Like this building on Facebook
| - office|
| - monument|
| - warehouse|
| - highrise|
| - art deco|
| - glass|
| - granite|
| - brick|
| - concrete|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Main roof||104 ft||Building map|
• Architect: Karel de Bazel.
• The architect died in 1923, three years before the building would be completed. The construction was continued and completed by his chef de bureau C. van de Linde, along with designer Adolf Leonard Gendt. The sculptures are the work of Joseph Mendes da Costa, Lambertus Zijl and Hendrik A. van den Eijnde. The stained glass windows are the design of Anthony Derk Inderen and Joep Nicolas.
• After serving many years as an office for the 'Nederlandse Handelsmaatschappij' (NHM) and ABN/AMRO Bank this monumental building was renovated by Claus & Kaan after which it became the city archive of Amsterdam.
• The concrete skeleton of the building - designed by ADN of Gendt - is filled with vowels, alternated with strips of granite. The massiveness of the building is tempered by a number of vertical jump back in the facade.
• The building is two light courts. These were originally only interrupted by a glass floor on the third floor. In the open light construction and the detailing of the exterior is the work of kinship with the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan felt. The renovation was in 2006 the light courts again restored to its former state. Almost all the interior parts of the building, such as floor mosaics, air frames, telephone booths and the establishment of the offices, including furniture, were also designed by the Basel. Although many in the interior has been postponed, including the large conference room on the third floor has been preserved in their original state.
• The building was declared a monument in 1991.
• Google Search
| || |
Drawing by Yojo
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.