a world record then! :haha:

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 27, 2014, 4:03 PM
Well it's at least partly open lol.

josh_cat_eyes
Apr 6, 2014, 3:23 AM
Just learned today that the new owners of Spinnakers Landing in Summerside will be building a four-story 32 unit condo building with ground-floor retail on the site. Pictures when they become available!

apollo
Apr 7, 2014, 1:22 PM
Really??? Any idea who the new owners are???

Monctoncore
Apr 7, 2014, 1:26 PM
I'm sure that last year the Summerside Port Corporation bought the land.

amor de cosmos
Apr 7, 2014, 4:53 PM
Prince Edward Island MLAs unite to preserve Province House
Dave Stewart
Published on April 07, 2014

Motion calling on Ottawa to restore building passes unanimously

If there’s one issue P.E.I. politicians agree on, regardless of party affiliation, it’s fixing up Province House.

MLAs passed a unanimous motion last week calling on Parks Canada and the federal government to deliver on its commitment to preserve the historic structure.

The motion was moved by Premier Robert Ghiz and seconded by Opposition Leader Steven Myers.

Ghiz had promised it was going to be the first item up for business when the spring sitting of the legislature convened on Wednesday and it was.

“We’re able to call on the federal government in a non-confrontational way to point out the importance of Province House, not only to Prince Edward Island but to Canada,’’ Ghiz said following question period in the house on Thursday.

It is the building where the Fathers of Confederation first met at the Charlottetown Conference 150 years ago, meetings that led to Confederation.

In a move Ghiz called brilliant, former premier Alex Campbell signed a 99-year agreement with the federal government in 1974 that handed Ottawa the responsibility of maintaining the building.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-04-07/article-3679644/Prince-Edward-Island-MLAs-unite-to-preserve-Province-House/1

josh_cat_eyes
Apr 8, 2014, 12:14 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/image-13.jpg
I just will post the picture of the real estate guide that I took. I think you're right tho, I think the port corporation bought spinnakers.

Northshorekid
Apr 8, 2014, 3:31 PM
My understanding is that although Spinnakers is owned by the Port, Redstone Communities, the developers behind The Gables in Stanley Bridge are promoting this project. Mark Wilson is behind the company, he has a background in vacation properties, including around Collingwood, ON.

arod
Apr 11, 2014, 12:10 AM
In other news, the vacancy rates for condos is going to skyrocket.

The last few completed projects have taken an absolutely incredibly long time to absorb. Who in their right mind would start new projects in this poor condo market.

MonctonRad
Apr 16, 2014, 12:12 AM
Just a heads up for you guys.......

Piatto Pizzeria & Enoteca, an upscale authentic pizzeria specializing in the Neapolitan style will be opening a location in Charlottetown later this year.

They are opening a Moncton location in June, and the article in the T&T mentioned that a Charlottetown location will also open later this year. :tup:

Their current locations are in Halifax and St. John's NL

http://www.piattopizzeria.com/

Further to the above, the new restaurant will open in a renovated century building at King & Queen in June. This is presumably the old Kays Bros. Wholesale Building

apollo
Apr 16, 2014, 1:39 PM
They're having trouble getting approval because it's a wooden 4 storey building and the city is saying that a restaurant is not a permitted use for anything over 2 storeys.

MonctonRad
Apr 16, 2014, 3:43 PM
They're having trouble getting approval because it's a wooden 4 storey building and the city is saying that a restaurant is not a permitted use for anything over 2 storeys.

Well that's plain and simple a stupid reason!!

josh_cat_eyes
Apr 16, 2014, 4:01 PM
In other news, the vacancy rates for condos is going to skyrocket.

The last few completed projects have taken an absolutely incredibly long time to absorb. Who in their right mind would start new projects in this poor condo market.

Plus there is another condo development on the former Irving Oil property on the waterfront.

josh_cat_eyes
Apr 25, 2014, 7:44 PM
Giant Tiger & Sport Chek are now open in Summerside.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

josh_cat_eyes
May 3, 2014, 3:26 AM
New vision for summerside waterfront:
http://www.ekistics.net/images/ss%20plan973x487.jpg
http://www.ekistics.net/images/ss12.jpg
http://www.ekistics.net/images/ss11.jpg
http://www.ekistics.net/images/ss7.jpg
http://www.ekistics.net/images/ss22.jpg
Check out the video on this page too!
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-05-02/article-3709037/Summerside-gets-look-at-new-vision-for-waterfront/1

braymondg
May 6, 2014, 10:43 PM
With 15,000 people, where are they going to find people to live there. Charlottetown can't find people to fill their condos and we have 5 times the population. If Summerside has a whiz kid idea to fill the vacancies, please share it. We would love to know.
I notice that the meeting was well attended but there wasn't a person under 50 there. Do they expect the older crowd in Summerside to sell their properties to populate this condo development. I don't think so.
Another thing, there is no shopping district. At best it's Walmart or Giant Tiger. Take your pick.
I think this will die. Where do they expect to get the people and the money?
As much as I like Summerside, this is too much of an ambitious project for such a small place.

Monctoncore
May 7, 2014, 12:06 AM
With 15,000 people, where are they going to find people to live there. Charlottetown can't find people to fill their condos and we have 5 times the population. If Summerside has a whiz kid idea to fill the vacancies, please share it. We would love to know.
I notice that the meeting was well attended but there wasn't a person under 50 there. Do they expect the older crowd in Summerside to sell their properties to populate this condo development. I don't think so.
Another thing, there is no shopping district. At best it's Walmart or Giant Tiger. Take your pick.
I think this will die. Where do they expect to get the people and the money?
As much as I like Summerside, this is too much of an ambitious project for such a small place.

I completely agree, this project was dead before it started, Summerside is a retirement town, the population has continued to stay the same, barely any growth. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this happen, but there is no support in Summerside for anything, new restaurants fail and there isn't the population for that many condos.

josh_cat_eyes
May 7, 2014, 1:16 AM
You have to realize that half of the project is Holland College. Also it's not even a real "project". It's a vision of what could happen in 30 years. They are working on a functional plan right now. I don't like the amount of negativity towards it.

Monctoncore
May 7, 2014, 1:14 PM
Sorry Josh, the plan is amazing and lets hope that a lot of this can come true, I say to myself everytime I walk the waterfront in Summerside, that there is so much potential for this small city. I for one would love the city spend some money on their beach front. I would love to see them truck in some sand and build up the beach, that itself would be a great start and would help cut down on the seaweed issue that causes such a stink every spring.

josh_cat_eyes
May 7, 2014, 8:03 PM
Sorry Josh, the plan is amazing and lets hope that a lot of this can come true, I say to myself everytime I walk the waterfront in Summerside, that there is so much potential for this small city. I for one would love the city spend some money on their beach front. I would love to see them truck in some sand and build up the beach, that itself would be a great start and would help cut down on the seaweed issue that causes such a stink every spring.

I like Summerside the way I like Moncton. The downtown and waterfront is under utilized and has soo much potential! Hopefully if even part of this plan were to happen, or would help keep young people, like myself, in the city for the future.

apollo
May 8, 2014, 1:46 PM
The plan or at least it's layout is not all that unrealistic and makes a lot of sense for the waterfront. If they would have taken out the 6+ storey buildings and presented the architecture with a more appropriate style and scale for Summerside I think they would have had something. However they rushed through the job and the impact from carrying over building blocks from other larger projects has obviously had a negative impact on the whole plan.

josh_cat_eyes
May 8, 2014, 6:17 PM
The plan or at least it's layout is not all that unrealistic and makes a lot of sense for the waterfront. If they would have taken out the 6+ storey buildings and presented the architecture with a more appropriate style and scale for Summerside I think they would have had something. However they rushed through the job and the impact from carrying over building blocks from other larger projects has obviously had a negative impact on the whole plan.

Agreed. Although the Port Corperation is working on a more functional plan that they can put into action.

braymondg
May 9, 2014, 8:25 PM
You have to realize that half of the project is Holland College. Also it's not even a real "project". It's a vision of what could happen in 30 years. They are working on a functional plan right now. I don't like the amount of negativity towards it.

Please don't take it as negative input. I wish all the best for Summerside as I have loads of friends there and I just like the place. The project will have to depend on an influx of people and money. Both we are having trouble to hold onto lately. I wish the best of luck to Summerside.

I must admit though, I like the look of the project. Try that in Charlottetown and it would raise a wail of opposition so loud you would hear it on the Moon. :haha:
Is their any opposition to the project in the community?

josh_cat_eyes
May 9, 2014, 11:18 PM
There is not that much opposition, no. Just a lot of skeptics.

josh_cat_eyes
May 10, 2014, 2:17 AM
So a couple things from Summerside today. The sign is up and that means its official. Starbucks and Pita Pit are coming to Summerside. I must say, I heard of this back in January, my sources are good!

Summerside sees $17.8 million in development in 2013
Published on April 14, 2014
[Summerside, PEI] — Development in the (Prince Edward Island) city topped the $17-million mark in 2013.

In the year-end report from the department of technical services, staff reported issuing 220 building permits with an estimated value of $17.8 million.

Construction for 2013 saw 87 new construction starts, 72 additions and alterations to existing commercial and residential buildings.

The value of building permits was down slightly from 2012, when building permits totalled $20 million.

The Guardian (http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Construction-%26amp%3B-Transportation/2014-04-14/article-3688930/PEI%3A-Summerside-sees-%2417.8-million-in-development-in-2013/1)

Charlottetown to buy land for next roundabout
City budgeted $175,000 to buy land and pay for engineering for Vogue Optical intersection

Charlottetown’s public works department is taking the next step towards building the (Prince Edward Island) city’s next roundabout.

City council recently unanimously (9-0) passed its annual budget, setting aside money to buy land in the former neighbourhood of Sherwood.

The city has been talking for a couple of years about putting a roundabout at the so-called Vogue Optical intersection where three different streets intersect in a rotary-like design.

The city has budgeted $175,000 this year to buy one more piece of land and pay for the engineering design.

“When that’s completed this year we’ll have the final design and all our land purchased and we’ll be ready to go to tender,’’ said Coun. Terry Bernard, chairman of public works.

“We just need the Build Canada Fund to come on stream which they’ve announced now will be available.’’

The Build Canada Fund is the federal government’s infrastructure program which is set to dole out $210 million this year and next across Canada.

Bernard said the intention is to begin construction of the roundabout in 2015.

If that project goes ahead, it will be the capital city’s fourth roundabout — one at Belvedere Avenue and UPEI, on Mount Edward Road and one at the Charlottetown Airport entrance. There are three other roundabouts in the capital — two on Riverside Drive and one is coming for Upton Road and the Charlottetown bypass highway but those are provincial roads.
The Guardian (http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Construction-%26amp%3B-Transportation/2014-04-14/article-3688935/PEI%3A-Charlottetown-to-buy-land-for-next-roundabout/1)

MonctonRad
May 10, 2014, 2:50 AM
:previous:

Well, I think it's official then. Summerside must be going to be the smallest city in the region (by far) with a Starbucks. I can't think of any others outside the big six cities in Maritimes.

Where is it going to go?

josh_cat_eyes
May 10, 2014, 3:04 AM

Well, I think it's official then. Summerside must be going to be the smallest city in the region (by far) with a Starbucks. I can't think of any others outside the big six cities in Maritimes.

Where is it going to go?

An APM building on the corner of Granville St. and Ryan St.
There is also one tenant yet to be confirmed. Isn't there a Moncton development with those same tenants?

Starbucks:
So HRM has 19 (Halifax has 8, Darmouth has 5, Bedford has 3, Clayton Park/Bayers Lake has 3) St. John's and Moncton have 5, Saint John has 4, Charlottetown has 3, YHZ, CBRM & Freddy have 2, and Summerside will have 1.

josh_cat_eyes
May 24, 2014, 5:04 AM
I was in Charlottetown today and have got some news to report.
First thing, the Marks is not going to be part of the new Canadian Tire as they have renovated the exterior of the Marks current location and it wouldn't make any sense to move it again less then a year later.

Second thing, the Robins in the Winsloe Petro-Can is closing and being replaced by Mr. Sub & Country Style Coffee. This is going to happen some time in June.

Some stuff to report in Summerside as well, the Bayview Shell station on Water St. has been torn down, and I'm told it is being replaced by a Needs/FastFuel location. Also the Starbucks/Pita Pit building is coming along nicely and should be open by July.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 8, 2014, 3:47 PM
PLAZA REIT now lists the Canadian Tire in the Spencer Drive Plaza as a "Tenant Owned" space.
http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/PEI/Charlottetown/Spenser%20Drive%20Plaza%20-%20June%202014.pdf

Marty_Mcfly
Jun 8, 2014, 4:10 PM
I was in Charlottetown today and have got some news to report.
First thing, the Marks is not going to be part of the new Canadian Tire as they have renovated the exterior of the Marks current location and it wouldn't make any sense to move it again less then a year later.

Second thing, the Robins in the Winsloe Petro-Can is closing and being replaced by Mr. Sub & Country Style Coffee. This is going to happen some time in June.

Some stuff to report in Summerside as well, the Bayview Shell station on Water St. has been torn down, and I'm told it is being replaced by a Needs/FastFuel location. Also the Starbucks/Pita Pit building is coming along nicely and should be open by July.

warning.....country style coffee is the worst. A huge step down from Robins (which I actually like more than Tims)

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 9, 2014, 12:18 AM
warning.....country style coffee is the worst. A huge step down from Robins (which I actually like more than Tims)

Yeah I don't get why they'd replace that. My mom likes Robin's way more then Tim's too. I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself tho.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 13, 2014, 7:21 PM
Wicker Emporium will be opening soon in the County Fair Mall in Summerside. No word on how big but there have been multiple job postings stating the location.
Got some pictures for the page too:
The new APM building on corner of Water & Queen in Charlottetown:
http://www.apm.ca/sites/files/imagecache/galleryformatter_slide/welsh_owen_-_june_3-14.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg
The new Starbucks & Pita Pit in Summerside:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 23, 2014, 2:29 AM
The Wicker Emporium in Summerside is now open. Also opening this month in Summerside: Pet Valu, Pita Pit and Starbucks!

braymondg
Aug 4, 2014, 11:31 AM
The Wicker Emporium in Summerside is now open. Also opening this month in Summerside: Pet Valu, Pita Pit and Starbucks!

Why would they stick the Starbucks out in a strip mall and not downtown or at least in the CF Mall. Maybe I'm being a little picky but I would think it should be in a higher foot/car traffic area. Just wondering.

Also, josh_cat is that the old Holland College building in the background?

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 5, 2014, 2:35 AM
Why would they stick the Starbucks out in a strip mall and not downtown or at least in the CF Mall. Maybe I'm being a little picky but I would think it should be in a higher foot/car traffic area. Just wondering.

Also, josh_cat is that the old Holland College building in the background?

Yeah it is. This strip mall in APM finally starting to develop the property. It has a drive-thru and is conveniently located at the main corner of the retail area so lots of car traffic. It will get more foot traffic here then it would in the CF mall, plus Pita Pit is right next door.

Pita Pit, Starbucks, Pet Valu and Wicker Emporium are all now open.

braymondg
Aug 11, 2014, 3:00 PM
Finally the condo at the corner of Prince and Grafton, the footings are being installed and foundation walls.

MonctonRad
Aug 11, 2014, 3:24 PM

Terrific news. That's going to be a great little bit of infill……. :tup:

Incidentally, I used to live about a half block up from this on Prince street between 1968 and 1976. My old house is now a parking lot. :(

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 11, 2014, 6:16 PM
Finally the condo at the corner of Prince and Grafton, the footings are being installed and foundation walls.

I noticed that when I was in town for Mathew Good the other night! The new Canadian Tire looks almost done too!

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 4, 2014, 12:48 AM
So Robins is building a new location in Winsloe next to the Irving with the Tims! Also Mel's had 4 locations now, the Petro-Cans in Winsloe, St. Peters road and University/Belvedere, and they built a new Shell in North River just over the causeway. Each have a country style coffee and a mr sub except at the university location they have Tai express instead of mr sub.

MonctonRad
Oct 4, 2014, 1:21 AM
So Robins is building a new location in Winsloe next to the Irving with the Tims! Also Mel's had 4 locations now, the Petro-Cans in Winsloe, St. Peters road and University/Belvedere, and they built a new Shell in North River just over the causeway. Each have a country style coffee and a mr sub except at the university location they have Tai express instead of mr sub.

Mel's??? I've been away from the Island long enough that I don't know who Mel is…….

Monctoncore
Oct 4, 2014, 1:27 AM
It is similar to when you go outside of Charlottetown and you have a couple Gass's general stores, just a guy stamping is name on every gas station he builds.

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 4, 2014, 2:31 AM
Mel's??? I've been away from the Island long enough that I don't know who Mel is…….

Gas station convience store chain haha.

Just an Islander
Oct 5, 2014, 4:07 PM
Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken & Taters will open in six weeks in the same building Subway operates in at the corner of Belvedere Avenue and University Avenue in Charlottetown. If that location does well, the company’s franchise development manager says plans call for four more restaurants across the province.

Mary Brown’s opens a new take-out location in six weeks

A fast food chain born on the east coast of Canada is bringing its flavour back to Charlottetown.

Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken & Taters is planning to open a new take-out restaurant in six weeks on the corner of Belvedere Avenue and University Avenue.

It will share the same building as Subway.

Some people might remember the franchise operated years ago in Charlottetown in what is now Sam’s Restaurant on St. Peter’s Road.

Peter Rakovalis, franchise development manager, said opening a location in the P.E.I. capital city is part of a major expansion across the country that will see 100 restaurants open over the next five years. He says if business is good at the Belvedere/University street location the Mary Brown’s banner will spead across P.E.I.

“We like that corner for the exposure, it’s a brilliant corner,’’ Rakovalis told The Guardian. “It is what we plan on being the first of several locations on P.E.I.’’

The Mary Brown’s restaurant in Charlottetown won’t be big, measuring only 1,000 square feet in size.

“This is going to be a smaller store, a take-out location only. We really like the real estate (with Subway and the university). We want to be close to the students.’’

The franchise has plans to add another four locations across the province.

The first one in Charlottetown will employ six to eight people and operate between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. seven days a week.

“We’re going to play with the weekend and see what happens on Friday and Saturday with students. We’ll see what the need for the business is, basically.’’

The franchisees for the Charlottetown restaurant are Lesley and Curtis MacCallum. They’re busy getting the shop ready and weren’t prepared to do an immediate interview. Rakovalis called the MacCallums “a great family’’.

The company CEO told Canadian Restaurant News earlier this year that Mary Brown’s franchises are able to drive about 20 per cent more revenue to the bottom line compared to competitors because labour costs, supply costs and royalties are lower.

Rakovalis says they’re going to keep a close eye on the Charlottetown take-out location.

“We want to see how the first store does. The franchisee has some aspirations to own the market. Once the first store opens up . . . we’re going to take a step back, see where the sales are, see how they’re doing and start talking about a second location.’’

Just an Islander
Oct 5, 2014, 4:29 PM
New strip mall coming

Published on October 05, 2014

© Guardian photo by Heather Taweel

A new strip mall is under construction on St. Peter's Road in Charlottetown. City council recently gave the OK to consolidate some land at the site. Now work has begun on a building that will measure 106 feet by 57 feet. The building will contain room for three retail establishments on the ground floor and office space above.

A new strip mall is under construction on St. Peter's Road in Charlottetown. City council recently gave the OK to consolidate some land at the site. Now work has begun on a building that will measure 106 feet by 57 feet. The building will contain room for three retail establishments on the ground floor and office space above.

braymondg
Oct 7, 2014, 1:38 PM
CONDO/RETAIL development on the Prince & Grafton

Here is a photo showing the completed foundation in place. I hope we'll see the structural going up soon. Glad to see this taking place. Months ago, it was looking like a parking lot would be there instead.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/0166_zps65742c89.jpg

:tup: :yes:

braymondg
Oct 7, 2014, 1:52 PM
UNIVERSITY & KENT BUILDING BEING REDONE!

I'm sure a huge cheer went up when workmen started to redo this old building. I can't wait to see it all finished. It sat for empty for 15 years so maybe we'll some new life in an old revised building.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/0167_zps586a83eb.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/0165_zpseabf09cb.jpg

:yes: :tup: :cheers:

braymondg
Oct 7, 2014, 1:56 PM
INVESCO EXPANSION

The old city Shell gas station is gone. Thank goodness it didn't sit idle as long as the previous building. They tore it down to make room for an Invesco expansion.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/0168_zpsc2c08d4f.jpg

:yes: :tup:

apollo
Oct 9, 2014, 2:07 PM
McInnis Cooper are taking the top three floors so it should be a pretty nice building when it's redone.

MonctonRad
Oct 9, 2014, 2:11 PM

Good to get some news from the old home place.

I'm not entirely sure where this Invesco expansion is??

braymondg
Oct 9, 2014, 7:02 PM

Good to get some news from the old home place.

I'm not entirely sure where this Invesco expansion is??

Where the old City Shell gas station was. On the corner of Euston and University.

:)

braymondg
Oct 17, 2014, 1:36 AM
Invesco office undergoing $8 million expansion

Ground has been broken in Charlottetown on an $8 million expansion for an investment management firm bursting at the seams.

The Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) is overseeing the 21,000 square foot expansion to the building it currently leases to Invesco which is located at the corner of Euston St and University Ave.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-10-10/article-3899440/Invesco-office-undergoing-$8-million-expansion/1

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/article_large1_zps507ca9d8.jpg

braymondg
Oct 17, 2014, 1:53 AM
Old city building getting facelift

One of downtown Charlottetown’s more prominent properties is being restored and will have a permanent tenant by February 2016.

The law firm McInnes Cooper will become the primary tenant of the former Dawson Hardware Building on the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, also known locally as the former Sam the Record Man building.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Business/2014-09-27/article-3883745/Old-city-building-getting-facelift/1

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/article_large29_zpsd9e7f2c5.jpg

This is an artist concept of what the McInnes Cooper building will look like from Kent Street when renovations are completed in early 2016. The building, at the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, was built in 1881.

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 17, 2014, 2:51 AM
Old city building getting facelift

One of downtown Charlottetown’s more prominent properties is being restored and will have a permanent tenant by February 2016.

The law firm McInnes Cooper will become the primary tenant of the former Dawson Hardware Building on the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, also known locally as the former Sam the Record Man building.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Business/2014-09-27/article-3883745/Old-city-building-getting-facelift/1

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/article_large29_zpsd9e7f2c5.jpg

This is an artist concept of what the McInnes Cooper building will look like from Kent Street when renovations are completed in early 2016. The building, at the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, was built in 1881.

Is this the building that has sat vacant for the last 15 years? I can't think of what building it is. Excited for the Investco expansion too! Will make a HUGE difference on that corner!

MonctonRad
Oct 17, 2014, 3:45 AM
Is this the building that has sat vacant for the last 15 years? I can't think of what building it is.

That's because it's such a radical transformation from what's there now. :)

It's the building on the northwest corner of Kent and University. It used to be Sam the Record Man, and before that it was Lord's Pharmacy. This redevelopment will be wonderful for downtown Charlottetown. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 17, 2014, 4:39 PM
That's because it's such a radical transformation from what's there now. :)

It's the building on the northwest corner of Kent and University. It used to be Sam the Record Man, and before that it was Lord's Pharmacy. This redevelopment will be wonderful for downtown Charlottetown. :tup:

That looks like a completely different building!! With that and the Investco expansion downtown will start to even better! I'd like to see the properties between the Quailty Inn and university torn down and something nice built there. It would really complete that end of the downtown streetscape with the government building, the ATC and the Investco building!

braymondg
Oct 18, 2014, 11:31 PM
That looks like a completely different building!! With that and the Investco expansion downtown will start to even better! I'd like to see the properties between the Quailty Inn and university torn down and something nice built there. It would really complete that end of the downtown streetscape with the government building, the ATC and the Investco building!

A Nova Scotia company wanted to build a six storey office building on that property many years ago but was shot down by residences in the area. The reason was that it would block their view:rolleyes: I think it might have been the Quality Inn that was complaining as the view would indeed be blocked. The only residences close to there are rentals.
I think it would have been a nice addition. Too bad as it is wasted space. The parking lot on the corner and the apartment duplex are ugly, and the Betty Brite Laundry is closed. A prime location for development.

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 19, 2014, 2:07 AM
A Nova Scotia company wanted to build a six storey office building on that property many years ago but was shot down by residences in the area. The reason was that it would block their view:rolleyes: I think it might have been the Quality Inn that was complaining as the view would indeed be blocked. The only residences close to there are rentals.
I think it would have been a nice addition. Too bad as it is wasted space. The parking lot on the corner and the apartment duplex are ugly, and the Betty Brite Laundry is closed. A prime location for development.

Even if it was 4 storey it probably wouldn't block their views...of the building across the street.

braymondg
Oct 19, 2014, 1:02 PM
Even if it was 4 storey it probably wouldn't block their views...of the building across the street.

Yes, I agree. That proposal was made back before the Jean Canfield building.

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2014, 1:10 PM
It wasn't much of a view to protect anyway, mostly gas stations..... :haha:

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 19, 2014, 5:21 PM
It wasn't much of a view to protect anyway, mostly gas stations..... :haha:

Hopefully if a building was built there it would be that whole block from Euston to Fitzroy. It's quite norrow but long and with a very large street frontage.

braymondg
Oct 31, 2014, 1:38 PM
Concept drawings show micro-apartments, five-star boutique inn

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/large_zpsdecc6839.jpg

Members of the public got their first look at concept drawings for the redevelopment of Notre Dame Convent Thursday night and the general consensus appears to be a big thumbs up.

Several former sisters of Notre Dame were among those who ventured out to an open house on the proposed development to view the drawings and a short slide presentation depicting what some of the interior spaces would look like.

More here: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-10-31/article-3922669/Notre-Dame-convent-getting-new-life/1

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 31, 2014, 6:35 PM
The new Charlottetown Canadian Tire opened yesterday. I forget how physically big the building is but it has 64,000 sq ft. of retail space. So basically The entire Sobeys could fit on the retail floor of that building!

MonctonRad
Oct 31, 2014, 8:12 PM
Concept drawings show micro-apartments, five-star boutique inn

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/large_zpsdecc6839.jpg

Members of the public got their first look at concept drawings for the redevelopment of Notre Dame Convent Thursday night and the general consensus appears to be a big thumbs up.

Several former sisters of Notre Dame were among those who ventured out to an open house on the proposed development to view the drawings and a short slide presentation depicting what some of the interior spaces would look like.

More here: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2014-10-31/article-3922669/Notre-Dame-convent-getting-new-life/1

I like this, but I wonder what the market for 400-650 sq ft "micro apartments" will be like in Charlottetown? They would be popular in Manhattan or downtown Toronto, but I wonder if Islanders wouldn't prefer a little more space to stretch out in...... :shrug:

braymondg
Nov 1, 2014, 11:01 PM
I like this, but I wonder what the market for 400-650 sq ft "micro apartments" will be like in Charlottetown? They would be popular in Manhattan or downtown Toronto, but I wonder if Islanders wouldn't prefer a little more space to stretch out in...... :shrug:

Not sure who will occupy the apartments but I was by there today and they have already started renovations.

braymondg
Nov 1, 2014, 11:08 PM
The new Charlottetown Canadian Tire opened yesterday. I forget how physically big the building is but it has 64,000 sq ft. of retail space. So basically The entire Sobeys could fit on the retail floor of that building!

Apparently it's 50% bigger than the other store.
I haven't a chance to take a look on the inside. Maybe tomorrow.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0194_zps7cfc5b04.jpg

braymondg
Nov 1, 2014, 11:11 PM
The Sandstone Drive/Capital Drive Senior complex is quickly approaching completion.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0193_zps1a16e4a3.jpg

braymondg
Nov 1, 2014, 11:23 PM
Capital Honda - New Honda Dealership

Capital Honda, which is on Lwr Malpeque Rd., is looking at a property for a new Honda dealership. A new 34,000 sq. ft. building is in the proposal.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/Image1_zps415efa58.jpg

braymondg
Nov 2, 2014, 9:56 PM
Invesco Foundation Underway.

Fast progress taking place here. Footings are in and the foundation walls are going up. :tup:

I wonder if this building will beat the Condo development at Prince and Grafton. The foundation is in there too but has sat for weeks now and nothing being done to it.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0202_zps9af147a8.jpg

braymondg
Nov 2, 2014, 9:58 PM
Tweel Building Update.

The shell is disappearing. Very old timbers in this building. I wonder how much of this is salvageable.
We'll see I guess.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0203_zpsc3b2ee72.jpg

MonctonRad
Nov 2, 2014, 10:25 PM
Tweel Building Update.

The shell is disappearing. Very old timbers in this building. I wonder how much of this is salvageable.
We'll see I guess.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0203_zpsc3b2ee72.jpg

Even this is an improvement over what was there previously. :haha:

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 3, 2014, 2:57 AM
Great pics Braymong I wonder where the Honda dealership will go? Perhaps it's the long awaiting announcement for the Royalty Power Centre. A car dealership would look good on that remaining piece next to Kent!

braymondg
Nov 8, 2014, 2:10 PM
New Apartments for Harley St.

Ground has been prepared for two new large apartment buildings on Harley St. Sorry for the poor photo quality. It was taken from my car through the window.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/7da21adb-d860-43e6-b4fb-3cbcdc271b29_zps95477b7a.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/fc96342f-c8b9-45f6-982e-ac0014c53953_zps36f78c52.jpg

braymondg
Nov 8, 2014, 2:16 PM
Tweel Building Update

Nice to see this building coming along quickly. It will be a vast improvement to the downtown area. :tup: :yes:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/a304567c-3ce7-41f2-94fe-8d38e5e11e0d_zps15a03ff7.jpg

braymondg
Nov 8, 2014, 2:22 PM
Building on St Peters Rd Near Completion

Here is a photo of the nearly completed building next to Scotiabank on St. Peters Rd.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/dcb51d59-e531-4585-94d7-275ba45e0575_zpsb32439c8.jpg

braymondg
Nov 8, 2014, 2:29 PM
International Restaurant on St Peters Rd is No More

Just across from the Scotiabank on St Peters Rd was the International Restaurant. It was torn down. Not sure why as yet.
Oh, the permit was submitted by DP Murphy. Interesting!
More to follow on this I'm sure.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/7377c1f2-8edd-4576-a22f-0375f93212e8_zpsa9445704.jpg

braymondg
Nov 8, 2014, 2:51 PM
Allen St / Jordon St Expansion

This building is behind Sobeys on Allen St. It has gone through an expansion as you can see. Not sure what it is going to be as yet.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/efbec4a4-96f8-4cbd-aa17-798ec8b59f94_zps1997b85d.jpg

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2014, 10:30 PM
Building on St Peters Rd Near Completion

Here is a photo of the nearly completed building next to Scotiabank on St. Peters Rd.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/dcb51d59-e531-4585-94d7-275ba45e0575_zpsb32439c8.jpg

Any idea what this building is supposed to be??

arod
Nov 10, 2014, 1:31 AM

Fitz and Co. is going to take up the top floor, unsure if the bottom floor has leases signed yet.

The building extension/renovation on Allen is going to be a new Brewery and DP Murphy had bought the Leons/International property 2 years back. Not sure what the plans are for the site though.

ssmith
Nov 10, 2014, 6:36 PM
Capital Honda - New Honda Dealership

Capital Honda, which is on Lwr Malpeque Rd., is looking at a property for a new Honda dealership. A new 34,000 sq. ft. building is in the proposal.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/Image1_zps415efa58.jpg

Where is the property thy are considering for the dealership?

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 11, 2014, 5:58 PM

I was wondering the same thing. What is your source?

I'm home for a couple days in Summerside and I have a couple updates. The Walmart renovations are going good, they have all the new signage up. Also in the new APM plaza with Starbucks & Pita Pit, the 3rd tenant is a Benjamin Moore paint store.

braymondg
Nov 12, 2014, 1:40 PM

As Arod said, the top floor is for Fitz and Co.

Note the double doors on the front of the building. As far as I can tell, a plaza or strip-mall on the bottom. Occupants there are unknown as yet.

braymondg
Nov 12, 2014, 1:41 PM

Unsure as yet.

braymondg
Nov 15, 2014, 11:36 PM
Pownal / Grafton St Building Update

I thought I would take a drive downtown and see how things were going. The steel is being erected for the Pownal / Grafton St Building which I was pleasantly surprised about. Considering the hole the was there for a couple of years....big improvement. Excellent!

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/e6362a55-29e0-44d9-b66d-9288248a5dc8_zps5f09007f.jpg

braymondg
Nov 16, 2014, 4:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing. What is your source?

I'm home for a couple days in Summerside and I have a couple updates. The Walmart renovations are going good, they have all the new signage up. Also in the new APM plaza with Starbucks & Pita Pit, the 3rd tenant is a Benjamin Moore paint store.

The source for the Honda dealership development I can't reveal as yet. :runaway:

braymondg
Nov 30, 2014, 4:13 AM
The University of Prince Edward Island is getting $16 million from the provincial government towards the establishment of a new school of sustainable design engineering.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/5108322a-0766-4303-8e10-192ea13f293d_5001_zps5659bace.jpg

Under the funding arrangement, $12 million will help fund the construction of a building to house the new school while $4 million will go toward the program’s operating costs.

Construction of the new building is set to start next week and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2016.

braymondg
Nov 30, 2014, 4:27 AM
The steel is now being put up at the Invesco addition.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0023_zps3855aee7.jpg

braymondg
Nov 30, 2014, 4:32 AM
Here is a photo of the Kent and University Ave Tweel building. Looks good
so far. :tup:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0022_zps466d5a7b.jpg

MonctonRad
Nov 30, 2014, 11:42 AM
The University of Prince Edward Island is getting $16 million from the provincial government towards the establishment of a new school of sustainable design engineering.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/5108322a-0766-4303-8e10-192ea13f293d_5001_zps5659bace.jpg

Under the funding arrangement, $12 million will help fund the construction of a building to house the new school while $4 million will go toward the program’s operating costs.

Construction of the new building is set to start next week and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2016.

Well, this is certainly news!

When I did my B.Sc at UPEI, you could only do a two year diploma program in engineering at UPEI before transferring to Dal or UNB to complete your degree. Now you will be able to get your full four year degree on the Island (at least in sustainable design engineering).

I wonder if this is just a transitional phase before establishing a full engineering school at the university?

There are more and more graduate and professional level programs at UPEI all the time. It looks like UPEI is really in the process of transitioning to a full fledged provincial university like Dal and UNB. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 30, 2014, 10:58 PM
Where is the new UPEI building being built?

Northshorekid
Dec 2, 2014, 7:43 PM
Where is the new UPEI building being built?

It will built in the current parking lot behind CARI and beside the NRC building. It was formerly the site of the portable classroom complex. A great addition to UPEI and hopefully a contributor to the region for years to come. I believe the goal is to have programs in design engineering, and to carve out a differentiated niche from traditional programs at UNB or Dal.

Northshorekid
Dec 4, 2014, 2:16 AM
I would expect to see an announcement for a large, branded hotel to be built on the former Coast Guard/Queens Wharf property across from the new Convention Centre. Good for the city to bring in new inventory and older inventory will get phased out one way or the other.

ssmith
Dec 4, 2014, 10:16 PM
I would expect to see an announcement for a large, branded hotel to be built on the former Coast Guard/Queens Wharf property across from the new Convention Centre. Good for the city to bring in new inventory and older inventory will get phased out one way or the other.

Any other info I just heard the same yesterday. Heard APM got the property

apollo
Dec 5, 2014, 12:48 PM
Hotel, apartments, restaurant and parking structure

braymondg
Dec 6, 2014, 10:20 PM
Invesco Update

The steel is going up quickly at the Invesco site. It will be a nice addition to the entrance to what will soon be called "Great George Street".
For those of you that didn't here about this, city council will soon move to rename the portion of University Ave from Euston St to Grafton St to the original name "Great George St. Businesses on the street have expressed an interest in the idea and looks like it will be a go.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/00135cc7-6e5e-47b2-909c-b987ca05b364_zps7411221c.jpg

braymondg
Dec 6, 2014, 10:24 PM
Tweel Building Update

The Tweel building will also be a breath of fresh air on this street. Looks good so for. :tup:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/33b278f0-2014-43e3-b4c6-2751781f1b7b_zpsaf80fee6.jpg

MonctonRad
Dec 7, 2014, 4:36 AM
city council will soon move to rename the portion of University Ave from Euston St to Grafton St to the original name "Great George St. Businesses on the street have expressed an interest in the idea and looks like it will be a go.

And are they also going to revert to the name "Elm Avenue" for the remainder of University Avenue? :) (just kidding)

braymondg
Dec 15, 2014, 9:47 PM
Tweel Building Update

The Tweel building will also be a breath of fresh air on this street. Looks good so for. :tup:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/33b278f0-2014-43e3-b4c6-2751781f1b7b_zpsaf80fee6.jpg

Latest on this development. Looking good!:tup:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/braymondg/DSC_0041_zps43a3ba0b.jpg