PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix CityScape Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

PhxPavilion
Oct 18, 2010, 1:54 AM
Yeah, college hipsters love paying $200 for a pair of jeans.

Also, I and most people I know like Five Guys, you're weird John.

gymratmanaz
Oct 18, 2010, 1:58 AM
I forgot to say....when I was at Cityscape today, I saw a large crane section sitting on the south side of the hotel section. It wasn't there the other day. Are they thinking of inserting and raising the crane, or is it there to leave the site???

Vicelord John
Oct 18, 2010, 3:28 AM
Yeah, college hipsters love paying $200 for a pair of jeans.

Also, I and most people I know like Five Guys, you're weird John.

Or maybe you and your friends don't have enough culinary experience...

bwonger06
Oct 18, 2010, 3:35 AM

Exactly. If I want a greasy, unhealthy burger, I will eat at Lenny's otherwise I stick to Delux, Fez or Zinburger.

HX_Guy
Oct 18, 2010, 3:59 AM
West of SoHo was actually pretty inexpensive, my wife bought a dress for around $35 and a skirt for like $17. It's all chick clothing though, even though there is a guy manakin in the window. Weird.

Vicelord John
Oct 18, 2010, 4:06 AM
Exactly. If I want a greasy, unhealthy burger, I will eat at Lenny's otherwise I stick to Delux, Fez or Zinburger.

Or the grind, relish, bourbon, or a dozen gourmet restaurants who do fantastic hamburgers.

Five Guys is exceptional for the average joe who doesn't know shit for beans, though

westbev93
Oct 18, 2010, 2:48 PM
I also took my wife shopping at cityscape over the weekend. The West of Soho place was pretty inexpensive. But Designer District seems destined to fail. The downtown demographic doesn't seem to me to be the $200 jeans crowd (not yet).

Hell, I'm a lawyer, and I balked at the prices there. $100 for a long-sleeved cotton men's t-shirt. They were also selling a UofA t-shirt for $36. I saw the same one at the UofA bookstore (which is usually overpriced) for $25.

As for the common area, there were kids playing in the water feature all day.

HX_Guy
Oct 19, 2010, 2:56 AM
I emailed someone at the Department of Commerce as well as at RED to ask about the outcome from the lottery today...still waiting on a reply.

I did also run across this article from back in July that talked about the bond funds and how cities had to return the money it had unused for Cityscape to even possibly get the funds, and that part seems to have happened, hence the lottery today. Hopefully they won.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/07/28/20100728phoenix-cityscape-hotel-palomar.html

HX_Guy
Oct 19, 2010, 4:11 AM
Well here's some great news...

I've heard back that RED made a run at those Federal bond funds but have actually found another source and better yet, a permit for the hotel levels was logged in today with DSD!

Permit# PHAS-0705627-10 Issue Date Expires 10/18/11
Permit Description CITYSCAPE PHASE 10
Project 06-5309 CITYSCAPE

Description/Scope of Work: COMMERCIAL NEW

TYPE OF BUSINESS: LOG#: PHAS 0705627-10 PROJECT#:06-5309

SCOPE OF WORK: BLDG STRUC ELEV

DESCRIPTION OF WORK:STRUCURAL PACKAGE ONLY FOR THE SOUTH TOWER HOTEL LEVELS 4 THRU 10

Can we get some speculation on the height of this thing at 10 stories? Plinko? :D
From a previous plan layout, it showed the podium (first 3 levels) to be at 58'...show how much more height will 7 floors of hotel add to that?

Edit: I'm answering myself here before anyone else even has a chance to take a stab at it, but that same plan shows an "8 story" hotel portion that is 127' in height (ground to roof). So...if the first 3 levels are 58', that leaves 69' for the remaining 5 hotel floors, or 13.8' per floor. But now the hotel is 10 total floors, so that makes it 154.6' total height.

bwonger06
Oct 19, 2010, 4:23 AM
Excellent news.

My question is who owns the hotel now, the city/state or RED? If RED owns it and the money does not come in the form of a loan, RED is making out like wild bandits.

Edit- should have read the article. So the loan is essentially taken on by RED and they will be re-paying it. Still great news and hope they start building right away.

gymratmanaz
Oct 19, 2010, 5:23 AM
Maybe that IS why that crane section has been sitting out for a few days...

HX_Guy
Oct 19, 2010, 7:39 AM
Results of the lottery from earlier today...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/10/19/20101019arizona-businesses-stimulus-funds-lottery.html

The article states that RED withdrew from the lottery because they found an alternate source that was a better fit. Sounds like great news, the hotel appears to be officially funded.

dtnphx
Oct 19, 2010, 5:46 PM
Results of the lottery from earlier today...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/10/19/20101019arizona-businesses-stimulus-funds-lottery.html

The article states that RED withdrew from the lottery because they found an alternate source that was a better fit. Sounds like great news, the hotel appears to be officially funded.

Happy, happy, joy, joy :banana:

plinko
Oct 19, 2010, 5:50 PM
I'll believe it when they pull permits...

HX_Guy
Oct 19, 2010, 6:39 PM
I'll believe it when they pull permits...

Hey, it's a start. They have to review the permits before they can pull them. Of courses it's never a guarantee...look at the W Hotel, Hotel Monroe and even at Cityscape itself which had reviews and pulled permits for a sales center, hell they even started to build it, foundation is still there, and it never ended up happening. I'm optimistic about the hotel though...it sounds like they have financing in place which I think was the only hurdle and the city really wants this hotel to happen.

plinko
Oct 19, 2010, 7:14 PM
But there are other factors. Lease re-negotiations with Palomar, re-negotiations with the city on funds, re-negotiations with AE teams to restart the project, zoning and building code updates, etc. ALL can be factors which can slow down or even stop a project for months at a time.

I can't even tell you how many projects I have right now that are fully funded but not underway due to those other types of factors.

Funding is a huge part of it, but also just one of many many factors in the overall process.

Until they pull the building permits for the hotel (which necessitates having a build contract in place with the General Contractor), I'm going to continue to be skeptical.

plinko
Oct 19, 2010, 7:17 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the current incarnation of the project when I was in Phoenix about 10 days ago. I saw the tower from the freeway several times from each direction (both day and night), but that's it. So I can't weigh in with my opinion. Maybe in December or January.

I will say that it doesn't have near the impact on the skyline that 1CPE has.

PhxPavilion
Oct 20, 2010, 3:26 AM

Culinary experience? Oh, you must mean overpriced and trendy. Five Guys does not serve a lean gourmet burger but it's magnitudes better than your average fast food burger and better than many restaurants. You can enjoy your Fez burger, I've had it and considered it bland. Wait, aren't you on an only raw vegetable diet? Have you even been to Five Guys?

Vicelord John
Oct 20, 2010, 3:40 AM
Culinary experience? Oh, you must mean overpriced and trendy. Five Guys does not serve a lean gourmet burger but it's magnitudes better than your average fast food burger and better than many restaurants. You can enjoy your Fez burger, I've had it and considered it bland. Wait, aren't you on an only raw vegetable diet? Have you even been to Five Guys?

It has nothing to do with trendy and everythig to do with quality. I will gladly pay double or more for top quality. I've ben to five guys, twice, and both times i thought it was a fast food hamburger with extra toppings. I feel for fast food it is above average, but I'm not into fast food and if I'm going to eat something that is inherently unhealthy, I'll find the healthiest version of it I can find.

Plus I eat for a living, so I've developed some asinine standards.

HX_Guy
Oct 20, 2010, 9:29 PM
New Cityscape site plan as of Sept 25, 2010. I'm surprised at some of the locations, I didn't expect The Tilted Kilt to be where it's shown, Silk Sushi or Rasputin. I do like that they are all over the place, not all on Patriot's Square but I figured at least one of them would go above Charming Charlies (and below Golds), unless Charming Charlies is 2 stories, which it may be.

Seeing it all though makes me wish more than ever that some of the retail, especially between the hotel and office tower, wasn't on the 2nd floor. For me, it just doesn't feel urban when you have to go up stairs/escalators and you don't have direct sidewalk access to the front of the store/restaurant.

http://nitnelav.com/CityscapeOct20.jpg

Vicelord John
Oct 20, 2010, 10:21 PM
Charming Charlie should be two stories. I was upstairs looking in and there is a big hole in the floor that opens onto the first floor. It's usually a pretty big store and it's completely full of crap all arranged by color. It looks like the cheshire cat yaked in there.

HX_Guy
Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
Couple more permit reviews from today...

LPRT-1002751 2 E JEFFERSON ST 10/20/10 OPEN TILTED KILT RESTAURANT
Description says it's a build out of a 9202 sq ft restaurant.

LPRT-1002752 50 W JEFFERSON ST 10/20/10 OPEN STAND UP COMEDY
Description says full build out of comedy club and restaurant.

PhxPavilion
Oct 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
I noticed Blu Burger is missing from that site plan but it's still in the tenant list.

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/post/sections/retail_landing/files/11%20x17%20version%209-10.pdf

HX_Guy
Oct 21, 2010, 12:24 AM
Good catch. Also Cherry On Top is missing as well.

Vicelord John
Oct 21, 2010, 1:21 AM
blue burger red burger green burger blah

gymratmanaz
Oct 21, 2010, 5:31 AM
the thing in the middle of the mesa now has some full and half walls. What the heck is it going to be?????

Vicelord John
Oct 21, 2010, 5:36 AM
the thing in the middle of the mesa now has some full and half walls. What the heck is it going to be?????

My guess is either info desk with people in it or with flat panel tvs on it.

gymratmanaz
Oct 21, 2010, 5:48 AM
Maybe a Sunglass Hut or Falafle Stand. LOL

Will be interesting to see......

HX_Guy
Oct 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
OneRepublic added to CityScape bash
The Arizona Republic

Grammy-nominated alternative-rock group OneRepublic has been added to the musical lineup for the grand opening celebration for CityScape in downtown Phoenix.
The group will headline a free concert on Saturday, Nov. 6, one night after R&B and neo-soul singer Macy Gray is scheduled to give a free show.
Macy Gray concert details

OneRepublic's 2006 single "Apologize" became a global hit when the group teamed with Timbaland on a remix.
Both acts will appear at 9:30 on their respective nights on a stage on Central Avenue, which will be closed to vehicle traffic between Jefferson and Washington streets.
CityScape is a mixed-use development featuring stores, restaurants, a bowling alley, a hotel, offices and the redesigned Patriots Square park. It is bordered by First St., First Ave. and Jefferson and Washington streets.
The grand opening will run Thursday, Nov. 4, through Sunday, Nov. 7, with music from local bands starting at 11 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and running from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
The celebration also will include fashion shows, sports- and food-related events and comedy acts onstage.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/10/21/20101021onerepublic-cityscape-phoenix.html#ixzz132eteXDN

Phxguy
Oct 22, 2010, 3:40 AM
OneRepublic added to CityScape bash
The Arizona Republic

Grammy-nominated alternative-rock group OneRepublic has been added to the musical lineup for the grand opening celebration for CityScape in downtown Phoenix.
The group will headline a free concert on Saturday, Nov. 6, one night after R&B and neo-soul singer Macy Gray is scheduled to give a free show.
Macy Gray concert details

OneRepublic's 2006 single "Apologize" became a global hit when the group teamed with Timbaland on a remix.
Both acts will appear at 9:30 on their respective nights on a stage on Central Avenue, which will be closed to vehicle traffic between Jefferson and Washington streets.
CityScape is a mixed-use development featuring stores, restaurants, a bowling alley, a hotel, offices and the redesigned Patriots Square park. It is bordered by First St., First Ave. and Jefferson and Washington streets.
The grand opening will run Thursday, Nov. 4, through Sunday, Nov. 7, with music from local bands starting at 11 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and running from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
The celebration also will include fashion shows, sports- and food-related events and comedy acts onstage.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/10/21/20101021onerepublic-cityscape-phoenix.html#ixzz132eteXDN

Sounds interesting, I might be able to make it.

HX_Guy
Oct 22, 2010, 5:36 PM

Maybe this is it?

S-T529299 1 E WASHINGTON ST 10/22/10 OPEN PBI - KIOSK BREAKFAST CLUB

gymratmanaz
Oct 22, 2010, 7:16 PM
This must be it. It does look like the half walls are for selling. It could make for a fun little breakfast borrito and such place, to catch the morning business people and the early morning gym crowd. Not a bad idea, especially if they eventually add some covered eating benches or something maybe.(John could use it for his hangover morning place. :) )

Vicelord John
Oct 22, 2010, 7:43 PM
This must be it. It does look like the half walls are for selling. It could make for a fun little breakfast borrito and such place, to catch the morning business people and the early morning gym crowd. Not a bad idea, especially if they eventually add some covered eating benches or something maybe.(John could use it for his hangover morning place. :) )

I'm not gonna go walking around hungover...

gymratmanaz
Oct 22, 2010, 8:03 PM
Ok, don't walk around, stumble. LOL

After rehearsal last night at about 10:30PM, there were a lot of people around Cityscape and the clubs. Nice to see the night time foot traffic.

HX_Guy
Oct 22, 2010, 8:24 PM
From a City of Phoenix document dated October 19, 2010...

CITYSCAPE PROJECT
UPDATE

Staff: Krietor, Maxwell
(Presentation 10 min.)

This report provides a general update to the City Council on the first phase of the
CityScape mixed-use development project in downtown Phoenix.

This item is for information only. No City Council action is required.

Backup included in Council packet/City Clerk's Office.

Action Taken:
Mr. Krietor introduced Jeff Moloznik, Deputy Director for RED Development, to provide
an update on CityScape in downtown Phoenix. Mr. Moloznik described the CityScape
development, which included 1,750,000 square feet of construction and renovation at a
cost of over $350 million. The retail and entertainment portions of the development will
include 250 ongoing annual retail and entertainment jobs in downtown Phoenix. Over
85% of the office space was leased, and 96% of the retail space was leased. Mr.
Moloznik described the retail tenants and their planned opening dates, all of which are
scheduled to open before the end of the year. Current work also included the
construction of a 225,000 square foot Kimpton Palomar Hotel, scheduled to be
completed in December 2011. Mr. Moloznik also detailed some of the upcoming
events, including Grand Opening weekend from November 4th to 7th, the City of
Phoenix Holiday Tree Lighting on November 26, New Years Downtown Style, and the
Rock N’ Roll Marathon.

Mayor Gordon announced that the annual Mayor’s State of Downtown would be on
Thursday, November 4, 2010 and will include a “Taste of Downtown” reception. He
noted both events were free and open to the public.

Councilman Johnson thanked RED Development for their commitment to the project
despite challenging economic conditions, which may have prevented them from
continuing forward with the ambitious plans.

The holiday tree lighting and new years plans are a nice surprise, maybe through enough events they can actually make this "the" city gathering spot for big yearly events.

gymratmanaz
Oct 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
This is exciting news. It does seem they are working hard to make this a destination for events. Bring people for events and they see the retail and restaurants and clubs......great energy brewing!!!!!!

HooverDam
Oct 22, 2010, 11:28 PM
The holiday tree lighting and new years plans are a nice surprise, maybe through enough events they can actually make this "the" city gathering spot for big yearly events.

Christ I hope not. Having City events in a poorly planned, ugly, suburban style outdoor mall would be embarrassing and depressing. The City already has a nice City Xmas Tree just West of the Historic City Hall building and that plaza around there is a trillion times nicer than CityScape any day.

A park/square would be a much more appropriate place for stuff like this. Ideally in the now eternally empty surface lot that CityScape failed to deliver on. I know I keep harping on it, but it would be a near perfect space for a new City Square now that we've lost the 0'0 point.

bwonger06
Oct 22, 2010, 11:30 PM
That was quick...

11/6: OneRepublic replaced by Third Eye Blind at CityScape

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/10/21/20101021onerepublic-cityscape-phoenix.html#ixzz138Kd2Bmy

Organizers of the grand opening celebration for CityScape in downtown Phoenix acknowledged sending out an erroneous press release about entertainment at the event.
Third Eye Blind, and not OneRepublic, as initially announced, will perform on Saturday, November 6.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/10/21/20101021onerepublic-cityscape-phoenix.html#ixzz138KXyGw6

Seems like they are trying to make this like a Rockfellar Plaza. It just seems too closed off like a fortress from ever materializing into a public gathering point.

HX_Guy
Oct 23, 2010, 12:38 AM
Yea that was pretty lame. I was actually surprised that they were able to get a band that's actually not a has been, but looks like it was too good to be true. Oh well, Third Eye Blind was pretty popular too, I think, donut should still bring out quite a few people.

Vicelord John
Oct 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
SWEET!

Macy Gray and One Republic both blow goat nuts, so at least one of them got replaced. I don't understand how tone deaf you have to be to listen to that shit.

gymratmanaz
Oct 23, 2010, 5:07 AM
It will be packed none-the-less.

PHX31
Oct 23, 2010, 5:25 PM
I went to lucky strike for the first time last night. It looked great inside and was a lot of fun. The DJ played some good music for a while, and when later in the night he started in with nothing but "new school" shite, he was very receptive to my request and played my song within 2 songs. It was nicely busy (not too packed, but not dead looking) inside and I saw a couple people in there that I knew that live out in the suburbs. So CityScape (or atleast lucky strike) is doing its job pulling in people in to downtown.

However, Cityscape as a whole really and completely sucks. It's worse than a suburban looking "mall" (in fit and finishes). I really can't believe how hard it is to get into places and how "walled off" it is, as was mentioned above. The city of phoenix can't seem to do anything right. They can't even do something as simple as providing bike racks. We all rode our bikes down there last night and had to lock up to the pedestrian handrails. There were a ton of bikes locked up wherever people could find something to lock up to. It seems to me that a simple bick rack area would be a no brainer to provide.

The city planners and plans reviewers and DR boards/city council/etc. must really really suck or have little to no backbone. They need to be much more detailed oriented and push for more quality projects, ESPECIALLY downtown. Working with and in the City of Scottsdale so much, no matter how suburban some of their developments can be, it makes me realize they really hold their developers and projects to a nice high standard.

HX_Guy
Oct 23, 2010, 5:33 PM
We were at Cityscape last night too, first at Oktoberfest and then at Lucky Strike from about 9:30 to 12:00. Like you said, the place was just busy enough to not be annoying though the lounge area was a lot more packed than the bowling area. I love that you can grab a seat on one of the many couches even if not bowling (not the couches in line with the lanes, the ones at the end). Great seeing some local celeba there too, Channing Frye in this case.

I went with my wife, who had been once before, and three other friends who had never been. They all loved it, especially the music and all night, so I have to ask, what was the new school shite that you didn't like? (I wonder if it was one of the songs I requested personally, "We No Speak Americano")

Vicelord John
Oct 23, 2010, 7:11 PM
Glad you liked Lucky Strike. I have been there literally 3 times a week since they opened. One day I did lunch, then dinner, and then lunch the next day there, so three times in 24 hours. It's been great to me and most of the staff knows me by name. Unfortunately, starting Monday, the Lunch & Bowl increases in price from $5.50 to $9.95... probably won't be going back too much, except for the ocassional happy hour during the week. They have a bomb one that runs 7 days a week 4-7 and 9-close.

They can't even do something as simple as providing bike racks. We all rode our bikes down there last night and had to lock up to the pedestrian handrails. There were a ton of bikes locked up wherever people could find something to lock up to. It seems to me that a simple bick rack area would be a no brainer to provide.

I don't know if you noticed, but there is an area right in front of the elevators by the CVS entrance, right under the stairs up to lucky strike, that is literally dead space. There is nothing that can be done with it.... except bike racks! I've talked to a couple of guys at RED via phone calls I made, and they said the bike racks are in the parking garage and that those of us on bikes are encouraged to use the elevators to access the garage.

Too bad my bike wont fit in the elevator...

And HX_Guy, you feel Channing Frye has reached celeb status? lol

HX_Guy
Oct 23, 2010, 8:00 PM
Haha...ok maybe not quite celeb status but it's not like he's a nobody.

Back to Cityscape...quite a few things going on including some new stuff churning out of the rumor mill.

First off...saw this going on this morning and thought "WHAT THE HELL? THEY ARE REMOVING THE CRANE? WHAT ABOUT THE HOTEL!?"
http://wwc.instacam.com/instacamimg8/phnxa/10232010/102320101235_l.jpg

But what is in fact happening is that they are taking it down to move it to the south side of the building. It's coming down today and going back up tomorrow at a cost of $200,000.00. Can we take that as the definite proof that the hotel is in fact, finally, going to happen?

Now on to the rumors...apparently Hunt Construction very recently had a meeting with Colliers and they want Hunt onboard for building two new hotel towers on the 3rd block, a Hilton hotel and an Embassy Suites. They want the whole project completed by 2014 and they want to do it now because constructions costs are very low.
The other part of the rumor is that they got rights from the City to build an above ground enclosed walkway directly to the convention center.

Now that all sounds great...but a couple things don't quite line up to me.

First, why not use the hotel pad collier already has next to Hard Rock Cafe? That looks ready to build on.

Second, can downtown support that many new hotels? I mean I've heard that there was a shortage of rooms but with Palomar and the Westin coming online, plus the huge Sheraton recently? It would be fantastic if true, would definitely help support downtown restaurants and retail.

Third, do they have the funds? Seems near impossible these days to get any financing, unless they have the cash themselves? Self finance it like OCPE did with their building?

Finally, how exactly will they connect this to the convention center when that isn't the adjacent block? The current Colliers block does border the part of the Convention Center that has not been redone yet, but I dont see that happening anytime soon. Maybe they are just getting the right for who knows when in the future?

Vicelord John
Oct 23, 2010, 8:15 PM
I would poop...

HooverDam
Oct 23, 2010, 8:28 PM

First, why not use the hotel pad collier already has next to Hard Rock Cafe? That looks ready to build on.

Agreed. Id much rather have that pad with a hotel on it and the surface lot used as open space.

Second, can downtown support that many new hotels? I mean I've heard that there was a shortage of rooms but with Palomar and the Westin coming online, plus the huge Sheraton recently? It would be fantastic if true, would definitely help support downtown restaurants and retail.

Yes. If we want to get the really big conventions, we need more hotel space. Even with the Sheraton, a lot of conventions seem to put people at places like the Clarendon and other non downtown locations. Downtown Phoenix I think has something like 2K hotel rooms, thats miniscule compared to cities even half our size.

Finally, how exactly will they connect this to the convention center when that isn't the adjacent block? The current Colliers block does border the part of the Convention Center that has not been redone yet, but I dont see that happening anytime soon. Maybe they are just getting the right for who knows when in the future?

Yah it doesn't make any sense. First off ,this isn't Minnesota with freezing weather and giant piles of snow on the ground half the year. Sure its hot, but trees, shade structures and misters are enough to combat that. Enclosed walkways kill street life and the City should do everything in their power to discourage this.

Also, perhaps if a rush of hotels was built Downtown (unlikely) the South Building of the Convention Center would be demolished and replaced sooner rather than later. Its still used a lot b/c its cheap, but its fairly small and single level.

HX_Guy
Oct 23, 2010, 8:34 PM
You and your open space, it's not going to happen. :D I think the land is just too valuable to not build on, didn't they pay something like $22 Million a few years ago for that block?

Vicelord John
Oct 23, 2010, 8:34 PM
It's not uncommon for people attending downtown conventions to stay here at Sanctuary as well as other hotels in the Paradise Valley/Scottsdale area. This is from a combonation of nothing nice enough for these people's sense of entitlement, and lack of inventory downtown. Downtown could support at least 1,500 more beds easily.

HX_Guy
Oct 23, 2010, 8:40 PM
Sounds good to me. Westin and Palomar will bring about 500 rooms together...two new hotels could do the rest. I'd love to see more hotels built because it brings in temporary residents to downtown, which is what we need. If I think about it, all big city downtown seem to be all retail/restaurant/hotels. And what a perfect place...it would connect the rest of Cityscape with Collier's block which has a few restaurants and Hard Rock. You'd actually have four city blocks of retail/restaurant/hotels...a little core of activity.

Vicelord John
Oct 23, 2010, 8:45 PM
yes, it is true that most big city downtowns have more temporary beds than permanant ones. Gaslamp is almost solely hotels, downtown Chicago is mostly hotels, and same goes for Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, etc.

Conventioneers spend more money as well, as much of it is expensed back to their employer. Be prepared to see higher prices at downtown establishments with the opening of each new hotel.

PHX31
Oct 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
We were at Cityscape last night too, first at Oktoberfest and then at Lucky Strike from about 9:30 to 12:00. Like you said, the place was just busy enough to not be annoying though the lounge area was a lot more packed than the bowling area. I love that you can grab a seat on one of the many couches even if not bowling (not the couches in line with the lanes, the ones at the end). Great seeing some local celeba there too, Channing Frye in this case.

I went with my wife, who had been once before, and three other friends who had never been. They all loved it, especially the music and all night, so I have to ask, what was the new school shite that you didn't like? (I wonder if it was one of the songs I requested personally, "We No Speak Americano")

It was my b-day last night, being the old man I'm becoming (32 years old), I don't recognize much of "today's music". I just remember thinking when we got there (around 8), they were playing a lot of older songs and not just hip-hopish stuff, which i liked. Then eventually the volume was turned up and they played more recent stuff. It wasn't that bad, and I had fun dancing a bit and stuff. I saw Channing Frye too, we were congregated one or two lanes away from him (a few of the girls from my group were dancing in that area if you noticed - that was me/us).

As far as the bike racks, john v., yeah, i did notice that dead space and i was going to suggest putting bike racks in there, but i didn't feel like trying to explain it. But that would definitely be a good place. Who the hell puts bike racks in a parking garage?

gymratmanaz
Oct 24, 2010, 1:22 AM
Lovin Cityscape and the new news!

PhxPavilion
Oct 25, 2010, 5:58 AM
Now that all sounds great...but a couple things don't quite line up to me.

They may be thinking about building one of the hotels on the third block and the other on the empty pad; this would allow them to easily build a walkway from the pad directly across the street to the convention center's south building or to the southeast or northeast corner of Washington. They could also build another walkway from the second level of the collier center to the hotel on the third block which was the original plan when the collier center was to have four towers.

I'll believe it when I see it though, certainly not holding my breath.

Vicelord John
Oct 25, 2010, 6:04 AM
They may be thinking about building one of the hotels on the third block and the other on the empty pad; this would allow them to easily build a walkway from the pad directly across the street to the convention center's south building. They could also build another walkway from the second level of the collier center to the hotel on the third block, thus connecting them all. This was the original plan when the collier center was planned to have four towers.

Sounds awful

HX_Guy
Oct 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
Cityscape has launched a revamped website. I like the look, worlds better than their previous site.

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/

Vicelord John
Oct 27, 2010, 1:43 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/05dc4fc1.jpg

gymratmanaz
Oct 27, 2010, 2:08 AM
JOHN. You beat me. I saw the place all lit up last night. it really looks great. It makes that corner of Cityscape very inviting and energetic.

Even though Charming Charlies isn't your fave. When it opens and lights up, it will make quite a stir on that corner, with both shops lit up.

By the way, the new Cityscape website lists breakfast Club opening in late 2011. If the thing going in now in the middle of the mesa is a breakfast place, it probably is not associated with breakfast Club. HX and I had talked that it might might be a TO GO part of breakfast Club. ANYONE?????

Vicelord John
Oct 27, 2010, 2:52 AM
Yeah. All lit up. Lit up and ready to move inventory in TOMORROW!

As for CC, no its not my favorite store. I dont hate it, its jist that its a girl only store so i cant use it. I actually think its a smart concept for teenage girls. Sell things by the color... Why dis this take so long ro figure out? Like i said though, its such a busy place. It'd be easier to navigate the antartic icebergs.

I would guess the kiosk is LGO Coffee, which is racist btw. I got coffee today and wanted extra dark roast... Its called Nigerian????

HX_Guy
Oct 27, 2010, 3:17 AM
Is that Urban Outfitters signage new?

Vicelord John
Oct 27, 2010, 3:31 AM
No its been there for months.

Phxguy
Oct 27, 2010, 5:40 AM
I love cityscape, it sure is providing much more than Arizona Center and in a much more acessible location. Not that I shop at Urban Outfitters, but it'll sure a great addition downtown.
Just a question, is anyone attending the block party on 11/4-11/7?

gymratmanaz
Oct 27, 2010, 6:22 AM
The urban Outfitters signage is new and lit.

HX_Guy
Oct 27, 2010, 6:53 AM
I love cityscape, it sure is providing much more than Arizona Center and in a much more acessible location. Not that I shop at Urban Outfitters, but it'll sure a great addition downtown.
Just a question, is anyone attending the block party on 11/4-11/7?

Absolutely! This is truly the first real urban part of Cityscape to me, including when compared to CVS. The CVS is great and has the same corner entrance, but it feels a lot more commonplace and doesn't quite has the presence this has. The Urban Outfitters just feels so downtown to me, it's awesome.

As for the block party, I'm planning on going to the State of Downtown speech and maybe the night Macy Gray performs since I have plans for that Saturday, otherwise I would of rather attended that night.

HX_Guy
Oct 27, 2010, 7:07 AM
The urban Outfitters signage is new and lit.

Yea, the whole awning looks to be a pretty new addition as it wasn't thereabout a month and a half ago when this picture was taken...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=550538&id=118100984871096

HX_Guy
Oct 27, 2010, 7:14 AM
http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/2010/10/cityscape-tenants-announce-opening-dates/

A few opening date updates. Looks like Urban Outfitters, Charming Charlies and Republic of Couture will open Nov. 4th and Vitamin T on Nov 12th. Are Charlies and R.O.C really that close to being completed?

gymratmanaz
Oct 27, 2010, 12:34 PM
Unless some elves come help. I don't see any way for that to happen for ROC. CC could be, but they will have to crank.

Phxguy
Oct 27, 2010, 10:55 PM
Absolutely! This is truly the first real urban part of Cityscape to me, including when compared to CVS. The CVS is great and has the same corner entrance, but it feels a lot more commonplace and doesn't quite has the presence this has. The Urban Outfitters just feels so downtown to me, it's awesome.

As for the block party, I'm planning on going to the State of Downtown speech and maybe the night Macy Gray performs since I have plans for that Saturday, otherwise I would of rather attended that night.

I do love the location of Urban Outfitters, right on the corner of 2 busy streets in the heart of downtown, opening up to the view of buildings towering above you, huge floor to ceiling windows, and the entrance is pretty straight forward, just step off the sidewalk. CVS, while it has an entrance on the street, it doesn't have just quite the feeling of being downtown.
If I do attend Saturday, I'll be taking pictures like crazy of the site. Inside the stores, the event, and the construction site for tower 2.

bwonger06
Oct 28, 2010, 7:13 PM
Coming Soon to CityScape: Aaron May's Vitamin T
By Michele Laudig, Thu., Oct. 28 2010 @ 8:51AM Comments (2)

​Chef Aaron May is finally expanding his empire to Downtown Phoenix, adding Mexican food to his roster of half a dozen other restaurant concepts that run the gamut from upscale tapas to casual American breakfast fare.

Vitamin T is the name of his new spot set to open November 12 at CityScape, the new $900 million mixed-use development that spans two city blocks in the heart of the urban core.

VItamin T will be open daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. at 1 E Washington St., Ste. 175. A phone number isn't available yet; follow @EatVitaminT on Twitter for info.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2010/10/coming_soon_to_cityscape_aaron.php

Nice to hear it is open late. Wish they could be open a little later on weekends because they could make a real killing especially from the club/bar crowd.

gymratmanaz
Oct 31, 2010, 2:11 AM
Posted this in another, but then thought it should go here too....

The guy in the kiosk had a set of plans that we looked at. Definitely Breakfast Club. Hopefully they will add some tables and umrellas for eating on the mesa. Add more color!

Bob is planning a patio for LGO. I am betting it will be a bit bigger than VitaminT since there is a little more room due to the small setback of the shop entrance compared to Vitamin T.

Charming Charlie's signage looks great, and they were installing the ground level signage too on both Washington and Central.

Urban Outfitters is almost half filled of merchandise. They are still adding wood trim and decorations. Great vibe around it!!

They have the foam inside Oakville Grocery, so it looks like they might be starting on that buildout soon.

Anyone know what that little art gallery is under Par Excellance? Is it a temporary thing until the actual shop goes in. I thought it wasgoing to be a coffee shop there?

Vicelord John
Oct 31, 2010, 2:23 AM
i was wondering about that art as well. I'm sure it's unrented space.

bwonger06
Nov 1, 2010, 8:11 AM
Party planned for Cityscape opening in Phoenix

3 comments by Emily Gersema - Oct. 31, 2010 09:20 PM
The Arizona Republic

In four days, the $900 million CityScape development in downtown Phoenix will celebrate its grand opening.

Mayor Phil Gordon kicks off four days of festivities on Thursday with his annual State of Downtown speech, which will be followed by concerts, wine and food tastings and entertainment.

CityScape music lineup for opening

The grand opening is a milestone for this project. RED Development spent five years transforming the idea for an urban office, retail and restaurant site into concrete and steel on two blocks sandwiched by Washington and Jefferson streets, First Avenue and Second Street.

One by one, stores and restaurants have been opening.

The first tenants included Gold's Gym, CVS/pharmacy, Lucky Strike bowling lanes, Par Exsalonce salon and spa, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, plus the Designer District and West of SoHo clothing stores. Openings for 15 other restaurants and stores are scheduled through the coming months, including clothing retailer Urban Outfitters on Thursday.

The development also signed new office tenants, including law firms Squire Sanders and Dempsey, and Jennings Strouss & Salmon. Also moving in are law firms Gust Rosenfeld and Polsinelli Shughart.

According to RED Development:

- 85 percent of its leasable 560,000 square feet of office space has been filled.

- 96 percent of its 180,000 square feet of retail space has been rented.

CityScape's capstone is the 250-room Hotel Palomar, a 34-story boutique hotel expected to be under construction until mid- to late 2011. It will be managed by Kimpton Hotels.

The development has drawn a mix of praise and criticism from residents, city officials and downtown business leaders.

Some consider it an optimistic symbol in a grim economy because RED has continued to build it and add tenants despite the recession. They appreciate the additional revenues CityScape will drum up.

But critics fear the project will boom, then bust.

Jeff Moloznik, RED's development manager, has heard some of the concerns, including one raised by a few members of downtown community groups who worry the project could become another Arizona Center, an outdoor mall at Third and Van Buren streets. It was considered a hot spot when it opened 20 years ago but has struggled to keep a full house of stores and restaurants in recent years.

"I think what separates CityScape from Arizona Center is that when you do take the wrapping paper off and our tenants are open, people will really see an engaged street front," Moloznik said. "If you want to have retail on this site, it has to be facing the street."

CityScape is closer than Arizona Center to the heart of downtown.

It is near the Renaissance Square office high-rise, Phelps Dodge, Wells Fargo, Phoenix City Hall, Maricopa County offices and US Airways Center.

"This is the densest place in all of the Valley," Moloznik said. "That didn't exist around or near Arizona Center."

The city is counting on the new development to boost sales-tax revenues.

Elliott D. Pollack & Co. prepared an economic and fiscal-impact analysis of the project in June 2006. It showed CityScape retail sales could generate up to $73.8 million in revenue for the development's two blocks once they are built out. This could provide about $2.2 million in annual sales taxes.

In addition, CityScape's office leases, once all spaces are filled, are projected to hit $24.3 million in revenues per year and generate about $722,000 in taxes.

The hotel would bring in $7.7 million a year with $461,900 in taxes, the analysis said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/10/31/20101031phoenix-cityscape-downtown-grand-opening.html#ixzz1413n4I00

They just don't get it do they. All of 1st Ave, Jefferson, and most of Washington has no retail facing the street and the street facing section has a pedestrian bridge. :gaah:

gymratmanaz
Nov 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
34 story hotel? Glad for the hotel, but come on guys. We know better.

Vicelord John
Nov 1, 2010, 1:46 PM
Lots of retail facing jefferson actually

gymratmanaz
Nov 1, 2010, 3:25 PM
I think the pedestrian bridge is pretty cool. it adds dimension. Plus, if you look, most people use the street. i am sure as Urban Outfitters gets going, it will get used more, but it brings you to more shopping and other stores.

1st ST will have 4 establishments. Central, the whole thing. Jefferson will have 3 and the hotel. 1st ave has 3 plus the entrance.

Vicelord John
Nov 1, 2010, 6:11 PM
Guess Patty Johnson wasn't blowing smoke up the Vicelord's back end.

The grand opening of the massive CityScape mixed-use project in downtown Phoenix is scheduled for the end of the week, and the Phoenix Business Journal has learned from well-placed sources that RED Development has two major upcoming announcements.

• An ice skating rink will open outside CityScape, a la Rockefeller Center, around Thanksgiving and remain open until the first week of January.

• Second, a major health care company has agreed to take the remaining space in the CityScape office tower bringing occupancy up to 100 percent. Details of who that tenant is remain secret.

The Business Journal has calls into RED about the latest developments and will update the story as information becomes available.

RED and Alliance Bank have moved into the 560,000-square-foot tower, as well as several law firms including Ballard Spahr LLP, Jennings Strouss & Salmon PLC and Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP. All but two spaces in the 180,000-square-foot retail portion are leased.

Read more: Outdoor ice rink coming to CityScape | Phoenix Business Journal

HX_Guy
Nov 1, 2010, 7:04 PM
Looks like the article has been updated with some additional information...

Keith Earnest, vice president of development for RED Development, said he can’t discuss pending
negotiations as it relates to potential health care tenant.

However, two tenants he can disclose are taking smaller spaces.

NRG Energy Inc., an alternative energy firm based in New Jersey, is moving its Phoenix office to CityScape
taking 5,000 square feet. That move is taking place today.

Raza Development Fund, a Hispanic development group, is moving in Dec. 1 and taking 7,200 square feet.

Alliance Bank moved in two weeks ago, taking 23,000 square feet for offices and 2,700 more for its branch bank.

The ice skating rink “is moving forward,” Earnest said. It will be made of a fabricated material “that feels and
looks like ice,” he said

CityScape will close the fountains and lay the rink over that area.

“It will be just like Rockefeller Center,” Earnest said, expecting to see a few triple salchows.

He said the rink will be open from Thanksgiving to early next year. Ice skates will be rented from one of the
small retail spaces or a kiosk next to the rink.

bwonger06
Nov 1, 2010, 8:52 PM
Nice to see the rink and new tenants. Although the two we know that are moving in are simply relocating from downtown office to downtown office, it would be really great if the medical company moving in is a place expanding into the valley.

Vicelord John
Nov 1, 2010, 8:56 PM
I think the pedestrian bridge is pretty cool. it adds dimension. Plus, if you look, most people use the street. i am sure as Urban Outfitters gets going, it will get used more, but it brings you to more shopping and other stores.

1st ST will have 4 establishments. Central, the whole thing. Jefferson will have 3 and the hotel. 1st ave has 3 plus the entrance.

I agree on all counts, except for 1st Ave. The only entrance facing 1st ave is Five Guys, and that is hidden behind the parking garage ramp. The main entrance faces Washington.

Jsmscaleros
Nov 1, 2010, 11:11 PM
It's nice to see Red is doing something to activate the plaza for the holidays, but seriously... can we stop doing broke-ass versions of what other cities do and come up with an original Phoenician idea?

dtnphx
Nov 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
It will be just like Rockefeller Center....exactly! Hilarious! :haha:

http://glenwoodnyc.com/roller/blog/resource/ice-skating-new-york-rockefeller-center.jpg

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
Skating outdoors in Phoenix isn't original? :)

dtnphx
Nov 2, 2010, 1:34 AM
Skating outdoors in Phoenix isn't original? :)

No, it's a nice idea. It's just that hyperbole always gets us on this site and then we're dissapointed. Developers always spin this sh*t so much and it's frustating or laughable as in an ice skating rink like Rockefeller Center.

HX_Guy
Nov 2, 2010, 2:05 AM
It's nice to see Red is doing something to activate the plaza for the holidays, but seriously... can we stop doing broke-ass versions of what other cities do and come up with an original Phoenician idea?

Such as? Not sure what else they could do for the winter months. Their summer idea was the splash pad.

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 2:19 AM
Again, doing nothing is not a good "Other Option"!!!!

Those that think this is stupid, unclench. Go cool off and sit on the ice.(Or artificial skatable ice... LOL)

HX and I were talking the other day when we were there. If the folks at Cityscape keep doing a variety of activities and gatherings, the better. If 50 people come to something, and another 40 come to something else, and 20 to another, and 300 to another.....the place gets seen and interest grows. Octoberfest, a different band each Friday, skating, water pad, Nascars, Macy, Third Eye, Christmas tree lighting, New Years festivities.... It all adds to build interest.

What was cool the other day when HX and I were there, and I see this at night when i am working....people milling about when even nothing is going on. This is a new thing for this area of downtown. Is it NYC, Chicago, or San Diego? No, but damn stuff is starting to happen downtown.

There, my soapbox is now free........ have at it. :)

Vicelord John
Nov 2, 2010, 3:46 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/89f0fe42.jpg

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 3:49 AM
cool, John. Nice pic!

plinko
Nov 2, 2010, 4:30 AM
Curious... anybody got shots up Central (day or night) from the middle of the pedestrian bridge? Would seem like a great location for new 'canyon' shots.

*I still hate the idea of the pedestrian bridge as I think it is completely useless, but nonetheless it should make a good photo perch*

Vicelord John
Nov 2, 2010, 4:38 AM
Not dense enough for a long enough distance to really look that cool.

Urban outfitters has no second floor entrance, btw.

plinko
Nov 2, 2010, 4:50 AM
Not dense enough for a long enough distance to really look that cool.

Maybe, but it would allow for three types of shots I think would be interesting:

1. long distance LRT shots, straight up the tracks (maybe best as it crests Hance Park)

2. dusk long shutter traffic shots, with towers on both sides all the way up to North Mountain

3. wide-angle or fisheye lens shot upward at the surrounding towers, made better by the fact that you are in the middle of Central.

Obviously I'd love to take such shots but as I no longer live there... *puppydogeyes*

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 5:16 AM
Yes Urban Outfitters has a 2nd story entrance!!! It is just west of the pedestrian bridge, just east of Par Excelance. There are actually 2 sets of doors. Isn't the picture you took right inside one of those doorways?? :)

Vicelord John
Nov 2, 2010, 5:44 AM
Doors are permanently shut. There are no handles on them. Sorry charlie.

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 12:11 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING? No way! I can't wait to check that out. Seriously?

Vicelord John
Nov 2, 2010, 3:07 PM
Yes serial. I am super duper serial.

gymratmanaz
Nov 2, 2010, 3:41 PM
Go get 'em Man-Bear-Cub!!!

gymratmanaz
Nov 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
They now have a bunch of white-ish bricks with names on them to commemorate important Phoenix people. They are being places on the elevator column. Not sure how it is going to look when done.

ALSO, they have just wrapped all the trees with Chritmas lights. Will look really nice!!!

Vicelord John
Nov 4, 2010, 3:39 PM
Wonder who i talk to about getting a brick...

gymratmanaz
Nov 4, 2010, 5:28 PM
I think at least the Forum deserves one as a whole.

HX_Guy
Nov 5, 2010, 12:50 AM
At the State of Downtown speech right now and they announced that next week sometime RED will announce a brand new tenant that will occupy 150,000 sq ft.

Good stuff but where are they going to fit them? Addition above the hotel? And why announce it next week and not on a night like tonight?

HX_Guy
Nov 5, 2010, 1:03 AM
Starbucks coming to Cityscape at 1st Ave and Washington, I'm guessing in the temporary art gallery that is there now.

Also, not at Cityscape but "a few blocks" to the NW, a new announcement will be made prior to Thanksgiving that a new tenant taking 200,000 sq ft and bringing 1,000 workers will be announced.

Third, UofA just announced that they will build an Arizona Cancer Center building on the BioMed campus with groundbreaking in 2011.

Finally, the mayor and ASU are meeting next week to start on the planning and design of the law school.