PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78

Tylerrrr
Jun 28, 2012, 1:55 AM
No no no... It looks like a billboard you'd see driving down the highway! I hate it for downtown.

I took some friends to the palomar hotel pool lounge the other day, and from it you can see those huge ads by chase field. Everyone I was with looked confused about all the advertising, and could only remark on how "big" the ads were. No one said it was cool, or exciting, or added anything... Unlike when I took friends to LA Live in January... The way the screens and ads and lights are incorporated into the design, literally everyone I was with said, "woah, cool" as we walked through it.

The new cityscape ads? Not cool, just blatant, trashy advertisement.

floc34
Jun 28, 2012, 3:01 AM
No no no... It looks like a billboard you'd see driving down the highway! I hate it for downtown.

I took some friends to the palomar hotel pool lounge the other day, and from it you can see those huge ads by chase field. Everyone I was with looked confused about all the advertising, and could only remark on how "big" the ads were. No one said it was cool, or exciting, or added anything... Unlike when I took friends to LA Live in January... The way the screens and ads and lights are incorporated into the design, literally everyone I was with said, "woah, cool" as we walked through it.

The new cityscape ads? Not cool, just blatant, trashy advertisement.

Cityscape/Legends Entertainment District shouldn't be in the same sentence as LA Live, as someone mentioned earlier much of the entire project seems to be a complete after thought. Heck the signage at Westgate seems much cooler than Cityscape/Legends.

phxSUNSfan
Jun 28, 2012, 3:41 AM
I don't mind the billboards and digital signs. If anything they need more to cover up the blank and drab walls on CityScape.

HooverDam
Jun 28, 2012, 4:21 AM
I don't mind the billboards and digital signs. If anything they need more to cover up the blank and drab walls on CityScape.

It would be fine if thats what they actually did with the LED signs, I think thats what we all thought would happen. But instead we have these huge signs just sitting cattywhompus on top of the building. I just don't understand how a decision like that gets made, how does the fucking City approve that? How does a designer come up with that? How is everyone who works for RED/CityScape not saying anything/not be embarrassed by shit like this?

It just feels sometimes like we can't fucking get anything right in this City. Its an epidemic thats in the very core of the Cities bones somewhere. We used to do it right, I've seen the photos! What the fuck happened?

phxSUNSfan
Jun 28, 2012, 4:27 AM
It would be fine if thats what they actually did with the LED signs, I think thats what we all thought would happen. But instead we have these huge signs just sitting cattywhompus on top of the building. I just don't understand how a decision like that gets made, how does the fucking City approve that? How does a designer come up with that? How is everyone who works for RED/CityScape not saying anything/not be embarrassed by shit like this?

It just feels sometimes like we can't fucking get anything right in this City. Its an epidemic thats in the very core of the Cities bones somewhere. We used to do it right, I've seen the photos! What the fuck happened?

I agree. The design of CityScape is horrible and unfortunately nothing can be done now. I am just waiting for them to cover those walls with something. They should have placed the billboards on those blank walls first but every city has those digital billboards siting atop retail even if it looks ridiculous. I hate what they have done to centuries-old buildings in Europe with ads and digital displays.

reguru
Jun 28, 2012, 4:36 AM
I agree. The design of CityScape is horrible and unfortunately nothing can be done now. I am just waiting for them to cover those walls with something. They should have placed the billboards on those blank walls first but every city has those digital billboards siting atop retail even if it looks ridiculous. I hate what they have done to centuries-old buildings in Europe with ads and digital displays.

I agree as well, they should have been placed on the side of the buildings. Those huge static APS ads are hidious as well and why doesn't APS save us all some money and dump all this useless advertising. There is no reason to advertise for something we all have to have and especially when we have no choice over another provider. You get APS or SRP depending on where you live. Waste.

Vicelord John
Jun 28, 2012, 5:28 AM
I still laugh at the content of those APS ads. Save energy and be green! Meanwhile they have all tha power running all night lol.

HX_Guy
Jul 1, 2012, 12:59 AM
A few pics around Cityscape, from Blue Hound (which had outstanding food BTW) and Lustre, which was nice but dead as hell, probably didn't help that it was so hot outside, though I'm thinking the W Scottsdale pool lounge probably had no problem being full. I don't know what's up with the huge "Vist Los Angeles" sign on the Alliance Bank building, seems kind of odd.

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/4.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/2.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/3.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/1.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/5.jpg

http://www.nitnelav.com/CSNight/6.jpg

Vicelord John
Jul 1, 2012, 1:21 AM
Wow. This city needs a little pride.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 1, 2012, 1:44 AM

Not only that but the lots between CityScape and Colliers and next to U.S. Airways Center really need to be developed! RED has allowed those building ads to get out of hand! I've seen billboards in L.A. and Denver for Phoenix/Scottsdale, but that CityScape ad is ridiculous.

PHX31
Jul 1, 2012, 3:36 AM

Totally true. And our developers need civic pride (and more money).

HX_Guy
Jul 1, 2012, 4:21 AM
And our developers need civic pride

I think that's the biggest problem we have here in Phoenix. Developers don't really seem to care about the building or the city, they just build to make money. I'm sure in all cities the developers want to make money but they also seem to want to build something they are proud of, something iconic in a lot of cases. It's a shame that a lot of these developers here care just about the money, what happened to the days of putting your name on the building and being proud of it? Luhr's anyone?

Vicelord John
Jul 1, 2012, 11:52 AM
We still have freeway signs downtown telling you how to get to Los Angeles. It's not just the developers.

PHXflyer
Jul 1, 2012, 4:17 PM
That ad will be popular with Suns fans the first time the Lakers come to town... Directly across from the arena. #cityscapefail

PHX31
Jul 1, 2012, 4:53 PM
We still have freeway signs downtown telling you how to get to Los Angeles. It's not just the developers.

That's a control city and a requirement by ADOT/the feds for freeway guide signs.

Leo the Dog
Jul 1, 2012, 5:10 PM
That's a control city and a requirement by ADOT/the feds for freeway guide signs.

True, but in LA there aren't signs for Phoenix.

I wouldnt worry about LA advertising...its a world class city within driving distance of phoenix. Btw, I see commercials in San Diego advertising AZ attractions often.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 1, 2012, 5:17 PM
True, but in LA there aren't signs for Phoenix.

I wouldnt worry about LA advertising...its a world class city within driving distance of phoenix. Btw, I see commercials in San Diego advertising AZ attractions often.

That is true about signs in LA; the difference is that the next major cities/metro areas after LA are still in California. Along I-10's western route, the next major city after Phoenix is LA. When you are driving in Flagstaff or Tucson the next cities you see are Arizona cities (Phoenix, Kingman, etc.).

HX_Guy
Jul 3, 2012, 11:36 PM
Got a message from Chris that there is a new section of crane onsite at Cityscape! Could we be seeing the start of the apartment tower soon?

nickw252
Jul 4, 2012, 12:25 AM
Got a message from Chris that there is a new section of crane onsite at Cityscape! Could we be seeing the start of the apartment tower soon?

whoa, awesome news.

Vicelord John
Jul 4, 2012, 12:28 AM
Could we be seeing the start of the apartment tower soon?

is this a rhetorical question?

gymratmanaz
Jul 4, 2012, 12:54 AM
YUP. I saw it with my own eyes. Next to the crane is the next extension segment. WHAT DO I WIN? I recall a prize for whoever can confirm the apartments. :)

plinko
Jul 4, 2012, 4:54 AM
^Maybe it's the first piece of another crane to dismantle the one that's already there! hehe

phxSUNSfan
Jul 4, 2012, 5:13 AM
^Maybe it's the first piece of another crane to dismantle the one that's already there! hehe

LMAO! Wouldn't that be some shit...I was just down there as well and I saw the extension. Wonder how long until we see the concrete being poured for more floor plates?

nickw252
Jul 4, 2012, 5:28 AM
LMAO! Wouldn't that be some shit...I was just down there as well and I saw the extension. Wonder how long until we see the concrete being poured for more floor plates?

C'mon, no pictures?

FWIW, I was curious as to how a crane would be raised, here is the answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE

HX_Guy
Jul 4, 2012, 6:40 AM
There is still no permit to build anything do not quite sure why they are planning to raise the crane, maybe they are anticipating the permit to be issued very soon. The review o the permit shows it was sent back to RED for corrections.

PHXflyer
Jul 4, 2012, 6:43 PM
The extension is there and they installed the hydraulic lift used to insert the extension onto the crane this past Sunday

PHX31
Jul 4, 2012, 7:04 PM
Huh, weird. Walked right by it twice last night and didn't notice.

nickw252
Jul 5, 2012, 3:16 AM
They're going to need more than just that section to add 14 more floors

http://i47.tinypic.com/35jxg8x.jpg

Hydraulic Lift:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34fcnwz.jpg

nickw252
Jul 31, 2012, 3:18 PM
From my office window it looks like the crane extension was put in. Anyone know for sure? Here is a zoomed in picture using my camera phone through a dirty window looking into the sun. The quality is awesome.

http://i48.tinypic.com/qpm1d0.jpg

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2012, 4:01 PM
From my office window it looks like the crane extension was put in. Anyone know for sure? Here is a zoomed in picture using my camera phone through a dirty window looking into the sun. The quality is awesome.

http://i48.tinypic.com/qpm1d0.jpg

Yes the extension was put in; at least I am assuming so because the extension is no longer sitting on the ground beside the tower crane...not at 8am this morning. I didn't see it going up, but the crane is higher now than before. Hope they get started on the apartments soon.

gymratmanaz
Jul 31, 2012, 4:29 PM
I will be heading DT later. I will check around.

HX_Guy
Jul 31, 2012, 5:48 PM
They only needed to lift up the crane by one section? That's a bit odd, but maybe that's all they need.

HX_Guy
Jul 31, 2012, 6:06 PM
BTW there is still not "build" permit issued for the apartments, it's still in review, which is freaking crazy seeing how it was applied for 5 months ago tomorrow.

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2012, 8:20 PM
They only needed to lift up the crane by one section? That's a bit odd, but maybe that's all they need.

No, they will add more sections. The piece they added is just part of the hydraulic lift section.

phoenixwillrise
Jul 31, 2012, 8:43 PM
All I have to say on this is. Would you really spend money on staying in a hotel where they are clanging and welding and moving I Beams up above you? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. Why put up with that kind of noise and risk when you don't have to?

phxSUNSfan
Jul 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
All I have to say on this is. Would you really spend money on staying in a hotel where they are clanging and welding and moving I Beams up above you? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. Why put up with that kind of noise and risk when you don't have to?

I was thinking the same thing but the building isn't steel construction. They are using concrete which means they aren't lifting many, if any, I beams over people below. Concrete construction cuts down on the clanking and welding associated with steel-frame construction. As for the noise, I am sure they will halt work in the evening allowing people to sleep; furthermore, I bet the hotel won't use the rooms on the highest level unless they are near full occupancy.

gymratmanaz
Aug 3, 2012, 11:47 PM
Jo A Bank looking good inside and with three nice signs outside.

The Lucky Strike club looks awesome. Gonna be a cool place to go to! I wonder what opening date they have set?

HooverDam
Aug 3, 2012, 11:48 PM
A thought (maybe we've discussed this before?):

Would it be a good idea for RED/the City to add street lights to the pedestrian bridge over Central? I was driving north on Central Ave today and the light at Washington changed and it seemed to throw off some of the drivers, because the ped bridge blocked the view of the upcoming lights.

I guess its not a huge issue, since traffic there is usually going slowly, but its a thought.

HX_Guy
Aug 4, 2012, 12:10 AM
Jo A Bank looking good inside and with three nice signs outside.

The Lucky Strike club looks awesome. Gonna be a cool place to go to! I wonder what opening date they have set?

I have to say I'm surprised yet went with the expansion. I am a big fan of Lucky Strike but having gone there just recently, the place has really died off. I pared to what it used to be and has really gone down in class. They used to have a dress code, which I thought was good, but now it seems anyone can stroll right in. There were people in what looked like gym shirts and just regular plain white shirts. Place was practically empty and few people that were there didn't make the plac that inviting to stay, it's really a shame.

nickw252
Aug 9, 2012, 3:32 AM
Jos. A Bank is looking close to being done. The displays are up and it's full of clothes.

HX_Guy
Aug 24, 2012, 5:53 AM
It looks like the permit for the Apartment Structure is still being worked on, so that's good. There's a few things that apparently must be fixed before they can issue the permit to build.

http://phoenix.gov/haht-bin/hsrun/payf/DSDOPPROD/StateId/EYIPRIDCsuwF7Qg5amz6TYMU3odVm-VX_D/HAHTpage/HS_PlanReviewersNotes?SEQ_NUM=2&ACT_CODE=STRUC&ACN_CODE=PR%202-C&ID=19953030

nickw252
Aug 27, 2012, 5:14 AM
It looks like the permit for the Apartment Structure is still being worked on, so that's good. There's a few things that apparently must be fixed before they can issue the permit to build.

http://phoenix.gov/haht-bin/hsrun/payf/DSDOPPROD/StateId/EYIPRIDCsuwF7Qg5amz6TYMU3odVm-VX_D/HAHTpage/HS_PlanReviewersNotes?SEQ_NUM=2&ACT_CODE=STRUC&ACN_CODE=PR%202-C&ID=19953030

Has anything changed on the proposed building permit?

Jjs5056
Aug 31, 2012, 5:24 AM
Wish I had some news on the apartments, but...

I stayed at the Palomar last weekend. The hotel itself is very nice, aside from the pool which lacked enough seating. As I walked into the room, I was super impressed by the views looking west- both Luhrs buildings, city hall, etc. But, then I approached the window and was hit by an endless mass of white concrete: the roof of the two-story CityScape retail building (with Lucky Strike, Copper Blues, etc.). Couldn't they have done something- ANYTHING? A green roof? A mural?

I know I'm being extremely picky, but it's just one more example of how cheap and tacky the design of this mini mall is. From above, it's even more obvious how suburban the design is; it looks like something you'd see in the corner of Dobson and Ray, not in the heart of our downtown.

Walking down Jefferson to the light rail was even more depressing. Across the street from the most beautiful (IMO) buildings we have in Phoenix are multiple garage entrances, a loading zone, and not a single store front. What a complete miss. There was plenty of foot traffic during the game, and even into the evening, that could feed into a nice retail/shipping street and instead, it's a complete wasteland aside from a freaking Subway.

Meanwhile, The Strand was packed during lunch and BlueHound was so crowded around 9 that we had to head down to the Arrogant Butcher. I was so impressed by the amount of people out and about on a Saturday. It's clear people are drawn to the options within CityScape... it's a shame that the design is such a disaster by isolating itself and will ultimately prevent anything organic from happening with the surrounding areas.

Vicelord John
Aug 31, 2012, 5:29 AM
You're totally right, new guy, RED fucked us.

nickw252
Sep 1, 2012, 2:24 AM
I know I'm being extremely picky

I don't think you're being picky. That inward facing plain and dull building with no street presence is garbage.

PhxER
Sep 13, 2012, 9:38 PM
The Gypsy Bar coming to Cityscape
2 stories about the new restaurant/night club/arcade coming to Cityscape

The Lucky Strike Lanes at Cityscape is about to get a new neighbor, and a fun one at that. The Gypsy Bar -- a nightlife establishment that will feature an arcade, dance floor, DJ booth, and VIP booths, as well space for dining and drinking -- will debut next door to the upscale bowling alley sometime in the next few weeks.
According to general manager Dallas Henderson, they're hoping to open the establishment by the end of the September and offer Cityscape patrons and downtown Phoenix urbanites a place to grab a drink, shake a tailfeather, or partake some video game thrills.

Henderson -- who formerly managed Blue Martini Lounge locations in North Phoenix, Las Vegas, and other cities across the country - says that the nightlife establishment is the brainchild of Lucky Strike Lanes owner Steven Foster. He adds that it was partially inspired and loosely connected to a similarly themed another Gypsy Bar located in Boston, which is co-owned by Foster.

And although it's connected to Lucky Strike's Cityscape location, Henderson says it will be considered to be a "separate entity" from the bowling joint.

"Its attached to Lucky Strike and will be operated with some of the same staff, but it's pretty much its own individual business," Henderson says. "It will be 21-and-up after certain hours and will have a different crowd and more strictly enforced dress code on the weekends. Just because you walk into Lucky Strike doesn't necessarily mean you can walk into Gypsy Bar."

And its also going to be more of an "adult playground," he says.

"There's going to be a lot going on inside here and there's not much missing," he says. "We're pretty sure we've got all our bases covered and the only thing you could really add would be a swimming pool...or a bounce house."

Oncee it opens its doors, the 15,000-square-foot establishment, which is attached to Lucky Strike on Cityscape's upper level, will include a large U-shaped white bar and separate dining area for those patrons eager for some eats or perhaps a cocktail (more info on Gypsy Bar's food and drink offering can be found over on our sister blog Chow Bella).

Meanwhile, DJs will be busy behind the mixers on the establishment's stage, which overlooks a dance floor and lounge area that's ringed with a number of long tuck and roll leatherette couches. A pair of VIP areas will be alongside the lounge and offer views overlooking the dance floor. If you're hoping for Old Town Scottsdale-style VIP treatment, however, you might have to look elsewhere.

"I don't know if we're going to do a tremendous amount of bottle service, we're not trying to appeal to the crowd that's in Scottsdale," he adds.

Henderson also says they're installing such "spectacular" dance club amenities as carbon dioxide and confetti canons, hazers, and numerous lighting elements.
The entertainment lineup won't be limited to just DJs, Henderson says, as he's planning on booking fashion and boutique shows, aerial acts, performance artists, and the sporadic live music nights.

"Occasionally we'll have some live music but no so much in the traditional sense," he says. "We're trying to feature entertainment that incorporates elements of music with some visual stimulus, whether that means a horn player accompanying a DJ, a quartet of electric violinists, go-go dancers...or whatever the evening may call for. It will constantly be changing, like a gypsy."

Henderson also says that the stage will also feature a few recessed "cubby hole" areas that will be lighted and scrimmed where individual musicians or artists can perform.

And while high-energy electronica or other tunes are blasting out of the lounge, high-tech electronic action will take place in the arcade located in the back of Gypsy Bar. More than a dozen high-end redemption games like Fruit Ninja or Deal or No Deal will be available for play, as well as skeeball machines, basketball abd football games, and regular arcade titles like Fast and Furious: Super Cars or the trigger-happy Terminator: Salvation first-person shooter. Heck, there's even a four-player version of Pac-Man.

Henderson says that Gypsy Bar is more akin to a nightclub that offers video games instead of just a clone of upscale arcade chain like Dave & Busters or Gameworks.

Most of the games will allow patrons to accrue points on a electronic card, which can be redeemed for high-end prizes that are a bit more posh than the stuff available at your neighborhood Peter Piper Pizza.

"We won't have any gold spider rings or cheesy prizes like that," Henderson says. "It ill be more like iPods, iTunes cards, or digital cameras."

Read more here (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2012/09/gypsy_bar_cityscape_arcade_phoenix.php)

Another eating and drinking spot is coming to CityScape and it's a wee bit different than the other new restaurants that have arrived recently at the chain-happy downtown Phoenix outdoor mall. How so? It's got an arcade inside, just in case you wanted a side of Pac-Man to go along with that order of pork ribs.

Gypsy Bar -- a combination nightspot, dance club, restaurant, drinkery, and game parlor -- is set to open at CityScape by September's end and is connected to the posh Lucky Strike Lanes.

While flashy arcade and redemption games offer thrills in the back of the establishment, a majority of the floor space at Gypsy Bar, which is also owned by Lucky Strike founder Steven Foster, will be devoted to food and drink.

A large white corian bar decked out with an ivory-colored leather trim dominates the place and will serve luxe libations, including an extensive and eclectic cocktail menu of 30 sophisticated and specialty cocktails.

Gypsy Bar's general manager Dallas Henderson says that they will also have twenty taps pouring microbrews and locally crafted beers, as well as the dozens of domestic beers available by the bottle. Four big screen 55-inch HDTVs will hang above the bar and screen NFL games and other sporting events, as well as boxing and UFC pay-per-views.

The dining area next to the bar will have space for anywhere from 75 to 100 patrons. Henderson says that both Lucky Strike and Gypsy Bar will share the same menu, which is getting revamped and will offer more cuisine options.

In addition to a selection of sliders and sammies, both establishments are adding sushi (including specialty rolls like the "Kingpin" and "Lucky Strike"), a variety of tacos featuring such fillings as marinated short rib meat, and new appetizers like fresh-made guacamole and fondue.

Henderson says that Gypsy Bar will also provide more of a "traditional dining experience" than its sister location next door.

"At Lucky Strike, it's a little weird because the dining area is set up more like a lounge," he says. "But at Gypsy Bar, its a bit more like a restaurant, if that makes sense."

Just be sure to wipe off those hands before heading to the back and grabbing ahold of a joystick.

Read more here (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2012/09/gypsy_bar_cityscape.php)

HX_Guy
Sep 14, 2012, 1:01 AM
Hmm, not sure what to think about that...not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for. Sounds like it's something different and unique though so hopefully it does well, I don't really see myself going there though.

Jjs5056
Sep 14, 2012, 3:22 AM
I'm all about destinations downtown that offer more than just dining/drinking, so I do hope it survives.

That said, I'm totally confused by what exactly the place is, and not a big fan of the "trying to be something for everyone" strategy. A dance/nightclub alone would have sufficed and been a nice addition; likewise, an arcade would have been fun. I'm just not seeing the connecton between the two activities, even for something as trivial as attire- what I'd wear to Dave and Buster's is totally different than what I would wear to a nightclub.

On a similar note, I do hope they stick with enforcing the dress code, as it's a shame that they've let it slip over at Lucky Strike. Downtowns should have a nice variety of optons for a range of people, but I would have liked to see it stay as a place on the nicer end of things, since there are very few "classy" nightlife venues downtown to begin with.

AZScraper
Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
I got word from our office admin that DHS installed cameras facing down on top of all 4 sides of the cityscape tower this weekend. Sure enough they are there. They will be installing them on all downtown high-rise buildings in PHX. Anyone else hear this about Big Brother and his cameras?

Well 3 so far...
http://i47.tinypic.com/2imfd.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/rka4pd.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/16ku9c.jpg

Tempe_Duck
Sep 25, 2012, 1:53 AM
That is wrong on so many levels. There is no credible reason the Homeland Security needs to place Government camera allover downtown Phoenix or any other city.

gymratmanaz
Sep 25, 2012, 4:35 AM
Planning on doing something naughty Duck?

Leo the Dog
Sep 25, 2012, 4:26 PM
That is wrong on so many levels. There is no credible reason the Homeland Security needs to place Government camera allover downtown Phoenix or any other city.

I agree. What exactly is in DT Phx that warrants this?

Jsmscaleros
Sep 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Consider this the golden era when cameras are still statically mounted on buildings. Before long they'll be zipping around town on quad-copters and other drones...

nickw252
Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 PM

Any word on the apartment structure permit? I check on the City of Phoenix Development Services site periodically but haven't seen anything new.

HX_Guy
Sep 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately nothing new, which sucks. Only thing of any importance on the permit side lately is a build permit for Potbelly so that should go going forward full speed now.

Also just saw this article on the "Gypsy Bar", and they also have a website in the works...

http://www.gypsybarphoenix.com/

As I said before, not a big fan of the concept...they are selling it as a high-end nightclub...but with 40 arcades? How do those two things go together? Don't like the name either..."high end nightclub" isn't exactly what comes to mind.

HIGH-END NIGHTCLUB, GYPSY BAR, TO OPEN IN CITYSCAPE

Posted on September 25, 2012 by Scottsdale Living

Where else can you bowl a strike, walk a few steps to an adjacent, high-end nightclub and cross your fingers in hopes of not striking out? CityScape — and Gypsy Bar, which will be connected to Lucky Strike Lanes, is adding its name to the already-hip roster of nightlife hotspots in the downtown Phoenix area.

“In light of the overwhelming support we’ve received from the public since opening Lucky Strike in downtown Phoenix,” says Steven Foster, owner and CEO of Gypsy Bar and Lucky Strike, “we’re thrilled to be rolling out yet another fun nightlife experience.”

At more than 10,000 sq. ft., able to hold approximately 380 people and open seven days a week, Gypsy Bar, according to Foster, will provide guests with “great DJs and a dance floor to an adult-oriented game lounge and a delicious menu.” And, with neighbors such as the US Airways Center, Chase Field and ASU’s downtown campus, he adds that “it’s exciting to be a part of the area’s continuing evolution as a nightlife destination.”

A full-service, upscale nightclub, Gypsy Bar will offer a full menu, which will include a variety of items from tacos and hamburgers to lobster and prime rib, as well as specialty cocktails, premium beers, VIP/bottle service and entertainment. To take it a few steps further, guests can also expect state-of-the-art video systems on either side of the DJ booth, as well as carbon dioxide, confetti cannons, snow and various lighting effects surrounding the dance floor.

As for the “fully-loaded” game lounge, it will feature 40 arcade games, including 2 Minute Drill, 2 Fast & Furious, Deal or No Deal, Guitar Hero, NBA Hoops, Pac-Man Battle Royal Deluxe, Super Bikes and Super Cars. Guests of Gypsy Bar can purchase an electronic rechargeable game card, which will accumulate reward points, and redeem prizes ranging from iPods to Pez dispensers.

Or, for those who plan to take it easy, dine and socialize at the three-sided island bar or on the contemporary lounge sofa sections.

Gypsy Bar’s Grand Opening party, Commotion, will take place on Saturday, October 6 at 10 p.m. The VIP pre-party begins at 7 p.m. DJ Roonie G, who blends both audio and visual content and considered one of the best video DJs, will be performing.

HooverDam
Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 AM
Hm, I don't really get the concept of Gypsy Bar either, but every establishment isn't for every person I suppose.

I got excited momentarily when I heard "arcade", but that thing sounds awful. Just a bunch of boring modern games that aren't very good, like what Dave & Busters is full of.

I'd kill for an Arcade like Ground Kontrol (http://groundkontrol.com/) in Portland somewhere in Central PHX. It could do great along Lower Grand, somewhere like the Paper Heart building. Or near Roosevelt Row, say the 333 E Portland building (the mid century modern building w/ the slanty roof and clearstory windows that was formerly a synagogue).

phxSUNSfan
Sep 26, 2012, 1:59 AM
From an earlier article regarding the Gypsy Bar:
"He adds that it was partially inspired and loosely connected to a similarly themed another Gypsy Bar located in Boston, which is co-owned by Foster."

If that is the case, you might get kind of a hint of what the CityScape club will look like by perusing the Boston club's website:
http://www.gypsybarboston.com/index.asp

If you click on "photos" or "venue" you can get a feel for the motif.

HX_Guy
Sep 26, 2012, 2:31 AM
That Boston website doesn't work fully for me (guess its not ipad friendly) but I do see an announcement for Bob Sinclair performing on Oct 18, that is something that I would def. check out so maybe I'm being too quick to judge.

Tempe_Duck
Sep 26, 2012, 4:49 AM
Planning on doing something naughty Duck?

Nope, just value my privacy from the government.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 26, 2012, 7:55 PM
Nope, just value my privacy from the government.

I love cameras in public places. I have nothing to hide and if we can deter crime or catch criminals I am 100% for it. I will give up privacy to save someones life or property anytime.

combusean
Sep 26, 2012, 8:54 PM
^ "Nothing to hide" is both a fallacy and a lie. I'm sure you wouldn't mind somebody posting a map of the exact movements you've made around downtown over the last year and sharing that with your friends, loved ones, coworkers, and boss right?

HooverDam
Sep 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
I don't know if privacy rights is really the right path for this thread to go down.

Can't we just talk about something we can all agree on, like how disappointing RED development is?

Jjs5056
Sep 27, 2012, 4:17 AM
Yes, RED sucks and if we don't get these apartments and get them soon, I think we can officially say this development was a complete failure.

Thoughtless, inward facing retail, a generic office tower and a mid-rise hotel were so totally not worth the public investment and hype.

I understand the economy played a huge rule in how far the plans were cut back, but the design is simply inexcusable. I think we all could have lived without the 3rd or 4th towers had we gotten quality, thought-out, desert-inspired and iconic design and architecture. Bringing a Kimoton property downtown was great; throwing it into a gray box that looks more like a jail than a reasonably glitzy hotel was not.

Bringing a comedy club, shopping, bars and restaurants to the core was great; turning them away from the surrounding assets (like the Luhrs building and so on) making most of the spaces impossible to find from the street, and disengaging street level activity throug garage entrances and loading docks was more than terrible- it was shameful for our 0,0 point.

Don B.
Sep 27, 2012, 4:19 AM
Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither. :)

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Cops can be prejudiced and do make mistakes. Many are good but there's a reason why our founding fathers tried to not create a police state and limited the powers of the government accordingly. The difference between a mistake I might make as a private citizen is I many not screw up someone's life as a result; I don't have the authority of the state as the 800-pound gorilla in the room; and I don't have a gun under color of law.

--don

Jjs5056
Sep 27, 2012, 4:20 AM

Don B.
Sep 27, 2012, 4:28 AM
^ Cityscape is installing cameras looking out onto the streets. I'd suggest that a few posts on the issue are okay, especially since this is the first time I've weighed in on this thread in months, and I've posted exactly one time on this topic (now twice). It's not like we've had pages and pages of comments about the cameras.

Moving on...as for Cityscape, it's sterile and inward. I don't like it and I don't go there. Am I happy we don't have dirt lots there? Yes. In a lowest common denominator city like Phoenix that often lacks vision, we are lucky to have Cityscape at all.

--don

AZScraper
Sep 27, 2012, 7:42 PM
I agree. What exactly is in DT Phx that warrants this?

The e-mail also said this is happening in big cities across the U.S. so we are not the only ones...

exit2lef
Sep 28, 2012, 4:34 AM
The e-mail also said this is happening in big cities across the U.S. so we are not the only ones...

Yes. Here's an article from the Houston paper about this program:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Hundreds-of-cameras-going-up-downtown-1711718.php

floc34
Sep 28, 2012, 7:23 AM
Is Silk Sushi still opening up at Cityscape? I run past there everynight, and it looks as if they've stopped working on it.

Leo the Dog
Sep 28, 2012, 3:32 PM

If its happening all over the country then i understand.

I have read and seen as recently as yesterday on cnbc that the US govt is anticipating civil disobedience in the near future to break out across cities as it will become apparent that the economy is going to fizzle out and more cuts to public service will follow. Ie: students, teachers, public unions taking to the streets to demand what's no longer possible, resulting in strikes/protests, etc.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 28, 2012, 4:41 PM
^ "Nothing to hide" is both a fallacy and a lie. I'm sure you wouldn't mind somebody posting a map of the exact movements you've made around downtown over the last year and sharing that with your friends, loved ones, coworkers, and boss right?

I stand by my original statement. The only thing they might deduce from watching me walk around downtown is that I am a construction nut who loves to see the city grow. How can you make your fallacy and lie statement when you don't know me from Adam? You assume all people are like you or just what do you base that on? Now that we cleared that up let's do like Hoover says and get back on track talking construction.

HX_Guy
Oct 3, 2012, 8:58 PM
Was looking through the permits today and stumbled across this...talk about adding some variety to the mix... :P

Permit# LPRT-1203004 Issue Date 10/1/12 Expires 10/1/13
Permit Description DRY CLEANER
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE
Address 2 E JEFFERSON ST PHOENIX AZ 85004 Zoning

gymratmanaz
Oct 4, 2012, 3:12 AM
good addition for apartments and all the offices

phxSUNSfan
Oct 6, 2012, 2:58 PM
CityScape is now 100% full after the opening of Gypsy Bar...what a missed opportunity from an architectural standpoint. The hidden interior space is ok, but the street-side walled-in aspect, especially along Jefferson, is horrible.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20121004gypsy-bar-cityscape-occupied.html#protected

PHXflyer
Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 PM
100% full? As of earlier today, Rasputin is still an empty shell. Not sure if it's the media skewing the numbers or RED.

Vicelord John
Oct 9, 2012, 1:24 AM
Rasputin and silk.

Phxguy
Oct 9, 2012, 1:49 AM
So I feel dumb for asking, but in what available space would the dry cleaners be incorporated?

PHXflyer
Oct 9, 2012, 4:20 AM
There's a very small space next to the Breakfast Club that would work. I had once heard it was going to be a barber shop, prior to that Press Coffee, prior to that Cherry Top Yogurt, prior to that.... Press, Blu Burger, Cherry on Top, amongst others went away quietly

pbenjamin
Oct 9, 2012, 6:15 AM
There is an empty spot next to Fuego that claims to become a Potbelly sandwich shop. I guess they must be counting that as occupied.

floc34
Oct 9, 2012, 6:55 AM
Was a new store suppose to open in the old Designer District space, and I thought Silk Sushi was suppose to be open by now? It looks as if construction has halted inside.

Phxguy
Oct 9, 2012, 3:16 PM
Ra Yoga is supposed to go into the old DD space in the upcoming months but haven't heard anything about it.

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2012, 1:54 AM
I just talked to two ladies who were working inside the old skating rental place, formerly DD. It is becoming a shoe store.

HooverDam
Nov 2, 2012, 2:24 AM
I just talked to two ladies who were working inside the old skating rental place, formerly DD. It is becoming a shoe store.

Did they say what kind? Good news I suppose, we can always use more retail downtown.

Maybe w/ Jos A Bank, Urban Outfitters, Charming Charlie's, etc. CityScape is getting close to a sustainable mix of retail. It still feels like we need an anchor in the next/future phase, i.e a City Target or even something like a Marshalls, Ross or Kohls.

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
They did not, but I am guessing it is a women's shoe store. There was nice furniture going in, so guessing something upscale.

HX_Guy
Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
Things look like they're moving forward! Still just a "Phased Review", not an actual permit to build, but it's the next step in the process. Previous "Phased Review" permit was for a 14 story apartment addition, looks like it's been revised to 12 stories.

Permit# PHAS-0705627-17 Issue Date 11/9/12 Expires 11/9/13
Permit Description CORE AND SHELL
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE
Address 2 E JEFFERSON ST PHOENIX AZ 85004 Zoning
L 1 B * REPLAT OF REPLAT OF BLOCK 22 QS Q10-28 APN 112-27-126 Dist 08
Description/Scope of Work: COMMERCIAL NEW

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: 12-STORY APARTMENT BUILDING ON TOP OF EXISTING PALOMAR HOTEL.

Jjs5056
Nov 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
I spent last Sunday downtown and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much more alive it is these days (of course, it would've been impossible to get any worse, as it was a complete dead zone in the past on weekends). We started with lunch at Bliss, which actually seemed to get more crowded as the day went on... This area can only see more traffic as Roosevelt Point wraps up and opens.

We then walked on over to CityScape for some frozen yogurt and while I have been critical in the last over the design, there were quite a few highlights as we walked around:

1. With Jos A Bank opening, that whole intersection looks VERY urban with Urban Outfitters, Jos A Bank and Charming Charlie's all opening up to the street.
2. There was quite a bit of foot traffic, with people heading to Copper Blue's; on the down side, it didn't look like Lucky Strike or Gypsy Bar were too crowded- and Gypsy Bar's signage is downright disgusting. From the articles I had read, it seemed like they were going for an upscale approach, but the signage read dive bar to me.
3. I ran into *several* groups of people who were trying to go to Arrogant Butcher; all were very disappointed when I told them it was closed on Sundays. On the other hand, the fact that so many people get lost is a testament to the poor design.
4. As we walked through the plaza, I realized it isn't as bad as I thought- the architecture is still cheap and gross, but at least the plaza is open enough that you are able to see the retail inside, unlike Arizona Center and Colliers. I'm not sure why they said they are 100% full, though, as I noticed at least one open space next to Urban.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience as I have been quite down on this place previously. But, I remember walking through this area on a Saturday afternoon back in 2008 after the election and it was a ghost town. The fact that there was life in the streets on a Sunday shows that it has had a positive impact on our city, in spite of the cheap architecture and poor design.

The one thing I'll always be disappointed in is the failure to provide any kind of retail on Jefferson. You head that way and it's like downtown ends, which is a real shame because CityScape could have been the connection between the business district and the entertainment section (Us Airways and Chase Field), as well as the historic buildings with Luhrs and the warehouses to the south. Maybe the apartments can help with this? Could more residents spur some tenants in Luhrs?

exit2lef
Nov 11, 2012, 1:59 PM
3. I ran into *several* groups of people who were trying to go to Arrogant Butcher; all were very disappointed when I told them it was closed on Sundays. On the other hand, the fact that so many people get lost is a testament to the poor design.

That's funny because last time I ate at Arrogant Butcher, I sat at the bar and could overhear the chatter at the host station. Several times, people wandered into Arrogant Butcher thinking it was the Tilted Kilt. Most of the confused customers sounded like people who go Downtown only occasionally, yet CityScape's design makes it harder than it should be for them to find places they've heard about.

Vicelord John
Nov 17, 2012, 8:37 PM
so Central is closed and the ice rink is going in the middle of the street???????

gymratmanaz
Nov 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
traffic wise that sucks, but it is a much better idea for everything else. Will look cool. Probably bigger too!

HooverDam
Nov 18, 2012, 12:14 AM
so Central is closed and the ice rink is going in the middle of the street???????

I dont know but it wouldnt surprise me. A big part of REDs strategy on selling the City on losing the public space of Patriots Sq Park was that Central Ave between Washington and Jefferson for bigger events and make it a public space.

Vicelord John
Nov 18, 2012, 1:12 AM
well i confirmed it. it's posted on cityscape's facebook and on the city's traffic closure website. Central closed between jeff/wash until january 11.

PHXflyer
Nov 18, 2012, 3:25 AM
While I have no doubt that will look nice and create a great courtyard atmosphere, how can the city continue to bow down to RED? Closing a main thoroughfare and the primary entrance to downtown from the south? That whole block of Central is already jacked. Have you ever checked out the sight lines down Central and noticed how the lanes meander through that area? Somehow RED was able to build the east block far closer to the street than any other buildings on central, except the Renaissance.

NorthScottsdale
Nov 26, 2012, 2:43 PM
While I have no doubt that will look nice and create a great courtyard atmosphere, how can the city continue to bow down to RED? Closing a main thoroughfare and the primary entrance to downtown from the south? That whole block of Central is already jacked. Have you ever checked out the sight lines down Central and noticed how the lanes meander through that area? Somehow RED was able to build the east block far closer to the street than any other buildings on central, except the Renaissance.

I think people will cope just fine. It's just one block!

gymratmanaz
Nov 26, 2012, 3:34 PM
I went down for the tree lighting. it was awesome. They had a quartet from Phoenix Symp[hony playing, tons of people, and it looked great!!!

Vicelord John
Nov 26, 2012, 5:52 PM
I had been on the bicycle for 12+ hours yesterday. It was 9pm, riding up central from south mountain, and that stupid damn ice rink got in the way. After 212 miles of cycling, you'd think I'd be mentall tougher than to let something like that bother me.

It bothered me a lot, and I can't believe the city gave up central.

PHXflyer
Nov 26, 2012, 5:57 PM
I think people will cope just fine. It's just one block!

While you're correct that it is just one block and yes people will cope, you're missing the overall point. I park at Renaissance garage, as do many. When leaving there to go north you have to turn south on 1st Ave, wait at the light at Washington. Then continue to Jefferson to wait at a light where hardly anyone realizes you can take a left on red between two one way streets. Next you travel east, but now Central is closed so you stop at that light. Now continue to 1st street and take another left going north to Washington. That's two more lights. Take a left on Washington while making sure to get on the correct side of the light rail tracks to make a right onto Central and finally be on your way. No joke, it can take 10 min to go this "1 block", and that's for a downtown resident. Good luck to someone not familiar with the streets. Anyway, now I've strayed from the real point as well. At least it turned out nice and has a good vibe.

plinko
Nov 26, 2012, 6:26 PM
^Whine much? Your car makes right turns as well. And going down to 3rd Avenue is not exactly a detour to Avondale.

That's the kind of mentality that will never allow Phoenix to become a city about people instead of one about cars.

ljbuild
Nov 26, 2012, 6:47 PM
New term for cityscape, " CHEAPY-SCAPE"

This is no comparison the the NEW TALLEST of Oklahoma, called the

DEVON ENERGY TOWER which stands at 850 ft and/or 52 STORIES tall.

That building would be more fitting in Phoenix that little bitty Oklahoma city

which is actually where the tower is.

This place had just opened up in October 2012, to give the state of

Oklahoma and Oklahoma city its NEW TALLEST.

WHEN WILL PHOENIX OR ARIZONA GET ITS NEW TALLEST ?:koko

HX_Guy
Nov 26, 2012, 7:15 PM
^Whine much? Your car makes right turns as well. And going down to 3rd Avenue is not exactly a detour to Avondale.

That's the kind of mentality that will never allow Phoenix to become a city about people instead of one about cars.

Seriously. And as you said, why not take 1st Ave to Washington, then make a right and then another right on 3rd Ave and take that north?

Or if you insist on taking Central north, you don't have to turn on Washington off of 1st St and deal with the light rail tracks, you could take 1st St to Adams and then to Central.

PHXflyer
Nov 26, 2012, 7:51 PM

Seriously. And as you said, why not take 1st Ave to Washington, then make a right and then another right on 3rd Ave and take that north?

Or if you insist on taking Central north, you don't have to turn on Washington off of 1st St and deal with the light rail tracks, you could take 1st St to Adams and then to Central.

Holy hell.... I'm a bit of a novice to forums and make it a practice to rarely post because of immaturity like this. I'm not whining, just stating my stance on why I think the city closing a major artery through downtown to benefit a private businesses initial lack of planning or vision is not a good idea.

Aren't you the same people who are against the 7's and 5th and 3rd avenue being used for major arteries into the city? I could swear I've seen that argument on here in the past, but now you call me a whiner and recommend using 3rd Ave as a way in and out of downtown? That's a great idea. Let's push more traffic through the historic neighborhoods that have already been raped by the city so that CityScape can have an ice skating rink. With that mindset you should be in city hall in no time! By the way, 3rd Ave is two blocks west resulting in 3 blocks back east to get to Central.

As for PHX being a city based on cars, unfortunately you're right. I agree wholeheartedly, but at under 3000 miles a year on my car, I'm not the problem. Believe it or not, there are some things a person cannot find downtown which requires driving. I choose to do a majority of my business as close to central Phoenix as possible and it's for this reason that Central is nice to use.

Overall, my point again is that you are missing the point. It's not about the traffic detour, I was merely providing an example. It's about the city lying down for a poorly designed project. Try to stay focused on the larger point at hand.

Sorry to fly off the handle, but I've never attacked anyone's ideas or views on here and would assume we can all be adults and listen to everyone's ideas and thoughts without calling others "whiners". Perhaps things like this bother me more because along with a select other couple on this forum, I actually live in downtown and all my daily activities take place here. I'm not a weekend warrior who drives down to imagine life here once or twice a month. With that in mind, tell me that you wouldn't complain a tad to a friend or neighbor if the city shut down the main road into your neighborhood for a month and a half, and again that's not the bigger point at hand.

Now back to the subject: the ice skating rink is great. Much better than the first year. I like the idea of street festivals and such, but 1st street would be the ideal spot for this. Unfortunately as we all know, CityScape didn't follow through with that last phase of the project so that wouldn't work.