PDA

View Full Version : S.Bend: New Highrise Sports Condo

Halovet
Oct 5, 2006, 7:26 AM
Update:
This Project was first announced last year. An Agreement was reached a few months back, but evidently, word never got out to everyone. The site is shovel ready, but movement is slow. :rolleyes:

Agreement Reached to Develop New Sports Condominiums

4/24/2006 9:40:34 AM
South Bend Officials and Gameday Centers have reached an agreement for the development of the new Gameday Center Condominium/Hotel and Parking Garage.

The 12-story, $40 million structure will be adjacent to the College Football Hall of Fame and across the street from the Century Center Convention Center. Developers will mainly market the condos to University of Notre Dame sports fans.
http://66.155.123.43/images/image002_000.jpg

Source: Inside INdiana Business

Press Release

Mayor Stephen J. Luecke, Gary Spillers, CEO of Gameday Centers, and the South Bend Redevelopment Commission today announced that an agreement has been reached between the City and Gameday Centers for the development of the new Gameday Center Condominium/Hotel and Parking Garage, to be located at the corner of St. Joseph St. and Jefferson Blvd. in downtown.

"It is with great excitement and expectations that Gameday Centers comes to the bastion of college football, South Bend, Indiana, the home of the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the College Football Hall of Fame," said Gary Spillers. "We are very excited to bring Gameday to South Bend, not just for Notre Dame fans, but for our community as well," stated Mayor Steve Luecke. "This project brings approximately $40 million in private investment to South Bend and is exactly the type of unique product that helps South Bend continue to be the regional center for development in our area. The 12-story structure will also be an impressive addition to the downtown skyline."

"Gameday builds its highly regarded real estate developments close to major college football venues and entertainment districts, and such will be the case in downtown South Bend, where we plan to erect one of our most exciting designs yet, adjacent to the College Football Hall of Fame and across the street from the Century Center Convention Center," announced Gary Spillers, CEO of Gameday Centers. "Our marketing efforts will seek out Notre Dame's sports teams' season ticket holders as the target market for these luxury sports condominiums, but this development is an attractive investment not only for sports fans, but the savvy investor as well."

Gameday expects to begin construction in mid to late summer on a twelve story building with a public/private parking garage on the first six levels and 150 luxury condominiums on the top six. In addition, there will be 12,000 sq. ft. of retail space available on the ground floor.

FLOOR PLANS:
http://66.155.123.43/images/ND-Floorplan-1-br-715.gif
http://66.155.123.43/images/ND-Floorplans-2br-1040.gif
http://66.155.123.43/images/ND-Floorplans-3br-cor-del.gif

Suites will range in price from the $180's through $1 million, and will have all of the amenities necessary to enhance the "Gameday" experience, with 7-days-a-week concierge-style management and an optional rental program for owners, which is anticipated to help provide an additional 100 hotel rooms in the downtown area. When construction is complete, owners and guests alike will enjoy the advantages of easy access to the Notre Dame campus, Century Center, and some of the best entertainment and restaurant venues that South Bend has to offer. It is anticipated that construction will completed in time for the 2007 Notre Dame football season.

Gameday Centers has a proven track record of resales and management that has been outstanding at each facility they operate, and each Gameday development has been virtually "sold out" before completion.

Source: South Bend Mayor Stephen Luecke's Office

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://66.155.123.43/images/ND-Elevations02.gif&imgrefurl=http://66.155.123.43/GDC_SouthBend.cfm&h=524&w=700&sz=122&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=_OwmJZV-SiwGmM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhall%2Bof%2Bfame%2Bgameday%2Bcenter%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

cwilson758
Oct 13, 2006, 4:05 PM
Nice! I like it a lot. This is a great project for South Bend!

ppassafi
Oct 16, 2006, 5:15 AM
^^^ I wouldnt get too excited about this. That company purchased a building in Louisville across from UofL's football stadium and sat on it for two years and never built. Now another company is supposed to develop the site.

Connect
Nov 14, 2006, 6:55 AM
100 extra hotel rooms downtown is a good idea for. I'd be curious to see how many non-notre dame people buy these. After all this will be a New product in the SB market.

Halovet
Dec 16, 2006, 12:37 PM
^^^ I wouldnt get too excited about this. That company purchased a building in Louisville across from UofL's football stadium and sat on it for two years and never built. Now another company is supposed to develop the site. Often times a Developer wants a
certain percentage (usually 40%) condos sold before they commit to build. Perhaps they never made that mark in Louisville. I'm guessing ND alums tend to be more affluent that many others, thinking finance would not be much of an issue. Still, there has not been much activity on the site. Of course, the project was announced in April, and that's relatively soon. I'm a tad bit concerned, but there's still lots of time before any thoughts of panic should go forward.

If anyone gets any update info, feel free to post it. :shrug:

Halovet
Dec 16, 2006, 1:17 PM
There is a video clip at the GAMEDAY web site I did not see before.

http://66.155.123.43/GDC_SouthBend.cfm

Halovet
Mar 7, 2007, 9:11 AM
This update should have been posted in FEB. Sorry, Still, good to see some movement.:yes:

February 03. 2007 6:59AM

Condo-hotel work may begin in August, developer announces

Company says plans are going smoothly to build Gameday Center.:banana: :banana:

Tribune Staff Report

SOUTH BEND -- Representatives from Gameday Centers were in South Bend on Friday to give an update to city staff on the Hall of Fame Gameday Center project.

Brad Pager, the new president of Gameday, said he expects construction on the approximately 189-unit condominium and hotel to begin this August. The structure also will have a parking garage and first-floor retail space.

Pager said more than 70 people already have put down $5,000 deposits expressing interest in buying units. The units will be fully furnished, and owners have the option of putting the units into a rental program when not being used.

The facility will be run like a full-service luxury hotel, with maintenance and housekeeping.

Although the condo-hotel is marketed with the college football season in mind, Pager stressed that the company relies on the overall success of the city year-round. Gameday properties in other cities have a diverse set of owners who are interested in having a city experience with a wide range of opportunities separate from sports, he said.

"It is a draw that Notre Dame is here, but believe me, part of our evaluation is directly related to how we feel about the future of South Bend, and we are counting on that," Pager said.

The cooperation and support the company has received from the city administration and staff has been great, Pager said. In his 20 years as a developer, Pager said, he has never worked with a city in which a mayor has called him back personally to answer his questions.

Mayor Stephen Luecke said the project will bring great synergy downtown and hopes that many people will make the Gameday Center their second home.

hoosier
Mar 7, 2007, 7:25 PM
Great news for South Bend!!

This project, combined with the ballpark/hotel proposal in Ft. Wayne shows that Indiana's mid-major cities are getting in on the downtown development action!!

I want all of Indiana's major cities to have nice, vibrant downtowns!

Halovet
Mar 8, 2007, 6:20 AM
Great news for South Bend!!

This project, combined with the ballpark/hotel proposal in Ft. Wayne shows that Indiana's mid-major cities are getting in on the downtown development action!!

I want all of Indiana's major cities to have nice, vibrant downtowns!
Me too Pal!:yes:

Anyway, The GameDay Condo will be located right in front of the brown building in the center (Sherland Building) which sits back a bit farther than it appears, as it is one block up. The proposed site is a cement lot. The Condo will be 4 stories taller than The Sherland also. Should have more of a presence on the skyline .:yes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Downtown_South_Bend_Indiana_02.jpg/800px-Downtown_South_Bend_Indiana_02.jpg

Hysteria
Mar 8, 2007, 5:09 PM
Anyway, The GameDay Condo will be located right in front of the brown building in the center (Sherland Building) which sits back a bit farther than it appears, as it is one block up. The proposed site is a cement lot. The Condo will be 4 stories taller than The Sherland also. Should have more of a presence on the skyline

Don't you think the Sherland Building looks stupid now that they've painted red stripes on the front? I can't believe they did that.

Halovet
Mar 22, 2007, 6:40 PM
Don't you think the Sherland Building looks stupid now that they've painted red stripes on the front? I can't believe they did that. Yeah, you're right. Many Urban Planning jobs are political appointments. We would get much better results if qualified people had these jobs. OH WELL!:shrug:

Halovet
Mar 26, 2007, 8:54 AM
Another planned Condo in DTSB. They sure take their time releasing info to the web! Wish I had larger renderings. Anyway, sense the project is basicly in the same block as The GameDay Center, I didn't see a need for a "All American Place" Forum.:shrug:

Downtown South Bend Condo, Retail Development Moves Forward
InsideINdianaBusiness.com Report

12/18/2006 10:01:07 AM

Michigan Street, LLC has presented the South Bend Redevelopment Commission with finalized plans for a more than $9 million, mixed-use condominium development in downtown. The All American Plaza will incorporate the renovation of the historic American Bank & Trust Building and will include condominiums, retail and office space. Construction on the first retail storefront, the All-American Newsstand is already underway and is slated to open next month.
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/images/news/southbendstreetlevel.jpg
Source: Inside INdiana Business

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/images/news/southbendaerial.jpg

Press Release

South Bend, Indiana - Mike Wargo and Brad Toothaker, principals of Michigan Street, LLC, presented the South Bend Redevelopment Commission finalized plans for a new mixed-use condominium development, All American Plaza, proposed to cover half of a city block in the heart of downtown South Bend. Partnering with the City of South Bend, the development will incorporate a renovation of the historic American Bank & Trust Building at 101 North Michigan Street as a signature first phase of development. The project is anticipated to bring 55,000 sq. ft. of modern retail, office and residential condominiums, off-street parking and green space to one of South Bend’s busiest intersections. Construction of the first new retail storefront, the All-American Newsstand, is already underway and is set to open next month.

South Bend continues to grow as the regional center for business, health, education, arts and culture. “This is another exciting project for the heart of downtown and is a wonderful example of the direction that the City is taking in creating a thriving, new mix for our downtown environment,” said Mayor Luecke. “We are pleased to partner with Mike, Brad, and Michigan Street, LLC and know that All American Plaza will be a perfect complement to the array of new and expanding businesses and venues that make South Bend a great place to work, play, visit, and live downtown.”

“After decades of trying to figure out new uses and solutions to the underutilized Bank building, it is very exciting to see this public-private partnership happen,” said Todd Zeiger, Director of the Northern Regional Office of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. “The building anchors the central intersection of the downtown, making it a landmark in all aspects of the word. The first floor changes have obscured the original classical beauty of the building’s design, and the demolition of the adjoining building in the 1960’s left this building stranded. It will be wonderful to have the original windows restored on the ground floor, in the upper floors again and some new infill to unite this building with the rest of the block once again.”

The City of South Bend Redevelopment Commission will acquire an easement on the historic façade and will contract with Architecture Design Group to design and direct its restoration. The developers intend to apply for Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits for 20% of the balance of construction costs for Phase I, and will be able to carry over this economic benefit to the new construction of Phase II.

“The foresight and patience of past Redevelopment Commissions in acquiring and holding the property to the north to support the rehab of 101 has enabled this larger vision to come about,” said Marcia Jones, president of the Redevelopment Commission. “We are pleased to be able to accept this proposal today and look forward to partnering with this dynamic team of developers to realize the potential of this building and prime site in downtown.”

"Our city officials and the staff of the Redevelopment Commission have been wonderful to work with throughout this venture,” Mike Wargo said. “Their enthusiasm and excitement for the project has been apparent since we started the planning process.”

"I believe that downtown South Bend is reaching a critical tipping point,” Wargo continued. “The fact that there will be three significant developments (Game Day Condominiums, All American Plaza and the South Bend Chocolate Cafe's expansion) occurring simultaneously, within a one block radius of each other, is reminiscent of the growth downtown South Bend experienced in the early 20th Century. We are excited and very proud to have the opportunity to be part of it."

Source: City of South Bend

Hysteria
Mar 26, 2007, 2:46 PM
Another planned Condo in DTSB. They sure take their time releasing info to the web!

If only they would have spent more timing looking for a better architect. This is pretty disappointing.

hoosier
Mar 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
Looks like downtown South Bend is booming. This is great!

Halovet
Apr 2, 2007, 9:21 PM
If only they would have spent more timing looking for a better architect. This is pretty disappointing.Things could REALLY be going forward if there were better qualified folks in the planning Dept. Most appointments are believed to be politically motivated.

BnaBreaker
Apr 3, 2007, 6:42 PM
^^Yeah, I've worked in that department before and it seems more than a bit disorganized.

In anycase, as far as new development is concerned, there is that great looking building on the east bank that (i think) is a part of the Madison Center. It looks great to me, and it has street-level retail. Also, there is something going in behind it, but i'm not sure what it is yet.

Halovet
Apr 8, 2007, 9:33 AM
More News, Within the same block as the Condo. The GameDay Project seems to be sparking additional development around it!:tup:

KeyBank Building in Downtown South Bend to Undergo Major Renovation

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=22616

James2390
May 3, 2007, 3:32 AM
Don't you think the Sherland Building looks stupid now that they've painted red stripes on the front? I can't believe they did that.

I agree that it looks very stupid.

I'm excited about the Gameday project. I'd love to see a new taller building built, though. Something to rival the Chase Tower, with maybe hotel, residential and a couple office floors. It's a bit far fetched but it's always fun to think.

Hysteria
May 4, 2007, 3:46 AM
Things could REALLY be going forward if there were better qualified folks in the planning Dept. Most appointments are believed to be politically motivated.

You're right. I'd rather look out my office window and see the crumbling backside of the JMS Building than this. It reminds me of the 'corporate office' of any given trailer factory in Elkhart.

Halovet
May 27, 2007, 8:38 AM
You're right. I'd rather look out my office window and see the crumbling backside of the JMS Building than this. It reminds me of the 'corporate office' of any given trailer factory in Elkhart.Indeed! They are so small minded. The city should spend a few bucks, and recruit talent from Indy, if they don't want to bring in people from across the US.

Halovet
May 29, 2007, 8:44 AM
:offtopic:
Not Downtown, but an interesting development none the less.:shrug:

http://www.condohotelcenter.com/alerts/waterford.htm

Halovet
Jun 24, 2007, 11:11 PM
This is the latest news reguarding a similar project in Northgate, TX. No reason was given why GAMEDAY pulled out. Could SB be next?:shrug: The TX project was hyped up in much the same manner as The SB project and the building plans were similar. I'ts starting to look like this may not happen. :whatthefuck:

http://66.155.123.43/images/hdr_Photo_home.gif

Gameday Condo Project on Hold

Gameday condominiums, a Northgate area project has been put on hold. Atlanta based Gameday Centers, who have done many college condos before has pulled out. The project was going to cost a cool $20 million dollars with the efficiency condos selling for up to $350 a square foot for sale.

Gameday Centers, in the past, has developed similar luxury sports condos near uiversities in Auburn Al, Tuscaloosa Al, Athens, Ga, and Tallahassee Fl.

Another investment company is looking at the feasability of taking over the project currently.

As a side note, we often get many developers coming into town that have developed other complexes in other cities, that seem to think if they've seen one college area they've seen them all. Considering how low our real estate is compared to the rest of the nation, one can't help but wonder if this isn't the market that will prove to them that not all college markets are the same.

Halovet
Jul 22, 2007, 4:01 AM
July 21, 2007

Second hotel developer eyes downtown

Gameday still working with city on condo-hotel project, mayor says.

JAMIE LOO
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- Another developer is looking at the Gameday Centers site at St.
Joseph Street and Jefferson Boulevard, with the possibility that two hotel
developments will happen downtown, according to Mayor Stephen Luecke.

In a progress report to the Redevelopment Commission Friday, Luecke said Gameday
has new partners in the project, including a new equity investor. He said more
information will be presented at the next commission meeting.

"They are aware it is time to move this project forward and that they need to be
making additional progress," Luecke said.

The condominium-hotel project, approved in April 2006, was originally to break
ground in summer 2006 and be ready for the 2007-08 University of Notre Dame
football season. The last time an update was given to the Redevelopment
Commission in February, Gameday officials said construction would begin next
month.

The city also has been in discussions with REI Investments to build a hotel
downtown. Luecke said REI's "preferred site" is the Gameday project site, across
from the College Football Hall of Fame.

"We are currently working parallel paths both with Gameday and with REI on this
site, to see what can move forward best for that site," he said. "We are also
talking to both developers about alternate sites so there's a possibility the
two developments could work together on one site or a possibility that we could
eventually have two projects downtown."

Mike Wells, REI Investments Inc. president, showed the commission drawings of
what REI could do if the St. Joseph and Jefferson site became available. The
proposed layout would allow for a 175- to 200-room, 10-story hotel with about
225 parking spaces, he said.

REI has experience developing hotels and recently completed a Hilton Garden Inn
in Bloomington. Wells said their focus in South Bend would be on business
travelers and conventioneers.

Wells said they are partnering with White Lodging Services, which also is
developing the SpringHill Suites and Marriott in the future Eddy Street Commons
project. He said REI will conduct studies to make sure whichever hotel comes to
South Bend matches the market.

Downtown is ready for another hotel, Wells said, and REI could move quickly if
the opportunity becomes available on the site. An agreement could be drawn up in
a few weeks with construction beginning next spring, he said.

Luecke said having another downtown hotel has been discussed for several years
and he is excited that REI is eager to move forward quickly. :fingerscrossed: :shuffle:

Staff writer Jamie Loo:
jloo@sbtinfo.com
(574) 235-6337

James2390
Jul 24, 2007, 7:36 AM
Great news! If it's 10 stories plus the parking that could result in a niced sized tower, assuming that the parking isn't totaled in.

Halovet
Jul 24, 2007, 5:38 PM
Great news! If it's 10 stories plus the parking that could result in a niced sized tower, assuming that the parking isn't totaled in.I'd like to see something 15 stories or higher, but from the pace things are going, we'll take ten. Heck, they never replaced The Odd Fellows Bldg on the Skyline. They own us at least that much.

Halovet
Apr 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
It;s been a while. Hard to tell whats up with this project. The GameDay web site has a S> Bend project page. That wasen't there before, so it seems it's still a go!?:shrug:

http://www.halloffamegamedaycenter.com/