HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum



St. Catharines

First settled in 1798, Shipman's Corner (as St. Catharines was first called) started off as a church and tavern at the crossroads of several old native trails. After the War of 1812, the settlement prospered and quickly grew with the completion of the first Welland Canal built in 1824-1833.

St. Catharines was incorporated as a town in 1845 and a city in 1876. The Welland Canal, now in its third incarnation, remains an important part of the vitality of the city.


Building Search  




No buildings found