PDA

View Full Version : DUBAI | Burj Al Alam | 1,673 FT / 510 M | 108 FLOORS | ON HOLD

Pages : [1] 2

malec
Mar 8, 2006, 7:05 PM
The 101F burj al alam (used to be called fortune 101). Finally it's been released :D
I love it. It's Dubaish but is very graceful I think. Is located in business bay and will probably hit 400m!!

http://i2.tinypic.com/swyfzr.jpg

Their website is still under construction but you can still see a video if you check it out:

www.burjalalam.com

Dream'n
Mar 8, 2006, 7:17 PM
It's a beautiful building. Very nice.

malec
Mar 8, 2006, 7:34 PM
I've added this to the database and estimated the height as 450m. Could someone draw a diagram of this thing since it's definitely one of the great ones

Fabb
Mar 8, 2006, 7:48 PM
It's great.
Insanely slender, but great.

TheOldMan
Mar 8, 2006, 8:07 PM
very futuristic looking. would look great in Dubai w/Burj Dubai and Burj al Arab.

What is the tallest commercial tower in the world ? To the roof, is it still not The Sears Tower? (i dont count spires, otherwise i would guess Taipei 101). from the renderings it doesnt look as tall as Sears. But a very distintive looking building none the less.

TheOldMan
Mar 8, 2006, 8:07 PM
very futuristic looking. would look great in Dubai w/Burj Dubai and Burj al Arab.

What is the tallest commercial tower in the world ? To the roof, is it still not The Sears Tower? (i dont count spires, otherwise i would guess Taipei 101). from the renderings it doesnt look as tall as Sears. But a very distintive looking building none the less.

TheOldMan
Mar 8, 2006, 8:09 PM
sorry, double post. damn computer !!!

R@ptor
Mar 8, 2006, 8:14 PM
Love it. Incredible slender and a flower design as the crown. :)

Tom In Chicago
Mar 8, 2006, 9:41 PM
Cool!

NYguy
Mar 9, 2006, 12:01 AM
Is it too much to ask that at least the name and height, or a general description be included in the title of the thread? If so, my apologies.

spyguy
Mar 9, 2006, 12:03 AM
I agree. Keep it standard so we can at least know what we're clicking on.

Nice tower by the way.

Spooky873
Mar 9, 2006, 1:10 AM
best one in Dubai IMO.

malec
Mar 9, 2006, 1:31 AM
The tower is exactly 101F by the way. It's not an estimation

malec
Mar 28, 2006, 1:23 PM
Tower has been launched. Will post the details when I get back from my music lesson :)

malec
Mar 28, 2006, 2:54 PM
Now if this doesn't get a new post between today and tomorrow I'll kick all your asses!!! :hell: :hell: :hell:

The tower has been officially launched. Source = http://www.ameinfo.com/81674.html
Website = www.burjalalam.com (it's still under construction but will be up and running in a few days)

Important facts from the article in case you couldn't be arsed reading:

Height: 480m
Floors: 108 (I know I know, I was wrong)
Cost: ~$1.1bn
Construction period: 2006 - 2009
Uses: 74 floors of office
27 floors of hotel and way out of your league serviced apartments
Retail space near the ground

A small render:

http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/4/23494-burj.jpg

MolsonExport
Mar 28, 2006, 3:03 PM
Who are the tenants for this and other Dubai buildings? Or are they all mostly speculative projects, financed by oil fortunes?

R@ptor
Mar 28, 2006, 3:04 PM
Height: 480m

Second tallest in Dubai :banana: :banana: :banana:

malec
Mar 28, 2006, 3:32 PM
Most of the Dubai towers are either res of hotel. This tower has just been launched so we don't know who the tenants will be yet.

BTW, this most definitely needs a diagram

Thefigman
Mar 28, 2006, 5:04 PM
Will 480M be high enough to stay in the top 5 world's tallest with the other construction going on?

malec
Mar 28, 2006, 5:24 PM
Well, if it gets completed in 2009 it won't even be in the top 5. By then the top 5 will be burj dubai, taipei 101, SWFC, Abraj al Bait and ICC. By then also, the fordham spire, tower of russia and freedom tower (hopefully) will be well on their way

Jularc
Mar 28, 2006, 5:35 PM
Beautiful tower. Very good. :tup:

colemonkee
Mar 28, 2006, 5:44 PM
Interesting and different. I like it.

Mika
Mar 29, 2006, 5:56 AM
Looks great, especially the 'flower' in the top

xiahoudun
Mar 29, 2006, 10:49 AM
Very nice design.

JBinCalgary
Mar 29, 2006, 2:25 PM
they have done it again :)

Marvel 33
Mar 29, 2006, 3:48 PM
Very unique design, it does look like a flower on the top. I like it!

smussuw
Mar 29, 2006, 4:33 PM
Now if this doesn't get a new post between today and tomorrow I'll kick all your asses!!! :hell: :hell: :hell:
:D :D :D

I think I read that 27 floors will be part of a hotel while the remaining will be offices.

malec
Mar 29, 2006, 4:40 PM
That's what it's supposed to be. Normally when I hear of a tower which will look like X, then usually it turns out to be cheap and tacky looking. Surprisingly this one incorparates the flower element quite well without going completely over the top like that trump thingy on palm jumeirah.

I wonder how the developers will be able to make their money on this one though. Usually supertalls in Dubai are res towers which require less elevators and can be made pretty thin. This is a mostly office tower though and it's really thin so I wonder how they'll be able to make their $1.1bn back. The top part will be a hotel and apartments though so there won't need to be as many elevators servicing the top and hence, less elevators taking up valuable office space. Large companies like Emaar can pull these things off though. For example, the burj dubai tower is only a part of a much larger larger development so what Emaar will do is jack up the prices on all apartments with a "burj dubai view" and make their money back for building the tower. Of course smaller developers can't do the same thing so I'm wondering how this one will work.

Yup, it was 74 floors of office, and 27 floors of serviced apartments and hotel. Aswell there's retail on the ground floor and maybe floor 1 or 2 aswell. There'll be a need of a skylobby in this one too probably.

malec
Apr 3, 2006, 11:53 PM
Actual height is 482m.

And a bigger render:

http://i2.tinypic.com/swyfzr.jpg

Stephenapolis
Apr 4, 2006, 5:19 AM
I really like this tower. It looks almost organic.

Buck
Apr 4, 2006, 10:57 PM
My word.

I like it.

Dalton
Apr 10, 2006, 2:09 AM
Christ. What's going to happen to Dubai when the oil runs out? The buildings are spectacular, but what sort of economic base does Dubai have to warrant this shockingly fast and high level of development? At the first sign of trouble, I see all the speculators bailing, ultimately leaving Dubai with dozens of derelict and crumbling super-talls.

There used to be an racially offensive term that was applied to this sort of ostentatious but economically unsound and superficial display of (temporary) wealth. A sound economy can not be built and sustained solely on real estate speculation and promises of future foreign tourism growth. I saw a show on TV a couple weeks ago detailing the construction of one of the world's largest shopping malls and an indoor ski hill. No explanation was given, though, of why people would want to fly into the Middle East to snow ski.

When Dubai builds the world's largest supercollider, the world's largest aircraft factory or the world's tallest University residence hall, I'll be more willing to change my mind about the sanity of all this construction. Right now I see a country that is institutionalizing an enormous gap between a small, wealthy and primarily foreign idle elite living in tall glass towers and a large class of poor servants, with almost no middle class. In short, a recipe for eventual disaster.

smussuw
Apr 10, 2006, 2:55 AM
Dubai is only 5% dependent on oil

Dalton
Apr 10, 2006, 3:04 AM
Well then, I stand corrected. I will try to gather more information on Dubai before talking out of my ass ;-).

malec
Apr 10, 2006, 9:27 AM
When Dubai builds the world's largest supercollider, the world's largest aircraft factory or the world's tallest University residence hall, I'll be more willing to change my mind about the sanity of all this construction. Right now I see a country that is institutionalizing an enormous gap between a small, wealthy and primarily foreign idle elite living in tall glass towers and a large class of poor servants, with almost no middle class. In short, a recipe for eventual disaster.
They are already building the world's largest aircraft factory ;).
Trade is huge in that place though, Dubai ports world (yes, the company that bought the 6 US ports) is the 3rd largest ports operator in the world now (even without the US ports) and now they're going for the aviation industry aswell. There's a good bit more stuff like this but still, there's going to be major oversupply in a few years. Just a month ago or so the stock market in Dubai (and in the Gulf in general) crashed so it's possible that the real estate market could also crash. I'd say this'll happen when some of the big projects like the palm and jumeirah beach residence are handed over. Who knows though

Michi
Apr 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
It looks like the stem of a giant plant.

Fabb
Apr 15, 2006, 5:57 AM
I' sure that it'll look nice as an isolated object, but will it be well integrated in the city ? I have no idea.

Slugbelch
May 17, 2006, 10:51 PM
Fortune Group opens sale of commercial space at Burj Al Alam
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/800/alalam3su.jpg
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:53

In one of the largest releases of freehold commercial space in the UAE, leading Dubai-based Real Estate Development Company, Fortune Group, announced that it has officially opened sale of commercial space at their recently launched flagship project, Burj Al Alam – the world’s tallest commercial tower. This project is being developed at an estimated value of AED 4 billion at Business Bay.

Commercial space in evenly distributed clusters totaling over one million sq. ft. will be made available across the first 74 floors of the 108 floor tower. Fortune will also customize space so as to meet investor requirements. The base price has been fixed at AED 1350 per sq. ft. for the commercial space of this prestigious project and is expected to attract substantial premium in the near future. The top 27 floors of the tower will be dedicated to hotels and service apartments, while rest of the space will be taken up by retail developments within the tower.

Commenting on this development, Mr. Ahmed Khoory, Chairman – Fortune Group said: “The initial pre-launch bookings and reservations itself will amount to a significant percentage of the sales. In line with our strategy, we will also offer a sizeable amount of space to global investors and seekers of premium commercial space. Our focused marketing and pricing strategy along with the given demand for commercial space in Dubai, we are confident that Burj Al Alam will be sold out in record time.”

The Group has also received overwhelming response for the huge retail space that constitutes the multiple podium levels of the tower. Said Mr. Syed Mohammad Ali, CEO – Fortune Group, “We are happy to note that some of the world’s leading brands have approached us for exclusive retail space at the Burj Al Alam. As of now, we are consciously inviting only expressions of interest from prospective investors. While the retail space will be released for sale shortly, we will screen all investors to ensure the presence of only premium brands of international repute spanning an even mix across all sectors.”

Fortune Group has tied up with Amlak to offer finance facilities of up to 90% to investors. Finance packages will be made available to UAE nationals, residents as well as GCC and other overseas investors. The tenure will vary over a span of a maximum period of 25 years based on the eligibility criteria.

To be the tallest and the most incredible edifice dedicated to commercial space, Burj Al Alam will reflect Dubai’s growing eminence in the world of business. Aside from its formidable height, the project is designed to resemble the stem of a flower with its crown shaped to signify a blooming crystal flower. An architectural wonder that tapers at the centre to blossom as it shoots into the sky is poised to be the most striking in the aesthetic sense. Burj Al Alam will also house the world’s highest hotel.

malec
May 17, 2006, 11:16 PM
I really hope sales go well for this so it can be built as soon as possible. Office space usually does sell well (for the moment anyway) because not much has been released yet.

I really love this tower, it's one of my favourites now:

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/465/42dt.jpg

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/9837/14pg2.jpg

Thskyscraper
May 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
Tears of happiness come to my eyes when I see this. This is what Dubai should be about. Not some Disneyland of WTBs, but a Disneyland of unique authentice DTBs.

bayrider
May 18, 2006, 3:44 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be the worlds tallest building or am i confusing it with another Burj al ____ tower?

Pandemonious
May 18, 2006, 4:14 AM
Burj means, "tower," right? So lots of their projects have that in the title...

From a design standpoint, it would make more sense for it to be the slimmest at the top since hotel floorplates are typically much smaller. Also, how big are the floorplates in the middle? It seems substantially smaller than almost all of those generic boxes they have next to it in those renderings. Are they going to be focusing on a whole bunch of smaller tenants, or what? That was the strategy for the very thin floorplates of the skyneedle here in Chicago, although we all know what happened to that project... The article above said something about floorspace being available in evenly distributed clusters???

Don't get me wrong... I like the aesthetics of this tower, and its height is awesome. There are just some things about this building that seem kind of weird IMO.

Also, I think the hotel space in the US7 Building in Hong Kong will be at roughly the same height.. hard to say who's will be the highest.

Lover Fighter
May 18, 2006, 5:23 AM
I have to admit, I like this tower FAR more than the Burj Dubai. It is unique and eye-catching (not that Burj Dubai's height won't be alone).

Wasn't this supposed to be the worlds tallest building or am i confusing it with another Burj al ____ tower?
You'd be thinking of the Burj Dubai. (= Dubai Tower)

malec
May 18, 2006, 1:26 PM
Burj means, "tower," right? So lots of their projects have that in the title...

From a design standpoint, it would make more sense for it to be the slimmest at the top since hotel floorplates are typically much smaller. Also, how big are the floorplates in the middle? It seems substantially smaller than almost all of those generic boxes they have next to it in those renderings. Are they going to be focusing on a whole bunch of smaller tenants, or what? That was the strategy for the very thin floorplates of the skyneedle here in Chicago, although we all know what happened to that project... The article above said something about floorspace being available in evenly distributed clusters???

Don't get me wrong... I like the aesthetics of this tower, and its height is awesome. There are just some things about this building that seem kind of weird IMO.

Also, I think the hotel space in the US7 Building in Hong Kong will be at roughly the same height.. hard to say who's will be the highest.

I presume it'll be a bunch of smaller tenants, haven't a clue though. It's just that the amount of office space compared to res that has been released so far is nothing. The office buildings announced already in business bay, especially the ones of high quality have pretty much been sold. BTW, those generic boxes don't exist and will not exist. There will be towers around it but nobody knows yet ;)

Slugbelch
May 30, 2006, 9:56 PM
Fortune Executive Tower deal for IJM
Trade Arabia (http://www.tradearabia.com/tanews/newsdetails_snREAL_article105838_cnt.html)
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Fortune Group, fresh from the launch of the world’s tallest commercial tower, Burj Al Alam, has awarded the construction of their second freehold commercial project, ‘Fortune Executive Tower’ to Malaysia’s IJM Corporation. The construction contract is valued at an estimated Dh130 million ($35.39 million).
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4760/fortuneexectower4ds.jpg
Located at the Jumeirah Lake Towers, the 35-storey Fortune Executive Tower is one of the first commercial towers to offer duplex office spaces in Dubai.

The tower will represent next generation office space and will offer investors a lucrative investment option. IJM Corporation, one of Malaysia’s largest and most diversified construction groups, is now an established player in the Middle East’s construction sector with a spate of high profile projects to its credentials.

Among the international projects that IJM has undertaken include, the 455-room Avillion Hotel, Sydney, the Binh An Water Treatment Plant in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and the award winning Gardenville Condomnium in Singapore among others.

“This significant contract for Fortune Executive Tower was no exception. IJM was our obvious choice considering their strong credentials, experience in the region and since we have a working relationship with them on our first project.”

Commenting on the win, IJM Corporation group managing director Dato Krishnan Tan said: “We are happy to work with Fortune Group on their second project as well.

“This is indeed an honour for us and we look forward to set new benchmarks with this project. We look forward to use our expertise to construct what will surely be one of the most sort after business addresses at Jumeirah Lake Towers.”

The Fortune Executive Tower, launched in August 2005, received overwhelming investor response and was sold out in less then two months. The project is scheduled for completion by the end of year 2007.

IJM is a public company based out of Malaysia, with more than 3,000 shareholders.

IJM is managed by experienced professionals who have together constructed some major landmarks across the world. IJM has boldly set up its associate company, IJM Construction (Middle East), to cater for potential projects that have been booming in this region.

Fortune Group’s current investments in Dubai real estate is valued at over Dh6.3 billion across seven exclusive commercial and residential freehold projects.

Burj Al Alam, the world’s tallest commercial tower, is the Group’s most recent and significant project development coming up at Business Bay.

Other group projects are located at Jumeirah Lake Towers, Palm - Jebel Ali, Dubai Sports City and International Media Production Zone. TradeArabia News Service

Pandemonious
May 30, 2006, 11:45 PM
I was just thinking about it, and if in fact the hotel is at the top it would be really badass to have the central projection of the flower thing at the top be a large atrium, with the hotel rooms organized around it... That would be pretty awesome and it would make sense since the hotel floors dont need to be that large.

malec
Jun 8, 2006, 1:40 PM
Excellent news!!

Fortune Group recieves overwhelming response for Burj Al Alam; sells 45% of commercial space at the iconic tower in a record four weeks

Reflecting strong investor confidence and robust demand for freehold commercial space in Dubai, leading Real Estate Development Company, Fortune Group, recently announced that 45% of commercial space at their flagship project Burj Al Alam, has been sold out in just four weeks from commencement of sale.

http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/4/23494-burj.jpg
Burj Al Aram.

The AED 4 billion landmark development at Business Bay received an overwhelming response attracting a diversified set of regional investors.

Launched in April 2006, official sale of commercial space at this landmark project, tipped to be the world's tallest commercial tower, opened during the first week of May. Fortune Group has planned an investor road show in Abu Dhabi early next week that will kick start a series of out of city sales initiatives that will also span select international markets.

Burj Al Alam is the most incredible edifice dedicated to commercial space in Dubai's growing reputation in the world of business. Of its total 108-storeys, 74 storeys will be dedicated to offices, while 27-storey will be taken up by hotels and service apartments. The balance will be covered by retail spaces.

Terming the investor response as phenomenal, Mr. Ahmed Khoory, Chairman - Fortune Group said,

'Burj Al Alam is indeed a world landmark and I am delighted with the response we have received for this project. We adopted a focused marketing and pricing strategy which contributed towards the strong investor response. The sell out of 45% of the project in record four weeks from commencement of sale of commercial space clearly indicates the ever-increasing demand for freehold commercial properties.'

'We are also pleased to learn that prime sections of this prestigious commercial space is already trading at a premium in the secondary market. This clearly indicates the confidence buyers have in Burj Al Alam's potential to appreciate in value,' Mr. Khoory added.

Commenting further, Mr. Syed Mohammad Ali, CEO - Fortune Group said, 'Our next step is to tap new markets. Our immediate focus is on Abu Dhabi where we see immense potential from that growing city. We will take our project to the investors there early next week. Our future plans are to conduct international road shows in order to increase the mix of investor profile.'

Aside from its formidable height of over 480 meters, the Burj Al Alam is designed to resemble the stem of a flower with its crown shaped to signify a blooming crystal flower. An architectural wonder that tapers at the centre to blossom as it shoots into the sky is poised to be the most striking in the aesthetic sense. Burj Al Alam will also house the world's highest hotel. Expected to be completed by the end of 2009, the total commercial space available at the tower is over one million sq. feet.

Fortune Group has tied up with Amlak to offer finance facilities of up to 90% to investors. Finance packages will be made available to UAE nationals, residents as well as GCC and other overseas investors. The tenure will vary over a span of a maximum period of 25 years based on the eligibility criteria.

Fortune Group's current investments in Dubai real estate is valued at over AED 6.3 billion across seven exclusive commercial and residential freehold projects. An integral part of Dubai's freehold market, the Fortune Group has developed the most innovative residential and commercial spaces in the Emirate. Burj Al Alam is the Group's most significant project development coming up at Business Bay. Other group projects are located at Jumeirah Lake Towers, Palm - Jebel Ali, Dubai Sports City and International Media Production Zone.

BTW, could a mod please change the height and floor count to 482m and 108 floors please?

Fabb
Jun 8, 2006, 3:38 PM
xpected to be completed by the end of 2009, the total commercial space available at the tower is over one million sq. feet.

... which is not a lot for a tower that tall.

phillyskyline
Jun 8, 2006, 4:36 PM
Im lovin this design. It will be a nice compliment to Burj Dubai.

WonderlandPark
Jun 8, 2006, 4:46 PM
Isn't this still considered mixed use? Outside of a couple of levels of shops serving the tower and an observation level, Sears is otherwise all office. Not 28 floors hotel. This is a mixed use like Jin Mao, John Hancock and others.

malec
Jun 8, 2006, 5:04 PM
It is mixed use, they're just bullshitting

-GR2NY-
Jun 8, 2006, 5:12 PM
Whatif a giant comes along and picks it, thinking its a flower?

Ktulured55
Jun 8, 2006, 5:19 PM
482 meters x 3.280839895013123 ft/meter = 1,581.36 ft

..as an FYI to compare to memorized heights of American buildings ...
.... this thing is over 100 ft. taller than sears tower

taller than Freedom Tower (minus spire)
almost as tall as Fordham Spire (minus spire)

:D

dubai 1
Sep 30, 2006, 9:33 PM
is there any news on the tower or any pic's of the site which it will be constructed???????????

malec
Sep 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
It's to start at the end of the year. Not sure but think they were doing soil testing a while back. No doubt there'll be a ceremony when it starts and will be in the news.

malec
Nov 7, 2006, 6:39 PM
Apparantly the land has now been handed over by the master developer and that soil testing is going on. Hopefully excavation will start soon

ZZ-II
Nov 7, 2006, 8:37 PM
as far as i know there was groundbreaking these day's

malec
Nov 7, 2006, 8:39 PM
BTW could a mod please change the title to 484m and 108 storeys?

Fabb
Nov 7, 2006, 8:46 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/sahmad1/f92a29e3.jpghttp://img457.imageshack.us/img457/795/20061106003vb4.jpg

^Burj Al Alam reminds me of this tower in Doha.

Lecom
Nov 7, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well then, I stand corrected. I will try to gather more information on Dubai before talking out of my ass ;-).
Why can't every misinformed person about Dubai (or anything else, for that matter) be as civil as you? Most would go like "NO UR WRONG, DUBAI IS DUMB ANYWAY" or something along those lines.

By the way, this thread is red-x-a-plenty. Any working renders?

Nowhereman1280
Nov 7, 2006, 11:01 PM
^^^ Simple, because everyone hates being wrong, and it takes a "real man (or woman)" to accept it graciously.

BTW, this thing is still 150 shorter than the Sears tower including radio masts, which I like to count because they complement her sinister badassery so well.

That being said, I would love to have this thing built in Chicago, its definately one of the classier designs being built in Dubai today!

malec
Nov 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
Red Xes? All the renders work fine for me.

rbowk
Nov 8, 2006, 7:10 AM
is it being built or what

calgary34
Nov 9, 2006, 5:09 AM
me love to go on top floor of that building.

ZZ-II
Nov 9, 2006, 6:39 PM
yes me too ^^

Stephan23
Nov 10, 2006, 3:46 PM
Construction has started at Monday!!

Soil testing, breaking ground etc. piling will follow. Got this from the Fortune Group!!

malec
Nov 10, 2006, 5:31 PM
I already said soil testing started. That's not real construction though.

rbowk
Nov 10, 2006, 10:57 PM
oh thank bloody god its about time and i love that building

Sky Tower
Nov 13, 2006, 11:30 PM
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/465/42dt.jpg

Anyone know what's going on that spot for the un-named supertall nearby?

The footprint is huge! (Bigger than the Burj Tower footprint)

malec
Nov 14, 2006, 12:51 AM
^^ You're looking at an obsolete picture :D
I thought you would have noticed since you saw the recent pics in the dubai3d thread in the cityscapes subforum. The dancing towers will be built there and the tallest of them is about 320m. There will be a tower that's close to the "unknown supertall" height though and also has a pyramidal shape. We've no idea of the location but I put it somewhere to the left of this pic.

And now a bit of news on this:

Fortune Group commences work on Dh4bn Burj Al Alam
[Sunday, November 12, 2006 1:48:00 pm]

http://i15.tinypic.com/2mq6hz6.jpg

The Dubai-based real estate major, Fortune Group has announced commencement of the work of AED 4 billion Burj Al Alam, slated to be the world’s tallest commercial tower with 108 floors at the Business Bay.

Senior officials of Fortune Group said after a foundation stone laying ceremony at the project site that the soil testing contract for the project, schedules to be completed by 2010, has been given to Fugro International.

The ground breaking ceremony which was held at the project location in Business Bay was also attended by Ahmed Hashim Khoory, Hashim Al Dabal CEO – Business Bay, Shahab Lutfi Business Development Director – Business Bay, David Abood Business Development Manager – Business Bay and Khalid Abdull Zainal Head Sales and Distribution – AMLAK.

Burj Al Alam is the flagship project of the Fortune Group and the tower is dedicated to commercial space, adding value to Dubai’s growing reputation as the world-class hub for business. Of its total 108-storeys, 74 storeys will be dedicated to offices, while 27-storey will be taken up by hotels and service apartments. The balance will be covered by retail spaces.
Speaking at the ground breaking ceremony, Mr. Syed Muhammad Ali, CEO, Fortune Group said, “Burj Al Alam is a landmark project which will add significant value and appeal to the lifestyle that Business Bay will offer. We have believed in working with best-of-the-breed project partners so that we ensure timely completion of the project without compromising on quality.”

Commenting on the project, he added, “Tipped to be the tallest and the most incredible edifice, Burj Al Alam will reflect Dubai’s growing eminence in the world of business. The project will offer investors a high life in the heart of the Middle East’s global business hub.”

The prestigious project will cover a total built-up area of over 4 million sq. ft. and the iconic tower is strategically designed to accentuate the view of Business Bay creek in the south and the Burj Dubai super high rise in the north.

Speaking at the ground breaking ceremony, Mr. Shahab Lutfi, Business Development Director, Business Bay said “Dubai’s is fast emerging as a business powerhouse, with real estate being one among the biggest beneficiaries of Dubai’s trail-blaze growth. The Business Bay, backed by the strategic vision of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, is set to become one of the major contributors to this unprecedented growth.”

He further added, “Fortune Group has to its credit some of Dubai’s pioneering developments including the world’s tallest commercial tower. It is a pleasure for us to have Fortune Group as part of Business Bay.”
Burj Al Alam will illustrate architectural ingenuity, adding a new dimension to Dubai’s eye-catching cityscape. More importantly, it will back the economic initiatives of the government by creating the most futuristic infrastructure for businesses to operate and grow.

The building features a 6-storey `crown’ that consists of a sky garden, Turkish bath, club facilities and a helipad. Each office floor plate is divided into six `petals’, allowing flexibility for mixed tenancy planning. An extensive podium design with speciality design retail spaces featuring luxury designer brand will serve as first point of approach for pedestrian traffic.

The Fugro Group of companies is an international consulting firm that provides accurate and economical measurements and interpretations from soil, water and air together with creative solutions to match Client requirements. Operating on a worldwide scale, the Group employs more than 8000 people in over 275 offices in 50 countries located in Europe, the territory of the former USSR, North and South America, Middle East, Australia and Africa. Headquartered in Leidschendam, Netherlands, Fugro is the world's largest multi-disciplinary company in the field of survey, geotechnics and environmental investigations.

Sky Tower
Nov 14, 2006, 1:27 AM
:previous: Oh yeah, it was the pyramid that threw me! ;)

Bergenser
Nov 14, 2006, 7:55 PM
Topic:
This building has a very nice design,
not all buildings planned in Dubai has
so good design...:D

Off-Topic:
Does someone know which building it is? How tall it is?
is it a thread about it?

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4269/whatbuildingisthisgn7.png

Sky Tower
Nov 14, 2006, 9:58 PM
:previous: It's just an early marker to show a plot of a known size.

We now know it to be the dancing towers....

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1812/dancing14ke.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2028/untitledrj9.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/646/untitled2rm1.jpg

There are more of malecs models at his Dubai 2015 thread http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=105770

Maldive
Nov 15, 2006, 12:48 AM
Malec you must be a millionaire by now. ;-)

malec
Jan 12, 2007, 12:47 AM
No digging yet:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/352722077_a3a2645bc2_b.jpg

Hollie Maea
Jan 12, 2007, 1:35 AM
^^The plot for the Burj Al Alam is the area right above the BD cranes, just to the left of the blue fenced area, is that correct?

malec
Jan 12, 2007, 4:32 PM
^^ Yes

DUBAI2015
Mar 10, 2007, 6:58 PM
Any Updates? Like have they gone U/C?

ZZ-II
Mar 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
think they'll start in the next 2 months or so

ATLksuGUY
Mar 17, 2007, 1:07 AM
Dont want to burst any bubbles, but this is kinda ugly. Sorry probably too harsh a term, but its like somethin a 4th grader designed for a science project. its too idealistic, not purposfull. Please tell me if im off base, but its an opinion, and unfortunately weve all got one

Dac150
Mar 17, 2007, 2:12 AM
I disagree with you, but your right saying everyone has an opinion. No problem.

AltinD
Mar 17, 2007, 10:10 AM
Dont want to burst any bubbles, but this is kinda ugly. Sorry probably too harsh a term, but its like somethin a 4th grader designed for a science project. its too idealistic, not purposfull. Please tell me if im off base, but its an opinion, and unfortunately weve all got one

If you think on terms of North American architectural landscape (and mindset) you might be right, but this is designed/to be build in a totally different, 21st Century enviroment, so there's nothing wrong with it. :yes:

malec
Mar 19, 2007, 11:11 PM
Don't know when exactly when this picture was taken but was taken from the BD and seems pretty recent. The plot is clearly marked but doesn't look like much has been done. I don't know whether that stuff on site is machinery or just trees :)

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4315/burjdubaibusinessbaymaryk4.th.jpg (http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=burjdubaibusinessbaymaryk4.jpg)

I actually love this tower btw. Normally I'm not a fan of this type of design but think it really works here.

Stephan23
Mar 20, 2007, 9:05 AM
Why this height?? It's 484 meters high!!!!

AltinD
Mar 20, 2007, 9:47 AM
Yes, a moderator should change the thread title to: 108 Floors, 484 m / 1,578 ft

Slugbelch
Jun 18, 2007, 1:34 PM
http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/18546/2004481711137012024_rs.jpg
http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/19547/2004495498866762804_rs.jpg
http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/20053/2004488347662054597_rs.jpg
emelwageeh

malec
Jun 18, 2007, 2:18 PM
^^ Nice find, what are these, sketches from the architect?

Pity that there's still nothing happening on site though

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2034/imresolt03vv9.jpg

Slugbelch
Jul 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
^I really only have time these days to do research on the BD tower, so these things I find are just quick grabs I get while I'm on my way surfin' and I'm not sure where they came from. They were from an artist though and not from conventional websites. Kinda like these here were from some investor I think

Sitemap:
http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/20383/2004239396844468674_rs.jpg

Level 5-26:
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/20548/2004265305275429121_rs.jpg

Level 28-39:
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/19605/2004233438525232940_rs.jpg

Level 40-51:
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/18908/2004226723683091601_rs.jpg

Level 60-74:
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/20302/2004255149181892229_rs.jpg

Level 100 up:
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/20548/2004226803207413736_rs.jpg
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/21082/2004234062809776173_rs.jpg

AED 2,114,986 To AED 4,808,967 (Per Sq/FT AED 1,510)

Installment as follows:
Booking Deposit 10%
15th May 2007 15%
15th November 2007 10%
15th May 2008 10%
15th November 2008 10%
15th May 2009 10%
15th November 2009 10%
15th May 2010 10%
On Completion 15%

aluminum
Jul 7, 2007, 12:59 AM
Another one ? Hasn't Dubai finished yet ?

SkyscraperMan
Jul 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
Christ. What's going to happen to Dubai when the oil runs out? The buildings are spectacular, but what sort of economic base does Dubai have to warrant this shockingly fast and high level of development? At the first sign of trouble, I see all the speculators bailing, ultimately leaving Dubai with dozens of derelict and crumbling super-talls.

There used to be an racially offensive term that was applied to this sort of ostentatious but economically unsound and superficial display of (temporary) wealth. A sound economy can not be built and sustained solely on real estate speculation and promises of future foreign tourism growth. I saw a show on TV a couple weeks ago detailing the construction of one of the world's largest shopping malls and an indoor ski hill. No explanation was given, though, of why people would want to fly into the Middle East to snow ski.

Acutally on TV a few months ago (actually probably a few years ago), before I had even heard of Burj Dubai, Burj Al Alam, and Al Burj, there was a Discovery Channel type episode where they "explained" your above point. They said that UAE is currantly very dependant on oil (I had no idea 5% was dependent hahaha), and needed something to "replace" it because it was running out. It said that by building a super tourism hot spot, they would no longer depend on oil. So all of these major projects, supertalls, resorts, and parks are built for tourism. Therefore, all of the tourism money would replace all of the oil money. That is what I saw on that episode. I thought it was very interesting, and I hope it "answers" your above comment. :)

malec
Jul 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
Latest pictures from the site. Looks like they're just moving around some sand now, don't know why the project board's lying on the ground like that.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9026/al2go5.th.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=al2go5.jpg)

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2046/al1ca4.th.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=al1ca4.jpg)

rbowk
Jul 16, 2007, 7:13 AM
so this thing is being built

Imre
Jul 18, 2007, 6:11 AM
18/July/2007

Burj Al Alam

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9307/imresolt10zo4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2395/imresolt11qs2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5027/imresolt12id5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8672/imresolt13bv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8804/imresolt15ex0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5234/imresolt16lc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7815/imresolt20vt7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7861/imresolt21ze6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6282/imresolt22vo9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8926/imresolt24hz6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7007/imresolt25nj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9968/imresolt26oz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AltinD
Jul 18, 2007, 8:03 AM
Better now?

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3874/imresolt21ze6ad2.jpg

Imre
Jul 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
yes, thanks AltinD:)

malec
Aug 5, 2007, 11:43 PM
New render and updates from the website:

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/buildingdescription_img.jpg

July 23 , 2007

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img01_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img02_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img03_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img04_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img05_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img06_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img07_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img08_31july07.jpg

http://www.burjalalam.com/images/const_images/img09_31july07.jpg

WonderlandPark
Aug 6, 2007, 2:48 PM
The new render looks quite nice. Looks like this is almost ready to move into U/C.

Lecom
Aug 6, 2007, 6:25 PM
For some reason, I never really got hyped about this tower, but it's sure to make a strining futuristic addition to Dubai's skyline. Its shape is awkward, but it's sleek, memorable and original, and I hope it gets off the ground soon.

SNT1
Aug 6, 2007, 6:53 PM
more of this innovation, and less crap designs like those in Marina!

It looks great, especially the last rendering.

Ktulured55
Aug 9, 2007, 7:23 PM
I love this tower, it is one of my favortite upcoming Dubai towers. I'm glad it's very close to BD because BD is so tall that it will look nice on the skyline for something to kinda/sorta be up there with it. Close to 1,578 ft will be great!!! :tup:

Hopefully other 1500+ buildings will end up being developed close to BD as well.

And yes, this looks VERY close to being U/C. The ground is looking to be ready for it. Anyone know when it officially will be U/C?