PDA

View Full Version : Spokane/ CDA development discussions

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

chepe
Sep 13, 2006, 9:55 PM
I could certainly be wrong but as I look at them today, it looks like they might be small windows. You're right though, a window at knee height doesn't make much sense. I suppose we'll know for sure in a week or so.

Hub for an Empire
Sep 14, 2006, 1:52 AM
Any word yet on when construction of the first buildings start at Kendall Yards? It will be nice to see some construction there!

RemiO
Sep 14, 2006, 2:50 AM
The West Central neighbors are still having issues with the plans for it. In other words, the KY doesn't have the permits needed to start building.

revrw
Sep 14, 2006, 4:24 AM
There should be a ruling on the submitted plans from the Kendall Yards next week. Since the city postponed there ruling, they said it would take a couple weeks to make a decision, and that was about a couple of weeks ago. Should hear something anyday now. I believe once approval is granted, they want to start A.S.A.P.

RemiO
Sep 14, 2006, 2:19 PM
I could certainly be wrong but as I look at them today, it looks like they might be small windows. You're right though, a window at knee height doesn't make much sense. I suppose we'll know for sure in a week or so.

Passing the building on 1st today, it looked like they were putting in vents or AC units.

Dazzeetrader
Sep 15, 2006, 1:09 AM
In my first posting, I must use the word "eyesore" when it comes to Walt and Karen Worthy's new highrise. As I drove by on the weekend, I actually thought I saw someone trying to fit an airconditioning box into one of those small spaces under the windows. Yuck!
No windows on the West side on the building. And the building is just a box and it looks like they tried to match it to the Davenport's Parking Structure.
Among the worst looking structures I've even seen. They should be ashamed. Dazzee

Hub for an Empire
Sep 15, 2006, 1:27 AM
^^^^ I didn't read the article yet,,,but will glance at it now in the Journal of Business about the Worthy's building their own furniture for the 21- Story (19 above ground apparently) tower! They are making 1,902 pieces of furniture and 1,904 drawer faces for the 320 room hotel!

Does the furniture in the Flintstone's cartoon come to mind for some people? :)

Walt stated he didn't find furniture to meet his expectations! So they are going to build it. ......The finish painting involves glazing with shades of brown with a little red and black to give it a textured look. The paint is meant to complement the safari theme!

Anyone want to swing from the new tower to the original Davenport Hotel for a Tropical drink? :)

Glad to see Famous Dave's BBQ is looking at sites in the Spokane Metro area!

urbanlife
Sep 15, 2006, 1:53 AM
safari spokane........do I really need to say more than that, honestly?

chepe
Sep 15, 2006, 10:19 PM
Looks like my optimism got the best of me on the window idea mentioned above. The small openings are for HVAC units. Looked like windows for a minute as they were framing in the openings. I also read the JOB article about Worthy's company making all the furniture for the rooms.

What is interesting is that the website for the Davenport talks about how the rooms have hand carved mahogany furniture etc. From the mock up of the new tower room all the furniture looks built in and certainly not made of mahogany. I just really wonder how the new rooms will stack up to the rooms in the original (other than having what look to be better TVs).

Hub for an Empire
Sep 18, 2006, 12:23 AM
I was downtown today. Looks like the Penthouse level on the Davenport Tower varies from the original rendering that was published in the Journal of Business? In that rendering, the penthouse level was only a partial floor with more glass and a balcony around it. What I saw today, was on the 19th floor, openings for windows on the west side. Not sure if this was a budget cutting action? I take it now, the top level will be just like the other floors? I was hoping something different for the top floor, to make something unique for at least the top floor? I know some people expressed they thought there should be some windows on the east and west sides, but to me, it looks funny to have no windows on the 1st to 18th floors of the west side, and then to have these funny window openings on the 19th floor, IMO.

Any opinions on this from anyone?

chepe
Sep 18, 2006, 8:35 PM
You're right about the change from the rendering. The rendering clearly showed a glassed in type of top floor with what looked to be a significant amount of balcony space. As it is now, the top floor looks like it is going to be similar to the floors below but with more windows. Also, the top floor pre-fab panels do not have the windows already inserted as do the floors below.

Another thing I'm curious about is the layout of the rooms. I watched as they built most of this tower but unless they reshape the interior significantly all the rooms (except the top floor) look like they are the same size. I was wondering how this will work for the suites, etc. The current layout looks like six rooms on the north and six rooms on the south facing sides of the building with a hallway running east-west. The interior walls all looked to be placed in the same location for each floor. Unless the suites are at either end of the east west hallway (so the hallway doesn't have to cut the room in half) I don't see how there will be a square footage difference in any of the rooms.

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 19, 2006, 2:05 PM
[quote=Trebor of Spokane]In this picture you will notice that on either side of the elevator are wood doors with numbers on them. on the 2nd floor above ground there is the number 4 and on the 3rd floor above ground ther is the number 5. Today they finishes number 8 or the sixth floor above ground. So, though the Davenport web site says 21 floors, only 19 of them will be above ground. Floors above level 2 seem to be only about 9 foot high. My best guess is this building only comes in at 200 ft, maybe 210. The Metroplitan Finacial Center is listed on Emporis at 243 feet and the Bank of America building at 288 ft. This building will be no were close to being Spokanes tallest, not even the 3rd tallest (paulsen 221 and us bank 217)

^ posted on pg 9.

today driving on the freeway i noticed that the building looked to be the third tallest. i dont think it is going to get much higher than today but it is defenitely taller than paulsen now.

I should have sticked to my initial assesment about the height. the official height keeps is below being the third tallest.

From todays Spokesman Review:
Davenport tower nearly at final height

September 19, 2006
Construction crews working on the Davenport Hotel Tower in downtown Spokane say the 21-story building will "top out" this week, meaning all the major structural components of the precast concrete building will be in place.
"I've heard this is the tallest precast building west of the Mississippi," said Joe Stewart, who is coordinating the installation work for Central Pre-Mix. "It's been a challenge just figuring out how to do it. It's staged for each elevation as we've gone up."
Stewart said he's using a crane with a 300-ton capacity to build the 210-foot high structure and the biggest piece of pre-cast concrete they've installed was 120,000 pounds. "The ones we're setting today are 17-by-28 feet," he said.
After the crews finish with the main building, they will immediately switch to the five-story parking garage behind the hotel tower, Stewart said.
The new hotel will offer 319 rooms, 6,000 square feet of meeting space and a new restaurant and bar. Davenport Hotel owner Walt Worthy has said in the past that the tower should be open by January

chepe
Sep 21, 2006, 6:42 PM
Story and video clip regarding the Davenport Tower topping out today. The Davenport reps state that the new tower will have its own personality and independent existence from the original Davenport. Sounds like they are already trying to keep them as separate as possible except for the name. I'm thinking the rates at the new tower will be lower by a fair margin than those in the original tower.

http://www.kxly.com/news/index.php?sect_rank=2&section_id=560&story_id=4959

RemiO
Sep 21, 2006, 8:09 PM
The Rookery is going down, but the lot will be up for sale. Fingers crossed something good will happen there. From http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_breakingnews_pf.asp?ID=7445

Demolition of Rookery to begin in the next two weeks

From staff reports
September 21, 2006

Demolition of the 72-year-old Rookery Building in downtown Spokane will begin within the next two weeks after crews finish removing asbestos, the property manager for owner Wendell Reugh said Thursday.

When the Rookery demolition begins, Steve Gill said, crews simultaneously will start removing asbestos from the 91-year-old Mohawk Building next door. The Mohawk also will be torn down after asbestos work is complete. Both buildings are on the block bounded by Riverside, Sprague, Howard and Stevens.

Gill said Reugh told the city of Spokane he’d offer the one-acre site for sale when demolition is complete. Local and out-of-town buyers have expressed interest, he said.

Historic preservationists worked for years trying to save both historic buildings from the wrecking ball, but numerous deals fell through. Potential buyers complained that Reugh placed too high a price on the property, but Reugh responded that the deals required him to carry too much of the financial burden.

The city of Spokane intervened last fall, going as far as offering to serve as an intermediary in a buy-and-sell agreement, but announced in June that it had exhausted efforts to save the buildings.

urbanlife
Sep 21, 2006, 8:23 PM
what's the asking price? Plan on it being up for sale for a very long time.

RemiO
Sep 21, 2006, 9:41 PM
I have this feeling he'll actually up the price. Everything works a bit differently in Reughland.

SPOKANITE
Sep 22, 2006, 12:43 AM
Next stop: City Council.

Article here: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_breakingnews_pf.asp?ID=7455

Hearing examiner OKs Kendall Yards

Alison Boggs
Staff writer
September 21, 2006

A residential and commercial project proposed for 80 acres just north of downtown Spokane took a huge step forward Thursday when the city of Spokane’s hearing examiner approved it.

Over the next 20 years, Kendall Yards will bring 2,600 residences and 1 million square feet of commercial space to the land poised above the north bank of the Spokane River. The project is proposed as an urban village, where everyone from college students to retirees will live in housing ranging from apartment buildings to town homes to upscale condominiums. Housing will be accompanied by shops, restaurants, and landmark plazas that will draw in the public and connect to the Centennial Trail.

“This is a great accomplishment for the community and I think it’s going to be a showcase development and provide innumerable benefits to the city,” said Tom Reese, project manager for Kendall Yards. “We’re very very pleased with what the hearing examiner came back with. It’s pretty much a straight across approval … as we had submitted it.”

Hearing Examiner Greg Smith somehow managed to walk an extremely fine line as both the development team and the project’s two most vocal critics applauded the decision. Though Smith denied an appeal of the environmental approval for the project, the appellants, John and Rachael Paschal Osborn, said they were happy with the decision.

“All of the concerns we raised were addressed in the conditions of the permit,” Paschal Osborn said. “We feel that the hearing examiner understood the issues that were being raised and put appropriate conditions on the project to address those concerns.”

Despite expressing approval, the Osborns said they are still mulling appealing the decision to the City Council, which must be done within 14 calendar days — by Oct. 5 at 4:30 p.m.

Hub for an Empire
Sep 22, 2006, 1:49 AM
It will be nice to see Kendall Yards developing. Sad to hear about the Rookery Block...seems a loss, but that part of downtown needs some changes and soon.

Dazzeetrader
Sep 23, 2006, 5:55 PM
Glad that rat infested Rookery Building is destroyed. I went by the new Tower today. Although many people are excited about it, it's still an eyesore IMO. Has Walt ever built a nice building? As Prium will testify, Rockpoint is falling apart. The Davenport was a rehab but he didn't build it. Nice rehab though. American West plaza is gorgeous but those type of buildings cost a lot. I hear some fabulous new buildings are on the way though. This City is gorgeous and deserves some classic architecture for it's skyline. Dazzee

urbanlife
Sep 24, 2006, 12:39 AM
Dont expect any thing built on the Rookery block any time soon, unless the price tag for it drops to about 1.2 mil.....seeing that is all the land without the buildings is worth.

urbanlife
Sep 25, 2006, 12:09 AM
So has the Rookery building actually been torn down now?

and if so, someone should go take pictures, curious what it looks like now.

SPOKANITE
Sep 25, 2006, 5:38 AM
So has the Rookery building actually been torn down now?

Nah, it's still standing. As RemiO said it looks as if they're finishing up the asbestos abatement on it. Once done, and down, they'll move on to the Mohawk.

urbanlife
Sep 25, 2006, 7:01 PM
Nah, it's still standing. As RemiO said it looks as if they're finishing up the asbestos abatement on it. Once done, and down, they'll move on to the Mohawk.

So has anyone done any work to see how much the property will be for sale for once the buildings are gone? Without the buildings, it will have to go for a lower cost, which seems idiotic on Ruegh's part not to of sold the buildings when he had the chance.

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 26, 2006, 2:07 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/business/story.asp?ID=151448

sustainable
Sep 26, 2006, 6:52 PM
Hey guys, if you aren't subscribers to Spokesman-Review than click on this link to view the worthy story: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=151448

CrimsonW
Sep 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
...Has Walt ever built a nice building? As Prium will testify, Rockpoint is falling apart...

I don't understand the Anti-Worthy sentiment among some folks. Seems to me the Worthys have done a lot of good for the community through their projects.

And I highly doubt that Prium would give the Worthys another $27m (for the Wells Fargo building and vacant lot to the South) if the previous $80+m they paid the Worthys for Rock Pointe turned out to be money spend on buildings that are "falling apart."

:koko:

hcnate
Sep 27, 2006, 1:23 AM
http://www.omsarch.com/portfolio_details.php?cid=8&id=96

Trolling around the internet and discovered the aforementioned link. Color pictures of the Howard / Wall St. Condo project.

urbanlife
Sep 27, 2006, 3:06 AM
not too shabby, would be good for the density and activness to that area.

Dazzeetrader
Sep 27, 2006, 3:44 AM
Citizen.....beauty is in the eye of beholder I guess. But just exactly what "good" has been provided? You must mean the funded restoration of the Davenport.
And if you think the Rockpoint isn't falling apart, ask the people who lease from the 5th to the 7th floor. I'm sure they enjoyed the AC provided this past Summer. A cozy 85 degress all Summer.
Do you think any Worthy building is pleasing to the eye? My point was that they're ALL boxes. Big or small, well intended or not, they're all boxes. Do they add to the architectural of the fair city of Spokane? Well, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. The Worthys have worked hard. Nobody doubts it as far as I know. My thought is that the architecture for a growing modern city should be better. That's all....Dazzee

urbanlife
Sep 27, 2006, 3:53 AM
Worthy has done good things for Spokane, but it is true, when it comes to architecture, minus the Davenport has really been a hit or miss for them. I don't mind Rock Pointe, but the construction and the upkeep of it is very questionable.

The new tower and the parking garage and the expansion to the Davenport really points out best how little he understands the power that architecture can have if done right.

Hub for an Empire
Sep 27, 2006, 6:01 AM
I was surprised to hear that Worthy is selling the Wells Fargo Center! Good to see Prium taking a big interest in Spokane!

The color rendering looks nice on the Wall Street Condos. Seems to mix the Old brick from Old Spokane with the cream colors of Modern Spokane. I do like how the first computer generated rendering has the building stepped.

Worthy seems to use a lot of mirrored glass in the buildings he built over the years. Too bad, he doesn't use mirror glass on the top floor of the Davenport Tower....it might improve, especially the South elevation! IMO. I think he needs some type of cap or indication of a top floor. The edging of the top and utility roof looks to straight and seems unfinished. I can deal with the building in general, but I think from the freeway side it needs some help. I was looking at the building from Cliff Drive on Sunday. Looks like he has space to add a logo or something to the top (on the south side)?

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 27, 2006, 6:36 AM
a few comments about Worthy and his architecture.

1. it was mentioned a few posts back by Crimson that it was not understood why Prium would buy another structure from Worthy if the Rock Point deal had been so terrible. It is possible that they understand that the Wells Fargo builiding was not built by worth but another developer. making it a sound investment becasue it is of better quality than Worthy builds.
2. About architecture in spokane. There was a time when Spokane was a mining and railroad town in the early 1900's and Spokane was rolling in the money and great architecture was being build all over downtown. Then the mining and railroads disapeared and spokane was left being a service town and most of the money left with it, and things were fairly stagnet till the worlds fair in 74. But Spokane was still just a service town, and through the early 80's Spokane saw a few highrises built. Then we went through another stagnent period tills the around 93 when we saw a quickening of our economy and a lot happened here, but almost all of it was suburban development. Then things when stagnent again in the late 90's till 2003. Finally a new urban awarness and peoples attitudes about our downtown is on the rise, and that is great. But...there still is not enough money in this still service town to throw money at great architecture. Right now invenstors are still just feeling the waters to find out if Spokane has the potential to make profits for them. until they lose their appehension and see that Spokane is ready for this they are going to build as cheaply as possible make as much profit as they can and decide if they want to invest greater money. I guess what i am saying is we are in the baby steps faze and seeing if Spokane has the ability to eventually jog and then run. it's going to take some time and spokane needs a lot more high paying jobs and not just a bunch of Californians and Seattiets selling there homes for unbelievable profits, buying twice the square footage here for half the price as they sold for, then retiring on the profits. It is happening, but it is still pretty darn slow compared to other Cities. Hopefully we can start performing like Boise does. i was down there a few weeks ago and it is amazing what has and is going on in that city. Boise use to be half the size of spokane a few years ago and dreaming of being like spokane, now i read the posts over in the Mountain west section and they dont even mention spokane. They are comparing and competing with Salt Lake and Denver. Spokane needs to find the climate that Bosie has created for itself. Anyway those are just my observations and my opinions and it's late and time to go to bed.

Trebor

Hub for an Empire
Sep 27, 2006, 7:00 AM
Actually several things happened in the late 1970's and 1980's to put Spokane's economy in a stagnate mode. .....and it seems that only until recently we are recovering to a degree from it and are in the process of understanding our economy. True, we need better paying jobs here.
During those years, several companies that were based in Spokane........American Sign and Indicator ( World's largest Electronic Sign maker was invented and based here); Cascade Airways (Again the largest Commuter Airline in the US and based in Spokane); Old National Bank ; Murphey Favor (Investment Company); Crescent Department Store....and others merged or were bought by other companies. Also Mining, Agriculture and Forest products took a hit during those years. Need I mention Kaiser?
So, we had major hits with our economy.

During the recent years, our economy is making a come back with Potlach Forest Products ; Red Lion Inns; Sterling Savings Bank and other banks having their headquarters here.

I don't think we should discount the advances that have been made here over the last seven years. RPS seemed to start the ball rolling.
Have you noticed the small things....such as restaurants and even people's attitudes changing here? We just started the upward movement, so it's time for some advancement for the region.

All I know, I prefer to live here compared to other places.

CrimsonW
Sep 27, 2006, 10:55 PM
Dazzee:

I've never said I even like the new building...what I have said is that I'm going to withhold judgment until it's done.

I'm not sure what you meant by "funded" restoration of the Davenport...but you seem to be implying that the Worthys didn't have any nickels involved in the $35m restoration...which is of course far from the truth.

I don't think Walt and Karen Worthy should be sainted...but I do think that the restoration of the Davenport buys them some serious leeway...at least with me. And you may not value the other contributions they've made to the community (whether it be charitable contributions, providing jobs, rehabbing old derilect buildings, constructing new buildings) but I do. It's easy to be a critic...but it takes a bigger cajones to actually put some skin in the game.

Your original message also implied that somehow the Worthys put one over on Prium by selling them a complex of buildings (Rock Pointe) that contained latent defects and/or latent maintenance issues. Prium spent in excess of $80m to buy Rock Pointe. Given that amount of money, if your assertion were correct Prium might spend $27m to sue Worthy...but certainly not to buy another building from him.

I, you nor anyone else needs to like the new tower...and I haven't decided what I think about it yet...but I don't think the personal attacks on his character and integrity are necessary.

After so many years of watching Spokane get left behind its other NW "brethren" I'm happy there are folks like the Worthys, the Barbieris, Marshall Chesrown, Rob Brewster and others who are willing to take chances and risks in an effort to not only make money but also grow and improve Spokane and the INW. I'm not saying these folks are above criticism, but that criticism should be fair and respectful.

For what it's worth.

:cheers:

Hub for an Empire
Sep 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
^^^^ I do think the Worthy's should be thanked for saving the Davenport Hotel. I'm hoping for the best for the new hotel also. Even if people don't like the new building, what is better....a blank parking lot that the hotel replaced? It should really generate some foot traffic and the new Condo building will generate more activity for the southern part of downtown.
It is true, Walt is paying the bill, so he has the freedom to built whatever he wants!

It is nice to see so many new projects coming to Spokane! It is about time! Glad to FINALLY noticing Spokane's residents getting behind the band wagon and realizing negative attitudes only suppressed the movement ahead for the City and region!

Can't wait to see Kendall Yards, the U-District and the new Wall/Howard Street Condos move forward! They still need to aim for higher paying jobs though!

James Bond Agent 007
Sep 28, 2006, 12:03 AM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2725/hildur1kv9.jpg

urbanlife
Sep 28, 2006, 12:31 AM
cute....really cute.....who is this sponsor?

James Bond Agent 007
Sep 28, 2006, 12:33 AM
^
I knew you would like it. ;)

It's some chick in Iceland.

Hub for an Empire
Sep 29, 2006, 3:13 PM
For those interested in creating more jobs for the Spokane Regional Economy, you might catch COUNCIL CONNECTION on CHANNEL 5 from now to the end of October. Al French hosted a panel of about 7 people dealing with Jobs, Jobs, Jobs on Channel #5, last night. It will be rebroadcasted on Cable.

The panel included people from as far away as Trail B.C., and included a representative from Avista and the Congresswoman's office.

Looks like there are plans to broaden the scope of the North - South Corridor to include Canada and down to the Port of Lewiston to create a transportation hub/network (Highway/Rail/Air). We can all thank Interstate 5 and the traffic problems for helping to support funds for the North-South Corridor, so commercial traffic can bypass Seattle from their journey from Canada to California!

It is good to see the regional cities working together for a common goal! I hope this advances. For those interested in the B.C. study on the Corridor go to these two websites:

http://www.rdkb.com/siteengine/activepage.asp?NewsID=26&bhcp=1

AND

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:a-rUF37Hr8AJ:www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/reports_and_studies/BC-US_Joint_Hwy_Corridor_Study.pdf+Spokane,+Trail+B.C.,+transportation+corridor&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=13

sustainable
Sep 29, 2006, 7:22 PM
In an effort to keep the good name of the Davenport Hotel we might want to just refer to the new safari hotel as Worthy Tower. Heck, I think calling it the Davenport Tower gives the town of Davenport a bad name, go gorillas.

As far as Worthy Tower is concerned, am I correct in assuming that the top is finished now and that from the freeway side you will just have one wall segment coming up near the elevator shafts looking like an out of place lego? Everything else is a straight line on the building and so I assumed they would finish the top off the same way as the wells fargo building. Anybody know?

Thanks all for a good discussion thus far, should we get a separate thread started for separate projects such as Kendall Yards or is this general Spokane/CDA one sufficient?

revrw
Sep 29, 2006, 11:34 PM
I think a project of that magnitude deserves its own thread.

revrw
Sep 29, 2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks all for a good discussion thus far, should we get a separate thread started for separate projects such as Kendall Yards or is this general Spokane/CDA one sufficient?

I think a project of that magnitude deserves its own thread.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 2, 2006, 1:51 AM
I drove by the Lincoln Building this week. The remodeling sure makes the building more appealing. I like what they did to the roof.

Any opinion on this from anyone?

Also, looks like the final paint color is going on the Tower on West 1st Avenue! It will be interesting what he does to the top floor, if he has some type of cap or variation to the top floor.

revrw
Oct 2, 2006, 8:21 AM
I drove by the Lincoln Building this week. The remodeling sure makes the building more appealing. I like what they did to the roof.

Any opinion on this from anyone?

I wonder if they have any tenants lined up for the 1st floor retail spots? I believe there will be 4 retail spots. Does anyone have any info on that?

Hub for an Empire
Oct 3, 2006, 1:57 PM
^^^^ Also they are restoring a few older buildings next to the old Cyrus O'Leary's Pie Plant on 2nd Avenue. 2nd Avenue and Washington Street. Anyone hear what is going into these buildings?

revrw
Oct 4, 2006, 4:46 AM
^ Hub, I think a cheese market is going in over there. I am not sure about that, but I remember hearing something about a cheese market over near Vino's and the old Cyrus O'Leary's Pie Plant.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 4, 2006, 3:04 PM
^^^^ Thanks for the information, Revrw!

My, the Spokane-CDA thread has been awfully quiet for awhile!

RemiO
Oct 4, 2006, 10:46 PM
Saunder's Cheese you mean? It's already open, two doors down from Vino. It's on 210 S Washington. A chocolate store is going in between Vino and Saunder's too.

revrw
Oct 6, 2006, 7:29 AM
Good news to my ears!!!

http://spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=153215

urbanlife
Oct 6, 2006, 7:36 AM
well seeing I am never giving the Spokesman my money, I can only guess that this is about the Kendall Yards passing and can move forward. Which I am super excited about this.

Also it looks like the Fox theater building, just got another 7million dollars donated to it....that is good news for them, I would love to see that theater be another gem for that little city.

Black Box
Oct 6, 2006, 7:49 AM
You know, I have to confess, I love Spokane. A very best friend of mine is from Spokane and I have taken two trips to Spokane in the past year. I'm not sure when I'll make it back, since I'm so busy going from coast to coast, but I think the next time will be in the Autumn (not this one). I hear it is gorgeous during this time of year. So, I didn't take the time to read through all of the posts, but how is the VOX Tower shaping up? Most of us on the wet side don't think about Spokane. That's too bad. It really does positively contribute to the character of the state. Anyways, she is in Spokane right now, so I'm thinking of her and I'm thinking of Spokane. The Merq is fun, but I never made it to the Crying Baby (?) bar downtown. I adore the Bloomsday sculpture and the sky ride. The Spokane Falls are amazing and there is great historical architecture in Spokane. Manitou Park, along with the scenic drive on the way to Huckleberry's is a plus. And the thrift store shopping is some of the best I've experienced.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 6, 2006, 2:11 PM
^^^^ Thanks Black Box! It's nice to hear some positive comments from someone not living in Spokane. It's too bad west siders don't come more in this direction to visit, but hopefully the word gets out and that will change shortly with all the things happening to our community. Haven't heard much about the Vox Tower. I hope it gets started soon.

It will be nice to see some activity at Kendall Yards, it should boost the community spirit some more! Glad to hear about the $7 million for the Fox! It is a treasure.

revrw
Oct 6, 2006, 7:28 PM
^^urban....FYI. You don't have to pay to subscribe online to the Spokesman. I don't pay either, but I get all of the info from their website. All you have to do is create a user name and password.

urbanlife
Oct 6, 2006, 8:30 PM
I have one and it keeps trying to charge me. I might try with another email address and see what happens. Actually it wants to know if I am a household subscriber, and seeing I am not, then it trys to charge me.

RemiO
Oct 7, 2006, 1:00 AM
Yeah, they definitely charge for a lot of their content. Only a small part of the site (plus blogs and 7) is free.

Black Box
Oct 7, 2006, 5:39 AM
Imagine if a highspeed train existed between Seattle and Spokane. The drive can be long, the fastest I made it back from Spokane to Seattle was 3 and a half hours.

mcbaby
Oct 7, 2006, 5:51 AM
imagine if spokane had a light rail.

Black Box
Oct 7, 2006, 5:52 AM
Well, it's hard imagining Seattle will have light rail. I still mourn the Monorail.

revrw
Oct 7, 2006, 6:36 AM
We'll....it will be interesting to see if light rail passes on the November ballot in light of lower gas prices. The problem is that people usually vote on emotion, and if they feel good about current gas prices they will not vote yes for light rail. If they only would realize that they will be complaining next summer about gas prices all over again. This is a very important vote. If it does not pass, it will be awhile before Spokane has this opportunity again. The cost to Spokane is relatively cheap in comparison to other metro areas that are constructing light rail. Please vote yes Spokane!!!!

CrimsonW
Oct 10, 2006, 1:10 AM
Well Box...I've got the perfect way for you to cut down on drives home from seeing your friend...move to Spokane ;)

Instead of a train between Spokane and Seattle (which would just make it easier for Seattleites to come to Spokane)...I'm all in favor of a bullet train from Spokane to Pullman!

The revenue lost from traffic tickets would more than be made up in sales tax on beverage sales!

:cheers:

FireFighter74
Oct 10, 2006, 1:26 AM
Here's a link to Spokane light rail. Light Rail Simulator

http://www.spokanelightrail.com/spokanelightrail/sub.aspx?id=2915

I think Light rail would be the greatest project for this city, more important for growth than Kendall Yards. Unfortunately I don't think "enough" people in Spokane have the vision to see how light rail could help this city. People will say that we don’t need it and in 5 years or so, when it will cost 3x more to build, people will ask for it.

Black Box
Oct 10, 2006, 7:26 AM
But, I'm not ready to move again. No, not yet.

chepe
Oct 10, 2006, 5:51 PM
I'd love to see the light rail sytem get up and running. Ideally, it would tie into a city core streetcar line(s), which has also been discussed. If you could have streetcars serving the hospital district, browne's addition, kendall yards/legal district, arena, and gu/u-district all tying into downtown and the light rail line it would do amazing things for transportation and development in the city core. Of course, there isn't likely to be enough $ to build both any time soon.

iheartskyscrapers
Oct 10, 2006, 5:56 PM
In fictional development news....

On the CBS sitcom "How I met your mother" last night, one of the characters, who is an architect in New York City, was designing a skyscraper for Spokane.

Sorry, I don't have any renderings though ;)

revrw
Oct 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
Most of the talk about skyscrapers in Spokane is fictional anyway. LOL

Hub for an Empire
Oct 11, 2006, 12:30 AM
Anyone hear any news lately about the VOX Tower?

CrimsonW
Oct 11, 2006, 1:21 AM
But, I'm not ready to move again. No, not yet.

Well...when you're ready you can borrow my truck...just don't expect me to lift anything heavy.

Black Box
Oct 11, 2006, 5:07 AM
^ I certainly appreciate your offer and your charming sense of humor.

revrw
Oct 11, 2006, 6:12 AM
No news on the VOX lately. Word is...it is still moving forward. They did set the completion date back a little bit. Probably Spring of 09. It does look like Prium is getting ready to start construction on the Wall street tower. I saw materials pileing up at the intersection of 2nd and Howard. That is the only good news I have for today.

spokane86
Oct 11, 2006, 6:04 PM
I spoke with some folks from ConoverBond (Rob Brewster's company) at the LaunchPad event the other day. Word on the VOX is that it's set to begin construction in June, and like previously stated, will take about 2 years to complete (mid-2009).

I was able to get some details. Street level will of course be retail. Floors 2-5 will be for parking, 6-29 will be apartments, and 30-33 (yes, 33!) will be condos. Floors 30 & 31 will be made up of several smaller condos and 32 & 33 will have much larger condos.

The specs are still being tweaked, but this is definite. Part of the project is being funded through HUD, so that explains the loooooong delay in getting the project kicked off. At this point the issue isn't so much permitting as it is the aforementioned.

I'm new to this forum but I really like what I've found. I've been following developments in Spokane for years. I'll be sure to check back often and provide updates. Thanks.

revrw
Oct 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you Spokane86, to the forum. I am looking forward to any additional insight and information you can bring in regards to inland northwest projects and developments.

urbanlife
Oct 12, 2006, 12:34 AM
that is good news about the VOX and yeah HUD can be a bitch to deal with and can easily delay any project, but it is also a great sign that something is happening.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 12, 2006, 1:39 AM
Good to hear about the news about the VOX and Wall Street Condos. Sounds like the plans are going through for the VOX. Welcome Spokane86!

allennw
Oct 12, 2006, 5:39 AM
hello from the deep south. been reading the spokane/cda post for a while. i lived in spokane in the 80's! alway's thought spokane was a kickass place. glade to see spokane is on the edge of becoming a medium size citie' good luck with the vox,kendall yards,all the project's coming to spokane/cda :tup:mybe a 400'footer in downdown spokalu in five or six year's

allennw
Oct 12, 2006, 5:46 AM
hello from the deep south. been reading the spokane/cda post for a while. i lived in spokane in the 80's! alway's thought spokane was a kickass place. glade to see spokane is on the edge of becoming a medium size citie' good luck with the vox,kendall yards,all the project's coming to spokane/cda :tup:mybe a 400'footer in downdown spokalu in five or six year's

revrw
Oct 12, 2006, 7:40 AM
Nice to see U-district housing coming online. They have also started construction on the nursing school.

Construction about to begin on major U-District project

Alison Boggs
Staff writer/ Spokesman Review
October 12, 2006

Construction is about to begin on one of the first major residential projects aiming to become part of downtown Spokane's burgeoning University District.

The Edge Development Group LLC plans to transform the four-story, 30,000-square-foot Western Soap Building into The Edge, a mixed-use building with 19 urban-industrial style condominiums and ground-floor retail.

"We consider it the predominant building in one of two gateways into the University District," said Chris Batten, co-founder of RenCorp, the architecture, brokerage and construction firm that is the managing member of The Edge Development Group. Main Avenue and Sprague Avenue are the "gateways" into the U-District, Batten said, and The Edge is at 103 E. Sprague Ave., just east of Division Street.

"It's got a great view out over downtown, overlooking the University District, overlooking downtown, looking north," Batten said.

Batten said the $4.2 million project will begin as soon as permits can be secured from the city. Residences should be ready for occupancy by July 2007, Batten said. The condos will range in size from 800 to 1,400 square feet and in price from $200,000 to just under $500,000, Batten said. Three of the condos, on the northwest side of the building, will be two-story townhouse-style units.

The development group purchased the building from WR&R Childs on March 1 for $667,500, property records show. The building's 2007 assessed valuation was $579,360.

Batten said the 1907-era building was renamed The Edge due to its location at the edge of both downtown and the U-District. The name also refers to his company's building style.

"It's more indicative of the type of construction we like to do and the type of projects we like to do," Batten said. "A little less refined, a little more industrial and a little more edgy."

Batten said when construction is finished the building will look nothing like it does today. It will have floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking downtown to the north, with exposed concrete, steel and glass mixed in with the historical features of the building. Street trees will adorn the front and the façade will be completely redone, he said. The building will feature a rooftop garden and on-site, secured parking.

RenCorp works to develop condominiums it can offer at prices beginning in the $200,000 range, in contrast to some of the more upscale projects taking place in the city's core, which start around $500,000 and stretch beyond $1 million.

Part of RenCorp's approach has been to find viable properties at the edge of downtown, mostly near the railroad viaduct. Batten said as the U-District develops momentum, the neighborhoods near it, especially along East Sprague, will start to transform.

"What we see on the south side of the tracks is one of the most significant development opportunities in or around the core," Batten said. "There are infill lots up and down Sprague, vacant lots that just have great potential, for any development. You don't get that kind of proximity to downtown without obvious recognition of the potential development opportunities."

Batten also commended the city of Spokane's multi-family housing property tax exemption program for making projects like his possible. The City Council is expected to consider The Edge for inclusion in the program on Monday. Projects approved under the program are exempt from property taxes for 10 years with a goal of encouraging more housing projects within the city's core and other targeted areas.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 13, 2006, 1:39 AM
^^^^ I'm glad to see these smaller projects starting in Spokane. Collectively, the smaller projects will make the same impact on the economic front as some larger projects (Davenport Tower, Vox) and will give the city it's flavor and variety.

Also in today's business section, there was a nice article how Spokane International Airport has a near $900 million annual impact on Spokane's economy. Way to go GEG!

Also, on Cable Channel 5 this month, Mayor Hession's segment this month is on changes coming on East Sprague. Looks like more improvements are coming that way and what a great link to the U-District!

urbanlife
Oct 13, 2006, 5:11 AM
I would love to see all of that land east of Division turn into a "Pearl" like area. Not as big as the Pearl here in Portland, but something of that idea would be nice.

iheartskyscrapers
Oct 13, 2006, 6:49 AM
^^^^^I'm right there with ya Urbanlife. I think the U-District has so much potential, and I dream of owning a cool condo with a great view of downtown there someday. If it could be half as cool as the Pearl, I'd be happy.

I'd like to see The U-district, once developed, spur growth along the 2nd and 3rd corridor, with mixed use projects. Maybe some cool condos, along with nice rental buildings mixed in with a mini shopping and restaurant district.

CrimsonW
Oct 13, 2006, 11:06 PM
The east end of downtown (College Park as I like to call it because I refuse to use the term "U District") is going to be a very, very, very cool place. I think that eventually extends down Sprague into some of the more seedy areas of Spokane (in and around the old Playfair site).

There is a lot of old good, but underused and run down, building stock in that area. A catalyst is going to be doing something with the old Playfair site and the nearby Spokane Transfer building.

Albi needs to be replaced and there was talk of the local school districts building a football stadium on the Playfair site. I think that's a great idea but it's also not a big enough idea...I say build a replacement for Albi on that site. Something to the tune of a 45-55k stadium that can have multiple uses.

On a more personal note. Chris Batten, Len and the rest of the folks at RenCorp are all first class people who love Spokane and are doing some really fantastic work in the city. They're also smart business people. I neglected to include them in my previous list of people making things happen in the city and that was an unforgivable oversight on my part.

revrw
Oct 14, 2006, 5:47 AM
^I think that may happen, but in order for the Playfair and surrounding area to be redeveloped, light rail will need to be constructed through there. I don't think that the U-district alone will benefit that area in the short term (next 5-10 years).

As for replacing Albi, I would have liked to see them either use the playfair site or construct an open air stadium on the Washington/Idaho border along I-90. That is the only way I think this region could support and fund a 50K seat stadium. Albi is poorly located and a traffic nightmare when there are big events taking place.

urbanlife
Oct 14, 2006, 6:36 AM
that is true, albi is in a very poor location.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 15, 2006, 11:25 PM
I noticed that on the Prium Companies and Emporis websites the Wall Street Condos are re-named to "One Fifty-Three Wall Street". Just noticed it yesterday.

sg2
Oct 16, 2006, 6:27 PM
It seems that one of the critical projects for the success of the u-district/east Sprague is the proposed pedestrian bridge spanning the rail lines at Sherman St. and Sprague. Currently if you live south of the rail line you have to go either to Division or Hamilton to get to the Riverpoint Campus (which almost neccessitates auto usage) . With the pedestrian bridge more people will be encouraged to live in the East Sprague area as well in South Perry.

revrw
Oct 17, 2006, 6:11 AM
^ I agree with you sg2, but as it stands now, the pedestrian bridge is one of the last things that will be constructed in the U-district. They will probably need federal funding to complete that project and it will be pricey. I think once light rail is established it will run through a portion of the lower east sprague district and that will benefit the area more than anything. There is still alot of land and projects that are taking place north of the railroad tracks in the immediate area of the U-district that will take about 5-10 years to fill in, then after that we will see overflow into the area south of the tracks. IMO.

Dazzeetrader
Oct 17, 2006, 8:25 AM
Crimson said........"After so many years of watching Spokane get left behind its other NW "brethren" I'm happy there are folks like the Worthys, the Barbieris, Marshall Chesrown, Rob Brewster and others who are willing to take chances and risks in an effort to not only make money but also grow and improve Spokane" .

I agree that Spkane has been left behind Crimson. But what exactly have these leaders of the resurgence built? Tell me...one by one...I can't remember a "hallmark high end" property any of them have completed.

I'm all ears. I have faith someone has built a fine property. Which of them or have any of them? ANd don't take it the wrong way. I'm curious though. Is there a list somewhere? Dazzee

urbanlife
Oct 17, 2006, 8:48 AM
Crimson said........"After so many years of watching Spokane get left behind its other NW "brethren" I'm happy there are folks like the Worthys, the Barbieris, Marshall Chesrown, Rob Brewster and others who are willing to take chances and risks in an effort to not only make money but also grow and improve Spokane" .

I agree that Spkane has been left behind Crimson. But what exactly have these leaders of the resurgence built? Tell me...one by one...I can't remember a "hallmark high end" property any of them have completed.

I'm all ears. I have faith someone has built a fine property. Which of them or have any of them? ANd don't take it the wrong way. I'm curious though. Is there a list somewhere? Dazzee

Actually there are quite alot. Brownes Addition wouldnt be the way it is if it wasn't for people like Wells. The Davenport has helped turn around the west end of downtown, now there are several new places and another small hotel that has opened up. Kendall Yards is going to be the biggest change in Spokane history for the city.

Now from the way you sound you are hoping to shoot down all these points, but to get to where Spokane is going, the city needs these things to happen in small doses first. It is impossible to get banks to lend you money if they feel a development is a risk. These developments in Spokane were seen as risks a few years ago because they hadn't been done in Spokane yet. Now banks see them as less of a risk because there is proof that they work. So yeah, these developers are doing good things for imporving on Spokane and the best is yet to come.

Dazzeetrader
Oct 18, 2006, 5:27 AM
Urban! Even Wendell Reugh? lol...Just kidding. I did wonder though....since i Haven't seen the great works of those mentioned deveopers...which ones are the really good ones.
Not being critical of any devoper.....they have guts..but here's what I think: if you're going to build a building.not just a box...let's spend some money like Hagadone does...and put something nice in SPokane. Thus far, I haven't seen any developed by the listed companies. Dave and Julie have done a few cute projects...I agree. But where are those "others" mentioned.

My view is this: until some group really makes it his/hers/their purpose, we won't get a really great project. It's a good business idea to get the HUD types going and to get some project largely funded by grants and taxpayer money. But ..but ..but.until someone loves this town enough and has enough pride in the work, Sookane simply won't measure up to cities who make it their business to have said projects.

Unless and until these developers quit treating Spokane like their private lil cash machines, nothing too great will happen. And that's why..pages ago....I wondered how could anyone love a tall building with AC boxes beneath the windows and cut into the walls. Just big boxes....an uncommon dearth of windows....and all the rest. When I'm in Spokane, I wonder who the hell let these guys loose on such a jewel of a city.

In the old days, people would build grand buildings with style and be "one for the ages". How did this change? Who changed it? What's the future for recovery? Moot points? I sure hope not. Look, I love SPokane for what it was and for what it might be in the future. A 4 season gorgeous town.
I have hpe for the place but this past weekend when I drove around, it just made me sad. Dazzee

revrw
Oct 18, 2006, 5:41 AM
Sheesh............Its not that bad!!! I would like to see more quality projects in Spokane as well, but at the same time I am happy to see some big projects happening at all. After all, it has been 20 years since we have seen significant change to the downtown skyline. I do not like the look of the davenport tower, but I am happy to see a contribution to urban density and a surface parking lot has been removed from downtown and I know the davenport tower is better than a surface parking lot!

Plus if you want to complain about lack of quality projects, you are forgeting about Kendall Yards. NOW........How many cities, especially the size of Spokane, can say that they have or are going to have an 70+acre urban village in their downtown.

I think in Spokane we focus to much on what is happening in Portland and Seattle and wonder why that is not happening here. We'll....the post would be to long to explain the difference, but most of us know why.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 18, 2006, 7:40 PM
^^^^ EXACTLY Revrw!! I'm so tired of people comparing Spokane to Seattle and Portland! Hello...we are a medium sized city! On top of that, there are other cities in the world! Spokane needs to form bonds with other cities outside of the Northwest, since the other cities in the Northwest have their interest in their own advancement.

I'm satisfied with the developments in Spokane over the last several years. Compare Spokane of 1998 to Spokane of 2006! All of these smaller projects should lead to bigger projects in the future! In my opinion, the Convention Center expansion is an impressive project even for a large city!

True some of the projects aren't impressive, but hopefully it will lead to advancement for the Spokane economy! It's nice to see the city in a growth mode again!

urbanlife
Oct 18, 2006, 8:59 PM
personally my comparison to Portland and Spokane is in reference to the Pearl. It wasn't that long ago that it was nothing but rotting warehouses and surface lots.

In a matter of less than 10 years, the Pearl has become the biggest trend in Portland that has taken on a status for the city or what people think Portland is.

2016, think of what Spokane will be. That isn't that far off really.

The point that I am getting at with some of these smaller developers who do care about the city, is that they are taking big risks on small project and turning a profit. This will help them build a capital to take on larger projects in the future. By 2016, these same developers could be making a much larger impact on the city with much better architecture.

As for gems of the city and quality architecture, just look at Ron Wells portfolio of work. He has done a great job renovating old buildings in the city.

People like Ruegh is what is Spokane's problem. There are still too many land owners in the city with his mindset. Hold onto your parking lot till it is worth tens of millions, then try to sell it. Which translates, this will sit vacant till I die and my children are smarter than me and unload the property.

revrw
Oct 18, 2006, 9:39 PM
I agree with your comparison Urban. I know that you are not comparing as much as you are just recommending a model for Spokane to follow.

I personally don't mind when people say things like, "we should model Portland's city planning codes, or we should look into constructing mass transit like Portland. I think those are great models and plans to follow, but I hate when people say, "why doesn't Spokane have this or that like Portland or Seattle". People from Spokane or people who know about Spokane realize that Spokane is just a medium-size city. We are not even on the same playing field as Portland or Seattle. We don't compete for the same companies or events as those cities do. Generally speaking!!! Every now and then, but not on a regular basis.

As for the abundance of surface parking lots downtown, that will only change as more people live downtown and the current vacancies are swallowed up. Spokane stil has a relatively high office vacancy rate downtown. Bellevue is a great example of the removal of the surface parking lots they had downtown to fill a need for office and residence space.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
Urban, I was not referring to your references about Portland with Spokane, when I made my statement. I do think, in general, people in Spokane usually compares Spokane to mostly Seattle. True, we aren't in the same league, in size especially. I do think Spokane has a lot going for it and is under-appreciated by most people here. My main concern is the negativity, over the years from the Spokane Citizens, since it just fosters more lack of activity , economically here.

There is growth going on here, but lets appreciate those small advances and hope they lead to bigger ones for Spokane in the future!

Black Box
Oct 19, 2006, 7:21 AM
^ I really appreciate the optimism you express. Appreciating the small advances that change a city you care about is dear to me as well.

urbanlife
Oct 19, 2006, 8:53 PM
actually my optimism comes from my home town, or the town next to my hometown. Norfolk, VA had it much worse than Spokane at one time, then a hand full of little chances were made in the city and one thing led to another and now they are steamrolling through bigger projects. Granted they still have along way to go, but there is true signs of improvements going on and I think that Spokane will soon have the same chances because of these small developers.

InlandEmpire
Oct 21, 2006, 2:50 AM
Parkwood Business Properties on schedule with commercial condos

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7695/bus01wj3.jpg

COEUR d'ALENE -- A year and a half after it was announced, RiverView Tower is finally under construction.

Parkwood Business Properties' 57,000-square-foot, five-story brick and glass office complex on a three-acre parcel on Northwest Boulevard includes one floor of parking and four floors of office space. The top floor was originally planned for residential use, but that has been changed.

"Our business is commercial," said Ryan Nipp, partner with his father Charlie Nipp and Steve Meyer in Parkwood Business Properties. "We thought we better stick with what we know."

The building is designed for easy access from all four sides, and entry to the site will be off Ironwood Drive, Lakewood Drive and Northwest Boulevard.

Nipp said the project, originally planned for completion by the middle of this year, is now on schedule, though he was unsure when the tower will be finished.

He said Parkwood is working with agent Jim Koon to decide on lease rates and prices for commercial condominiums.

RiverView Tower will offer suites beginning at 700 square feet. A 650-square-foot conference room will be in the ground level and available for use by all tenants. All glass, it will also offer a panoramic view of the lake and river.

"The views are very good," Nipp said.

Contractors Northwest Inc., of Coeur d'Alene is the contractor for the building.

Parkwood Business Properties owns several office and retail buildings in Kootenai County, including the Prairie Shopping Center, Interlake Medical Building, Best Buy and other retail space on U.S. 95.

POST YOUR OPINION View all of the latest commented stories!

Name:
Comments:
Image Verification:

* All comment posts will encounter a possible delay of up to 24 hours.

AUTHOR COMMENT
open minded
Comment made: October 20, 2006 10:03 AM
Very attractive structure. Obviously being built with higher end materials and design. Need much more of these!

S
Comment made: October 20, 2006 9:58 AM
What good is a view of the river if you cant access it? Every inch of it between the NIC beach and PF park is private property. There are so many lakes and rivers in N.Idaho, but unless you have a boat your enjoyment of these places are very limited.

C.A.Johnson
Comment made: October 20, 2006 9:21 AM
Considering the size and placement of this ugly monster, you should use the complete name " THE RIVER VIEW BLOCKING TOWERS" ! I would rather see the old Rutlidge Mill....

Email this story Printer friendly version

urbanlife
Oct 21, 2006, 7:25 AM
not sure that really should be called a tower, but whatever.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
^^^^ Looks like a nice building!

Inland, any news about the Post Falls Outlet Mall?. I heard several months ago that there was going to be changes, but I went over two weeks ago and it still looked the same, and there were several vacancies?

InlandEmpire
Oct 21, 2006, 4:10 PM
^^
yeah Urban I agree.... definitely not a tower but a nice building either way.
^
Hub, - I saw an article in the press about how much the outlets were struggling, even under new ownership. I heard they're going to try to consolidate the retail stores to the building nearest I-90, and the other building will house home-improvement type businesses or something like that.
It's kind of a shame, but oh well! I did hear that Post Falls' new city planner is very concerned with the aesthetics of the city- he wants to make it more attractive from the freeway and encourage more dense development versus prairie sprawl, which could be good.

Hub for an Empire
Oct 21, 2006, 5:23 PM
^^^^ That is good! They still have a few nice stores over there.....Bass Shoe Outlet, etc....... They should have concentrated on the sprawl issue a decade or so ago, so it is good they are looking at aesthetics now!

Liberty Lake sure has had a lot of developments there over the last year also!