Like this building on Facebook
|São Vito & Mercúrio|
|Avenida do Estado 3197|
Sao Paulo SP Brazil
|Units / Rooms||624|
| - residential|
| - education|
| - other|
| - ruin|
| - unused|
| - highrise|
| - modern|
| - masonry|
| - glass|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| - brick|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architect: Zarzur Kogan.
28-floors, built in 1959, 624 apartments of 25 to 30m².
26-floors, built in 1955, 84 (138) apartments.
• Located near Mercado Municipal Paulistano, São Paulo City Municipal Markt, a big and very beautiful old Art-Deco building of 1932, and Tamanduateí River, those buildings got abandonned and has deteriorated for decades and were invaded from people of huge social problems making of those buildings the biggest Vertical Slam in South America or even in world, maybe the biggest criminal building problem in city, most occupied from people homeless, unemployed or engaged on informal activities, who catch paper and other old objects in street for recycling, very poor and marginal ones, but after collecting many old books, made here the biggest private 'library' of old books in city, voted the 5th ugliest thing in São Paulo in a popular survey realized by the magazine Veja São Paulo. Nobody knows exactly how many people live in this complex, City Hall says 1100 people, but the building administration says 3084 people live there in poor conditions.
• Many movements to imploding this complex was in discussion in city, but until now the buildings remain obsolete and very dirty, even not counting the fact of imense grafitti overall on unimmagined places of facade, which is an unbelivible appearance of a construction another world.
• This complex is the tallest in this Neighborhood of lowrises making of them a mark of poverty and useless in city. Some very low-cost projects of renovating it in an human friendly use and renovation of facade is from Architect Roberto Loeb proposed, but until now not in implementation to keep the inhabitants with some quality of life. In 2004, at Marta Suplicy government, the renovation of building is thought converting all 24 apartments per floor of Mercurio part to only 15, but this never happened. A gastronomy school for poor teenagers stays at ground floor. The interior of both buildings does not have a clear division between them anymore, while many walls and divisions were demolished by criminals. There are also other buildings in city at same conditions, maybe more than 30, but this is the most important and polemic in this situation.
• Recently, January 2009, The São Paulo City had the Mercúrio vacancy, the most famous building next São Vito, both to being demolished to make room for a square. In expropriation, owners were indemnified with values between R$ 25 to R$ 35 thousand, not more than US$ 10 thousand. But the tenants received assistance of R$ 2,400. The city hall has a warrant for the judicial vacancy of Mercury. Studies of the Municipal Secretary of Housing show that the reform of the buildings is not feasible. Each apartment would cost up to R$ 90 thousand, while not currently popular apartments costing more than R$ 50 thousand. However, the demolition is also expensive, R$ 9.3 million, or enough to pay 186 popular apartments.
• Photo Links of today Situation: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7639063
• Photo Link of Renovation Facade New Situation never made:
• More about the planning this Architect here:
• Google Search
| || |
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.