Like this building on Facebook
|MAC - Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Niterói|
|Mirante da Boa Viagem, s/n BR-24210-390|
Niteroi RJ Brazil
|Floor Area||2,500 m²|
| - museum|
| - monument|
| - observation|
| - restaurant|
| - theatre|
| - lowrise|
| - concrete core|
| - futurism|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| - fabric|
| - concrete|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
|Diameter disc||164 ft||Website Description|
|Including the Basement in inclinated hill at seacoast.|
|Diameter base||30 ft||''|
• Architect: Oscar Niemeyer.
• The area chosen was an observation deck on a hill with sea sightseen. The Architect tried to fit the simple structure of a landed flying UFO object in contrast of future with the landscape of sea coast.
• It was necessary 5 years to complete the structure, with 300 workers. For that 5500 tons of material was removed in digging.The concrete used could be possible to erect a 10-storey building. A water mirror of 817 m² of surface and 60cm deep is around the structure.
• The big ramp of red concrete has 98m of curves to 2 entrances in different levels. At the first is found the reception and administration. The upper one has the main saloon of expositions with 1100m² including the glass to admire the panoramic view of 'Baía de Guanabara'.
• The glasses are special one with 70 pieces triplex, with 18 mm thickness, in brass color. Each piece has 4,80m high and 1,85m wide. The steel frames are inclinated 40° to the horizontal level, which support 20 people weight. The floor has 3.000 m² of blue carpet.
• At basement has an auditorium for 60 people and the restaurant with also glass to appreciate the 'Baía de Guanabara'. Energy central of 800 KVA, 3 trafos, air-conditioning systems, hidraulic pumps and 2 water reservoir with 6.000 m³ each.
• Furniture of Anna Maria Niemeyer. The structural project is from Engineer Bruno Contarini. The free in air supports 400 kg/m² and wind of 200 km/h. Direct and indirect Ilumination of Peter Gasper project. 34 airplane headlamps of 1000W each imported from USA are used for external ilumination located in the water mirror given an appearance the flying object is levitating 10m above sea water. The main room has 400 lamps & 200 halogenes for the art objects. Also the ramps are iluminated for security reasons.
• Photo Link: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1045/1419466576_f2b90aac76.jpg
• Google Search
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.