PDA

View Full Version : Spokane/ CDA development discussions

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

iheartskyscrapers
Jun 26, 2006, 5:30 PM
I have a client that has a store in the Flour Mill. She said the Mill's owner is form California and has never set foot in Spokane, let alone the Flour Mill. (This was as of last summer, who knows, maybe he has been there since.)

Anyway, she told me that the owner wanted the building to be changed from the collection of shops and restaurants it is now, to 100% office space. My client, along with other shop owners were trying to either change the owner's mind, or find someone else to buy the building. With the new interest in condos, maybe the owner will change his mind from offices and turn it into condos.

It is such a fun building, condos would be cool there, but I really like it as a marketplace, and like you Hub, would love to see it pick back up again.

revrw
Jun 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
As much as I love condo developments in and around downtown, I would hate to see the flour mill converted into condos. I think with all of the planned activites around there; upper falls, science center, the new condo proposal, even Kendall Yards, there is no need to convert that great Spokane landmark!

citymouse
Jun 27, 2006, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how up-to-date this site is, but it almost looks like a condo glut is about to happen. How about more apartments?

http://www.condo-spokane.com

Hub for an Empire
Jun 27, 2006, 1:50 AM
^^^^ I would agree that there needs to be more apartments downtown. I think we just started seeing the Condo craze in Spokane. Most of the projects haven't even opened yet. It's a trend on the national scale about Condo's. I really think it will continue for a few years at least!

Let's hope retail stays in the Flour Mill. What a great site for people to walk to from all the Condo's and after an event at the Arena.

revrw
Jun 27, 2006, 5:12 AM
^^ citymouse......that site is not up-to-date. I know for a fact that there is only about 4-5 units left in the upperfalls condo project unless some people have pulled out, which I highly doubt.

chepe
Jun 27, 2006, 7:04 PM
To chime in on a couple of these topics:

I believe I read an article in the SR or JOB about the flour mill and though the idea was to turn the upper levels into office space but to leave the lower space as retail. I hope that is the case as I think retail is important to have in that area, particularly with the increase in population sure to result from the condo projects in the works.

One reason I was excited about the VOX, other than the scale of the project, is that it would have included a significant number of apartments. Condos are great but downtown is also in need of nice apartment spaces that can be taken by those without the means or desire to purchase a condo. I can only hope that the VOX is more than a nice rendering.

Hub for an Empire
Jun 28, 2006, 1:52 AM
^^^^ I agree. Apartments are needed to have a range of people living downtown. Even small studio apartments for people starting out, would be a nice mix.

I can't visualize no retail in the Flour Mill. I'm sure retail on the main with eateries will be in demand with the changing role the building will play in the future.

Trebor of Spokane
Jun 29, 2006, 2:16 AM
In this picture you will notice that on either side of the elevator are wood doors with numbers on them. on the 2nd floor above ground there is the number 4 and on the 3rd floor above ground ther is the number 5. Today they finishes number 8 or the sixth floor above ground. So, though the Davenport web site says 21 floors, only 19 of them will be above ground. Floors above level 2 seem to be only about 9 foot high. My best guess is this building only comes in at 200 ft, maybe 210. The Metroplitan Finacial Center is listed on Emporis at 243 feet and the Bank of America building at 288 ft. This building will be no were close to being Spokanes tallest, not even the 3rd tallest (paulsen 221 and us bank 217)

http://www.photohosting.info/uploads/0d6cb435d5.jpg

Hub for an Empire
Jun 30, 2006, 1:12 AM
04/01/06 Washington Population Estimates for the Spokane Area from another thread:

Spokane :201,600

Spokane Valley: 87,000

Spokane County: 443,800

Eastern Washington: 1,401,500

urbanlife
Jun 30, 2006, 1:25 AM
I didn't think it would ever compete with a tallest. Worthy doesnt have that kind of ego. This building will be a modest filler and by no means an architectural gem.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 1, 2006, 3:22 AM
In yesterday's Journal of Business, they had a picture of the Davenport Tower construction. Also, the architect had a rendering of the tower in an advertisement for the architectural firm in the same issue.

ghost22
Jul 3, 2006, 4:28 AM
has anyone read about the proposal for the ymca land in riverfont. a developer has offered 5.3 mil for the site and plans to construct 12-13 stories on the site starting in 2008

chepe
Jul 14, 2006, 4:49 PM
A couple of new articles about goings on in Spokane. The first is in the journal of business about proposals for the lot south of the opera house. Sounds like the PFD is going to aquire it in the relatively near future, I just hope they take full advantage of the property and make it a true mixed use project rather than just having parking and convention space that, when not in use, sits empty. Of course, anything is better than the surface parking lot currently in place. The print article has a picture of two towers designed by the architect that owns some of the land. They probably don't fit with the PFD's plan but would certainly be an interesting addition to Spokane's current line-up of boxy taller buildings. http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2829

There was a little blurb in the S-R today that the Park Board is seeking more time to come up with the money to match the devloper's offer on the YMCA condo project. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

urbanlife
Jul 15, 2006, 6:34 AM
I personally would love to see a perfect example of mix use and parking for that entire block. It is key to connecting the convention center to the rest of the city and keep that block active when the convention center is quiet. In measuement size, it is a huge block, so that is a big chance for something great in the heart of the city......but I am guessing it will be squandered and argued over for years to come............hey, isn't the Rookery parking lot up for sale??

James Bond Agent 007
Jul 15, 2006, 7:19 AM
Wow that would be a bummer if they turned the Flour Mill into offices, that's a pretty cool place.

Condos would be OK. Maybe they'll keep a couple of the lower floors as stores and make the rest condos and/or offices.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
I read this JOB article about the plan to turn the former nursing home at 7th and Stevens into affordable Condos/Co-Op project! I thought it was interesting. Close to Pioneer Park and the Corbin House! Walkable distance to downtown and the hospitals too! Smaller projects like these will keep the Condo trend growing stronger in the CBD and make it possible for the middle class to join the trend! See attached article:

_____

Nonprofit plans co-op housing here Printer-Friendly Version
Roughly $7 million project will convert old nursing home near downtown

By Emily Brandler

Community Frameworks, a Spokane, nonprofit affordable-housing provider, has bought a building that formerly housed a nursing home on the South Hill near downtown, and plans to convert it into a cooperative housing project.

Community Frameworks bought the four-level, 24,000-square-foot building, at 424 W. Seventh, late last month from Edgar and Teresa Cleveland, says Scott Person, a real estate agent at Spokane-based Tomlinson Black Commercial Inc. Person and real estate agent Jeff McGougan handled the transaction. Community Frameworks bought the building, which formerly housed Garden Terrace Manor Nursing Home, for nearly $1.2 million, Person says.

The organization plans to develop a co-op project there, at a total estimated cost of roughly $7 million, including the building price, says Chris Venne, development finance manager at Community Frameworks. In such a development, tenants buy shares in a nonprofit co-op housing corporation, which owns and manages the building, Venne says. Those shares cover rent of the units and maintenance of the building, he says. Cooperative housing is prevalent in larger cities, but only a handful of co-ops currently operate here, he says.

Community Frameworks plans to help set up the co-op corporation, Venne says. It hopes to start remodeling the building next spring, and the project likely will take about 10 months to complete, he says. Cortner Architectural Co., of Spokane, is doing the preliminary design work for the project, he says.

Initial configurations show a total of 28 units, including one-bedroom units with about 600 square feet of space and two-bedroom units with 925 square feet of space, Venne says. The estimated prices for the ownership shares that would cover those units are expected to be about $90,000 and $130,000, respectively, he says.

Part of the remodeling project likely will include adding two or three stories to the building, he says. The expansion would add either 12 or 18 units to the development, and prices for those units probably would be slightly higher than those of the other units, he says.

Community Frameworks wants the units to be moderately priced, particularly for people who work downtown, he says.

“There’s so much revitalization going on downtown, but it’s either high-end condos or low-income housing,” Venne asserts. “What’s missing is moderately-priced ownership housing.”

Community Frameworks currently is working to secure financing for the project, he says. It expects to receive funds from the U.S. Federal Housing Administration, banks, and private investors.

Garden Terrace Manor operated here until April 2003, when the Washington state Department of Social and Health Services revoked the license of Cleveland Care Centers Inc., of Washougal, Wash. to operate the 61-bed facility. DSHS determined the nursing home was an imminent threat to the safety of residents. Seattle businessman John Robertson said last August he was planning to develop the building into medical-office buildings, but that project didn’t work out, Person says.

Contact Emily Brandler at (509) 344-1265 or via e-mail at emilyb@spokanejournal.com.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 26, 2006, 7:13 PM
Nice to see the new Condo Tower announced in downtown (See separate thread)!

Did anyone read the article in yesterday's Business Section of the Spokesman about Trader Joe's looking a three properties in downtown for a store?
The first site is the China Restaurant on 3rd Ave. The Second Site is at the Havermale Place in the eastern area of downtown and the last site is the Executive Court (former Ridpath Motel) site on 1st Ave.
I would think the last site would be the best location, since it is centrally located in downtown , plus with the new announcement for the tower....makes it more logical!

Things are really happening in downtown! Nice to see!

chepe
Jul 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
So a quick recap off the top of my head on proposed mid and highrise towers (feel free to add/delete and otherwise correct):

-Vox Tower 32 floors (permitting phase)

-Riverside/Peaceful Valley condo 17 floors (litigation)

-YMCA site 15 floor condo (pending possible park board purchase of property)

-Howard street 15 floor condo (proposed)

-Davenport Tower 19 floor hotel (under construction)

In theory, five new towers of 15 floors or more could be built in the next 2-5 years, pretty impresive considering the lack of vertical building in Spokane for much of the recent past.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
^^^^ There is that possible Condo Highrise at West Terrace on the other side of the Sunset Bridge. I think that is at 13 Stories, but it is running into problems with planning I heard.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
^^^^ There is that possible Condo Highrise at West Terrace on the other side of the Sunset Bridge. I think that is at 13 Stories, but it is running into problems with planning I heard.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 27, 2006, 3:34 AM
Any new pictures of the Davenport Tower anyone? With the addition of the new Condo Tower, downtown will have more concentration of high rise buildings compared to other cities it's size. Currently, it's downtown really compares to a larger city. Strong past, strong future!

urbanlife
Jul 27, 2006, 6:24 AM
A grocery store is the perfect strategic thing for downtown to have it grow.

RemiO
Jul 28, 2006, 5:53 PM
Looks like a Whole Foods might very well happen also.

From http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2846

Effort to attract grocery to downtown intensifies
Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe’s look there, real estate sources say

By Emily Brandler

The opening of a grocery store downtown, which doesn’t have a full-line food store now, would be a boon to residents who live in new and converted multi-occupant buildings, and at least two specialty grocery chains are looking to see whether they can fill that need.

The chains, Whole Foods Market Inc. and Trader Joe’s Co. Inc., apparently are interested in the downtown-Spokane area, although Whole Foods Market also is looking at locations in other parts of the Spokane area, commercial real estate sources and downtown observers here say.

“Trader Joe’s is definitely looking at Spokane, and there have been rumors that Whole Foods would be a great addition to downtown,” says Marty Dickinson, president of the nonprofit Downtown Spokane Partnership (DSP), which promotes economic development in the city core. “We’re starting to be looked at more seriously by people who want to start farmer’s markets or bring grocery chains here.”

Houston-based Whole Foods Market, a natural and organic foods chain, has more than 180 stores in North America and the United Kingdom, including two on the West Side, where it’s currently developing four more stores, its Web site says. Monrovia, Calif.-based Trader Joe’s is a specialty and imported foods retailer with more than 200 stores in 19 states, including 12 in Western Washington, according to its Web site.

The Downtown Spokane Development Plan, which the city of Spokane enacted in 1999, envisioned heightened demand for grocery outlets as commercial and housing activity increased downtown, Dickinson says. Since then, she says, renovation of commercial buildings and a hot condominium market have proved that prediction to be right, and the DSP is focusing on attracting grocery store chains and farmer’s markets here.

“We absolutely need to bring a grocery store into downtown,” she says. “It’s a top priority of ours in working with developers and real estate agents to bring that about.”

Whole Foods Market is eyeing locations here for an outlet, says Chris Bell, a real estate agent at Tomlinson Black Commercial Inc. Whole Foods wants a building that has 60,000 square feet to 80,000 square feet of space and is within 20 minutes driving distance of 200,000 people, Bell says. The chain also typically looks for locations near areas that are highly populated by college-educated residents, he says.

Bell says he talked last March with a Seattle-based broker who handles Whole Foods’ real estate transactions in Washington, and the broker said he was looking at sites for Whole Foods in Spokane’s downtown, near Gonzaga University, and on the North Side.

That broker declined to comment for this story. A spokeswoman for Whole Foods Market says it hasn’t announced any store openings in Spokane, and that it typically releases such information when it announces its quarterly earnings.

Bell says it’s also been rumored that Whole Foods is considering a store in the proposed Kendall Yards development.

Tom Reese, project manager at Kendall Yards, says he’s been talking to retailers and grocery stores, and that a grocery store would be a great anchor for the mixed-use development. He declines to disclose further details.

Dickinson says she has worked with Tomlinson Black Commercial to show properties in downtown Spokane to a representative from Trader Joe’s.

Bell says he showed the Ridpath Hotel’s Executive Court building last month to the Seattle-based real estate agent who handles Trader Joe’s real estate transactions in Washington state. Trader Joe’s is looking for a 12,000-square-foot to 14,000-square-foot building that has 60 to 80 parking spaces, Bell says.

The real estate agent who represents Trader Joe’s couldn’t be reached for comment. A spokeswoman at Trader Joe’s says the company doesn’t have anything to confirm about a possible store here.

“They’ve been looking for months,” Bell says. “They’re committed to doing a location here, and they want to be downtown near the freeway.”

Mark McLees, a real estate agent at Tomlinson Black Commercial, says he has heard that Trader Joe’s has looked at the Top of China Buffet building, located at 202 W. Third, and the 32-story Vox Tower mixed-use building that developer Rob Brewster Jr. has said he wants to build at the east end of downtown.

revrw
Jul 29, 2006, 12:15 AM
I was looking at the critera that Whole Foods desires for their locations and I think the best spot would be right at the northeast corner of Division and riverside. With plans to extend riverside south of the u-district to reconnect with trent, I think that would be an ideal location. Great north/south access as well as east/west being so close to the freeway. High traffic area. Plus they are only looking to build a smaller than normal facility: 60,000-80,000 sqft. In addition, they are looking for highly educated customers. Sitting between the medical district and the U-district; can't get a more educated customer than that!!!!

Hub for an Empire
Jul 29, 2006, 12:41 AM
^^^^ I do hope Rosauer's/Huckleberry's and Yokes gets into the scheme of things, since they are Spokane based and will give more variety. It would be nice if one of them put an Urban style grocery store in the Kendall Yards/ North riverbank area. Also, with Condo's starting in CDA, might be good a grocery store starts in downtown CDA also. I think its best to support local based business! With new Condos, it will increase new services downtown which in turn will increase the need for Commercial Services (which will produce a new Commercial Tower downtown).

whovean
Jul 31, 2006, 2:06 AM
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/095/ee5/095ee5b9-cbe3-42d7-9d7b-a0cfb4cb026d.mediumI stopped by the Davenport tower today and I sadly report, Its not looking any better :slob:

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/49b/ec9/49bec90e-e8de-47a1-acf2-4f4bec4d8416.medium

infact its so ugly it seems they where trying to match Boise'e Hampton Inn:shrug:

James Bond Agent 007
Jul 31, 2006, 2:42 AM
^
Yeah you're right that thing's pretty hideous.

Good thing it isn't too tall!

Hub for an Empire
Jul 31, 2006, 4:31 AM
^^^^ Well it's going to get taller! Too bad it will block a nice highrise like the Washington Trust Bank Building. Still hoping for the best with the Tower though! The new Condo Tower south of the railroad track will help (if it is a good design) since it will be in front of the Wells Fargo Building and east of the new Davenport Tower.

urbanlife
Jul 31, 2006, 6:59 AM
maybe this will inspire taller building around it to block it in. I love what Wells did to the davenport, but when it comes to new architecture the man is clueless.

revrw
Jul 31, 2006, 9:23 AM
maybe he will hang a large banner, advertizing for the figureskating championships, that will cover the whole southside of the building........LOL

UrbanSteroid
Jul 31, 2006, 9:43 AM
:whatthefuck: The worst parts are those completely blank concrete sidewalls. And the windows.........I..........I..........screw it, I'm gonna give myself a brain anuerism, ulsers, and maybe a hernia too.

Please let this building get better.

Hub for an Empire
Jul 31, 2006, 2:06 PM
maybe this will inspire taller building around it to block it in. I love what Wells did to the davenport, but when it comes to new architecture the man is clueless.

^^^^ You mean Worthy, right? Don't think Ron wants to be associated with this building! :)

You can't totally blame Worthy....what about the architectural firm?

Still hoping for the best with the tower!

James Bond Agent 007
Jul 31, 2006, 8:01 PM
Hmmm . . . hasn't anyone been able to dig up a rendering of the Davenport Tower???

revrw
Jul 31, 2006, 11:05 PM
The firm doesn't even want to post a rendering of this building or add it to their portfolio now that they realize how ugly the building is. The city should enact some sort of law for downtown construction stating that "buildings must be asteticly pleasing".

iheartskyscrapers
Jul 31, 2006, 11:51 PM
Only problem is who gets to decide what is and is not pleasing? Everyone thinks they themselves have good taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all.

Still too early for me to make a final declaration that the DavTower is ugly, but with every passing day I am afraid I might end up on that side of the fence. Hopefully they have some nice touches to add after construction is completed.

revrw
Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 AM
I was initially waiting to see as well, but I was trying to think of some things they could do to improve the structure to make it even appear satisfactory and I could think of nothing!!!! Unless they border the building in neon lights at night, that is the only thing that will take our eyes and attention from the air condition vents that sit in every room :( . Don't really know what they could do during the daytime. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing that I am happy about this building is they did remove a surface parking lot, and it will add to the density downtown which in turn brings other businesses and services downtown such as more restaurants and retail shops downtown!

revrw
Aug 1, 2006, 12:11 AM
anyways.....there are two types of skyscrapers......ones that look good from the freeway and ones that look good up close. The Davenport tower does not fit either bill!!!!

Hub for an Empire
Aug 1, 2006, 12:42 AM
I was initially waiting to see as well, but I was trying to think of some things they could do to improve the structure to make it even appear satisfactory and I could think of nothing!!!! Unless they border the building in neon lights at night, that is the only thing that will take our eyes and attention from the air condition vents that sit in every room :( . Don't really know what they could do during the daytime. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing that I am happy about this building is they did remove a surface parking lot, and it will add to the density downtown which in turn brings other businesses and services downtown such as more restaurants and retail shops downtown!

Since it's basically a rectangular box upright.....about the only way to change the look is to add things to the outside. Hopefully, the awnings (Orange in color as I recall) might add a new look. Since you were brainstorming, I think the only way they could change the appearance is to have the windows in like a bronzed mirror effect. They could add horizontal metal slats (at each floor going across the entire front of the building at each floor) to match the windows. On the East and West sides, they could add Two wide vertical metal slats to go all the way up the tower. Around the top, they could put up accent lights all around the concrete top. The Penthouse would be the same bronze color as the metal slats, but more modern in design.

revrw
Aug 1, 2006, 6:16 AM
That certainly would improve the look. Sounds like alot of reflective bronze, but it would make the outward appearance better!

urbanlife
Aug 1, 2006, 6:37 AM
^^^^ You mean Worthy, right? Don't think Ron wants to be associated with this building! :)

You can't totally blame Worthy....what about the architectural firm?

Still hoping for the best with the tower!

opps, my bad. Yeah I think Ron Wells would hunt me down for that comment.

James Bond Agent 007
Aug 4, 2006, 4:52 AM
Did anyone see this, about efforts to attract a grocery store downtown?
http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokane_id=article&sub=2846

Trebor of Spokane
Aug 4, 2006, 11:10 PM
took this picture this morning on my way to work, they are just finishing up on the 10th floor, only nine more to go. I read some where they are averaging a floor every 3-4 days. I thought it was terriffic that it is starting to rise up above the smaller buildings and starting to make a mark on the skyline.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/DSCN0183_2.jpg

der Reisender
Aug 5, 2006, 1:03 AM
it looks like the offspring of a parking garage and the portland building, i hope it gets better as it gets farther along

Dougall5505
Aug 5, 2006, 1:12 AM
^and thats not good a good thing

Hub for an Empire
Aug 5, 2006, 2:27 AM
At least with the 19th Floor, it will be glassed in and show look a little modern. In about 3 months they should top the building at the rate they are going. I think they started on the floors around the end of April of this year.

whovean
Aug 5, 2006, 2:47 AM
to bad its going to block that building behind it:(

Hub for an Empire
Aug 5, 2006, 5:18 AM
^^^^ Maybe they will put a highrise in the parking lot in the above picture? :) Hopefully, the coloring might add a bit to the tower? Time will tell!

revrw
Aug 5, 2006, 5:55 AM
We'll.....one block east is where they are putting a new residential tower. 15 floors. And based on the companies track record, the building should look modern. This may spark some residential/commercial developments on the southside of the railroad tracks in downtown.

FireFighter74
Aug 5, 2006, 10:43 PM
08/05/06 Is this not the ugliest building you've ever seen? Where did all the windows go?

http://static.flickr.com/60/207531181_f75707df83.jpg

FireFighter74
Aug 5, 2006, 10:58 PM
More pics

http://static.flickr.com/67/207541690_0a59a2fa84.jpg

Dougall5505
Aug 5, 2006, 11:05 PM
right now i am feeling very sorry for spokane

Hub for an Empire
Aug 6, 2006, 3:24 AM
More windows would have improved the building. I do think the colors add a bit to it though. Let's hope the 19th floor will give it a bit of a modern flavor and he adds accent lighting to the top!

Luckily, more towers are coming to downtown Spokane!

Think positive ---- Just think, in less than a year, we all can be enjoying the "Safari" Room at the new hotel! :)

CrimsonW
Aug 7, 2006, 5:41 PM
"Think positive ---- Just think, in less than a year, we all can be enjoying the "Safari" Room at the new hotel!"

I'm still keeping an open mind...I think there's something planned for that "blank" side of the building that faces west.

As far as the "Safari Room" and the safari theme is concerned, I learned today that the sight on which the Tower is being constructed has been home to 3 other hotels (1 burned in the Great Fire of 1889 and the other two were demolished (1962 and 1978 respectively). The latter two hotels were named the "Desert Hotel" and the "Sahara Hotel" so I think Mr. Worthy is giving a nod to the history of the site.

The theme is obviously being carried over to the exterior of the building with the varied coloration of tans and browns. The "brick" facade also appears to be a nod to the classic architecture in downtown Spokane which is mostly red brick in character (with some notable exceptions including the ONB/US Bank; Paulsen; and Spokane Chronicle buildings).

We'll see how it all turns out.

Hub for an Empire
Aug 7, 2006, 7:29 PM
^^^^ Well that explains the Safari Room theme! My book about downtown Spokane from the 30's and 40's does show the Desert Hotel in that location.

FireFighter74
Aug 7, 2006, 8:04 PM
spokane upper falls condo pics. Along north side of Spokane river right across from downtown.

http://static.flickr.com/81/209331760_8f873ee899.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/92/209331756_bdc084f9aa.jpg

FireFighter74
Aug 7, 2006, 8:19 PM
New WSU/EWU downtown campus building.
http://static.flickr.com/62/207531180_08aae170e3.jpg

New Convention Center
http://static.flickr.com/89/207531179_3dce7daecb.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/57/207531176_42f5d91765.jpg

James Bond Agent 007
Aug 8, 2006, 6:07 AM
08/05/06 Is this not the ugliest building you've ever seen? Where did all the windows go?

http://static.flickr.com/60/207531181_f75707df83.jpg
That is hideous.

Is this thing supposed to be a hotel?

chepe
Aug 8, 2006, 6:38 PM
I honestly don't understand the concept of the new hotel tower. I'm guessing (hoping) there will be some design concept applied to the blank west facing wall before completion. At least the pre-fab concrete panels will be painted as they have been on the north facing side. I understand perhaps not having west facing windows on the lower floors because they look directly at the Davenport parking garage but above about floor 6-7 the rooms would have a pretty nice view to the west.

Additionally, the northwest corner rooms would have great veiws of the original hotel, which unlike this one, is acutally something worth looking at. Even the tiny windows currently in the building are puzziling. I thought the new trend with hotels was big, floor to ceiling windows. These are small, tinted and sealed. They can't be opened in any way. Then, to have the HVAC vents exposed on the exterior of the building it just boggles the mind.

I generally like Mr. Worthy for what he has done for the community and his restoration of the original Davenport was first class. Even if the interior and rooms in the new tower are great, however, the exterior of the new hotel will cost the Davenport name some cache. I know the building is not finished yet but they are 13 floors in and I don't see any major changes at this point. Also, the building likely won't be that much taller than the washington trust building (16 floors). I was on the 12th floor of the washington trust the other day and it looks down on the 13th floor of the davnport tower. The 14th floor of the davenport tower will be equal the 12th of the wa trust.

Hub for an Empire
Aug 8, 2006, 7:31 PM
^^^^ Even if Worthy doesn't know much about design...I can understand that, but what about the Architectural firm? I do agree, when I heard about the hotel, that I visualize it slanted toward the NW, so it had a complete view of the original Davenport Hotel! They really missed the point on that one! Let's hope the tower looks okay, when complete. We all know what is will look like , from the rendering, and it seems true to that, so far. I won't say it's ugly, just that it doesn't have much design in it, has a dated appearance (early 1960's hotel design) and they really missed some things that could have made the tower more impressive. Not sure why they wanted to have small windows, except to save energy? I would think for a higher priced hotel, they would like to project quality in the building.

urbanlife
Aug 8, 2006, 8:01 PM
either Worthy gave the firm one hell of a small budget to work with or this is really one crappy firm that couldn't produce anything mediocre.

RemiO
Aug 8, 2006, 9:06 PM
I'm thinking it's more akin to the firm having to execute his "vision." Worthy has a lot going for him, but good taste is not on that list.

ghost22
Aug 11, 2006, 6:11 AM
i still think that this is still an exciting project, one ugly building is still better for the city than nothing. what block of howard is the 15 story tower going in, if it is the one accross from the holly mason building i will have to find a new place to park :shrug:

Hub for an Empire
Aug 11, 2006, 4:09 PM
^^^^ It will be directly South of the Wells Fargo building and train tracks.

revrw
Aug 12, 2006, 4:57 AM
i still think that this is still an exciting project, one ugly building is still better for the city than nothing. what block of howard is the 15 story tower going in, if it is the one accross from the holly mason building i will have to find a new place to park :shrug:

That is the parking lot!!!..........LOL

StarmanO
Aug 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty hideous building, but hopefully it can turn out at least mediocre. Since I live on the north side It won't be blocking the view for me :)

Also, what I don't understand, is why almost every high rise in Spokane is a long, rectangle box:slob: . You'd think someone would want to build something different than what seems to be the norm in Spokane, something like a mini-chrysler building, or anything that doesn't have a flat roof.

chepe
Aug 16, 2006, 5:00 PM
Looks like light rail will be on the ballot this fall for Spokane, the STA is working on the wording of the ballot language right now. It will be interesting to see what happens if only one of the questions wins a majority of the yes vote. The overall price seems pretty reasonable for a relatively long light rail line. From today's Spokesman-Review:

STA weighs light rail ballot wording
From Staff Reports
August 16, 2006

Voters will get their say this fall on a proposed light rail system.

But on Thursday the Spokane Transit Authority Board of Directors will choose exactly what questions voters will decide.

The board meets at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at Spokane City Hall.

An ad-hoc committee of board members is suggesting the following questions:

1. Should STA identify local taxing alternatives to bring forward to the voters for approval to fund a $268 million light rail project to run from Spokane city, through the city of Spokane Valley to Liberty Lake?

2. Should STA use existing revenues to fund preliminary engineering and environmental analysis for a future light rail project to run from Spokane city through the city of Spokane Valley to Liberty Lake?

seattlefoo1
Aug 17, 2006, 6:15 PM
New to this forum (although I have been reading it for a while). Hi!!
Saw this in on SR.com this morning. This is the first I have heard of this. Question: What is the difference between the Ridpath Hotel and the Ridpath Executive Court? It would be nice if the tower portion remained a hotel.

Artisan Hotel possible in city
Ridpath among potential sites
Alison Boggs
Staff writer
August 17, 2006

A Las Vegas hotelier is planning an art-themed hotel in Spokane, according to published reports from two other cities.

Douglas DaSilva, who owns the Artisan Hotel and Spa in Las Vegas, declined to comment, saying a contract prevented him from discussing his plans for Spokane until next month. However, articles in the Las Vegas Sun and the Business Journal of Phoenix say DaSilva and his wife, Ninette, are planning an Artisan Hotel in Spokane.

The other hotels the DaSilvas have opened in Las Vegas and Memphis, Tenn., and the ones they are planning in El Paso, Texas, and Phoenix, resulted from the purchase and renovation of other hotel properties, the articles say. The Las Vegas hotel was a former Travelodge, the El Paso location was a Holiday Inn, and the Phoenix location was a Sunshine Hotel and Suites.

Among the Spokane hotels for sale or with sales pending are the Ridpath Hotel on Sprague Avenue and the Howard Johnson Hotel on Division Street. Red Lion Hotels, which owns the Ridpath, said in a recent earnings report that the sale of the historic Ridpath would close by the end of September. However, Red Lion's investor relations manager, Julie Langenheim, declined to name the buyer.

The Las Vegas Artisan Hotel Web site describes a small, luxurious boutique hotel with an "elegant atmosphere" and "exquisite fine art" adorning the lobby, hallways, ceilings and 64 rooms. The décor includes framed prints by great artists such as Rembrandt, Renoir, Van Gogh and DaVinci, the news reports say. The hotel also has a full-service spa.

The DaSilvas purchased the El Paso property for $1.6 million, the Memphis property for $2.9 million and the Phoenix property for $5.2 million, according to the Phoenix Business Journal.

In January, a group of investors purchased the Ridpath's Executive Court section, on First Avenue. They are converting it to a 56-unit condominium complex with ground-floor retail shops to be called City Place.

Hub for an Empire
Aug 17, 2006, 7:25 PM
Welcome Seattlefoo1!

The Executive Court is the old Motorlodge addition of the Ridpath Hotel across the street from the Ridpath Hotel. It's located on 1st Avenue. It's being turned into Condos with hopefully a grocery store on the street level.

chepe
Aug 23, 2006, 2:56 PM
A few new developments in today's Spokesman Review. There is an article about the increasing demand for cranes in the region http://www.spokesmanreview.com/business/story.asp?ID=145910&page=2 which is good news for highrise fans. In the same story there is this snippet about the Davenport Tower I found interesting:

"A 300-ton lift crane with a luffing jib is being used to build the 22-story Davenport Tower and Residences in Spokane. The leased crane comes with its own operator and "oilman," or maintenance person. It costs about $500 an hour to operate, according Chuck Prussack, vice president at Central Pre-Mix. The crane speeds up the rate of construction. "We're building a floor about every four days," he said. Pre-cast components are being used in the tower's construction."

The number of floors on this project has been reported all over the map but I'm pretty sure 22 is the most I've seen. They are currently working on the 18th floor and they have the stair/elevator shafts in place to continue upward.

Also, it looks like the park board will purchase the YMCA to prevent the 15 story condominium project but will be asking the voters to pay for it http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=146008

Trebor of Spokane
Aug 27, 2006, 1:32 PM
Here is a link to a news story from Krem TV abbout the Vox Tower there is also some video,

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2_082506_voxtower.365c1e3b.html

Notice someting in the background? looks like another building!
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/M_IMAGE.jpg

Hub for an Empire
Aug 27, 2006, 1:47 PM
^^^^ I watched the news clip the other night also on KEM 2. I keep hearing stories about Brewster and how he is getting into financial problems over his other ventures.
On the other building in the background, I was wondering if it is his Havermale Park Tower building. I brought this up in the past, and someone brushed it off, since they stated it was the same project? There is an empty parking lot to the west of the block, as I recall.

I hate to admit this to everyone, but I'm kind of getting used to the Davenport Tower! :) Still think the windows should have been different for the building, but coming down the freeway yesterday, it kind of blends into the skyline and doesn't make a negative impact. Looks similar in shape, but shorter, than the Wells Fargo Building. I do think two floor to ceiling windows for each room would have gave it a different appearance.
We will all see how it looks when everything is done with the tower!

urbanlife
Aug 28, 2006, 3:39 AM
Yeah with Spokane developers I like to play the hand "I will believe it when I see it" I will believe the Vox will get built when they are putting up the crane. Till then, it is just talk from the developer. Besides Brewster isn't the smartest developer I have ever seen.

But I do hope this building gets built.

SPOKANITE
Aug 28, 2006, 4:15 AM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/M_IMAGE.jpg

Isn't that just the inset image of the the building's elevation?

sustainable
Aug 28, 2006, 8:23 PM
Did anybody else notice that the KREM report mentioned that there was already city approval for the VOX tower? Sounds like great news for Brewster until you read the next paragraph which states that the hearing examiner still has to approve the project because it goes well above the height restriction because it is out of the downtown core. So which one is it? There is no "city approval" until the hearing examiner approves it so unfortunately we'll have to wait for actual city approval once the hearing examiner makes his decision. Bad reporting on KREM's part it sounds like.

sustainable
Aug 28, 2006, 8:31 PM
One other thing - I talked with a really good inside source. Here is what I have found out so far: During construction the tower's height has changed between 17, 22 and 19 floors. As of last weekend they were still not certain where it was going to end and they are working very closely with Walt. Walt is meticulous. He spends a ton of time on (often bad looking) details. The street facade is still not chosen as to what the first two stories will look like. Mr. Worthy wants the first two floors in precast with the same black windows as the rest of the building. Yes, you are reading that correct, BUT Bernardo Wills is a good firm trying to give it a good street facade and talk Mr. Worthy into not screwing this up (like the wells fargo tower, garage and dav garage). It sounds like Bernardo Wills had exceptionally specific parameters as to what they could design. One thing I have heard is that the awnings will now be flat rather than angled which is making the structural engineers go nuts because all of the tension points have only been engineered for an angled awning rather than flat and since they're working with prestressed here you can't just go back and change stuff, you have to retrofit instead.

I am starting to agree with Hub, if you walk by the tower and look up as long as there is a decent street facade I don't think that the building is as bad as it might have been.

chepe
Aug 28, 2006, 9:08 PM
Interesting information on the Davenport Tower. Amazing that they are still deciding how tall to build it this far along. As of right now they are working on the 20th floor (according to how they count them) so maybe it will end up at 22. I really hope the Bernardo folks are able to convince Worthy to at least make the street level look really nice. Worthy did a great job with the original Davenport but had to be leaned on with some of the items (windows, ballrooms, etc). I haven't warmed up to the tower yet. Yes, it is so bland that it sort of just blends into the skyline but when you really look at it there is just not much to like about the project at this point. I'm still hopeful it will all come together in the end.

Trebor of Spokane
Aug 28, 2006, 10:56 PM
I had wrote an earlier post that the krem 2 story Picture of the Vox showed another building on the block and i was wrong, it was just soem overlapping of another photo of the same building. Sorry to anyone who tokk that at Fact.

Previous post here Stated that they are working on Floors 20 ( as they counted them) thought i would clarify this. They are counting the two Basement Floor putting them only 18 floors above ground. But....

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/DSCN0164-1Medium.jpg
... no floor 13 which really means there are currently only 17 floors above ground. Wondering if this is part of the reason why there is confusion whether there will be 21 or 22 floors. I'm thinking there will only be a total of 21 floors, but the top floor will be marked as #22 since there is no #13. That would mean only 19 floor above ground and two more floors to go to top out.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/DSCN0165Medium.jpg
from the free way
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/DSCN0159Medium.jpg

the view of downtown from Kendall Yards
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/k_trebor/DSCN0166Medium.jpg

urbanlife
Aug 28, 2006, 11:10 PM
ummm....from the freeway pic I am thinking it looks more like a commie building. Can we say 50's low income housing. Oh well at least it doesn't look gawdy.

Hub for an Empire
Aug 29, 2006, 12:55 AM
I was downtown yesterday. I noticed they didn't have a 13th floor.
I counted 16 floors above street level with 2 below ( I counted twice). That should mean they have another three , at least to go, unless they add more floors.
I noticed the windows are the same as on the Old Wells Fargo building. Not sure why they don't change the facade to a natural stone instead of the original brick on that building. Still looks dated to me.

Lets hope the Wall Street Condo project adds something to the downtown.
It would be nice to have some other shapes than just rectangular in the CBD.

Trebor of Spokane
Aug 29, 2006, 4:50 AM
It would be nice also if they would build something at a different angle, i dont think there is a building in downtown that is at a different angle than the block it is on. north and south and east and west. kinda boring.

Hub for an Empire
Aug 29, 2006, 1:49 PM
^^^^ I agree with you on that one! It would be nice to have an all-glass high rise also!

revrw
Aug 29, 2006, 6:42 PM
I was looking at the block just west of the proposed residential tower between Wall and Howard just south of the Wells Fargo tower. If you look at the lot just west of that proposed development, it is also a vacant parking lot and it is the same size of the lot that is going to be developed. If this tower turns out to be a success it would be nice to see someone develop that parking lot into a residential tower. That would really spark development south of the railroad tracks in downtown.

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 1, 2006, 6:52 PM
This thursday's Spokane Journal of Buisness article on highrises in downtown Spokane mention that the Davenport tower's penthouse will be on floor 18.

ghost22
Sep 2, 2006, 5:15 AM
does anyone know why there are different colored "lego blocks" in the davenport. i hope these will be painted. i plan to stay in the new tower sometime after opening.

James Bond Agent 007
Sep 2, 2006, 5:18 AM
I was downtown yesterday. I noticed they didn't have a 13th floor.

It's fairly common practice for hotels to "skip" the 13th floor.

Bad luck, I s'pose. ;)

ghost22
Sep 2, 2006, 5:49 AM
anyone have a copy of the spokane business journal from a week or two ago talking about the crane shortage. if u do could u post it. it was talking about buildings i didnt even know about in cda. one was either 5, 7 story or 7, 5 story buildings along the river. also anyone have any pics of hagadon's condos at the edge of the golf course?

InlandEmpire
Sep 2, 2006, 2:13 PM
^
Here are a couple cranes for the Terraces, but this pic is a couple months old:

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/4540/gasworks402ve7.jpg

Parkside courtesy Miller-Stauffer's website; this is a little old as footings have been poured

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5025/parkside06rf3.jpg

And the condos at Post Falls landing are coming along, with 2 condo buildings done and sold out, a third identical one taking reservations, and another 7 floor condo building starting behind these ones

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5865/getdbslidelocalrx6.jpg

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 9, 2006, 8:43 PM
Good weekend to everyone,

I did this Panoramic of Downtown Spokane last weekend. It is from up on Cliff Drive looking down on downtown and stretches all the way from Sacred Heart Medical Center to Deaconess Medical Center. This picture is Huge. It is comprised of 60 seperate photos stitched together to make the one. Pixel wise I saved and cropped it out at 13943 x 1479 pixels. I think if it was printed out at 100% it would meassure around 24 inches tall by 190 inches long.

After I had this picture together it was kind of fun to just sit back and explore. It's not perfect, it took about 10 minutes on a partly cloudy day to do all the seperate photos so you might notice some areas that are more sunny than others, but i did my best to eidt thise areas.

Enjoy.

Trebor of Spokane

http://app.tabblo.com/studio/items/download/1983944/original

InlandEmpire
Sep 10, 2006, 7:08 PM
^
wow! That's a great pano! Good work :tup:

ghost22
Sep 11, 2006, 2:46 AM
ya that is a great pano, without u telling of the light differences i probably would not have noticed. and thanks for the images above too empire.
lol by the way u werent driving while taking the picture of hagadon's project i hope. i can see ur sideveiw mirror in there.

by the way did anyone read the spokesman article today about I-90's 50th b-day. kind of a cool article. happy b-day I-90

ghost22
Sep 12, 2006, 3:47 AM
[QUOTE=Trebor of Spokane]In this picture you will notice that on either side of the elevator are wood doors with numbers on them. on the 2nd floor above ground there is the number 4 and on the 3rd floor above ground ther is the number 5. Today they finishes number 8 or the sixth floor above ground. So, though the Davenport web site says 21 floors, only 19 of them will be above ground. Floors above level 2 seem to be only about 9 foot high. My best guess is this building only comes in at 200 ft, maybe 210. The Metroplitan Finacial Center is listed on Emporis at 243 feet and the Bank of America building at 288 ft. This building will be no were close to being Spokanes tallest, not even the 3rd tallest (paulsen 221 and us bank 217)

^ posted on pg 9.

today driving on the freeway i noticed that the building looked to be the third tallest. i dont think it is going to get much higher than today but it is defenitely taller than paulsen now.

Trebor of Spokane
Sep 12, 2006, 6:27 AM
Ghost you may be right, I was driving east on Boone street and noticed that they are working today on installing the penthouse floor (floor 19 above ground). There were windows on the west side and it was obviously a much taller floor than the previous floors. This last floor just peaked above the Washington Mutual Building on its north. It looked like about 12-15 feet taller, to bad emporis does not give measurments for the WM building.

Anyways it is a much more dominating building than I expected from initail assesments. I was looking at some of my pictures and was thinking though, that this building could keep the same type of facade, but if Worthy would have not made the building so wide from east to west, and then added that square footage as more floors (made it a taller thinner building) this building could of looked really kind of interestong and could have been easlily the tallest in spokane. If they would of stepped it back about 30 feet from post street then alot of the WM building would have still been visible form the freeway and southhill. Then they could have put a nice plaza between the building and post street.

Dang! I shoud be an architect.

:cheers:

chepe
Sep 12, 2006, 6:12 PM
Good thoughts Trebor, too bad Worthy didn't consult you. It did turn out to be a very massive building in terms of presence. A small point of clarification, the building just north is the Washington Trust building, not the Wamu building. Nonetheless, the top floor looks to be about double the size of the floors below. Still not as tall as the Wells Fargo but not too far off. It does look like the third tallest in town at this point.

urbanlife
Sep 12, 2006, 7:11 PM
Ghost you may be right, I was driving east on Boone street and noticed that they are working today on installing the penthouse floor (floor 19 above ground). There were windows on the west side and it was obviously a much taller floor than the previous floors. This last floor just peaked above the Washington Mutual Building on its north. It looked like about 12-15 feet taller, to bad emporis does not give measurments for the WM building.

Anyways it is a much more dominating building than I expected from initail assesments. I was looking at some of my pictures and was thinking though, that this building could keep the same type of facade, but if Worthy would have not made the building so wide from east to west, and then added that square footage as more floors (made it a taller thinner building) this building could of looked really kind of interestong and could have been easlily the tallest in spokane. If they would of stepped it back about 30 feet from post street then alot of the WM building would have still been visible form the freeway and southhill. Then they could have put a nice plaza between the building and post street.

Dang! I shoud be an architect.

:cheers:

I got tired of complaining about bad architecture and decided to become a good one. I still have several years to go, but I am on that journey right now.

So...........what's up with the Rookery? I am guessing it is still standing.

RemiO
Sep 12, 2006, 7:46 PM
They're removing the asbestos from it now, before they (I assume) tear it down.

urbanlife
Sep 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
thanks for the info RemiO, it should make a really nice parking lot for the Reugh family. I wonder what there asking price for the block will be when the buildings are gone......that is going to be a funny estimate.

Hub for an Empire
Sep 13, 2006, 2:18 AM
I noticed when I was driving south on Monroe Street last Sunday that the Davenport Tower was the same height as the Washington Trust Bank. It is more noticable driving from the freeway. From other vantage spots, it reminds me of a slightly shorter Wells Fargo Building (With funny windows). Kind of blends in. From the Sunset hill it definitely blends in with the other highrises. Noticed on the first level they are putting curved metal in for the windows. Still think they should have angled the new hotel 45-degrees from the corner and provide a view of the vintage Davenport Hotel or even on the current design to have the windows angled to see the view down to the other hotel.

I would think the Rockery Block would be in a better position to be developed/redeveloped with new or updated construction all around the block? I don't think the owner or his off-spring has a clue on any direction for the block!

urbanlife
Sep 13, 2006, 4:13 AM
The Rookery will be bought up and redeveloped fairly quick (well at least in Spokane's terms for quick). Problem the Reugh's are going to have is the asking price for the land. With buildings on it, he wanted 5mil, without buildings that land is worth about 1.2 mil. No developer in their right mind will pay more that 1.75 mil for that block. So basically they turned down a 4.8 mil offer so that they might be lucky to get 2mil out of it in the next 10 years or so.......Reugh is such an idiot.

chepe
Sep 13, 2006, 8:01 PM
Upon further inspection it looks as if the small rectangular holes left in the Davenport Tower's exterior are for small windows rather than HVAC units. It looks like the windows are able to open and close for some measure of fresh air. An improvement, abeit small, over exposed exterior HVAC units.

hcnate
Sep 13, 2006, 8:46 PM
Small ventilation windows at foot or knee level? I thought I saw a vent on one of them before? Maybe I am mistaken, and my floor heights are off.