PDA

View Full Version : Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Tombstoner
Aug 1, 2008, 1:58 AM
For what it's worth, the Brazilian visa lasts you for five years. It's a hassle to get it, but at least once you've gotten it...
Great news about the new routes--I always thought Brazil could be a huge growth market for some US carrier. The country is really taking off!

Fiorenza
Aug 1, 2008, 3:03 AM
If only Russia would adopt it then I would be extremely happy.

That will be the day...

Harry Cane
Aug 7, 2008, 2:37 PM
Moving the current JFK-BOM to Atlanta this November. Atlanta has got to be the U.S. city with the most exotic non-stops. Everything from Mumbai to Kuwait to Shanghai to Lagos to Stockholm to Manaus, Brazil. And to think that only a few years ago, we didn't even have non-stops to Canada (though in fairness, it was mostly due to the limits of the Canada-USA aviation agreement).

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the six new 777L's they get this winter.

Rail Claimore
Aug 7, 2008, 10:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the six new 777L's they get this winter.

Atlanta - Hong Kong? Atlanta - Singapore? :D

Supposedly, the LR has that kind of range.

john3eblover
Aug 8, 2008, 5:20 PM
I wish they weren't getting rid of JFK-BOM though :-/

ATL-HKG would be sweet. So would ATL-SYD, but there are a lot of doubts that it could work.

atlantaguy
Aug 9, 2008, 2:34 PM
John, they moved the JFK-BOM flight here because there is simply way too much capacity from NY to India right now. It will be much more of a $$$ maker from here (and another fantastic new link for Atlanta AND the Southeast).

john3eblover
Aug 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
I know I know, i just wish they didn't have to pull out of the JFK-BOM market. Maybe they'll start it up again once more of the LRs come online. ATL-BOM should be pretty good for DL though!

smArTaLlone
Aug 29, 2008, 9:38 AM
Atlanta Business Chronicle (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/08/25/daily69.html) - by J. Scott Trubey Staff Writer

Airport officials unveiled a new membership-driven parking lot and other amenities Thursday that should make parking easier at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Hartsfield-Jackson’s new Silver Reserve Parking Lot, a 1,300-space lot for paying members, is now officially open for business.

The Silver Lot, which is off South Terminal Parkway, is targeted at frequent fliers and offers guaranteed spaces 24-hours a day, said airport General Manager Ben DeCosta. The lot is two minutes by tram, which is provided free to members.

The Silver Lot joins the Gold Lot membership program in the airport’s inventory of reserve spaces.

Silver Lot membership is $405 at sign up, including a $25 fee for a vehicle transponder, a $180 Annual Minimum Usage Fee (equal to 12 days) and a $200 reserve that serves as an account that is debited after the minimum is reached. Additional days are $15 each.

The Silver Lot and the recent launch of the airport’s Parking Revenue Control System, are part of a $22 million project to improve parking efficiency at the world’s busiest airport.

The revenue control system includes 42 electronic payment stations that will allow motorists to pay their parking fees with cash or credit before approaching the exit gates. The airport also installed 35 new express credit/pre-paid exit gates across all airport-based lots, which will help reduce waits to exit parking areas.

“Our driving force and inspiration in these improvements is making the experience more convenient, efficient and pleasurable for the 6 million people who park in our lots annually,” DeCosta said.

Officials also unveiled other advances in parking, including new space counters to let motorists know the number of available spaces and intercoms for customer assistance. Valet parking will be added later this year.

For more information about airport parking, or to register for the Silver Lot program, visit www.atlanta-airport.com.

smArTaLlone
Sep 12, 2008, 8:57 PM
By KEVIN DUFFY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, September 12, 2008

Construction began this week on the first hotels to be built next to the Georgia International Convention Center in College Park.

The 403-room Marriott Hotel and the 147-room SpringHill Suites, a less expensive Marriott brand, are part of the 28-acre mixed-use development called Gateway Center.

The 1.1 million square foot Gateway Center also will have class-A office buildings totaling 400,000 square feet and 50,000 square feet of retail space, said Kevin Kern, president of Grove Street Partners, the master developer.

The growth of Gateway Center parallels the growth of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport next door, which includes building a massive off-site rental car facility called CONRAC and an automated train similar to the one now at the airport.

Both of those projects are expected to be completed next year. The hotels should be finished in 2010.

The train, called an automated people mover, will connect the airport passenger terminal with the convention center and CONRAC, which stands for consolidated rental agency complex.

Grove Street and its financial partners, Fidelity Investments of Boston and Williams Opportunity Fund, are investing $134 million in the hotels.

“These two new Marriott hotels are perfectly positioned to serve both the convention and business meeting audience as well as the general public traveling through the Atlanta airport,” said Roger Conner, Marriott’s vice president of corporate communications.

The seven-story Marriott will include 20,000 square feet of meeting and ballroom space, a Marriott-branded restaurant and a third-party restaurant.

Both buildings will be LEED certified, meaning the U.S. Green Building Council will assure that they meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards.

Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart and Associates designed the Marriott Hotel and Goode Van Slyke Architecture designed the SpringHill Suites Hotel.

The international convention center is the second largest facility of its type in the state. The Georgia World Congress Center in downtown Atlanta is the biggest.

Tombstoner
Sep 18, 2008, 2:13 PM
FAA head suggests that Atlanta (and Chicago and NYC) needs a new airport.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-09-18-new-airport-chicago_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

john3eblover
Sep 18, 2008, 8:31 PM
With the proposed/planned new international terminal, plus the rumored new south terminal/concourse, not to mention CONRAC, I would think that AHJIA has "ambitious expansion plans" pretty much already under way.

smArTaLlone
Sep 18, 2008, 9:05 PM
With the proposed/planned new international terminal, plus the rumored new south terminal/concourse, not to mention CONRAC, I would think that AHJIA has "ambitious expansion plans" pretty much already under way.

The south terminal is actually on the airport's master plan.

I think a new airport will be needed even with the expansion plans given the population growth of the region. I agree with whoever suggested putting it near Athens. Ideally it would eventually have a stop on the Athens commuter line.

john3eblover
Sep 19, 2008, 3:50 PM
I still say it will never happen. The new airport that is. I think the current expansion plans are supposed to handle up to 120 million a year in traffic. That's quite a lot.

Pessimistic Observer
Sep 19, 2008, 4:23 PM
I still say it will never happen. The new airport that is. I think the current expansion plans are supposed to handle up to 120 million a year in traffic. That's quite a lot.
I wouldnt say never I mean 2030 is a long way off there is a good chance some of the beltway and maybe even 1 or 2 commuter trains will be up and running by the time hartsfield reaches its capacity.

Tombstoner
Sep 19, 2008, 10:29 PM
I think that in 10-15 years, we're going to be seeing a lot more point-to-point flights and hubs are generally going to be less used. Airports will increasingly rely on origination-and-destination traffic and Hartsfield will be able to handle that for Atlanta. Of course, in the next few years, hub activity is probably going to increase, but I think it may be timed in such a way that by the time ATL reaches capacity, more point-to-point will relieve some of the pressure. 50 years from now, I doubt hubs will be anywhere near as dominant as they are today.

ThrashATL
Sep 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
I think that in 10-15 years, we're going to be seeing a lot more point-to-point flights and hubs are generally going to be less used. Airports will increasingly rely on origination-and-destination traffic and Hartsfield will be able to handle that for Atlanta. Of course, in the next few years, hub activity is probably going to increase, but I think it may be timed in such a way that by the time ATL reaches capacity, more point-to-point will relieve some of the pressure. 50 years from now, I doubt hubs will be anywhere near as dominant as they are today.

Point to point? No hubs? You mean like the "old days".....

john3eblover
Sep 20, 2008, 3:53 AM
You also have to account for the fact that the Atlanta metro is supposed to add what, 2 million more people in the next 10-20 years? At least that.

Those people have to live somewhere right? Just more NIMBYS that would stop any airport remotely in the Atlanta metro. People just don't want loud noisy airports near them. Plus, its not like the land is easy to aquire.

Thats what I think.

Tombstoner
Sep 20, 2008, 1:35 PM
Point to point? No hubs? You mean like the "old days".....

Never said "no hubs." I don't think of point-to-point as old-fashioned (though that's the way it was in the "old days" that's irrelevant); it is "optimal" for travelers (no one actually WANTS to go through hubs) and increasingly optimal for fuel consumption, the environment, and aircraft manufacturers. While the A380 is getting a lot of play and will always be used hub-to-hub like the 747ER, all kinds of small new planes are being developed by companies from Japan, China, Russia, and the old stand-bys of Brazil and Canada and even Boeing and Airbus are making advances on smaller jets. I don't have a crystal ball, but I have to think that over time, hubs will be less rational/ecomonic to operate. Hartsfield is (purposely) HUGELY overbuilt for Atlanta O&D because it is a hub. It doesn't need nearly as much capacity as it currently has to service Atlanta, so as its hub traffic decreases, even as it's O&D traffic increases with Atlanta population, it is entirely possible that Atlanta will never outgrow it. I'm just saying...

smArTaLlone
Sep 20, 2008, 2:38 PM
I understand the logic but I can't envision a system where travel to and from second and third tier cities doesn't require hubs.

PremierAtlanta
Sep 20, 2008, 7:28 PM
Excuse my ignorance as I'm not an aviation expert but I would think that the hub and spoke configuration would be more efficient than the one way travel. Here is my thinking. If you have multiple passengers going to one destination but coming from multiple originations, it's better to pool them at one location and have a big van take them all at once to the same location. Sure the van used may use more gas/mile than the subcompact taking each individual but instead of having 12 compacts, you put all 12 in one van. That would seem like less gas after all is said and done.

Perhaps this is above my soccer mom brain but I would think that if 12 children met at my home to go to a soccer game, that would be less gas than all 13 moms taking their children to the game individually. It also seems to make the corralling of these passengers more efficient.

Tombstoner
Sep 20, 2008, 8:37 PM
I understand the logic but I can't envision a system where travel to and from second and third tier cities doesn't require hubs.

I think third tier cities (to pull a number out of my butt, say a population of 100,000 or below) will always need hubs. Right now, though, many second tier cities (my butt says these have 100-500K populations) are currently heavily dependant on access through hubs. I don't expect that to ever vanish, but I do think that increased globalization combined with more fuel efficient jets and more costly travel (because of curbs on CO2 emissions and lower domestic airline capacity generally) will make point-to-point more economically feasible. Again, I never said hubs will go away, but a 20% drop in Atlanta's "hubbing requirements" creates a 20% increase in O&D capacity.

Tombstoner
Sep 20, 2008, 8:50 PM
Excuse my ignorance as I'm not an aviation expert but I would think that the hub and spoke configuration would be more efficient than the one way travel. Here is my thinking. If you have multiple passengers going to one destination but coming from multiple originations, it's better to pool them at one location and have a big van take them all at once to the same location. Sure the van used may use more gas/mile than the subcompact taking each individual but instead of having 12 compacts, you put all 12 in one van. That would seem like less gas after all is said and done.

Perhaps this is above my soccer mom brain but I would think that if 12 children met at my home to go to a soccer game, that would be less gas than all 13 moms taking their children to the game individually. It also seems to make the corralling of these passengers more efficient.

What you say makes perfect sense to me (and I'm no aviation expert either), but I think there are some problems with the kids-going-to-a-soccer-game analogy. In some economic conditions (like what we have today--most notably, poor fuel efficiency on regional jets) the current system is completely logical. But I am suggesting that, maybe, current conditions will not stay the same and more point-to-point travel will be more feasible in the future (for reasons I mention above). If that were to happen (and again, one can argue that it won't; I'm not in the industry) it may make sense for Savannah to have some direct access to Charlotte and Nashville rather than rely on going through Atlanta. The model will not be as "deregulation-friendly" (with millions of Americans flying at the drop of a hat) as it is now, but we see where we are starting to question deregulation.

I am really not "advocating" a decline in spoke-and-hub travel, but just suggesting that to the degree that point-to-point increases, that will put less pressure on hubs, open up slot space for O&D traffic and maybe stave off the need for an additional airport.

waughste3
Oct 12, 2008, 8:10 PM
http://www.hmmhteam.com/images/main_02.gif
http://www.nobel.co.in/clients/mhjit/images/display_1.gif
http://atlanta.daybooknetwork.com/images/campaigns/3185/upload/maynardholbookjacksonjr.internationalterminalnightview-sml.jpg

Project Website:
http://www.hmmhteam.com/index.asp

MAH4546
Oct 15, 2008, 6:34 AM
Delta has applied for daily Atlanta-Manaus and Atlanta-Fortaleza-Recife-Atlanta four times weekly.

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf71/92.pdf

Now if only Brazil didn't require expensive visas for Americans...

The advanced bookings for these flights are horrendous. I'm looking at availability in some reservation systems, and wow...talk about bad. These flights are empty, empty, and empty. The Manaus flight is virtually empty daily. There are literally some days in January when less than 15 people are booked on the flight.

The Fortaleza/Recife flight does better, but outside of Christmas, it's pretty empty. American Airlines is also starting Recife next month, it's doing better, but it is tagged onto a Salvador flight, and Salvador is a popular beach resort - most of the people are probably going to Salvador, not Recife.

Right after Delta announced Atlanta-Manaus, TAM increased the number of seats on their Miami-Manaus service by 60% in order to dump capacity in the market and make it tough for Delta. The U.S.-Manaus market is not very small and really cannot support more than one daily flight. TAM used to operate a small A320 daily, but they are now hoping that by dumping so much capacity, which will bring fares down heavily, they can drive Delta out. The thing is that Manaus is an excellent market for cargo traffic. TAM's using a big widebody with a huge cargo bay, so the cargo can subsidize the fare dumping. Delta is using a tiny 737 - they can't make up for anything with cargo.

Delta's application originally also included Atlanta-Belo Horizonte flights. However, American Airlines also applied for a bunch of these frequencies. There were only 21 frequencies, and AA and DL combined applied for 24 of them. It was smart of each to compromise and get down to 21 so that these flights could start sooner. Otherwise it would be along applicaiton process as the Department of Transportation decided which allocation was best.

It's good to see Delta expand in these markets. They'll ride it out, but it's going to be a ridiculously tough road for them.

Tombstoner
Oct 15, 2008, 4:30 PM
The advanced bookings for these flights are horrendous. I'm looking at availability in some reservation systems, and wow...talk about bad. These flights are empty, empty, and empty. The Manaus flight is virtually empty daily. There are literally some days in January when less than 15 people are booked on the flight.

The Fortaleza/Recife flight does better, but outside of Christmas, it's pretty empty. American Airlines is also starting Recife next month, it's doing better, but it is tagged onto a Salvador flight, and Salvador is a popular beach resort - most of the people are probably going to Salvador, not Recife.

Right after Delta announced Atlanta-Manaus, TAM increased the number of seats on their Miami-Manaus service by 60% in order to dump capacity in the market and make it tough for Delta. The U.S.-Manaus market is not very small and really cannot support more than one daily flight. TAM used to operate a small A320 daily, but they are now hoping that by dumping so much capacity, which will bring fares down heavily, they can drive Delta out. The thing is that Manaus is an excellent market for cargo traffic. TAM's using a big widebody with a huge cargo bay, so the cargo can subsidize the fare dumping. Delta is using a tiny 737 - they can't make up for anything with cargo.

Delta's application originally also included Atlanta-Belo Horizonte flights. However, American Airlines also applied for a bunch of these frequencies. There were only 21 frequencies, and AA and DL combined applied for 24 of them. It was smart of each to compromise and get down to 21 so that these flights could start sooner. Otherwise it would be along applicaiton process as the Department of Transportation decided which allocation was best.

It's good to see Delta expand in these markets. They'll ride it out, but it's going to be a ridiculously tough road for them.

:previous: Maybe an opportunity to burn some SkyMiles??? :notacrook:

oftrue
Oct 22, 2008, 8:13 PM
Delta Expands Africa Presence With First-Ever Flight Between Atlanta and Monrovia, Liberia
Wednesday October 22, 12:00 pm ET

ATLANTA, Oct. 22, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News), the only U.S. network carrier to serve Africa, today announced it will expand its service to the African continent with the introduction of the first and only flight between Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Monrovia's Roberts International Airport, Liberia*. The service, which will make a stop at Amilcar Cabral International Airport on Sal Island, Cape Verde*, will start in June, 2009.
ADVERTISEMENT

Passengers on the only flight between the U.S. and Liberia will benefit from significant time savings over other routes. They also will be able to connect to more than 150 destinations throughout the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean via Delta's Atlanta hub.

``Delta is pleased to add Monrovia to our industry-leading Africa network,'' said Glen Hauenstein, executive vice president - Network and Revenue Management. ``Passenger traffic to and from Africa continues to grow at some of the highest rates in the world. We are very encouraged with the response to our flights to Africa and look forward to serving Liberia and contributing to its trade and tourism development efforts.''

Currently, Delta offers service between the United States and six African destinations with flights between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Accra, Ghana; Dakar, Senegal; Cairo, Egypt, and Cape Town in South Africa (via Dakar) and between Atlanta and Lagos, Nigeria, and Johannesburg, South Africa (via Dakar).

Liberia is situated in West Africa, bordering the North Atlantic Ocean to the country's southwest. The country has strong historical and cultural ties to the United States. With key exports of minerals and timber, there is a strong and growing market for business traffic between Liberia and the U.S.

In an announcement today at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., Liberia's President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf praised Delta's investment in her country.

``I was excited to learn that Delta Air Lines has made the commitment to provide direct flight service to Liberia,'' said Johnson-Sirleaf. ``Liberia continues to flourish and, with the commitment by companies in the U.S. to do business in our country, there is opportunity for continued economic growth. This development also provides convenience for Liberians in Diaspora to come home and to bring their skills and talents in support of the country's development. Delta Air Lines is providing a means to bring business into the country and we welcome them.''

Robert L. Johnson, founder and chairman of The RLJ Companies, which owns significant development projects in Liberia, also commented on the flight during the announcement.

``Two years ago, while attending the Clinton Global Initiative, I made a commitment to mobilize $30 million for Liberia after hearing President Sirleaf speak and appeal to the American private sector for support,'' said Johnson. ``I have further committed to mobilizing funds through a recent $100 million finance protocol with the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) to build housing, as well as to build an 84-room villa style hotel. I applaud Delta Air Lines for making the commitment to provide direct air service to Liberia which will provide economic growth opportunities to Liberia from a variety of business sectors around the world,'' he added.

Delta's new service between Atlanta and Monrovia will be operated using a Boeing 757 aircraft with up to 174 seats in a two-cabin configuration -- 16 seats in Delta's award-winning BusinessElite service and 158 seats in economy class. Delta's BusinessElite service features all-leather sleeper seats, innovative food offerings from celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein and award-winning, original wine selections chosen by Delta's Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. The airline's on-demand personal in-seat entertainment boasts more than 20 first-run and popular classic movies, a variety of TV programs, a broad range of music, and a suite of 12 video games in both classes of service. Economy class customers also benefit from new all-leather economy seats, amenity kits and enhanced food offerings.

Delta's service between Atlanta and Monrovia will operate once weekly as follows:

------------- --------------------------- --------------------------
FLIGHT DEPARTS** ARRIVES**
DL 214 Atlanta Sal Island, Cape Verde
at 3:10 p.m. at 2:15 a.m.
DL 214 Sal Island, Cape Verde Monrovia, Liberia
at 3:20 a.m. at 7:05 a.m.
DL 215 Monrovia, Liberia Sal Island, Cape Verde
at 8:10 a.m. at 9:55 a.m.
DL 215 Sal Island, Cape Verde Atlanta
at 11:25 a.m. at 5:15 p.m.
*Subject to government approval.
** Schedule subject to change

Delta Air Lines operates service to more worldwide destinations than any airline with Delta and Delta Connection flights to 287 destinations in 58 countries. Delta has added more international capacity than any major U.S. airline during the last two years and is the leader across the Atlantic with flights to 42 trans-Atlantic markets. To Latin America and the Caribbean, Delta offers 315 weekly flights to 43 destinations. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 16,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Including its SkyTeam and worldwide codeshare partners, Delta offers flights to 500 worldwide destinations in 105 countries. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes, check bags and flight status at delta.com.

The Delta Air Lines, Inc. logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=1825

Delta Air Lines
Corporate Communications
404-715-2554

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

testarossa50
Oct 22, 2008, 10:28 PM
Wow, that's awesome! Monrovia makes sense, but I would think it would be hard to support that service--it's nothing near the economic powerhouses of Dakar or Lagos. I would guess this is mainly government/NGO traffic.

For me, personally, the bigger news is nonstop service to Cape Verde. I've always wanted to go there, but it's a huge pain to get to!

Maybe now Delta will stop referring to Liberia, Costa Rica as simply "Liberia" on the departure screens? :rolleyes:

Pompuss
Oct 23, 2008, 12:03 AM
Wow:

DL 214 Sal Island, Cape Verde Monrovia, Liberia
at 3:20 a.m. at 7:05 a.m.

The flight leaves ATL at 3:20 a.m., that's weird.

oftrue
Oct 23, 2008, 4:40 PM
Testarossa50 flights should fill as of right now, because Delta is only offering one weekly flight to Liberia, however you know it will be successful, and more will be added. Also Pompuss the flight leaves Monrovia, Liberia after a stop over at 3:20am, not leaving Atlanta at 3:20 am. Now I'm waiting for Delta to Start Sydney Aus real soon.

oftrue
Oct 23, 2008, 4:41 PM
Delta Offers Special Fare on New Nonstop Service between Atlanta and Kuwait
Travel to the Middle East and the world’s fourth richest country now made easier
ATLANTA, July 31, 2008 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced a limited time introductory, one-way fare of $589 (see restrictions below) on its new nonstop route between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Kuwait City, Kuwait. The offer applies to tickets purchased before Aug. 15, 2008 for travel between Nov. 7 and Dec. 13, 2008. (*Additional taxes/fees/restrictions/ baggage charges may apply. Round trip purchase required. Details are included below.)
Kuwait is the fourth richest country in the world. The Atlanta to Kuwait flight, which begins Nov. 7**, strengthens Delta’s leadership position in the Middle East, complementing existing service from Atlanta to Dubai and Tel Aviv; and from New York-JFK to Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Cairo and Amman.
“With the Kuwait flight, Delta now offers more service to the Middle East than all other U.S. carriers combined,” said Robert Cortelyou, senior vice president – Network Planning. “With 37 weekly frequencies to six destinations in the Middle East, Delta is the right airline for leisure and business travel, as well as cargo to the region.”

Traffic between the United States and Middle East is one of the fastest growing markets in aviation. The Middle East is a key component of Delta’s international expansion. Since 2005, the airline has added more than 60 new international destinations to its network, and Delta is now the leading carrier across the Atlantic with 44 destinations, more than any other airline.
Passengers on Delta’s flights between Atlanta and Kuwait travel on Boeing 777-200ER aircraft. Customers seated in Delta’s award-winning BusinessElite cabin enjoy all-leather sleeper seats with 60 inches of legroom, innovative food offerings designed by celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein, on-demand personal in-seat entertainment, as well as upgraded pillow, duvet cover and amenity kit. Economy class customers also enjoy all-leather economy seats, amenity kits and recently enhanced food offerings.
On flights to and from Kuwait, Delta’s service also features Arabic-speaking flight attendants, in-flight movies with Arabic subtitles, as well as Halal meal options in BusinessElite and Middle Eastern selections in economy.
Delta’s new nonstop service between Atlanta and Kuwait is scheduled as follows:
Flight
Departs
Arrives
Effective
Frequency

DL 158
Atlanta at 9:35 p.m.
Kuwait at 6:50 p.m. (next day)
Nov. 7, 2008
Tue., Thu., Fri., Sat.

DL 159
Kuwait at 11:35 p.m.
Atlanta at 7:05 a.m. (next day)
Nov. 8, 2008
Wed., Fri., Sat.

DL 159
Kuwait at 12:10 a.m.
Atlanta at 7:40 a.m.
Nov. 10, 2008
Mon.

Delta Air Lines operates service to more worldwide destinations than any airline with Delta and Delta Connection flights to 327 destinations in 62 countries. Delta has added more international capacity than any major U.S. airline during the last two years and is the leader across the Atlantic with flights to 44 trans-Atlantic markets. To Latin America and the Caribbean, Delta offers 609 weekly flights to 62 destinations. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 16,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding

oftrue
Oct 24, 2008, 4:03 PM
United Parcel Service Inc. broke ground Friday on a previously announced $180 million Intra-Asia air cargo hub in Shenzen, China.

The nearly 1 million-square-foot facility will replace an air hub in Papanga, Philippines, and become UPS’ primary transit hub in Asia. The UPS Shenzhen Intra-Asia hub will be built on 958,000 square feet of land and will include a dedicated 1.6 million-square-foot ramp provided by Shenzhen Airport, an express customs handling unit, sorting facilities and cargo handling areas.

Package sorting capacity is projected to reach 18,000 pieces an hour with the flexibility to expand to 36,000 pieces an hour. The hub initially will employ 400 people and will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Atlanta-based UPS (NYSE: UPS) also plans to open an air hub in Shanghai by the end of the year. That hub will allow UPS to cut costs and improve service within China.

smArTaLlone
Oct 29, 2008, 10:25 PM
By KELLY YAMANOUCHI

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The U.S. Department of Justice has approved Delta Air Lines’ merger with Northwest, and Delta is closing the deal.

“We’re pleased the DOJ has decided not to challenge the Delta-Northwest merger and look forward to closing the merger soon,” said Delta spokesman Kent Landers.

The merger, announced in April, is essentially an acquisition of Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest by Delta. The combined carrier is called Delta and continues to be based in Atlanta.

Delta has said the merger will allow it to better compete with foreign airlines that are increasingly offering service to the United States. With Northwest, it adds one of the strongest U.S. carrier’s networks in Asia, an area where Delta had been lacking.

The close of the deal means Northwest shareholders receive 1.25 Delta shares for each Northwest share they own. Delta also will allocate 15 percent of stock to employees.

One of the factors driving the merger was high fuel costs, though oil prices have fallen significantly from the $111 a barrel price when the merger was first announced.

Delta CEO Richard Anderson is chief executive of the combined company, and Delta chairman Daniel Carp is chairman of the combined company.

The combined airline has about 75,000 employees, serves 375 cities in 66 countries and about 170 million passengers a year. It creates a company with a combined enterprise value of $17.7 billion, which expects to have annual revenue of $35 billion.

The new airline has domestic hubs in Atlanta, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Memphis and New York City. It has international hubs in Amsterdam and Tokyo.

Delta has promised it will not close any hubs or lay off any front line employees as a result of the merger. However, observers expect the combined airline may eventually be driven to close some of its hubs or lay off more employees as a result of other factors such as economic weakness.

With the merger, Northwest becomes a Delta subsidiary called NWA Inc., merging with a Delta subsidiary called Nautilus Merger Corp. created for the merger. Delta president and chief financial officer Ed Bastian also becomes chief executive and president of Northwest. The combined airline has executive offices in Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul and New York, and international executive offices in Amsterdam, Paris and Tokyo.

Delta has said it is “committed to retaining significant jobs, operations and facilities in Minnesota.”

Delta and Northwest shareholders approved the deal Sept. 25. Delta said 99 percent of the votes cast were in favor of the deal, while at Northwest 98 percent were in favor. Nearly 70 percent of eligible votes were cast.

Delta and Northwest pilots in August approved a joint labor contract that takes effect with the close of the merger.

The Federal Aviation Administration in September accepted a plan from Delta and Northwest to pursuing a single operating certificate, a process expected to take up to 18 months.

Although the deal was expected to trigger other mergers in the airline industry, no other major U.S. airline combinations have surfaced yet - a factor which may have simplified the review by the Justice Department. The deal faced opposition from U.S. Rep. James Oberstar (D-Minn.), who heads the House transportation committee.

Delta and Northwest, like other carriers, continue to financially struggle with the effects of high fuel costs, economic weakness and heavy competition. The challenges have driven the airlines to add on extra fees and charges, changing the way people travel and frustrating many passengers.

In the third quarter, Delta lost $50 million, or 13 cents per share, attributing the results to high fuel costs. A year ago, Delta reported a profit of $220 million, or 56 cents per share.

Northwest lost $317 million in the third-quarter, or $1.20 per share, compared with a profit of $244 million, or 93 cents per share, during the same period last year.

Northwest CEO Doug Steenland, as previously announced, will leave his position but will sit on the combined company’s board.

Northwest’s senior vice president of human resources and labor relations, Mike Becker, will become executive vice president and chief operating officer of Northwest.

Mike Campbell, Steve Gorman and Glen Hauenstein from Delta will become executive vice presidents for the combined company. Campbell will serve as executive vice president of human resources, labor and communications. Gorman will be executive vice president of operations, and Hauenstein will be executive vice president of revenue and network.

Ben Hirst, Laura Liu and Theresa Wise from Northwest will become senior vice presidents of the combined company.

Hirst will be general counsel, while Liu will be senior vice president of international and Wise will be chief information officer.

Harry Cane
Oct 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
The media are reporting that the deal has been closed! Wow. I think this makes DL the world's largest airline, or close to it. Who'd have thunk it'd be here in little ol' Atlanta?

That route map looks really hot. With all of the additions internationally, especially to Africa and Latin America, Atlanta is turning into the nation's most connected city. That has to bode well for future business for the city.

john3eblover
Oct 30, 2008, 2:39 AM
It is indeed the world's largest airline. Congratulations to Delta! This is going to be fun to see how they become one airline over the next months and years

oftrue
Oct 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Georgia in running for new military center
Dobbins, McPherson or Gillem touted as ideal sites for relocation of U.S. Africa Command
By JULIA MALONE

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Washington — Five Georgia lawmakers and Gov. Sonny Perdue asked the Defense Department Wednesday to make Georgia the home base for the military’s new U.S. Africa Command.

“Georgia provides a compelling location” for the center, the officials wrote in a letter urging that Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Fort McPherson or Fort Gillem be selected for the center.

Recent headlines:

Rapper Barima McKnight gets 5-year prison term
Georgia in running for new military center
Inmate who testified against Nichols beaten
• Atlanta and Fulton County news AFRICOM, as the joint command center is known, now operates in Stuttgart, Germany. The Defense Department, which so far has been unable to reach an agreement for a base in Africa, is now looking at possible U.S. sites.

That has set off an energetic competition for the center, which is expected to have 1,300 personnel, about half of them civilian. South Carolina officials have been pushing for basing the installation in Charleston.

Teams from the Pentagon have visited all three of the potential Georgia sites, said Lindsay Mabry, spokeswoman for Sen. Saxby Chambliss, the Georgia Republican who has been leading the effort to win the installation for the state.

Chambliss and other Georgia officials last summer argued that forts Gillem in Forest Park and McPherson in Atlanta would be ideal sites. On Wednesday, they added Marietta’s Dobbins base to the list.

Dobbins has a “substantial runway network,” a rail system and an easy connection to the Port of Savannah, which is “already a point of shipment for a significant amount of cargo bound for Africa,” and has 52 acres for expansion, they said in a letter to Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Both Gillem and McPherson are scheduled to close by 2011, and plans are under way to redevelop the property. Dobbins continues to operate, despite plans to close adjacent Naval Air Station Atlanta.

Also joining the effort were Sen. Johnny Isakson and Reps. Phil Gingrey of Marietta, Tom Price of Roswell and Jack Kingston of Savannah, all Republicans.

The letter pointed out that any of the Georgia sites would have the benefit of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which has direct flights to Africa.

In an additional letter touting the Marietta site, Gingrey and Price added that the “Cobb County community is proudly patriotic” and would “welcome the addition of AFRICOM.”

Sam Olens, chairman of the Cobb County Commission, confirmed that the command center would be well received but cautioned that he was not counting on the new arrival.

“While we certainly would be thrilled for AFRICOM to move to Dobbins, I think the betting money has got to be on it staying in Stuttgart,” he said.

“They already have a very secure location there and much assets. … I’d be surprised if it came stateside.”

AFRICOM, which was formed a year ago but only became a separate command as of Oct. 1, is the newest regional headquarters for the military. Although the U.S, has relatively few troops stationed in Africa, the new command would be in charge of military relations with 53 African countries.

— Staff writer Dan Chapman contributed to this article.

jpk1292000
Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 PM
By KELLY YAMANOUCHI

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The U.S. Department of Justice has approved Delta Air Lines’ merger with Northwest, and Delta is closing the deal.

“We’re pleased the DOJ has decided not to challenge the Delta-Northwest merger and look forward to closing the merger soon,” said Delta spokesman Kent Landers.

The merger, announced in April, is essentially an acquisition of Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest by Delta. The combined carrier is called Delta and continues to be based in Atlanta.

Delta has said the merger will allow it to better compete with foreign airlines that are increasingly offering service to the United States. With Northwest, it adds one of the strongest U.S. carrier’s networks in Asia, an area where Delta had been lacking.

The close of the deal means Northwest shareholders receive 1.25 Delta shares for each Northwest share they own. Delta also will allocate 15 percent of stock to employees.

One of the factors driving the merger was high fuel costs, though oil prices have fallen significantly from the $111 a barrel price when the merger was first announced.

Delta CEO Richard Anderson is chief executive of the combined company, and Delta chairman Daniel Carp is chairman of the combined company.

The combined airline has about 75,000 employees, serves 375 cities in 66 countries and about 170 million passengers a year. It creates a company with a combined enterprise value of $17.7 billion, which expects to have annual revenue of $35 billion.

The new airline has domestic hubs in Atlanta, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Memphis and New York City. It has international hubs in Amsterdam and Tokyo.

Delta has promised it will not close any hubs or lay off any front line employees as a result of the merger. However, observers expect the combined airline may eventually be driven to close some of its hubs or lay off more employees as a result of other factors such as economic weakness.

With the merger, Northwest becomes a Delta subsidiary called NWA Inc., merging with a Delta subsidiary called Nautilus Merger Corp. created for the merger. Delta president and chief financial officer Ed Bastian also becomes chief executive and president of Northwest. The combined airline has executive offices in Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul and New York, and international executive offices in Amsterdam, Paris and Tokyo.

Delta has said it is “committed to retaining significant jobs, operations and facilities in Minnesota.”

Delta and Northwest shareholders approved the deal Sept. 25. Delta said 99 percent of the votes cast were in favor of the deal, while at Northwest 98 percent were in favor. Nearly 70 percent of eligible votes were cast.

Delta and Northwest pilots in August approved a joint labor contract that takes effect with the close of the merger.

The Federal Aviation Administration in September accepted a plan from Delta and Northwest to pursuing a single operating certificate, a process expected to take up to 18 months.

Although the deal was expected to trigger other mergers in the airline industry, no other major U.S. airline combinations have surfaced yet - a factor which may have simplified the review by the Justice Department. The deal faced opposition from U.S. Rep. James Oberstar (D-Minn.), who heads the House transportation committee.

Delta and Northwest, like other carriers, continue to financially struggle with the effects of high fuel costs, economic weakness and heavy competition. The challenges have driven the airlines to add on extra fees and charges, changing the way people travel and frustrating many passengers.

In the third quarter, Delta lost $50 million, or 13 cents per share, attributing the results to high fuel costs. A year ago, Delta reported a profit of $220 million, or 56 cents per share.

Northwest lost $317 million in the third-quarter, or $1.20 per share, compared with a profit of $244 million, or 93 cents per share, during the same period last year.

Northwest CEO Doug Steenland, as previously announced, will leave his position but will sit on the combined company’s board.

Northwest’s senior vice president of human resources and labor relations, Mike Becker, will become executive vice president and chief operating officer of Northwest.

Mike Campbell, Steve Gorman and Glen Hauenstein from Delta will become executive vice presidents for the combined company. Campbell will serve as executive vice president of human resources, labor and communications. Gorman will be executive vice president of operations, and Hauenstein will be executive vice president of revenue and network.

Ben Hirst, Laura Liu and Theresa Wise from Northwest will become senior vice presidents of the combined company.

Hirst will be general counsel, while Liu will be senior vice president of international and Wise will be chief information officer.

This really is big news for Atlanta. For all of us excited to see Atlanta become a major player as a global city, the importance of this merger can't be understated.

PremierAtlanta
Nov 2, 2008, 7:49 PM
This really is big news for Atlanta. For all of us excited to see Atlanta become a major player as a global city, the importance of this merger can't be understated.

I agree JPK. I am so excited with the merger of Delta and NWA.

oftrue
Nov 12, 2008, 8:45 PM
Delta to Offer Customers Service to More Unique International Destinations in 2009
Wednesday November 12, 1:00 pm ET

Airline advances strategy of balancing network for increased
stability through economic cycles with addition of 15 new routes to
the world's fastest growing economies in Asia, Africa, Europe and the
Middle East

Increased connectivity between domestic hubs beginning January 2009
improves customers' access to destinations worldwide

ADVERTISEMENT

ATLANTA, Nov. 12, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) today announced it is adding 15 new international routes for summer 2009, including service to 12 destinations not flown by any other U.S. carrier. The addition of trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic and African routes advances Delta's strategy of taking customers to more unique destinations across the globe and investing in underserved markets.

``As America's flag carrier to the world, offering service to more destinations than any other airline is an advantage our customers count on. Furthermore, smart growth to unique and emerging markets across the globe is a key ingredient of Delta's proven business strategy,'' said Glen Hauenstein, executive vice president of Network Planning and Revenue Management. ``Delta continues to hone a distinct and strategic global network that capitalizes on new opportunities created by our recent merger with Northwest; our leading position in New York -- the world's largest business market; and the unparalleled connectivity of Atlanta -- the world's largest passenger hub.

``In the current atmosphere of international financial uncertainty, the breadth of Delta's network positions the airline to take advantage of markets that continue to thrive, while offering a natural hedge where there is economic softness,'' added Hauenstein.

Delta's long-haul expansion for 2009 will be focused in three regions:

* Trans-Pacific: Delta plans to add three new nonstop trans-Pacific
flights between the United States and Tokyo-Narita, Japan,
including new nonstop flights from Salt Lake City(1,3) and New York-
JFK(1), a second daily flight from Atlanta(1,3), and daily service
connecting customers beyond Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam(1,3).
* Africa: Delta will expand its industry-leading position in Africa
with new flights between Atlanta and Nairobi, Kenya(1) and Cape Town,
South Africa(1,5) (via Dakar, Senegal); between Atlanta and
Monrovia, Liberia(1); Abuja, Nigeria(1); Luanda, Angola(1); and Malabo,
Equatorial Guinea(1) (all via Sal Island, Cape Verde); and between
New York-JFK and Lagos, Nigeria(1). Delta also will introduce its
first daily nonstop service to South Africa with flights between
Atlanta and Johannesburg(1,2).
* Europe/Middle East: Delta will expand its leading position across
the Atlantic with the only nonstop flights operated to Gothenberg,
Sweden(1) and Valencia, Spain(1), both from New York-JFK. Delta
also will expand its service at New York-JFK with nonstop service
to Prague, Czech Republic(1) and Zurich, Switzerland (seasonal); as
well as the addition of a second nonstop flight between New York-
JFK and Tel Aviv(1).

Taking advantage of new opportunities created by its recent merger with Northwest, Delta's proposed new flights between Atlanta, Salt Lake City and New York and its hub at Tokyo-Narita open service to nine of Asia's top 20 markets not served by Delta prior to the combination, including a new flight to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Delta's flight between Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita is the first and only trans-Pacific service from the Rocky Mountain region.

``Through the merger, Delta is able to unleash the power of the Tokyo hub by connecting it to the largest U.S. domestic network with new flights from Atlanta, New York and Salt Lake City feeding intra-Asian routes with greater trans-Pacific capacity,'' said Hauenstein.

These flights are in addition to new trans-Pacific service previously announced by Northwest Airlines, including daily nonstop flights between Seattle and Beijing(3) beginning March 1, 2009 and nonstop service connecting Detroit and Shanghai(3), effective March 28, 2009.

Across the Atlantic, Delta's 2009 growth focuses on underserved markets with high growth rates and robust traffic patterns that have historically been difficult to reach from the United States. With the addition of nonstop service to Gothenberg, Sweden(1) and Valencia, Spain(1), Delta will offer customers service to 13 European destinations not flown by any other U.S. airline. As part of its successful joint venture with Air France, Delta also recently announced new nonstop flights connecting Raleigh-Durham, N.C. and Pittsburgh to Air France's hub at Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport(1), effective June 2009.

In 2009, Delta expects to remain the only U.S. carrier flying nonstop to Africa and is building on its success since inaugurating service there in 2006. For customers, more nonstop service to Africa from the United States eliminates lengthy connections through Europe, trimming several hours off average travel times.

``Traffic between the United States and Africa is projected to grow more than 5 percent annually through 2027,'' said Hauenstein. ``With demand for travel to Africa spread across the United States, Delta is uniquely positioned to collect this growing base of traffic through the world's largest passenger hub in Atlanta, as well as via the top U.S. market in New York to fly customers direct to 12 of Africa's top destinations.''

Increased U.S. hub-to-hub capacity improves connectivity

To prepare for the summer 2009 schedule, Delta in January will increase connectivity between its U.S. hubs to improve customers' connections to the world. Overall, Delta will offer 14.5 percent more capacity between Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, New York and Memphis in January 2009 compared with the year prior.

Hub-to-hub changes include replacing select regional jet flights with mainline equipment connecting Atlanta to Memphis, Minneapolis and Detroit. Delta also will add a third daily flight between Salt Lake City and Detroit; new daily service between Salt Lake City and Memphis; and new daily service connecting New York-JFK and Memphis.

``Improving the connectivity of every Delta hub builds a stronger platform to take customers from all over the United States to destinations around the globe,'' Hauenstein said. ``Each Delta hub has a unique role in the new Delta network, and we will continue to invest in the infrastructure to make each hub successful and ensure it is conveniently connected to the world.''

Delta also continues to roll out customer benefits as it integrates with Northwest. Effective Jan. 5, 2009, customers can take advantage of full Delta-Northwest codeshare reciprocity on flights between Delta hubs, creating thousands of additional connecting opportunities. Delta will launch a fully consolidated worldwide flight schedule in advance of summer 2009.

Delta's new international service beginning summer 2009 includes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Region Route Effective Aircraft Frequency
Trans-Pacific New York-JFK to June 4, 2009 Boeing daily
Tokyo-Narita, 777-200ER
Japan(1)
-------------------------------------------------------
Salt Lake City to June 3, 2009 Airbus five times
Tokyo-Narita, 330-200 weekly
Japan(1,3)
Atlanta to Tokyo May 4, 2009 Boeing daily
Narita, Japan(1,3) 747-400
(second frequency)
Tokyo-Narita, June 1, 2009 Boeing daily
Japan to Ho Chi 757-200
Minh City,
Vietnam(1,3)
Africa Atlanta to June 1, 2009 Boeing daily
Johannesburg, 777-200LR
South Africa(1,2)
Atlanta to June 2, 2009 Boeing four times
Nairobi, Kenya 767-300ER weekly
(1,5)
Atlanta to June 8, 2009 Boeing once
Monrovia, Liberia 757-200ER weekly
(1,4)
Atlanta to Abuja, June 10, 2009 Boeing twice
Nigeria(1,4) 757-200ER weekly
Atlanta to Luanda, June 14, 2009 Boeing twice
Angola(1,4) 757-200ER weekly
Atlanta to Malabo, June 16, 2009 Boeing once
Equatorial Guinea 757-200ER weekly
(1,4)
Atlanta to Cape June 1, 2009 Boeing three
Town, South Africa 767-300ER times
(1,5) weekly
New York-JFK to June 9, 2009 Boeing five times
Lagos, Nigeria(1) 767-300ER weekly
Europe/
Middle East New York-JFK to June 11, 2009 Boeing four times
Gothenberg, Sweden 757-200ER weekly
New York-JFK to June 18, 2009 Boeing three
Prague, Czech 767-300 times
Republic(1) weekly
New York-JFK to June 5, 2009 Boeing four times
Valencia, Spain(1) 757-200ER weekly
New York-JFK to June 8, 2009 Boeing daily
Zurich, 757-200ER (seasonal)
Switzerland
New York-JFK to June 30, 2009 Boeing four times
Tel Aviv(1) 767-300ER weekly
(second frequency)

1. Subject to government approval; Delta today applied with the U.S.
Department of transportation seeking authority for the proposed new
services on the New York-Tokyo, Atlanta-Luanda and Atlanta-Malabo
routes; Delta's wholly owned subsidiary, Northwest Airlines, Inc.
applied for DOT authority to serve Tokyo-Ho Chi Minh.
2. Replaces flight between Atlanta and Johannesburg via Dakar.
3. Flight operated under Northwest Airlines operating certificate.
4. Flight stops in Sal Island, Cape Verde.
5. Flight stops in Dakar, Senegal; Atlanta-Cape Town service replaces
flight from New York-JFK to Cape Town.

To celebrate the new service Delta is offering special fares for travel on these new flights. Fares and details are available at delta.com.

Customers flying on the new flights will have the opportunity to experience Delta's award-winning BusinessElite service, offering a more personalized, comfortable and entertaining experience with all-leather sleeper seats, innovative food offerings from celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein and award-winning, original wine selections chosen by Delta's Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. The airline's on-demand personal in-seat entertainment boasts more than 20 first-run and popular classic movies, a variety of TV programs, a broad range of music, and a suite of 12 video games in both classes of service. The refurbished business-class experience is available on Delta's fleet of international-range Boeing 767-300ER, 767-400ER and 777-200ER aircraft.

Delta's new Boeing 777-200 Long Range aircraft offer seating for up to 276 passengers, including 43 BusinessElite seats manufactured by Contour Premium Aircraft Seating that recline to fully horizontal six-foot, three-inch beds. Seats are in a one-two-one configuration giving every BusinessElite customer direct aisle access.

Detailed information on Delta's in-flight products and services, as well as fleet information is available at delta.com.

The airline's expanding global network also benefits Delta Cargo customers, opening up more opportunities to ship directly to more markets than any other carrier in the world.

About Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines is the world's largest airline. From its hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita, Delta, its Northwest Airlines subsidiary and Delta Connection carriers offer service to more than 375 destinations worldwide in 66 countries and serve more than 170 million passengers each year. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem either SkyMiles or WorldPerks on more than 16,000 daily flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta and its 75,000 worldwide employees are reshaping the aviation industry as the only U.S. airline to offer a full global network. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes, check bags and flight status at delta.com.

Travel for some itineraries may be provided by Delta subsidiary Northwest Airlines or Delta Connection/Northwest Airlink carriers: Compass, Mesaba, Comair, Chautauqua, Pinnacle, ASA, Shuttle America and SkyWest.

The Delta Air Lines, Inc. logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=1825

OCA REP
Nov 19, 2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.hmmhteam.com/images/main_02.gif
http://www.nobel.co.in/clients/mhjit/images/display_1.gif
http://atlanta.daybooknetwork.com/images/campaigns/3185/upload/maynardholbookjacksonjr.internationalterminalnightview-sml.jpg

Project Website:
http://www.hmmhteam.com/index.asp

Very cool looking design. It is unfortunate that the new international terminal too must be named after Mr. Jackson. I thought that adding his name to the actual airport name would have been enough... :(

Andrea
Nov 19, 2008, 11:09 PM
Is the airport construction going to be stopped because they can't sell bonds?

john3eblover
Nov 20, 2008, 4:00 PM
Probably :-/

Andrea
Nov 20, 2008, 4:27 PM
Bummer. Why did Republicans do this to us?

john3eblover
Nov 20, 2008, 5:33 PM
Well, George Bush obviously. He's clearly the problem here.

ATLaffinity
Nov 20, 2008, 7:09 PM
delta keeps announcing exotic destinations while they stick you in beat-up planes that they don't even clean anymore.

i want them to succeed but they've done very little for customers.

john3eblover
Nov 20, 2008, 7:49 PM
delta keeps announcing exotic destinations while they stick you in beat-up planes that they don't even clean anymore.

I disagree, but everyone's experiences are different.

STrek777
Nov 21, 2008, 2:23 AM

What in gay hell are you talking about!?!?! No No... I just realized that you have no idea what you are talking about what so ever!

"beat-up planes" ... "don't even clean anymore" ... Seriously!?

atlantaguy
Nov 21, 2008, 3:56 PM
That has not been my experience - at all. In fact, I see improvements just within the last year, both on the ground here at ATL and in the air.

Andrea
Nov 21, 2008, 4:13 PM
I have definitely seen those improvements, and have talked about them with several friends who've noticed them, too. Go Delta!

:tup:

Atlantan26
Nov 21, 2008, 5:22 PM
Delta has been the cleanest airline i have flown on and we are lucky to have them based here.

Andrea
Nov 21, 2008, 8:58 PM
Has anyone been using that Clear (http://www.flyclear.com/) program? What's it like?

ATLaffinity
Nov 21, 2008, 9:21 PM
What in gay hell are you talking about!?!?! No No... I just realized that you have no idea what you are talking about what so ever!

"beat-up planes" ... "don't even clean anymore" ... Seriously!?

dude, Delta has an old fleet. i think only NW is older so they will really have an old fleet next year.

i know you're a big apologist but it remains a mediocre airline, a shadow of the delta that was considered the best in the business.

are most american carriers just as bad? yes, though Continental and SW have put out a better product in lean times.

i do like the FA outfits they came out with a couple years ago:tup:

john3eblover
Nov 22, 2008, 2:07 AM
dude, Delta has an old fleet. i think only NW is older so they will really have an old fleet next year.

i know you're a big apologist but it remains a mediocre airline, a shadow of the delta that was considered the best in the business.

are most american carriers just as bad? yes, though Continental and SW have put out a better product in lean times.

i do like the FA outfits they came out with a couple years ago:tup:

It's purely your opinion. I fly all the major airlines pretty frequently, and Delta is easily closer to the top. In fact, I've never had an experience with Continental that made me think it deserved its "lofty" status...but, as i said, everbody's experiences are different.

Delta is making more changes to its product right now than anybody else. It's that attitude that I appreciate about them.

SteveD
Nov 22, 2008, 4:29 PM
Has anyone been using that Clear (http://www.flyclear.com/) program? What's it like?

I'm signed up with it Andrea. At Atlanta, at least so far, it's a joke, because they don't really have a lane or lanes set up for it. Once you "clear" the "Clear" area, you're right back into the security clearance area for "premium" or "first class" travelers. I've been told they're working on making it more seamless, but right now it just adds an additional step and is not a time saver at all. I've used it in other airports, where it's been better thought out, and have saved considerable time. In HJAIA's case, in their defense, it's really too new to fairly evaluate yet.

Signing up is easy enough though, and when I did it a month or so ago they were running a "special" in Atlanta in an attempt to ramp up here.

Andrea
Nov 22, 2008, 6:24 PM
Steve, thanks very much. Sounds like it's not quite ready for prime time, but it's a great concept.

Pompuss
Nov 22, 2008, 7:13 PM
Guys,
I didn't feel like looking back at previous posts but what is the latest with the runway extension that was to be built now that 747-400's will be coming in on a regular basis via Northwest's fleet?

Harry Cane
Nov 23, 2008, 9:51 PM
Haven't seen anything at all on that since it was first announced. Though I'm sure they can be accommodated as is--South African, Air France and several cargo carriers have regularly landed the 747's here.

ThrashATL
Nov 24, 2008, 2:13 AM
Wouldn't a Polar 747-400 cargo be about as heavy as a NW/Delta 747 fueled and loaded with passengers? Also JAL had 747's to Tokyo out of ATL and didn't need any additional runway then.

john3eblover
Nov 24, 2008, 3:12 PM
Guys,
I didn't feel like looking back at previous posts but what is the latest with the runway extension that was to be built now that 747-400's will be coming in on a regular basis via Northwest's fleet?

Good question, I'm sure its being worked on. Didn't notice anything last time I flew through though...

john3eblover
Nov 24, 2008, 3:15 PM
Wouldn't a Polar 747-400 cargo be about as heavy as a NW/Delta 747 fueled and loaded with passengers? Also JAL had 747's to Tokyo out of ATL and didn't need any additional runway then.

There must be some very slight weight restrictions on the hottest summer afternoons that they feel will be removed with a few hundred more feet of runway :-/ Can't hurt I guess, maybe they are getting ready for 77Ws some time soon! ;)

trainiac
Nov 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
Google started hosting a bunch of images from Life Magazine. Check out this picture of the lobby of the old airport terminal in 1956

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=25f717ee2fb89605_landing

OK, here's the link so you can start wasting time too (http://images.google.com/hosted/life) :)

ThrashATL
Nov 25, 2008, 9:38 PM
Google started hosting a bunch of images from Life Magazine. Check out this picture of the lobby of the old airport terminal in 1956

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=25f717ee2fb89605_landing

I do like the big ashcan out in the middle of nowhere.

MAH4546
Dec 4, 2008, 7:47 AM
Delta will begin to cut some international routes this winter and spring. The announcement that Atlanta-Kuwait City service will be discontinued in February should come shortly. The route is performing very poorly.

Andrea
Dec 4, 2008, 3:09 PM
I do like the big ashcan out in the middle of nowhere.

I love that photo. Not only did they have ashtrays handy, but there were also chairs where folks could have a seat while waiting for the next available agent and phone booths where you could make a private call.

sabino86
Dec 9, 2008, 3:59 PM
I love that photo. Not only did they have ashtrays handy, but there were also chairs where folks could have a seat while waiting for the next available agent and phone booths where you could make a private call.

You mean the airlines were actually nice?????

Shocker.

Sulley
Dec 16, 2008, 5:03 AM
This is so hot.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4245201/

john3eblover
Dec 16, 2008, 2:52 PM
This is so hot.

It's so beautiful. I've been waiting for this for years and years

Atlwest281
Dec 16, 2008, 5:58 PM
:previous: I think the new plane is FANTASTIC!!! From what i understand though the interior is the same old NWA Coach cabin and there new World biz seats. Would be nice if they would have put in the new suites and the slimline seats in coach and rotate it through the system on high traffic/prestige routes so NWA pax could get a true feel for the Delta international product which is btw very good. Not Swissair good, but the potential to be. :)

john3eblover
Dec 17, 2008, 12:21 AM
I believe at some point in the near future they will be upgrading the 744s to the new DL international seats, etc...

1lifealex
Dec 18, 2008, 6:26 PM
The new Delta 747 flew for the first time 0n the 16th, there is a pic on the Delta blog.

Fiorenza
Dec 18, 2008, 6:36 PM
Which routes will they initially serve?

1lifealex
Dec 18, 2008, 8:01 PM
I know there will be a flight from Atlanta to Tokyo-Narita, Japan starting on May 4, 2009 on a 747.

GTviajero81
Dec 18, 2008, 8:24 PM
Fiorenza: the new Delta 744 will be flying intra-Asia flights from the Tokyo hub in the interim.

GTviajero81
Dec 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
OH SNAP!!!! Delta is once again shaking things up! Read on:

Delta Strengthens Los Angeles Gateway with New Nonstop Flights to Sydney, Sao Paulo, Increased Service to New York

Enhanced marketing alliance with Alaska Air Group enables Delta’s L.A. expansion with improved connections for customers across the West Coast

Delta to become only U.S. airline to fly to six continents

ATLANTA, Dec. 18, 2008 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) will strengthen its gateway at Los Angeles International Airport in 2009 with the addition of its first-ever daily nonstop service between Los Angeles and Sydney, Australia* effective July 1; three-times weekly service between Los Angeles and Sao Paulo, Brazil* beginning May 21; and increased service between Los Angeles and New York-JFK starting March 2.

Delta’s growth at Los Angeles is supported by the recently announced expanded marketing agreement between Delta and Alaska Air Group that will make the two companies preferred partners on the West Coast and bolster connectivity at Los Angeles. The agreement will make Sydney, Sao Paulo, as well as Delta’s existing international flights to Latin America, Tokyo-Narita**, Seoul-Inchon**, Guangzhou**, Amsterdam**, Paris-Charles De Gaulle** and other U.S. destinations more accessible to travelers from points throughout the West Coast via easy connections with Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. Delta and its Northwest Airlines subsidiary together with Alaska and Horizon offer customers daily connections to approximately 45 nonstop destinations to, from and through Los Angeles.

With the addition of Sydney, Delta will become the only U.S. airline to fly to six continents, enhancing its position as the premier global airline.

“Delta’s strategy of expanding our reach to select destinations while demonstrating capacity discipline in light of tough worldwide economic conditions continues to work and is paying off for our customers,” said Glen Hauenstein, Delta’s executive vice president, Network Planning and Revenue Management. “Los Angeles is a critical gateway in our global network and today’s announcement, coupled with Delta’s enhanced alliance with Alaska Air Group, gives us the ability to support demand for air travel in key global economies.”

Beginning in March, Delta also will increase nonstop service between Los Angeles and New York-JFK from seven to eight daily flights to improve connections for New York and Northeast customers on long-haul international flights via Los Angeles. Additionally, Delta customers in the Southeastern U.S. will benefit from same-plane service between Atlanta and Sydney via LA.

Delta’s new service between Los Angeles and Sydney will operate as follows:

Flight

Departs

Arrives

Effective

Equipment

Frequency

DL17

Los Angeles at 10:40 p.m.

Sydney at 6:40 a.m. (two days later)

July 1, 2009

Boeing 777-200LR

Daily

DL16

Sydney at 9:15 a.m.

Los Angeles at 6 a.m.

July 3, 2009

Boeing 777-200LR

Daily

Delta’s new service between Los Angeles and Sao Paulo will operate as follows:

Flight

Departs

Arrives

Effective

Equipment

Frequency

DL233

Los Angeles at 9 p.m.

Sao Paulo at 1:20 p.m. (next day)

May 21, 2009

Boeing 767-300ER

Tue., Thurs., Sun.

DL234

Sao Paulo at 10:25 p.m.

Los Angeles at 7:30 a.m. (next day)

May 22, 2009

Boeing 767-300ER

Mon., Wed., Fri.

Customers flying Delta’s award-winning BusinessElite service Boeing 777-200LR aircraft between Los Angeles and Sydney or on Boeing 767-300ER aircraft between Los Angeles and Sao Paulo will enjoy Delta on Demand featuring first-run and popular classic movies, music, TV programming and video games – all available on demand; a five-course menu offering culinary creations by celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein; a reinvented wine program by Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson featuring wines from around the world; full-size pillows and duvets; and in-seat power outlets that allow customers to recharge their laptops.

Additionally, passengers traveling in BusinessElite on the new Boeing 777-200LR will enjoy fully horizontal personal sleeper suites, next-generation, more comfortable seats in coach, and Delta on Demand entertainment system on larger screens at every seat.

To celebrate the new international routes, Delta is offering special one-way introductory fares of $499*** from Los Angeles to Sydney for travel between July 1 and Sept. 21, 2009. Tickets must be purchased by Jan. 12, 2009. Also, from Los Angeles to Sao Paulo, customers may purchase fares of $449*** for travel between May 31 and July 31, 2009. Tickets must be purchased by Jan. 5, 2009. Round-trip ticket purchase required. Additional taxes/fees/restrictions/baggage charges may apply. Details are included below.

Delta’s new flights between Los Angeles and Sydney, Los Angeles and Sao Paulo, as well as increased service to New York-JFK, are available for booking now at delta.com.

john3eblover
Dec 21, 2008, 4:15 AM
Fiorenza: the new Delta 744 will be flying intra-Asia flights from the Tokyo hub in the interim.

I think it will be doing rotations on all the 744 routes in the NW system...aka, DTW-NRT-HKG-NRT-MSP etc

john3eblover
Dec 21, 2008, 4:16 AM
There are photos and a video of it in LAX a few days ago

OCA REP
Dec 22, 2008, 10:25 PM
This is so hot.

Yes it is... HOT that is!

Here is a shot of it in action, also from www.airliners.net

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/7/5/0/1452057.jpg

Enjoy!

smArTaLlone
Dec 31, 2008, 8:14 PM
Atlanta Business Chronicle (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/12/29/daily30.html) - by J. Scott Trubey Staff Writer

Hartsfield-Jackson officials have set 10 goals to meet their 2009 resolution. The goals are:

-Redesign the airport Web site (www.atlanta-airport.com) with new interactive features, graphics and photographs. The airport also wants to increase the site’s functionality for instant information, parking availability, flight information and security waits. The site will also be upgraded with functionality in Spanish, German, French and Chinese.

-Having ample parking through its more than 30,000 on-site spaces.

-Improved security screening. The airport recently opened new security lanes, bring its total to 32. Airport officials say waits will be less than 10 minutes on average during non-peak times, and less than 20 minutes on average at peak periods.

-New shopping. More than 70 new stores will open between Jan. 1 and the summer as part of Hartsfield-Jackson’s planned “retail renaissance.” Names include Brooks Brothers, Sean John and Lacoste.

-New international destinations. Starting in the summer, Atlanta will have more access to Africa than any other U.S. airport. Overall, the city will boast 90 international destinations to 55 countries, including non-stop service to cities in Europe, Asia, Latin and South America.

-New Art. The airport boasts about 250 pieces across its six concourses and will add a permanent collection on Concourse T from the Arrowmont School of Art and Craft in Tennessee.

-New entertainment will be offered at the airport, including the return of its holiday music series and a rotation of regular pianists in the atrium and on Concourse E.

-Improved sights in Hartsfield-Jackson’s terminals, including its planters and landscaping on its 4,700-acre grounds.

-CONRAC (Consolidated Rental Car Facility). CONRAC, which opens in November, will hold all airport rental car agencies and is connected to Hartsfield-Jackson via automated tram. CONRAC will reduce traffic congestion and link the airport to two new hotels under construction at the Georgia International Convention Center.

-Recycling. The airport will implement in early 2009 a comprehensive recycling program that ultimately will reduce the airport’s landfill load by 70 percent. The airport said it will become Atlanta's largest recycler.

dirtybird
Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 PM
I look forward to trying out One Flew South (http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com) next time I'm flying.

smArTaLlone
Jan 12, 2009, 8:42 PM
Wings Air says flight time will be 15 minutes

Monday, January 12, 2009

Lawrencevillle-based Wings Air said Monday that it will begin flights from Gwinnett County to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport beginning Feb. 1.

The company’s stock-in-trade is the ability to get passengers to the airport without traffic delays and, at least in the case of its Macon and Athens passengers, to clear security at their much less-busy home airports.

Wings Air President Charlie Mintz said in a statement that the company is working with the Transportation Security Administration to create a screening service at Gwinnett County’s airport “in the near future.”

Flying time from the Lawrenceville airport to Hartsfield-Jackson is 15 minutes, according to the company.

— Michael Pearson

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2009, 7:44 PM
Any comments on the rumors that Delta may be ready to announce relocation of their headquarters out of Atlanta? I can imagine quality of life issues for their employees in the airport area and south metro area can be a huge issue. The schools suck, the neighborhoods suck, they catch lots of demands from the city. I'm just asking.

PremierAtlanta
Jan 19, 2009, 8:41 PM
Any comments on the rumors that Delta may be ready to announce relocation of their headquarters out of Atlanta? I can imagine quality of life issues for their employees in the airport area and south metro area can be a huge issue. The schools suck, the neighborhoods suck, they catch lots of demands from the city. I'm just asking.

As cash strapped as ALL airlines are, it would behoove them not to make any fast and irrational moves. I have not heard this rumor but then again I don't deal in the rumor realm. As far as schools one could find a good school for their children if they understand what to look for. As a mother, it is not difficult to research school areas that are a great fit for your children. Fayette County has good schools...and for excellent, choose the Peachtree City area.

As far as the neighborhoods not being sufficient, I would be curious as to what's the deciding factor for such an assessment. Every place south of the city is not deficient, like every place north of the city is not great. If Delta is in fact choosing to make a move for such simple minded reasons then I would be saddened. I went to school in Sandy Springs and lived in Dunwoody of Fulton Cty and I knew many pilots who lived in the area. A vast majority of Delta's pilots already live in Peachtree City. The country's first masterplanned community.

Surely the executives and decision makers of Delta...if there are grumblings rising...have enough intelligence to understand the dynamics of their employees. I'm sure that Delta executives are far more intelligent than to fall for those silly social issues...if they are in fact considering a move. If the schools and neighborhoods on the southside are the issue then I would equate that train of thought to a person who likes to throw rocks and hide their hands. I won't even consider that assinine and quite juvenile arguement as the reason. It would be better that they speak for their own small minds and not for Delta as a corporation...who have been longtime and excellent corporate citizens to the greater Atlanta community.

I would assume that it's to extract more concessions during the renegotiation of their contract with the airport.

For the record, I would like to encourage the airport officials and the city to be as accomadating as possible with reasonable request from Delta Airlines. They are a true assest to the city and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
I can relate to your defensive reaction, but let's try to be objective in analyzing the situation. Delta has tens of thousands of employees in Atlanta. These people are mostly middle class with families. Delta is concerned about their employees' welfare. More and more Delta employees have relocated from other parts of the country. There is a tremendous "culture shock" if they happen to move to vast areas of the southside. The overall situation in these areas is getting worse not better. I've been accused of being racist, but personally I see it more as a cultural and economic disparity rather than racial. Trying to look at the circumstances without emotion, comparing to other metro areas where Delta could put their headquarters if not the bulk of their operations, why would they choose to remain in the middle of the conditions prevalent within 15 miles in any direction from their Atlanta headquarters?

popewiz
Jan 19, 2009, 11:48 PM
While I understand the huge economic implications of Delta leaving Atlanta, am I the only one that would welcome non-monopolized fare prices?

NativeAtlantan
Jan 20, 2009, 1:45 AM
Fiorenza, aren't airports ALWAYS in a bad part of any town? Where would they go where the situation would be better?

Fiorenza
Jan 20, 2009, 1:58 AM
Sandy Springs.

Fiorenza
Jan 20, 2009, 2:15 AM
I mean the HQ.

Chris Creech
Jan 20, 2009, 2:59 AM
All I've heard (and this may be where the rumor came from) is that Delta is trying hard to get Atlanta to lower their gate fees, they've apparently made no secret of the fact that if Atlanta doesn't lower fees, they could consider moving much of their gate capacity to other cities (like to some of the old NW gates in Memphis).

Fiorenza
Jan 20, 2009, 3:00 AM
Delta is threatening to shift a significant number of connecting flights to Memphis, where there is excess capacity. There's a lot of uncertainty around future costs after the lease expires in 2010. The cost of the international terminal is a major sticking point.

Andrea
Jan 20, 2009, 4:24 AM

PremierAtlanta
Jan 20, 2009, 5:30 AM
I can relate to your defensive reaction, but let's try to be objective in analyzing the situation. Delta has tens of thousands of employees in Atlanta. These people are mostly middle class with families. Delta is concerned about their employees' welfare. More and more Delta employees have relocated from other parts of the country. There is a tremendous "culture shock" if they happen to move to vast areas of the southside. The overall situation in these areas is getting worse not better. I've been accused of being racist, but personally I see it more as a cultural and economic disparity rather than racial. Trying to look at the circumstances without emotion, comparing to other metro areas where Delta could put their headquarters if not the bulk of their operations, why would they choose to remain in the middle of the conditions prevalent within 15 miles in any direction from their Atlanta headquarters?

Fiorenza, with all due respect, do not trifle with me. However insincere you choose to be, you will not find me so.

Your initial post regarding this matter did not imply that you were talking about a cross town move. I could care less where their headquarters are within metro Atlanta. A vast majority of their workers will still work at the airport. Flight Attendant and Mechinist do not work out of the corporate headquarters so moving corporate to Sandy Springs probably would not affect as many as you would like for us to think it would.

I would also imagine that a great majority of those who are relocated here will go their their corporate relocation department...don't you think Delta has already complied a nice little list of "where to show homes." You know...as well as you know I know...that you were merely attempting to take a swipe at the southside. Are you racist...quite honestly I could care less. I highly doubt that you have enough power to affect anyone's lives outside of your own immediate family. If you were in a place of power over people then it probably would bother me...but I give your comments not too much thought outside of this board.

Let me be frank, I have my own prejudices...and I own them. I am not as tolerant as I would like to be of others based on their socio-economic ranks. That doesn't make me a bad person but I am definitely not proud of it...but I admit mine.

For the record, I do not live on the southside...but I don't think it's as horrible as you make it out to be. I would not want to live in a project in Clayton County nor would I want to live near chicken coups in northern Forsyth County either. I wish everybody could live in the Mount Paran District. I think it's the best location in the nation. I wished everyone had such an opportunity to live here. If these middle class people can't find a home in Gwinnett, Cobb, Fayette, Rockdale or Douglas then I have to question their search. Are their taste out ranking their pocketbooks?

For families without the ability to send their children to private schools, you can't beat northern Fulton County. There is no location in metro Atlanta with as many top performing schools both locally and nationally. It even has access to Marta for ease of travel to the airport. Instead of throwing stones and whining, I would hope that these people do some research...they are responsible for their own children after all.

Fiorenza
Jan 20, 2009, 2:56 PM
We probably won't disagree on many of Atlanta's advantages, and yes, I have very little influence with anybody, but I'm trying to say it's not your daddy's southside down there. My perception: things are getting worse, not even staying roughly the same with that area. If you're Delta, you have to deal with that constraining reality. Most of your employees are faced with a 1+ hour commute. Many potential quality employees don't want to deal with it, even in a bad economy. Delta would be foolish not to look at other areas of Atlanta as well as other metro regions for operations that do not require physical proximity to the Atlanta airport. In fact, that's what they're doing.

Andrea
Jan 20, 2009, 6:18 PM

Atlwest281
Jan 20, 2009, 7:06 PM
I think the southside is poised for great things. The Northside, while the idyllic suburb, has some negatives against it. Yes Mount Paran is a good school but it is NOT a public school district and most of the workers i can almost bet cant afford the 13k plus for tuition. Dont discount the South Metro. Yes there are blighted areas but there are many good people and places in that area.

yangtze
Feb 1, 2009, 7:56 PM
I have read today that the tunneling for the new terminal is about complete,
which will connect the new terminal to the old one. I am a bit confused.

Are they extending Marta to the international terminal or just the underground
airport transit train? It would be horrible if Marta passangers will have to recheck the bags upon international arrival - for me that would defeat the whole
purpose of the new international terminal, since I only take Marta to and back-from the airport.

Finally, did airport consider using terminal T for international traffic? That
would be a very easy solution to the problem of rechecking the bags for Atlanta arrivals, as you can leave the T-terminal without entering the underground system.

Fiorenza
Feb 1, 2009, 8:07 PM
The Terminal T was orginally built and used for international traffic - back in the Eighties.

atlantaguy
Feb 1, 2009, 8:23 PM
^Right - we outgrew Terminal T years ago for International traffic.

And no, yangtze - MARTA is not being expanded to the new terminal. There is talk of a new Hapeville spur, but I don't believe it ties in directly with the new terminal.

GTviajero81
Feb 2, 2009, 1:24 AM
I would think that the airport would provide shuttles or some other method of transportation to get travellers from the new International Terminal back to the MARTA station.

Fiorenza
Feb 2, 2009, 3:28 AM
I imagine they'll need to use the tube.

Rail Claimore
Feb 2, 2009, 5:23 AM
Clayton County is getting worse... dunno about the rest of the south suburbs, but Henry County is still growing like a weed, Coweta is on the verge of a huge growth spurt, and isn't Fayette actually the wealthiest county per capita in metro Atlanta? Don't forget that Atlanta's western suburbs (which seem to be forgotten about) are very convenient in relative location to the airport with Camp Creek Pkwy and Fairburn Road, and they're relatively cheap compared to the northern or even eastern burbs.

Fiorenza, aren't airports ALWAYS in a bad part of any town? Where would they go where the situation would be better?

O'Hare is an airport that's in a good part of its metro area. In fact, it's arguably the primary cause for Chicago's disproportionate sprawl to the north and northwest. Atlanta experienced the opposite with Hartsfield.

yangtze
Feb 2, 2009, 1:51 PM
I would think that the airport would provide shuttles or some other method of transportation to get travellers from the new International Terminal back to the MARTA station.

I also hope there will be a passenger shuttle from the new terminal to main
terminal, bypassing the security and recheck.

Once I had to wait a full hour for my luggage at the main terminal, after rechecking. I realized that if you spend too much time before rechecking,
and the arrival area is not busy, then your luggage will miss the truck
and will wait for the arrival of the next flight,
because the airport does not want to shuttle the bags if the
truck is not full. Its horrible.

If they don't have the shuttle, Ill just pay for the taxi or drive.