PDA

View Full Version : BUFFALO | Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

BANKofMANHATTAN
Nov 17, 2006, 5:28 PM
Bank- someone anonymously sent your fantasy Dulski rendering into BRising saying they snuck the plan out of Uniland's office. Luckily they asked if it was the real deal or not and we prevented some embarrassment!

Hah, that's funny man! :haha:

...Yeah, and I snuck the Batmobile out for a ride last night! :sly:

chevy064
Nov 17, 2006, 5:31 PM
http://projectbuffalo.com/images/bank_dulski.jpg

That is frinkin' cool :worship:

I wish that were the real deal - I like the added hight!

Rue B
Nov 17, 2006, 5:54 PM
http://projectbuffalo.com/images/bank_dulski.jpg

I LIKE!!! :tup:

homestar
Nov 18, 2006, 4:05 AM
you should send that to the developer for inspiration and tell them we are expecting to be "wowed", and if they come up with something lame we'll threaten to "get all Don Apparel on their Ass".

That'll scare em.

;)

Halovet
Nov 18, 2006, 1:22 PM
lol. What we really need to do is sneak that rendering INTO Uniland so THEY can do it :worship:No need to sneak, it's already there. Think about it. In order for BRising to check it out, a copy of Bank's Rendering would most likely be faxed to Uniland. Indeed the right people have it, now it all depends on how much they are willing to spend on the project, and if they fear any legal action from "Da Bankster". Im thinking there is no legal problem if they wanted to "use" some of those ideals, but Im suspecting they would want to go cheap as possible. I hope not, but maybe we'll be surprised. Maybe they will want to find out who did this, and set up an interview?:fingerscrossed: :dancing:

Sulley
Nov 19, 2006, 8:02 PM
No offense, Manhattan, but I'm glad it's not their plan. It's a bit um, too "overdone" for my tastes.

I love your skyline renderings though!

BANKofMANHATTAN
Nov 20, 2006, 4:20 PM
No offense, Manhattan, but I'm glad it's not their plan. It's a bit um, too "overdone" for my tastes.

I love your skyline renderings though!

You know, your right Sulley - looking back, this was such a spur of the idea, it actually does feel a bit overdone to me now...it's a bit skewed too.

:haha:

it's all in good fun -

I do hope they come up with something atractive, none the less though...

No offense taken, thanks for your criticism!

homestar
Nov 20, 2006, 6:03 PM
IMO buffalo could use a couple overdone designs. It will get watered down by the time it's built anyway.

Halovet
Nov 20, 2006, 6:15 PM
IMO buffalo could use a couple overdone designs. It will get watered down by the time it's built anyway.Over done my ass. Thats right Homestar, not much imagination coming from Buffalo developers these days except Issa's team. Palidino? Please! To much is cheaply done and boring. Stick with it BANKofMANHATTAN, somebody's watching you, wait and see.:yes:

BANKofMANHATTAN
Nov 20, 2006, 6:52 PM
Over done my ass. Thats right Homestar, not much imagination coming from Buffalo developers these days except Issa's team. Palidino? Please! To much is cheaply done and boring. Stick with it BANKofMANHATTAN, somebody's watching you, wait and see.:yes:

:tup: thanks Hal!

Buffalo needs something alright...that's for sure. :yes:

westcoastperspective
Nov 21, 2006, 3:27 AM
Plans in the works for the 500 Block

Bob Shibley from UB and Buffalo Place are working with the owners of the properties on the 500 block about doing a joint-venture development. The buildings would be linked together (think Granite Works). Both Main Street and Washington St. properties would be involved, plus development of the Century Theater site/parking lot (behind the old Burger King). CityView Development is potentially taking the lead. They'll be using the $15 million in CPC money that was announced a few months ago. This is just in the early stages, but looks promising.

believeinbflo
Nov 21, 2006, 5:40 AM
Plans in the works for the 500 Block

Bob Shibley from UB and Buffalo Place are working with the owners of the properties on the 500 block about doing a joint-venture development. The buildings would be linked together (think Granite Works). Both Main Street and Washington St. properties would be involved, plus development of the Century Theater site/parking lot (behind the old Burger King). CityView Development is potentially taking the lead. They'll be using the $15 million in CPC money that was announced a few months ago. This is just in the early stages, but looks promising.

Wait, does that mean the Burger King is being developed? That building to me is always a wake up call that downtown still has a while to go.

westcoastperspective
Nov 21, 2006, 5:53 AM
Wait, does that mean the Burger King is being developed? That building to me is always a wake up call that downtown still has a while to go.

As of now, no. One of the downtown developers looked into making an offer on the property but the owner wouldn't budge on price and the developer walked. I don't know what it is listed at, but the land has to be worth more than that ugly brick box. Eminent domain anyone? :tup:

Halovet
Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
As of now, no. One of the downtown developers looked into making an offer on the property but the owner wouldn't budge on price and the developer walked. I don't know what it is listed at, but the land has to be worth more than that ugly brick box. Eminent domain anyone? :tup:Or, they could do like in the days of Mayor "Gangster Frank" Sedita (60s). A few goombas take him for a ride out to Shelinguski Meats, and make him an offer he can't refuse. I mean, I always wondered about the "meat" in the sauce at Chef's!?:deal::lmao:

mrussell83
Nov 21, 2006, 5:29 PM
We were on CNN this morning:
http://projectbuffalo.com/images/DSC01808.jpg

Sulley
Nov 21, 2006, 6:42 PM
I Wanna Move To Youngstown!!!

:d

westcoastperspective
Nov 21, 2006, 6:46 PM
23 North going residential, 35-40 units by First Amherst Development:

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/3874/23northlf2.jpg

Details here:

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/archives/2006/11/another_granite_works.php

And Statler reno. plans presented at Planning Board this morning, details here:

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/archives/2006/11/more_details_on_statler_r.php#commentsall

sullymon54
Nov 21, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'm kinda shocked indy made that list, the others are all post industrial rustbelt cities, Indy, to me, doesn't seem to fit that profile.

Halovet
Nov 21, 2006, 11:21 PM
This project needs to happen!:yes:

Brown backs Giambra on ECC growth

Expansion sought as city "wow' factor

By JAY REY and PHIL FAIRBANKS
News Staff Reporters
11/21/2006

"I favor this project, because it would infuse greater energy, excitement and activity in the city's downtown core. I believe this is the right time for this type of expansion." Mayor Byron W. Brown

Erie County Executive Joel A. Giambra has a new ally in his push for a bigger, better Erie Community College downtown.
Mayor Byron W. Brown joined Giambra at a news conference Monday to show his support for a $45 million project that would add a new academic building and more students to ECC's downtown campus.

"Imagine the impact that would have on the continuing development in and around downtown Buffalo," Brown said Monday at the City Campus. "I favor this project, because it would infuse greater energy, excitement and activity in the city's downtown core. I believe this is the right time for this type of expansion."

Money is the issue.

Giambra submitted to the County Legislature a $60 million capital budget for next year, $15 million of which would be set aside for the ECC proposal, a Giambra pet project.

Several legislators, especially those from Buffalo, like the notion of an expanded downtown campus but wonder if the county can afford it at this time. Legislators also want to reduce Giambra's $60 million capital budget, a plan they consider far too costly.

"We're in such austere times," said Legislature Chairwoman Lynn M. Marinelli, D-Town of Tonawanda. "We need to restrain ourselves."

Marinelli wants lawmakers to consider a new approach to capital budgeting. She wants them to approve an amount - her recommendation is $45 million - and decide later how to spend it.

That would give lawmakers more time to evaluate the ECC project, she said, and decide once and for all if it's worth a $15 million investment by the county.

Some members of the ECC board of trustees are concerned that a new building will mean more costs, but the college won't receive additional operating funds from the county.

"I don't think anyone is opposed to some downtown improvements," said ECC Chairman Raymond F. Gallagher, "but at the same time we have to talk about our future financial assistance from the county."

Giambra for several years has pressed for expanding the City Campus, the first phase being a 200,000-square-foot academic building at the site of the former Great Lakes Collections headquarters, property now owned by the county and bounded by South Division, Oak, North Division and Elm streets.

The college would relocate staff and its health, dental and public safety programs to the new building, growing the student population downtown, Giambra said.

The $15 million in county money could trigger matching state funds, Giambra said, while there's an available $10 million in state money that was allocated for ECC but never spent. There's also $1 million previously secured by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton that could be used for the project, Giambra said.

Long-term plans include privately developed student housing and retail stores around the downtown campus, but Giambra said the academic building is the linchpin.

Giambra, joined at the afternoon news conference by outgoing ECC President William J. Mariani, envisions students coming from out of the area, even out of state, to attend this expanded downtown campus he refers to as "ECC Wow."

"The "wow' campus is going to be in downtown Buffalo," Giambra said. "That's where the action is going to be."

e-mail: jrey@buffnews.com
and pfairbanks@buffnews.com

Sulley
Nov 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
BTW, I wonder if our "affordable" housing ranking takes taxes into account? Probablo not!

Sgt. Sabre
Nov 22, 2006, 1:24 AM
The rates are high, yes. But I also no longer have to pay $450/yr just to register my car, among other things.

Still higher than average, but I think alot of the "sticker shock" is offset by alot of things people don't realize.

Sulley
Nov 22, 2006, 4:06 AM
Yeah, but coming from the state that's #48 in the nation for tax burden, it's a shock to me. lol

The big shocker is the gas tax - I just read in USA Today on the plane last night that NYS has the highest at 60.1 cents per gallon. Down here it's about 28 cents.

I wish NYS would do a grand experiment - cut taxes and see how it affects growth. We can dream, right?

buffalo716
Nov 22, 2006, 4:43 AM
We were on CNN this morning:
http://projectbuffalo.com/images/DSC01808.jpg

Oh Jesus...a list no city wants to be on, a list with Detroit and Youngstown. Anyways, I hate to be a pessimist (that's Sully's job :) ), but the City of Buffalo housing market is realllllly cold right now. Houses are staying on the market for many many months and people I know are losing money on their houses...I'm even a little nervous about possibly buying a recently renovated house in the west village (even with all the neat projects in the area going on).

[this is bjfan82 btw incase anyone was wondering]

buffalo716
Nov 22, 2006, 4:45 AM
I wish NYS would do a grand experiment - cut taxes and see how it affects growth. We can dream, right?

That would mean that our state can't fund amazingly productive, efficient, and quality social programs. God, I want the state to cut the taxes to like zero, that would be great, I'm so f**king sick of paying for these programs, blah.

Sulley
Nov 22, 2006, 4:56 AM
You're right! Our state government is so efficient, especially with our lean, non-unionized workforce :D

STERNyc
Nov 22, 2006, 5:35 AM
I think a good way to spur growth and development in Buffalo would be to lower commercial taxes to near zero levels. NYC often gives large tax breaks to companies who threaten to leave the city. Lowering commercial taxes across the board will entice companies to move here without the need to haggle for subsidies. A large part of NYC's wealth comes from housing taxes. People move where the jobs are. Since Buffalo's economic base is no longer reliant on commerce, I think lowering commercial taxes will do more good than harm.

Also I don't have a big problem with the construction of this 10 storey parking garage. The first three floors will still have a street presence and there will be retail. Also Buffalo will always be a car city so this piece of infastructure will hopefully bring more people downtown.

mrussell83
Nov 23, 2006, 5:10 PM
I'm in Baltimore for the week.... It's so depressing to see all the develpoment here.

Downtown Bolivar
Nov 23, 2006, 5:49 PM
Hey I'll be in Baltimore on Saturday! I'm taking my family to the inner harbor--haven't been there before. We're in the Wilmington, DE metro for the week.

Have the Statler restoration plans been posted here yet? They're on BRO--pretty cool!

Rue B
Nov 24, 2006, 4:21 PM
Here's a good sign on the Statler Project moving forward, Issa's group has awarded a contract to rehab the elevators in the building to a Niagara County company.

Lewiston company to repair Statler elevators
Business First of Buffalo - 8:47 AM EST Friday

The new owners of the Statler Towers building in downtown Buffalo have taken a giant step forward with one of the most pressing issues relating to the restoration of the faded, historic landmark.

BSC Development Group, the Manchester, England-based owners of the former hotel-turned-office building have awarded an elevator repair contract. Elevator service -- or the lack of it -- has been something of an Achilles Heel for the building and its tenants in recent years.

DCB Elevator Co. Inc. of Lewiston was awarded the contract to begin repairs to the building's main elevators. Terms were not disclosed.

Elevator service has been a hit-and-miss proposition in the building for the past few years. Since the freak October snowstorm, the main elevators have been without service and tenants have been forced to use a freight elevator.

New owner Bashar Issa pledged to restore elevator service before he did anything else in the building.

Issa is planning $80 million worth of renovations to the building as part of a plan to transform into a mixed-use complex with hotels, condominiums, office and retail space.

The work is expected to be completed by late 2008 or early 2009.

R&P Oak Hill LLC of Blasdell has been retained as the project's construction manager and Silvestri Architects of Amherst has been hired as the architectural team. Tredo Engineers and IBC Engineering, both of Buffalo, have retained as the respective structural and mechanical engineers.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/11/20/daily32.html?jst=b_ln_hl

kznyc2k
Nov 28, 2006, 5:00 PM
WNY Construction Cools Off

Business First of Buffalo - 8:13 AM EST Tuesday

Western New York's construction industry has been hot for most of the year, but it cooled off last month, according to a report released Tuesday by McGraw-Hill Inc.

Contracts for future construction in Erie and Niagara counties totaled $79.1 million in October. That was down 54 percent from the corresponding total of $171.2 million for the same month a year ago.

Both sides of the industry were affected by the downturn. Residential construction dropped 36 percent, and nonresidential construction fell 63 percent. Nonresidential projects include office buildings, industrial plants, stores, schools and churches.

Year-to-date figures remained substantially higher, reflecting the construction industry's strong performance during the first three quarters of 2006.

Contracts signed between Jan. 1 and Oct. 31 totaled $1.14 billion in the two-county region this year, which was 28 percent ahead of last year's 10-month total of $889 million.

Residential construction was up 12 percent for the January-October period, while nonresidential construction was up 42 percent.

chevy064
Nov 28, 2006, 8:28 PM
Issa Tower question:

Are there any legal roadblocks forming against the construction of the proposed tower? I haven't heard of any. I hope there isn't....

anyone?

believeinbflo
Nov 29, 2006, 4:24 AM
no but im sure once the wny construction unions know about issa's own construction company (which im certain is not unionized) an army of large inflatable rats will appear infront of South Elmwood.

but lets not get ahead of ourselves! we gotta make sure it's actually gonna be built 1st before we start worrying about obstacled

westcoastperspective
Nov 29, 2006, 5:00 AM
Issa Tower question:

Are there any legal roadblocks forming against the construction of the proposed tower? I haven't heard of any. I hope there isn't....

anyone?

I haven't heard of any....it isn't in a historic district, and the West Village Renn. Group appears to be OK with the plans. The only one to watch out for is Palladino. :jester:

Halovet
Nov 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
no but im sure once the wny construction unions know about issa's own construction company (which im certain is not unionized) an army of large inflatable rats will appear infront of South Elmwood.

but lets not get ahead of ourselves! we gotta make sure it's actually gonna be built 1st before we start worrying about obstacledWell, If we have thought of that, Im sure Issa and his associates (Hamberger in paticular) have plans in case this develops. Call me strange, but Im thinking we may not be the only ones wanting to see a dramatic change in the skyline.Could be the entire community wants to see this happen. Remember the Adelphia feasco? Folks were excited, before being let down. Im confident everything is going to work out. My only fear is if the project is (Gasp) Scaled back. God, don't let that happen. I've wanted something taller downtown sense Albany's tower was built in the early 70s.

Rue B
Nov 29, 2006, 3:14 PM
3 idle commercial sites downtown to be transformed into 60 residences

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
11/29/2006

Another wave of downtown Buffalo housing is scheduled to bring more than 60 additional residences to idle commercial sites.

The former Seneca Paper Co. warehouse at 210 Ellicott St., a mansion-turned-radio station at 23 North St. and an idle restaurant/commercial building at 504 Washington St. are all planned for conversion into homes in 2007.

"If I didn't believe the downtown residential market is strong, I wouldn't have come this far," said architect and developer Jake Schneider, who purchased the vacant Seneca Paper building in 2005 with an eye on converting it into loft apartments.

"We did a market study that looked specifically at the high-end units we were considering and found there's solid demand," he said.

Schneider and his partners are concluding efforts to have the 1913 warehouse certified as a historic structure. Armed with that designation, the seven-story building - which was one of the first high-rise, concrete-frame warehouses in the United States - is positioned to garner historic tax credits.

The $5 million project will yield 20 two-bedroom apartments and 10 one-bedroom units, chock-full of upscale amenities such as soaking tubs, laundry rooms and plentiful closets. The Warehouse Loft will also feature parking for 14 vehicles on the first floor and 8,000 square feet of office space on the second.

The developer has also purchased a nearby 62-space parking lot for use by his tenants.

Asbestos-removal work is under way, with construction to follow in mid-December. The developer is working with the Community Preservation Corp. and the City of Buffalo to assemble "gap financing" to aid the primarily privately funded effort.

Just around the corner at 504 Washington, E Square Capital has begun transforming a three-story commercial site into a trio of two-family townhouses. The unusual project will create owner-occupied multilevel dwellings, each offering the option of a separate rental unit. Each townhouse will also have indoor parking for two vehicles.

"It's a different twist on what's going on downtown. It's an ownership opportunity without the legal hassle of establishing condominiums," E Square's Eran Epstein said. "We think they'll be very appealing."

The townhouses, located across the street from Epstein's Holling Place Apartments, a converted printing plant, are expected to be priced at about $300,000.

First Amherst Development, which debuted the Granite Works residential/retail complex in the 800 block of Main Street this summer, is now taking aim at 23 North. The developer bought the vacant, late-1800s mansion, which served for many years as the home of WEBR-AM and WNED-FM, for $155,000 in September.

"We're always looking for another challenge, and we made the acquisition with the intention of continuing our great success in creating great market-rate housing downtown," said Ben Obletz of First Amherst.

The North Street property's location, at the northern edge of downtown, a few blocks from the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, had a lot to do with the developer's decision. Obletz said that it is a good fit for the company's "strategic vision" for city projects.

"We don't have final plans yet, but the general concept will be to bring that great old house back to life, along with a new-construction component," he added.

It is expected that the project will include as many as 30 apartments. First Amherst has also dusted off plans for a mid-rise apartment/condominium development in the 700 block of Main. That 100-unit project is not expected to take shape until 2008.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20061129/1057675.asp

Wigs
Nov 30, 2006, 1:09 AM
^definitely good news! :)

mrussell83
Nov 30, 2006, 3:34 AM
Very nice, funny to see a post about slowing down just above a post about more dev.
Went down to the NewEra store today, cool stuff!

westcoastperspective
Dec 1, 2006, 3:10 PM
Here's a jump-start. Biz First has a rendering of Paladino's waterfront village condo tower. 49 units, $260-$800k, starting construction next Spring:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9353/ellicottxj7.jpg

raisethehammer
Dec 1, 2006, 3:32 PM
hey folks
I live in Hamilton and came to Buffalo a few weeks back for the first time and found the Allentown/Elmwood neighbourhood. LOVED IT!
I'm coming back tomorrow with the wife, kids and 2 friends of ours who've never been.
One question - is it a safe area to walk around with kids?
I was watching the news last night from Buffalo and it said there's been around 70 some odd murders there this year. Hamilton's police force patrols a similar-sized area and we have between 5-8 murders every year.
Anything I should know about Elmwood area to stay safe?

Cheers

westcoastperspective
Dec 1, 2006, 3:35 PM
Welcome and Elmwood is one of the safest neighborhoods in Buffalo. Most of the murders are in one area of the city and are drug/gang related (East Side). Enjoy your visit and come more often! :cheers:

mrussell83
Dec 1, 2006, 4:09 PM
Very Safe, like Chris said it's mostly the east side (where I grew up :) ) that has the trouble.

Elmwood and Allentown are wonderful areas; please spread the word to your friends in Hamilton.

buffaLOVE
Dec 1, 2006, 7:47 PM
I was just woundering about gates circle? any new news?

westcoastperspective
Dec 1, 2006, 8:34 PM
Biz First this week says the design for Gates will be out in January. Lots of good info. in the Journal this week!

Also says that Sidway is being sold to a NYC investor (no word on if it is going condo), and that Clover is still planning a project for the Schmidt lot, but it will be apartments.

believeinbflo
Dec 1, 2006, 8:45 PM
Here's a jump-start. Biz First has a rendering of Paladino's waterfront village condo tower. 49 units, $260-$800k, starting construction next Spring:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9353/ellicottxj7.jpg

Give Paladino credit for not building an exact replica of the tower that's already up like he's doing with the new townhouses lol.
it doesn't look that bad for a paladino project.

Rue B
Dec 1, 2006, 9:39 PM
Give Paladino credit for not building an exact replica of the tower that's already up like he's doing with the new townhouses lol.
it doesn't look that bad for a paladino project.

I'm praying that this building isn't mired in dark brown brick like the other in the Waterfront Village.

sullymon54
Dec 1, 2006, 11:57 PM
70!!!?? doesn't that sound a little high to anyone?

raisethehammer
Dec 2, 2006, 12:24 AM
thanks folks....glad to hear that from some locals.
I'm going to guess that the 'eastside' is the neighbourhood I drove through on Hwy 33 from the Walden Galleria Mall to downtown?? That looked like one heck of a neighbourhood...at least from the highway.
I'll be in town tomorrow with 2 Hamilton friends....I've been spreading the word on a local online urban development zine as well - www.raisethehammer.org
I love your city. Keep up the good work.

westcoastperspective
Dec 2, 2006, 3:30 AM
Raise- Yes, driving on the 33 takes you through some tough neighborhoods on the east side, but also one of Buffalo best and overlooked, Hamlin Park. Spread the word, we're on a slow path back, but many problems that need to be addressed.

Halovet
Dec 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'm praying that this building isn't mired in dark brown brick like the other in the Waterfront Village. Amen to that!

Halovet
Dec 2, 2006, 12:34 PM
Very Safe, like Chris said it's mostly the east side (where I grew up :) ) that has the trouble.

Elmwood and Allentown are wonderful areas; please spread the word to your friends in Hamilton.Well, MANY years ago, I moved on Summer St. (from The Perry St. Towers) and the area started getting Bad, but then, I did move there!?..:lmao: That might have had a little something to do with it.:notacrook: but that was 40 years ago Raise, so, you should be fine.:haha:

raisethehammer
Dec 2, 2006, 2:50 PM
cool...thanks everyone. just did a last minute check of the weather radar to make sure we don't get stuck in one of your famous lake blizzards....
sorry to interupt your development forum to ask questions....although I guess having tourists come from out of town is certainly a vital part of development.
we should do a 'buffalo-hamilton' exchange type of program where we encourage people from each city to check out the other.
i think we both get overlooked by flashy toronto too often.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

mrussell83
Dec 2, 2006, 4:22 PM
we should do a 'buffalo-hamilton' exchange type of program where we encourage people from each city to check out the other.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

Amen to that. I like to idea of the exchange. I'm working with some people on a Buffalo / Toronto exchange, Hamilton would be interesting :cheers: .
Lets get something going, email me at mark@mrussell.us.

westcoastperspective
Dec 2, 2006, 4:49 PM
Amen to that!

Apparently the red theme will continue- this is the rendering for the townhomes (courtesy of TheStip). Can't imagine they'd go with something different for the tower.

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3881/waterfrontai3.jpg

Halovet
Dec 2, 2006, 11:23 PM
Apparently the red theme will continue- this is the rendering for the townhomes (courtesy of TheStip). Can't imagine they'd go with something different for the tower.

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3881/waterfrontai3.jpg God forbid we spice up the waterfront! I mean, THIS IS BUFFALO DAMIT, not Seattle.:koko:

westcoastperspective
Dec 3, 2006, 3:09 PM
Did Brown really say this? I guess he did!

Developer eyes offices at foot of Church St.

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
12/3/2006

An Orchard Park developer is proposing to construct a new office building at the foot of Church Street downtown.

The Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency has named Peter Krog designated developer for a vacant piece of city-owned property at 166 Church St., behind the Adam's Mark hotel. Krog plans to build a four- to six-story office complex in the $11 million to $17 million price range.

Mayor Byron W. Brown, who serves as urban renewal agency chairman, said while he likes the project and the building, he could not vote in favor of it. "I'm deeply concerned about the loss of parking downtown. I will have to vote "no,' " Brown said.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7111/shockingxc4.jpg

Taking a cue from the mayor, agency members gave Krog a green light to proceed with plans as designated developer, but added a requirement for a parking study.

_____

Yah, that's what downtown is lacking, surface parking lots! :koko:

mrussell83
Dec 3, 2006, 5:35 PM
Just emailed Mayor Brown with my two cents on parking, I suggest you ALL do the same:
Here is the address mszczepaniec@city-buffalo.com (from the city website)

sullymon54
Dec 3, 2006, 8:47 PM
wow, all i can say is wow. There is no way he can be serious.

westcoastperspective
Dec 3, 2006, 9:58 PM
Seems like some of the other competing developers might have gotten Byron's ear on this one. :shrug:

steel
Dec 4, 2006, 6:43 AM
cool...thanks everyone. just did a last minute check of the weather radar to make sure we don't get stuck in one of your famous lake blizzards....
sorry to interupt your development forum to ask questions....although I guess having tourists come from out of town is certainly a vital part of development.

anyhow...thanks
cheers

Raise

Check out the Buffalo rising Blog Magazine especially the city channel. I think you would like it buffalorising.com

mrussell83
Dec 4, 2006, 4:35 PM
Commercial property boosts assessments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'I view it as positive news. . . . Downtown is back.' - BRUNA MICHAUX

By BRIAN MEYER and SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporters
12/3/2006

Strong home sales in some Buffalo neighborhoods and new investment downtown are expected to result in thousands of property owners paying larger tax bills next July.
More than 12,000 homeowners and nearly 800 businesses started receiving letters Friday, announcing that the city has increased their assessments. About 15 percent of all properties in the city would see increases, although owners have the right to challenge new assessments. Another 2 percent would see decreases.

The tentative changes would add $807.6 million to the value of properties in Buffalo, including a $561.4 million increase in the value of commercial properties.

Most of the increase in commercial value occurred downtown, said Bruna Michaux, Assessment and Taxation commissioner.

"I view it as positive news," she said. "It's obvious that investors are optimistic about downtown Buffalo. Downtown is back."

Most properties in the business district haven't been reassessed in more than five years, she added.

The current value of all taxable land in the city is $5.7 billion. An additional $807.6 million in value would represent a 14 percent increase.

A look at assessment changes along downtown's Main Street provides a snapshot of the notices many businesses are finding in their mailboxes. Of 80 properties from the foot of Main Street through the 900 block, 15 saw their assessed valuations rise by more than $1 million.

Buffalo's tallest and most expensive office tower, the HSBC Center, leads the pack. The complex, which was sold to a New York City investment group for a record $85 million in 2005, is now assessed at $84 million, up from $50.77 million.

M&T Bank, which has two major buildings on Main Street, also saw steep increases. The assessment of the bank's headquarters building climbed from $12.7 million to $24 million, while its M&T Center complex, in the 500 block, saw a valuation leap from $16.5 million to $30.5 million.

It's premature to speculate on the impact of the increased values, said Keith Belanger, M&T's senior vice president for corporate services.

"We don't know what they mean in terms of the tax rate and individual tax bills," he said. "As long as they've been reasonably uniform in their assessment approach and we're all up, the fiscal impact will be spread among many property owners."

The increased valuations seem to show an improvement in downtown's business climate, said Belanger, who chairs Buffalo Place.

"This hopefully quantifies improved conditions downtown. It's something we've sensed, but this puts numbers to that observation," he added.

Not all property owners are upbeat about their revaluations.

Pat Hotung, of Main Place-Liberty Group, which owns the Main Place Mall and Tower, as well as the Liberty Building, said he doesn't even need to see the update to know it's off base.

The new assessment pegs the value of Hotung's properties at $29.7 million, up from $20.2 million.

"We will vigorously challenge any and all attempts to increase our assessments," said Hotung, who faces a vacancy rate approaching 50 percent in his properties.

A few thousand homeowners would see valuations increase by at least $10,000. Hundreds who live in upscale neighborhoods would see valuations increase by anywhere from $40,000 to $325,000. Howard T. Saperston Jr., who runs Saperston Real Estate, is one such example. The assessment on his Morris Avenue home would increase by $93,400 - or 33 percent. He thinks the new $373,400 assessment is too high and will likely challenge it.

Saperston said it's clear Buffalo is "significantly more healthy than it was" and that property values have been increasing.

"But the flip side is whether they're also doing this to balance the budget," he said, noting that raising assessments can be a back-door way of raising taxes.

At the current tax rate, every $10,000 increase in assessment would raise city tax bills by $207.50.

About 1,600 homeowners and 142 commercial properties would see assessment reductions, including some who live on affluent streets such as Nottingham and Middlesex.

"This only proves that we're doing our job. We just don't go out and raise everyone's assessments," Michaux said. "We don't determine the market value of properties. Buyers and sellers determine market values." Property owners have until Jan. 2 to file challenges. The Board of Assessment Review will hold hearings in January and February, then make decisions by the March 1 deadline for finalizing valuations.

homestar
Dec 4, 2006, 5:14 PM
Seems like some of the other competing developers might have gotten Byron's ear on this one. :shrug:
Or maybe businesses that use the current parking lot are pissed that they may lose it?

Somebody is interfering and seems to have the Mayor's ear on this.

It's good we know early on that Brown is so easily influenced, even at the risk of new development.

westcoastperspective
Dec 6, 2006, 5:38 AM
Pierce Building conversion complete

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3752/pierce003zt5.jpg

Business First of Buffalo

Downtown Buffalo's newest apartment/ mixed-use complex will make its formal debut on Wednesday night.

Local developer Ron Alsheimer and his company, the Plaza Group, will be unveiling the Pierce Building ay 653 Main St. during special ceremonies.

Alsheimer, who bought the two-story, 18,000-square-foot building two years ago, spent the better part of year renovating the circa 1921 structure.

The property includes four apartments, ranging in size between 2,000 square feet and 2,200 square feet and 9,000-square-feet of first floor retail and office space.

"Our slogan is there's only four apartments," Alsheimer said.

Midway Jewelers, which has been a tenant in the building for years, will remain on the first floor.

Alsheimer said he is talking with several prospective tenants about the remaining 7,200-square-feet of first floor space.

"We've got a couple who are looking, but there's nothing serious yet," he said.

The project is the first residential complex in Alsheimer's vast real estate portfolio.

With work completed on the Pierce Building, Alsheimer is now focusing on his second residential project, the conversion of a former nursing home at 1040 Delaware Avenue into a market rate apartment complex.

Alsheimer hopes to put 39 units in that building with the apartments coming on line next fall.

steel
Dec 6, 2006, 6:26 AM
Don't like the blue awnings

westcoastperspective
Dec 6, 2006, 6:59 AM
Not sure what the finished product will look like- that's the rendering from their website, AllThingsBuffalo has a more recent pic (minus awnings). Gio is going over there next Monday for a tour and to do a post on Buffalo Rising.

mrussell83
Dec 6, 2006, 4:07 PM
I'll be downtown today, see if I can snag a pic.

homestar
Dec 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
They probably won't install any awnings until after winter.
So we have time to pester them!

:D

westcoastperspective
Dec 9, 2006, 12:36 AM
MR- are you back with the pic yet? :D

Anyone been by the Courtyard Mall for an update? How about Ellicott Commons- the windows are in.

steel
Dec 9, 2006, 7:04 AM
Just picked up a copy of the new book "GardenWalk Buffalo" Absolutely beautiful. The gardens featured are incredible. Get the version that includes the companion DVD.

mrussell83
Dec 9, 2006, 1:56 PM
Sorry, out of town on business will be back tommarow morning.

believeinbflo
Dec 9, 2006, 7:07 PM
MR- are you back with the pic yet? :D

Anyone been by the Courtyard Mall for an update? How about Ellicott Commons- the windows are in.

THey're chipping away at the Neisner's facade and still gutting out the inside (you can still see the "feel rite" that was in the courtyard mall).
Ellicott Commons is coming along. I was downtown but taking pics of all the projects from the harbor to the commons was too much in yesterday's weahter lol...ill have pics on my blog this week

buffaLOVE
Dec 10, 2006, 4:06 AM
Any news on Dulski plans? Also, just woundering about the casino?

steel
Dec 11, 2006, 3:31 AM
CURRENT CITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
MAYOR BYRON W. BROWN
Project Status * Cost
1 Cobblestone Lofts Office: 26 Mississippi Street-Mixed-Use: renovation - office C 3,500,000$
2 Lofts at Cobblestone: 30-50 Mississippi: renovation, mixed-use retail & residential; 36 units UC 12,500,000$
3 New Era Headquarters, 160 Delaware Ave. C 10,000,000$
4 285 Delaware Avenue, Uniland Development-New Office building UC 12,000,000$
5 50 Court Street , new office building PL 40,000,000$
6 Cobey Inc., new manufacturing facility; Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park; 1 Ship Canal Pkwy. SC 10,000,000$
7 HealthNow Headquarters, 457 W. Genesee St.; new construction, office UC 110,000,000$
8 Bass Pro Outdoor World Store PL 60,000,000$
9 Elmwood Avenue Hotel PR -$
10 IS Lofts Downtown Housing, 362 Oak Street, 24 units, reconstruction) C 5,000,000$
11 Artspace, 1219 Main Street, reconstruction, 60 apts. UC 17,500,000$
12 Granite Works; 844-864 Main Street, mixed-use project, reconstruction C 8,000,000$
13 Waterfront Village Housing Project; new construction AP 12,500,000$
14 Lenox Hotel Renovation; reconstruction PL 5,000,000$
15 Pierce Building, 653 Main Street; reconstruction UC 500,000$
16 Sodexho Laundry, 60 Grider Street (Curtiss Wright) UC 2,700,000$
17 Glenny Drive/Kensington Heights Retirement Community PR 80,000,000$
18 AIDS Community Services, Elmwood Avenue project PR 7,000,000$
19 Hydro-Air Company, 100 Abby St., new manufacturing facility UC 7,500,000$
20 Delaware & Linden Retail Plaza (Tim Horton's, IHOP, Credit Union; 2240-2300 Delaware) UC 5,500,000$
21 504 Elmwood Avenue in-fill mixed-use project C 3,000,000$
22 504 Washington Street PR 1,000,000$
23 Guaranty Bldg, 30 Church Street; renovations UC 12,000,000$
24 Desiderios Food Warehouse, 530 Bailey Ave., new construction-warehouse & office expansion UC 2,100,000$
25 New Office Building, 227 Niagara Street PL 550,000$
26 Senior Apt with parking, 257 Virginia Street PL 2,000,000$
27 Apt Bldg conversion with Day Care, 92 Pearl Street PL 9,200,000$
28 Human Service Facility, 1924 Bailey Ave PL 1,500,000$
29 Paper Recycling Bldg, 12 Metcalf PL 570,000$
30 Loft Conversion, 686 Main Street (Birzon Building); renovation, mixed-use PL 1,500,000$
31 Plaza Expansion, 2635 Delaware Ave (Plaza Group) UC 750,000$
32 First Niagara Bank buildout, 726 Exchange C 578,430$
33 Tops renovation, 2101 Elmwood Ave. UC 650,000$
34 Medical Bldg, Building C, 100 High Street UC 980,000$
35 Union Hall, CWA Local 1133, 821 Elk Street AP 700,000$
36 WNY Medical Arts Bldg. Phase I; new construction, Medical Office, 700 Michigan Ave. C 2,000,000$
37 Tenant Build Out, 20 East Huron Street UC 800,000$
38 Masonry Addition, 1 Bud Mil PL 750,000$
39 499 Washington, Reconstruction, 82 units UC 2,500,000$
40 937 Broadway, Reconstruction, 43 units UC 2,250,000$
41 100 Seneca Street, renovation for NYSDOT UC 2,489,000$
42 St. John Phase I (Fruitbelt), 10 units new housing construction UC 1,506,880$
43 St. John Phase II (Fruitbelt), 10 new housing construction PL 2,200,000$
44 St. John Townhomes, 28 units, new construction PR 6,000,000$
45 Bethel Phases I-II; 18 new housing construction (Ada & Elsie Streets) UC 2,525,000$
46 HoZo-New Opportunities; 19 new housing construction (Kane, Camp & Davis Streets) UC 3,050,000$
47 East Side Opportunities; 30 units new housing construction (Dodge Street) UC 6,000,000$
48 Sycamore Village; 48 units, new housing construction (Kang, Kemp & Davis Streets) PL 7,200,000$
49 The Packard Building, Main & Riley UC 8,932,000$
50 Shoreline Apartments, housing renovation PL 10,700,000$
51 Statler Building Renovation, 107 Delaware Ave.; mixed-use: hotel, office, housing PR 80,000,000$
52 Electric Tower, 535 Washington Street, office; renovation UC 11,300,000$
53 Old Metroplex Renovation, 723 Main Street SC 1,500,000$
54 Seneca Paper, 210 Ellicott Street, renovation/conversion, housing UC 6,800,000$
55 Phoenix House-564 Delaware Avenue (Moscati), renovation UC 1,040,000$
56 599 Delaware Avenue (FDA Building), renovation, R&D Facility C 2,500,000$
57 RiverWright Ethanol Plant PR 80,000,000$
58 Greystone Apartments, 24 Johnson Park; conversion, residential; 33 units UC 7,000,000$
59 AM&A's Redevelopment, renovation, mixed-use PR -$
60 Ellicott Commons, 465 Ellicott; residential; new construction; 30 units UC 4,300,000$
61 Dulski Office Building; Mixed-use office and residential; cost TBD PR 6,100,000$
62 33 Gates Circle Condominiums PR 40,000,000$
63 Courtyard Mall, 450-460 Main St.; renovation/conversion; mixed-use ofc. & res. UC 5,500,000$
64 878 Main Street, Zeptometrix; renovation; corporate offices PR 500,000$
65 Center for Transportation Excellence; 401 E. Amherst Street PL 3,000,000$
66 Webb Building; Pearl St.; renovation/conversion; mixed-use; 32 units PR 10,000,000$
67 Rigidized Metals expansion; 658 Ohio St.; 20,000 sf addition, manufacturing. AP 1,500,000$
68 WNY Medical Arts Bldg. Phase II; new construction, Medical Office, 700 Michigan Ave. UC 3,500,000$
69 Elmwood Village Charter School, 124 Elmwood Ave.; rehab-school C 2,300,000$
70 112 Genesee Street; conversion/renovation: residential; cost TBD PR -$
71 BSC Tower; S. Elmwood Ave.; new construction; Mixed-use: Office, hotel and residential PR 361,000,000$
72 Tacoma Lofts, 618 Tacoma Ave.; conversion/renovation; 13 apartments C 1,175,000$
73 The Apartments at 1040 Delaware Avenue; conversion/renovation to 45 apartments UC 1,200,000$
74 North Street Y Senior Apartments, 245 North St.; conversion/renovation; 63 senior apartments UC 3,500,000$
75 Genesee Village, 99-107 Genesee; renovation, mixed-use; costs TBD PR -$
76 Colvin Housing Project; former Railroad ROW; 132 building lots; Total cost TBD PL -$
77 567 Exchange St., renovation/conversion-artists studios; cost TBD UC -$
Subtotal 1,138,896,310$
PUBLIC WORKS PROJECTS AND NON-TAXABLE
78 Federal Courthouse PL 120,000,000$
79 Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino and parking- est. PL 125,000,000$
80 Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino Hotel- est. PR -$
81 Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino Office Tower-est... PR -$
82 UB Center of Excellence C 61,000,000$
83 Roswell Park Research Facility C 61,000,000$
84 BNMC-Medical Campus Infrastructure improvements & Allen Street extension PL 11,400,000$
85 Erie Canal Harbor Project and new Naval Museum UC 50,000,000$
86 Erie Community College-Downtown PR 90,000,000$
87 Darwin Martin House and associated projects; renovation and new construction UC 35,000,000$
88 Frank Lloyd Wright Boat House UC 5,400,000$
89 Frank Lloyd Wright Gas Station & Pierce-Arrow Transportation Museum PR 10,000,000$
90 Michigan St Church/Nash H/ Colored Musicians total PR 1,000,000$
91 UB Education Opportunity Center (EOC) PL 25,000,000$
92 Cornerstone Manor (150 E. North at Michigan, 122 units, new construction) C 10,688,133$
93 St. John Baptist Hospice House PL 2,600,000$
94 Joint Schools Construction, Phase I (9 schools) UC 173,500,000$
95 Joint Schools Construction, Phase II (13 schools) PL 327,000,000$
96 Joint Schools Construction, Phase III (9 schools) PR 375,000,000$
97 Living Opportunities of DePaul (Group Home, 75 units; new construction; Seneca & Elk) PL 805,014$
98 BMHA Lakeview 3A2; 6 housing units for rent; new construction UC 1,159,304$
99 AD Price, rehab 170 existing units; new construction of 48 rental housing units (Jefferson near William) PL 40,000,000$
100 H.H. Richardson Complex PR 54,000,000$
101 Richardson Architecture Museum PR 24,000,000$
102 Burchfield Penny Art Museum PL 22,000,000$
103 Shea's Theater Renovations PL 700,000$
104 Cars Sharing Main Street, Federal & State PL 14,000,000$
105 Southtown Connector-Fuhrmann Blvd. reconstruction AP 32,000,000$
106 Buffalo State College Technology Center PL 40,000,000$
107 Canisius College Interdisciplinary Science Center PL 45,000,000$
108 Mount Mercy Academy Renovations UC 400,000$
109 Sisters' Hospital, 2157 Main Street, renovations UC 2,138,000$
110 Dick Smith Teaching Pavilion at Great Lakes Center (Cotter Point) C 240,000$
111 Union Ship Canal Park at Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park AP 8,000,000$
112 Tow Path Park (Hertel Avenue) PL 826,000$
113 Scajaquada Pathway, Phase I - bicycle and pedestrian trail SC 1,700,000$
114 Inner Harbor Parking Facility PL 16,300,000$
115 Erie Canal & Great Lakes Museum at the Inner Harbor PR 15,000,000$
116 Outer Harbor Greenbelt - shoreline improvement and linear park UC 14,000,000$
117 Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park Phase II (north of canal) roads, infrastructure PR 9,000,000$
118 Buffalo Zoo Rainforest Exhibit AP 15,000,000$
119 Ira G. Ross Eye Institute, 1176 Main Street; new construction UC 4,000,000$
120 Niagara Lutheran Retirement Community; E. Delavan & Pleasant Place PR -$
121 Connecticut Street Armory; 184 Connecticut St.; restoration, window replacement C 2,000,000$
Subtotal 1,845,856,451$
LONG-TERM
122Buffalo Lakefront Development (Outer Harbor) PR $700,000,000
Grand total $3,684,752,761
* Status Column Keys:
C: Completed
SC: Substantially Completed
UC: Applied for Building permits/ under construction or will start soon
AP: Approved, funded and in final design and engineering
PL: Planned; project announced and likely to move forward
PR: Proposed; project announced but contingent on external factors

kznyc2k
Dec 13, 2006, 5:17 PM
kinda cool..

Hortons, Dunkin' ready to serve Downtown

Business First of Buffalo - 11:42 AM EST Wednesday
by James Fink - Business First

Downtown Buffalo, which has been lacking a pure doughnut shop for years, is about to welcome three within the next few months.

Tim Hortons, the chain named after and started by the late Buffalo Sabres defenseman, will soon be opening outlets in the HSBC Center and Key Center at Fountain Plaza twin tower complex. Both should be open by the end of the month.

The two represent the first Tim Hortons outlets in the city's immediate central business district.

Also in the works, according to sources, is a Dunkin' Donuts outlet that's planned in the first floor of a multi-tenant building located at the corner of Main and Chippewa streets. The building is anchored by the National Life of Vermont offices.

The deal, which is still being negotiated, would be Dunkin' Donuts just across the street from its local rival, Tim Hortons. It would also bring a significant retail presence to one of downtown's newest, multi-tenant office buildings.

Dunkin' Donuts, for the past few years, has been making an aggressive push to open new outlets in the Buffalo Niagara region. The chain is headed by former Delaware North Cos. executive and area resident Jonathan Luther.

Pending the final negotiations, the new Dunkin' Donuts is expected to open early next year.

westcoastperspective
Dec 15, 2006, 1:37 AM
Donuts are good....fishing stores are better. :tup:

Halovet
Dec 16, 2006, 11:43 AM
fishing stores are better. Yeah, If they ever build the dam thing!:koko:

westcoastperspective
Dec 16, 2006, 2:17 PM
Yeah, If they ever build the dam thing!:koko:

Getting very close. But, we've heard that before.
Open by Christmas '09

Rue B
Dec 16, 2006, 3:08 PM
Skyway should fall, planners conclude
By JOHN F. BONFATTI
News Staff Reporter
12/16/2006

The Skyway should be torn down and replaced by a surface bridge or bridges, a study released Friday says.
The study, conducted by the Congress for the New Urbanism and the Center for Neighborhood Technology, says the 50-year-old four-lane highway running above the Buffalo waterfront is an impediment to development of potentially valuable waterfront land.

"It's incredible that, in a [region] of a million people, we have the waterfront basically unused," said former Milwaukee mayor John Norquist, now president of the Congress for New Urbanism.

Rep. Brian M. Higgins, D-Buffalo, used the study to continue his criticism of the state Department of Transportation, which he said was the main obstacle to removing the Skyway.

"They have no credibility or creativity, and the consequences are economically disastrous," Higgins said.

DOT spokeswoman Jennifer Post said the department, at the behest of local officials, has hired a consultant to study altering or replacing the Skyway. That report is expected to be completed by this time next year.

"We will work closely with elected officials, interested community groups and the traveling public as we develop and report the finding of this preliminary study," she said.

The study concludes there is a "strong transportation planning rationale" to replace the Skyway with a surface road.

"Removing the Skyway and replacing it with surface streets connected to the city's street grid can help Buffalo renew its waterfront and add value to its tax base," the report says.

Higgins, Norquist and Scott Bernstein, president of the Center for Neighborhood Technology, cited Milwaukee and Portland, Ore., as examples of cities that were revitalized after the removal of elevated highway stretches.

Higgins maintained that Erie County supplies 6.5 percent of the state gasoline tax revenues, which fund federal highway and bridge work, but only gets 1.5 percent of the money allocated for such work.

Higgins said that by his calculation, "the State of New York owes us $150 million," which would be enough to demolish the Skyway and build a surface bridge.

Residents need to change their mindset, the congressman said.

"Instead of asking, "Where are you going to find the money to demolish the Skyway?' the real question is, "What is it costing us not to replace it?,' " he said.

Halovet
Dec 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
DOT spokeswoman Jennifer Post said the department, at the behest of local officials, has hired a consultant to study altering or replacing the Skyway. That report is expected to be completed by this time next year.

"We will work closely with elected officials, interested community groups and the traveling public as we develop and report the finding of this preliminary study," she said.

The study concludes there is a "strong transportation planning rationale" to replace the Skyway with a surface road.

This is such Bullshit! There have been at least 8 "studies" on the Skyway. Higgins has to be going nucking Futz by now. He tries so hard to get shit done, only to have local Assholes stonewall at every turn. Guess the signature Bridge is going to remain a political football as well. Do these guys (local officials) get paid to be on these study teams? Seems like one hell of a racket to me, and the folks in WNY should be sick of it by now. Assuming these officials get paid to be in these groups, I'm guessing that If these study groups were voluntary, and there were no personal gain involved, I bet things would get done a lot sooner.:hell:

westcoastperspective
Dec 18, 2006, 2:31 AM
:dead:

WIVB is reporting Bass Pro is dead???

Something drastic must have happened over the weekend, because as of Friday, they were ready to go public with details (though an agreement hadn't been signed). Maybe WIVB ran with a rumor in order to scoop everyone. Hmmm.

believeinbflo
Dec 18, 2006, 3:44 AM
:dead:

WIVB is reporting Bass Pro is dead???

Something drastic must have happened over the weekend, because as of Friday, they were ready to go public with details (though an agreement hadn't been signed). Maybe WIVB ran with a rumor in order to scoop everyone. Hmmm.

could be a negotiation tactic...

Halovet
Dec 18, 2006, 7:34 AM
could be a negotiation tactic...Or it could be more Bull~Shit. I wish Brown would just tell them to go to hell. I said it before, Cabelas or Lunkers would probably be willing to put the same type center down there at less price. It's been Years already, with nothing to show. Buffalo dosen't have to beg anyone. Cut a better deal with someone else, or just build a condo. I say F%$k em, and Feed em Night Crawlers.:maddown:

http://www.r-rpheasanthunting.com/images/cabelas.jpghttp://www.pitt.edu/~relyea/z_Images/Current_events_2004/Cabelas-Nancy2.jpghttp://www.travelnevada.com/featured_stories_files/Shopping-Cabelas-mountain.jpg
http://members.aol.com/dornbrau/images/cabelas1.jpg
http://www.musiclab.net/install/images/cabelas/Cabelas.jpg
http://www.musiclab.net/install/images/cabelas/Cabelas2.jpg
http://www.scsc.k12.ar.us/2003outwest/PhotoGallery/Cabelas%20FIsh3.jpg

sullymon54
Dec 18, 2006, 4:36 PM
On the anouncement of our study happy "local officials" proposing another one for the skyway, isn't it time taht these people start getting called out by name so there can be exact and immediate recourse. Local officials doesn't cut it for me, i want to know who these people are and where they live so they can start being held publically accountable for the theft of millions and indirectly billions of dollars that this development would result in.

westcoastperspective
Dec 18, 2006, 4:40 PM
On the anouncement of our study happy "local officials" proposing another one for the skyway, isn't it time taht these people start getting called out by name so there can be exact and immediate recourse. Local officials doesn't cut it for me, i want to know who these people are and where they live so they can start being held publically accountable for the theft of millions and indirectly billions of dollars that this development would result in.

Agreed! Just like when the County Legislature voted against restoring funding for the Conv. & Visitors Bureau- the News should publish who voted against it specifically. Let the morons be named.

BANKofMANHATTAN
Dec 18, 2006, 6:03 PM
Oh, that's some nice news for the holidays, how would you like that multi-annual subscription to Thumb In Ass magazine wrapped??

I want to be in one of these "study" groups - and sign my friends The Riddler, The Hamburgler, Herry Monster, and Dracula up for good measure. :haha:

It's a shame B-Lo has to suffer for other's bad ideas, poor planning, weak money management, and circle marathons. :koko:

thestip
Dec 18, 2006, 8:23 PM
Well according to Rich Newburgh from Channel 4, Bass Pro was ready to go on Friday, but for some reason talks broke down on Saturday. I have heard from other sources that this is indeed what occurred and now Business First is reporting that ECHDC is giving Bass Pro 30 days to sign, or they're out of the project at the foot of Main! Go ECHDC for growing a set!

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/12/18/daily7.html?jst=b_ln_hl

steel
Dec 19, 2006, 5:27 AM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1562/canal2mc7.png

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7592/canalsideyh6.png

Downtown Bolivar
Dec 19, 2006, 5:50 AM
Nice work Steel!

Looks like a solid plan--I like the extra water feature included (Prime?!? slip). I also like the conceptual redevelopment of the Donovan State Office Building. Does the HSBC atrium become a hotel in this plan? Looks like the original Aud is still part of the plan and not a new building. Any way we could get that diagram map bigger so we can read the names easier? One criticism I have is that the Skyway looks impossibly grafted into the scene--it doesn't look that good in real life and it never will.

steel
Dec 19, 2006, 6:27 AM
Check out either the channel 2 or channel 4 site. One of those has bigger images

mrussell83
Dec 19, 2006, 1:48 PM
http://projectbuffalo.com/waterfront/waterfrontsketches1.pdf
http://projectbuffalo.com/waterfront/waterfrontsketches2.pdf

Looks great!

Downtown Bolivar
Dec 19, 2006, 3:47 PM
Thanks to both of you!

mrussell83
Dec 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
Is it just me or do most of the people who post on BRO make you want to jump off a bridge?

Sulley
Dec 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
You mean Elmwood Rising? Let them live in their bubble.

steel
Dec 20, 2006, 12:49 AM
You mean Elmwood Rising? Let them live in their bubble.

Better than Cheektowaga

Sulley
Dec 20, 2006, 2:19 AM
That's like choosing death by firing squad or lethal injection.

Downtown Bolivar
Dec 20, 2006, 6:44 PM
I have to agree--reading the replies on BRO posts are pretty bad. I like the info though that the site itself gives.

westcoastperspective
Dec 20, 2006, 6:49 PM
I have to agree--reading the replies on BRO posts are pretty bad. I like the info though that the site itself gives.

Of course! ;)

I'm hoping to get renderings from Ellicott Dev. for their waterfront village project. Should have them in the next couple days. Also, plans for the Roanoke expansion on S. Elmwood Avenue- sometime next week.

westcoastperspective
Dec 21, 2006, 8:15 PM
Ellicott's Waterfront Place project:

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/archives/2006/12/the_place_on_the_waterfro.php

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/2746/tower2go4.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6933/renderedelevations2zv1.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8858/sitemasterplan2ig4.jpg

steel
Dec 21, 2006, 8:36 PM
ugh...that base! and what's with the berms? And what's with the surface parking on the corner? This whole area of the city has absolutely horrid design principles

westcoastperspective
Dec 21, 2006, 8:39 PM
They likely didn't want to bury the parking ($$$$) and it allows them to raise the building to capture waterfront views ($$$$)

steel
Dec 21, 2006, 8:54 PM
There are other solutions to all those issues without going underground