PDA

View Full Version : Nordstrom in the midwest

erasercut
Nov 21, 2006, 3:27 PM
St. Louis is getting it's 2nd Nordstrom store. Questions: does a Nordstrom store live up to it's hype? How much of a presence do they have in the midwest?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/story/F3BEB8D87A819B4B8625722D0010502C?OpenDocument

Navin
Nov 21, 2006, 4:12 PM
Nordstrom's is the best (maybe only) reason for me to shop at the Mall of America. It's on the same tier as Bloomingdale's. I shop their men's sale to buy suits and dress shoes for work. Great customer service and selection, IMHO.

Is there really a lot of hype about Nordtsrom's openings? They seem to have a decent amount of Midwestern locations. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nordstrom_locations) Minneapolis is rumored to be getting a Nordstrom Rack on Nicollet Mall (http://www.startribune.com/535/story/811679.html), take it with a grain of salt.

MayDay
Nov 21, 2006, 4:21 PM
The first Nordstrom in Ohio opened at Beachwood Place (in Beachwood, a suburb east of Cleveland) in 1997 and I'd say it became a regional draw. Their sales are great, but they also carry some higher-end merchandise. My galpals love the cosmetics set-up (it's like Sephora where you can walk up to the shelves and not have to ask for help).

I've heard some absolutely ridiculous tales of their customer service (someone brought back a pair of shoes after wearing them for a few months, and Nordstrom replaced them). Personally, I've haven't experienced anything that I'd say was outstanding service but I've also not had any bad experiences there.

The-New-Tony-Detroit
Nov 21, 2006, 4:39 PM
Detroit (the area of course, not the city) will have three by the end of next year. I can say without a doubt (and I come from a family that has been tied to Hudson's/Marshall Field's/Macy's for over sixty years through employment) that Nordstrom has world class guest services and goes above and beyond each and every time. I like nitpicking the details of a store - layout, service, feel, hell--regalness? - and Nordstrom earns it's reputation soundly.

I personally think the quality was lowered in both cases when Hudson's became MF and now again that it has become Macy's.

GRap
Nov 21, 2006, 7:34 PM
theres a Nordstrom rack in GR, does that count, its a nice store

the pope
Nov 21, 2006, 10:32 PM
they have really good grilled cheeses.

-GR2NY-
Nov 21, 2006, 10:37 PM
I thought they were all over the place!?

secondson
Nov 22, 2006, 12:45 AM
Cincinnati is (finally) slated to get a Nordstrom in Kenwood Towne Center by 2009. It will be located in the soon-to-be vacated Parisian store. I'm disappointed it will be so small - only 140,000 SF - especially considering the population of the Cincinnati metro area is larger than the Indianapolis metro (which has a HUMONGOUS store) or the Columbus metro, which have had their stores for a number of years now.

KM1410
Nov 22, 2006, 1:30 AM
Indy has one Nordstrom in Circle Centre Mall in downtown. There might be a second one opening in the old Parisian spot at the Fashion Mall on the northside, but most of the rumors I have heard have Neiman Marcus taking the spot.

A&Fcolumbus
Nov 22, 2006, 9:26 PM
Nordstrom in columbus at Easton Town Center

DeadManWalking
Nov 23, 2006, 5:31 PM
There is one of these stores in KC's largest and richest suburb, Overland Park, Kansas. Personally I have no desire to enter the place, or any other mall department store.

ibleedblue
Nov 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
I can't believe how expensive this store is...people who spend $200+ on a pair of jeans....seriously. I'm into fashion and looking/dressing good but even I have my limits. They aren't charging those prices if people aren't spending the money. But for those that do...it's nice to have the option.

InlandEmpire
Nov 25, 2006, 8:44 AM
I'm surprised to hear that such major metros in the Midwest are just now getting a Nordie's. The chain is based here in Seattle and every major mall in the Northwest has one so I took them for granted. Federated stores are nice, but Nordstrom is a step beyond (although spendy!) I wonder if there's only one or two per metro if they're larger stores than we're used to here.

zilfondel
Nov 25, 2006, 11:58 AM
I can't believe how expensive this store is...people who spend $200+ on a pair of jeans....seriously. I'm into fashion and looking/dressing good but even I have my limits. They aren't charging those prices if people aren't spending the money. But for those that do...it's nice to have the option.

Don't complain; we have a store where you can buy a pair of pre-worn jeans for $500 a pair.

Stockton
Nov 26, 2006, 2:07 AM
Before MayCo's Jones Stores were converted to Macy's, Nordstrom was the only department store worth a shit in Kansas City, besides Hall's, which is locally-owned and more upscale with less diverse pricing. Sears, JCPenney, Dillards--yeah right.

It's just too bad Kansas City's Nordstrom isn't in a more central location, like the city! It's 20 miles from downtown in suburbadork Johnson County at the area's most successful--but not upscale--mall, Oak Park. It's also too bad KC's Nordstrom seems small in some my areas of interest--where are the men's tennis shoes and Diesels? I say small because all I have to relate to is the website. I haven't been fortunate enough to visit places outside KC, not even STL, which I've desired for so long.

Cincinnatis
Nov 26, 2006, 2:51 AM
Cincinnati is lucky enough to be able to have a Nordstrom about 10 miles away from the CBD. This is a location that the city will be able to take advantage of.

secondson
Nov 26, 2006, 3:08 AM
Cincinnati is lucky enough to be able to have a Nordstrom about 10 miles away from the CBD. This is a location that the city will be able to take advantage of.

How so? I'm not sure I understand what sort of advantage you are talking about. (Forgive me if that seems like an odd question.)

Stockton
Nov 26, 2006, 8:06 AM
He may be referring to transit options. There is NO public transit to Oak Park Mall, where Kansas City's Nordstrom is.

Wheelingman04
Nov 26, 2006, 8:15 AM
I am suprised Milwaukee doesn't have a Nordstrom.

Stockton
Nov 26, 2006, 9:58 AM

There are plenty of shirts, sweaters, etc. well under $100, as well as jeans. Plus they have Kenneth Cole shoes and the like. Moderately-priced watches and jewelry, $10 sunglasses. It's not all uber-expensive. Not on par with Saks or Neiman Marcus or Barney's. There's no reason for people who aren't buying $200 jeans to not shop there. They have the young women's department with decent sweaters as low as $36.

I'm not sure about the expensive jeans and how well they merit their price. But I assume the fit, durability, design, and colors/fades are superior, if you're the type of person to pay attention to details. The most expensive jeans I've tried on were Armani Exchange and they were barely over $100 I think but fit and felt excellent and looked great--better than any I've had my ass in at AE, Gap, Old Navy, or Levi's.

Cincinnatis
Nov 26, 2006, 11:19 AM
How so? I'm not sure I understand what sort of advantage you are talking about. (Forgive me if that seems like an odd question.)

Ok, think about it ... most metro's of comparison have a Nordstrom, but they are way out in the 'burbs. Assuming you are from Cincinnati or are familiar with Cincinnati, where is Kenwood in relation to the city's boundaries?

See my point?

LyndaleHoosier
Nov 26, 2006, 7:10 PM
Nordstrom in Mall of America is also only about 10 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul's CBDs....

ColDayMan
Nov 26, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hell, Nordstrom at Easton is only 10 miles from downtown as well.

Avian001
Nov 26, 2006, 11:49 PM
I'm surprised to hear that such major metros in the Midwest are just now getting a Nordie's. The chain is based here in Seattle and every major mall in the Northwest has one so I took them for granted. Federated stores are nice, but Nordstrom is a step beyond (although spendy!) I wonder if there's only one or two per metro if they're larger stores than we're used to here.

Well... Understand that we feel surprised that you've never experienced Dayton's, Hudson's or Marshall Field's either.:cool:

Cincinnatis
Nov 26, 2006, 11:55 PM
Nordstrom in Mall of America is also only about 10 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul's CBDs....

Sweet.

Cincinnatis
Nov 26, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hell, Nordstrom at Easton is only 10 miles from downtown as well.

Sweet.

erasercut
Nov 27, 2006, 2:25 AM
Before MayCo's Jones Stores were converted to Macy's, Nordstrom was the only department store worth a shit in Kansas City, besides Hall's, which is locally-owned and more upscale with less diverse pricing. Sears, JCPenney, Dillards--yeah right.

It's just too bad Kansas City's Nordstrom isn't in a more central location, like the city! It's 20 miles from downtown in suburbadork Johnson County at the area's most successful--but not upscale--mall, Oak Park. It's also too bad KC's Nordstrom seems small in some my areas of interest--where are the men's tennis shoes and Diesels? I say small because all I have to relate to is the website. I haven't been fortunate enough to visit places outside KC, not even STL, which I've desired for so long.

With the exception of a downtown Macy's, all of St. Louis' big department stores (Nordstrom, Saks 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus & Dillards) are all in the suburbs.

matguy7070
Nov 27, 2006, 3:36 AM
St. Louis does have an advantage on Department Stores downtown and in proximity to Downtown St. Louis.

Macys Downtown St. Louis offers 7 levels of shopping including a Godiva Chocolate Shop and three restaurants inside. In addition,
Macy's Galleria and Galleria Dillards and Galleria Nordstrom - are only 8 Miles From Downtown which are connected by rail (Metro Shrewsbury Line) from Downtown to Brentwood. Saks and Nieman Marcus are 12 miles from Downtown.

ColDayMan
Nov 27, 2006, 3:48 AM
Sweet.

And so was your point.

secondson
Nov 27, 2006, 3:57 AM
Ok, think about it ... most metro's of comparison have a Nordstrom, but they are way out in the 'burbs. Assuming you are from Cincinnati or are familiar with Cincinnati, where is Kenwood in relation to the city's boundaries?

See my point?

I guess I thought you were talking about downtown.

So you mean it will (could?) spur development within the city limits?

Cincinnatis
Nov 27, 2006, 6:26 AM
^ No, I'm saying it's close enough to the city center to have a positive effect on the city where as they could have done the opposite by not putting it in the city center like it was originally planned in 2000. lol ... you're reading into this too much man.

Stockton
Nov 27, 2006, 7:08 AM
With the exception of a downtown Macy's, all of St. Louis' big department stores (Nordstrom, Saks 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus & Dillards) are all in the suburbs.

Yes, but the area Plaza Frontenac is in is connected to downtown by the Metrolink, isn't it? At least your Saks and Neiman's is in an inner-ring suburban area, at least you have Sak's and Neiman Marcus! I'm fascinated by the idea of checking out Clayton, University City, and surrounding inner-ring burbs. I'm facinated by relatively densely-built single family homes and love some of the older styles, like Tudors. Never having been to another city, except Tulsa, STL will be like christmas morning for me. You all have some interesting suburbs.:)

Is Plaza Frontenac dated? If so, is there any chance it may be redeveloped or rebuilt into a more urban fashion?

Can anybody point me in the right direction for photos of STL inner-ring burbs?

BTW, I forgot about the old flagship Famous-Barr. I'd love to see the Macy's there now.

Edit: wow, Plaza Frontenac is further out than I thought. Before I was thinking it is where the STL Galleria is.

JivecitySTL
Nov 27, 2006, 1:06 PM
Frontenac is a mid-ring suburb that is not connected by MetroLink. BrianHarrisKC-- when you come to St. Louis, you will find its inner-ring suburbs to be in some places as dense and indistinguishable from the city. Here are just two examples:

Clayton:

http://www.pbase.com/jivecity/image/22913305.jpg

University City:

http://www.pbase.com/jivecity/image/21104303.jpg

All the inner-ring suburbs of St. Louis are quite urban in character, including Jennings, Wellston, U. City, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Maplewood, Affton, Lemay and smaller ones in between. I think you'll be very surprised at how different St. Louis is than KC.

Cincinnatis
Nov 27, 2006, 5:32 PM
^ I see your point Jive, but you have to admit ... it would be 10X better to have a Nordstrom in the CBD.

JMedwick
Nov 27, 2006, 5:35 PM
Of course it would. :previous:

I mean, in most Midwestern cities, the mall or area that gets a Nordstroms has a unique department store, one not found at other malls, making it more of a draw than your average Macys.

Cincinnatis
Nov 27, 2006, 5:44 PM
Of course it would. :previous:

I mean, in most Midwestern cities, the mall or area that gets a Nordstroms has a unique department store, one not found at other malls, making it more of a draw than your average Macys.

Exactly, and that's pretty much the only reason why I even care. I'll never shop at a Nordstrom (when I can go somewhere else and buy the equivalent for half the price), but I'd be happy about the regional draw and what it could do to have the location in our CBD.

This is a sensitive topic for us Cincinnatians, because that is what was planned (5th and Race St. right in the middle of the city) and everything was worked out between the city and Nordstrom (2000) and everything was hunky-dorey ... and all of the sudden they f**ked us in the ass.

I say screw 'em. No wait, I take that back. They can come here.

JivecitySTL
Nov 27, 2006, 5:57 PM
Cincinnatis-- I wasn't even talking about Nordstrom's. I was answering BrianHarrisKC's question.

Cincinnatis
Nov 27, 2006, 6:21 PM
Cincinnatis-- I wasn't even talking about Nordstrom's. I was answering BrianHarrisKC's question.

Oh, ok ... I thought BrianHarrisKC was talking about Nordstrom?

Stockton
Nov 27, 2006, 6:26 PM
BrianHarrisKC-- when you come to St. Louis, you will find its inner-ring suburbs to be in some places as dense and indistinguishable from the city.

Yeah. But 4 years of good representation by you and your brother has given me almost the experience of driving through on the highway! I've already become familiar with the layout of the city, urban-to-suburban transition, etc. This forum serves well.

I just drank a corona and smoked a blunt so if this post sounds weird.:haha:

the pope
Nov 27, 2006, 8:21 PM
I just drank a corona and smoked a blunt so if this post sounds weird.:haha:

lightweight

secondson
Nov 27, 2006, 10:41 PM
^ No, I'm saying it's close enough to the city center to have a positive effect on the city where as they could have done the opposite by not putting it in the city center like it was originally planned in 2000. lol ... you're reading into this too much man.

Well, no - not really. Not trying to, anyway. I mean, I know what you're basically saying .... never mind. It's in my head, but not coming out of the mouth right. LOL! Carry on....

erasercut
Nov 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, but the area Plaza Frontenac is in is connected to downtown by the Metrolink, isn't it? At least your Saks and Neiman's is in an inner-ring suburban area, at least you have Sak's and Neiman Marcus! I'm fascinated by the idea of checking out Clayton, University City, and surrounding inner-ring burbs. I'm facinated by relatively densely-built single family homes and love some of the older styles, like Tudors. Never having been to another city, except Tulsa, STL will be like christmas morning for me. You all have some interesting suburbs.:)

Is Plaza Frontenac dated? If so, is there any chance it may be redeveloped or rebuilt into a more urban fashion?

Can anybody point me in the right direction for photos of STL inner-ring burbs?

BTW, I forgot about the old flagship Famous-Barr. I'd love to see the Macy's there now.

Edit: wow, Plaza Frontenac is further out than I thought. Before I was thinking it is where the STL Galleria is.

U City is one of the best of all of the inner ring suburbs and has some amazing architecture.

From what I understand, Plaza Frontenac is the top grossing mall in St. Louis in sales per square foot so there's no chance of it being torn down and redeveloped.

matguy7070
Nov 29, 2006, 3:14 AM

On the contrary. Plaza Frontenac is 100 percent leased and is very posh. It is very contemporary and sophisticated (for a mall). Shopping there is for pleasure not necessity. They even have 5 plush movie theatres. The neighborhood is plush as well with many fine shopping and dining venues around the blocks and is located just 4 minutes west of The St. Louis Galleria which is served by Metro rail.
http://www.plazafrontenac.com/
http://www.plazafrontenac.com/stores.asp

The new downtown Macy's department store is one of the most beautiful downtown department stores left in America IMO. The architecture and style is definately from days gone by grandeur downtown department stores. The store has been through a multi-million dollar renovation and Macy's keeps pooring in the money and adding new events downtown. The store looks fabulous for Christmas and this year has brought back Santa downtown as well as Breakfast with Santa every Sat and Sun until Christmas. The store has 8 huge floors of shopping and three restaurants. A Godiva Chocolate Shp is also inside the store.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/matguy70/famousbarr/2003_0101Image0010.jpg

It is NOT that far out. It is only one exit down from The St. Louis Galleria on I-64/40 - located within 4-5 minutes from The Galleria.

chesterfieldkid03
Nov 29, 2006, 3:59 AM
Here are some photos of Plaza Frontenac....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0148.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0144.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0143.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0141.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0139.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/chesterfieldkid03/DSCF0146.jpg

Stockton
Nov 29, 2006, 2:13 PM
From what I understand, Plaza Frontenac is the top grossing mall in St. Louis in sales per square foot so there's no chance of it being torn down and redeveloped.

It's success is actually why I wondered if it might be developed into a more attractive (new urbanist) center. Regardless, it looks like a relatively nice mall.

Thanks for the photos chesterfieldkid.

The roof of Neiman Marcus reminds me of a Hardee's, though.

the pope
Nov 29, 2006, 3:37 PM
nothing says noveau riche like Brio!

trvlr70
Nov 29, 2006, 8:50 PM
Why can't KC seem to support any high end department stores? I seem to remember a time when Saks Fifth Avenue was around and a Macy's(back before it was more pedestrian).

I mean St. Louis, Denver, Tulsa all have them. All I could find was a Nordstrom is suburban Kansas.

Stockton
Nov 29, 2006, 9:02 PM
We have 2 Hall's upscale department stores owned by the Hallmark family and exclusive to KC. One is on the Plaza, the other at Crown Center. They carry many of the same designers as Neiman's and Sak's.

http://www.hallskc.com/

DenverMatty
Nov 29, 2006, 9:24 PM
So Indy is officially getting a 2nd Nordstrom... It's great for Keystone... I would like to have had a Neiman's in Indy though personally. Still... great news for Indy... like Cincinnati this one is small-ish and going into an old Parisian spot.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/BUSINESS/61129021

1:38 PM November 29, 2006

Nordstrom plans 2nd Indy store

By Tom Spalding
tom.spalding@indystar.com

Nordstrom today announced it will open a store in the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing.

It would be the second location in the state for the Seattle-based retailer, which will succeed Parisian as a major anchor tenant in the two-story, 680,000-square foot Northeastside mall.
Parisian will operate until summer 2007, with a remodeled two-story Nordstrom opening in fall 2008.
Nordstrom has no plans to leave Circle Centre Mall, which officials consider to be a high performer.
Shoppers will notice a big difference between the 11-year-old downtown Nordstrom and the new location in Keystone - its size.
The new store will be two stories and 130,000 square feet. The current store is three levels and 216,000 square feet.
Indianapolis-based Simon Property Group, which owns both malls, made the announcement at noon today in conjunction with Nordstrom and the Indianapolis mayor's office.
"Fashion Mall at Keystone is a quality shopping center that will allow us to more conveniently serve the communities in north Indianapolis as well as the areas in and around central Indiana," said Erik Nordstrom, president of stores.
Mayor Bart Peterson praised Nordstrom for "another vote of confidence in the Indianapolis market."

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

secondson
Nov 30, 2006, 12:00 AM
What I don't get is why Indy is getting another one, and Cincinnati is just now getting it's first? Plus, their second store will open before our first one. The Cincy metro area has a larger population, so what gives?

the pope
Nov 30, 2006, 1:34 AM
What I don't get is why Indy is getting another one, and Cincinnati is just now getting it's first? Plus, their second store will open before our first one. The Cincy metro area has a larger population, so what gives?

i don't think there's a rule that for every 1 million in your metro you get one nordstrom.

there's a millions variables involved in any retailers decision to locate. For example a place like trader joe's looks for 50%(?) of the local population within x miles to have a college degree.

Cincinnatis
Nov 30, 2006, 2:56 AM
i don't think there's a rule that for every 1 million in your metro you get one nordstrom.

there's a millions variables involved in any retailers decision to locate. For example a place like trader joe's looks for 50%(?) of the local population within x miles to have a college degree.

Plus, how many IKEA's are in the midwest? Indy will probably never see one since Cincy is only an hour away. This comparing dept. stores is so silly. :slob:

Avian001
Nov 30, 2006, 3:35 AM
Plus, how many IKEA's are in the midwest?...

As only a Skyscraper geek would know: Three.;) Two in Chicago and one in the Twin Cities. Four, if you want to squeeze in Pittsburgh.

Arch City
Nov 30, 2006, 4:03 AM
We have 2 Hall's upscale department stores owned by the Hallmark family and exclusive to KC. One is on the Plaza, the other at Crown Center. They carry many of the same designers as Neiman's and Sak's.

http://www.hallskc.com/
Hall's is nice. The attention paid to customer service is very reminiscent of the department stores of old. The Plaza store is impressive.

Arch City
Nov 30, 2006, 4:38 AM
More Plaza Frontenac photos

http://www.pbase.com/stlouis_314/image/20684263.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/stlouis_314/image/20684354.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/stlouis_314/image/20684361.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/stlouis_314/image/24091409.jpg

secondson
Nov 30, 2006, 4:52 AM

Do you know what the variables are for locating Nordstrom within a metro? I'd be interested in knowing in what way we are so far behind Indy that it warrants them getting their second store opened before we even get our first one.

Plus, how many IKEA's are in the midwest? Indy will probably never see one since Cincy is only an hour away. This comparing dept. stores is so silly. :slob:

Okay, let's go back to the whole "Nordstrom is closer to the city core, so it will have a positive impact on Cincinnati" thing. Since IKEA will be in West Chester, which store will have a bigger impact on the region, and the Cincinnati core?

I'm not comparing stores, so I will presume you weren't referring to me. I'm simply asking why a city with a metro area smaller than Cincinnati would be getting a second store that we still have to wait 3 more years for. ;)

Cincinnatis
Nov 30, 2006, 6:00 AM
Avian001, 4 counting Cincinnati soon ...

Secondson, you're missing my point. Which store draws more people IKEA or Nordstrom?

Are there larger metro's out there larger than Cincy - that do not have an IKEA?

Also keep in mind, it was Nordstrom that f**ked Cincy over, not the other way around in 2000.

Check out this link, I think you'll find out a lot of answers you are looking for as far as square footage and everything ... http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061121/BIZ01/611210333

(P.S. IKEA in W.C. and Nordstrom in Kenwood are irrelevant to the topic at hand.)

Black Box
Nov 30, 2006, 9:23 AM
Oh, I miss Dayton's. I remember when it was renamed Marshall Field's and now Marshall Field's is Macy's. Never made it to the State Street store when it was Marshall Field's, but it is still a beautiful building. Oh well. Nordstrom is a great department store. Their flagship store in downtown Seattle is handsome. I usually do not buy clothes at Nordstrom, mainly boots (occasionally) and I love the Kiehl's counter. They are very liberal with their return policy and I have friends who are employed by Nordstrom as designers. They work on the creative floor, so they can dress however they want. They recently hired some New York City big wig to add some edge. We'll see where that goes.

mobyhead
Nov 30, 2006, 2:28 PM
Fashion Mall sews up Nordstrom

High-end retailer expects to open second Indianapolis store in fall 2008

By Tom Spaldingtom.spalding@indystar.com
tom.spalding@indystar.com
November 30, 2006

Eleven years after coming to Downtown Indianapolis, Nordstrom is opening a second store just 12 miles away.
It makes Indianapolis one of a handful of cities with multiple Nordstrom stores.
The upscale retailer said Wednesday it will move into the Parisian store site at the Fashion Mall, Keystone at the Crossing, in fall 2008.
But that won't mean a letdown for Circle Centre mall, which helped in the rejuvenation of Downtown, said Jim Garrard, director of Indianapolis economic development.
"Downtown has its own set of shoppers," he said. "And the Fashion Mall is a unique draw that does well anyway."
Nordstrom has multiple stores in seven U.S. cities, including four in San Diego and five within 20 miles in Seattle.
Indianapolis-based Simon Property Group, which owns the Fashion Mall and Circle Centre, made the announcement in conjunction with Nordstrom and the mayor's office.
Word spread quickly among mall workers.
Kristi Harshbarger, co- manager of Bebe, which sells women's clothing, called the news "amazing" considering the disappointment over the impending departure of Parisian.
Plans call for Parisian to depart its two-story wing by summer 2007, with Nordstrom doing a makeover similar to how Saks Fifth Avenue remodeled the Jacobson's site in 2003 without razing the existing building.
Nordstrom will hire 300 to 400 employees.
In October, Parisian owner Belk announced its decision to sell 11 stores, including the two Indiana locations at Circle Centre and the Fashion Mall. The Downtown Indianapolis store found a buyer in The Bon-Ton Stores, a Pennsylvania-based company.
"They (Nordstrom) are amazing as far as their clientele, and they are a very reputable company that stands by their products," Harshbarger said. "I know that a lot of people don't like to make that drive Downtown to that store there."
Mark Perlstein, a partner at Carmel-based The Linder Co., a commercial real estate services firm, said Nordstrom won't be fazed by duplication. It has been seeking the right spot, he said, and "the Fashion Mall is ground zero for high-end retail."
"I think Nordstrom undoubtedly pulls from all over the city and does a have a customer base from the Northside, but in today's retail environment, everyone looks for convenience," Perlstein said.
Shoppers will notice big differences right away.
The Fashion Mall store will feature 130,000 square feet on two floors -- smaller than the three-story, 216,000-square-foot store in Circle Centre.
While the type of merchandise hasn't been decided, typically Nordstrom sells goods based on demographics of its customers. Downtown might feature more career wear; in suburbia, the inventory would be more family-friendly.
"We really feel like this will give us an opportunity to serve more of our customers," said Deniz Anders, a Nordstrom spokeswoman.
Simon spokesman Les Morris said the Downtown store will remain "business as usual" with an outlook brightened by the expansion of the Indiana Convention Center and construction of Lucas Oil Stadium.
"We think it will be a great fit," Morris said.

amel70
Dec 9, 2006, 7:07 AM
IKEA is in Michigan, also.

Chi_Coruscant
Dec 12, 2006, 1:06 AM
Here in Chicago, Nordstrom is located at Michigan Ave. Also there are another two Nordstroms in Chicago area: Old Orchard Mall in Skokie and Oak Brook Center in Oak Brook.

Erieshore
Dec 13, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hey everyone I'm new here!

With all their new expansions I wonder if Nordstrom would build a new store in Downtown Cleveland in one of the new super projects.

the pope
Dec 13, 2006, 1:10 AM
Hey everyone I'm new here!

With all their new expansions I wonder if Nordstrom would build a new store in Downtown Cleveland in one of the new super projects.

No

Avian001
Dec 13, 2006, 4:39 AM
IKEA is in Michigan, also.

Ah yes, I forgot, in Canton.

Erieshore
Dec 14, 2006, 1:30 AM
No

You don't think so? I was just wondering I guess, since Nordstrom has been expanding with multiple stores in smaller markets like Indy, and since Bloomingdale's might enter one of those new superprojects.

the pope
Dec 14, 2006, 3:00 AM
You don't think so? I was just wondering I guess, since Nordstrom has been expanding with multiple stores in smaller markets like Indy, and since Bloomingdale's might enter one of those new superprojects.

small markets with ideal market conditions

cleveland's downtown market, far from ideal conditions.

Erieshore
Dec 14, 2006, 3:09 AM
You're right, but I'm thinkng 5-10 years from now after these condo and retail projects are finished with more on the way.

UncleRando
Dec 16, 2006, 12:29 AM
^There are a lot of intangibles involved with this kind of site selection. It is more than the raw pop. numbers and economic investment in the area. While Cleveland may very well be picking up steam (much like my beloved Cincy) it does not mean that the retailers are going to start lining up :-/

columbusguy21
Dec 16, 2006, 2:42 AM
It would be sweet if they put another Nordstroms in Columbus as the Mall at Tuttle Crossing. Maybe they would consider downtown Columbus once a good, reliable company takes control of City Center and puts someting new up in its place.

Erieshore
Dec 17, 2006, 6:09 PM
^There are a lot of intangibles involved with this kind of site selection. It is more than the raw pop. numbers and economic investment in the area. While Cleveland may very well be picking up steam (much like my beloved Cincy) it does not mean that the retailers are going to start lining up :-/

Thats true. I guess it will take "guinea pig retailers" if you will to test the new market conditions before more retailers will make an investment. Stark though says none of the retailers he's approached have said no so we'll see.

SSLL
Dec 21, 2006, 3:13 AM
No, it's not one per million. Same with most places, it's not just multiply. Ikea's another four if you include the Canadian Great Lakes (Midwestern-ish) stores in Greater Toronto

samoen313
Jan 9, 2007, 4:24 AM
How come the St Louis Galleria store won't open until 2010 if its just being put into the vacant Lord and Taylor spot? It shouldn't take three years to renovate the store, should it? Or are they expanding the Galleria? Anyone know?

JMedwick
Jan 9, 2007, 4:36 PM
^ To be honest no one in St. Louis is quite sure. There are constant rummors about the Galleria looking to do a major expasion, but none has been announced. Two factors in the 2010 opening could be:

1. Nordstroms is reportadly going to knock down the L&T building and build their own whole new building. That will take longer than just an renovation of the L& T building.

2. With the major Highway 40/ I-64 rebuilding making acess to the Galleria difficult from 2008-2010, Nordstroms and the Galleria maybe looking to start up their new major anchor as a big draw to get people back to the mall after a year or two of major highway work restricting acess to the store.

samoen313
Jan 9, 2007, 6:47 PM
That is quite logical. Thanks JMedwick.

trvlr70
Jan 9, 2007, 7:27 PM
How come the St Louis Galleria store won't open until 2010 if its just being put into the vacant Lord and Taylor spot? It shouldn't take three years to renovate the store, should it? Or are they expanding the Galleria? Anyone know?

Nordstrom is quite particular about the size of their floor space. I'm sure the current L&T taylor doesn't meet requirements. Nordstom took years and years to find a suitable retail spot in Chicago. Three had opened in the burbs before the first city store existed.

erasercut
Jan 10, 2007, 12:31 AM
It says in the article that they plan to demolish the L&T store and rebuild it larger.

Vernon McGillis
Jan 16, 2007, 3:05 PM
Nordstrom is a godsend wherever it surfaces, but especially in Chicago, where a particularly deluded sham of a department store *coughMARSHALLFIELDScough* has until recently held a monopolizing grip. It seems that fate finally caught up to that city's Windbags when their precious hovel of a shop met its fate at the hands of a Malus Grandus (malus = apple, grandus = great) establishment.

2taall
Jan 18, 2007, 3:06 PM
You boys seem more excited than my girlfriend about this.

cwilson758
Jan 24, 2007, 5:19 PM
market conditions are the deciding factor, not population. Sure, population usually gets a place noticed, but when you look at Indy's 2 locations, its obvious why they are there. And besides, its not like Cincy is mamothly bigger than Indy...population is getting closer by the day.