Like this building on Facebook
|Mandarin Oriental Hotel|
|3rd Ring Rd. North x Chaoyang Rd., Chaoyang District|
Beijing BJ China
|Units / Rooms||241|
| - ruin|
| - communication|
| - hotel|
| - office|
| - theatre|
| - highrise|
| - structural expressionism|
| - glass|
| - steel|
| - concrete, reinforced|
| ||Heights|| ||Value||Source / Comments|| |
• Architects: Rem Koolhaas’ OMA - Office for Metropolitan Architecture, East China Architectural Design & Research Institute Co. Ltd.
• Others: Arup, Dorsser Blesgraaf, Front Inc., Inside Outside, Lerch Bates & Associates, Lighting Planners Associates Inc., Sandy Brown Associates LLP.
• Coordinates: 39°54'57''N, 116°27'28''E.
• This 5-star hotel, located next to the CCTV complex, was destroyed by fire caused by fireworks located atop it on February 9th, 2009. It happened in the final hours of the Chinese lunar new year when people set off fireworks around the city. The fireworks were from a type not officially permitted to be used.
• The angular building was a symbol of Beijing's recent transformation and modernization. It had been scheduled to open in late 2009, but that was postponed.
• Mandarin Oriental had been signed a long term contract of hotel management, but has no ownership interest in the building. The owner and developer of it is goind take time to complete it.
• After the fire, the building did not collapsed. Its structure of zinc remained standing. One fireman died from toxic gas.
• Info Page: http://www.eikongraphia.com/?p=1453
• About the fire: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/09/china.hotel.fire/index.html
• Photos Before Fire:
• Photos After Fire: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drea_genf/3269408450/sizes/l/
• Google Search
| || |
Do you see any incorrect data on this page? Please let our editors know of any corrections you can make by posting them in the Database Corrections section of the discussion forum (open to the public).
Terms & Conditions
All content displayed on and contained within this page is subject to Skyscraper Source Media Inc.'s Terms and Conditions. No content displayed on this page may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without prior written permission by Skyscraper Source Media Inc. All content © Copyright Skyscraper Source Media Inc.