PDA

View Full Version : Cover Story: "The Next Los Angeles"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

tujunga
Sep 29, 2007, 4:12 PM
We went to City Walk tonight (took the Red Line there) and WOW! Talk about a change. It's such a different experience. Not only has cleaned up nicely and have more neon and flashy signs, but taking the subway there instead of driving (and paying for parking) makes it a much more enjoyable experience. We bumped into a fellow SSP poster there (BobbyWLA :) ) and all had dinner together. We all agreed that City Walk was really fun and we really like it now.

Then we took the subway to Hollywood/Highland and people-watched and we all talked about how much LA was changing into such a cool place. I think "The Next Los Angeles" will be a place that's actually enjoyable!

Even if you're already driving near City Walks it's much better to shoot over to the NoHo station, park for free, take the subway to the Studio City station and take the free tram ride up, but be warned the last tram leaves back down around midnight.

Wright Concept
Sep 29, 2007, 4:14 PM
Is that social service building across the street from the council district headquarters?

Yes it is.

Art
Sep 30, 2007, 2:31 AM
im still around, but prefer to lurk for reasons this thread illustrates

sopas ej
Oct 1, 2007, 8:24 PM
We went to City Walk tonight (took the Red Line there) and WOW! Talk about a change. It's such a different experience. Not only has cleaned up nicely and have more neon and flashy signs, but taking the subway there instead of driving (and paying for parking) makes it a much more enjoyable experience. We bumped into a fellow SSP poster there (BobbyWLA :) ) and all had dinner together. We all agreed that City Walk was really fun and we really like it now.

Then we took the subway to Hollywood/Highland and people-watched and we all talked about how much LA was changing into such a cool place. I think "The Next Los Angeles" will be a place that's actually enjoyable!

Funny, I was at City Walk three Sundays ago, after not having been there in 7 years. Apart from the Cineplex Odeon now being called the AMC (and from what I've heard, it's now all stadium seating), I didn't really notice that much of a change. Maybe that upstairs food court didn't exist 7 years ago, but I'm not sure. I like that City Walk exists, the tourists seem to like it, and some locals seem to go there regularly, but I personally wouldn't make it a point to go there often, there aren't really any stores or restaurants that I'd consider a big draw. I also took the train there, caught the Gold Line from the Mission Station which is near where I live, etc.

LA really needs more rail, preferably subways. Though expensive to build, they're much faster than light rail, and you don't have to worry about some idiot trying to beat the train at a surface crossing. Some people complain about the cost of subways (especially those Busriders Union militants), but they obviously don't see it as an investment in infrastructure that will pay off in the long run.

The trains also need to run later. A few years ago, my friend and I got "stranded" downtown, because we didn't realize that on the weekend, the last Pasadena-bound Gold Line train leaves Union Station before midnight! We had seen a movie in Hollywood, then afterwards took the Red Line to Union Station and then discovered our predicament. We ended up having to take a cab back to South Pas.