Like this building on Facebook
| - residential|
| - education|
| - library|
| - office|
| - lowrise|
| - flag|
| - masonry|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - clay|
| - brick|
• Longest residential building in the world.
• Karl-Marx-Hof contains 1382 dwellings for 5000 people. Beside this, there is a library, many amenities, including laundromats, baths, kindergartens, a library, doctor offices and business offices.
• The building was restored in the 1980ies.
• The whole area is 156000m². However, the total area of the building is just 28900m² (18.5%).
• Karl Marx-Hof was well-known during the 'Februaraufstand' (English: February Uprising) of the 1934 'Österreichischer Bürgerkrieg' (English: Austrian Civil War). Those engaged in the revolt barricaded themselves inside the building and were forced to surrender after the Austrian army, the police, and the Austrofascist paramilitary Heimwehr bombarded the site regardless of the unarmed dwellers, mainly worker families, with artillery. During the connection, Karl Marx-Hof was renamed 'Heiligenstädter Hof', but took its original name back in 1945.
• Info Page: http://www.dasrotewien.at/online/page.php?P=11897
• Photo Links:
• Google Search
| || |
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.