PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78

Freeway
Jul 14, 2013, 8:53 PM
Cityscape is depressing. The place is just an abject failure. I have been down there several times this summer and it always strikes me how dead the place is. It is a wonder to me how Charming Charlie, Jos. A. Bank, and Urban Outfitters are still open. I have never seen a customer in any one of those places. Do they make any money at all? I noticed whatever shop was in between CVS and the Verizon knockoff has shut down. Some of the restaurants, like Potbelly's, keep the strangest hours. Closing at 4 pm on a Saturday? Not open on Sunday? Really? No thanks, I'll just hop in my car and drive to the one on 7th Ave and McDowell that keeps normal hours. Meanwhile the yogurt shop on the corner stays open til 11 seven days a week?

The only times I see decent foot traffic through Cityscape is on weekdays during lunch and on game days. Even during those times there are establishments that still remain mysteriously empty. I just don't see how the property management company that owns the apartments on top of the Palomar expect to charge top rents. What are tenants paying a premium for? Living near establishments that close before normal working people are even home? Being miles and miles from a simple full sized, decent grocery store? It's just baffling.

Phoenician
Jul 14, 2013, 11:05 PM
^ Really don't know what this guy is talking about. I go down to Cityscape for the CVS all the time and its usually quite busy. And of course, during the fall and spring there are a good number of events there.

Prestige Worldwide
Jul 14, 2013, 11:33 PM
^ Really don't know what this guy is talking about. I go down to Cityscape for the CVS all the time and its usually quite busy. And of course, during the fall and spring there are a good number of events there.

Copper Blues/Comedy Club/Lucky Strike/Lustre/Tilted Kilt also add a good foundation for weekend nights. I was down there 2 weekends ago and there was a good crowd down there considering it is the Summer.

Cityscape = not perfect, but a great addition to Downtown.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 14, 2013, 11:39 PM

I don't think Freeway has even been downtown from how his posts read. First, the nearest full-scale grocery store isn't "miles and miles" from downtown. A Safeway is on the corner of 7th and McDowell. We could use one in the downtown core but we will need a couple thousand more residents IMO. 2nd, all the stores in CityScape have customers shopping every time I am in the area, which is daily since I live nearby. They are getting more traffic from hotel guests and ASU students. Of course, until residents start filling the void the summer months will always be a lull outside of the weekdays.

There will be plenty of people willing to pay to live in the apartments above the Palomar (The Residences at CityScape). 44 Monroe is nearly 100% occupied. Not one of the studios and 1 bedrooms are vacant so it is likely that The Residences will fill up quickly. I'm sure the amenities will be extremely nice and having hotel services available is a huge plus.

Arquitect
Jul 15, 2013, 1:33 AM
I don't think Freeway has even been downtown from how his posts read. First, the nearest full-scale grocery store isn't "miles and miles" from downtown. A Safeway is on the corner of 7th and McDowell. We could use one in the downtown core but we will need a couple thousand more residents IMO. 2nd, all the stores in CityScape have customers shopping every time I am in the area, which is daily since I live nearby. They are getting more traffic from hotel guests and ASU students. Of course, until residents start filling the void the summer months will always be a lull outside of the weekdays.

There will be plenty of people willing to pay to live in the apartments above the Palomar (The Residences at CityScape). 44 Monroe is nearly 100% occupied. Not one of the studios and 1 bedrooms are vacant so it is likely that The Residences will fill up quickly. I'm sure the amenities will be extremely nice and having hotel services available is a huge plus.

From what I heard from the property manager, Roosevelt Pointe is also filling up really quickly. Most of the resident are expected to be students, but apparently around 25% of the potential renters will be full-time residents. So we will definitely begin to see more people walking around downtown soon.

Freeway
Jul 15, 2013, 1:41 AM

CVS? Really? Care to mention anything about the shop next to CVS that shut down in the past week or so? How about the retail shops I mentioned that are empty?

Copper Blues/Comedy Club/Lucky Strike/Lustre/Tilted Kilt also add a good foundation for weekend nights. I was down there 2 weekends ago and there was a good crowd down there considering it is the Summer.

Cityscape = not perfect, but a great addition to Downtown.

Maybe for the likes of Stockton or Tucson. I think what you call a good crowd and what I call a good crowd differ tremendously.

I said full sized. The Safeway you're talking about is not only smaller than most Safeways, it's dirtier, and it closes at some ridiculously early time.

Can you actually tell me you have seen customers in any of the stores that I mentioned? Also, if Cityscape is increasing in popularity by the second, why are stores still closing? No one said that there won't be anyone at these new apartments. You can always find some rural or suburban transplant who will pay top dollar to feel like they're living the urban life.

Prestige Worldwide
Jul 15, 2013, 2:09 AM
Maybe for the likes of Stockton or Tucson. I think what you call a good crowd and what I call a good crowd differ tremendously.

Oh brother. Downtown Phoenix is never going to resemble an episode of Portlandia, as much as some might want it to be. There are only so many uber hip/progressive/artist/creative class people to populate the area (though they will ultimately fuel most of the new Downtown residential we need). Downtown retailers/restaurants/bars (particularly CityScape) have found a market by appealing to a broad cross section from the Metro area, and while I don't find Suburbanites or the Scottsdale-crowd enticing to hang out with, they are a larger pool of people to attract Downtown, and while they frequent CityScape they can witness that Downtown isn't a forgotten crime ridden hole from 30 years ago (and that perception has legitimately changed). And then when we ask for taxpayer-funded infrastructure to support more Downtown projects, these people are likely to be more supportive of those initiatives.

I said full sized. The Safeway you're talking about is not only smaller than most Safeway's, it's dirtier, and it closes at some ridiculously early time.

Can you actually tell me you have seen customers in any of the stores that I mentioned? Also, if Cityscape is increasing in popularity by the second, why are stores still closing? No one said that there won't be anyone at these new apartments. You can always find some rural or suburban transplant who will pay top dollar to feel like they're living the urban life.

Wah. Wah. Wah. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Downtown Phoenix complete with more residents and retail. Downtown has made incredible progress over the last 5 years in the face of the worst economic downturn in 75 years (ASU, LightRail, Roosevelt gaining identity and notoriety, more dining/bars, CityScape, uptick in residents). I've lived here my whole life, if you went in a time machine 20-25 years ago and said Downtown would have those assets in the future, you would have been looked at like an alien lifeform.

Again, Downtown and CityScape aren't perfect, but I like being apart of creating something and that's what is going on right now in Downtown. Moving to a trendy Downtown somewhere else in the U.S. would feel like a cop out to me.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 15, 2013, 3:46 AM
I said full sized. The Safeway you're talking about is not only smaller than most Safeways, it's dirtier, and it closes at some ridiculously early time.

It is a full-sized grocery store. It isn't the size of Super Walmart which is unnecessary that close to downtown; nonetheless, it is the same size as most Safeway stores. That Safeway is also open daily, as in 7 days a week, from 5am until midnight. It is also one of the cleanest Safeways which isn't surprising given that most of its shoppers are from the chic historic districts: Encanto-Palmcroft, Willo, Roosevelt, etc. It was one of the first in Arizona to introduce the new layout including wood flooring. It was also one of the first retail locations to offer car-charging stations for Tesla and other electric vehicles.

And yes, I can actually tell you I have seen customers in those stores at CityScape including myself and my neighborhoods. I've also seen plenty of ASU students in those stores and Urban Outfitters is extremely popular with that demographic. It is not mostly rural and suburban transplants looking to "feel like they're living the urban life" but those who do not wish to ever live in staid suburban, cookie-cutter subdivisions. I am sure there are some suburban transplants sick of having to drive just to go to a movie, bar, work or restaurant and there is nothing wrong with that change of pace.

Jjs5056
Jul 15, 2013, 4:21 AM
Unfortunately, I can corroborate the feeling of being lost in the development. It is very disorienting to come out of a garage and want to go to Lucky Strike, seeing "Bowl" signs along the perimeter, and not knowing you have to walk around, head inside the complex and then upstairs to actually enter. Additionally, the retail on the opposite end, like Arrogant Butcher, Strand, Potbelly's, etc. is invisible from that center plaza, accessible only by heading up unnecessary level grades.

Almost every time I go there, people ask how to get to Arrogant Butcher.

The worst is the lack of any retail or life along Jefferson, which all but traps foot traffic from heading that way and complementing Luhrs, etc.

I have grown to understand the setup, but it really is confusing at first. I also hope the apartments, Palomar, Sushi restaurant and bar opening at Luhrs helps somehow get Iefferson looking urban.

combusean
Jul 15, 2013, 4:28 AM
It is a full-sized grocery store. It isn't the size of Super Walmart which is unnecessary that close to downtown; nonetheless, it is the same size as most Safeway stores.

I have a friend who used to work for safeway corporate in their real estate division. It is one of the smallest stores in the entire division which covers Arizona and Nevada.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 15, 2013, 4:54 AM
I have a friend who used to work for safeway corporate in their real estate division. It is one of the smallest stores in the entire division which covers Arizona and Nevada.

The average Safeway is 47k sq ft.
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyProfile?symbol=SWY

The one located on McDowell is about that size. Not surprising it isn't the size of a store in north Phoenix given the real estate and age of the neighborhood. However, it is a full-size grocery store and much larger than drug stores like Walgreens and CVS. There are smaller Safeways called "The Market" tested in California but they didn't continue building them. Those stores were 15k-24k sq ft.

Jjs5056
Jul 15, 2013, 5:12 AM
Guys, Freeway has had nothing negative contributions to this forum regarding downtown in general. I have saidnthis before, but the majority of posters here hope the best for our core, but unfortunately, this poster does not what that. There is plenty of criticism to be discussed regarding CityScape, but criticism comes from a place of wanting the best form the city. I think it's best to not waste energy on people who don't respond to logic or cannot see any positive aspects of a development that has brought office, entertainment, foot traffic, bars, dining, hotel guests and soon, permanent residents, to a part of downtown that was formerly home to mainly transients and a dying park.

CityScape is not perfect but its benefits are innumerous. Once residents move in, I think we will soon see more residential development in the area, with things like grocery stores finally following thereafter.

Butta
Jul 15, 2013, 7:41 AM
Unfortunately, I can corroborate the feeling of being lost in the development. It is very disorienting to come out of a garage and want to go to Lucky Strike, seeing "Bowl" signs along the perimeter, and not knowing you have to walk around, head inside the complex and then upstairs to actually enter. Additionally, the retail on the opposite end, like Arrogant Butcher, Strand, Potbelly's, etc. is invisible from that center plaza, accessible only by heading up unnecessary level grades.

Almost every time I go there, people ask how to get to Arrogant Butcher.

The worst is the lack of any retail or life along Jefferson, which all but traps foot traffic from heading that way and complementing Luhrs, etc.

I have grown to understand the setup, but it really is confusing at first. I also hope the apartments, Palomar, Sushi restaurant and bar opening at Luhrs helps somehow get Iefferson looking urban.

This is exactly what I meant. When you get out of the garage through the buildings, you are not sure where to go. Once in the plaza, you can't see Arrogant Butcher and others. Maybe some better signage will fix it. And yeah, after dinner, we were heading back and while in the plaza, a couple asked us where Arrogant Butcher was, nuff said. I really wanted to like Cityscape, but maybe I had my hopes too high. I just know that a better design would have made this place so much better. At any rate, hopefully this will be a learning experience to developers. I foresee a major remodel in less 10 years to this place, a la Mesa Riverview.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 15, 2013, 3:21 PM
This is exactly what I meant. When you get out of the garage through the buildings, you are not sure where to go. Once in the plaza, you can't see Arrogant Butcher and others. Maybe some better signage will fix it. And yeah, after dinner, we were heading back and while in the plaza, a couple asked us where Arrogant Butcher was, nuff said. I really wanted to like Cityscape, but maybe I had my hopes too high. I just know that a better design would have made this place so much better. At any rate, hopefully this will be a learning experience to developers. I foresee a major remodel in less 10 years to this place, a la Mesa Riverview.

Mesa Riverview? Oh you suburbanites...we want it to BETTER fit the urban landscape, not make it worse. ;) I also think this may have something to do with suburban expectations and the associated hatred of walking and love of convenient parking. How hard is it to walk around to discover an area? What if in the future the garage for CityScape is routinely filled and a suburbanite has to park offsite and walk to CityScape from blocks away, or heaven forbid, discover they can use the light rail to get there? Will they complain that the area is lacking signage to point them in the right direction?

I know I mentioned I live downtown, so to me, it just sounds silly that you can't figure out where to go. However, I think CityScape should have more signage in the garage letting people know what exit to use via the corresponding street. The biggest failure of CityScape, from an urban prospective, is the lack of storefronts facing Jefferson and Washington on the retail block (especially Jefferson). The sidewalk along Washington is also too narrow.

dtnphx
Jul 15, 2013, 4:17 PM
Freeway will never be happy with downtown, Phoenix or life on this planet as it exists. The reality is pretty clear: Cityscape is ugly and poorly designed, but has created a synergy in that part of downtown that did not exist at all. Remember Patriot's Park? A dog park without the dogs. Even if stores close at Cityscape, it doesn't mean the development is a failure It has hundreds of office workers, hundreds of soon-to-be residents, plus over a hundred hotel guests all in one project. There's no denying the project is a success AND that success will be a catalyst for the empty lot to the east and hopefully for the retail portion of Luhrs.

Freeway, take that lemon out your mouth; you've sucked on it enough.

westbev93
Jul 15, 2013, 5:19 PM
If you cannot navigate Cityscape, then you are either blind or obstinate. There is signage all over the elevators coming up from the parking garages. There are map signs in various spots. There are giant exterior signs. How many more signs do you need? And while the inward-facing design is not particularly urban, it does make it easy to find things. You just stand in the middle and you can see everything on that block.

And if all else fails, you can just ask someone for directions. The downtown ambassadors are constantly harassing me with the offer of directions and tips. I don't know how you could wander aimlessly without being (helpfully) accosted by them. I bet the employees of just about any business could have directed you to Arrogant Butcher. And not being able to find Arrogant Butcher? How many giant flashing signs do they need to attach to that building to help you? I thought that was probably the most obvious business there-street level, on a corner, big lit signs on two streets, not blocked by a building on the east so you can see the place from Washington.

Or instead of asking for help, you could always just explore on your own. It is two blocks so it's not like you have to search a square mile. What do you do when you visit a new city? Have someone hold your hand and walk you around?

Phoenician
Jul 15, 2013, 6:13 PM
Care to mention anything about the shop next to CVS that shut down in the past week or so? How about the retail shops I mentioned that are empty?

Not sure, not really in the market for women's clothing. I'd guess that is was just the wrong location for them. The other shops seem to be doing fine and I wasn't aware of any vacancies.

FitnessPower
Jul 15, 2013, 8:34 PM
All I know is Cityscape has more pull to it than the empty lots and park that were there prior. I stop in Cityscape every time I'm downtown to hangout for a drink and have noticed the traffic is slowly getting better and should continue that trend as downtown housing continues to grow. It is a legit downtown option... May not be a homerun but is a solid double or triple, which is better than not going up to bat in the first place!

gymratmanaz
Jul 15, 2013, 8:39 PM
WESTBEV93 - So well said!!!!!

gymratmanaz
Jul 15, 2013, 8:41 PM
WESTBEV93 - Others do tend to treat Cityscape like some kind of unsolvable Rubics Cube or maze.

nickw252
Jul 20, 2013, 1:51 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/34smfmh.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/b9d2ja.jpg

phoenixwillrise
Jul 20, 2013, 5:55 PM
WESTBEV93 - Others do tend to treat Cityscape like some kind of unsolvable Rubics Cube or maze.

What is the status of that Medical Records Co. or whatever it was that suppose to take up the entire building where the police museum use to be? Was that guy legit and is there an update on that? Seems like that would have bought a some more bodies downtown at least for the lunch hour. Downtown Phoenix always seems to loose out on Corporations that could make a huge impact like the Apollo Group building their high rise off of the 10/17 and 32nd St and now State Farm taking 2.5 million square feet at the Tempe Town Lake. Who is doing the promo for DT PHX?

DevilsRider
Jul 24, 2013, 3:07 PM
Took a couple shots from the LR station at 3rd/Jefferson yesterday afternoon.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3739/9359658162_098893a620.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5517/9356881529_ef4d321322.jpg

dtnphx
Jul 24, 2013, 4:35 PM

Looking good! The two buildings look great together and the apartment building above the Palomar has really made a difference and has some real presence! Cool.

HX_Guy
Jul 24, 2013, 5:41 PM
Yeah I love the slenderness of the apartment building from that angle, looks great.

OZ1970
Jul 25, 2013, 6:01 PM
Those are nice shots from that angle. This building is making a bigger impact on the skyline than I thought it would!

nickw252
Aug 3, 2013, 4:07 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2j5gy0.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/1238gia.jpg

Leo the Dog
Aug 3, 2013, 3:49 PM
Those are nice shots from that angle. This building is making a bigger impact on the skyline than I thought it would!

Yeah I agree, looks good. Just imagine the view after two more towers are built on the lot next to Colliers and another hotel on the south side of the Colliers block.

It'll be years probably decade+, but still so much developable land for DT to continue to transform.

ASUSunDevil
Aug 3, 2013, 6:30 PM
Yeah I agree, looks good. Just imagine the view after two more towers are built on the lot next to Colliers and another hotel on the south side of the Colliers block.

It'll be years probably decade+, but still so much developable land for DT to continue to transform.

A decade + would be pathetic. The hotel next to Colliers seems to be the closest to breaking ground next. Isn't the vacant lot east of CityScape supposed to break ground by 2015 if they want tax breaks?

Leo the Dog
Aug 5, 2013, 4:41 AM
A decade + would be pathetic. The hotel next to Colliers seems to be the closest to breaking ground next. Isn't the vacant lot east of CityScape supposed to break ground by 2015 if they want tax breaks?

Heres whats pathetic, The hotel pad at the collier center has been sitting there empty for, what 15 years? I don't fully understand why nothing has been built considering all the foundation work is complete. What a prime piece of DT!

KevininPhx
Aug 5, 2013, 4:02 PM

That looks great. Love this building.

gymratmanaz
Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 AM
What looks to be another big electric sign appears to be going up on the corner where the yogurt place is. The steel framework is up.

nickw252
Aug 13, 2013, 1:53 PM
Pic from inside the US Airways Center

http://i41.tinypic.com/k9z38x.jpg

dtnphx
Aug 13, 2013, 4:25 PM
That looks great!

Jjs5056
Aug 17, 2013, 11:01 PM
Not the greatest pictures, but I didn't want to cause a wreck. Wish there was street-side parking along the Luhrs retail.

Does the Sushi restaurant open up to Jefferson? Still hoping that block can turn around in the end from dreadful (only service and garage openings) to salvageable (hotel and apartment entrances, maybe Sushi?).

Anyway, here they are. So glad these apartments were built. Aside from the obvious impact on foot traffic and population, the addition turned an eyesore into a unique, modern-looking midrise that isn't embarrassing to be on our 0,0 point.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/9531700733_6a2f54ccd1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69283890@N02/9531700733/)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/9531700675_9820d885d0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69283890@N02/9531700675/)

HooverDam
Aug 18, 2013, 5:59 AM
Anyway, here they are. So glad these apartments were built. Aside from the obvious impact on foot traffic and population, the addition turned an eyesore into a unique, modern-looking midrise that isn't embarrassing to be on our 0,0 point.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/9531700733_6a2f54ccd1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69283890@N02/9531700733/)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/9531700675_9820d885d0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69283890@N02/9531700675/)

Nah its still embarrassing. The building is so grey and hideous. It desperately needs some colored awnings to give it some variety, as well as shade the windows.

And like you said, the ground floor with all the crazy garage entrances, its just a mess.

Hopefully we'll learn our lesson for the future (unlikely) and preserve our alleys. Otherwise we'll have more and more inward facing projects like CityScape and Arizona Center and our actual streets will continue to devolve into automotive sewers.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 18, 2013, 6:23 AM
Nah its still embarrassing. The building is so grey and hideous. It desperately needs some colored awnings to give it some variety, as well as shade the windows.

I actually like the color scheme and the amenities. I do like the way the colorful marques and awnings look against the gray and blue.

What I do not like are the massive entrances to the garage, so no disagreement there. And yes, developers need to build storefronts and entrances along streets and sidewalks. I'm not against courtyards and plazas since they are traditional southwest design elements that offer shade when done correctly. Plazas and courtyards should not be an excuse to leave street facing façades as blank walls. The blank walls on Jefferson are hideous. The best areas of Cityscape are along Central and 1st Street.

Jjs5056
Aug 19, 2013, 12:05 AM
Yep, I think we can all agree the design sucks from a ground-level perspective. My point was simply that being left with 1 office building and the low rise Palomar would've been a disaster. These apartments at least transformed that Palomar building into something less offensive visually and gave us a second structure within the project that can be seen along the skyline.

My issues with what's been done to Jefferson have documented several times in this thread.

AZScraper
Aug 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
What looks to be another big electric sign appears to be going up on the corner where the yogurt place is. The steel framework is up.

http://i41.tinypic.com/20j0g9u.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yya2v9.jpg

AZScraper
Aug 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
Just a guy living on the edge.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2vuiy4l.jpg

The Penthouse floors are getting spiral stair cases, 4 in all so far for the northside.
http://i40.tinypic.com/o7sisk.jpg
They just put up the red iron bars yesterday & today.

phxSUNSfan
Aug 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yya2v9.jpg

Too bad they couldn't find ways to attach these LED/digital billboard to the buildings so they look like they were part of the design. This one doesn't look bad compared to the billboard over CVS, but if it wrapped around it would luck much nicer. I have seen more "intrusive" billboards in Asia and Europe, on historic buildings no less, so I'm not shocked to see this.

Arquitect
Aug 20, 2013, 11:37 PM
Too bad they couldn't find ways to attach these LED/digital billboard to the buildings so they look like they were part of the design. This one doesn't look bad compared to the billboard over CVS, but if it wrapped around it would luck much nicer. I have seen more "intrusive" billboards in Asia and Europe, on historic buildings no less, so I'm not shocked to see this.

Probably for the best, this means that maybe some day, someone with a brain will buy the building and get rid of the hideous billboards. One can only wish.

cygnusloop99
Aug 21, 2013, 2:36 AM
Probably for the best, this means that maybe some day, someone with a brain will buy the building and get rid of the hideous billboards. One can only wish.

I certainly hope so. I thought the special downtown advertising district would give us a Times Square look but these signs are appalling.

phoenixwillrise
Aug 21, 2013, 3:10 AM
I certainly hope so. I thought the special downtown advertising district would give us a Times Square look but these signs are appalling.

Often times a cheesy sign criteria is a "sign" of desperation.

dtnphx
Aug 21, 2013, 4:22 PM
It's all about revenue. They'll make a tidy bundle with these billboards. And, if history continues, they will never, ever, ever be taken down. Their leases stick.

nickw252
Sep 1, 2013, 7:49 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/xy2cn.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q8n7dd.jpg

bwaynoh
Sep 23, 2013, 7:49 PM
The crane came down this weekend! Cityscape posted a few pics on their page (http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/).

Also, a new retail store is taking West of Soho's old spot.

Lawless Denim & Co to offer custom, handmade jeans in downtown Phoenix

By Tanya Nguyen
September 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm
State Press

Lawless Denim & Co., a new shop where shoppers can get custom, quality jeans, is set to open in CityScape in downtown Phoenix in October.

The store will have an on-site designer, Maya Vita, and tailors on staff to create custom jeans for about $200.

Customers will have a selection of 25 different denims and ten different styles. They can also go in as their own designer, in which case “the sky is the limit,” said owner Roman Acevedo

Check out the full article here (http://www.statepress.com/2013/09/19/lawless-denim-co-to-offer-custom-handmade-jeans-in-downtown-phoenix/).

cantstandya
Oct 7, 2013, 12:17 AM
few photos from today

http://i.imgur.com/nAEpRAm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/irHMZBB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NXNqZvE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BILLDRr.jpg

HX_Guy
Oct 7, 2013, 1:05 AM
Very nice! Thanks for posting the pictures.

HX_Guy
Oct 12, 2013, 5:35 PM
Lawless Denim to open first shop at CityScape in Phoenix

Tim Gallen
Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

Lawless Denim & Co. will open its first store this weekend at the CityScape development in downtown Phoenix.
The company’s 3,200-square-foot shop opens Oct. 12 and will offer 25 types of selvaged denim for custom-made jeans. The shop will serve as both a retail and manufacturing site.
Lawless Denim is the brainchild of Phoenix entrepreneur Roman Acevedo, whose custom jeans will be priced at about $245. As every pair will be handmade, the manufacturing area will include professional tailoring stations, vintage sewing machines and cutting tables.
“It’s all about keeping with tradition and bringing each customer a truly unique and custom-made pair of jeans that will easily become their favorite pair of jeans,” said Acevedo. “You can’t get anything like this in Arizona.”
In addition, the shop will have off-the-rack jeans that can be tailored to fit, ranging in price from $85 to $180. Other items include denim jackets and leather goods, such as belts and wallets.
The new store will be open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 7 p.m.
Lawless Denim joins a diverse lineup of retailers and restaurants at CityScape, including Charming Charlie, Urban Outfitters, the Arrogant Butcher and Five Guys Burgers.

nickw252
Oct 14, 2013, 4:15 AM
Lawless Denim & Co. will open its first store this weekend at the CityScape development in downtown Phoenix.

The company’s 3,200-square-foot shop opens Oct. 12 and will offer 25 types of selvaged denim for custom-made jeans. The shop will serve as both a retail and manufacturing site.

Lawless Denim is the brainchild of Phoenix entrepreneur Roman Acevedo, whose custom jeans will be priced at about $245. As every pair will be handmade, the manufacturing area will include professional tailoring stations, vintage sewing machines and cutting tables.

“It’s all about keeping with tradition and bringing each customer a truly unique and custom-made pair of jeans that will easily become their favorite pair of jeans,” said Acevedo. “You can’t get anything like this in Arizona.”

In addition, the shop will have off-the-rack jeans that can be tailored to fit, ranging in price from $85 to $180. Other items include denim jackets and leather goods, such as belts and wallets.

The new store will be open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 7 p.m.

Lawless Denim joins a diverse lineup of retailers and restaurants at CityScape, including Charming Charlie, Urban Outfitters, the Arrogant Butcher and Five Guys Burgers.

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/10/11/lawless-denim-to-open-first-shop-at.html

nickw252
Oct 28, 2013, 2:11 PM
The Hotel Palomar aims to help its guests better explore Phoenix with the launch of its bicycle-rental program and pocket square bike maps during a debut party Sunday, which will also include free bike tune-ups and a community ride.

Guests participating in the community bike ride will be led using one of Hotel Palomar’s new cycling maps, which highlights popular restaurants, museums and parks in Phoenix. The featured cycling route on Sunday is the shortest route and will take about one hour, Hotel Palomar’s general manager Jim Hollister said.

Hollister said the new cycling maps will help hotel guests better navigate downtown Phoenix and the surrounding area and participate in the growing cycling trend around the city. The maps also list where bike racks are located and family friendly areas.

“People are surprised to see what downtown Phoenix has to offer. And when you get on a bike and are able to see it up close and personal, it’s a different experience,” Hollister said. “We want the general public of downtown Phoenix to be able to enjoy biking, but also people who are visiting from around the world to see what we have and what’s available in downtown Phoenix.”

The party will kick off at 2 p.m. with tune-ups courtesy of the Bike Cellar, followed by refreshments and a community bike ride led by Phoenix Spokes People at 4 p.m. Guests are encouraged to dress their best, as the most “Dapper Dude” and “Dapper Dame” will each win $50 gift certificates to British Bicycle Company. The hotel’s specialty bicycles will be available to rent for the community ride and picnic baskets will also be available to purchase.

Supporters of Hotel Palomar’s cycling maps believe that the launch party and community ride will help promote cycling in Phoenix as a whole. British Bicycle Company owner Lindsey Kohrt said the community ride itself will help spread the word of cycling in Phoenix.

“I think when we’re riding around it will give people who aren’t part of the ride some exposure. The ride itself will gain some attention from passersby on the street,” Kohrt said. “It’s good to just spread the word that Phoenix is becoming a cycling-friendly city and this is gaining popularity.”

Hotel Palomar’s new cycling maps have gained the support of cycling organizations around Phoenix, including Phoenix Spokes People. Organizer Lisa Parks said the hotel’s new maps set it apart from other hotels that offer bicycles to rent because the maps provide guests with routes for cycling to hot spots in Phoenix, rather than just a bicycle.

Parks also said the community ride, which will have a “little black dress” theme, will help establish that cycling is an activity that does not have a dress code.

“I think a lot of times people think if you’re riding a bike they think you’re riding in spandex and getting all sweaty and people are worried about riding to work,” Parks said. “We want people to know that you can put on your regular clothes and ride to work. It’s just a way we get from point A to point B.”

Jim Hollister acknowledged that cycling is an up-and-coming form of transportation and said he hopes guests at Hotel Palomar can join in the trend.

“There’s more people riding bikes than have ever ridden bikes and we want to showcase that to our guests as well,” he said.

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/10/25/49678/hotel-palomar-bicycle-rental-maps/

rocksteady
Nov 1, 2013, 9:41 PM
I'm guessing floorplans are available for the Palomar apartments? Does anyone know when they will start renting?

Looking at the other downtown forums (SD, Austin, NYC, Chicago) saddens me to see all the under construction or proposed buildings...and none for Phoenix. :( Really wish this city would step it up. There is a ton here going on, but nothing quite iconic and skyline changing yet.

nickw252
Nov 11, 2013, 3:39 AM
The Cityscape Residences website was updated with floor plans and a photo gallery. The 2 and 3 bedroom units look nice. It's too bad all of the units don't have balconies though.

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/floor-plans/studio/

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/gallery/exterior/

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z53ywh.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/15ga6ht.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/egepf9.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/4lrapw.png

gymratmanaz
Nov 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
I bought a pair of jeans at Lawless. What a great place. Great vibe and look. The owners said they were already getting a great reaction and sales, and they have not even started to really advertize yet.

phoenixwillrise
Dec 2, 2013, 2:58 AM
The Cityscape Residences website was updated with floor plans and a photo gallery. The 2 and 3 bedroom units look nice. It's too bad all of the units don't have balconies though.

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/floor-plans/studio/

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/gallery/exterior/

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z53ywh.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/15ga6ht.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/egepf9.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/4lrapw.png

I imagine City Scapes Exterior has to be just about wrapped up anybody in Phoenix nearby CS that can post some photos?

pbenjamin
Dec 20, 2013, 5:20 PM
CityScape Residences "Apartments coming January 2014"

Surround yourself with luxury at CityScape Residences. Situated atop the contemporary 10-story Hotel Palomar, this high-rise apartment tower extends 24 stories above street level, offering a dynamic and exciting location for destination living in the heart of downtown Phoenix. Indulge in the cosmopolitan lifestyle with high-end home finishes, expansive downtown views and full access to 4-star boutique hotel amenities.

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/

Leo the Dog
Dec 20, 2013, 5:47 PM
CityScape Residences "Apartments coming January 2014"

http://www.cityscaperesidences.com/

Spacious apartments. Studios at 587 sqft. 1b 867 sqft. Looks nice.

HX_Guy
Dec 20, 2013, 7:21 PM
There is also an 840 sq ft studio plus other sizes, and a 1385 sq ft 1 bedroom. Lots of options...almost too many?

alexico
Dec 21, 2013, 1:33 AM
I bought a pair of jeans at Lawless. What a great place. Great vibe and look. The owners said they were already getting a great reaction and sales, and they have not even started to really advertize yet.

thanks for heads up, i will check them out I work downtown and need some new jeans. I assume it is similar to scottsdale jean company in N scottsdale? a jeans boutique with many brands, styles and price points?

alexico
Dec 21, 2013, 1:37 AM
There is also an 840 sq ft studio plus other sizes, and a 1385 sq ft 1 bedroom. Lots of options...almost too many?

I have lived in 2 high rise buildings in town (optima biltmore and now W6) my thing is all view. I need a good view so I am willing pay more or have less SQ FT for a higher unit with a great view.

1 bedrooms in w6 go the fastest ive been told from property mgmt. I think the wide range allows more young professionals downtown. I think the variance is a good thing as prices will be flexed to allow for greater occupancy.

dtnphx
Dec 23, 2013, 1:01 AM
Met friends at Blue Hound Kitchen at The Palomar this past Friday. Food was really really creative and tasty. What impressed me was most though was being at Cityscape. People were everywhere, the ice skaters, shoppers, tourists...it was hoppin'! It felt very urban and diverse. Really, put me in the Christmas spirit. Nice to be surprised by something that I've dismissed on occasion.

Sepstein
Dec 23, 2013, 4:26 AM
I was at the copper blues a couple of Saturdays ago and the place was going off along with most stuff in Cityscape! I agree it was a real nice too see! I know there's a couple other bars on the same street but further down like bar smiths and so. Would be great to see some fill in the middle plus maybe that Adams street thing going could create a real destination place not just one cool spot! We stayed at the downtown Hyatt and walked to Copper Blues wouldve been really cool to have a night scene from there all the way to cityscape instead of those dead zones!

poconoboy61
Jan 24, 2014, 1:41 AM
The Downtown Phoenix Journal posted an article today about the CityScape Apartments, the last phase of CityScape. The first residents are expected to move in February 1, but the entire project will not be completed util April. Rent starts at $1027 for a studio, $1200 from a 1 bedroom, and $2000 for a 2 bedroom. Very reasonable, IMO, for downtown and for the amenities of room service, a pool, and a 24 hour fitness center.

Compared to the initial renderings in 2006, I would say that the development fell far short, but at least something was built. This development adds a lot of energy into downtown.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2014/01/23/cityscape-residences-living-it-up-downtown/

rocksteady
Jan 24, 2014, 4:42 AM
The Downtown Phoenix Journal posted an article today about the CityScape Apartments, the last phase of CityScape. The first residents are expected to move in February 1, but the entire project will not be completed util April. Rent starts at $1027 for a studio, $1200 from a 1 bedroom, and $2000 for a 2 bedroom. Very reasonable, IMO, for downtown and for the amenities of room service, a pool, and a 24 hour fitness center.

Compared to the initial renderings in 2006, I would say that the development fell far short, but at least something was built. This development adds a lot of energy into downtown.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2014/01/23/cityscape-residences-living-it-up-downtown/

Sad the initial plans never planned out, but this is better than nothing. I have a couple of friends moving in soon so I can't wait to check them out.

Let's all hope they are successful at renting them all out quickly to finally give downtown some much needed good news on residential high rise living. .

alexico
Jan 26, 2014, 4:51 AM

those are cheap prices if you ask me!! (compared to other high rise condos) I did notice 44 Monroe prices are a bit more but the SQ per each unit is amazing there

WCArch
Jan 26, 2014, 5:04 AM
Cityscape has turned out to be pretty unattractive, in my opinion. It looks like a child could have designed it. Colors are cool but please, please, please Phoenix....no more boxes.

BTW check out this new blog: http://westcoastarch.blogspot.com/

has some articles pertaining to Phoenix and should have one or two up about CityScape soon.

Jjs5056
Jan 26, 2014, 5:28 AM
I think the 2nd tower is decent looking, but tower 1 could've been built anywhere, and the retail block was a disaster. Part of it can't be blamed on RED: the air rights were pulled and so apartments were a no-go above the retail, and the requirement for public space all but guaranteed an inward design to incorporate a plaza of some sort. But, the huge gray walls, massive rooftop (how awesome would a lawn be for dining or farmers markets/concerts?), tacky billboards were all their doing.

But, ultimately, the biggest failure of all is what CityScape did to Jefferson. The Luhrs buildings deserve much more than a series of loading zones and garage entrances facing them, and with all the talk about the new Luhrs hotel and the Barrister building, it's very sad we lost the chance to have 2 sides of shopping leading into our sports district.

Le sigh.

WCArch
Jan 26, 2014, 5:57 AM
But, ultimately, the biggest failure of all is what CityScape did to Jefferson. The Luhrs buildings deserve much more than a series of loading zones and garage entrances facing them, and with all the talk about the new Luhrs hotel and the Barrister building, it's very sad we lost the chance to have 2 sides of shopping leading into our sports district.

Totally Agreed. I always thought that that was incredibly tacky. Woulda been cool to have that sort of streetscape/pedestrian oriented environment like in the interior of CityScape. RED had a huge opportunity to completely transform Downtown Phoenix and, quite honestly, blew it. I can't help but wonder what the development would have looked like had the original plans been implemented and not scaled back (The one with 4 towers).

Jjs5056
Jan 27, 2014, 2:54 AM
Like I mentioned, they were kind of forced into a box given the requirements of including a park/public space within the design, so the back of house had to go somewhere. The east side of the development is actually pretty damn good. There is a ton of street level action beneath the Palomar and the office tower.

The two remaining towers would've been essentially what we got with the office and hotel towers. A nice chunk of street level retail, but without the horrible, suburban pedestrian bridge/change of grade.

**PURELY HYPOTHETICAL**

I almost wish that, once they knew the apartments were out, they pulled back from the PSP block and somehow got another mid-rise apartment tower built on the north side of the Colliers lot instead. The PSP retail turned out so cheap and such a waste of space, and the retail mix would make so much more sense in a true urban, street-facing environment. Lucky Strike, Copper Blues and Gypsy Bar are perfect on the north side across from Bar Smith and PHX; the restaurants would thrive anywhere, and Urban Outfitters could go on the east side that has most visibility toward Colliers and sports fans.

Then, a limited budget could be thrown into PSP pending changes to the market where they could think of a better floor plan sans apartments. Changes in the meantime could include billboards surrounding a PHX bird monument, used as advertising revenue in the day, and playing films on weekend nights; cleaning up the dead lawns and adding water features and seating.

//dream.

floc34
Mar 12, 2014, 3:34 AM
More businesses are heading to Downtown Phoenix, AZ with the opening of The Pizza Studio and V’s Barbershop at CityScape Phoenix.

The Pizza Studio, a fast-casual, create-your-own pizza restaurant, will open tomorrow next to Urban Outfitters.

V’s Barbershop will open its 9th Valley location at CityScape with a 5-chair shop. It will be the first V’s to obtain a liquor license and serve craft beer (only $2) and wine (only $4).

http://www.azcentral.com/business/arizonaeconomy/articles/20140311new-barbershop-to-serve-beer-and-wine-at-cityscape-phoenix-lm.html

Jjs5056
Mar 13, 2014, 2:47 PM
Ah, didn't realize the barbershop served alcohol; I'd been to the one in Scottsdale Quarter for business, and while it was fun, I'm not sure I'd go on my own dime. Good to see unique places like that opening, but odd we haven't heard much buzz about the new openings.

A new salon has also replaced the former one on the upper level near Urban Outfitters.

With the addition of the barbershop, and a dry cleaners next to Blue Hound, CityScape's retail is 99.9% leases; only 1 space remains - on the second level of the office tower, next to the Barbershop, overlooking 1st St.

2nd floor retail is tough - not surprised to see "destination retail" like Copper Blues, Lucky Strike, and Stand Up Live survive, while the others come and go. I suppose the new residents would help, however.

CityScape is sponsoring a small fundraiser event I'm putting together for HALO Animal Rescue (along with FEZ, and Phoenix Art Museum tried, but the timing didn't work out; so, if you're debating on where to get drinks or brunch in midtown, definitely go with FEZ!), so I'm going to have to be nice for quite a while. :) I'm confirming receipt of the prizes today, and am going to slip in a few friendly suggestions. Never hurts!

combusean
Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 PM
Offtopic, but thank you so much for working with HALO. I got my cat Tucker from HALO, got their advice for my other cat, and they've been on my Christmas gift list ever since.

Jjs5056
Mar 13, 2014, 9:31 PM
Offtopic, but thank you so much for working with HALO. I got my cat Tucker from HALO, got their advice for my other cat, and they've been on my Christmas gift list ever since.

That's awesome! This will be my 3rd year hosting a fundraiser for them; first year I even considered obtaining sponsors. They're a fantastic organization, and so grateful for every dollar sent their way. Very happy a co-worker introduced me to them a few years back. In my fantasy world where PetSmart builds their HQ tower downtown, the urban dog park will be anchored by a new center for them.

To be slightly more on-topic: after thanking her, I simply mentioned whether they had considered adding rooftop patios atop the retail annex to offer Copper Blues, Lucky Strike and Gypsy Bar the best views of Phoenix's most historic sites (alternative ideas being open green space to hold their free Yoga and to host events such as a farmer's market, sidewalk sale, etc.). Had to sneak in a suggestion in there somehow... that roof is simply awful, and ruined by view when I stayed at the Palomar last summer.

It's touches like those that make Phoenix seem so mid-level.

gymratmanaz
May 20, 2014, 12:19 PM
Heard about it and couldn't find it. Now it opens on Thursday. The barber shop and bar, I forget the name, opens on Thursday. It is located where the Russian Vodka Bar was going to go, on the north east side of the office tower, across from Tilted Kilt. I went inside. It looks really cool. Looks like high quality barber and all the amenities + a full bar. I talked to the owner and he seemed like a good guy.

exit2lef
May 20, 2014, 3:59 PM
Heard about it and couldn't find it. Now it opens on Thursday. The barber shop and bar, I forget the name, opens on Thursday. It is located where the Russian Vodka Bar was going to go, on the north east side of the office tower, across from Tilted Kilt. I went inside. It looks really cool. Looks like high quality barber and all the amenities + a full bar. I talked to the owner and he seemed like a good guy.

V is the name of the barbershop. I used to go to the original location in Arcadia. I now go to another barbershop but will consider V at CityScape if I'm ever looking for a new place.

KevininPhx
May 20, 2014, 6:53 PM
V is the name of the barbershop. I used to go to the original location in Arcadia. I now go to another barbershop but will consider V at CityScape if I'm ever looking for a new place.

This is a business worth supporting. It's a homegrown franchise with locations opening up around the country. The guy who started it is a barber-entrepreneur.

gymratmanaz
May 20, 2014, 6:58 PM
I really liked the vibe inside. The owner that I talked to really has a great attitude and business idea. Having a beer or drink while waiting makes it almost worth going early or letting the guy after you go first!!!!! :)

Jjs5056
May 21, 2014, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Sucks that he was left with, IMO, the worst spot in CityScape. Or, do you think the hotel and gym traffic balances out the lack of foot traffic/visibility? Too bad an extra space couldn't fit in along Washington or between Jos A Bank and Charming Charlie's.

I think it might've helped to have had a Drybar/women's version next door.

Hope it does well. I think this makes CityScape retail 100% filled.

turpentyne
May 27, 2014, 10:55 PM
delete.. not meant for this thread.

floc34
May 28, 2014, 5:46 AM
Surf’s up in the heart of the desert this summer as CityScape Phoenix hosts Surfing on Central, a 13-week, family-friendly event offering a wave simulator, beach blanket movie nights, professional flowboarder performances, DJs and a special summer staycation hotel package.

Open daily starting June 1 and running through Labor Day Sept. 1, CityScape’s Patriots Square park will transform into a surfer’s paradise with the FlowRider® Mobile from FlowRider, Inc., a wave simulator that creates never-ending waves with over 38,000 gallons of perfect surf, ideal for beginners and experts. With 400-square-feet of ripping ride space, surfers will hang ten in a whole new way while learning to surf, do tricks and have fun.

Flowboarding is a hybrid boardsport that has the look of surfing, the ride of snowboarding, the tricks of skateboarding and the boards derived from wakeboarding.

In addition to the FlowRider, Surfing on Central will be home to lounge chairs, a tiki bar and more. Throughout the summer, there will be “Beach Blanket Movie Nights” where guests can enjoy surf movies under the stars and on Saturday nights catch “Airwaves” from 7pm until 10pm featuring a local DJ spinning the hottest summer hits and pro-flowboarders showing off their skills. Ladies Night is every Thursday from 6pm until 10pm where ladies buy one ticket, get one free.

To kick things off, CityScape will host a flow jam on Saturday, May 31 from 7 until 10 p.m. with professional flowboarders Sean Silveira, Adam Muller and Daniel Tarapchak showing off their shredding skills and signing autographs along with Red Bull DJs, games, prizes and plenty of beach-themed fun.

For those looking for the ultimate summer staycation, Kimpton’s Hotel Palomar Phoenix is offering a “Toes on the Nose Surfs Up!” package from $119/night that includes deluxe accommodations, two tickets to FlowRider and a 20 percent discount at LUSTRE Rooftop Garden for guests with a FlowRider ticket. Reservations can be booked at www.hotelpalomar-phoenix.com or 602-253-6633 (rate code: FLOW).

Located at CityScape Phoenix, Surfing on Central will be open seven days a week from 10am until 10pm from June 1 through September 1. The event is free and open to the public, with the exception of FlowRider that is available for $25 per person for 30 minutes with a maximum of eight guests per half hour. Riders can also test their skills on “The Mechanical Wave”, which is $5 for five attempts. Hours and pricing may vary throughout the summer. The most up-to-date information will be available online. Surfers must be at least 42” tall. Party packages and memberships will be available where discounts will be given for multiple sessions purchased, like the Blue Membership where riders receive two free sessions with the purchase of five sessions for $125.

Reservations are required to purchase tickets for the FlowRider. For more information about Surfing on Central and to find out how to book a reservation, visit www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider. Easy, convenient and ample underground parking is available and validated by many retailers.

THIS SATURDAY (May 31): To kick things off, CityScape is hosting a flow jam from 7pm until 10pm this Saturday with professional flowboarders Sean Silveira, Adam Muller and Daniel Tarapchak showing off their shredding skills and signing autographs along with Red Bull DJs, games, prizes and plenty of beach-themed fun.

SURFING ON CENTRAL OPENS TO THE PUBLIC THIS SUNDAY & IS OPEN THROUGH LABOR DAY:
A wave simulator ($25/session)
Beach Blanket Movie Nights (free)
Professional flowboarder performances weekly (free)
“Airwaves” with local DJs every Saturday (free)
Ladies Night every Thursday (buy 1, get 1 free)
Special summer staycation package at Hotel Palomar Phoenix (from $119/night, including 2 tickets to FlowRider)

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider/

ASU Diablo
May 30, 2014, 8:24 PM
Looks like Central Ave is shutting down once more for "Surf on Central" (similar to Ice Rink feature over the holidays). I, for one, am for it. Just another reason to go downtown.

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider/

TAZ4ate0
Sep 25, 2014, 5:53 PM
Hi everyone. I have a quick question that I didn't find the answer for after looking through some of the Phoenix and cityscape pages. So here here goes: Has Copper Blues closed its doors at cityscape? I see that they are opening a tempe location, and I checked their website and found no immediate useful information there. I hope not, that would be sucky. Thanks for your help in advance.

gymratmanaz
Sep 25, 2014, 6:00 PM
It was open the other day. It seems to be very busy.

Lawless is gone. I heard they moved to a warehouse location. Anyone know for sure? Anyone know what might go in its place?

How is Ghost Bar doing next to Lucky Strike?

combusean
Sep 26, 2014, 12:19 AM
From Lawless's instagram: (http://instagram.com/p/s476vejAxF/)

Hey everyone, we're excited to finally be able to announce that we have outgrown our Cityscape location and have made the move only two blocks away into the historic warehouse district! We appreciate your patience during this time as we transition into opening at our new location start next Thursday, September 18th! #ChangeIsAGoodThing #MovinOnUpFollow

Jjs5056
Sep 26, 2014, 12:43 AM
The reviews of Lawless are pretty bad; surprised at this news. Wonder which warehouse? Assuming Jackson/1st St?

Vintage Industrial was looking for new space... Jackson would be pretty awesome with Warehouse operations on upper levels/in the back and showrooms in the front for Phoenix-based businesses like Lawless and Vintage, mixed with local breweries and wineries, etc.

HooverDam
Dec 3, 2014, 11:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/p7NUOEG.jpg

So it looks like the corner facing Jefferson is getting a new entrance punched into it, which is good news. Some place called Grabbagreen (http://grabbagreen.com/) is going in there. So that's good.

exit2lef
Dec 3, 2014, 11:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/p7NUOEG.jpg

So it looks like the corner facing Jefferson is getting a new entrance punched into it, which is good news. Some place called Grabbagreen (http://grabbagreen.com/) is going in there. So that's good.

Interesting. I wonder if part of the Chloe's Corners space is being reallocated for this restaurant. The Corner does well but has way more seating than is needed. Grabbagreen is a gluten-free eatery, and I like my food with extra gluten, so I'm not sure how much of a fan I'll be. Still, it's good to see more businesses and more street presence.

Jjs5056
Dec 5, 2014, 5:13 AM
That's great. One small step toward eradicating CS's failure of addressing Jefferson in its design.

I wonder if it will be a full entrance or more of a to-go type of bar/window?

HX_Guy
Dec 5, 2014, 4:40 PM
Are we sure they didn't take out the window just as a temp access for materials? I see the bottom bricks are still there. :/
And it looks like there is a door to the right of the opening (with the hiring sign on it)? Is that new?

HooverDam
Dec 5, 2014, 5:00 PM
Are we sure they didn't take out the window just as a temp access for materials? I see the bottom bricks are still there. :/
And it looks like there is a door to the right of the opening (with the hiring sign on it)? Is that new?

The door is new I believe. To the right of the door is a wheelchair ramp that heads north. I believe there will be steps put in going south (left) from the door, that's what it looks like.

They may also be doing a patio right on the corner. I didn't realize those were sliding doors before, so...we'll see.

gymratmanaz
Dec 5, 2014, 6:18 PM
The door is new. Too funny few of us even noticed it in the picture. I saw the removed window and wondered if it would be a door. POWERS OF OBSERVATION!!!! WOW.

HX_Guy
Dec 9, 2014, 6:13 AM
Chris (gymratmanaz) sent me these photos over the weekend of the new place.

It looks nice inside but I think they did a pretty poor job with the entrance, it looks like a side entry door to me, not a main entrance. The glass floor to ceiling window do look like they open, but just for fresh air. I don't see why they couldn't have had stairs leading up to that and have the entrance there, but maybe there wasn't the space on the sidewalk to have a proper slope.

http://s3.postimg.org/k7lugf38z/Screen_Shot_2014_12_08_at_11_11_46_PM.jpg
http://s3.postimg.org/7et52r29f/Screen_Shot_2014_12_08_at_11_11_55_PM.jpg
http://s3.postimg.org/vxzrxsw1f/Screen_Shot_2014_12_08_at_11_12_05_PM.jpg
http://s3.postimg.org/iicr8cnjn/Screen_Shot_2014_12_08_at_11_12_12_PM.jpg

HooverDam
Dec 9, 2014, 5:05 PM
I think you're right about their not being enough room for a proper slope to use the sliding doors as an entrance.

However, couldn't they have done a patio to the left of the stairs? It would've been nice, that way the sliding doors would have a reason to be open more often.

Ah well.

exit2lef
Dec 9, 2014, 5:25 PM
When I stopped by yesterday during lunch, workers were building a railing outside the newly added door, and customers were told to enter Grabbagreen via Chloe's Corner (There's a door between the two dining rooms) until the railing is done.

gymratmanaz
Dec 9, 2014, 5:42 PM
Looks like a nice addition! The ramp is awesome for wheelchair access and for all from the center of Cityscape. The steps are nice from the corner. The inside is very nice! Looking forward to trying the food!

AZScraper
Jan 8, 2015, 11:51 PM
Looks like Fractured Prune Doughnuts is expanding to CityScape in the near future. They are okay but can get a little too cake-y. I wonder where they would setup at? Lawless old space?

"And on Jan. 22, the same franchisees, Mark and Karen Prygocki, plan to open another store at CityScape, which is inside the 12-block epicenter of major Super Bowl-related activities that are expected to draw a million visitors to downtown Phoenix."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/dining/2015/01/07/fractured-prune-doughnuts-expands-glendale-phoenix/21399515/

gymratmanaz
Nov 11, 2015, 4:10 PM
They have started putting the skating rink in. Sure would like to see the CitiScape holiday decorations and activities continue to grow bigger each year!!!!

Red Robot
Nov 11, 2015, 4:32 PM
I heard a rumor that Urban Outfitters may be closing their store at CityScape and opening a new location at Uptown Plaza (Central & Camelback), presumably some time next year. Just hearsay so far.

floc34
Aug 16, 2019, 10:11 AM
Is there a new business under construction in the old Charming Charlies location?