PDA

View Full Version : Spokane/ CDA development discussions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

InlandEmpire
Oct 21, 2006, 7:39 PM
^
Yeah I agree with you there- Liberty Lake is growing and turning out really well... I would live there with no problem. My old employer- Greenstone Corp. of Libery Lake are beginning a really great developement on the river in LL... it will have a cool 'urban village' vibe.

www.greenstonehomes.com/RiverDistrict/

chepe
Oct 25, 2006, 6:18 PM
Article from today's Spokesman discusses the development ideas/potential for East Sprage between the U-District and Hospital District.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=156280

The close in East Sprague corridor is ripe for some really cool development (see RenCorp's remodel of the Western Soap building) but it is crucial to connect the area to the U-District and to the downtown core by getting over/under the railroad and Division street.

Some quotes from the article:

"North of the railroad tracks that parallel Sprague Avenue, just blocks east of Division Street, the new buildings and manicured lawns of the University District hint at the thousands of students expected in coming years.

"If a pedestrian bridge were to span these tracks, only a short walk or bicycle ride would separate this neighborhood east of downtown Spokane from the emerging campus. Because of that proximity, the city of Spokane has launched a $90,000 study to determine how best to develop a six-block stretch of East Sprague and East First avenues so that it complements the growing U-District."

"Just across the railroad tracks from the neighborhood, the city has plans to extend Riverside Avenue east from Division, eventually connecting with Trent Avenue. The U-District master plan also envisions light rail running along that area. Division and Sprague has been identified as a "problematic intersection" not conducive to walking or bicycle-riding."

"'From my standpoint, the critical component is that pedestrian bridge,' said Bruce Butterworth, owner of Contract Design Associates at 402 E. Sprague Ave. and a business leader in the neighborhood. "The bridge has gotta come first."

urbanlife
Oct 25, 2006, 7:16 PM
I agree, a bridge has to come before development. Next the area would need a safeway.

sg2
Oct 25, 2006, 10:58 PM
Or Trader Joe's? Dont forget about the opportinities that exist at the old Costco site on Third.

Trebor of Spokane
Oct 26, 2006, 6:47 AM
http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=eupdate&sub=354

10/24/2006
High-rise north bank project planned ...
SRM Development LLC, of Spokane, plans to develop a $150 million mixed-use residential and office complex on the YWCA property, located at the southeast corner of Lincoln Street and Broadway Avenue, according to a news release issued today and representatives of San Diego-based KMA Architecture & Engineering. The release says KMA has been hired to design the project. The Spokesman-Review reported earlier that SRM bought the property for $4 million. The property is located just north of an Anthony's restaurant and overlooks the Spokane River. The release says the project is to include twin 14-story residential towers, with a total of 225 living units, and a 40,000-square-foot office building. It says the finished complex will have about 10,000 square feet of ground-level retail and commercial space, a large public plaza with views of the river, and three or four levels of underground parking.

Dazzeetrader
Oct 26, 2006, 7:15 AM
Anyone see a site plan or design for this project? If there is 225 units planned AND the average sq footage of each is 1000 sq feet, unless I missed my math....this comes to 225,000 sq ft of living space? Seems like an awful lot. Love to see the proposed buildings. Challenging plan....especially if one adds on the commercial/retail space. Anyone know about the plans? Dazzee

urbanlife
Oct 26, 2006, 8:26 AM
well if you check the website for the architecture firm, they have some decent mix use projects. Nothing to write home about, but good buildings. That will have a huge impact for that area.

The site and plan for it is rather simple do to the size of the lot. Just figure two towers standing next to each other that look fairly similar to each other with a large base covering the site. Very simple.

RemiO
Oct 26, 2006, 3:24 PM
Comparing KMA's work to the Davenport Tower, I'm ready to accept them as saints.

Trebor of Spokane
Oct 27, 2006, 4:57 PM
New Renderings of One Fifty-Three Wall Street Condominiums have been posted on Priums website:

http://www.priumcompanies.com/page.php?id=116

New Article from Spokane Journal of Buisness on T.W Clark Being chosen as Contractor for this condo project.

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2938
I hope the building use the bluish mirrored class that the rendering depict. It would be nice to have something with a bit of more color downtown.

Also I was downtown on tues (24th) and notices that there was some serious internal demolition going on at the Rookery Building, and that they had opened a large 3rd hole in the south side of the building. Looked like the building was about ready to come down.

Hopefully it and the Mohawk come down doon and someone can work out a reasonable price and put up a large mixed use building there. It is just the perfect Location for Spokanes tallest building. 30-35 floors would look awesome there for the skyline of Spokane. With the VOX Tower on the east end, and two new twin 14 floor condos on the north bank, and then the high rises on the east end of Kendall Yards. WOW!! Anyone here if the Parks Dept. had purchased the Ymca proptery on Post that there was a proposed 14 floor condo next to Riverfront Park. Has that project been Killed off? Also any news about the condo that was proposed over on west Riverside overlooking Peaceful Valley. Last I heard there was going to be some possible litigation attempt. Well enough daydreaming, morning break over with, back to work.

Have a great weekend every one.

Trebor

:cheers:

Hub for an Empire
Oct 27, 2006, 7:32 PM
I agree that blue mirrored glass would look good on the One Fifty -Three building Trebor. Especially, since the WA Trust building is hid on the south by the new Davenport Tower! A variation of colors is important for the skyline.

Have to admit that the variation of windows on the top floor of the Davenport Tower does improve it a bit.

Glad to hear about the new Condo highrises at the YWCA site. Sounds like Spokane is moving ahead!

We just need to have a super tall Commercial tower downtown on the Rockery Block, with or without the Rookery/Mohawk buildings! ...to be without question the tallest building in Spokane! Not many vacant lots in downtown, in a good location, for a good sized commercial project.

urbanlife
Oct 27, 2006, 7:38 PM
I keep telling you guys, expect the Rookery block to stay vacant for a long time. What is Reugh's asking price for the lot without the buildings? He was dumb enough to turn down 4 million with buildings on the site, there is no way in hell he is going to get 4 million or more for that site once those buildings are gone. No developer is dumb enough to pay for buildings that are not there.

That land is currently worth about a million dollars, and if you go about a block east of the Rookery to Washington there are two huge sites that would be perfect for Spokane's tallest buildings.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 28, 2006, 1:48 AM
True Urban, with Wendall I really don't expect anything any more, but I do think the block is in the center of downtown, so I do hope , at some point, there will be some type of development there! Wendall can't live on forever.

It's a crime if the Reugh's hold the community hostage and doesn't do anything with the block. At this point, I don't expect or trust anything they say. I'm not sure even they know what they want for the block.

I still can hope something will happen there in the future!

urbanlife
Oct 28, 2006, 8:25 AM
oh in the future something will happen there hub. But just like the surface lots along Spokane Falls, a couple of those are owned by people who are waiting for that day some developer gives them millions of their parking lots. Basically when they die and pass these properties on to their kids who will be "screw it, I am making cash on these properties now," will that really change for Spokane.

I will laugh if a developer buys the Rookery block for anything less than 4million because Wells was offering him something like 4.2 million and the idiot turned it down.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 28, 2006, 5:10 PM
I do agree with you to a degree Urban. I just think the block makes the most sense for the tallest building next to the Bank of America Building. Time will tell there! I don't believe the Reughs, and feel they don't really care that much for the community. $$$$. I know you want the sites developed by Spokane Falls Blvd. also. Less Parking lots is always nice.

I was thinking about the twin - 14 story highrises at the YWCA site, since that site is a bit higher than downtown, I'm wondering if they will be seen from the distance driving west on I-90 and they might give the appearance of being taller than the Bank of America building. Glad something is happening on the North side of downtown and I can watch it progress when I drive south!

Good to see progress coming to Spokalu!

Hub for an Empire
Oct 29, 2006, 12:22 AM
In the JOB this week, there was the article about Spokane International Airport being under-utilized for Passengers/Cargo. This is good news for the future. I found it interesting the Spokane International Airport has 20 percent of available land around Washington State's airports! I think with the Geiger Railroad Spur coming on line in 2007, we will see more growth on the West Plains and this will encourage Manufacturing and Aviation related business to explore the area.
I disagree with the airport's Director about not encouraging airlines to add new routes out of GEG though! Spokane is positioned to have increased regional routes to regional cities, as Sea-Tac gets more crowded. It makes fares lower to have more competition and flexibility for weekend trips and encourages commerce between other areas of the country.

The TRACE/ Rotunda project should be done by Thanksgiving, per past articles.

Here is the article......FLY GEG! :

From Page One The issue dated October 26, 2006

Airport here using fraction of capacity Printer-Friendly Version
SIA has plenty of room for passenger, cargo growth, report finds

By Kim Crompton

A passenger jet lands at Spokane International Airport this week. The airport's goal, says Director Neal Sealock, is to make itself "as attractive as possible" to the aviation industry.

Spokane International Airport is using only about a third of its passenger capacity and just 1 percent of its cargo capacity, says a draft technical report by the Washington state Department of Transportation.

The report also says that Spokane County is approaching full utilization of its current aircraft storage capacity, with less than 11 percent of reserve available, but has almost 20 percent of the state’s undeveloped land capacity next to airports.

The recent release of the 236-page document concludes the first phase of a long-term air transportation study initiated by the Legislature last year to determine whether airports across the state meet air transportation needs.

SIA Director Neal Sealock contends, though, that the report isn’t accurate. He says that its use of the word capacity “differs from page to page,” creating an inaccurate picture and apples-to-oranges comparisons, and he predicts that the capacity-percentage numbers in it will change before a final version of it is released.

That big caveat aside, he says he views the figures positively in that, “I think it does point to our position that we do clearly have capacity in cargo and air passengers. We’re well-positioned to take advantage of that, in a reliever status or some other way.” Airport officials here have said in the past that they’d like to see SIA become a routinely used cargo reliever for the increasingly jammed airports on the West Side.

“We have no control over what the passenger air carriers try to do,” in terms of increasing operations here, Sealock says. He adds, however, “Our goal is to make it as attractive as possible for them.” SIA has informed the airlines, for example, that it won’t be raising the fees it charges them in 2007.

“The future of airports is making themselves attractive enough for a challenged industry,” Sealock says.

Rich Hadley, president and CEO of the Spokane Regional Chamber of Commerce, says he hasn’t seen the long-term air transportation study. He says his impression, though, is that the air-travel industry has been rebounding following a downturn after 9/11, and he says he shares Sealock’s view that the capacity figures suggest SIA is in good shape to accommodate added traveler, cargo, and development demand as it occurs.

“It means we have a big, big physical plant with lots of potential, which is much better than the opposite,” he says.

In a nutshell, the draft air transportation study found that all of the evaluated airports across the state have adequate passenger and cargo capacity except for Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Boeing Field/King County International Airport, and the Tri-Cities Airport.

Sea-Tac and Tri-Cities, both at 68 percent passenger capacity, exceed the 60 percent threshold identified by the Federal Aviation Administration to initiate planning for new facilities. In fact, both airports have nearly reached the 70 percent capacity at which the FAA recommends additional capacity should be in place. The report also found that the Bellingham airport is showing signs of passenger capacity constraints.

In cargo, Boeing Field-King County International Airport and Sea-Tac were the only airports in the state found in the report not to have ample capacity. The report says, though, that given the distribution of population in the Puget Sound area and economic influences driving cargo at those airports, “it may be difficult to relocate future cargo activity” to other airports in the state that have available capacity.

The second phase of the air transportation study now is under way and will include 25-year activity forecasting and market analysis. It’s scheduled to be completed next July, and any needed revisions to the first-phase report also will be made at that time, a state DOT spokeswoman says.

The third and final phase of the study will include the appointment of a 10-member airport planning council that will identify priority areas in the state for aviation development and investment, and will make recommendations to the governor. The legislative deadline for completion of that phase is July 2009.

In its Spokane Region numbers, the first-phase report says SIA enplaned 746 passengers an hour at its peak last year, which it put at 34 percent of the airport’s capacity of 2,205 passengers an hour. It says the airport enplaned 55,347 tons of cargo last year, or 1 percent of an estimated total capacity of 4.28 million tons.

For report purposes, it identified all of Spokane County—and five airports within the county—as the Spokane Region. Along with SIA, the listed airports were Felts Field, Mead Flying Service, Deer Park Municipal, and Cross Winds, an airfield northeast of Deer Park.

The report listed SIA and Deer Park Municipal as having 1,189 and 1,100 acres, respectively, of adjacent undeveloped land, which was more than all but a few of the other evaluated airports in the state.

The Spokane Region was one of four geographic areas that are receiving more detailed analysis in the study than the rest of the state because they’re population, employment, and economic centers. The others were the Puget Sound Region, Southwest Washington Region, and Tri-Cities Region.

Trebor of Spokane
Oct 30, 2006, 7:07 AM
I got thinking about the twin 14 story building on the ywca property and was thinking that one of two things would probably happen with this project.

1. project gets scaled back
2. never happens

please dont take me as i am being negative about spokane or this project. But i think that this project has a few negatives against it. I would love to see this project happen.

things that are going to impact this project:

1. YWCA is still there
2. YWCA and YMCA need to raise 25 million before they can build there new comined facility.
3. once they raise this money, the facility still needed to be built.
4. probably three years (2009-2010) before we see the possibilty of the land being cleared for construction.
5. kendall yards eastern border only meer blocks from this project and likely starting way before this project.

Basically i think this project is high hopes and that lots of other projects will come online or start before this project has a chance. most of the market will probably be saturated. we need to see a lot more high wage jobs and entrepenual enterprises come on line in this town before there might be a need for this many high end luxury condos. i think for the next five to six years we will only see about 2-3 new condo building builtbesides what we see in Kendall Yards. The rest will be conversions of existing structures. then after the 5-6 years after most of the older building fill up then we will start to see more middle end condo buiding being built and apartment building for the people you wnat to live down town but cant aford the middle end of the condo market.

If the land on the YWCA site was clear today, i really believe this would be built now and would be profitable and needed. but its timing, location, and size are all wrong.

Hopefully i am wrong and in 3 years we see this project start. what do you all think about my thoughts on this?

urbanlife
Oct 30, 2006, 7:52 PM
Trebor you could be right about this one, guess we will have to wait and see.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 31, 2006, 3:05 AM
I think it's great other people and other firms from outside the area are getting involved with development in Spokane. True, everything is relative, and timing plays an important role in development issues. No one can predict how the market will be for Condos in a few years or what the local or national economy will be like in a few years. Need I say about interest rates! I do think that we are at the beginning of the Condo craze and boom times in Spokane, so I think it will last for several years. True, Supply and Demand of Condos will dictate the Prices and right now they are elevated.

It is close to Kendall Yards, but the view from the site will be good of downtown. Like any project, you can't count on it until they break ground.

hcnate
Nov 1, 2006, 1:27 AM
Not to be outdone by our friends in the greater Seattle area and their WaMu towner, the Lincoln Building now has its top lit.

ghost22
Nov 4, 2006, 5:46 AM
has anyone seen the project proposed on the northest corner of the northwest blvd/ hwy 95 interchange in cda looks like 2 or 3, 7 story towers with 3 or 4 smaller buildings. i cant find any info on it since i have forgot the name of the development. also i being a hunter am happy to see the spokane journal story about cabellas chosing a site to build a 125,000 sq ft store in post falls near the stateline, accompanied by an additional 800,000 sq ft shopping center. unless this is for larger tenants though i fear for it since the outlet malls already cant fill space. anyone with info on the above project please elaborate.

Trebor of Spokane
Nov 8, 2006, 12:15 AM
I was downtown yesterday afternoon and noticed that the fence had been exended from the south and west side of the rookery block all the way around to the north and included the mohawk building. This would indicate to me that at the least the rookery is comming down within a few days. followed by the Mohawk. its going to look pretty empty down there soon!

urbanlife
Nov 8, 2006, 9:20 AM
that is going to be such a horrible hole to have in the heart of the city. A scar the city will have to live with for quite a while.

Seeing the current assessment for the land stands at $1,815,700 for the land without the buildings. He was offered $4.8 million?! What a moron! Who in there right mind would give this man $5 million for this lot without the buildings there? The most he will see offers for is about $2.2 million, if he is lucky. No one is going to pay for buildings that don't exist!

Besides, that area is the heart of town right now, but who's to say some outside developers don't come in and turn those lots along Washington and Bernard into towers and make that the new heart of the city, seeing as it is closer to the convention center.

Reugh should of taken the money and run and realized he was getting a sweet offer for much more than what those buildings and that land was worth to begin with.

CrimsonW
Nov 8, 2006, 8:58 PM
This is in no way any sort of defense of Mr. Reugh...but I believe his stated reason for rejecting the Wellses offer was that it required Reugh to carry too much of the purchase price for too long of a period.

That tells me the Wellses weren't putting enough down for Mr. Reugh's liking and the contract/note he was going to carry had too long of a payment period. That and possibly part of the deal was tied to the success of the project.

So it may be that $2.5m cash up front is a more attractive offer than $4+m paid out over x number of years; especially given Mr. Reugh's age and what are likley his estate tax issues.

I don't know any details of the deal with the Wellses or of Mr. Reugh's personal situation...this is all just surmising on my part...but I think there's probably some validity to it.

I don't think that real estate will stay vacant for long. There's a dearth of new Class A space in downtown and that spot seems ripe for a mixed use project of retail/office/living space.

We'll see.

revrw
Nov 8, 2006, 9:17 PM
^ I do agree with your assessment somewhat Crimson, but it is really hard to say what will happen. The good thing going for Spokane is that we are seeing alot more "outside" investors, which is what the city needs. I welcome any new tower in that location, weather it be residential, commercial, or a combination of both. I do prefer commercial in that location and the building needs to be iconic and really define Spokane's skyline.

O.T. I can't believe Spokanites rejected both light rail ballot issues. This is something they will regret in 15 years!!!!! :( I guess that STA can now soley focus on a downtown trolley system.:yes:

urbanlife
Nov 8, 2006, 9:23 PM
that could be true Crimson about what the Wells were offering. I have also heard that Reugh is a very stubborn person to deal with and that many developers would rather buy elsewhere than to work with him.

Personally I would love to see development move east. There is several lots that could really change the landscape of the downtown. I guess in the end I have little faith in this lot getting redeveloped any time soon, but at least it will serve as a legacy from Mr. Reugh.

Also personal background from me, I have seen many times in history, lots like this stay vacant for decades, even with that promise of redevelopment. Look at the number of parking lots in downtown Spokane and think about how many of them have had big proposals for them. Everyone has big dreams for these lots, but if no one builds on them, they are just another hole in the urban fabric.

Personally I see those lots along Spokane Falls getting redeveloped before the Rookery block, and there are no near future proposals for the Falls blocks yet.

urbanlife
Nov 8, 2006, 9:27 PM
they rejected both light rail issues?? Wow, that is short sighted. Well how about a bond for a freeway on the west side of the city and one for the south hill? They are gonna need it without light rail.

Well hopefully the STA can build an extensive trolley system downtown and the inner neighborhoods. I really think the less the Spokanites get to vote on, the better it is for them. They have no idea what kind of damage they have caused their city by shooting those two issues down. Oh well.

chepe
Nov 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
What is even more troubling is that yes votes would not have caused any taxes to be assessed for the light rail, they were just advisory votes. I blame some of the outcome on the voters being shortsighted but I also place a good portion of the blame on the STA board for rushing this onto the ballot in a confusing way. The two questions presented were unclear (if you don't follow light rail development closely, which I'm guessing a vast amount of people in Spokane don't). Moreover, the questions were included at such a late date there was little or no time to educate the public on what they were voting for (or against). It is pretty well established that if something on a ballot is confusing or not well known, most voters will vote no. I just don't think the no votes represent the community's true feelings about light rail (or at least that is what I'd like to believe).

I agree that a streetcar system might make more sense in the short term anyway.

InlandEmpire
Nov 8, 2006, 11:55 PM
I thought this newest image from the city of CDA's webcam was cool- it shows the construction site of the new library, the Parkside tower, and in the background you can see that little 5ish story building that popped up- there should be a couple more floors on it before all is said and done. Those condos look like they'll be ready quickly. I wish I could have a condo on Sherman :( Fun to see anyway.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6749/netcamug8.jpg

Hub for an Empire
Nov 9, 2006, 3:46 AM
I actually thought the Light Rail issues did very well, without any advertisement or education! 45% to 46% in favor seems pretty good since the Pro-Light Rail Folks only had around $1000 for the campaign. I'm wondering where the local leaders were on the issue? Seems like it really would have stimulated the economy even more! It might have got more votes with Leader support!
Anyway, I heard the issue isn't dead yet on T.V. , so you might want to contact your local leaders to voice your support!
I'm sure we will hear about Light Rail in the future......$4.00 a gallon gas is only a few years away and with the Baby Boomers retiring a few years away......so it's either Urban transportation or older folks behind the wheel in a much Larger and congested Spokane!

I would like to see downtown Spokane move east Urban, but still want the current center to be protected and maintained. If you view downtown from Cliff Drive it just makes sense to have more development east of Stevens Street.

Nice picture of CDA, Inland! Looks like things are advancing nicely.

sustainable
Nov 9, 2006, 7:17 PM
Chepe, i think that you're right. STA board was just plain foolish on this one. This was not a required vote and in a poor attempt to bring fiscal transparency to an organization of such poor vision they thought that a non-required public advisory vote on a pretty small amount of funding was the way to go even though virtually no public information was given about this. I agree with the above - having 45% or so still say yes is pretty good for the spokane public. I don't blame the people on this one, I think the responsibility lies with STA. Spokane is a city in which folks want their (our) taxes as low as is humanly possible even if it means it will take fire trucks five minutes longer to get to my house. In this environment to ask your voters to say yes to something that will cost them money even though they don't perceive the value is just plain foolish.

ghost22
Nov 10, 2006, 5:13 AM
ya that building in the backround is actually on either the 8th or 7th floor right now. one story is hidden by the lower buildings. i beleive it is the 8th.

another note. my little and may i add dumb for doing it brother climbed the larger crane on the site. he did it at night and thank god didnt fall or get caught by the police

I dont think gas will get to 4$ a gallon. opec saw what happened when it got over 3. we are very close to having technology to be away with them. as long as they keep rates low the pace to replace will slow down.

Trebor of Spokane
Nov 11, 2006, 5:22 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://voxtower.com/
:cheers:

and on another note, the demolition of the Rookery began yesterday 11-10-06. the southeast portion was gone last night.

urbanlife
Nov 11, 2006, 10:56 PM
I am so not looking forward to visiting Spokane for Christmas. Downtown is going to feel so depressing with this new hole. It is bad enough with the current amount of surface lots, when I go from being in Portland to Spokane, but this is just going to make that feeling worse.

Good news indeed on the Vox. I can't wait for construction to start on it.....Like I said, smart developers are going to start moving to the lots on the east end of downtown because it is much easier to work with.

Oh and what happen to like 5 or 6 posts that were in here? Someone get upset and delete them?
haha, no what, they are on page 17. This thread has really grown, I can't keep track anymore.

Smentek
Nov 12, 2006, 6:56 AM
Does anyone know what is going on with the plans at the YMCA? Did the Parks Board come up with the money or not?
And what's happening with the peaceful valley tower?

revrw
Nov 12, 2006, 8:46 AM
^ haven't heard any news lately on either, but I am fairly certain that the parks board has blocked that deal. As far as the peaceful valley tower is concerned, I have not heard any news at all. I was wondering about that myself.

James Bond Agent 007
Nov 12, 2006, 9:29 AM
I am so not looking forward to visiting Spokane for Christmas.
Yeah, and take some pictures, dammit. :mad:

urbanlife
Nov 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, and take some pictures, dammit. :mad:

don't worry, I plan to.

Hub for an Empire
Nov 12, 2006, 4:33 PM
I can relate Urban about your feelings about the Rookery Block. I said my goodbye last week. What a loss...but I guess I can't save the world.
At least with the Davenport Tower there is one less parking lot in downtown Spokane and with the upcoming One Fifty-Three Wall Street Building there will be another one gone too! :)

I think the Park board is planning on buying the YMCA site, which I am glad. That would make a canyon feeling between the other high rises on the other side of the river and lose valuable land in Riverfront Park, which needs to be protected. On top of that, if a highrise was built there, the City would have no control of the condition of the tower, as it gets older. Plan to see Riverfront Park being used more by the public as downtown housing goes in!

Anxious to look at the website on the Vox Tower next Treber! <--- Looks good....will be a nice addition to downtown.

revrw
Nov 16, 2006, 9:17 AM
Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spokane
End of the line for Rookery

November 15, 2006

Workers continued with the demolition of the Rookery and the Mohawk buildings today. A crew on the roof of the Mohawk building was removing asbestos roofing. (Jed Conklin/The Spokesman-Review)

A demolition crew is slowly ripping the heart out of Spokane’s downtown Rookery Building at Riverside and Howard following a two-year effort by preservationists to save the historic structure.

Clouds of dust and debris swirled in the wind today as workers removed pieces of the 1934 building and dumped them into an awaiting truck bin. Portions of the Rookery’s landmark art deco façade were starting to fall.

“It just makes my heart ache,” said Joanne Moyer, a leader in the Spokane Preservation Advocates that had fought demolition with pickets and money. “It’s like a death in the family in Spokane.”

Removal of the Rookery and adjoining Mohawk Building on Riverside Avenue at Howard come two years after the adjacent 1890 Merton Block building and a series of smaller structures along Sprague Avenue were torn down.

Owner Wendell Reugh delayed demolition of the Rookery and Mohawk while efforts were made by potential investors to strike a deal that would have saved the historic structures as part of a wider redevelopment of new and old buildings on the block in the heart of downtown. The rubble on the block has been drawing complaints from neighbors.

Erika Bronson, a clerk at Northwest Map & Travel, 525 W. Sprague, said, “Something needed to be done,” although she was saddened to see the buildings go.

Moyer said she believes that Reugh never wanted to sell the buildings because he had frustrated potential purchasers by changing terms during negotiations. But Reugh maintained that buyers had asked him to carry too much of the financial burden of any transaction.

Steve Gill, property manager for Reugh, said today that other potential investors had been waiting for demolition. He said the best use of the site is as a new multi-use development. Historic preservation, he said, just wasn’t “financially feasible.”

I hope that the last part of this article is true and something can get done quickly!!!

James Bond Agent 007
Nov 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
^
*sigh*

Well, in other news from the Spokane Journal of Business . . .

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2951

http://www.spokanejournal.com/photos/cheney.jpg
Cheney community leaders say they want more retail businesses downtown, where tenant activity has picked up.

Quiet Cheney makes some noise
Housing developments, EWU projects, new businesses spur growth
By Emily Brandler

Community leaders in the small, quiet college town of Cheney say that the city has been humming with development activity in recent years, and they’re seeking ways to encourage that growth for the future.

The West Plains city has been experiencing a growth spurt, with housing developments rising on its north side, big construction projects dotting Eastern Washington University’s campus, and new businesses opening in and near downtown. The city’s full-time population grew by roughly 17 percent, to more than 10,000, between 2000 and 2005.

“There’s considerable energy and excitement here, more so than there was even four years ago,” says Paul Schmidt, city administrator. “We were working hard back then, and now we’re seeing the results of that work snowball into additional interest.”

Charlie Dotson, executive director of a Cheney-based economic-development organization called Pathways to Progress, says community leaders are seeking to promote Cheney as a small town that has some of the amenities of a larger city.

“Small towns like ours have an advantage over places like Spokane because we have a different lifestyle that’s attractive,” asserts Dotson, the city of Spokane’s former planning director. “I think people are beginning to discover Cheney.”

Spokane developer Dick Vandervert, who has been involved in several big commercial projects in Cheney in recent years, says he plans to develop a yet-to-be-named restaurant at the southeast corner of the intersection of state Route 904 and Betz Road. His Vandervert Construction Inc. built a 76-room Holiday Inn Express at the northwest corner of that intersection last summer.

Other projects completed recently by various companies headed by Vandervert include the 132-unit Rock Springs Apartments and the 130,000-square-foot Cheney Plaza shopping center, which is nearly fully occupied.

Vandervert says he decided to develop projects in Cheney several years ago because he saw growth potential there.

“We try to pick out strategic locations in the area, and Cheney was one of them,” Vandervert says. “I think we guessed right. We’ve had a good rate of growth out there, and the college is growing by leaps and bounds.”

Also, a franchisee of Pita Pit USA Inc., of Coeur d’Alene, plans to open a Pita Pit restaurant soon in a former movie theater, at 122 College, about two blocks east of the EWU campus.

Meanwhile, Steve Emtman, a Cheney native and former professional football player, plans to begin developing next spring a roughly 1,300-unit largely residential project, called Terra Vista, in southeast Cheney. (See story Big mixed-use project planned in Cheney.)

Emtman also plans to renovate several buildings he owns downtown, and is seeking tenants for those buildings.

Also, Tomlinson Black West Plains, of Cheney, plans to build a new office building for its own use soon, says Mike Hume, a partner in Spokane-based Tomlinson Black North Inc., which is involved in the operation of TBWP. The 4,700-square-foot office, which will have room for more than 25 agents, will be able to handle growing residential real estate demands in that market better, Hume says.

For its part, the city of Cheney is seeking funds for a roughly $12 million expansion to its waste-water treatment plant. The plant was originally expected not to reach capacity until 2014, but now is projected to do so by 2008.

The city also is trying to develop jointly with Spokane County a community park on a roughly 50-acre site north of Betz Road where it meets Washington Street, Schmidt says. The estimated $6 million project would include a park, aquatics facility, and athletic field.

“Our growth has exceeded our prior planning expectations,” Schmidt says. “Cheney is growing, plain and simple, and I see that continuing.”

Since Cheney is a college town, EWU’s recent growth has played a part in the development activity that has occurred in the community. EWU said last month its fall-quarter enrollment climbed to more than 10,000 students in its 19th consecutive quarter of growth. Meanwhile, about 2,000 students, or 20 percent of total enrollment, now live on EWU’s residential campus.

EWU has spent tens of millions of dollars on construction projects over the past few years. Now, site work is under way for a $26.3 million recreation center there. That project follows a $26 million Computing and Engineering Building that was completed late last year.

In 2002, Spokane developer Rob Brewster Jr. built a $5.5 million residence hall near downtown Cheney, which houses more than 140 students and includes a bookstore and coffeehouse. Brewster has said he’s interested in further development in Cheney.

Benji Estrellado, an EWU alum and owner of Cheney Realty Inc., says he’s watched as the campus has grown and as more parents of students have bought houses in the area for their children to live in while in school.

“Eastern has become more of a campus university, rather than a commuter school,” Estrellado says. “Residential activity has slowed a bit this year, but is going fairly well, and I’m still excited.”

Single-family homes under $200,000, which are the homes that parents most often buy for their college-age children and use as rentals after they graduate, are selling briskly, he says. Sales of existing homes valued at more than $200,000 have slowed a bit, while new home construction has been steady, he says. The city issues an average of between 250 and 350 building permits a year valued at between $250,000 and $350,000.

Construction of a fourth phase of the Golden Hills subdivision, located near Cheney High School, is under way, Estrellado says. The rest of the homes in that subdivision have sold out, as have homes in the nearby Avalon Place neighborhood, at the southeast corner of Betz and Sixth Street, he says. The Orchards, at the northwest corner of Betz and state Route 904, is nearly completed and almost fully occupied, he says.

Demand is strong among EWU faculty members and employees of the Cheney School District for higher-priced housing, and Cheney loses a number of potential adult residents to other nearby communities because of its lack of housing in that segment right now, Estrellado says.

Commercial activity

Although Cheney needs a greater variety of housing, the residential development that has taken place there thus far has spurred quite a bit of commercial activity, Estrellado says. “It’s been fantastic for retail services,” he says.

As Estrellado walks along First Street, the main thoroughfare downtown, he mentions businesses that have opened recently or are planned to open soon, such as a new coffee shop and bakery called Cheney Delights. While commercial activity appears to be picking up, quite a few windows still reveal empty office and retail spaces.

Dotson says he’s working to fill those spaces.

Pathways, a nonprofit entity funded by the city of Cheney and EWU, worked with the university, the city, the West Plains Chamber of Commerce, and other organizations to conduct a comprehensive market survey of Cheney last year, Dotson says. The survey concluded that the city loses $100 million to what’s called retail leakage, meaning Cheney residents spend that much money elsewhere for goods and services each year.

“It shows a market for new business development that far exceeded anybody’s expectations,” Dotson says. “If a community doesn’t have the right mix of business and retail services, residents have to go elsewhere.”

In the summer of 2005, Pathways organized a workshop in which civic and business leaders from the Spokane area met to create development strategies for Cheney. One of those strategies involved recruiting retailers to Cheney, specifically those indicated as top priorities by residents in the market survey, Dotson says. In particularly high demand were entertainment venues, clothing stores, and restaurants, including eateries that are open 24 hours a day and offer wireless Internet access.

Another strategy calls for recruiting light-industrial businesses to industrial properties in southwest Cheney, where a 113,000-square-foot building that formerly housed a Honeywell Electronic Materials plant sits empty, Dotson says. The city has been seeking a tenant for that building, located on a 48-acre parcel that Honeywell owns on the north side of state Route 904 west of Presley Drive, since Honeywell vacated the building about two years ago.

Schmidt says the city is working with a company, which he declines to name, that is considering buying the site. The company would improve 10 acres of land surrounding the building, while the city would use state and federal grants to perform infrastructure improvements on the remaining 38 acres, he says. The company then would sell or lease that land to other industrial users.

“The company would bring in high-wage jobs, which is a good thing,” Schmidt says. “The potential to build out the rest of that area is also really exciting.”

Across the street from the Honeywell building to the south lies the largely undeveloped 20-acre Cheney Technology Park. Currently, the only tenant there is North Star Equipment Inc., which makes clay-shaping equipment for potters. The city hopes to recruit businesses that would buy land and build facilities in the park so it can seek funding to do public infrastructure work there.

“It could happen if we had someone who stepped up and wanted to locate there,” Schmidt says. “We need somebody to commit to developing.”

James Bond Agent 007
Nov 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
Plus this big new development is planned for Cheney. With 1,300 housing units it should really be a big boost for retail and business in the town:

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2955

Includes this tidbit at the end:

Separately, Emtman says he plans to renovate three buildings in downtown Cheney that he has bought recently, and is looking for retail tenants. Emtman says he’s investing in the downtown area as a way to draw more visitors into the heart of Cheney, rather than have visitors shop at commercial centers that have risen on the outskirts of town.

“We’re trying to bring more small businesses to Cheney, and it’s important to build up the downtown and get more money spent there,” he says.

Trebor of Spokane
Nov 17, 2006, 1:01 AM
here is the picture from the Thursday Spokesman Review

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/rookery.jpg

Hub for an Empire
Nov 17, 2006, 2:34 AM
^^^^ Looks almost as depressing as Ground Zero after 9-11!

I hope they at least they salvage the Art Deco Motiffs off the Rookery Building for another "SPOKANE" building in the future......not like it's shipped off and used in another Northwest City in the future!

Not sure I can trust what the current owner says about potential buyers.......I'll believe it when it happens. I do think the site should be the site of some highrise construction, but that might have to wait for awhile.

ghost22
Nov 17, 2006, 7:12 AM
hey look at this for our little town to the south.

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2954

looks like the valley and liberty lake arent enough for out of town development. this is a 5 million gallon/ year biofuel refinery and 200+ home development in spangle. would triple the towns size

James Bond Agent 007
Nov 17, 2006, 7:51 AM
^
Bah, Spangle is so far away. All it'll do is encourage distant sprawl and long commutes. :(

ghost22
Nov 17, 2006, 8:06 AM
i agree with you james which is what i meant by the valley and liberty lake not being enough, but for my fuel tank since that 5 million gallons is only in the first year. i hope this can help us with the gas price in spokane area since we are the highest in the nation.

P.s. although in spokane cda area 5 million gallons mean average of about 7-8 gallons per year more for area lol

urbanlife
Nov 17, 2006, 8:36 AM
wow, that block is going to feel so depressing without those buildings there. I a true loose for the city. As for potential buyers, I will believe it when I see it. I really don't trust nor believe anything the Reugh's say and will be happy when the old bastard dies.

Hub for an Empire
Nov 18, 2006, 3:48 AM
Speaking of Spangle.....

I bet someday, Highway 195 will be a divided Highway all the way from Spokane to Lewiston, since the Quad Cities area is now around 100,000 with the Four Cities. Plus with them trying to make a North-South Corridor up to Canada, the Port of Lewiston/Clarkston will play a part in making the Spokane region a transportation hub.

Everyone see about the Davenport Tower on KXLY news last night? Hope the Elephant heads aren't real!

Dazzeetrader
Nov 18, 2006, 5:44 AM
It just gets worse.........they're at it again...

"The tower will have an African safari theme with large elephant head busts adorning the lobby and giraffe statues outside the entrance to the bar. Hotel rooms include chaise lounges in leopard print and paintings of zebras and elephants. The hotel restaurant will be called the Safari Room Fresh Grill and Bar." Spokesman Review Nov, 17, 2006 in an interview with Walt Worthy on his new tower....by Alison Boggs

Sweeeeeeet! lol....now where are those people that think Walt builds good, classy stuff? Let's all say a prayer....It's like a Mad Magazine story. Dazzee;)

urbanlife
Nov 18, 2006, 9:01 AM
Safari Spokane? For the Spokanite that can't get away.

Hub for an Empire
Nov 18, 2006, 2:53 PM
I was wishing to see more of the inside of the Davenport Tower on the newscast!

I thought the theme looked kind of similar to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, with Safari theme, but on a smaller scale and budget.

At least Worthy stated it would be a fun place to go and wouldn't compete with the current Davenport Hotel!

jimthemanincda
Nov 18, 2006, 3:54 PM
A big Post Falls development project is getting under way very soon. This project will be on the west side of Post Falls, right along the Idaho-Washington border. There won't be a lot of vacant land remaining along I-90 from Post Falls to Coeur d'Alene after this project is completed...

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2006/11/18/business/bus01.txt

Retailers hear Cabela's bugle
Posted: Friday, Nov 17, 2006 - 11:23:01 pm PST
By BRIAN WALKER
Staff writer

Rendering courtesy CLC Associates
The Pointe at Post Falls, a 235-acre retail project along Interstate 90, will likely include a lifestyle-themed center, home improvement big box, two hotels and a large chain store in addition to Cabela's on the west end. Sale of the property has closed and grading is expected to start within two weeks.

Site grading expected to start within two weeks

POST FALLS -- Cabela's and the 235-acre mixed-use project that it will anchor on Post Falls' west side are already making waves.

"Cabela's is such a quality retailer that appeals to a broad market," said Jeff Vitek of Carlsbad-Calif.-based Foursquare Properties, developer of The Pointe at Post Falls west of Sysco on the north side of Interstate 90. "The response (from other retailers following suit) has been very favorable. We've had significant interest from a number of restaurants, hotels and big boxes."

Foursquare's purchase of the pie slice-shaped property from Liberty Lake landowner Greenstone Corp. has closed, sealing the final detail for Cabela's to come. A job shack is already on the site, and Vitek said grading will likely start within two weeks.

"Cabela's should be open by the fall of next year," Vitek said.

The 125,000-square-foot outdoor retail store, which would employ 250, will include a towering mountain replica, an aquarium, wild-game displays, a deli-style restaurant, gun library, indoor archery range and atrium.

It will anchor the west end of The Pointe and overlook the Spokane River at the state line.

Three other big-box retail anchors are planned, along with two hotel sites along I-90 on both sides of Beck Road where a future interchange to access the project is planned. The other anchors will likely include a home improvement store and large retail chains.

The south end of the project will feature lifestyle-themed stores that back I-90.

There are 19 one- to three-acre pads in the project for complementary businesses such as restaurants and a variety of retail outlets.

Vitek said he's not ready to announce any businesses that are eyeing the project.

He said the development will resemble Foursquare's other large mixed-use projects in California, Utah and Montana. It will have a similar feel to the business community around the Spokane Valley Mall with one access off Beck Road and two off Seltice Way.

Examples of businesses in those include Target, Sam's Club, Circuit City, cinemas, Applebee's, Cold Stone Creamery, Famous Dave's BBQ and Bath and Body Works.

Vitek said Cabela's will likely be the first store built, but construction on other businesses will be going on simultaneously. Engineers interested in constructing the interchange met with local officials this week.

"We're getting a tremendous amount of interest," Post Falls Mayor Clay Larkin said. "Calls are coming in almost daily, and some of them don't want to say who they are. They all understand what Cabela's means as a destination and the number of tourists it attracts every year. The project will market itself."

Post Falls Chamber CEO Angela Alexander said her organization is also feeling the ripple effect.

"We're getting people who are looking to provide a service to Cabela's, people who are looking for jobs and businesses that are looking to come," she said. "It doesn't matter what event I go to, people are asking about it. I think it's given us more of a name recognition."

Proponents say the project will not only be an economic boost and create jobs, but it will revive the west side of Post Falls, including the factory outlets and Pleasantview area.

"Having Buck Knives and Cabela's combined will make this a great area for tourism," said Steve Griffitts of Jobs Plus. "It keeps North Idaho in the forefront."

Foursquare has about 70 acres of surplus property on the north and east sides of Sysco. Vitek said the site will include some residential, but the focus will be retail.

sg2
Nov 18, 2006, 8:08 PM
blah

Dazzeetrader
Nov 19, 2006, 6:17 PM
Agree Sg2.;) Dazzee

InlandEmpire
Nov 20, 2006, 6:22 AM
^^
Good to see PF getting more jobs, but the type of people Buck Knives and Cabela's attracts are the people I was trying to escape in North Idaho. Oh well.. more jobs. If it benefits the Outlet area too that would be a bonus... that area needs some help.

ghost22
Nov 21, 2006, 5:03 AM
the home improvement box store is no doubt Lowes, home depot wouldnt put a new store 3 miles from its new and by the way failing liberty lake store. and this development is actually as old as the hills, it is just that it is now actually getting businesses moving into it. Buck knives and Cabela's couldnt have picked a better location. Idaho is one of the most popular "outdoorsee" locations in america except alaska. with montana nearby it will probably be one of their best and already will be one of the largest locations. the kind of people here are great, hunting is a way of life and if u dont like it spokane is accross the border. that is why this area is so dynamic. hence near nature, near perfect.

also since i live in rathdrum there is one more project going in cda right next to hwy 95 and northwest blvd on the northeast corner. they are already breaking ground on it. from the drawing board it looks like 4, 7-8 story buildings, condos or commercial, and a pretty large sized 2 story base building. it is called "northwest place" and is a blackrock development. i cant find any info on the web about it. if someone else can that would be great.

by the way here is some info on the cabelas store development

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=eupdate&sub=359

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2006/11/18/business/bus01.txt

InlandEmpire
Nov 21, 2006, 6:02 AM
^
You may be talking about The Crossing at Coeur d' Alene, a development that is on the land adjacent to what will be the Kroc Rec Center. Actually, no, I take that back. I had some renderings a long time ago of the development you're talking about... Marshall Chesrown of Black Rock is playing a hand in it for sure. I think it was going to start with a couple 3 floor buildings and maybe down the road have a couple 7ish story buildings backing those up. You're talking about the old Pines Motel site correct??

Oh, and as a sidenote I never meant disrespect to the Idaho lifestyle and those attracted to it- it was always lost on me for some reason in the 20+ years I lived in Post Falls, Coeur d' Alene, Moscow, and Lewiston. Never been a hunter/camper type myself, but I can see how Cabela's would do well. They will have to compete at some level with the Sportsman's Warehouse in the Valley and the new one planned by Costco in CDA.

Hub for an Empire
Nov 23, 2006, 10:59 PM
For your holiday reading enjoyment.....in this week's Spokane Journal of Business:

-Natural Gas Exploration in Eastern Washington
-Geiger Spur Project
-Possible Hotel at Silverwood
-Opinion: Keep Light Rail Plans for the Future
-West 809 Building in NW Homes Section

you can see these stories and more at:

http://www.spokanejournal.com/

For the Spokesman-Review readers.....the Slice article was kind of humorous this week.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

ghost22
Nov 25, 2006, 2:45 AM
i am not sure if it is the old pines motel site but i seriously cannot find any info on this project whatsoever. for the size it seems it will be they should have a site or at least list it on the black rock projects on their site. I have looked everywhere. i wish i had a digital camera to get some photos of it. happy thanksgiving everyone and good luck with the crowds this weekend. i am going snowboarding on sunday and cant wait.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 1, 2006, 9:35 PM
I noticed last night while I was driving on Main Avenue and glanced south at Howard Street that the Rookery Block looked in pretty sad condition.......rubble pile..... Hope Wendall is satisfied with his legacy for Spokane! Thought he was supposed to save the Art Deco Motifs for the parking lot.......hope he was intelligent enough to do that before he brought it down! Needless to say, I avoided driving down Sprague or Riverside last night.

urbanlife
Dec 2, 2006, 9:35 AM
art deco motif for a parking lot......wow, makes me want to vomit. I hope the man dies soon of a horrible heart attack.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 2, 2006, 4:27 PM
^^^^ Well if it's not paved by next year.....we might , as a community, have a ......First Night Spokane 2008 Bon Fire in the block, since I think it will be vacant for awhile! I don't think a potential buyer will trust the past trend of the current owner. ...oh yeah, he's not community based, so guess we have to rule that one out!

Hub for an Empire
Dec 2, 2006, 11:36 PM
Good news (Historic record) from the WorkSource Washington website:

Between October 2005 and October this year, the Spokane economy created 10,400 new jobs. That is more jobs created than for any twelve-month period in Spokane’s recorded history. More importantly, the jobs created over the year are across all sectors of the economy, although there is little doubt that Construction employment led the economy in job creation.

sg2
Dec 8, 2006, 6:55 AM
Has anybody noticed the large crane in the Riverpoint area? I think its for the WSU nursing School? Anybody know for sure?

hcnate
Dec 8, 2006, 7:03 AM
It is for sure for the nursing building. There are some renderings up on the WSU website.

http://www.spokane.wsu.edu/aboutWSUSpokane/building_ICN.asp

der Reisender
Dec 8, 2006, 8:50 AM
The Riverpoint area is the same as the 'University District', right? If so, the building seems like a solid additon to the WSU campus they are building, good for the area.

hcnate
Dec 8, 2006, 4:49 PM
The Riverpoint area is the same as the 'University District', right? If so, the building seems like a solid additon to the WSU campus they are building, good for the area.

Yup, the Riverpoint area is a portion of the University District. My understanding is that it extends "across the tracks" to sprague and west to Division and is bordered on the east by Trent. I am not sure how far north it goes.

http://www.spokaneuniversitydistrict.info

Hub for an Empire
Dec 9, 2006, 12:39 PM
Anyone see the Downtown Spokane booklet enclosed with the Journal of Business (JOB) this week?

If you go to the last page, it shows the rough area of the University District. They break the University District in three areas...Gonzaga, Riverpoint and East Sprague. On Cable Channel 5 this month they brought up the District and stated it "roughly" is bordered by Sharp Avenue on the North. Interstate 90 on the south. Hamilton Street on the east and Division Street on the west. No set borders. Guess they are getting the Hospitals involved in the area due to the medical aspects.

Nice to see so many projects starting in Spokane! Great to see a publication about downtown Spokane and that they are really promoting the area and setting goals for the future!

RemiO
Dec 11, 2006, 11:43 PM
A bit more Vox information was sent out via e-mail today. I uploaded the PDF here:

http://www.remi1000.com/vox/VoxTower.com1.0.pdf

allennw
Dec 13, 2006, 5:27 AM
vox tower info. looking on emporis tonight, it said the vox tower will be 107m or 350 ft. hope this hold's true, would be a nice addition in hight to spokane's skyline! has construction begain on one fifty-three wall street?

SPOKANITE
Dec 13, 2006, 6:25 AM
has construction begain on one fifty-three wall street?

Nah. They're still in the midst of their SEPA process.

InlandEmpire
Dec 13, 2006, 9:00 PM
Hey, so some updates on CDA's Riverstone project per the television broadcast of the latest city council meeting (translated to me via my parents; they're cool like that ;) )

1) Barnes and Noble will be putting a store there

2) Red Robin plans a restaurant there (this is per a Parkwood Properties employee, not the city council mtg.)

3) Riverstone is coming to the council with plans for a *600* unit apartment complex, comprised of a couple towers. I have no clue how far along they are in the planning for this; they were apparently arguing with the city over height restrictions. Their argument is that Marshall Chesrown's development right on the riverbank has already compromised access to the river, so why not let them build something taller behind his condos. This proposed site would be on the river side of the Hampton Inn construction site. The more towers the better I guess, so we'll see.

My 2 cents for the day. I wish the city of CDA would updated their council meeting minutes online once in awhile- then I could verify more.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 14, 2006, 2:48 AM
vox tower info. looking on emporis tonight, it said the vox tower will be 107m or 350 ft. hope this hold's true, would be a nice addition in hight to spokane's skyline! has construction begain on one fifty-three wall street?

I hope that holds true. They were stating this past summer it was only going to be 12' taller than the 288' Bank of America Building.

jimthemanincda
Dec 14, 2006, 4:13 PM
Hey, so some updates on CDA's Riverstone project per the television broadcast of the latest city council meeting (translated to me via my parents; they're cool like that ;) )

1) Barnes and Noble will be putting a store there

2) Red Robin plans a restaurant there (this is per a Parkwood Properties employee, not the city council mtg.)

3) Riverstone is coming to the council with plans for a *600* unit apartment complex, comprised of a couple towers. I have no clue how far along they are in the planning for this; they were apparently arguing with the city over height restrictions. Their argument is that Marshall Chesrown's development right on the riverbank has already compromised access to the river, so why not let them build something taller behind his condos. This proposed site would be on the river side of the Hampton Inn construction site. The more towers the better I guess, so we'll see.

My 2 cents for the day. I wish the city of CDA would updated their council meeting minutes online once in awhile- then I could verify more.

I got an email today from Riverstone because I inquired about a condo. Here's a little information from the email about how the project is progressing and some of Riverstone's future plans:

CONDOMINIUMS
52% of the Village at Riverstone residences in Building A have been reserved. A refundable $5,000 deposit will hold one of these remaining units for you, but hurry, they are going fast! Visit us today at www.VillageAtRiverstone.com

Pricing, amenities, finish and upgrade packages are almost complete and will be available for review in the next couple of weeks. All reservations will be converted to contract by the middle of January with deposits and signed contracts due by the middle of February. We anticipate completion and closings for Building A by late 2007.
Building A consists of 42,000 square feet of retail and 51 residential condominiums. The first floor retail of Building A will be home to an approximate 29,000 square foot Barnes and Noble bookstore, which will serve as an anchor to the project.

Construction began in July on a one story parking deck that will replace the current parking field and make room for the new Main Street. Construction of the parking deck is scheduled for completion January 15, 2007 and upon its completion, we will begin construction on the two Main Street mixed use buildings (Buildings B & C). These two Main Street buildings will include approximately 57,500 square of retail and 84 residential condo units.

VILLAGE AT RIVERSTONE
Currently open tenants at the Village include Regal Cinemas, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, San Francisco Sourdough Eatery and Joey’s Smokin’ BBQ. Planning openings for 2007 and 2008 are Bardenay Distillery, Tecate, a new southwestern food restaurant by the owners of Azteca, Pizza Schmizza, a Portland-based pizza chain, Sangria Grille, an American-Peruvian fusion restaurant, and Red Robin.

In addition to Barnes & Noble, the Village is currently planning for three women’s fashion tenants, Chico’s FAS, Lane Bryant and Coldwater Creek. These retailers are a key component of our shopping center and many other tenants will soon be announced.

Riverstone Park is well on its way to being completed, with a grand opening expected in the spring of 2007. Riverstone Park and pond, which includes fountains, children’s play structures, an amphitheater, covered picnic shelter, restrooms, parking lot, and other related park amenities. The 4-acre park and 6-acre lake will include a paved trail providing access throughout the park and to the Centennial trail, which will eventually run through the Riverstone Development.

ghost22
Dec 16, 2006, 6:21 AM
although some brush it off as sprawl i really enjoy the riverstone project, the park sounds amazing. hope it turns out as well as it sounds

FireFighter74
Dec 19, 2006, 5:32 PM
Who would want to live in Post Falls anyways? Post Falls is just like the Spokane Valley, maybe a little nicer, but there's still nothing to do there and its all strip malls and grocery stores. Have fun with that condo! Why don't you go buy a home in Deer Park while your at it! :)

InlandEmpire
Dec 19, 2006, 8:42 PM
^
The people buying those condos are those who are fleeing big-city problems from SoCal and Puget Sound, and aging empty nesters who don't want to leave the area but wish to downsize and simplify their lives. Also, I would suspect it's people wanting the Coeur d' Alene resort lifestyle but unable to afford the multi-million dollar price of admission when talking about waterfront property. That being said, I grew up in Post Falls and would never move back.... there's really not much there but I could understand people with 'outdoor' lifestyles liking the area.

... also, update on those Riverstone towers proposed: it would be four 165' towers composed of apartments and condos. Originally proposed as 2 towers at 225' but modified because of CDA's height restrictions. Two of them would go behind the Hampton Inn under construction, and the other two would go up by the new Holiday Inn and that retirement center.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 20, 2006, 8:19 PM
Did everyone see in today's Spokesman that Antiques Roadshow is coming to Spokane on August 4. 2007? It should give the city some exposure on a National level on the PBS program!

jimthemanincda
Dec 21, 2006, 1:47 AM
Who would want to live in Post Falls anyways? Post Falls is just like the Spokane Valley, maybe a little nicer, but there's still nothing to do there and its all strip malls and grocery stores. Have fun with that condo! Why don't you go buy a home in Deer Park while your at it! :)

First, I never said that I was going to buy a condo in Riverstone. If you'll go back and READ my post, it said that I inquired about a condo. I just wanted info on the project.

Additionally, Riverstone is not in the sprawlburg of Post Falls. It is in Coeur d'Alene.

urbanlife
Dec 22, 2006, 2:31 AM
Well I will be in Spokane all next week. I will try to get out and do a couple photo tours or something....any requests and I will see what I can do?

Hub for an Empire
Dec 22, 2006, 3:21 AM
Well I will be in Spokane all next week. I will try to get out and do a couple photo tours or something....any requests and I will see what I can do?

Any or all of the following:
-Best angle shot looking up at the Davenport Tower.
-Convention Center Shot from across the street looking at the point of the ship.
-Upper Falls Condo.
-Spokane Skyline from Cliff Drive.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 22, 2006, 6:55 AM
Convention center and downtown from about where the Pier 1 Imports is.

CrimsonW
Dec 23, 2006, 7:59 AM

How about my new house that I've purchased which will allow me to finally move home. 3x the size of my Bellevue house for less than half the price...on a lot that's 2.5x as big...fire up the moving van...

urbanlife
Dec 24, 2006, 6:55 AM
haha, I will see what I can do. I will be there for seven days and will have my car with me unlike past trips, so I should be able to get a number of shots.

I am just hoping for no snow for the week, although I have heard rumors about a white christmas there.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 24, 2006, 5:54 PM
haha, I will see what I can do. I will be there for seven days and will have my car with me unlike past trips, so I should be able to get a number of shots.

I am just hoping for no snow for the week, although I have heard rumors about a white christmas there.

It's already a White Christmas in Spokane! Have a safe drive!

Dazzeetrader
Dec 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
Merry Christmas all you civic minded people! One question: on thei site, I've seen lots of building planned and built, lots of models too but is there anywhere on this site where one can see rendering ob entry ways or lobbies?

I'm talking about really amazing lobbies like when one enters a grand office building or a hotel? Anyone? Dazzee

revrw
Dec 29, 2006, 8:33 AM
Condo tower proposed

Old 24-Hour Fitness site would hold 17-story, mixed used development

At a glance

Proposed condo tower

Location: 718 W. Riverside (Located between two-story Global Credit Union and four-story Sterling Savings Bank headquarters)

Height: 17 stories

Melodie Little
Staff writer
December 29, 2006

A 17-story condominium complex is being considered for the former downtown Spokane location of a 24 Hour Fitness center.

Tami Palmquist, a city planner, said preliminary plans submitted to her department include up to 49 condo units, 68 parking stalls and ground-floor retail.

Plans for the $6 million project, proposed for 718 W. Riverside Ave., have a big-city feel because they maximize about 8,000 square feet of ground-level space by building up. The tower would replace a three-level building that sits between the two-story Global Credit Union building and the four-story Sterling Savings Bank headquarters.

Designs show ground-level retail space with a semi-circular pull-in on Riverside. Parking spaces would be located on the second, third and fourth floors with an elevator lift carrying cars up and down to save on ramp space.

Palmquist said parking elevators are common in big cities, but the concept is new to the Spokane area.

Jeff Smith is looking at developing the project and is in the due diligence phase of purchasing the 24 Hour Fitness building, which is owned by commercial appraiser Scot Auble and his father, David.

Smith's name appears on development documents, but he could not be reached for comment.The architectural firm Denny Christenson & Associates submitted preliminary plans to the city in hope of getting some early feedback, Denny Christenson said. The company is researching the project's feasibility, he said.

If the project is viable, the property sale could close in January, Christenson said. Terms of the potential sale were not disclosed.

Palmquist said the zoning appears to be appropriate for the project and there are no height limits for the site.

der Reisender
Dec 29, 2006, 9:05 AM
parking elevators and condo towers? doesnt sound like the spokane i remember. hope this project moves forward, the location is great, hope the design can match it

Trebor of Spokane
Dec 29, 2006, 5:04 PM
For Spokane, so many condo towers being proposed - when are they going to start building them. would be nice to see at least one of them start to go up.

Trebor of Spokane
Dec 29, 2006, 5:29 PM
Something i ran across while doing another search

Spokane City-County Historic Preservation Office
Monthly Update

November 15, 2006
Property Updates
Spokane Flour Mill: Presidio Development is pursuing alternative design options for the Upper Falls East Condo development after receiving a denial from the Landmarks Commission to remove portions of the Flour Mill. The developers are working with the City’s Design Review Committee to revise their plans so that there won’t be an impact to the historic structure.

Hub for an Empire
Dec 29, 2006, 8:28 PM
For Spokane, so many condo towers being proposed - when are they going to start building them. would be nice to see at least one of them start to go up.

Looks like the VOX Tower and the One Fifty-Three Wall Street Condo will be started in 2007. Both of them have been approved. Kendall Yards should also have a start in 2007.

The new high rise proposed sounds like a sure thing, if they are finalizing the sale plans for next month! Nice to see some surprises like that. This might make the Rookery Block more appealing for development.

Spokane has definitely turned a corner and it will be exciting to see the changes in the next few years!

Does anyone have any Spokane predictions for 2007?

urbanlife
Dec 29, 2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I have taken a few pictures, mostly skyline shots cause it has been freaking cold here for me. I will be posting them when I get home, so sometime next week.

The Davenport Tower looks ugly as sin in person. My first though driving down 1st was, "are those 3 big side panel things made out of ply wood?" Nope, it was just the type of marble. It looks like he invested in materials over design and it looks like they tried to slap quality materials on crap, which oddly enough usually looks like more crap. It does make quite an impression on the skyline of Spokane, also brings to mond the famous words, "what the hell?!"

My predictions for 2007. Housing prices will continue to rise for Spokane. Population will increase as more retired people move here. I think it is a hotspot for that. The Kendall Yards will be a huge success and will spark talks about "will it be the death of downtown?" The only serious developments that will happen in and around downtown will be in the way of condo developments. Spokane's next tallest will probably be a condo tower of some sort. Which would make sense, seeing it is retired people that are more likely to move here. I think the parking lots along Spokane Falls Blvd will stay vacant, but at the end of 2007, there might be new talk about those blocks and a possible proposal from a developer....possibly an out of town developer. The Rookery "lot" will stay vacant for 2007. I have a hard time believing he will have a reasonable asking price for it after all the money he has spent. Athough I am curious, i the Mohawk building coming down too? It looks to still be in good condition and could make for cool condos with the rest of the bare lot turned into two towers or one tower and a long base. I think that might be the only thing that could happen with the Rookery block, but again, Reugh is Spokane's terrorist, I don't see him changing now that the buildings are gone.....hopefully he will die in 2007 and his children will wise up and sell off all his property that he was never going to do anything with. That is going to be an issue in 2007, there is too many land owners that are sitting on good land downtoan and will do nothing with them.

In the end, while it might not look much. The Vox, Kendall Yard and the expansions WSU are making (2 buildings are under construction right now), are going to make a huge impact on the city. With that all said, Spokane should have a great 2007.

Trebor of Spokane
Dec 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
I am curious about whether One fifty three wall street is going to happen despite being approved. There was a sign in the parking lot saying that the lot would be closed to parking Nov 4th 2006, the sign was still there in the middle of Dec. and people were still parking there. I drove by the other day and the sign is now gone and cars are still parking there. Wondering if Prium is abandoning this project, or holding of till a later date. Or maybe I am just being impatient waiting for the next building to go up. Anyone hear anything?

Hub for an Empire
Dec 30, 2006, 4:48 AM
^^^^ I thought the One Fifty Three building showed it was approved on the Emporis Website? It will be nice to see some buildings go up , with all the talk, but I think 2007 will bring some progress.

I agree Urban, they did leave the Mohawk building in fairly good shape when they destructed the Rookery Building. I was also thinking it possibly might be a plan to keep it? I hope. It does blend in with the other building on the corner and still leaves enough room for a high rise on the old Rookery site.
I see one tower with the Sprague side of the block going to parking.
I was wondering if they were panels on the Davenport Tower building or Faux paint treatment to look like panels? I do think the building is better than a parking lot, even if I would have designed it differently. It does add a bit to the skyline, but it does blend in with the other buildings.

I think downtown will remain strong being the center between the U District and Kendall Yards/Riverside District.

My out on the limb 2007 predictions for Spokane:
I think 2007 will even be a better year for Spokane than 2006 and 2006 was the start of some good news for Spokane! I think as we approach the end of 2007, there will be more talk about the Rookery Block......with some investors interested. I can see the building having more Commercial space than other newer high rises (Downtown branch of Banner Bank?), but still have Condo space on the top floors. It will be Spokane's tallest and will be built by 2009. I hope the Mohawk building turns to apartments ....1 bedroom or studios to make it affordable for low to moderate income types of all ages.
By the end of the year, there will be a new grocery store downtown. Another Competitor grocery store also announces plans for a new store in downtown to open in mid-2008.
At the end of 2007, we will hear proposals for the new streetcar plan and how to finance it.
Alaska Airlines announces in 2007 plans to fly Non-Stop to San Francisco.
Southwest Airlines will announce at the end of 2007 they will fly Non-stop to Chicago Midway Airport from Spokane in early 2008.

Dreamer...yes...but always Pro-Spokane!
Happy New Year Everyone!

Dazzeetrader
Dec 30, 2006, 5:59 AM
Hub;s right abut the new Dav Tower. It's UUUUUUUUUUUUgly! Go see it on Sunday the 31st. It'll make you weak in the knees. And I'm STILL depending on you guys to find a 10,000 sq ft lobby model or direct me to where I could find a gorgeous lobby or 2 to fit into a nice local building. Design the lobby yourselves. Design one or find one you just love.....lots of light and lots of tradition....one for the ages. Make it spectacular though.....you might be walking around in it ooooing and awwwwwing in 20 months:) Dazzee

Hub for an Empire
Dec 31, 2006, 4:51 AM
^^^^ My favorite lobby is the Davenport Hotel, but others I like are the Hyatt Regency in SF; Mandalay Bay and Luxor in Las Vegas.
Have you gone to the Websites for the Hotels in New York to get ideas?
I like the Art Deco style myself and there aren't any lobbies in Spokane like that! I like the Black and Cream color of the Mandalay Bay just for the color.

I'll let you know how I like the Davenport Tower inside, tomorrow night!

Dazzeetrader
Dec 31, 2006, 6:10 AM
Hub...if you see something spectacular, let me know. I thought I might be able to find something on this site but so far, I can't even find a single lobby.......Something like you're thinking. One for the ages....thanx Dazzee

InlandEmpire
Jan 2, 2007, 9:03 PM
Now that it's technically 2007... (sorry, I'm behind here a bit)

I think Spokane will continue to improve in 2007; especially with all of the new options for living downtown coming online. I agree with urbanlife that there will be many retirees still moving to the area, but also young people such as myself that would love the downtown urban lifestyle but without the means to buy into Seattle or Portland's high prices. Hopefully many of the students that get to enjoy Spokane's U-district will choose to stay in the Inland NW instead of moving one once they graduate, especially since they get to see all of this first hand. Also, too bad that the light rail issue didn't quite work out in Spokane, but there will come a day that it may become more viable in people's minds. By that time I'm sure the cost to do so will be amazingly high. At the same time, keeping an efficient bus service going may serve the people just as well- Seattle seems to have survived this far using primarily bus service, so I would think Spokane will fare just fine. It was interesting to see how the I-90 corridor in the Valley is filling in when I was home for Christmas. Liberty Lake is exploding too-

The Rookery Block would be perfect for Spokane's new tallest... I was thinking how great a 400' version of the Block 38 tower proposal in Portland's South Waterfront would look :yes:

sustainable
Jan 4, 2007, 2:00 AM
I heard a rumor that Trader Joe's has announced its location for Spokane. Can anybody confirm this? I would make a guess that it is the old Safeway near the freeway on Maple, and I hope so because it is getting blasted with graffiti, but could also be city place.

Hub for an Empire
Jan 8, 2007, 12:57 AM
I heard a rumor that Trader Joe's has announced its location for Spokane. Can anybody confirm this? I would make a guess that it is the old Safeway near the freeway on Maple, and I hope so because it is getting blasted with graffiti, but could also be city place.

Per the Metro Spokane website. Looks like Krem TV called company officials and they stated they aren't locating to Spokane. (Yet). I know Whole Foods was also looking at Spokane. I think the old Safeway would be a good site for a Yoke's Fresh Market, since that way the money stays local. I think it will be a matter of time for the other two grocers come to Spokane with the Condos coming on line in downtown. We just started the Condo craze, so I guess I can understand their decision, at this time.