PDA

View Full Version : Provo MSA Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

i-215
Jun 3, 2007, 5:17 PM
What's up with Brant Anderson anyway? Out of nowhere he makes this huge to-do at a press conference, than disappears.

I think it's time the news calls Anderson to see what's up...

DevdogAZ
Jun 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
Ya it seems like here in utah it happens all the time! IT PISSES ME OFF SO BAD!

It happens everywhere. It's just the nature of development. People throw out grand ideas to see what kind of excitement, funding, and sales they can generate. More often than not, their visions are bigger than what can realistically happen, so they disappear quietly.

There are at least a dozen high-rise proposals in PHX right now that will likely never happen.

poodledoodledude
Jun 7, 2007, 8:03 PM
hi guys! well, they announced it yesterday... for drawings go to the harktheherald site....

anyway, it will be 10 stories, along with other buildings for the vacant lots between ottavios, the knight building, and the old allens camera building. it will start this fall and be done by 2009.

i wish i knew how to attach photos etc...but anyway, it's announced and the drawings look AWESOME!!!!!

poodledoodledude

wrendog
Jun 7, 2007, 8:10 PM
Hey poodledude... check the thread titled "New 10 story tower for Provo"... we have renderings and thoughts there...

SLC Projects
Jun 7, 2007, 9:46 PM
Midtown project update...

It's getting really big.
South Wing
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8074/midtownvillagejune20072ts5.jpg

North Wing
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6001/midtownvillagejune20073as7.jpg

South Wing
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8996/midtownvillagejune20074zj0.jpg

Both Wings
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9697/midtownvillagejune20076rq0.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4383/midtownvillagejune20075be2.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5884/midtownvillagejune2007vc3.jpg

Wasatch_One
Jun 7, 2007, 9:59 PM
I can see my parents unit... Theyre moving to Denver but wanted to keep a place out here also.

Viperlord
Jun 8, 2007, 4:19 AM
Freedom Pointe, a 32 unit condominium project with 5,000 square feet of retail space on 0.67 acre, generally located at 207 West 300 North provo in the CBD.

http://www.corpuscapital.us/images/FPrendering02.JPG

DevdogAZ
Jun 8, 2007, 5:54 AM
That Freedom Pointe project looks cool. Which corner of Freedom Blvd./300 N. will it be on? Either NW or SW. One of those is where Hundley's used cars is/was. Glad to see stuff happening in DT Provo.

Boiseguy
Jun 8, 2007, 5:58 AM
that looks alot like snake river landing in Idaho Falls.... A LOT like it actually.. I wonder if its the same develper

jedikermit
Jun 8, 2007, 2:00 PM
I'm glad to see all this development happening in the CBD in Provo...especially the stuff that's replacing surface parking lots, not demolishing other historic buildings. Looks like they've been paying attention, where other cities around here...haven't.

poodledoodledude
Jun 8, 2007, 7:28 PM
guys, i am having a hard time keeping track of everything going on in downtown provo....

1. new 10 story highrise by the knight building
2. new 3-4 story buildings next to ottavios, and einstein bagels
3. renovation of the knight and other building east of there...
4. new freedom pointe condos on the NW corner of 200 west and 300 north
5. new highrise tower from zions bank
6. new expansion of the courthouse on the north side
7. new highrise from arrowstar construction south of the mormon tabernacle(not much info on this one yet....)
8. new condos just west of the post office...4 story NICE condos
9. new development on 200-300 west on center street (not much info)
10. new arts center for the performing arts etc....
11. new highrise where the old quest building now is... (zions development?)
12. new convention center added onto the marriott hotel with a sky bridge going across 200 west attached to the hotel. (begins next spring)

dang....this is INCREDIBLE!!! i'm SOOOO thrilled i can't even see straight!!

anyway, with all the construction....it'll be hard to get around and NOT notice...

poodledoodledude

Wasatch_One
Jun 8, 2007, 8:14 PM
That Freedom Pointe project looks cool. Which corner of Freedom Blvd./300 N. will it be on? Either NW or SW. One of those is where Hundley's used cars is/was. Glad to see stuff happening in DT Provo.

Dev, yeah, Hundleys is getting torn down for this mixed use project. This is right across the street, south and west of Smiths in downtown.

Its the same developer (co-developer?) as the Huntington that just broke ground also in the CBD in Provo (Richard Astle)

Before getting my place at the Riverwoods, I checked out both of these projects (Huntington and Freedom Pointe.) But I wanted to move into something sooner than these two projects could offer... but yeah, they will definitely add to the vibrancy of the CBD.

And Poodledude, dont forget the huge expansion of the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center...

Also the Alpine Village which is a HUGE student complex which is nearing completion on Freedom Blvd and about 1300 north.

Also the Joaquin Village student complex that Arrowstar is also doing on 5th north and 5th east... Its going to be 5 stories and like 250 units.

Also right across the street from me is the Arbors on the Avenue and theyre moving right along on that project. Framing is almost complete on phase one. I think there will be a total of 120 units when complete ranging from $315K-$500K

Plus the Tanner bldg expansion at BYU and the huge and good looking Gordon B Hinkley bldg also at BYU... Im sure im missing something as well.

quite an impressive stock of construction in our city.

poodledoodledude
Jun 8, 2007, 9:39 PM
wasatch one...

yes, i almost forgot about the other developments away from downtown.

did you hear that the store by the provo towne centre is a tire store, and not a carl's junior? i found out the other day...

it's exciting to see all of the new developments going in near our neck of the woods...

poodledoodledude

shrubber
Jun 8, 2007, 9:39 PM
What's up with Brant Anderson anyway? Out of nowhere he makes this huge to-do at a press conference, than disappears.

I think it's time the news calls Anderson to see what's up...

I've been watching and agendas and minutes from the Lehi City Council meetings. Despite the claims that this would begin construction quickly, nothing has come before the Lehi City Council meetings or Planning Commission meetings since it was announced.

I would love to see it built. However, I think it will probably have the same fate as the Terrace at Traverse Mountain. For those who think having the name, Frank Gehry, on it will make it happen should probably know that several of his projects have never been completed.

Also, assuming that a final design is revealed, I hope people will be willing to support it. It was easy to like his design with blocks and simple shapes, but that big glass tower will more likely resemble the one he has designed for his Brooklyn project:
http://brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/gehry1y77ff.jpg

Personally, I like his style because it's so abstract. However, I'm sure there will be a lot of backlash when the final design is revealed.

wrendog
Jun 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
welcome to the board shrubber! Honestly, I don't think this will ever come to fruition. BUT if it looked like that rendering, I would love it. I know that most people would hate it, though.

Wasatch_One
Jun 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
I dont think the Gehry project has a chance in hell (or in this case, Zion ;)) ...of getting completed, ha...

I like the idea, hate the location and agree that the final product would be quite out there for most Utahans...

and BTW, Shrubber, I see that was your first post... Welcome to the forum, its good to have new people and ideas around! Come back and share your commentary often...

:cheers:

SLC Projects
Jun 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
guys, i am having a hard time keeping track of everything going on in downtown provo....

1. new 10 story highrise by the knight building
2. new 3-4 story buildings next to ottavios, and einstein bagels
3. renovation of the knight and other building east of there...
4. new freedom pointe condos on the NW corner of 200 west and 300 north
5. new highrise tower from zions bank
6. new expansion of the courthouse on the north side
7. new highrise from arrowstar construction south of the mormon tabernacle(not much info on this one yet....)
8. new condos just west of the post office...4 story NICE condos
9. new development on 200-300 west on center street (not much info)
10. new arts center for the performing arts etc....
11. new highrise where the old quest building now is... (zions development?)
12. new convention center added onto the marriott hotel with a sky bridge going across 200 west attached to the hotel. (begins next spring)

dang....this is INCREDIBLE!!! i'm SOOOO thrilled i can't even see straight!!

anyway, with all the construction....it'll be hard to get around and NOT notice...

poodledoodledude

:previous:
Wow, there is so much going on in Provo now I had no idea. But what is this new highrise from arrowstar construction south of the mormon tabernacle? This is new to me. :shrug:

shrubber
Jun 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have a lot of interest in development in Utah County, especially up in Lehi. Over a year ago I made the website http://traversemountainnews.com to discuss issues going on up there (Traverse Mountain). I'm glad to have found this forum as another source for information on what's going on. I'll also refer people back here so hopefully I can bring a few more users with me.

Wasatch_One
Jun 8, 2007, 10:21 PM
Arrowstar bought and demoloshed the old Hotel Roberts about 3 years back... kind of sad cause it was an historic hotel from the late 1800's in downtown Provo, however, it went downhill rapidly and suposedly was beyond repair.

Arrowstar mentioned that they will be developing a large mixed-use project on the property approx. 200 S and University Ave. Of course that was released at the time of demolition back in '04(?)

Not much else has been revealed since then, however, they did just recently put a big sign on the property with their name on it...

Wasatch_One
Jun 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
Shrubber, I think we have an entire thread dedicated to Traverse Mountain burried somewhere. As the mall project lost steam, I think our interest lost some as well...

Well have to dig it back up.

wrendog
Jun 8, 2007, 10:43 PM
Stick around shrubber, this forum is very active... I have been to your site quite a few times actually... If you have any insight on the terrace, let us know!

poodledoodledude
Jun 8, 2007, 11:46 PM
SLC Projects:

the development south of the mormon tabernacle is still in the 'planning' stages. the folks that own that land are the same ones that helped develop the wells fargo building...and i was told they are the same owners as well (i guess a partnership with wells fargo?)

anyway, yes, there is a sign there now saying it is arrowstar, and wasatch one is right...they are planning a mixed use development there....as we ALL know, they would be STUPID to put in a one or two story condominium with a laundry mat on the bottom floor....

so, through the grapevine, i have heard they are planning a nice big office/condo project there, but it is still in land use. also, it sounds as if they are negotiating land acquistion with other property owners, and may be the reason for the delay.

if you remember before the wells fargo building was built, the vacant storefronts were there for YEARS before anything was done because of a suit shop that was there didn't want to sell their building.

when wells fargo developers offered enough incentive and money and jazz tickets, and WHO KNOWS what else, they agreed and the wells fargo center went through.

as you know, arrowstar is an awesome construction company, and will put in a NICE building there. i also think they are waiting until the time is right to announce what they want to do there. it's a GREAT piece of property and it would be foolish to do anything OTHER than a LARGE scale development there.

so, the talk in MY vinyard (with some folks i know that know other folks) is a nice highrise (10-15 stories) with shops underneath, office space, and condos on top...

so, that is my scoop. i heard they were in negotiations with the restaraunt next door and possibly travelodge, but NOT SURE ON THAT...the property they have is big enough for what they want to do...

that is my two pence...
keep the change.

poodledoodledude

Wasatch_One
Jun 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
Poodledude, where do you get all your info... you seem to be pretty well informed/connected.

Are your sources inline with what you do for work?

poodledoodledude
Jun 9, 2007, 5:53 PM
wasatch one--

hey brother-- i guess you could say i like to follow the city planning and council meetings. i also know one of the council members personally, and i used to date their daughter in high school YEARS ago....i get a lot of my info by asking around.

i have lived here in provo for over 30 years, and in that time, you get to know a lot of other business owners....for example, the suit shop that was unwilling to sell to wells fargo, is my brothers BEST friend. so, he gave us a TON of information about the wells fargo development. some good information.

i also talk to other business owners downtown. my best friends mom runs the arts program for provo....she'll be the one in the provo arts center. she knows a lot too...

my line of work is NOT working for the city, but i LOVE (as a hobby) to ask questions to city council members, mayor, business owners, and friends of friends of friends to get to the scoop of it.

also, i just moved to a new neighborhood in south east provo. the guy in my new neighborhood is on the city council!!!

so, yes, he'll get to know me REAL well in a few months... LOL

what is your scoop? you seem to know a TON of stuff too my friend....it would be fun to hang out and go check out all the new develpments one day and take some photos and download them to the site....lemme know if you would like to do that...thanks!

poodledoodledude

Wasatch_One
Jun 11, 2007, 10:51 PM
Im down for whenever. Im actually getting kind of excited about downtown Provo...

Maybe we can even get I-215 to join in as well. I think thats all of us here in Provo (Wrendog could make the long trek down from Lehi)...

i-215
Jun 12, 2007, 3:16 AM

I'd be down as long as there's a cheap place to get a good lunch involved.

As for me and the city council ... I don't get along too well. I went to one meeting and I feel there's a few members too friendly with Arrowstar and other developers.... i.e Joaquin Village.

I think 2 people spoke out in favor of the provisional zoning that let them get away with 65% parking instead of 95% like anybody else would have to. There were dozens of comments against ... but in the end Arrowstar got away with murder (zoning murder, that is).

Uuughh,..... so don't get me started on the Provo City Council.

DevdogAZ
Jun 13, 2007, 2:18 AM

I'd be down as long as there's a cheap place to get a good lunch involved.

As for me and the city council ... I don't get along too well. I went to one meeting and I feel there's a few members too friendly with Arrowstar and other developers.... i.e Joaquin Village.

I think 2 people spoke out in favor of the provisional zoning that let them get away with 65% parking instead of 95% like anybody else would have to. There were dozens of comments against ... but in the end Arrowstar got away with murder (zoning murder, that is).

Uuughh,..... so don't get me started on the Provo City Council.

The city council isn't supposed to base their decisions on the numbers of people speaking for or against an issue at their meetings. They were elected and are trying to do what's best for the city based on far more information than the typical resident has.

I wouldn't judge this (or any other) city council based solely on the fact that they didn't do what you wanted them to do in the one instance where you had experience with them.

i-215
Jun 13, 2007, 4:23 AM
The other half of the story why we are protesting was because they had this plan called SCAMP that was going to make south campus walkable. The city scrapped the plan, in essence saying they aren't going to make the neighborhood walkable, while at the same time they are letting the developer get away with insufficent parking and then putting meters on the streets to make money off the students who will be forced to park there because they have to have a car just to go buy food.

It's part of an ongoing anti-student bias in Provo, and I don't like it.

poodledoodledude
Jun 13, 2007, 8:59 PM
can i just say ONE thing in this regard....

ok, i'll be honest with you...when i was living in salt lake, i was asked ALL THE TIME: Oh, you are from provo? do you go to school down there?
OR: EEWWW, im SOOO sorry you are from PROVO....how do you live down there?!?!

these types of comments DROVE ME CRAZY!!! :hell:

k, lets get this straight: provo is MORE than about "just students" right now. in the past, students were the life down here, and byu and uvsc (byu especially before the 80's) were THE DRAW for money, students, and our economy....but now that provo and orem have grown a little bit, it's not just STUDENTS that bring people to the area. i know a TON of people that came to provo for work...and when they get asked if they came here for "school" they give the person asking a funny look....almost like: have you been to provo lately??

so, that is what i start telling people that ask me if i go to school here. i say, yeah, like ten years ago, but now i work here in the CITY.

now, this is NOT to say that the two universities have no influx of new people coming to town, but its an indication of utah valley growing up a little bit...which i think is AWESOME! i'm glad the "students" hang out here in our CITY after school is over, and contribute to the economy, but hey, not everyone is a student anymore, and some come here from other parts to work.

also, i LOVE living here. i've lived all over the world, and it's like my mom used to say coming back from the BIG (im from kansas city, and SLC is a TOWN to me but anyway....) salt lake up north and would say, peering over the valley on southbound I-15: AAWW, here we are in God's little acre.

i used to roll my eyes, and in some respects i still do, but hey, provo is a GREAT place for it's predictability, low crime, and excellent way of life. there are good and bad to about everywhere you live, and i REALLY like it "down here."

when i want to 'party harty' i head up north, and sometimes, i just want a small drink, so i head over to a bar downtown, and hang out. no big deal. :cheers:

i think it will be neat to have some taller buildings downtown to have a more downtown feel, so going up north won't be as necessary as it used to be.:)

there...ive said it, and i don't regret it...

poodledoodledude

wrendog
Jun 13, 2007, 9:02 PM
(im from kansas city, and SLC is a TOWN to me but anyway....)
poodledoodledude

Kansas City isn't much bigger than SLC.. :)

poodledoodledude
Jun 14, 2007, 3:06 PM
are you kidding me? KC has a TON of stuff....slc still has a "town" feel to it....hate to break it to you wren dog, but man....slc is big, sure, but not a 'city' feel...it's a small city.

wrendog
Jun 14, 2007, 3:24 PM
lol.. huh? a TON of stuff? what does that mean?

KC is in the same category as SLC population wise.

SLC-Ogden = 1.5 mill (add provo-orem and it's 2 mill)
KC = 1.9 mill

Kansas City definitely has a denser downtown, but you make it sound like KC is New York and SLC is Goshen. They are very similar sized metros. Sorry. :)

Northernlad
Jun 14, 2007, 3:50 PM
:previous: They may be in the same category considering metro population, but the city populations are a lot different. Kansas City is a lot larger city than Salt Lake. I know because I served a mission there.
After searching the web, I found the population of Kansas City proper is over 460,000, Salt Lake proper is barely around 200,000. Downtown KC is probably 3 times larger and dense then SLC. It is just the way it is, and I didn't take poodledoodledude's comments as negative towards SLC.

Here is a pic of the KC from online=

http://www.visitusa.com/missouri/images/kansascitymspic.jpg

http://www.businessfacilities.com/images/bfjun06p31b.jpg

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/mcrsa/images/Kansas%20City_1.jpg

Salt Lake=

http://www.tv20.tv/images/saltlake-tb-skyline-07.jpg

The difference in size is day and night.

wrendog
Jun 14, 2007, 4:00 PM
I didn't take it as a negative either. I'm just saying that metro wise they are in the same category. It's obvious that KC downtown is bigger than SLC, but would you say that KC is bigger than Phoenix because it's downtown is bigger? Either way, this is a utah valley thread. :)

mobius42
Jun 14, 2007, 4:11 PM
I didn't take it as a negative either. I'm just saying that metro wise they are in the same category. It's obvious that KC downtown is bigger than SLC, but would you say that KC is bigger than Phoenix because it's downtown is bigger? Either way, this is a utah valley thread. :)

Remember Wren, Northernlad was also the one who thought Logan's downtown had more going for it than Provo's. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Every comment he has is either to knock Salt Lake (or other Wasatch Front cities)down or prop Boise up. Not that there is anything wrong with propping Boise up. I just wonder why he doesn't move there if he likes it so much and seems to dislike the Wasatch Front.

Northernlad
Jun 14, 2007, 4:23 PM
Remember Wren, Northernlad was also the one who thought Logan's downtown had more going for it than Provo's. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Every comment he has is either to knock Salt Lake (or other Wasatch Front cities)down or prop Boise up. Not that there is anything wrong with propping Boise up. I just wonder why he doesn't move there if he likes it so much and seems to dislike the Wasatch Front.

I am a native of Logan so of course I am going to say good things about that city:) Logan has an awesome downtown with great architecture and probably the finest looking temple in the whole state.
Why do Utah people get so bent out of shape if somebody from Utah likes Boise? I will never know, but I think it is hillarious how it riles certain forumers up. And my comment about KC and SLC was not knocking SLC. Do you have tender feelings Mobius? You are wrong fellow buddy forumer, I have never said I dislike the Front. Have you ever been to Logan? Ever been out of Utah? I take your comments with a grain of salt. No pun intended.

poodledoodledude
Jun 14, 2007, 4:26 PM
k, guys, thanks for the clarification of what i was trying to say.
yes, slc is big and is in the same category as KC, but KC feels a LOT bigger than slc. i guess because the metro feels bigger, and has taller buildings downtown. it has a LOT more freeways, and infrastructure is more or less there. there are no mountains to the east, and no lake to the west, which makes making the infrastructure easier to build. also, the climate is different there.

anyway, i LOVE salt lake, lived there, and now i live in provo...which i LOVE. i like it because there still feels like there is ownership here in this town. in other words, when i go to the city council meetings, i feel like everyone's opinion matters. when i went to the KC meetings, it was too big to feel like my opinion on an issue mattered.

anyway, i'm here now, and LOVE it. i wouldn't go back to KC for a minute. i love the mountains, the people, etc...i like the fact that we are all thrilled about utah county's new projects.

look at my posts...oh, and by the way, i hope i didn't come across as comparing kc to nyc....in NO way do those compare.

poodledoodledude

SLC Projects
Jun 14, 2007, 9:28 PM
I think every city in America has a bigger skyline then Salt Lake City's. { Well all but Boise maybe.} But lets hope Salt Lake can play catch up these next few years with all the new towers we are getting. :banana:

SLC Projects
Jun 14, 2007, 9:28 PM
ops I did two posts.

mobius42
Jun 15, 2007, 4:38 AM
I am a native of Logan so of course I am going to say good things about that city:) Logan has an awesome downtown with great architecture and probably the finest looking temple in the whole state.
Why do Utah people get so bent out of shape if somebody from Utah likes Boise? I will never know, but I think it is hillarious how it riles certain forumers up. And my comment about KC and SLC was not knocking SLC. Do you have tender feelings Mobius? You are wrong fellow buddy forumer, I have never said I dislike the Front. Have you ever been to Logan? Ever been out of Utah? I take your comments with a grain of salt. No pun intended.

Like I said I have no problem with liking Boise. My comment is directed to the fact that I have never seen you make a positive comment regarding the Wasatch Front. Only critical comments. That is all. You seem a bit hypersensitive.

Viperlord
Jun 16, 2007, 6:46 AM
I'm not sure if this rendering has been posted, so I will post it anyways..

NorthTown Village project. The proposal includes a total of 51,049 square feet of commercial and office use and 177 residential dwelling units.

1955 North State Street Orem

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5403/northtownvillageoremjg9.jpg

delts145
Jun 16, 2007, 11:30 AM

Excellent news, Orem is one of the cleanest most pleasant cities, with magnificiant views of Timp. and the Wasatch. My only gripe all these years is that it has been so devoid of a central core. It would seem like the advent of a defineable Main Street, is finally building-up for Orem. With MidTown and now NorthTown, State Street is going to start to take on some character. Now, if they will only keep the momentum going around these projects.

Oh, I wanted to ask Poodledoodle or Wasatch if you guys know what is going in at the old BYU dairy site. A very large area has been torn up. Are they putting in more of the attractive, high-end office stock as with the surrounding area, or new playing fields for soccer/baseball?

poodledoodledude
Jun 16, 2007, 3:18 PM
hi guys....

the old BYU dairy site-- yes, i was wondering the same thing. i know BYU has a policy that whatever NEW comes in, something OLD must go...meaning, they like to have open space of grass, trees etc.

for example, the new field they built next door to the dairy site was (i think) compensating for the new tanner building expansion closer to campus.

also, i know they are building the 3 story building on univ ave next to the old UVSC buildings, and the torn down building could also compensate for that.

ill see what i can find out on my end...:tup:

poodledoodledude

Wasatch_One
Jun 16, 2007, 6:22 PM
Oh, I wanted to ask Poodledoodle or Wasatch if you guys know what is going in at the old BYU dairy site. A very large area has been torn up. Are they putting in more of the attractive, high-end office stock as with the surrounding area, or new playing fields for soccer/baseball?

Im pretty sure that they are just going to expand the existing intermural playing fields all the way down to 2230 North...

DevdogAZ
Jun 18, 2007, 8:47 PM

NorthTown Village project. The proposal includes a total of 51,049 square feet of commercial and office use and 177 residential dwelling units.

That looks cool. Is it on that big lot just south of the Allen's grocery store, or is Allen's going to be torn down for this project? I'd think the address would put it right on the corner, where Allen's currently is.

Wasatch_One
Jun 18, 2007, 8:57 PM
^ yeah, its across State St. from Allens.

Its the same developer that is building the Mid-Town Village (Larry Myler) and they are actually storing a lot of the building materials for Mid-Town on that lot...

SLC Projects
Jun 18, 2007, 9:50 PM
Wow this Larry Myler is sure doing alot of "Mid-town projects" He's building a midtown up in Clearfield as well. :tup:
Word is He might be looking at other cities to build even more of these midtown projects. :banana:

Wasatch_One
Jun 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
Suposedly St. George is slated to get one as well...

SLCforme
Jun 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
Wow this Larry Myler is sure doing alot of "Mid-town projects" He's building a midtown up in Clearfield as well. :tup:
Word is He might be looking at other cities to build even more of these midtown projects. :banana:

God is building these projects? :haha: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But these are nice projects. I hope St. George does get one; they need to start building up instead of out.

Wasatch_One
Jun 18, 2007, 10:45 PM
...I just remembered my dad telling me that He, (Myler ;)) is also building one in Park City near the Canyons Resort and theyre going to be like $500+ per sq ft

delts145
Jun 18, 2007, 11:22 PM
I've been really impressed with the angles,shapes and style of the Mid-town project in Orem. I hope that the finish work will complement what has so far been an attractive, high quality project.

DevdogAZ
Jun 18, 2007, 11:25 PM
Good to see you back, delts. It seems like you were absent for a little while.

SmilingBob
Jun 22, 2007, 7:30 PM

Is this going to front directly onto State St. or will we have acres of parking lots between these buildings and the road.

Trying to picture what this would do to the feel of this Orem/Lindon area. You have Allen's across the street and IHC InstaCare to the north and a big condo development to the south. I like the look of things being built along the road, but in this location I think it would look out of place. It's more of a downtown look if it's built (or build, if you prefer;) ) right up to the street.

All in all I don't think I like where this is going to be. If more things like it are added to the neighborhood, then maybe, but I think this will stick out like a 20 story building in Vineyard.

DevdogAZ
Jun 22, 2007, 9:56 PM
Is this going to front directly onto State St. or will we have acres of parking lots between these buildings and the road.

Trying to picture what this would do to the feel of this Orem/Lindon area. You have Allen's across the street and IHC InstaCare to the north and a big condo development to the south. I like the look of things being built along the road, but in this location I think it would look out of place. It's more of a downtown look if it's built (or build, if you prefer;) ) right up to the street.

All in all I don't think I like where this is going to be. If more things like it are added to the neighborhood, then maybe, but I think this will stick out like a 20 story building in Vineyard.

I agree. Plus with State Street being so wide, it's never going to be very pedestrian friendly, so putting an urban-type development close to the street will simply look strange.

i-215
Jun 22, 2007, 10:11 PM
One of the reasons the idea of putting the parking lot in front of the building is to make the road "feel more open" and feel safer driving faster. The idea was to get their foot off the brake and get moving - which of State Street in Orem is a blessing.

Sometimes it works too well - and why University Avenue is less enjoyable to walk along than Center Street in Provo. On Center Street drivers feel claustrophobic and it psychologically forces them to slow down.

I agree. If they put the developement on a side street it would make better sense.

poodledoodledude
Jun 23, 2007, 6:24 AM
guys, have you all read my new post on the provo page?? if not, get over there...it's FULL of NEW information on the ZIONS project, the COURTS project, and the convention center project, the project south of the tabernacle, and one on 200-300 west on centerstreet, and 800-900 west on center street!!!

poodledoodledude

SmilingBob
Jun 25, 2007, 11:35 PM
Ran across this photo.

Makes it feel like AF is a ski town? :D

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/350918/state-street-american-fork.jpg

From the foothills on the border of Orem & Lindon

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/179091/orem-lindon-from-foothills.jpg

delts145
Jun 25, 2007, 11:43 PM
^^^

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/350918/state-street-american-fork.jpg

And thats exactly what it looks like. No trick photography or zoom lens needed.

delts145
Jun 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
Orem alters transit plan
Thursday, June 28,2007

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680194672,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/4294885a.jpg
Deseret Morning News Graphic

delts145
Jun 29, 2007, 1:29 PM
Major new convention center poses dilemma for Pleasant Grove officials,

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/226961/18/

:notacrook: Also, have any of you driven past Highland's commercial corridor lately,(Junction of the Alpine Hwy and the 92). Major development is going on at the northwest corner,encompassing a very large area, directly north of the Kohler's plaza.

Happy Valley Freak
Jun 30, 2007, 2:05 AM
Major new convention center poses dilemma for Pleasant Grove officials,

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/226961/18/

:notacrook: Also, have any of you driven past Highland's commercial corridor lately,(Junction of the Alpine Hwy and the 92). Major development is going on at the northwest corner,encompassing a very large area, directly north of the Kohler's plaza.

crap:(

delts145
Jul 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
:tup: Redwood Rd. expansion,approval expected within the month

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/228261/14/

delts145
Jul 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
Lehi

Development could add 20 percent to area

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/228279/16/

DevdogAZ
Jul 13, 2007, 6:53 PM
:tup: Redwood Rd. expansion,approval expected within the month

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/228261/14/

I'm confused about the expansion of Redwood Road and the Mountain View Parkway. Won't they both essentially be in the same place going through that little valley just west of the point of the mountain? Is there a need for both? Obviously as you get further south (Saratoga Springs), and improvement to Redwood Road is necessary, but how far north with this propoposed improvement go? Does it end where it will intersect with the proposed MVP?

i-215
Jul 13, 2007, 7:15 PM
They need both because Redwood Road will eventually be filled with retail and tons of stop lights, so you'll probably average about 35 MPH on it when it's all built up.

I think UDOT is thinking that Redwood will flow nicely for 10-20 years until the Mountain View Corridor can be build that far south. The way funding is, it may be 20 years before it's finished.

delts145
Jul 13, 2007, 8:57 PM
I'm confused about the expansion of Redwood Road and the Mountain View Parkway. Won't they both essentially be in the same place going through that little valley just west of the point of the mountain? Is there a need for both? Obviously as you get further south (Saratoga Springs), and improvement to Redwood Road is necessary, but how far north with this propoposed improvement go? Does it end where it will intersect with the proposed MVP?

Dev, I don't know how many forumers have noticed this yet, but there is a huge bench area rising west of Redwood Rd.,that will soon be prime for future residential growth. It is a very gradual bench,right up to the top of the hill overlooking Cedar Valley on the other side. Its topography will be ideal for the Wasatch lust for prime bench locations. The views looking down on Thanksgiving Point, over to Utah Lake, Traverse Ridge and the Wasatch are phenomenal. It will accomodate a very large population and will soon be in demand. Infact, Eagle Mountain is already starting to encroach at the south end. Also like 215 said, Redwood road is slated as a prime commercial corridor as it is in Salt Lake Valley.

i-215
Jul 13, 2007, 9:22 PM

Another bench area? Cool! I never thought about it, but I'm sure there's been some good views from there, and it's probably more geographically sound than Suncrest!

Oh well, as long as they stay out of the way of the MVC, let 'em build as many homes as they like.

StevenF
Jul 13, 2007, 11:44 PM

Sorry didn't notice that this comment was from so long ago. But it is the way i see the differences.

I currently live in Logan and have lived in Spanish Fork and Taylorsville, so i have lived in most of Utah's metros. I would have to say that Logan as a city has a very small DT compared to Provo City. Driving down Main and having all the buildings on one side of the street, with a few along center and 1st west isn't much of a DT. The tallest building here is the Wells Fargo Building at 4 stories, not much to brag about. But before you say there are taller building in Logan i will say that yes there are a few up at USU, but i am discussing the Downtowns.

So to go along with the statement you asked if you have ever been to Logan i can say i have.

SLC Projects
Jul 14, 2007, 2:11 AM
I too have been to Logan. Not living there, but just visiting a few times. Logan is a nice small town with a nice main street feel. I like some of the older classic buildings there. :tup:

StevenF
Jul 14, 2007, 5:14 AM
just to set anything straight about what i think of Logan. I don't want anyone to think i hate it and it doesn't have any beauty. I was just comparing it to Provo.

Personally, i think for its size, Logan has a nice Downtown and as SLC Projects stated many classic buildings.

I will try and get some pictures taken soon and post them. I would have done so earlier but it has been to hot lately and my wife has been working so i would have to be toting my daughter around with me.

delts145
Jul 14, 2007, 3:04 PM

Another bench area? Cool! I never thought about it, but I'm sure there's been some good views from there, and it's probably more geographically sound than Suncrest!

Oh well, as long as they stay out of the way of the MVC, let 'em build as many homes as they like.

Hey 215, Yeah, that bench as a much different slope to it than Suncrest or say Sherwood Hills in Provo. Its more like some of the more gradual benches in East Salt Lake Valley. You know, I haven't taken the time to notice what the other side is like. I know that Cedar Valley has huge growth potential,"broad flat plain,with stunning mountain vistas."

Steven F., I too am a big fan of the Logan area. Infact, I don't think there is anyone on this forum who doesn't appreciate the beauty of that Valley. I'm a big fan of the many historical structures in the area. We also have friends up on the southeast end of the valley who have a large mink ranch. Always great to go up there. Man, those mink are ferocious little critters

delts145
Jul 20, 2007, 3:56 PM
Lehi

Mayor and town council at odds over future of Lehi's historic Main Street.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/228900/

Erector
Jul 20, 2007, 6:14 PM
Just read on the Daily Herald website, in the sports section on all places, that the Brandt Anderson project at the Point of the Mountain is supposed to break ground in the Summer of 2008. Be interested see if it actually moves forward. In another article regarding his basketball team, he said that he would like to have his team playing in the new arena by 2010.

SLC Projects
Jul 22, 2007, 10:57 PM
Just read on the Daily Herald website, in the sports section on all places, that the Brandt Anderson project at the Point of the Mountain is supposed to break ground in the Summer of 2008. Be interested see if it actually moves forward. In another article regarding his basketball team, he said that he would like to have his team playing in the new arena by 2010.

Cool. I was just driving right by that site today as the wife and I were coming back from Lake Powell. While passing by the site I was wondering just when we would hear an update on this project. :haha: Thanks for the update. Let hope it pulls though.

delts145
Jul 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7393/embassypleasantgroverensy4.jpg
Deseret Morning News

:banana: :banana: Groundbreaking set Aug.24 for Pleasant Grove hotel:banana: :banana:
The 13-story, 300-suite hotel will have a 40,000-square-foot ballroom, and the development will offer more than 120,000 square feet of meeting and convention space. It is expected to open in spring 2009.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695195695,00.html

SLC Projects
Jul 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8247/pg12storyhotelpv0.jpg
Deseret Morning News

:banana: :banana: Groundbreaking set Aug.24 for Pleasant Grove hotel:banana: :banana:
The 13-story, 300-suite hotel will have a 40,000-square-foot ballroom, and the development will offer more than 120,000 square feet of meeting and convention space. It is expected to open in spring 2009.

That's great news. But that rendering is the old one that was going to be the 12-story hotel. Here is the newer one with more floors.

SmilingBob
Jul 31, 2007, 7:22 PM
Deseret Morning News

From Utah Business magazine:
“More than 20 office and retail developments have started working with the city in anticipation of locating in The Grove,” said Mayor Daniels.

“Clearly, this area is living up to its reputation as Utah Valley’s $350 million intersection.”

Beyond the John Q. Hammons hotel and convention center, projects currently in development for The Grove will result in 500,000 square feet of retail space and an astounding one million square feet of Class A office space.

Ten of these projects anticipate breaking ground before the end of the year."

That's a lot of construction going on all at once. Ten developments plus the hotel/convention center.

poodledoodledude
Jul 31, 2007, 9:22 PM
i am beginning to wonder how this will affect downtown provo's ambitions for a nice set of highrises/convention space?

now that it is a reality, i hope it all pans out. downtown provo has a LOT of potential--let's hope it's not robbed of that by other developments sneaking in and taking away from that....

yes, i'm partial to downtown provo....(is it obvious in my above statement??) :yes:

BUT...i LOVE the fact we are getting more high rises here in our little state. way cool.....i just wish they were clustered together more...

am i crazy?? :koko:

a million square feet of class A office space is HUGE....can downtown provo get some of that >>?? let's hope so!

poodledoodledude

SmilingBob
Jul 31, 2007, 11:11 PM
i am beginning to wonder how this will affect downtown provo's ambitions for a nice set of highrises/convention space?

now that it is a reality, i hope it all pans out. downtown provo has a LOT of potential--let's hope it's not robbed of that by other developments sneaking in and taking away from that....

yes, i'm partial to downtown provo....(is it obvious in my above statement??) :yes:

BUT...i LOVE the fact we are getting more high rises here in our little state. way cool.....i just wish they were clustered together more...

am i crazy?? :koko:

a million square feet of class A office space is HUGE....can downtown provo get some of that >>?? let's hope so!

poodledoodledude

My debate is if you had a company that needed 40,000+ square feet of space, where do want to locate it? Do you want to be downtown and have to deal with parking? or close to the freeway in an office park with acres of parking?

SLC has shown that you have a mixture of both, but I'm not so sure Provo or Utah Valley has that same mix. I've had businesses in both markets and they are very different.

As with most developments you need that big fish to lease a big chunk of space in the development and finding one to build 10-15 story buildings is difficult. Most projects don't get the go ahead unless someone is putting a lot of their own money up or the building is 50-60% leased before construction starts.

With the higher price per square foot would you locate in an office tower, and spend $300,000 more per year for it?

I hope that Provo can put together a good mix of tenants to build the towers that are rumored to be going up.

delts145
Aug 1, 2007, 11:51 AM
Pleasant Grove is a great location as say a, "Utah Valley unto itself locale". It pretty much is the heart of the population base of Northern and Central Utah Valley right now, and is still close enough to So. Salt Lake Valley to be an option. Utah Valley is growing so rapidly, and with no signs of letting up in the forseeable future, that I'm not too worried about Provo taking a nose dive in development. As the growth trends of Southern Ut. Valley picks up to match the Northern trend, we will see Provo's influence increase over-all.
As the future Utah Valley goes, think of Provo as the southern hub,Pleasant Grove as the central hub, and Lehi,(Thanksgiving Point) as the northern hub. I think it is pretty well set that these three areas will be the main commercial cores in the near future. For the long haul futher off, I would envision another focal point developing around Spanish Fork/ Payson, and Eagle Mountain/Cedar Valley as a western core.

Erector
Aug 1, 2007, 3:30 PM
Utah Business update. Actual article comes out next month.

http://www.utahbusiness.com/parser.php?nav=email_article&article_id=6045[/URL]

SLCforme
Aug 1, 2007, 4:40 PM
I personally like the design of the shorter hotel, it's much more interesting. I think delts is right that PG (I grew up there so I have to call it that according to convention) will be a central valley buisness hub, even though it's sort of sad for me to see my little quiet hometown where I used to ride my bike to Nortons or the Purple Turtle for snacks become a big town dominated by chain stores and office parks. :(

Wasatch_One
Aug 1, 2007, 5:17 PM

...I lived in PG during my elementary years as well... SLCforme did you ever cruise on over to V&S Variety... haha, I bought all my baseball cards there in the late 80's

As for this area around Pleasant Grove, its poised to become like the Cottonwood/I-215 SE bend office area in SL County.

All of the office space will probably just be low-rise, 3-4 story buildings. I think Provo will see the lions share of actual mid and high-rises, however.

...at the end of the day, as much as I like to see growth in Utah County on it inevitable pursuit of surpassing SL County in population, all of these projects are contributing to sprawl... (sigh)

i-215
Aug 1, 2007, 8:16 PM
That's great news. But that rendering is the old one that was going to be the 12-story hotel. Here is the newer one with more floors.

For some reason the rendering reminds me of the Hilton in Las Vegas. I like the layout. Sure, it's turning Utah Valley in the O.C. ... but it's just too cool of a building to pass up. :tup:

jedikermit
Aug 1, 2007, 8:46 PM
As the future Utah Valley goes, think of Provo as the southern hub,Pleasant Grove as the central hub, and Lehi,(Thanksgiving Point) as the northern hub. I think it is pretty well set that these three areas will be the main commercial cores in the near future. For the long haul futher off, I would envision another focal point developing around Spanish Fork/ Payson, and Eagle Mountain/Cedar Valley as a western core.

So...sprawly.

SLCforme
Aug 1, 2007, 9:05 PM
hey wasatch,
I used to go to V&S! :haha: I had totally forgotten about that one until you just mentioned it. Good times. I started getting my baseball cards from a little place about a block or two south from there, can't remember the name though. I spent way too much money there. :D

SLC Projects
Aug 1, 2007, 9:54 PM
Utah Business update. Actual article comes out next month.

http://www.utahbusiness.com/parser.php?nav=email_article&article_id=6045[/URL]

The link didn't work for me. :( What is the story about?

Erector
Aug 2, 2007, 2:17 AM
In a nutshell, it is a roundtable discussion with Utah County governement leaders, developers, and local businessmen discussing the temporary downturn in single family housing, but an extremly optimistic next couple of years for commercial, and mix-used construction. Several updates on many large scale projects are given in the actual article, but not in the daily update that I receive. It mentions the Grove, Thanksgiving Point, Downtown Provo, Orem, and Spanish Fork, but again nothing real specific at this time. It was pretty much just a general teaser for the September issue, but I found it exciting nontheless.

StevenF
Aug 2, 2007, 2:38 AM
What did it say about Spanish Fork?

delts145
Aug 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
Lehi's IM Flash bustling - and aiming to expand

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695196959,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/4423522.jpg
Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News
IM Flash Technologies analytical chemists Gabrielle Holladay, left, and Larry Weston are among the Lehi facility's 1,464 employees.

Erector
Aug 2, 2007, 3:58 PM
Unfortunately StevenF, in the update no particular project was named, just the location of the future projects. When the read comes out next month I am sure it will be more specific on what the project will be.

PhxSprawler
Aug 2, 2007, 10:25 PM
For some reason the rendering reminds me of the Hilton in Las Vegas. I like the layout. Sure, it's turning Utah Valley in the O.C. ... but it's just too cool of a building to pass up. :tup:

I hope you are using the O.C. reference to equate to sprawl... The comparison doesn't translate in any other way.

Is it just me, or could the hotel have been built in 1960? I am already excited to see it torn down in 50 or 60 years to be replaced with something more up to date, like from the 2007 era. I would rather see the mountains than this hotel. :yuck:

Wasatch_One
Aug 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
...yeah, its almost as bad as the new Phoenix Sheraton! ;)

i-215
Aug 2, 2007, 11:22 PM
I hope you are using the O.C. reference to equate to sprawl... The comparison doesn't translate in any other way.

Is it just me, or could the hotel have been built in 1960? I am already excited to see it torn down in 50 or 60 years to be replaced with something more up to date, like from the 2007 era. I would rather see the mountains than this hotel. :yuck:

Well, I certainly don't mean the culture. :cool: ;)

delts145
Aug 3, 2007, 3:03 AM

C'mon, hopefully it will turn out a lot better than that. ;)

PhxSprawler
Aug 3, 2007, 4:03 PM

Have to agree with you there! I do like the shorter version better. Maybe the hotel will be better than its rendering.

delts145
Aug 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
'The Grove' is booming, blooming
Development transforms quiet Utah County city

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_6545609

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2007/0804/20070804__biz_pgdevelopment_0805~1_Gallery.jpg
An artist's concept shows the 13-story, 300-suite hotel and adjoining convention center planned at the Pleasant Grove Interstate 15 interchange. (Courtesy of Publicis Consultants )

http://deseretnews.com/photos/2628127.jpg
Sundance Commons in Pleasant Grove will spread over 105 acres.

SLC Projects
Aug 5, 2007, 3:09 PM
"Every month, between now and December, there will be three major groundbreakings," Daniels said.

Damn that's alot of projects. That's about 15 major groundbreakings for 15 major projects in P.G. alone by year's end. That' crazy. :cheers:

delts145
Aug 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
Pleasant Grove breaks ground for rec center

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695197758,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/4430267.jpg
Laura Seitz, Deseret Morning News
Rendering of Pleasant Grove's new $5 million recreation center.

shrubber
Aug 7, 2007, 1:14 PM
Tomorrow afternoon (August 8) there is going to be a presentation for the Lehi Planning Commission and Lehi City Council at Thanksgiving point about the Frank Ghery project near the point of the mountain. Frank Ghery will be in attendance. Because it's a meeting of the council, it had to be posted publicly (posted on the www.lehicity.com website), but they have been trying to keep it as secret as possible.

My guess is that this will probably be a presentation of more detailed designs and plans for what will be done. Brandt Anderson was recently quoted in a Herald article that they expect to begin construction next summer. I'll post more information as it becomes available.