PDA

View Full Version : DUBAI | Burj Khalifah (Burj Dubai) | 828 M / 2,716.5 FT - Pinnacle | 162 FLOORS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

alphawolf
Nov 25, 2006, 6:27 PM
Is Al Burj still pretty hush hush? I haven't heard much about that one in some time.

Dougall5505
Nov 25, 2006, 7:08 PM
some renderings on the first page would be sweet

Bergenser
Nov 25, 2006, 9:19 PM
Mmm, not so sure. I think the Al Burj will give this one a run for its money. It could easily reach a kilometer tall. It probably will too if Nakheel get their way......which they normally do. Got a feeling they will want to challenge the WTB when they know what height they have to beat!
EMAAR know this, so is probably the biggest driving force for them to go taller now.

Only in Dubai! :banana:

Cool! so, the Al Burj can be the next WTB?
The competition makes the buildings taller and taller. :tup:

Nowhereman1280
Nov 25, 2006, 9:24 PM
Al Burj better be at least decent looking, if not, I'll be pretty annoyed, anyone can build a huge structure, but very few can make a graceful, economic, efficiant, and tall building. Malec has a point a 1001 meter cuboid would look like shit and ruin the skyline!

Distill3d
Nov 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
I haven't been real happy with this building. There's nothing real special about it, save its height. "World's Tallest" is great, but that title will eventually be lost. Especailly since we havent seen any facing, I feel like this building is just mediocrity on a grand scale...nothing like what made Burj al Arab a great building.

i'm sure the architects are sorry that they couldn't make it look like the refridgerator boxes the skyscrapers in the USA have been. personally, i love the way this thing looks.

Dalton
Nov 25, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm not too happy with it either.

The setbacks appear way too random and numerous. The developers couldn't settle on a final height - and it shows. It's pretty damn tall though, and will deserve some respect for its audacity and the technological accomplishment. I don't think there's any other place on the globe right now where such a building could be constructed. Perhaps we should be grateful. How it will work for the people who use it remains to be seen. Is it possible to build too tall? This one is getting us closer to the answer, "yes".

malec
Nov 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
Al Burj better be at least decent looking, if not, I'll be pretty annoyed, anyone can build a huge structure, but very few can make a graceful, economic, efficiant, and tall building. Malec has a point a 1001 meter cuboid would look like shit and ruin the skyline!
Al Burj is not so decent looking, it certainly doesn't deserve the title over burj dubai. Al Burj is actually made up of 3 towers connected at various points such as the 6 skylobbies. It's also hollow and will be lit up from the inside so should look great at night. In the day however, it's a giant concrete monolith.
I believe Nakheel have such a big ego (just look at their other projects) that they'd build this even if dubai's property market crashes before then. That's of course if they survive until then.

The latest news on al burj is this:

Contractors jockey for Burj Dubai rival tower scheme
CONSTRUCTION UAE
27 Oct 2006

Local real estate developer Nakheel has selected contractors to work on pre-construction agreements for its Al-Burj project. The tower will form the centrepiece of the first phase of the Dubai Waterfront development and is expected to be one of the tallest in the world. It may even challenge the 800-metre-plus Burj Dubai scheme being developed by the local Emaar Properties . In December last year, Nakheel confirmed that the tower will be at least 700 metres tall (MEED 9:12:05).

Companies working on preconstruction agreements, which involve value engineering and construction planning, include South Korea’s Samsung Corporation , Japan’s Shimizu Corporation and Australia’s Grocon . A US team of Pei Partnership Architects (PPA) and Axis Design Group (ADG) completed the preliminary designs for the tower late last year.

The pre-construction agreements are the latest sign of contract activity at Dubai Waterfront. In September, the joint venture of the local APCC with Vibro Foundation , a wholly-owned subsidiary of France’s Soletanche Bachy , was awarded a ground improvement contract for Palm Jebel Ali, which has been incorporated into the Dubai Waterfront development, and the local Ghantoot Transport & General Contracting was awarded the phase 1 earthmoving contract for phase 1 of Dubai Waterfront. Belgium’s Jan De Nul began working on the dredging package for Dubai Waterfront in July and is close to completing the reclamation and rock placement works for Palm Jebel Ali (MEED 22:9:06).

dubai 1
Nov 26, 2006, 12:54 AM
"2,650' Pinnacle, 1,885' Roof / 162 Storeys " ? ok 1st the roof isnt 1,885'.

Beyond 1000
Nov 26, 2006, 3:53 AM
At this point without the spire, you can look at the height as top of main structure which includes the steel section above the concrete. By Culwulla's diagram BD to "roof" reaches 740m.

I do believe that eventually Al Burj will surpass BD in height. This building will go for the big 1km and then some. Al Burj will probably reach BD's final height to it's roof and then get the spire(s) going. It will be some time however that Al Burj surpasses Burj Dubai. BD will enjoy it's reign for at least five years.

Sky Tower
Nov 26, 2006, 4:50 AM
:previous: I agree. Not only do I think the B.D will exceed 850m in height, but Nakheel certainly have the ordasity and desire to be number one at any cost.

I would put money on this undeveloped spot to challenge the B.D. to the WTB title unless EMAAR does something realy silly and aim for the 1km mark themselves.....which I doubt very much!

I.M.O, Al Burj however has much more scope for more height because of its footprint width and 3 connected tower design. :rolleyes:

vanhenrik
Nov 26, 2006, 5:34 AM
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/progressbar.gifhttp://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-sketch.jpg
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

SD_Phil
Nov 26, 2006, 7:35 AM
^Thanks for that. That does an amazing job of putting it in persepctive. It's amazing that the skeleton looks tall enough as it is and to think there is sooo much left to go.

WonderlandPark
Nov 26, 2006, 7:38 AM
^^^ Amazing photo, holy mother of god that thing is going to be tall.

malec
Nov 26, 2006, 10:26 AM
The picture of the actual tower under construction should be bigger since the mechanical floors don't line up

mightygoose
Nov 26, 2006, 4:24 PM
heh as for the al burj, i think it gonna push the burj dubai past its official height by quite a way. and then nakheel is just gonna throw money at the al burj till that beats it, he wont want to build a building on that scale and cost unless its the biggest.... and to be honest i think the al burj is far more elegant than the burj dubai

Alliance
Nov 26, 2006, 4:35 PM
:previous: :haha: :haha: The CN tower has held the record for 30 some years ... This will hold it for a long time too.

:haha: One apparently forgets the difference between a true-blooded building and a ball on a stick. I'm sorry, but I could care less about what the world's tallest man-made structure is. I care about the worlds tallest functional building.

As there are many more cities that are capable of massive developments, the title will shift more rapidly. Especially since spire count, its very easy to shove a little stick on top and claim worlds tallest.

Fury
Nov 26, 2006, 7:43 PM
:previous: And I, on the other hand, could care less about the WTB record. The World's Tallest Structure record is the big one - even if it is a needle at the top. I hope they stretch it to the limit !! :banana: :cheers:

Alliance
Nov 26, 2006, 7:55 PM
But it has no functional significance. I personally take more interest in buildings that combine form and function. Spires can work artistically, but they can also simply be a worthless tool to raise the "official height"

Regardless, unless the skyscraper market cools down, a taller building will be built. The US seemingly won't be in competition again, because of the 2000 ft cap. However, I can easily see Dubai, Hong Kong, or Beijing building a structure taller than BD in the next ten years. Technically, Dubai already has one in the works.

Fury
Nov 26, 2006, 8:23 PM
Your right - and the 1001 m proposal in Kawait. I agree with the fuctional building thing - and this structure has that. This is also the first structure that will be taller than guyed masts so even if it as thin as a mast it is still the tallest manmade point on earth :yes: Higher = Better :D

A couple of new (old) shots

06 09 23

http://i10.tinypic.com/44jd9gx.jpg

06 11 24

http://i9.tinypic.com/2njdjtl.jpg

:cheers:

mightygoose
Nov 26, 2006, 9:38 PM
when you look at those photos and then look at the progress render you think, wooooooaaaaaaaah shit thats big on a stick

AltinD
Nov 26, 2006, 9:56 PM
It's at level 88 and at a height of 319.68m

Currently the 3rd tallest building in Dubai...

It is actually the FORTH tallest, since the spire was installed on Rose Rotana, giving that building the second spot @333 meters.

dubai 1
Nov 27, 2006, 2:49 AM
^^ nice pic's, i notice a another piece of facade on the 2nd pic:)

vanhenrik
Nov 27, 2006, 3:19 AM
when you look at those photos and then look at the progress render you think, wooooooaaaaaaaah shit thats big on a stick

yess so it is http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-sketch.jpghttp://i9.tinypic.com/2njdjtl.jpg

try to imagine how big this is ! he he he

Construction Updates

November 26th 2006 - Level 89 - Height 323.24m - Currently the 20th tallest highrise building in the world!

To date, there are currently only 5 buildings in the world with more than 89 above ground floors!

http://www.dubaimegaprojects.com/

marcus
Nov 27, 2006, 5:02 AM
I can't believe that they're not even half way!

vanhenrik
Nov 27, 2006, 6:03 AM
I can't believe that they're not even half way!
its going to be intresting to se wen they going to start the cledding
i think they are going to be att 100 - 120`t floor befor bigining to cleding i`t
:banana: :cheers: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :haha:

tuy
Nov 27, 2006, 6:24 AM
I don't think that they will begin the cladding until they determine the final height. They may need to go back and strengthen or expand the lower levels so that they can build it taller.

vanhenrik
Nov 27, 2006, 6:32 AM
I don't think that they will begin the cladding until they determine the final height. They may need to go back and strengthen or expand the lower levels so that they can build it taller.

i think that the final hight is alredy maid but they will not kom out whit that
befor Al Burj is on cunstruktion i think it`s a konpetition betwen burj dubai end Al Burj befor its 2 seperet chejks

rbowk
Nov 27, 2006, 6:49 AM
nice updates but bloody hell it is going to be massive i mean if you think about it it is allready massive

AltinD
Nov 27, 2006, 12:30 PM
The building has NOT reached the 89th floor yet. Someone is being OVER optimist here.

vanhenrik
Nov 28, 2006, 3:39 AM
The building has NOT reached the 89th floor yet. Someone is being OVER optimist here.

haw ken you know that ? dass you hawe a sorse that tells you other wise ?
then i like to know !

chek http://www.dubaimegaprojects.com/

November 28th 2006 - Level 89- Height 323.24m - Currently the 21st tallest highrise building in the world! :banana: :notacrook:

Tom_Green
Nov 28, 2006, 6:44 AM
haw ken you know that ? dass you hawe a sorse that tells you other wise ?
then i like to know !

chek http://www.dubaimegaprojects.com/

November 28th 2006 - Level 89- Height 323.24m - Currently the 21st tallest highrise building in the world! :banana: :notacrook:

He lives in Dubai. A good source, isn`t it?

Nowhereman1280
Nov 28, 2006, 7:45 AM
:previous: And I, on the other hand, could care less about the WTB record. The World's Tallest Structure record is the big one - even if it is a needle at the top. I hope they stretch it to the limit !! :banana: :cheers:

Tallest Structure is what matters eh? Well then the great state of North Dakota has held that for the last 15 years with the KVLY-TV Radio Mast at 2063 ft. That doesn't do much to improve their skyline now does it? Haha.

Alliance, do you realize that there is not a "2000ft cap" in the US, but rather a series of policies that set the usual max height at 2000ft, "except for in cases where a higher structure is greatly in the public interest." So in other words, it is possible to build higher than 2000ft in the US, but you would just have to fill out a few applications and present a case as to why your project needs to be 2000ft and how it is in the best interest of the public to pierce into the lowest level of FAA airspace.

However, I do not think anything taller than 2000' will be built in the US for a long time simpily due to the fact that there is just not the demand or determination to build something so large here. I will stop short of saying, as many do, that the US will never hold the title again because anyone who thinks they have the slightest clue as to what the economic and power breakdown of the world will be in more than 10 years is dillusional. The US could very well catapult forward again once most of the developing countries (mainly China and India) catch up to us in economic status, providing a great deal of benefit from trade. Who knows what will happen, all I know is the world of the future is going to be one exciting place. It'll be fun watching things run their course, hopefully they will continue to lead to great strides forward in engineering and architecture!

Bergenser
Nov 28, 2006, 9:07 AM
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-sketch.jpg

Nice rendering...
This buïlding is gonna be taller than I thought! :D:D

I actully care more about the title WTB than the title WTS(included guyed mast's) or WTFS(world's tallest free-standing structure, not guyed mast's included...)

but the great thing is, BD will have all the height records: WTFS, WTB and WTS. :D

witchypoo
Nov 28, 2006, 2:17 PM
In that diagram of the current progress and the final rendering, the final rendering seems a little exaggerated in the vertical direction, or am I wrong ?

Hopefully the engineering and construction has always been close to specification for this extremely tall building. I wonder how close to tolerance they need to be in the concrete mixture, type of steel, etc... to make the building safe ?

Sky Tower
Nov 28, 2006, 4:33 PM
:previous: That render is scaled at 808m I believe. Even though it's a 2D picture that has no real perspective, it looks not far off to me at all.

ZZ-II
Nov 28, 2006, 4:37 PM
from SSC:

today tuesday 28/11/2006

:)

http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06482/bd1.jpg

http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06482/bd2.jpg

http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06482/bd3.jpg

I will post more pics soon :cheers:

OrientExpress
Nov 28, 2006, 4:42 PM
I'd b a little worried of living that high in the sky 600m. Is a more realistical height limit
unless they want the building to blow over during a strong wind.

Sky Tower
Nov 28, 2006, 5:12 PM
:previous: STOP PRESS, the whole thing's gonna fall over if it's a bit windy!

Someone call EMAAR and let them know, quick! They mustn't have taken this into consideration in the design stage. :koko:

Thanks for the update ZZ-II, a really moody sky too.....I love it!

Carpetking
Nov 28, 2006, 7:34 PM
Wow... i like the Burj Dubai

gttx
Nov 28, 2006, 8:06 PM
unless they want the building to blow over during a strong wind.

lol :haha:

Sky Tower
Nov 28, 2006, 8:12 PM
I see in this shot they're coming along with the pillars (bottom right) for the metro rail line too.

calgary34
Nov 28, 2006, 9:14 PM
Jesus this thing is going to be tall. 162 floors :O :O :O :O is it possible they go over that?

Nowhereman1280
Nov 28, 2006, 11:53 PM
but the great thing is, BD will have all the height records: WTFS, WTB and WTS. :D

It probably will have all of them upon completion, however the question is for how long? Even the developers of Chicago Spire have indicated that the latest redesign of the building might have a roof height of 2000', though they did not indicate if that would entail losing the spire part on top. Granted that was only a suggestion of what changes might be made to make CS more economic, so I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice if Chicago took back the Worlds Highest occupable floor title again a few years after the Sears Tower will be stripped of it.

That raises a somewhat important question, how exactly does one determine the title of "Highest Occupiable Floor"? I mean BD will have floors that are higher than Sears for several months before those floors are actually "occupiable" because those floor plates won't be complete until the wings catch up and because those floors won't actually be usable until the cladding is up and the interior is done. Do titles like that only take effect after the building is finished, or do they figure that, even though the floor is not yet occupiable, it will be occupiable in the future, so it counts anyhow?

I hope they build CS purely because it would be sweet to have a new class of "megatall" spires with the whole white and futuristic theme going on go up across the world. BD and CS would look nice next to each other on the Renderings of the top 25 tallest in the world.

cur_sed
Nov 29, 2006, 12:09 AM
I think you only get the record once the building is complete.
Hence the fact that Pyongyang's Ryugyong Hotel never held the title of the world's tallest hotel.

FrancoRey
Nov 29, 2006, 4:14 AM
I see in this shot they're coming along with the pillars (bottom right) for the metro rail line too.

I am going to laugh when you guys have to be like 5 miles away just to get the whole structure in your camera lens lol :haha: .

By the 150th floor, you'll have to do vertical pano-shots! :lmao:

Sacto
Nov 29, 2006, 4:19 AM
^ That's when a wide angle lens comes in.

robertaas
Nov 29, 2006, 4:42 AM
To date, there are currently only 5 buildings in the world with more than 89 above ground floors!
-Sears Tower: 108 fl/442 m
-Ryugyong Hotel: 105 fl/330 m (unfinished)
-Empire State Building: 102 fl/381 m
-Taipei 101: 101 fl/509 m
-John Hancock Center: 100 fl/344 m
-Shanghai World Financial Center: 91 fl/ (under construction, floors by the 26th of october)
-Eureka Tower: 91 fl/297 m

I may have missed some under construction.

munkyman
Nov 29, 2006, 8:01 AM
Don't know if someone has already posted this information, as it is almost 3 weeks old. Came across it today, thought I'd put it up anyways. It's about the delay in the curtain wall, and how it could delay the project by up to a year.

I pasted the article below, here's link to original:
http://www.itp.net/business/news/details.php?id=22733&category=

Burj Dubai is hit by curtain wall delays

by Sean Cronin

The planned 2008 completion of the Burj Dubai could face delays because of ongoing difficulties in sourcing cladding and changes to the original design of the structure.

The world’s tallest tower has already reached 80 storeys, but curtain walling work has yet to start, leaving the concrete structure of the building exposed to the elements.

The 160-storey Burj Dubai is being built at a cost of around US $900 million (AED3.285 billion) and will form the central feature of the $20 billion Burj Dubai district being developed by Emaar Properties.

The cladding delay, together with recent design changes affecting the overall height of the project, means that contractors Besix, Arabtec and Samsung are likely to seek a time extension to accommodate the extra work.

Schmidlin LLC is contracted to install the cladding on the tower, but Construction Week has learned that tower contractor Besix has approached rival cladding outfit Al Abbar to take on the contract. Al Abbar is already contracted to supply cladding to the podium on the development.

According to the original construction timetable, cladding should have started several months ago to keep pace with progress on the concrete structure – rising at a rate of one floor every three days.

But the collapse of Swiss curtain walling giant Schmidlin, in February, has led to a substantial delay in procuring the exterior of the tower.

The UAE operation of Schmidlin however, remained solvent and was subsequently taken over by a group of local investors, including Geap International, a diversified trading group based in Dubai.

Geap International managing director, Mahendra Patel, said: “The cladding should start in the very near future. We have started fabrication already. There were a lot of design changes with the height.”

But with just 115 weeks to run until the project is due to complete, even if cladding work started tomorrow and was installed at a rate of 1.3 floors per week, the project would still miss its end-of-December-2008 deadline.

A manager at one company already supplying curtain walling on the Burj Dubai development told CW that the ongoing supply problems will have a massive impact on the project completion.

He said: “Normally if the building is reaching level 70, they should have fixed the curtain walling up to level 45. They will never catch up. The whole project looks to be delayed by a year minimum.”

But an Emaar spokesperson insisted that work would be accelarated to keep the project on track. In a statement, the company said: “Progress on the curtain wall subcontract was disrupted by the bankruptcy of Schmidlin’s parent company in Switzerland earlier this year. Acceleration measures are being put in place to ensure the completion date is unaffected.”

The high performance exterior cladding system on the tower has to be fabricated to withstand the massive wind pressures acting on the structure as well as the movement of the tower itself, which will sway by up to 1.5m at its peak.

It also has to withstand the extreme summer temperatures of the Gulf. Primary materials include reflective glazing, aluminium and textured stainless steel spandrel panels.

“We have a problem with the curtain wall, as you can imagine. You can see that the curtain wall is not moving. But there is a plan to get that back on track,” said Besix deputy project director, Ivan Bruyninckkx.

He added: “The final height of the tower will indicate what extra time we will be allowed to work with, because the initial programme was for a certain height and the new height is different from the initial height. So there may be an adjustment of timing, but all of this is not clear yet.

“We are still hitting for substantial completion by the end of 2008 or the early months of 2009,” he said.

Sky Tower
Nov 29, 2006, 5:40 PM
:previous: Thanks for the post munkyman.

I did refer to this and other posts of this nature in the UAE section but I never posted a copy!

Since this information, it has arisen that Al Abbar is to take over the curtain walling from Shmidlin LLC.

ZZ-II
Nov 29, 2006, 5:44 PM
thank you for posting the article

STR
Nov 29, 2006, 6:02 PM
In that diagram of the current progress and the final rendering, the final rendering seems a little exaggerated in the vertical direction, or am I wrong ?

It's a forced perspective, which keeps the vertical walls looking straight vertical, while exageraging the height of the building. It's similar to those maps that make Greenland look as big as Africa.

rbowk
Nov 29, 2006, 9:25 PM
what is a curtain wall

Sky Tower
Nov 29, 2006, 11:32 PM
:previous: It's basically the glass/aluminium exterior, also called cladding!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_wall

Fury
Nov 30, 2006, 4:13 AM
:notacrook: :notacrook: :notacrook:

40 some page powerpoint with the best info ever !!!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

originally posted at SSC...

http://www.fbcdubai.com/mag/Pages_04/April%202006/april.htm#Burj%20Dubai%20Conference

I had to wipe off my moniter !!
have to go read in detail - saved it of course - Enjoy :haha: :D :D :cheers:

dubai 1
Nov 30, 2006, 5:14 AM
:previous: yeah great info, but BIG disappointment

Sky Tower
Nov 30, 2006, 5:36 AM
:omg:....................I'll say it again............:omg:

Fury, I thought you were overdoing it agian with the dancing banana's :banana:, but..........:omg:

Just in case there are young children present I will replace expletives like the 'F' word, with the word SMEG!

Smeg me! This smegging article is the most exciting smegging thing we've ever smegging well seen since in the history of this smegging forum.

I can't smegging believe what the smeg I've just seen! It's absosmegginglutely smeggin great!

This is the most important smegging update we've seen....and it's official. :tup:

I think I just wet myself!!! :haha:

I won't sleep now again for at least a week whilst read this over and over and over again.

From slide 13 to 16 shows the redesigned changes in the increments towards the top.....and the close ups of the spire constuction after that!

Lets smeggin party! :upload_71700:.................apart from dubai 1 who's dissapointed :shrug:......why?

Fury
Nov 30, 2006, 6:00 AM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :haha: :haha: :haha: :D :D

Fury
Nov 30, 2006, 6:27 AM
Lets look at this one ( of many ... ) . 808 meters. Lots of good spire info.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2yotpfm.jpg

There was a time before the Burj that to beat the record by a few feet was big. Now beating it by 300 meters isn't enough ... :koko: :koko:

The Structure of a Lifetime :worship:

Sky Tower
Nov 30, 2006, 8:18 AM
:previous: What's more interesting is that when you download it, it says Burj Tower Presentation Oct '05. If the official design height is now confirmed to have been 808m tall last year; with the recent re-design, it will be even taller still!

They would never have released this if 808m was actually the final height now, as it would spoil the secret.

At least that should end all talk on the 705m version ;)

For the last year I have maintained openly that this building I.M.O will exceed 850m; to the ridicule of a few forumers.

We shall soon see, who gets the last laugh! :yes:

Beyond 1000
Nov 30, 2006, 8:59 AM
:previous: What's more interesting is that when you download it, it says Burj Tower Presentation Oct '05. If the official design height is now confirmed to have been 808m tall last year; with the recent re-design, it will be even taller still!

They would never have released this if 808m was actually the final height now, as it would spoil the secret.

At least that should end all talk on the 705m version ;)

For the last year I have maintained openly that this building I.M.O will exceed 850m; to the ridicule of a few forumers.

We shall soon see, who gets the last laugh! :yes:

Skytower

I'm with you pal. For over a year I have been saying between 830m and 860m for this building. It yet still may hit 900m but only at the end will we truly know the final height.

You got something there. If they want the height to be a secret, then they wouldn't be posting the building being 808m.

vanhenrik
Dec 1, 2006, 7:31 AM
hi i wold like to se more picturs update if thats fine ?

Biff
Dec 1, 2006, 5:08 PM

I know it has been talked about before - i still can't figure out how it is going to be that tall. I mean it is approx half way currently, and look how skinny it is getting already. I know what they are building is the core right now, but they are basically ready to put cladding on the bottom portion of the building. It isn't planned to become any wider at the base. To build twice the height they are currently at the top portions will be all core, and even that seems too skinny.

Can anyone please explain (again if already) how there will be any floor space at all above where the construction is currently at.

malec
Dec 1, 2006, 5:17 PM
At the height it has reached now, there'll be more space than what's been built so far since the wings still have to catch up, also the nose sections are even further behind. I photoshopped one of these photos before to show this, it's in the other thread somewhere. The ratio will be about 10 to 1 though so very thin tower

mightygoose
Dec 1, 2006, 5:23 PM
actually int it nearer a third if you include the spire

Ryan81
Dec 1, 2006, 7:38 PM
Biff,

A while back (you'll have to search for it as i did not take the liberty to find it) Someone posted a photoshopped image of Burj Dubai. The image showed what the tower would look like if the wings were completed to the height of the core. It really helped to illustrate what Malec has just described above. It would be cool if the Member who first submitted his doctored image, could do so again at the building's current height.

Fury
Dec 1, 2006, 11:12 PM
Hi all.
Some thoughts from the new ppt info on the recent changes to the structure...

There is 4 pics of the steel structure that are clearly the old 705 meter render. The best 2 are a format I can't post ( emf and wmf ) but if you save them they zoom in big time. They clearly show 705 height.

These next 2 pics show the flat roof at tier 19 before continuing up - again this is the old render.

http://i10.tinypic.com/49aulpd.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2vvnrj7.jpg

Now look at this pic. I stretched the height to somewhat proper...

http://i16.tinypic.com/43f8e15.jpg

This one shows us the 808 meter height and the elaborate plan to jack up the spire. Me thinks this is the big change that has all the contractors scrambling. Now that they are making room to jack it up, we get our 808 meter height !! :yes:

Structure of a Lifetime :cheers:

Sky Tower
Dec 2, 2006, 2:21 AM
:previous: Good work Fury!

They did the same with Taipai 101; they kept on adding new floors underneath and jacking it up to give a height 40m higher than originally thought! I think the same thing will happen here! :tup:

vanhenrik
Dec 2, 2006, 11:15 PM
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/dubai-aerials-1973-2006.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-presentation-1.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-presentation-2.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-presentation-3.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-presentation-4.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-presentation-5.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

somone hawe fun http://www.venturebank.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/pictures/Debra%20Rice%20Donald%20Trump%20and%20Anna%20in%20Aspen.jpg

rbowk
Dec 2, 2006, 11:23 PM
nice pics

CGII
Dec 2, 2006, 11:28 PM
Looks like it'll be getting an almost identical window treatment as TTC.

malec
Dec 3, 2006, 12:22 AM
I think someone said that before, that this would be getting a similar facade but lighter (or maybe TTC is lighter, can't remember)

ZZ-II
Dec 3, 2006, 5:43 PM
a few shot's by AltinD:

Dec 3rd - Click to enlarge

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/64/f157862a90ae9913da9273a697d4db64.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751391/picture-hosting/bd.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/4b/df511c624c48b4c5532a98e4aeee7b4b.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751392/picture-hosting/bd-1.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/7c/78000284df2f92bc3ea294f1552cf47c.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751393/picture-hosting/bd-2.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/07/c196e47193513f7e214f69797df30d07.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751394/picture-hosting/bd-3.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/a1/082c4fecad6dc3ffc0ba98a26d6188a1.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751395/picture-hosting/bd-4.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/46/955a630afd846957f24c3eb0dba96546.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751396/picture-hosting/bd-5.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/7a/0527f8efffd02ecb36d26b437f61aa7a.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751397/picture-hosting/bd-6.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/db/1c5c8943fd6a21f1b791034b151b2fdb.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751398/picture-hosting/bd-7.php)

http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/4a/45815b0d943ad4b5f228e725be662a4a.th.jpg (http://server4.pictiger.com/img/751399/picture-hosting/bd-8.php)

vanhenrik
Dec 3, 2006, 6:06 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3118/untitled11zg.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Burj_dubai.jpg

Construction Updates

December 3rd 2006 - Level 91 - Height 330.50m - Currently the 20th tallest highrise building in the world!

akording to http://www.dubaimegaprojects.com/

malec
Dec 3, 2006, 6:25 PM
^^ That diagram has changed quite a bit

STR
Dec 4, 2006, 5:49 PM
HA! I was right. I picked each of the setbacks almost perfectly. I pegged the height months ago (Original model posted over 8 months ago (http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-model/burj-model.html)). I was completely right about the floors, and the height.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9433/ssuh5.jpg

Sky Tower
Dec 4, 2006, 7:21 PM
:previous: I think there's some wizardry going on here. :haha:

Well done. Have you thought that maybe they copied your design instead? :shrug:

STR, knowing that the building will now be taller still (as the official height release from the PDF file was show in May last year.....which is now confirmed by many official sources stating the building will be much higher still), do you have an alternate render, changing the building's 808m height to a newly inspired, wizard-like magic number?

I know I asked you this question some months ago but; do you think 808m is the final height, or are you swayed to thinking it might be higher now?

You kinda bit my head off for saying such a thing when I suggested that I thought it would be higher, as baseless, but I did have my own reasons!

I just remember early last year you were adament it was to be 705m, later on being adament it was 808m.

I am adament it will be considerably higher.

What are your thoughts now?

Indescribable
Dec 5, 2006, 3:24 AM
So is it confirmed to be 808m or is that an older design?

Indy

vanhenrik
Dec 5, 2006, 3:48 PM
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-03-05.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-03-08.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-03-09.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-03-02.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-03-03.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/11/burj-dubai-tower-nov-17-03.jpg

a reminder of the gigantenes of the projekt

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/burj-dubai-sketch.jpg

burj dubai lake hotel

two photos of Burj Dubai Lake Hotel (going to be 306m tall, 60 storeys)

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/11/burj-dubai-lake-hotel-nov-12.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-lake-hotel-1.jpg

:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :upload_71700: :notacrook:

by the way 286 structures is under construction in dubai akording to skyscraperpage.com

KingKrunch
Dec 5, 2006, 3:52 PM
^ very nice :)

DUBAI2015
Dec 6, 2006, 5:44 AM
How's that for an update! :previous: Good Job :tup:

Lecom
Dec 6, 2006, 7:21 AM
So is the Lake Hotel gonna be just about the current height of BD?

Sky Tower
Dec 6, 2006, 1:58 PM
:previous: It sure is!

Nice updates Vanhenrik :tup:

Now at 334.14m at Level 92, it is now the 2nd tallest building in Dubai, just surpassing the Rose Rotana.

Currently the 16th tallest highrise building in the world! :banana:

Bergenser
Dec 6, 2006, 4:02 PM
Great update Vanhenrik!
Soon, Burj Dubai will be the tallest structure in Dubai! :D

malec
Dec 6, 2006, 4:23 PM
:previous: It sure is!

Nice updates Vanhenrik :tup:

Now at 334.14m at Level 92, it is now the 2nd tallest building in Dubai, just surpassing the Rose Rotana.

Currently the 16th tallest highrise building in the world! :banana:
I know I've said this before but aren't you a bit optimistic about it being on the 92nd floor? Remember, the first two that are visible are basements so don't count.

-GR2NY-
Dec 6, 2006, 4:42 PM
Imagine some of the citizens who drive past it everyday but dont know anything about it, wondering when its going to stop growing. Its already enormous, I wonder what they'll be thinking when the height is doubled and triped this!!

vanhenrik
Dec 6, 2006, 5:11 PM
Great update Vanhenrik!
Soon, Burj Dubai will be the tallest structure in Dubai! :D
no in the world

Sky Tower
Dec 6, 2006, 7:12 PM
.....aren't you being optomistic about it being on the 92nd floor?
:previous: No, not really! The height of the building is not the height of the finished floor!
Athough the actual finished floor is L90, the current finished height of the top of building's core structure (excluding the steel reinforcing, poking out of the top) is where the 92nd floor will be.
The floor/average is the best way to do this as it is a constant, until the next set of mech floors. :tup:

Sky Tower
Dec 6, 2006, 10:05 PM
Today, 6th December

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2704/5qk8.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/895/burjdubaiqf6.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8605/burjdubai1tw8.jpg
Halawala

vanhenrik
Dec 6, 2006, 10:32 PM
:banana: http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-06.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-08.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-09.jpg

burj dubai lake hotel

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-11.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-12.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/12/burj-dubai-tower-dec-06-13.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/model/burj-dubai-model-cityscape-1.jpg

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2006/model/burj-dubai-model-cityscape-2.jpg

its begining to be the end of this year i wonder haw mutch they is going to bi finiched with to the end of the next year ???

end how mutch they ar going to start with

DUBAI2015
Dec 7, 2006, 1:29 AM
Awesome model! ^

Nowhereman1280
Dec 7, 2006, 5:17 AM
For those of you who don't follow the Chicago Spire thread, there has just been what could be either good or bad news for BD.

The bad news is the redesign of the CS has the roof height at 2000' which would beat out the current roof height of BD. I'm still amazed that CS might beat BD on one of the height records.

Here is the good news of this announcement, developers in Dubai are very competative and obsessed with records so (hopefully) this competition will cause them to further increase the height of BD so as to get all the height records with it.

I know there has been speculation that BD may end up higher than our current numbers, but if thats not yet the case, this CS news might help them change their minds and make BD even higher! Here's to hoping!

forumly_chgoman
Dec 7, 2006, 5:53 AM
For those of you who don't follow the Chicago Spire thread, there has just been what could be either good or bad news for BD.

The bad news is the redesign of the CS has the roof height at 2000' which would beat out the current roof height of BD. I'm still amazed that CS might beat BD on one of the height records.

Here is the good news of this announcement, developers in Dubai are very competative and obsessed with records so (hopefully) this competition will cause them to further increase the height of BD so as to get all the height records with it.

I know there has been speculation that BD may end up higher than our current numbers, but if thats not yet the case, this CS news might help them change their minds and make BD even higher! Here's to hoping!

A battle of dueling cocks....bring it on......to paraphrase Dubya

malec
Dec 7, 2006, 4:02 PM
This is great news and nothing but great news.

Hopefully this'll push for more floors in the steel structure so it's not topped by a 600ft spire.

edit: BD's roof is at 643m anyway from the latest diagrams. Sure the last floors are mechanical but it's probably be the same with the CS

Sky Tower
Dec 7, 2006, 6:35 PM
:previous: Strange how a Chi-townian is cheering for Dubai! :tup:

But either way it's good news!

skymetalscraper
Dec 7, 2006, 6:37 PM
no cladding yet ?

Nowhereman1280
Dec 7, 2006, 6:39 PM
Just because we are from Chicago doesn't mean we don't want tall buildings built everywhere! Heck the more competition the taller our buildings will get! Go Chicago! Go Dubai!

P.S. Malec, are those most recent BD renderings in this thread anywhere? If not, where can I go to see them, I would like to know exactly what they are thinking right now for heights. I wonder exactly how tall BD will end up being.

malec
Dec 7, 2006, 6:49 PM
There's a very detailed diagram showing the exact height, roof height and height of concrete core here:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/896/s2in3.jpg

BINARY SYSTEM
Dec 7, 2006, 7:10 PM
I hope now everybody will stop sucking BD's d*ck knowing that the Chicago Spire floor height will be at a greater height. Thats what really counts considering that the Sears Tower is technically the tallest in the world if antennas are counted but isnt listed as the WTB. Maybe now people will have Chicago Spire member names.....LO

Bergenser
Dec 7, 2006, 7:53 PM

That's good news, :tup:
I would really like to see Burj Dubai increasing the roof height!

Sky Tower
Dec 7, 2006, 8:02 PM
:previous: Well, with the increased floor heights from L74, the roof height looks like it's gonna be at least 720m/2362ft