PDA

View Full Version : SAN FRANCISCO | 340-350 Fremont Street | 440 FT / 134 M | 40 FLOORS

Pages : [1] 2

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 3:37 AM
Nobody seemed to remember this project, so I though I'd start a thread about it, and shed some light on it :)

340-350 Fremont Street, 440', and 40 floors, is currently under the approved status. It is slated for a 2009 completion date.

Renderings:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2319/sftower1fo4.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/740/sftower2br4.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3364/sftower3nj2.jpg

Thanks to FourOneFive for providing these renderings :)

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 3:52 AM
Both this and 45 Lansing seem headed more upscale than One Rincon where you can get a base unit for the fairly reasonable (for SF) price of $600K.

Peebles snags last Rincon tower site
Miami developer's $250 million highrise 'what we came to San Francisco to do'
San Francisco Business Times - October 20, 2006
by J.K. Dineen
When real estate mogul Don Peebles arrived in San Francisco two years ago, he was looking for a site to create the kind of super-luxe highrise he is renowned for in Miami Beach.

Now he has found it.

Peebles is in contract to buy 340-350 Fremont St. for $40 million, a site in the heart of the emerging Rincon Hill neighborhood that is entitled for a 40-story tower with 338 units. The seller is Jackson Pacific Ventures, a company run by architect and developer Ezra Mersey.

The transaction, likely to close in December, represents the final piece of the Rincon Hill Plan, which calls for a Vancouver-style neighborhood of six slender towers on a gentle incline south of the Transbay Terminal. In addition to Peebles' tower, Rincon Hill will eventually be home to Michael Kriozere's two-tower One Rincon project; the Californian, a Richard Keating-designed project by Fifield Cos. at 375-399 Fremont St.; Tishman Speyer's two-tower Infinity development at 300 Spear St.; and Turnberry Associates' development at 45 Lansing St.

"This is what we came to San Francisco to do," said Peebles. "We came here to find outstanding residential sites where we can provide the kind of understated elegance that the market wants and has not been provided yet."

Peebles, who is developing a brick-and-timber loft project at 250 Brannan St. as well as a proposed "town center" at the former Rockaway Quarry in Pacifica, said he was drawn to the site because it is fully approved and has potential for breathtaking views of the bay as well as downtown. He called it "one of the best-located sites on Rincon Hill." The total project cost will likely be about $250 million.

"It's an exciting city. It's a very elegant city. It's a very creative city, and it's a very understated city compared to some East Coast cities," said Peebles, who in addition to South Florida has developed in Washington, D.C., Las Vegas, and downtown Detroit.

While the site is entitled for 338 units, Peebles, who developed the Bath Club in Miami, said he plans to scale back the number to about 280 and make the condos larger. The smallest units will be 1,300 square feet and the largest between 3,000 and 4,000 square feet. The pricing would likely be between $1,200 and $2,000 a square foot, which could translate to well over $5 million for the larger penthouses.

Peebles said that most of the new development in SoMa has focused on squeezing the maximum number of units into each site, and units of more than 2,000 square feet are virtually non-existent.

"When we look at what is coming on the market, it's smaller units, more apartment building living," he said. "When people are paying millions they should get something special. It's the difference between building a Cadillac and a Bentley."

Peebles said the project, with underground parking, would feature valet parking, a health club/spa and an automated concierge service that would let residents order a personal trainer or valet parking without picking up the phone.

"Our owners will get better service than a hotel guest at the Four Seasons," said Peebles.

Heller/Manus designed the building. Jeffrey Heller, a principal with Heller/Manus, said the tower is slim, with 9,500-square-foot floor plates. The northwest corner of the glass-and-precast-concrete building, is an arched all-glass concave wall. While Peebles became fully committed to the Bay Area in 2004, he actually met Heller about eight years ago when he began a low-key search for a development here. Heller said he would work with Peebles and the Planning Department to refine the building treatments over the next few months.

"I think he has a strong reputation, especially on the East Coast. He has for a long time been trying to establish a strong presence out here," said Heller. "I'm glad he got (the site)."

Michael Kriozere, who is building One Rincon Hill, said 90 percent of the first 55-story tower has been reserved and about 70 percent are in contract. He said the "strong price" of the Peebles purchase "speaks for itself."

"These are not fly-by-night developers," said Kriozere. "All the sites zoned under the Rincon Hill rezoning are now owned by strong developers who will go ahead with their projects. This confirms what we always thought, that Rincon Hill is going to be a real place, a neighborhood, that it will quickly become the new hill in San Francisco, like Telegraph Hill or Nob Hill."

The deal comes at a time when San Francisco's residential real estate market is slowing down, although much less severe than in other parts of the country. In September, average condo prices were down 3.7 percent from September 2005, although single-family homes still rose 7.8 percent.Peebles said competition could temporarily drive down prices for the 800- to 1,200-square-foot units, which most of the downtown projects offer. He said the timing on 340-350 Fremont, which is expected to be completed in 2009, should be fine.

"San Francisco has seen a slowdown in velocity and the market is going through a correction, a simple rebalancing," said Peebles. "By the time we're ready to deliver, the market will have rebalanced."

J.K. Dineen covers real estate for the San Francisco Business Times.

Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2006/10/23/story1.html?t=printable

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 4:02 AM
Boy, did they snatch up Rincon Hill in a hurry. Seeming that they're modeling it after Vancouver, they dont have many places where they can build tall towers, so I guess if developers plan to build something here, time is of the essence. This will be a nice addition to Rincon Hill, a bit pricey, but not that anyone's complaining :)

AK47KC
Oct 29, 2006, 4:18 AM
Another great project for Rincon Hill! Since Rincon Hill is already all snatched up, I think developers so start looking south of Rincon Hill or south of I-80 if they want to erect another tall residential tower. The planning commission doesn't like sharp drops in the city's skyline, so I guess they need a 30-40 story tower to smooth out the drop from the 63 story One Rincon Hill on the south side.

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 4:29 AM
I actually thought that maybe if they extended far enough into Mission Bay, maybe UC could errect a tower of fair proportions and integrate it as a hospital or such for its Mission Bay campus. But as far as directly opposite of I-80 from One Rincon Hill, they should build something of equal elevation from sea level as One Rincon Hill to make it look like two massive pillars are welcoming people to SF from the East Bay. That would be nice :)

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 4:36 AM
Another great project for Rincon Hill! Since Rincon Hill is already all snatched up, I think developers so start looking south of Rincon Hill or south of I-80 if they want to erect another tall residential tower. The planning commission doesn't like sharp drops in the city's skyline, so I guess they need a 30-40 story tower to smooth out the drop from the 63 story One Rincon Hill on the south side.

There will eventually be available lots at 100, 300, 400 and 500 Folsom (north side) as well as at two corners of the Howard/Beale intersection:

http://sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2003/10/12/mn_transbaydevelop.jpg

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 4:39 AM
Oh, so then whats been taken was the last of the spaces on Rincon Hill that were not associated with the Transbay Redevelopment Plan?

AK47KC
Oct 29, 2006, 4:43 AM
I know, they should actually do the same south of 45 Lansing too. Right now, according to the renderings of the future skyline, the south and east side of the future skyscrapers on Rincon Hill seem to form a cliff and only the north and west sides follow the stepping up rule of the planning commission. Just imagine driving through a canyon of tall highrises when you come in to SF if highrises are erected there on the south and east sides! :)

I was talking about what happens if all the sites are used up north of I-80.

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 4:46 AM
Oh, so then whats been taken was the last of the spaces on Rincon Hill that were not associated with the Transbay Redevelopment Plan?

Essentially, yes. The Planning Dept. sees the TransBay area and Rincon Hill separately.

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 4:53 AM
I know, they should actually do the same south of 45 Lansing too. Right now, according to the renderings of the future skyline, the south and east side of the future skyscrapers on Rincon Hill seem to form a cliff and only the north and west sides follow the stepping up rule of the planning commission. Just imagine driving through a canyon of tall highrises when you come in to SF if highrises are erected there on the south and east sides! :)

I was talking about what happens if all the sites are used up north of I-80.

Although looking at things as they are developing, I think The Watermark (which is actually part of the cruise terminal project) should have been a lot taller to produce the effect you are describing, it barely sticks its head above the level of the roadway as it was built. And there aren't really any more sites just to the south of the Bridge approaches, I don't believe.

The Watermark
http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2006_5_1_watermark-thumb.jpg

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 5:07 AM
:previous:

A lot, lot taller. It was dominant once, but now that One Rincon is rising, when it is finished, it will look like a midrise.

AK47KC
Oct 29, 2006, 5:11 AM
Yea, it looks like the tower should have been around 400' (122 m) to produce the stepping up effect and the same for the 250' ~80 m Bridgeview. As for sites south of I-80, it seems like there is a flat, elevated, cleared patch of dirt maybe big enough to fit one tower, but then it will be pretty crowded with I-80 on one side and an offramp on the other three. They could demolish some other lowrise buildings in around the area though.

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 5:19 AM
I was curious, how come they dont seem to concider vertical expansion of some towers instead of fully demolishing them? I know they seem to do that here in Chicago sometimes. I thought it was because of faulty seismic standards with the older buildings or because of increased expenditures.

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 5:21 AM
:previous: Those lowrise buildings are pretty much all recently rehabbed loft-style condos whose owners only just moved in and wouldn't want their homes "demolished".

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 5:24 AM
I was curious, how come they dont seem to concider vertical expansion of some towers instead of fully demolishing them? I know they seem to do that here in Chicago sometimes. I thought it was because of faulty seismic standards with the older buildings or because of increased expenditures.

They do--sometimes, like:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resources/rcc_san_francisco_2.jpg

The lighter-colored part of the building is being added right now (it's to be the Ritz Carleton Residence Club--part very upscale condo, part time-share)

Usually happens only to historic buildings like this one, though.

AK47KC
Oct 29, 2006, 5:32 AM
That small little building on the corner of 2nd and Harrison could be much taller than that in the Transbay graphic.

BTinSF
Oct 29, 2006, 5:38 AM
That small little building on the corner of 2nd and Harrison could be much taller than that in the Transbay graphic.

I'm trying to visualize that area but my recollection is that that part of Harrison (west of 2nd) is lined with one/two story undistinguished structures, many of which could eventually be torn down for housing, possibly highrise. However, I'm not sure what effect the long-term effort to preserve light industrial uses in SOMA through zoning restrictions might have on the area.

Reminiscence
Oct 29, 2006, 6:08 AM
I would best guess that thier fate is destined and tied to the future trend of residential and office space demand. If it grows great, then they may very well tear them down to make way for bigger things to come.

botoxic
Jan 8, 2007, 3:12 AM
These are the existing structures at 340 and 350 Fremont.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q149/btgibson/SF%20Buildings%2001-07/S4010019.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q149/btgibson/SF%20Buildings%2001-07/S4010024.jpg

Good riddance!

EastBayHardCore
Jan 8, 2007, 5:57 AM
Ouch, I'd hate to live next to that bunker looking thing. I believe someone either here, on SSP, or maybe somewhere else told me it's a some sorta utility substation.

botoxic
Mar 2, 2007, 7:13 AM
Just found this little tidbit in a San Francisco Business Times Story originally published on February 16th. It sounds like 340-350 may still get built, but not for a while...

Less than a year after acquiring 250 Brannan St. for $20 million as a luxury residential loft play, Florida real estate mogul Don Peebles is putting the property back on the market as offices and expects to attract offers as high as $35 million.

Peebles Corp. Senior Vice President Daniel Grimm said the firm decided to test the market after receiving a number of unsolicited offers for the property. At the same time, Peebles has been going forward with the entitlement process on the deluxe loft development, and is still applying for building permits in case none of the offers are high enough. Offers are due Feb. 23.

"As the numbers get into the low to mid 30s, it makes sense to sell," said Grimm. "Anything under $30 million and we're building."

The shifting future of the brick-and-timber former Gallo Salame plant reflects both the strengthening Web 2.0-fueled SoMa market, and the uncertainties of a weaker housing sector, according to broker Tony Crossley of Colliers International, who is handling the listing.

"I think (Peebles) will do very well," said Crossley. "Over the last 12 months a few things have changed. The sheen is off the residential condo market a little bit. ... But I think these things are less significant than the office market making a comeback."

If the 104,000-square-foot building is acquired for office space, it will have come full circle since it was leased by Internet advertising firm DoubleClick Inc. at the top of the dot-com bubble. DoubleClick leased the entire structure, but never occupied more than 30,000 square feet and had left by 2004. It had been vacant for two years when Peebles picked it up last March and proposed 54 high-end lofts.

Grimm said it has taken longer than expected to secure permits for the office-to-housing conversion and that "during that time the office market changed."

"Given the unsolicited interest as an office building, we need to understand what the market is prepared to pay," said Grimm.

While well-positioned to profit on 250 Brannan, Peebles -- a flamboyant entrepreneur sometimes called the Prince of South Beach -- has struggled to gain a toehold in the Bay Area. In November, Peebles narrowly lost a ballot measure which would have allowed him to build a mixed-use "downtown" on 87 acres in Pacifica. And early this year, Peebles dropped a plan to construct a 380-unit tower at 340-350 Fremont after he was unable to come to terms with seller A

Grimm said Peebles is still bullish on Bay Area housing and is looking at a number of potential deals.

In switching from office to residential and back to office, 250 Brannan would not be unique. Last summer, Beacon Capital Partners filed plans to build a 27-story office tower at 535 Mission St., a site that had been entitled entitled several times for both residential and office development.

Reminiscence
Jul 21, 2007, 6:13 AM
Additional renderings taken from (http://www.grubb-ellis.com/services/...spx?PropID=657) and posted by PBuchman:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3281/340fremontstid6.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4263/340fremontst1ru3.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4608/340fremontst2cd5.jpg

FourOneFive
Jul 21, 2007, 3:45 PM
Lovely renderings, but can anyone explain Heller Manus's fascination with green tinted glass? 340 Fremont, 10th and Market, and the Metropolitan towers all look like variations of the same basic design.

With the condo market cooling, I'm crossing my fingers that a luxury rental developer will acquire the rights to develop the building. Archstone-Smith, Related, Avalon, etc.

roadwarrior
Jul 21, 2007, 4:59 PM
Lovely renderings, but can anyone explain Heller Manus's fascination with green tinted glass? 340 Fremont, 10th and Market, and the Metropolitan towers all look like variations of the same basic design.

With the condo market cooling, I'm crossing my fingers that a luxury rental developer will acquire the rights to develop the building. Archstone-Smith, Related, Avalon, etc.

Well, it is very cyclical, so I'm sure that someone will purchase this very soon. It could very well go up as rentals initially and then get converted in a few years, as the condo market heats up again. With the housing and rental shortage and the prime location, I just cannot see this sitting vacant for too long.

viewguysf
May 31, 2009, 9:32 PM
From 7/21/07:

Well, it is very cyclical, so I'm sure that someone will purchase this very soon. It could very well go up as rentals initially and then get converted in a few years, as the condo market heats up again. With the housing and rental shortage and the prime location, I just cannot see this sitting vacant for too long.

Depressingly, I think that we can all see it now.

tommaso
Oct 15, 2009, 11:23 PM
What is the plan for this site now?

edwards
Dec 14, 2010, 7:34 PM
First post! The owners of 340 Fremont St., a piece of land entitled for a 400-foot condo tower, are going to the San Francisco Planning Commission this week for an extension that would preserve building permits for another 12 months.

“Based on there being steady improvement in economic and market conditions, we believe there is a reasonable possibility that 340 Fremont would commence during the next year,” wrote Mersey.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2010/12/wanted-more-time-for-rincon-hill-tower.html

ElDuderino
Dec 15, 2010, 1:43 AM
That would be great to see this get built. The lonely One Rincon Hill tower needs some company.

northbay
Dec 15, 2010, 2:38 AM
welcome edwards. thanks for sharing. lets hope they actually start something 'concrete' with this tower...

CyberEric
Dec 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
Cool, good news, thanks for posting.

fflint
Dec 15, 2010, 11:10 PM
This is just about jumping through the requisite hoops to preserve existing development rights. Nothing is getting built right now.

tommaso
Jun 12, 2011, 9:58 AM
Will anything ever get built on this site?

peanut gallery
Dec 13, 2011, 12:43 AM
Well, another year and another extension sought (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/12/340_fremont_seeks_12_more_months_as_housing_recession_r.html). Could this be the final time? For now, we'll have to settle for more renderings:

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%20Tower%202011.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202011.jpg

Source: SocketSite (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/12/340_fremont_seeks_12_more_months_as_housing_recession_r.html).

CyberEric
Dec 13, 2011, 7:21 PM
Hmmm, this thing just keeps getting dangled.

At least the renderings look slightly more attractive, sort of.

ElDuderino
Dec 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Well they are Archstone apartments now, so hopefully the move to apartments will speed this up.

StevenW
Jun 4, 2012, 12:47 AM
Hope it gets built soon. :)

peanut gallery
Sep 7, 2012, 11:11 PM
Baby steps, but at least they've filed for the construction permit. From SocketSite today (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/09/340_fremont_scoop_permits_pulled_for_400_foot_tower.html):

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%20Tower%202012.jpg

Granted a twelve-month extension to commence construction late last year, as a plugged-in reader alludes, the building permit has been filed to build a 40-story, 400-foot tower over an 85-foot podium with 345 condo mapped units and parking spaces at 340 Fremont.

At least 40 percent of the units will be two or three bedrooms. And yes, it's one-to-one parking in the building as the project was first approved in 2006. Expect a permit to demo the existing two buildings at 340 and 350 Fremont between Folsom and Harrison to soon follow.

That's an angle I haven't seen before.

Sep 7, 2012, 11:24 PM
:previous: Nice to see progress, but can someone please rescue this one from Heller Manus? Did they put ANY thought into the podium? So bland. So uninspired.

viewguysf
Sep 8, 2012, 6:58 PM
:previous: Nice to see progress, but can someone please rescue this one from Heller Manus? Did they put ANY thought into the podium? So bland. So uninspired.

Yeah, even the awful garage/loading dock or whatever doors they drew in at the bottom in front. It doesn't even look like a completed drawing.

timbad
Nov 10, 2012, 6:35 AM

rescue on the way! socketsite has updated renderings with tweaks (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/11/340_fremont_scoop_refined_design_and_far_fewer_parking.html#more) done by Handel Architects

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012%20Podium%20-%20Street.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012%20Podium.jpg

minesweeper
Nov 17, 2012, 7:20 PM
Definitely looks better than the original, where it just sort-of disappeared amongst the beige and green glass of those older, mid-rise condo towers.

I'm assuming that's supposed to be ORH2 on the left in the first rendering. If so, they could've spent some more time on a more realistic render.

Unfortunately, the closeups of the podium make the building look like a generic condo tower that you might find in San Diego or Seattle.

peanut gallery
Nov 19, 2012, 9:47 PM
Thank you, Handel, for saving another Heller Manus design. Nice work.

minesweeper
Feb 25, 2013, 7:20 PM
In case anyone is wondering the status of this project, it received its fifth (http://commissions.sfplanning.org/cpcpackets/2012.1249X.pdf) one-year extension from the Planning Commission on November 15, 2012 (http://www.sf-planning.org/index.aspx?page=3351).

Hopefully, that's the last one. They filed for the building permits back in August of 2012, but there's been no movement since.

simms3_redux
Aug 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
construction to start soon on 340 fremont, a heller/manus-designed (piece of shit design, as usual for that gang)
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2013/08/what-slow-start-andy-ball-says.html

From SFBT:

Equity Residential has hired Suffolk to build 340 Fremont St., a $160 million, 41-story rental building that will break ground later this year.

Are we sure it is the Heller Manuys design:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3281/340fremontstid6.jpg

or the design with the Handel tweak:

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012.jpg

simms3_redux
Aug 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
delete

easy as pie
Aug 23, 2013, 3:35 AM
yeah, i missed the update last year. it's the handel design, a major improvement, if you ask me.

peanut gallery
Aug 24, 2013, 3:54 AM
Definitely an improvement. Rincon Hill is set to look really nice on the skyline in a few years.

simms3_redux
Aug 25, 2013, 6:52 AM
Site as it looks today - for remembrance hehe.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/340Fremont_zps038781bf.jpg

viewguysf
Aug 25, 2013, 9:20 PM
Site as it looks today - for remembrance hehe.

Thanks for the remembrance simms--there were some phenomenally wild and outrageously fun motorcycle club parties held there in the 70s. I remember them fondly. :grouphug:

simms3_redux
Aug 28, 2013, 12:05 AM
340 Fremont is gearing up. Curbed SF had some great information today and a new rendering!! Looks PHENOM.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/27/handels_340_fremont_moves_forward_in_rincon_hill.php

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/340%20fremontrincon-thumb.png

Suffolk (contractor) to break ground before year end.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2013/08/what-slow-start-andy-ball-says.html?page=2

41 stories, Handel designed, 440 ft

fimiak
Aug 28, 2013, 3:38 PM
Borrowing these from Cal Escapee from SSC (who got them from socketsite) since the project is now underway.

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012%20Rear.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012%20Podium%20-%20Street.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/340%20Fremont%202012%20Podium.jpg

I love it. SF should be proud of the future this project foreshadows. A complete contrast compared to what sits in this spot now. Handel should be given the key to the city for saving this, and NeMa. You can see the lower facade is very similar to that of NeMa, but far more neutral on 340 Fremont.

minesweeper
Aug 30, 2013, 4:09 PM
Really looking forward to this one breaking ground, along with 399 Fremont.

A year from now, with 45 Lansing already under way, we could have three 400-footers rising within about a block of each other, with the One Rincon North Tower wrapping up.

slock
Nov 8, 2013, 3:10 AM
Curbed has pictures of the construction on site:

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/11/07/highrise_watch_mission_street_rising_rincon_hill_descending.php

minesweeper
Nov 9, 2013, 8:25 PM
The Planning Department finally approved the building permit yesterday:

http://i.imgur.com/jlY1lUu.png

Hopefully the demo permit is just a formality at this point.

peanut gallery
Nov 10, 2013, 7:23 AM
A year from now, with 45 Lansing already under way, we could have three 400-footers rising within about a block of each other, with the One Rincon North Tower wrapping up.

Not to mention 201 Folsom just another block to the east.

mt_climber13
Nov 10, 2013, 2:54 PM
Is Handel the new Heller Manus? I sure hope so!

simms3_redux
Dec 1, 2013, 8:03 PM
I'm still waiting for progress here - 11/30

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction%20Nov%2030%202013/340Fremont1_zpsc0b8ab6c.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction%20Nov%2030%202013/340Fremont1_zpsc0b8ab6c.jpg.html)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction%20Nov%2030%202013/340Fremont2_zps47d1430a.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction%20Nov%2030%202013/340Fremont2_zps47d1430a.jpg.html)

minesweeper
Dec 4, 2013, 11:02 PM
Welp, looks like someone appealed the building permit within the allotted 15-day window after issuance:

http://i.imgur.com/5kLQ74r.png

This building's been in the pipeline for over 7 years, so what's another couple of months?

timbad
Dec 31, 2013, 9:24 AM
socketsite says demo permit now approved (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2013/12/demo_approved_but_permit_for_40story_rincon_hill_tower.html), but building permit still pending the appeal

JWS
Jan 2, 2014, 7:02 PM
I don't have nearly as much experience tracking SF development as you all...this appeal, worrisome or just a minor hurdle? Would love to see both Fremont Street projects and 45 Lansing make it through to completion, as well as Lumina, to really flush out Rincon Hill.

viewguysf
Jan 2, 2014, 10:04 PM
I don't have nearly as much experience tracking SF development as you all...this appeal, worrisome or just a minor hurdle? Would love to see both Fremont Street projects and 45 Lansing make it through to completion, as well as Lumina, to really flush out Rincon Hill.

Appeals are all too common since they are ridiculously easy to make, but my feeling is that it's a minor hurdle. 45 Lansing's construction is well under way, finally rising out of an incredibly deep hole due to the levels of underground parking. The Lumina towers are definitely going to rise, so no problem there either. I also really want this project, and especially 399 Fremont, make it through to completion in the near future!

JWS
Jan 3, 2014, 12:07 AM
Appeals are all too common since they are ridiculously easy to make, but my feeling is that it's a minor hurdle. 45 Lansing's construction is well under way, finally rising out of an incredibly deep hole due to the levels of underground parking. The Lumina towers are definitely going to rise, so no problem there either. I also really want to this project, and especially 399 Fremont, make it through to completion in the near future!

Good to hear. This is my second most anticipated, behind 399 Fremont which I am borderline obsessed with. Lumina has yet to grow on me, although I know most love it. And 45 Lansing is easily my least favorite. Sort of funny that they are rising/have certainty in the reverse order of my preferences! Regardless, going to be a very beautiful neighborhood once completed.

simms3_redux
Jan 24, 2014, 5:10 AM
So they are prepared to move quickly on this one - Crescent Heights, right? They did NEMA and are doing 45 Lansing a block away. I think they are chomping at the bit to build this beautiful baby. Hopfully the appeal doesn't take too long.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20Jan%2023%202014/340Fremont1_zps89b2314d.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20Jan%2023%202014/340Fremont1_zps89b2314d.jpg.html)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20Jan%2023%202014/340Fremont2_zpsfb99f627.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20Jan%2023%202014/340Fremont2_zpsfb99f627.jpg.html)

minesweeper
Feb 18, 2014, 5:23 AM
The appeal of the construction and demolition permits will be heard this Wednesday, February 19, according to the latest agenda posted by the Board of Appeals (http://www.sfgov3.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=6636).

The appellant is the HOA for The Metropolitan. The agenda contains no information about what in particular they are protesting other than the permits finally being issued.

ElDuderino
Feb 19, 2014, 11:08 PM
The appellant is the HOA for The Metropolitan. The agenda contains no information about what in particular they are protesting other than the permits finally being issued.

They are protesting because they are super super jealous, and the tower will block their bay views...:P

a very long weekend
Feb 20, 2014, 1:52 AM
seriously, with the way that appeals work, it would be wise for developers to get their approvals and early site work permitting done on nearby lots before the ~10 new soma residential towers begin to see occupancy ~2016. imagine the combined might of 2000 more tower view nimbys. it's natural, but i still shudder to consider it.

biggerhigherfaster
Feb 20, 2014, 1:56 AM
I dunno how feasible this is, but when condo developers/HOAs/owners get approval to build and/or take over a parcel/building, they should be forced to sign a contract with the city that precludes them from opposing future condo developments in any other parcel in the city

too late now for Metropolitan, but could you imagine the irony when the developer/HOA/owner of 340-350 fremont begins opposing future developments for 2020 or thereafter?

minesweeper
Feb 20, 2014, 3:34 AM
The meeting is being broadcast on SFGovTV2: http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=47

Initially, it's all speakers in favor of the project, mostly construction union members.

The speaker in favor of the appeal (Mr. White) says they aren't opposed to the building's construction, but just its design. He's saying 340 Fremont has a unique design that's not necessarily earthquake safe, and that its 2006 design is not up to the latest standard. He's arguing for "elevated performance standards" instead of "minimum performance standards", mentioning its proximity to the PG&E substation. A commissioner is asking why a PG&E representative isn't at the meeting if the project's design is of concern.

Now a speaker in favor of the project says it's being built to 2010 code, not 2006. The developers of 340 Fremont tried to reach an agreement with The Metropolitan to underpin that building with tiebacks, but couldn't reach an agreement, so they will only do internal shoring. The developers of 340 Fremont haven't heard from PG&E about any concerns about the project.

And with that, the commission just voted 4-0 to deny the appeal and uphold the permits.

peanut gallery
Feb 20, 2014, 5:25 AM
^Nice! I have high hopes that this building will turn out great.

A commenter at SocketSite said that the appeal was based on seismic concerns.

rocketman_95046
Feb 20, 2014, 6:02 AM
:fireworks::djparty::fireworks:

ltsmotorsport
Feb 20, 2014, 7:21 AM
A commenter at SocketSite said that the appeal was based on seismic concerns.

:rolleyes:

minesweeper
Feb 20, 2014, 5:13 PM
So they are prepared to move quickly on this one - Crescent Heights, right? They did NEMA and are doing 45 Lansing a block away. I think they are chomping at the bit to build this beautiful baby. Hopfully the appeal doesn't take too long.

Actually, this one is by Equity Residential. Their only other SF project under way is Mission Bay Block 13 (http://www.nibbi.com/projects/mission-bay-block-13/). When Archstone was sold off, EQR also picked up development sites (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2013/01/18/zell-back-in-san-francisco-in-a-big-way.html?page=all) at 1000 16th St, 801 Brannan, and One Henry Adams, which all seem to be in some sort of holding pattern right now.

It looks like they were putting all their attention on getting 340 Fremont going, and then got hit with this 3 month appeal delay. It will be interesting to see how fast EQR starts demolition now. I wonder if they can get started as soon as today?

timbad
Mar 16, 2014, 8:42 PM
Actually, this one is by Equity Residential. ... It will be interesting to see how fast EQR starts demolition now. I wonder if they can get started as soon as today?

it's hard to tell if there is active work on the interiors, but not much to see from the outside yet:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/13200773523_2297953d69_b.jpg

simms3_redux
Mar 27, 2014, 1:52 AM
^^^They've demo'd the shorter 2-story building on the right, and most of the taller building on the left:

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/340fremont_zps905dfcab.jpg

minesweeper
Apr 8, 2014, 4:34 AM
Curbed has more photos of the ongoing demolition:

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/04/07/340_fremont_demo_underway_residential_scraper_to_follow.php

peanut gallery
Apr 10, 2014, 7:45 PM
It looks to me like they've taken down almost everything (except one last small piece of wall on the south end of the site) and are pretty much just cleaning up the remaining ruble:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/13753796495_ab9a4a32ae_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/13754172804_743184efeb_b.jpg

A peek through to the site from First St with cranes at other projects popping in from everywhere:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/13754170424_dd5200614e_b.jpg

Reminiscence
Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM
Today 4.18.14:

Looks like most, if not all, of the demolition is complete?

http://s30.postimg.org/o1hvb72vl/IMG_3716.jpg

minesweeper
Apr 25, 2014, 4:31 AM
Demolition must be done, because they held the ceremonial groundbreaking today.

SAN FRANCISCO—It’s official. Today is the groundbreaking ceremony for Equity Residential’s 340 Fremont, the new modern landmark 40-story tower here in the Rincon Hill district of San Francisco.

http://www.globest.com/news/12_844/sanfrancisco/multifamily/Equity-Residentials-340-Fremont-Moves-Dirt-345278.html

Another luxury highrise residential tower begins its rise in San Francisco. Equity Residential, a very busy developer of late, recently started construction on a 40-story, 348-unit apartment tower at 340 Fremont St.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2014/04/340-fremont-equity-residential-highrise-housing.html?page=all

Joined Equity Residential and @mayoredlee for the 340 Fremont groundbreaking ceremony this morning

https://twitter.com/sfdbi/status/459368051394105344

peanut gallery
Apr 25, 2014, 5:57 AM
It's really exciting to see all these Rincon Hill projects rise after years of envisioning them.

timbad
Apr 28, 2014, 7:16 AM
charging ahead with digging...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5552/14045636385_3cebb86272_b.jpg

simms3_redux
May 9, 2014, 6:18 AM
Excavating...

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction%20May%202014/340Fremont_zpse5a0984f.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction%20May%202014/340Fremont_zpse5a0984f.jpg.html)

simms3_redux
May 19, 2014, 5:54 AM
I walked by today and there was a lot more machinery on site and they are basically dug out. I bet a crane goes up for this real sooN!

simms3_redux
Jun 3, 2014, 4:32 PM
Sunday evening (June 1):

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/Early%20June%202014/SFJune2014Construction1andMore120_zpsd87f1415.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/Early%20June%202014/SFJune2014Construction1andMore120_zpsd87f1415.jpg.html)

soldier piles going in for shoring/excavation.

timbad
Jul 10, 2014, 4:45 AM
still playing in the dirt...

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2926/14617230895_bfc7afe025_b.jpg

simms3_redux
Jul 18, 2014, 8:26 AM
Excavation looked nearly complete tonight; just a little bit of dirt to remove on the north side. Crane should be up in a week or two.

peanut gallery
Jul 18, 2014, 7:07 PM
^Great! I've heard some criticism of the architecture, but I think this will be a handsome building and look forward to it getting built.

simms3_redux
Jul 22, 2014, 6:41 PM
The deep hole from July 21:

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6571_zpsf2a7092f.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6571_zpsf2a7092f.jpg.html)

With ORH in background:

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6572_zps8f0b5284.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6572_zps8f0b5284.jpg.html)

The last corner needing excavation. There is already machinery down at the base of the hole, which is too deep to see the bottom of.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6573_zpsa7d46b9a.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/SF%20Construction%20July%2021/IMG_6573_zpsa7d46b9a.jpg.html)

rocketman_95046
Aug 8, 2014, 8:46 PM
Tower Crane going Up!:cheers:

you can zoom in on the site from this cam.

http://oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/salesforcetower

simms3_redux
Aug 8, 2014, 10:09 PM
Damn, beat me to it! Just looked out the window and saw that. Looks like it will be a Luffing (it will have to be).

simms3_redux
Aug 19, 2014, 2:55 AM
Crane pic, I requested a move to Construction.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/340fremontcrane_zpsd3de9d71.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/340fremontcrane_zpsd3de9d71.jpg.html)

KevinFromTexas
Aug 19, 2014, 5:31 AM
Have the foundations begun yet?

simms3_redux
Aug 19, 2014, 6:53 AM
Yes - this is a picture on Curbed from almost a week ago that indicates foundation work has commenced over about half of the site. Also, the project sponsor is Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR). Doesn't get any more secure than that ;) All things considered, they made it after many years through SF's rigorous planning process, they hired an expensive architect (Glenn Rescalvo at Handel), demo'd multiple buildings, dug a hole deeper than you would find in nearly any other city, and now are paying close to $1,000/day for that crane.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/08/15/photostalking_rincon_hills_development_bonanza.php#more

EQR broke ground on a separate $224M, 453 unit project elsewhere in SF at the same time, both projects of which were discussed on their 1Q14 earnings call. They are long on the market, which is considered the best or perhaps the 2nd best multifamily market in the country right now.

mt_climber13
Aug 19, 2014, 8:04 AM
Crane pic, I requested a move to Construction.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/340fremontcrane_zpsd3de9d71.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/340fremontcrane_zpsd3de9d71.jpg.html)

¡ooɥooʍ

simms3_redux
Aug 24, 2014, 8:18 PM
this hole is so deep, you really can't see down there:

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/SF%20Construction/August%202014%20SF%20Construction/IMG_6982_zps16f770a7.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/jsimms3/media/SF%20Construction/August%202014%20SF%20Construction/IMG_6982_zps16f770a7.jpg.html)

peanut gallery
Aug 27, 2014, 7:26 PM
^Deep and difficult to get near. I basically held this above a fence and hoped it would show something:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5589/14868289109_5b72b2a10b_b.jpg

You can definitely see rebar down there.

simms3_redux
Oct 6, 2014, 5:36 PM
Steel rising courtesy of:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15452518965_a829a78f9c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pxucwM)Tow Rincon Tower (https://flic.kr/p/pxucwM)

fflint
Oct 6, 2014, 9:35 PM
That pic shows five different construction sites!

timbad
Oct 7, 2014, 4:08 AM
That pic shows five different construction sites!

I count six-and-a-half!

1. 340 Fremont
2. 375 Fremont
3. Lumina
4. blocks 6/7
5. 181 Fremont
6. 350 Mission
6.5 TransBay Terminal (it's in the shot, but no crane evidence)

Hallidie
Oct 8, 2014, 10:02 PM
Since all the big construction cranes I see in SF are yellow, why is this one white? Different company?

simms3_redux
Oct 13, 2014, 8:03 AM
Getting easier to see down...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15328914869_f447b3a95b_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pmyGkF)San Francisco Early October 2014 049 (https://flic.kr/p/pmyGkF) by simms3sf (https://www.flickr.com/people/69740708@N03/), on Flickr