|Lancaster, nicknamed the "Red Rose" city, is the seat of Lancaster County. Named after Lancashire, England, from the house of Lancashire, it was the largest inland town in America from the 1760-1800's. The city maintains much of its colonial architecture and is situated in one of the nation's richest agricultural regions.|
Lancaster became the nation's capital for one day when the Continental Congress met here in September 1777. The city was also the state capital prior to 1812. Lancaster was home to James Buchanan, the only US President from Pennsylvania.
Today, Lancaster and its surrounding countryside is the historic home of the Pennsylvania Dutch (Germans), often referred to as the Amish.
Official website: http://www.cityoflancasterpa.com/