PDA

View Full Version : ATLANTA: AmericasMart expansion

micropundit
Nov 18, 2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.americasmart.com/dictator/images/495/bldg2exp_phase1.jpg

The 6.2 million square foot manufacturer's retail mart in downtown will expand by 2 million square feet by 2007. AmericasMart bought the old Greyhound bus terminal on International Boulevard and will open a technologically advanced showroom and meeting space to help clear its waiting list of manufacturers and customers.

Jeffrey L. Portman, president and chief operating officer of AMC Inc., parent of AmericasMart in Atlanta, estimates the project will cost $150 million to $250 million.

Buck
Dec 27, 2006, 3:44 PM
Nice to see it has plenty of steet level retail.

austin356
Jan 8, 2007, 5:34 AM
This will push Atlanta over the 10,000,000 sq feet downtown exhibit space line, anyone have any totals for other cities for their respected downtown areas? It seems like 10mil would be fairly high up there.

atlantaguy
Jan 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think their only real competition is the Merchandise Mart in Chicago - that's basically it.

James Bond Agent 007
Jan 9, 2007, 4:08 AM
I thought this was gonna be a giant WalMart.

sabino86
Jan 9, 2007, 5:27 AM
I thought this was gonna be a giant WalMart.

HAHAHA

ATLBlaxican
Feb 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
So are they building more parking or is it all show/retail space???

Terminus
Mar 8, 2007, 1:13 AM
So are they building more parking or is it all show/retail space???

All show/retail. People don't really drive to the Mart. Most come from out of town via plane, and those that do drive often park at hotels and walk/take MARTA there.

alleystreetindustry
Mar 14, 2007, 11:45 PM
i don't mean to sound inane and all, and i have read alot about john portmans projects that are similar to this (i don't know if he did this one) but what is the purpose of these buildings? are they for the many conventions held in the city almost daily?

JoshYent
Mar 21, 2007, 2:08 PM
damn

atlantaguy
Mar 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
i don't mean to sound inane and all, and i have read alot about john portmans projects that are similar to this (i don't know if he did this one) but what is the purpose of these buildings? are they for the many conventions held in the city almost daily?

These AmericasMart buildings aren't for conventions, they service the wholesale trade industry. They're so large and bulky because the individual vendors maintain huge showrooms to showcase their merchandise. This is a massive part of our local economy that's largely unknown by people outside the industry.

And yeah, Portman did design this one too.:cool:

sabino86
Jun 20, 2007, 7:25 PM
Any updates on this? :cool:

ThrashATL
Jun 20, 2007, 8:42 PM
Any updates on this? :cool:

Here's an update as current as it gets.
http://www.americasmart.com/tools/webcam/

Buck
Jul 14, 2007, 2:39 PM
What floor are they on? I can't tell on the webcam... 3? 4?

echinatl
Nov 6, 2007, 2:55 PM
Why is this building going up so slowly!?