|Edifício Altino Arantes|
|Rua João Brícola, 24 x Rua Boa Vista BR-01014-010 Centre|
Sao Paulo SP Brazil
| - office|
| - museum|
| - highrise|
| - art deco|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - wood|
| - marble|
| - stucco|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| - concrete|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architects: Franz Heep, Plínio Botelho do Amaral.
• Owner: Banco Santander, ex-Sede Banco Banespa.
• Constructors: Construtora Camargo & Mesquita , Plínio Botelho do Amaral , FWT Técnica em Revestimentos, Franki, Empresa Concessionária de Produtos Ltda., Elevadores Atlas Schindler, Indústria Paulista de Porcelanas Argilex, Metal Tupy, Schwartz-Hautmont, Tarumã Engenharia.
• The Empire States Buidling in New York inspired constructor, changing the original project by Camargo & Mesquita construction company the original project from Plínio Botelho do Amaral, resembling it.
• Its construction was holded during World War II and resuming after the war, begun in September 13, 1939 and finished almost eight years later on June 27, 1947. The first foundation stone was placed by São Paulo former governor, Ademar de Barros.
• Tallest concrete structure in the world from 1947 until 1962, surpassing Prédio Martinelli as the tallest building in São Paulo and afterwords surpassed by Mirante do Vale was completed in same centre and also by Marina City I in Chicago.
• In 1951 the observation deck was opened to public visitation on weekdays. Every month about 5600 people visit the observation deck.
• The main lobby floor-to-ceiling height is 16 meters, all covered in Marble, and in 1988 received a 13 meter tall luster with more than 1.5 tons weight. The piece has 150 lamps and 10 thousand crystal accessories.
• It has 1119 windows and its staircase has 900 steps.
• Although it is not the tallest in the city, is located on the highest point of old downtown, with the observation deck one of the best spots in town for sightseeing.
• The building facade is covered by porcelain pieces; inside the building some floors are decorated with Carrara marble, Ipê and Jacarandá parquet wood.
• In the 1960´s the building was renamed from Edifício Sede do Banespa to Altino Arantes in honor of the first Brazilian president of the bank. After privatization the state bank, Banco Santander removed the big 'Banespa' sign atop in July 2007, but until today is not again placed because the law in city avoiding signs and Propaganda visual pollution.
• Its bank vault, which has circular doors of sixteen tons each, was made by York Safe & Lock Co. from New York. It offers 2,000 safety deposit boxes in several sizes.
• The flag atop the structure is 7.2m high and 5.4 meters wide. Because huge wind the flag is replaced every month. It is the Coat of Arms and SP city flag symbol.
• There is a museum in its 3rd floor, with photos of the 40´s of objects the inauguration time and newspaper articles about the building.
• There are three water reservoirs in the tower - one in the basement, one in the 17th floor and one in the 31st floor.
• The foundation pillars reach a 14m maximum depth.
• The facade that faces Praça Antônio Prado is clad in 20,000 sq meters of ceramic tiles.
• Photo Link: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/gutooo/banespa2.jpg
• Google Search
| || |
Drawing by Val5413